BobenGeorge
Sr.Customer Engineer- Projects at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good AI with an easy initial setup and good scalability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily implement this solution for customers.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers good implementation. The AI is excellent. The initial setup is pretty straightforward.  The solution can scale.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more stable and secure.

We've been dealing with the product for a few years. We tend to use it from project to project. It's likely been about three or so years.

I can't speak to the stability of the solution that well. That's something a customer would know more about, as they would deal with it on a day-to-day basis. However, my understanding is that it could be a bit better.

What do I think about

What is our primary use case?

We primarily implement this solution for customers.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers good implementation.

The AI is excellent.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The solution can scale.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more stable and secure.

The scalability potential is pretty high. I would rate it at an eight out of ten. If a company needs to scale it, it can do so.

I'm not sure of the exact number of customers on the solution at this time.

I don't deal with technical support. I don't have a clear idea of how they are in terms of the support they have on offer as I've never been in touch directly. However, it's my understanding that they are okay and there isn't really an aspect of technical support that needs to be improved.

The deployment is typically straightforward, however, it depends on the policies the company has to put in place. Other than that, it's not too much of a hassle. I cannot recall the exact amount of time it takes to deploy the product. There's typically a session and then discussions with the client before deployment even takes place, however, it's all part of the process.

As I wasn't part of any technical implementation, I cannot speak to how many individuals are part of an implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We're implementors.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's been pretty well received so far. The capabilities are quite good.

I'd recommend the solution to others.

BB
IT Expert at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Excellent reporting features and a good user interface with very fast packet data

• "The solution integrates well with other Trend Micro products."
  • "The threat response could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution due to a recommendation from our partner.

What is most valuable?

The solution is able to detect custom viruses that have been targeted at us.

The solution integrates well with other Trend Micro products.

The solution's interface is good.

There is very good computer visibility and machine control.

The reporting features are very good.

The integration of packet data is very fast.

What needs improvement?

The price of the solution could be improved. For us, this is the most important aspect that could be better. If they could improve their pricing strategy, it would impress us.

The threat response could be a bit better.

I believe I've been using the solution for around five years now.

The solution is stable. We haven't experienced any issues with the stability at all. There haven't been any bugs or glitches. There haven't been any crashes either.

Although someone on our team may have called technical support, I personally have not. I can't speak to any direct experience with them.

For many years, we used Symantec. We were not satisfied with it, so we decided to switch.

The initial setup is easy. We found it straightforward.

The solution was deployed for our company, for the whole infrastructure.

It might have taken us up to a week to deploy it.

I handled the implementation myself.

What other advice do I have?

We have about 3,000 people in our company, and of that, about 2,800 are on the solution.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Right now, we anticipate the solution will work well with different vendors. However, this is still a big question for us, as our infrastructure is Cisco, and they provide us with integrations for visibility, connector response threads, etc. At this point, we're considering switching entirely over from Trend Micro to Cisco because we have so much on Cisco already. Our management will ultimately decide on the direction the company decides to go.

Learn what your peers think about Trend Micro Smart Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RB
Software Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Good security with helpful notifications and great performance

• "We do get notifications, which are helpful."
  • "I cannot recall noticing any missing features."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security purposes. We have a Corporate IT who is dealing with the solution directly. My understanding is that they are using it only for a separate antivirus.

What is most valuable?

The performance is okay. It is a very good solution. Our Corporate IT team is able to apply some controls and restrictions which are quite effective.

We do get notifications, which are helpful.

The security is good, and so far, we have not had any breaches.

What needs improvement?

We haven't had any problems with the solution so far. I cannot recall noticing any missing features.

We have used the solution for years at this point.

The performance is okay and the solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I cannot really speak too authoritatively on the scalability, however, my understanding is that it is okay.

There are less than 100 users on the solution currently.

I've never been in touch with technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup. My understanding is that the IT team only pushes it using SCCM. It was our IT team that did the implementation. It's a team of three.

I am not the one who is administering this antivirus solution. Therefore, I can't speak about the cost surrounding the product. While there is a cost, I do not know the exact amount.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an end-user of the product.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been happy with its capabilities over the years.

I would recommend the solution, as, so far, we haven't had any issues whatsoever.

Sridhar Rudra
Security Professional at Qatar Computer Services WLL
Easy to set up with fair pricing and good stability

• "The next-generation antivirus features are excellent."
  • "I'm not sure about the cloud migration part, in terms of whether it is seamless or not."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for protection.

What is most valuable?

The DLP is very good.

The next-generation antivirus features are excellent.

The initial setup is easy.

We have found the solution to be stable.

The scalability is very good.

The price of the product is fair.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure about the cloud migration part, in terms of whether it is seamless or not.

We'd like the solution to incorporate more ETL functionalities in the future.

I've been using the solution for almost a year now. It hasn't been that long just yet.

The product has been stable so far. We haven't had any issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is good.

The scalability of the product is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We mostly deal with enterprise-level organizations and it works very well for them.

As I am in sales, I do not directly deal with technical support. Therefore, I cannot provide feedback in terms of the level of their service. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

The implementation process is not complex. It's very simple and straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

The pricing is very reasonable. It's not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are a managed security service provider, and we provide solutions to our customers.

We are existing platinum partners with Trend Micro.

I am on the sales side, not delivery, therefore, I cannot speak to which version of the solution we are using.

Overall, it's a good product. I would rate it at an eight out of ten.

Nadeem Syed
CEO at Haniya Technologies
Integrates well, robust features, and straightforward installation

• "One of the most valuable features of Trend Micro Smart Protection is the integration with other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

Trend Micro Smart Protection is used for network security.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features of Trend Micro Smart Protection is the integration with other solutions.

Trend Micro Smart Protection is not much different than the Apex One, but has a few more features and is more robust.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more compatible with other operating systems.

I have been using Trend Micro Smart Protection for approximately three months.

Trend Micro Smart Protection is stable.

The solution is scalable.

I have approximately 100 customers using this solution.

The support is very good.

I use other security solutions, such as Trend Micro Apex One.

The installation is straightforward. If you have a smaller network environment it could take one day for the implementation and if it is a larger complex environment it could take approximately four days.

We use one certified technician to do the implementation and maintenance of the solution.

There is an annual license required for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. However, those looking to purchase this solution should first look at their network to understand the requirements and what they want to do exactly. Trend Micro Smart Protection might be a solution that is more than what is required and Trend Micro Apex One could be sufficient in their use case. Overall choosing between Apex One or Smart Protection is up to them to decide based on their use case.

I rate Trend Micro Smart Protection an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    KK
    IT Manager at a security firm with 201-500 employees
    Threat protection that is priced well

• "What I like the most is the customer pricing because it's a great value."
    • "In the next release, I would like to see a combination of the different features from Apex One and OfficeScan in Trend Micro Smart, rather than as upgraded features."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for antivirus protection, ransomware, and trojan horse protection.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most is the customer pricing because it's a great value.

What needs improvement?

We are currently using Trend Micro for protection, but they have another product called Apex One that we would like to use instead.

Apex One includes artificial intelligence and is offered as an upgrade.

Trend Micro is signature-based, and with Apex One, because of the Artificial Intelligence, you don't have to use the signature file.

I have been using this solution for three years.

We have a had a few glitches but every program experiences the same thing, so it was not a problem.

We have 300 users.

We have not contacted technical support, but we do have local support available.

Previously, we were using CrowdStrike and Carbon Black. In the last ten years, we have used three or four different brands and we feel that sometimes it is good to change.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Most were deployed automatically, but there were a few colleagues that were working on site offices in other cities which required it to be done manually.

This solution provides good value for the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

SK
    Leiter Network & Security at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    A security solution with a useful antivirus signature, but administration could be better

• "The antivirus signature is valuable."
    • "The administration could be better. They could decrease the administrative burden and enable easier management. There are many features, options, and settings which is quite challenging for some of our customers. The complexity of the interface is also an issue. From a software point of view, I would prefer to see actual signatures and actual protection patterns, rather than new features."

What is our primary use case?

We use Trend Micro Smart Protection mainly for Windows 10 end points on clients' computers.

What is most valuable?

The antivirus signature is valuable.

What needs improvement?

The administration could be better. They could decrease the administrative burden and enable easier management. There are many features, options, and settings which is quite challenging for some of our customers. The complexity of the interface is also an issue. From a software point of view, I would prefer to see actual signatures and actual protection patterns, rather than new features.

The variety of products Trend Micro offers is huge, and their names have changed every two years. It's quite difficult to explain to customers the benefits, the complexity of the lineup, and the appropriate products for them.

I have been using Trend Micro Smart Protection for many years.

Technical support is okay, not excellent.

We use almost the whole lineup of products from Trend Micro. For example, we use their new solution with artificial intelligence. The use case for the Smart Protection solution is fair and appropriate for extended use.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The cost seems competitive.

What other advice do I have?

As a reseller, I would advise new users not to get the license directly. It's better to get it through value-added resellers who have some information, recommendations, and the appropriate settings that best suit the application.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Trend Micro Smart Protection a six.

KA
    Admin IT infrastructure at Ajanta Pharma Ltd
    Well-priced with good anti-virus capabilities, but database encryption is missing

• "The most valuable features are the DLP and anti-virus functionality."
    • "This product would be improved if it had more monitoring capabilities so that it could stop threats before they break into the network and damage it."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for anti-virus and managing protection for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the DLP and anti-virus functionality. The anti-virus is good.

What needs improvement?

Nowadays, it is not possible to rely only on an anti-virus solution. This product would be improved if it had more monitoring capabilities so that it could stop threats before they break into the network and damage it.

Database encryption is missing and should be added.

We have been using Trend Micro Smart Protection for one year.

This is a stable solution.

We have not tried to scale it.

During my tenure, I have never required technical support.

The deployment is easy and quick. You just download the client, install it, and configure it.

The pricing is good compared to Symantec and McAfee. However, the features are not in a bundled form but rather, they are in a separate, segregated format. If I want to use other features apart from DLP, I have to purchase extra licenses.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this product depends on the scenario. There are many similar products on the market right now, and everybody is evaluating them based on their own needs. That said, this is a good product and it is worth having a look at.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Download our free Trend Micro Smart Protection Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.