Trend Micro Smart Protection Overview

Trend Micro Smart Protection is the #17 ranked solution in our list of endpoint security software. It is most often compared to Microsoft Defender Antivirus: Trend Micro Smart Protection vs Microsoft Defender Antivirus

What is Trend Micro Smart Protection?

Traditional security solutions can’t keep up with your users. Turning to multiple point products to address the myriad of challenges only increases complexity and may leave gaps in your security. Plus, you need a flexible solution that can grow and change with you as you migrate from on-premises to the cloud. To effectively counter today’s evolving threat landscape, you need integrated security that consolidates your view across all layers of protection and all deployment models.
Trend Micro™ Smart Protection Complete is a connected suite of security capabilities that protects
your users no matter where they go or what they do. This modern security delivers the best protection at multiple layers: endpoint, application, and network, using the broadest range of threat protection techniques available. Plus, you can evolve your protection along with your business using flexible on-premises, cloud, and hybrid deployment models that fit your IT environment today and tomorrow. In addition, you can manage users across multiple threat vectors from a single “pane of glass,” giving you complete visibility of the security of your environment.

Trend Micro Smart Protection is also known as Trend Micro Smart Protection Complete.

Trend Micro Smart Protection Buyer's Guide

Download the Trend Micro Smart Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Trend Micro Smart Protection Customers

Atma Jaya Catholic University of Indonesia, Blekinge County Council, Bulgarian American Credit Bank, Cancer Research UK, Delacour, Evalueserve, Gulftainer, Hiroshima Red Cross Hospital & Atomic-bomb Survivors Hospital, Mazda Motor Logistics Europe, MEDHOST, Nikigolf, Ochsner Health System, SIAX Computing Solutions, Tegen

Trend Micro Smart Protection Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Trend Micro Smart Protection pricing:
  • "If I'm not mistaken, for three years, for 400 licenses, we paid nearly 15,000 euros. We don't have any additional costs that we have to pay on top of that."
  • "The licensing is on a yearly basis and I believe our organization paid about $2,000/year. However, it's been a while since I looked at the pricing and we no longer use the solution."
  • "Our organization has paid licensing for three years, which averaged about $4.00 USD per user. We've been satisfied with the licensing. It's quite reasonable."
  • "Its price is fine. Price-wise, it is competitive with any other vendor."
  • "We pay for the solution on a yearly basis. We pay approximately 100 Euros a year per user. There are no additional fees above this."

Country IT Logistics & Facilities Manager at DHL
Straightforward to use with good licensing options and doesn't consume too many resources

• "As a Japanese company, it doesn't have any restrictions on usage in our country."
  • "We found an issue on the server-side. Sometimes, it slows down the servers if you install it on the SQL."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Trend Micro. Trend Micro may be planning to launch a new product called Apex or Alex in January. However, right now, we are using the most current version of the solution which was launched in July. This version is compatible with Windows 10. We actually waited for this release to happen due to the fact that the previous versions of Trend Micro were not compatible with the latest Windows so we couldn't upgrade our Windows clients. We waited nearly three months, or maybe two months, so we would be able to upgrade our clients'…
CEO at Haniya Technologies
Easy to deploy with proactive sandboxing and built-in DLP capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we are pitching this product to our enterprise clients. These include organizations in the financial and banking sector, as well as other industries. We are focusing on endpoint protection.

• "The sandboxing is more proactive and more reliable than any of the other endpoint protection solutions."
  • "This product is not very simple and in fact, kind of hard for some people to understand."

What other advice do I have?

There was a big gap in the availability of this product in Pakistan from 2009 to 2017. There was simply no presence of Trend Micro. In 2017, they hired people and they started a local distributor that included a technical team. With the backend support here, it has strengthened the market. When we demonstrate this solution to potential clients, we conduct the demo on the cloud. However, we leave the option to them whether they want an on-premises or cloud-based deployment. Organizations and banks in the financial sector in Pakistan generally do not use cloud-based solutions at this time. That…
Learn what your peers think about Trend Micro Smart Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
479,323 professionals have used our research since 2012.
XH
Cyber Security Manager at a consultancy with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good documentation and excellent technical support but needs to have an easier deployment

What is our primary use case?

There were a couple of primary use cases for us. One of the most frequent was to deploy an agent onto user devices, including laptops and workstations. We were also to employ agents on mobile. It was used to detect viruses on everything from computers to USBs in our organization.

• "The solution gives users peace of mind that, form an endpoint perspective, they are protected once it is installed."
  • "The solution needs to improve the deployment so it aligns with the latest Microsoft patches and upgrades. It makes the deployment process lengthy and painful."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice to other users, because there are so many products out there, I would caution anyone to do a thorough POC. It would be helpful. Once a company is hands-on with it, they will begin to understand a lot about the product. Demos are very limiting. Currently, I'm looking at and trying out other solutions as we've moved away from this one. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
?G
Head of IT at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Offers a lot of plugins and good compatibility with excellent scanning

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint protection including antivirus and malware protection. We also use it for mail scanning and as a proxy for web protection. The most important cases are those, but we also use it for mobile device management, etc.

• "We haven't had any compatibility issues. It's quite stable and it's a good tool in preventing actual viruses or malware."
  • "The solution should improve its mobile management solution."

What other advice do I have?

We've been using the solution for about ten years, although it was under a different name originally. We mostly use the on-premises deployment model but do have a few cloud deployments as well. I'd advise others to try it. There are trial versions you can try if you are curious. We tested it and we were able to check for ourselves if it suited our needs. There are a lot of solutions, and quite a lot of options and for us, but this one is the perfect one for us. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
MM
Senior Information Security Consultant at Alkhorayef
Offers behavior monitoring, machine learning with excellent web reputation service

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using this solution for protecting endpoints and servers, which includes schedule scanning on weekly basis. Also using web reputation services for actively blocking any malicious website at user end.

• "The most valuable features are the behavior monitoring, behavior analysis, and web reputation service."
  • "The only drawback to this solution is that it needs different products for different types of clients, and it would be better to have a single agent for all of the products."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this product as it can be first line of defense for any organization with excellent features, like behavior monitoring, machine learning, and others... Overall, this product is very good, although there is still room for improvement. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
DS
IT and Digital Officer with 51-200 employees
Affordable licensing, good reporting, and excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

Our organization primarily uses the solution for formalities and as a brand protection antivirus. We plan to start to use it as end-point encryption and USB encryption, as well as to protect our emails.

• "Your workstation doesn't slow down, unlike when you use Symantec, for example."
  • "I've not explored all of the features up to now. I still need to see all of the features implemented first to be able to see if anything is missing. However, as of right now, it's working very well for us."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution. I'd rate it nine out of ten. I've not explored all of the features up to now. I still need to see all of the features implemented first to be able to see if anything is missing. However, as of right now, it's working very well for us.
AH
Senior Account Solutions Architect-II at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Amazing product with DLP, vulnerability management, and application whitelisting features

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator, and we sell Trend Micro solutions. We are also using Trend Micro solutions for our internal IT. We use this solution for endpoint protection (EPP). We also use it for server protection.

• "Product-wise, it is amazing. It includes DLP, vulnerability management, and application whitelisting features. These features are very good and add value in selling this solution to our customers. These features make the key selling point. I recently did a comparison with the FireEye firewall for a customer. They were basically going to replace Trend Micro with their EDR. Because of these features, I could convince the customer that Trend Micro is better than FireEye."
  • "Documentation-wise, they are a disaster. If you want to know something about Trend Micro, you will not find anything useful from Trend Micro themselves. You have to basically dig some blog, or you need to seek some expert to help you understand what they are offering. I have never seen such a good product with such disastrous documentation. Feature-wise, almost all vendors are providing the same features, but it is all about the integration. For example, Trend Micro is promoting their endpoint protection suite, but they never mention about the integration that they are offering with their EDR solution. They are treating each product as a separate island, and you don't know much about their integration. It would be good if they can focus on integration."

What other advice do I have?

In Saudi Arabia, we are only selling on-premises models. The customers mostly request for the on-premises model, not the cloud model, due to the regulation issues. As per government regulations, we cannot send our data to anything outside Saudi Arabia. That's why the possibility is only to use on-premises products. Trend Micro Smart Protection is basically the number one endpoint protection platform that I propose to my customers. As a solution architect, I would recommend Trend Micro Smart Protection. I would rate Trend Micro Smart Protection a nine out of ten. It just needs more integration…
MD
Purchase Manager at LET nv
Great for smartphone protection, with good stability and a straightforward setup

• "The most valuable aspect of the solution is that it also protects our smartphones. It's one of the reasons we use Trend Micro specifically."
  • "We were considering switching to SentinalOne because it has pre-detection, and Trend Micro does not offer this; it's something the solution should add."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are currently using (I believe it was the last one), but when we sign on for the next year, we were going over to the Apex version. We use the on-premises deployment model. We're happy with the solution and can advise others to use it, but there are other good solutions out there as well. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
See 5 more Trend Micro Smart Protection Reviews
Download our free Trend Micro Smart Protection Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.