Tricentis Tosca Overview

Tricentis Tosca is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Functional Testing Tools. It is most often compared to Micro Focus UFT One: Tricentis Tosca vs Micro Focus UFT One

What is Tricentis Tosca?

Tricentis Tosca specializes in enabling large enterprises to improve the quality of their applications by equipping them to optimize, manage, and automate their software testing.

Tosca's model-based approach to software test automation enables enterprises to achieve high automation rates while maximizing business risk coverage.

Tricentis Tosca also provides market-leading test case design and planning capabilities, test data provisioning, service virtualization, mobile testing, and more.

Tosca is fully compatible with other testing solutions and Application Lifecycle Management products. Tricentis also offers uniquely designed testing solutions for SAP, ServiceNow, Trax, Avaloq, and Oracle.

Tricentis Tosca Buyer's Guide

Download the Tricentis Tosca Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Tricentis Tosca Customers

HBO, AMEX, BMW Group, ING, Bosch, Austrian Airlines, Deutsche Bank, Henkel, Allianz, Bank of America, UBS, Orange, Siemens, Swiss Re, Vodafone

Tricentis Tosca Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

DK
Consultant im Testingbereich at qcentris
Handy way to automate on a surface but modules should be made more dynamic

What is our primary use case?

Primarily test automation for webshops based on PHP code. It was satisfying as long as the GUI did not change permanently.

How has it helped my organization?

It did not improve because the GUI was not static, so it was not possible to write tests for a GUI that was in progress.

What is most valuable?

The XScan was great because it was a handy way to automate on a surface which made it very easy and simple.

What needs improvement?

It should be more flexible when using the modules; it is kind of frozen there. They should be made more dynamic.

RF
Project Manager at a logistics company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It makes test cases which can be used by technical and business people

What is our primary use case?

For our applications, it makes the test cases. So far, we have been quite happy with it. So, we don't have any complaints.

• "Compared to other tools we have been looking at, you don't have to be a programmer to operate it, though it helps. It also a product that can be used by business people."
  • "We are satisfied with the support of Tricentis."
  • "Setup wasn't that straightforward; it was more complex. It all depends on the environment, because there were a lot of errors on our applications. Therefore, it wasn't an easy setup for us."
  • "It needs better integration with JIRA."
  • "I would like a better user interface."

What other advice do I have?

Figure out your requirements and environment. We had the impression Tosca would be the perfect fit for us. We did a proof of concept test with all our applications, Tosca was able to work with them and drive the proof of concept goal. Finally, we made a decision a year ago to work with Tricentis Tosca. We are quite happy with the product.
Learn what your peers think about Tricentis Tosca. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user871533
Practice head for Automation at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Supports parallel execution, has mobile automation, but needs to be more stable

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for end-to-end automation. The performance is good. It's just that it doesn't support applications on the Mac. But overall it is good.

How has it helped my organization?

Helps decrease execution time.

What is most valuable?

We have multiple applications, and it supports parallel execution. It has mobile automation.

What needs improvement?

Making it more stable would be good because we get around 90% stability. It would be great if it were more stable.

It is scalable.

We do use it but it was better a year ago. Now, the turnaround time takes a little more time.

The upgrade I was involved in was…
it_user742722
Test Analyst at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Clear advantages in scope of applications it can automate, intuitive GUI, and generation of test data

• "Multiple scanning engines to automate many different applications."
  • "The reporting function was lacking in usability and detail."

What other advice do I have?

Give it a go. Having since used Selenium to build an automation suite in another organisation, I feel Tosca has clear advantages in both the scope of applications that it can automate (web, mobile, windows, and more) as well as the intuitive GUI and powerful generation of test data combinations. Having not come from an IT background, I was able to get up and running with Tosca far quicker than with Selenium.
it_user739683
Salesforce Admin/Tester/TOSCA Automation Tester at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
The product is scriptless, hence anyone can learn it easily

• "Object Identification Wizard."
  • "Security, UI, and basic performance improvements could be done to the product to enhance its use."

What other advice do I have?

I will recommend using TOSCA to all users who want to automate their applications or who want to work daily without any hassle.
MarkusBonner
Release Test Manager at a tech company with 201-500 employees
Enables automation of regressive test cases, reducing the manual work involved

What other advice do I have?

Start with a pilot project, have Tricentis or a partner support the setup, pilots and extensions. Tricentis is very good in communicating and sharing test best practices and often ahead in offering new trends in development and testing.
it_user704700
Test Manager with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Have more time to increase the regression portfolio, decrease long delays with documentation

• "Image recognition: It has allowed us to automate a GUI section of our product which involves drawing different topologies."
  • "Running the regression – if multiple lists are executed at once or if a list contains 200+ tests, it’s a pain to stop the execution."

What other advice do I have?

It is a good tool, but could be better in some aspects. It’s relatively easy to set it up and intuitive to create test cases for non-developers. If you come from the development side you will feel some limitations, but I was always able to find a workaround.
gagneet
Continuous Delivery Lead at SAI Global
I would recommend it to a team which does not have much reliance on technical testers but more with business testers
a) It is a good tool for use by Business b) It requires an initial framework / artifacts to be built by a person who is technical and can understand testing an application in-depth. i) He has to be a person who can create the modules and also do some technical coding using VB and/or Java & C# ii) He has to have a background of working with Excel and Math functions, so that he can create the relevant queries and use the in-built TQL language to create the required reports and search + merge duplicates. c) Good use in Agile workshops, where the person needs to conceptualize the tests before the developer provides the complete application interface. i) Has an integrated Requirements module, which integrates and creates a good report tool for senior management to use and get the…
Quality Manager at a tech consulting company
It can be handled without any knowledge in parameterisation, especially the TestCaseDesign functionality.

• "The tool can be handled without any knowledge in parameterisation, especially the TestCaseDesign which makes the tool mighty and stable."
  • "The Test Management options are still weak - improvement is outlined, but not yet visible. I"

What other advice do I have?

It is a mighty and stable tool, but it needs qualified and motivated staff to work with and manage it.
it_user712053
QA Test Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Some of the valuable features are test case design and web services automation

What other advice do I have?

Go for the product if you are looking for faster automation.
it_user711897
Test Lead at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
The scanner helps us to define many tests with one scan.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product, with online tutorials, knowledge base, etc.
it_user458070
Quality Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Generates data including ECP, BVC, and risk-based opportunities

What other advice do I have?

I prefer TDD with SpecFlow and Cucumber using a coded UI. These tools need to be integrated with Tosca to drive the TDD approach in automation.
it_user653235
QA Automation Lead with 51-200 employees
I liked the "no required​ scripting" part. They need to have better documentation, forums, and support.
Test Automation Engineer at Infosys
The model-based scriptless automation needs less maintenance as compared to the script-based automation

• "The model-based scriptless automation is the most valuable feature because it needs less maintenance as compared to script-based automation."
  • "Parallel execution is not yet implemented for Tosca. This means you can't execute the same test case on multiple machines remotely."

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for automation of the packaged application and less maintenance, then go for Tosca.
DS
IT Consultant with 10,001+ employees
Test automation solution of our enterprise legacy system.

What other advice do I have?

If you are up to end-to-end test automation, then please give Tosca a try.
it_user694683
Senior Automation Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reporting is well managed and there is no requirement to build a framework around it.

• "This tool has test data management capability along with test management."
  • "ScratchBook execution needs to be improved as Tosca crashes multiple times."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this tool. It is user friendly, once you get used to it, and it is easy to implement. You might have to struggle initially to understand Tosca and its approach.
it_user694677
DevOps Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
The UI-based interface is used for building modules and turning modules into test cases.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure you are ready to support it earnestly with training and focus. If you do that, then it is worthwhile.
it_user694698
Application Portfolio Management, Project Portfolio Management and Governance at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
​Scriptless SW QA automation. Provides a very quick on ramp to test automation with little maintenance.​

What other advice do I have?

Do extensive research and experiment a lot. Solutions work differently in different environments, make sure you pick the best for your specific needs.
it_user693246
Senior at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Using exploratory testing, we can send an email to record manual test cases to the business analysts.

• "With one click, it will scan all the elements on the screen, so that the user can select the required elements for automation tests."
  • "They need to improve on the reports after the execution of automation tests, since all the current organizations are looking for detailed graphical reports."

What other advice do I have?

For a manual tester who wants to become an automation specialist with no programming skills, this is the right tool for the future.
it_user693258
Head of QA at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
​It was the only way to organize and support automation testing process for our re-insurance tool for underwriters​.
QA Test Lead at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
It makes testing easy. Especially when we need to test lengthy Oracle R12 End to End flows.

What is most valuable?

User friendly, Model Based Test Automation.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes testing easy. Specially when we need to test lengthy Oracle R12 End to End flows. Tosca is really helpful. Easy to maintain test cases and Execution as well.

What needs improvement?

Dashboard for results still need to be improve in Tosca Test Suite

1 year

Sometime compatibility issues with Oracle forms.

98% Stability is fine with Version 9.3

Customer Service: 4.5/5 Technical Support: 5/5

Which

I.T Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
You can convert manual test cases into automated ones. It supports both GUI as well as non-UI testing.

What other advice do I have?

The vendors' videos and webinars are of great help, so I would like them to keep coming up with more.
Manish Kum@r
Senior Technical Automation Specialist at Sixsentix
Tosca CI: allows us to test when the code is deployed into the lower environment.
Manish Kum@r
Senior Technical Automation Specialist at Sixsentix
The recent version offers web analytics, along with recording for manual and automated test cases.
Software Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It analyzes the functional aspects of both standalone and browser applications.
Associate Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It uses model-based automation and does not require scripting knowledge.
Software Engineer Associate at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
A model based automation tool and doesn't require an explicit framework.

What other advice do I have?

TOSCA Testsuite is a very good automation tool. It supports a wide variety of application automation. This tool provides a very efficient way of automation and also it is compatible with many other tools involved in the testing process like Quality Center, etc.
gagneet
Continuous Delivery Lead at SAI Global
A very different experience
Overall, it is quite a different experience in using it. It does not contain any code, and builds from the requirements as a model of what the actual application will contain. The catch being that initially you do not need to define your test cases from the application end and things might not even be in sequence of what the actual final application would look like. I have an analogy for this – a human body is composed of head, body, hands and legs. Each one has its own “attributes”, which in turn have “instances”. This is what is called the ‘Model-based approach’. Each hand will have attributes such as fingers, nails, elbow, fore-hand, wrist, etc. Then, all these attributes will have instances – long fingers, short fingers, thick fingers, etc. Now to build a body, you need to join all…
SAP TAX COE at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
The Risk Management feature is one we are seeing as very valuable in our environment.

What other advice do I have?

The tool is very different than other testing tools and it is important to explain some of these different to all the stakeholders to ensure they really understand the benefits at their level. By that I mean that a tester might see benefit in the ease of automation but a business user will see benefit in the risk coverage visualization, for example.
Ashwin Mor
Senior Software Engineer at Tech Mahindra
It's scriptless, so I don't need to know a lot of coding to test software, helping my company complete tasks other tools couldn't.

What other advice do I have?

With it being a scriptless tool, it helps people without coding knowledge to work with ease. The amazing features provided by Tricentis takes automation to a different world and it's fun working with it.
QA Automation Lead at a tech services company
The ability to scan the application and for it to have all of the attributes you need and put them into the test is the most valuable feature for us.
it_user377766
QA Manager at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
The best feature is the speed in which we are able to get our automation up and running.

What other advice do I have?

I would say, take the training and go in to the product and use it the way they recommend to use it. They trained as and it works well. Some listen and kindly say we will use it the Tricentis way and don’t, they end up seeing problems. If I were to make a recommendation, Tricentis is as the top of the list.
Quality Assurance Manager at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
This solution allows you to create an automated framework where you can manage everything in one place.

What other advice do I have?

I think it’s important to get the training that is provided and really make sure you get hands-on time with the product. That’s our problem -- we haven’t been able to dedicate ourselves to it. If we had the time to stay with it and learn it then we could move forward.
Product Owner at Tricentis
It's an enterprise solution that approaches automated software testing from a business perspective, although it doesn't allow distribution of test cases to different machines for parallel execution.

What other advice do I have?

The tool is a desktop application and comes with all advantages and disadvantages of a desktop application in terms of deployment and scalability. There is a cloud version (TaaS), but this version is only suitable for manual tests and web tests. Web applications need to be publicly accessible within the cloud environment (so it is not suitable for internal testing environments). It would be a nice feature if the cloud version of Tricentis Tosca Testsuite is able to drive your locally installed application. Do not buy this tool if you simply need a driver for your automation, as open source…
IT Business Consultant at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's nice that it uses a risk-based approached via a weighted requirement set, although the context menu in the newer versions is not ideal.

What is most valuable?

The features we've found most valuable are-- It’s a modular structure, so changes in a module are automatically updated in all relevant test cases. It uses a risk-based approached via a weighted requirement set.

What needs improvement?

Not all functions are logical without certain know-how. Context menu in the newer versions is not ideal.

I've used it for about one year.

During an upgrade there were issues, but this was due to certain security settings on our end, and the Tosca support team was very useful in helping us with those setting and resolving the issues.

We're discussing internally with…
it_user346803
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It helps us to create very accurate test cases, those that cover the most critical parts of our applications. However, it must recognize more controls than it does currently with only C# and Java.

What other advice do I have?

You should be very careful if you have to customize Tosca because it could be very expensive, so take your time to evaluate it. Test it with many applications, many objects, and many controls.
Test Analyst at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Organized and easy to use testing tool, with options for fast automation and easy maintenance, also with tendency to improve greatly with every next release

What other advice do I have?

Great tool for testing, but only when used by an educated tester or by somebody who's gone through the whole course and had at least a little bit of practice. It's worth it.
it_user318909
Senior Consultant at a engineering company with 501-1,000 employees
Using the TCD, subject-matter experts are able to perform systematic reviews of Testcases and we can then run regression tests.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise that, if one needs to install Tosca for test automation, always go for the latest version, as Tricentis is implemeting all the user feedbacks genuinely in their tools and it is evolving and has a great potential.
Head of Test Automation at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It allows us to scale up test automation teams without the need for scripting/coding skills, though we'd recommend a POC to ensure the solution works for a particular system.

What other advice do I have?

We would always advise customers to have experts involved during a test automation implementation. Generally, we recommend conducting a POC to prove that the solution works technically for your systems, then we recommend a pilot project, to prove that the business benefits can be realized, and to provide experience about the product. Along with the POC and the pilot, a portfolio analysis should also be conducted to determine which test suites should be automated. Expert consultants, like our test automation specialists, should conduct the POC and be heavily involved in the pilot. With an…
it_user318897
Test Analyst at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Test case automation and maintenance has reduced the manpower and time needed for testing, although sometimes a scanning of the system under test lasts longer than it should.
it_user317874
Business Consultant at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
This automated testing solution reduced our manual efforts, increased test process replication, and facilitated bug analysis.

What other advice do I have?

Check the efforts of your manual testing per application every year, and then decide on what, and how, to automate. Usually there should be an ROI at the latest, after using Tosca Testsuite for two years.
it_user289665
Technical Tester at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Tbox automates complex test scenarios and it's helped us keep track of test execution and coverage.
it_user294936
Software Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's automated, allows us to design and integrate manual test cases, and we can see status and results in the requirements section.
it_user277017
Senior Test Manager, Head of Test Automation Process at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It accomplishes what a lot of different tools did before. We use it in our main, regressive, HTML, and web-case tests.

What is most valuable?

Business dynamic steering and table steering.

How has it helped my organization?

For example, you can make templates and share them with storage elements. We use it in our main, regressive, HTML, and web-case tests.

What needs improvement?

At the moment, none. In the latest version I don’t see much room for improvement.

I've used it for six years.

In the past there were.

The product is stable; no problems with stability features.

We had in the past, but those are gone in the latest versions. In the beginning there were problems with scaling…
Test Manager with 501-1,000 employees
We're able to create reusable data classes when using our test cases, and non-technical testers can automate tests with access to information.

What other advice do I have?

Be prepared to change how you approach test automation – definitely a mindset shift. It's highly configurable so you want to make good use of that. Don’t be afraid to ask for help from Tricentis, they will get back to you. Have a good bank balance because it’s not cheap.
Senior Manager of QA at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Very rich automation/test management framework but consider the coding needed to integrate with your application
Recently, I was asked a set of questions regarding my experience with TOSCA. Here are the questions and my answers: General info: Is there any need for coding or scripting? Based on my research, I expect that the module is created when scanning has been finished. But some users commented that coding or scripting is needed. - Depends on the application and technology you are trying to automate. TOSCA has a lot of engines (HTML, .NET, Java, Webservices, etc.) with control library's that can be used out of the box. For something that is not covered by these engines (like a custom java widget) you will need to code for steering. Are control statements like if/then/else and loops supported? - Loops are not directly supported. If/then/else are supported for templates (data…
QA Expert at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
I have used TOSCA for R&D only,. not any real client project. TOSCA is very good for Business requirement based test case not complex test scenarios Good Visual representation, easy to understand and comfortable to implement business ideas. Can cover only user validations. (you can not satisfy all possible complex scenarios and requirements) It is a good test case building tool for managers or business personnel not for a core QA person. So, if you are targeting for Technical QA career, it might not help that much. But, if you are on to business area, team lead who manage clients with requirements, it is very good tool for you. In market, it is not that much popular, so you may not get many jobs that need TOSCA
it_user72699
QA Expert at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Great tool but I think it will take a few more years to mature & grow
After working on TOSCA for 18 months this is what I think:- (Note: this is my personal opinion and not that of the company I work for) There is no such thing as "No Coding skills required". Even TOSCA has some custom vb script files that come with the installation that allow you to do certain automation tasks. Also you can create your own vb script files and associate them to modules within TOSCA for further customisation. My understanding of test automation is keeping your test scenarios in the centre and wrap your automation tool around it. TOSCA shakes this basic understanding of mine to the core. It's either the TOSCA way or the highway :) I do not consider myself an expert TOSCA userit makes it easy simply because I do not know how to create custom controls…
Download our free Tricentis Tosca Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.