Tricentis Tosca OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Tricentis Tosca is #1 ranked solution in top Functional Testing Tools, top Mobile App Testing Tools, top Regression Testing Tools, top API Testing Tools, and top Test Automation Tools. IT Central Station users give Tricentis Tosca an average rating of 8 out of 10. Tricentis Tosca is most commonly compared to Micro Focus UFT One: Tricentis Tosca vs Micro Focus UFT One.Tricentis Tosca is popular among Large Enterprise, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution is Computer Software Company, accounting for 34% of all views.
What is Tricentis Tosca?

Tricentis Tosca is a continuous testing platform that uses the industry’s most innovative functional testing technologies. Unlike traditional testing technologies, which are siloed and can allow for integration risks that are likely to derail end-to-end processes, Tricentis Tosca accelerates testing across the enterprise to keep pace with Agile and DevOps and helps enterprise teams to achieve 90%+ test automation rates, thereby enabling them to deliver fast and continuous feedback.

Tosca enables your large enterprise to improve the quality of its applications by equipping you for optimizing, managing, and automating your software testing.

This model-based approach to software test automation enables your organization to achieve high automation rates while at the same time maximizing business risk coverage. Tosca covers all digital initiatives, which includes moving to the cloud, modernizing core business apps, and delivering excellent customer experience.

Tosca also provides market-leading test data provisioning, test case planning and design capabilities, service virtualization, and mobile testing. The solution is fully compatible with other testing solutions and with Application Lifecycle Management products.

Benefits of Tricentis Tosca

Tricentis Tosca optimizes and accelerates the end-to-end testing of your entire digital landscape. Its AI-powered codeless approach accelerates innovation across your enterprise by removing the bottlenecks from testing and the risks from software releases.

Tosca’s functional testing tool covers every kind of testing, including API testing, exploratory testing, mobile testing, regression testing, and system integration testing. It also supports performance testing through integration with NeoLoad.

The key benefits of Tricentis Tosca include:

Acceleration of test automation with AI-powered technology that can track controls on any technology in real time.

The shifting left of testing by automating tests based on mockups and then using those same tests as the app is developed.

Smarter testing with Vision AI that keeps up with changes in your apps, regardless of the underlying platform.

Creation of resilient, stable automation for any technology

Vision AI’s integration with Tosca’s no-code platform makes test automation easy-to-use by business analyst and subject matter experts, regardless of skill level

Reviews from Real Users

IT Central Station users note that Tricentis Tosca is easy to learn, easy to maintain, and easy to automate. One user said that “It is a good tool that enables me to re-automate my scripts and update my scripts as quickly as possible." Another wrote that “The most valuable feature is the UI… The reporting is really nice.”

Tricentis Tosca Buyer's Guide

Download the Tricentis Tosca Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Tricentis Tosca Customers

HBO, AMEX, BMW Group, ING, Bosch, Austrian Airlines, Deutsche Bank, Henkel, Allianz, Bank of America, UBS, Orange, Siemens, Swiss Re, Vodafone

Tricentis Tosca Video

Archived Tricentis Tosca Reviews (more than two years old)

Senior Technical Automation Specialist at Sixsentix
Has enabled our teams to test more wisely in our diverse landscape

• "It has helped teams within our organization become more aware of the testing requirements in terms of risk and priority."
  • "Not being able to mask test data in relation to testing data management, in my opinion, is also a limitation."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for risk-based testing in conjunction with test optimization and test automation.

Our testing landscape ranges from web applications to mobile applications to mainframe to PDF. The tool takes care of most of the testing requirements with relatively minimal effort.

How has it helped my organization?

Tricentis Tosca has evolved from being a functional test automation tool to becoming a Continuous Testing platform. It has helped teams within our organization become more aware of the testing requirements in terms of risk and priority.

It has also enabled teams to optimize risk coverage and enabled them to test more wisely.

What is most valuable?

Risk-based testing, test optimization, and support for over one hundred technologies are some of the most important capabilities of the platform. Many may argue that the same can be achieved by other tools as well, but not all within the same platform. The ease of maintainability is also a differentiating factor.

What needs improvement?

Even though the platform has been continuously evolving, there is room for improvement. For example:

• Test reporting hasn't been as impressive as the other components of this platform.
  • Not being able to mask test data in relation to testing data management, in my opinion, is also a limitation.

Six and a half years.

This is a very stable solution.

This solution is easily scalable.

I would say that they have decent support. They can be contacted via live chat, email, and online incident forms.

I was using Selenium WebDriver a few years ago.

I switched to Tricentis Tosca because of its methodology and support for more than one hundred technologies.

The initial setup is straightforward, provided that the consultants from the company are involved.

We used a mix of both in-house staff and consultants for our implementation.

Tricentis Tosca may be relatively on the higher side in terms of pricing, but their sales rep can give pretty decent deals when asked.

I evaluated other solutions including both Selenium and QTP.

What other advice do I have?

For organizations who want to aim for a unified continuous testing platform, and are willing to pay for it, Tricentis Tosca can be a decent investment.

DK
Consultant im Testingbereich at qcentris
Handy way to automate on a surface but modules should be made more dynamic

What is our primary use case?

Primarily test automation for webshops based on PHP code. It was satisfying as long as the GUI did not change permanently.

How has it helped my organization?

It did not improve because the GUI was not static, so it was not possible to write tests for a GUI that was in progress.

What is most valuable?

The XScan was great because it was a handy way to automate on a surface which made it very easy and simple.

What needs improvement?

It should be more flexible when using the modules; it is kind of frozen there. They should be made more dynamic.

What needs improvement?

Learn what your peers think about Tricentis Tosca. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RF
Project Manager at a logistics company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It makes test cases which can be used by technical and business people

• "Compared to other tools we have been looking at, you don't have to be a programmer to operate it, though it helps. It also a product that can be used by business people."
  • "We are satisfied with the support of Tricentis."
  • "Setup wasn't that straightforward; it was more complex. It all depends on the environment, because there were a lot of errors on our applications. Therefore, it wasn't an easy setup for us."
  • "It needs better integration with JIRA."
  • "I would like a better user interface."

What is our primary use case?

For our applications, it makes the test cases. So far, we have been quite happy with it. So, we don't have any complaints.

How has it helped my organization?

We build the test cases, then we just need run it by one person to get feedback right away. Otherwise, it would require planning with certain testers.

What is most valuable?

Compared to other tools we have been looking at, you don't have to be a programmer to operate it, though it helps. It also a product that can be used by business people.

What needs improvement?

• It needs better integration with JIRA.
  • I would like a better user interface.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

We are satisfied with the support of Tricentis so far.

It took time to begin setting up for the first time because it's not a regular setup. It took us a week to set up.

We hired a consultant to figure out all the tools in our company and how they fit in our company before we purchased the solution.

We also evaluated HPE, IBM Rational Functional Tester, and Ranorex. However, for us, Tosca was the perfect choice.

What other advice do I have?

Figure out your requirements and environment.

We had the impression Tosca would be the perfect fit for us. We did a proof of concept test with all our applications, Tosca was able to work with them and drive the proof of concept goal. Finally, we made a decision a year ago to work with Tricentis Tosca. We are quite happy with the product.

it_user871533
Practice head for Automation at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Supports parallel execution, has mobile automation, but needs to be more stable

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for end-to-end automation. The performance is good. It's just that it doesn't support applications on the Mac. But overall it is good.

How has it helped my organization?

Helps decrease execution time.

What is most valuable?

We have multiple applications, and it supports parallel execution. It has mobile automation.

What needs improvement?

Making it more stable would be good because we get around 90% stability. It would be great if it were more stable.

It is scalable.

We do use it but it was better a year ago. Now, the turnaround time takes a little more time.

The upgrade I was involved in was…

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

Helps decrease execution time.

It is scalable.

The upgrade I was involved in was complex. We had some issues with it.

What other advice do I have?

My most important criteria when selecting a vendor are its technology and is it stable enough.

it_user742722
Test Analyst at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Clear advantages in scope of applications it can automate, intuitive GUI, and generation of test data

• "Multiple scanning engines to automate many different applications."
  • "The reporting function was lacking in usability and detail."

What is most valuable?

• Multiple scanning engines to automate many different applications.
  • Powerful ability to generate different test data combinations from test instances.
  • Logical workflow (from requirements through to execution and reporting).
  • GUI is easy to learn.

How has it helped my organization?

In my case I was able to rapidly construct several automation suites for a government organisation, that greatly enhanced their ability to cover all key areas of functionality in an efficient manner. The main implementation of Tosca was used for regression testing a major upgrade to an insurance claims processing application. It worked very well for this purpose.

What needs improvement?

At the time I was using the product, the reporting function was lacking in usability and detail. Detailed reporting was generally done outside of Tosca.

Seven months.

Not really, it's generally very stable. There were some occasions early on when the application crashed. However, this was more related to the network environment than the application itself.

No. It is pretty easy to add other users, roles, and control access to different areas of the application. In my case we didn't upscale to a great degree but I know this is possible. Large organisations would take advantage of Tosca's utilisation of the common repository with robust check-in/check-out procedures to eliminate the risk of unintended changes.

Excellent. I was often able to access their chat support instantly and resolved the bulk of my inquiries very rapidly.

No, Tosca was my first automation experience.

It was very straightforward. I didn't do the initial setup. It was via a colleague. He had it up and running, along with a "happy path test" within a morning.

Not my area, but contact Tricentis for this.

No, I was not involved in the choosing of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a go. Having since used Selenium to build an automation suite in another organisation, I feel Tosca has clear advantages in both the scope of applications that it can automate (web, mobile, windows, and more) as well as the intuitive GUI and powerful generation of test data combinations. Having not come from an IT background, I was able to get up and running with Tosca far quicker than with Selenium.

it_user739683
Salesforce Admin/Tester/TOSCA Automation Tester at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
The product is scriptless, hence anyone can learn it easily

• "Object Identification Wizard."
  • "Security, UI, and basic performance improvements could be done to the product to enhance its use."

What is most valuable?

• Scriptless automation
  • Ease of using
  • Object Identification Wizard
  • Business parameters
  • Steering controls

How has it helped my organization?

• Our organization is completely based on automation of the activities.
  • All the projects based on different technologies, such as SAP and Salesforce, are automated using Tosca.
  • SMEs just need to run the scripts developed by automation testers to validate the intended behavior.
  • We also use batches to schedule automation activities, which does not need any user attention.
  • Hence, automation testers can run the scripts as well as work on the new work at the same time, resulting into increased productivity.

Six months.

Good.

Selenium WebDriver requires good skillset of coding. However, TOSCA is scriptless, hence anyone can learn it easily.

The online training material offered by Tricentis is very straightforward to get started with it.

The pricing is high, but altogether it offers you the ability to automate all sorts of applications: desktop, web, mobile, etc.

Yes. Selenium WebDriver and QTP.

What other advice do I have?

I will recommend using TOSCA to all users who want to automate their applications or who want to work daily without any hassle.

MarkusBonner
Release Test Manager at a tech company with 201-500 employees
Enables automation of regressive test cases, reducing the manual work involved

What is most valuable?

• Automation of regressive test cases
  • Entering process and risk structures as basis for test design
  • Entering logical test cases as basis for meaningful executable test cases
  • Using the same test tool now as well for manual business testing

How has it helped my organization?

Improves the software quality in production by finding more defects with automated test sets, before transporting developments to production.

Reduces the effort for acceptance testing by business colleagues by

1. Reducing the effort for manual regressive tests and by
  2. Providing better pre-tested software for business acceptance testing.

What needs improvement?

Reporting.

About 10 years.

Sometimes new features do not work as shown on slides, in the first release.

Not now. In previous versions yes, for more than 10,000 test cases.

Nine out of 10, and now further improving.

Eight out of 10. Sometimes too (ITIL) process focused and too little content focused.

We used, and still use, our test tools depending on the test focus. But we switch to Tosca whenever respective functionalities are stable, usable in our tests.

Recent upgrade went smoothly. Upgrades have gotten better over time.

Upgrades are done in-house, new features are done with vendor.

We have used Tosca for a long time now. Recent new projects on Tosca have a ROI between one and two years. The cost driver is less the tool than the project effort.

Start with a test version.

What other advice do I have?

Start with a pilot project, have Tricentis or a partner support the setup, pilots and extensions.

Tricentis is very good in communicating and sharing test best practices and often ahead in offering new trends in development and testing.

it_user704700
Test Manager with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Have more time to increase the regression portfolio, decrease long delays with documentation

• "Image recognition: It has allowed us to automate a GUI section of our product which involves drawing different topologies."
  • "Running the regression – if multiple lists are executed at once or if a list contains 200+ tests, it’s a pain to stop the execution."

What is most valuable?

I’m aware that other tools have this feature, but the whole test suite, it makes it good enough for us not to look for something else.

How has it helped my organization?

No, not in global organization; we are the only ones who are using it in our location (Austria), but in our team, it changed the testing workflow:

Every second week we release a candidate, and from two weeks of hard manual testing, we are testing now only a few days (four to five), the new fixed tickets and running in parallel - the regression. We have more time to increase the regression portfolio and also decrease long delays with documentation.

What needs improvement?

I have been using it for almost four years.

A few times, it just crashed. I didn’t encounter this issue with Tosca 8 and Tosca 9, but the PC was running for days so I cannot blame only Tosca. I assume Windows played its role, too.

No, not so far. We have around 3500+ TCS.

Nice and friendly, however not always coming up with the solution we were expecting. For example, after changing from Tosca 9 to Tosca 10, we were not able to run some test cases for an older tool (it was developed with Java 1.5). The solution from their side was to request a change request even if it worked in the past. In the end, we just downgraded and we are running those test cases with Tosca 9.

Of the tool, yes. Managing to trigger our application was not so straightforward (because of our company access policy). We had to write some batch scripts for it, then it worked fine.

Expensive, but for long-term projects, it is paying back.

Yes, there was an analysis, but I was not part of the company at that time.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good tool, but could be better in some aspects.

It’s relatively easy to set it up and intuitive to create test cases for non-developers. If you come from the development side you will feel some limitations, but I was always able to find a workaround.

gagneet
Continuous Delivery Lead at SAI Global
a) It is a good tool for use by Business b) It requires an initial framework / artifacts to be built by a person who is technical and can understand testing an application in-depth. i) He has to be a person who can create the modules and also do some technical coding using VB and/or Java & C# ii) He has to have a background of working with Excel and Math functions, so that he can create the relevant queries and use the in-built TQL language to create the required reports and search + merge duplicates. c) Good use in Agile workshops, where the person needs to conceptualize the tests before the developer provides the complete application interface. i) Has an integrated Requirements module, which integrates and creates a good report tool for senior management to use and get the…

a) It is a good tool for use by Business

i) Has an integrated Requirements module, which integrates and creates a good report tool for senior management to use and get the progress and coverage of the work being implemented.

ii) Test Case Design is a unique concept to TOSCA, created through their Linear Q method and the Orthogonal method, to provide a self-sufficient way to reduce your tests and increase your coverage of testing.

d) It is as yet to become mature enough, and has a few quirks, but a very responsive and well trained (technically and customer oriented) Support Technical Team, that can cater for and provide you with updated information and solutions for the issues you encounter.

e) Might have a learning curve, as it does not follow the traditional Record-Play functionality, but tests have to be built from requirements or Agile story cards.

f) Current version also has graphs for the Test Case and Test Design workflow.

g) A plug-in has been developed, which allows for the tool to do Database Reconciliation for BI data migration tables. Also has a framework for recognizing and addressing the Cognos UI interface.

h) Updated with a Tableau plug-in also, which allows the users to check data in Database and the Tableau UI.

i) Integration with JIRA and TeamCity is also available out of the box with the new v9.3 REST API and "TOSCA CI Professional" license. You can configure it to allow multiple machines to connect and run the same.

j) New v9.3 contains the Analytics Web interface, which allows the Management to have a look at the Execution Status and related tests in a Web Interface and graphical manner. Integrated with the product and minimal configuration on it.

k) Version 10.x added an Exploratory Testing Server also, which allows the Business Users to add Workflow Scenarios while they are using the actual application, and this is recorded as Test Steps in a central repository to be later converted into Tests.

l) From version 10.2, a new licensing model has been added, where the user has to login and create an account for managing licenses online on the Support.Tricentis portal and/or the Cloud portal licenses.

Overall I would recommend it to a team which does not have much reliance on technical testers but more with business testers who can create the tests on the fly, as they know what to expect out of the application. That said, it does require a good technical background also to initially set it up and provide a base from where the business test team can take it up and easily maintain it.

Quality Manager at a tech consulting company
It can be handled without any knowledge in parameterisation, especially the TestCaseDesign functionality.

• "The tool can be handled without any knowledge in parameterisation, especially the TestCaseDesign which makes the tool mighty and stable."
  • "The Test Management options are still weak - improvement is outlined, but not yet visible. I"

What is most valuable?

The tool can be handled without any knowledge in parameterisation, especially the TestCaseDesign which makes the tool mighty and stable - even when releases in the tested software are subjected to deep code changes. The maintenance of the test tool is manageble.

How has it helped my organization?

I managed a test set over all areas for a retail bank alone for about three years with almost 1,000 test cases. I automated the starts overnight, and paralleled them on virtual clients. Then, I needed 24 hours for generating synthetic test data, regression test runs, and analyses. The runs were stable, and I could report many defects before the start of the manual tests.

What needs improvement?

The Testmanagement option are still weak - improvement is outlined, but not yet visible. I expect first impressions of this solution at accelerate in Vienna, october 2017.

Actually I upgrade the testsuite as often as possible - in my function as consultant I want to feel and test the improvements as soon as they are released. 10.3 was not stable enough for my expectations.

Not yet.

With testuite 10.3 - so I derelease back to 10.2.

Not yet - as the environments were always well set up.

This is a point were Tricentis has to improve - customer support seems to be overflood in the last few months.

Basically it's very high, the support is fast, friendly and qualified - if reachable. Which was not always the case in the last three months.

The initial setup should be done highly structured, and by qualified specialists. This is the only efficient way of a stable test set.

I would definitely recommend a vendor team for the implementation!

We felt the benefits within the first year. I would recommend in-house management.

There was no need for us to do so.

What other advice do I have?

It is a mighty and stable tool, but it needs qualified and motivated staff to work with and manage it.

it_user712053
QA Test Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Some of the valuable features are test case design and web services automation

What is most valuable?

• Test case design: Integrated test data management in the tool itself
  • Web services automation: Easier API testing
  • DevOps: Testing starts as soon as development gets completed
  • Service Virtualization: Early automation

How has it helped my organization?

It is quick and easy to maintain automation with Agile implementation.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see defect raising and tracking.

I've used it for almost a year.

There were sometimes issues with stability.

There were sometimes issues with scalability.

Technical support is very good.

We switched as there is no scripting required. The framework is inbuilt, hence maintenance is easier.

The setup was straightforward.

Licenses are expensive, but they are worth using.

What other advice do I have?

Go for the product if you are looking for faster automation.

it_user711897
Test Lead at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
The scanner helps us to define many tests with one scan.

What is most valuable?

The scanner helps us to define many tests with one scan.

How has it helped my organization?

Tests written once can be reused across different projects

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the availability of more libraries

We have you used this solution for two years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would rate the level of technical support as average.

We used Soap UI and Selenium (Open source tools). We switched to Tosca because the organization decided to make the switch.

I taught myself how to do the set up, so it was OK.

There are many products on the market. Providing more libraries for the price will be an option that could help.

We evaluated other options before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product, with online tutorials, knowledge base, etc.

it_user458070
Quality Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Generates data including ECP, BVC, and risk-based opportunities

What is most valuable?

Valuable features include generating data including ECP, BVC and risk-based opportunities:

• If the data is vast, we may miss a few scenarios. To avoid this, the Tosca tool provides an inbuilt feature.
  • Classifying tests into two types: Equivalence partitioning (+.-) and boundary value tests (inbuilt feature of Tosca).
  • Risk-based opportunities are identified based on customer weightage for the modules (inbuilt feature of Tosca).

How has it helped my organization?

It has decreased the time for generating test data and risk-based opportunities which has helped us to cover key areas.

What needs improvement?

The Support TDD and BDD could be improved.

We have been using the product for a year, but we have been using HPE products for seven years.

We encountered a stability issue with Tosca, but it was rectified.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would give technical support a rating of an eight out of 10.

We switched from Python for fast access of files.

The setup was straightforward.

The pricing of Tosca and HPE is high.

We evaluated SmartBear.

What other advice do I have?

I prefer TDD with SpecFlow and Cucumber using a coded UI. These tools need to be integrated with Tosca to drive the TDD approach in automation.

it_user653235
QA Automation Lead with 51-200 employees
I liked the "no required​ scripting" part. They need to have better documentation, forums, and support.

What is most valuable?

I liked the "no required scripting" part as most of the people in my team are not skilled QAs and half of the team reside offshore, thus it suited to most of our requirements.

How has it helped my organization?

We ended up going back to Selenium as this tool was very slow with the web applications. Also, for any new functionality, it requires customization that in turn required training with no guarantee that it may work with future releases.

What needs improvement?

They have to create some discussion forum, we cannot always rely on some expert to respond to the queries. Also, everything requires additional costs. They need to have better documentation, forums, and support.

I have used it in one of my smaller projects so as to evaluate if we can use it as an alternative to our Selenium Keyword Driven Framework. I have used it only for two weeks with the 14-day free trial.

The level of technical support is average. I reported that the web application response was very slow and I never really got a real solution. Instead, I sent out too many emails just to explain to them what the problem was.

We have used Selenium WebDriver and still are using the same solution.

Test Automation Engineer at Infosys
The model-based scriptless automation needs less maintenance as compared to the script-based automation

• "The model-based scriptless automation is the most valuable feature because it needs less maintenance as compared to script-based automation."
  • "Parallel execution is not yet implemented for Tosca. This means you can't execute the same test case on multiple machines remotely."

What is most valuable?

Tricentis Tosca supports 35 technologies, such as web, mobile, Salesforce, Java, SAP, ServiceMax, and Flash applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Tosca follows the shift-left approach. A new resource can start automation on the first day of its project.

What needs improvement?

Parallel execution is not yet implemented for Tosca. This means you can't execute the same test case on multiple machines remotely. For execution, test cases have to be present on that machine. Even while, a test case is executed you can't perform any other activity; you end up sitting idle during execution.

I have used this solution for 18 months.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

Technical support is fair.

Previously, we were using Selenium. We switched to Tosca due to the less maintenance aspect and the wide technology support which it provides.

Configuration is easy.

No idea about the licensing cost.

Whilst selecting a vendor, we look for factors such as technical support and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for automation of the packaged application and less maintenance, then go for Tosca.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are testing services partners with Tricentis Tosca.
DS
IT Consultant with 10,001+ employees
Test automation solution of our enterprise legacy system.

What is most valuable?

This is a complete Test Automation solution of our Enterprise Legacy system, which has many technical peripherals. It provides complete automation for apps/services of all domains and technology integration. Although not yet implemented on our site, features like Orchestrated Service Virtualization and Exploratory Testing excite me and have a huge potential for us.

How has it helped my organization?

• Helped us to lay a strong foundation for model based test automation
  • Increased throughput
  • Improved quality
  • Better cost optimization
  • Faster time to market

What needs improvement?

• Licensing/Pricing: Licensing needs to be packaged and not too granular at the component level.
  • Cloud or Service Offering: It's a licensed installation. I am not sure if it can be used in the mode of "product as a service" offering
  • Web Interface: To avoid client installations for certain features

I have been using this for more than 7-8 years of generic use. For the last few years, I have extended its use as a strategic tool for test modernization, automation, and transformation.

There have been no stability issues in particular.

There have been no scalability issues as of now.

Technical support is very good. We have been supported by a very professional technical team from the vendor.

We did use different solutions. We moved to Tosca because:

• It offers a complete automation solution for all of our applications streams.
  • Other technologies were unsupported and fell short on our requirements

We are also in process of moving to Tosca for other functions.

The initial setup was fairly straightforward.

I would like to see some competitive pricing and licensing models.

We evaluated HPE's QC and our existing tools.

What other advice do I have?

If you are up to end-to-end test automation, then please give Tosca a try.

it_user694683
Senior Automation Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reporting is well managed and there is no requirement to build a framework around it.

• "This tool has test data management capability along with test management."
  • "ScratchBook execution needs to be improved as Tosca crashes multiple times."

What is most valuable?

Tosca is a model based component tool and also quite flexible in terms of the customization required for most of the applications, if objects are not recognized. It allows manual testers to pick up automation, because it is a scriptless tool. Reporting is well managed within Tosca and there is no requirement to build a framework around it.

How has it helped my organization?

We are only using Tosca for our test automation. It helps the business testers to get involved and be a part of automation. It helps us define the right coverage by defining the scope in the test case design section. This tool has test data management capability along with test management.

What needs improvement?

• Objects re-scanning (recognizing the objects again)
  • Providing features to highlight the objects
  • The user guide/help document needs to be improved for better understanding of the tool and its features.
  • ScratchBook execution needs to be improved as Tosca crashes multiple times.

I have been using Tosca for the past two years.

If the Tosca repository becomes huge in size, then you might face performance issues. Tosca crashes many times and the best practice is to keep saving your work frequently to avoid re-work.

There were no scalability issues.

Technical support is available via chat or by raising an incident. They are often able to resolve minor issues. It takes really long to resolve major issues and we have to wait for them.

I have been working on different test automation tools and I was introduced to Tosca because of the technology that it supported for our applications. The current test automation tool was unable to provide a solution for our .NET Windows-based application, which Tosca provided out-of-the-box.

The initial setup was not very complex. The Tricentis team provided support in terms of setting up the project and assisting during the initial days to get us used to the tool.

It is an expensive tool compared to other test automation tools. It has a lot of advantages over other tools. They provide different types of licensing like cloud, Node locked, and floating licenses.

We did Proof of Concept with other automation tools, such as UFT and TestPartner, but we found Tosca to be a better tool.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this tool. It is user friendly, once you get used to it, and it is easy to implement. You might have to struggle initially to understand Tosca and its approach.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Yes, our company has a business relationship and is an Partner of Tosca wherein the employees of our company get different benefits like free certifications, free trial licenses for training purposes.
it_user694677
DevOps Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
The UI-based interface is used for building modules and turning modules into test cases.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the UI-based interface for building modules and turning modules into test cases.

How has it helped my organization?

It greatly accelerated regression testing cycle via automated regression.

What needs improvement?

Upgrading from one version to another requires maintenance and rework in existing scripts. This is too much for my taste.

We have been using this since 2013.

There were no issues with stability.

We had to do extensive customization on top of their CI/Distributed Execution engine in order to integrate this into our Continuous Delivery pipeline.

Technical support is excellent.

This was my first automated testing tool.

The initial setup can be quite complex and training is required.

It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

We evaluated several other options which included all the most popular automated testing tools.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure you are ready to support it earnestly with training and focus. If you do that, then it is worthwhile.

it_user694698
Application Portfolio Management, Project Portfolio Management and Governance at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
​Scriptless SW QA automation. Provides a very quick on ramp to test automation with little maintenance.​

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

A bit early to tell, we are still learning/deploying. What we have seen so far, is solid ability around identifying core application components and easily building and executing test cases. Even during experimentation we were able to identify some “bugs” before release to production.

What needs improvement?

Exploratory testing engine needs improved element recognition (at lease in JAVA Swing)

6 months

No issues.

Pretty good (8 out of 10). Capable, but sometimes slow.

Did not. I did however look at several competitors and found this to be the best overall.

Fairly straightforward. Good documentation and guidance.

Licensing is not too complex. If you are not sure what you need, start small with a price lock-in.

HP UFT (ALM), Qualify by Original Software, TestComplete by SmartBear

What other advice do I have?

Do extensive research and experiment a lot. Solutions work differently in different environments, make sure you pick the best for your specific needs.

it_user693246
Senior at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Using exploratory testing, we can send an email to record manual test cases to the business analysts.

• "With one click, it will scan all the elements on the screen, so that the user can select the required elements for automation tests."
  • "They need to improve on the reports after the execution of automation tests, since all the current organizations are looking for detailed graphical reports."

What is most valuable?

Below are the features that are the most valuable in regards to this product:

• With one click, it will scan all the elements on the screen, so that the user can select the required elements for automation tests.
  • Exploratory testing gives an option to record a video, has interactive steps to capture a manual test case flow, and it can be converted to a PDF document with links for the video.
  • Using exploratory testing, we can send an email to record manual test cases to the business analysts (BAs) who never need a product to be installed in their machine. The recorded files can be stored on a common server (that needs to be set up separately) or they can send those files to the intended automation team via emails.
  • Not much in the way of programming skills is required to use this product.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization is satisfied with this product on the technical side of it, but our organization was looking for the reporting part of this product since they undergo an auditing process for each year. The reports should be improved for the Tricentis Tosca product.

What needs improvement?

My previous company uses an application which will create a purchase order for their products, so my company wants to track all the purchase orders and the accounts that have been used for testing. We have set up data and automated tests in Tricentis Tosca. Using the Execution Folder (in Tosca) we are able to execute automated tests which gives detailed information for each run/execution. However, we were expecting a report for each execution like what scenario executed, what data was used (dummy customer accounts) and the resulting purchase order numbers.

Tricentis Tosca is able to export the execution results in Excel/PDF format but our company was expecting customized reports, so I mentioned this as room for improvement.

I have worked on this product for six months.

There are no issues with the stability part of the product.

There are no issues with the scalability of the product.

I would rate the technical support a 9/10, their turnover time is very good.

We have used HPE UFT (formerly known as QTP) and Selenium, but some of the critical applications that we needed required different automation tools so we switched to Tricentis Tosca.

The product's setup is pretty much straightforward, no issues in regards to that.

I am not much involved in the pricing and licensing.

We explored tools such as HPE QTP/UFT, Selenium, Ranorex and TestComplete but these tools require some specific programming skills to start. Tricentis Tosca doesn’t require any programming skills and it’s a codeless automation.

What other advice do I have?

For a manual tester who wants to become an automation specialist with no programming skills, this is the right tool for the future.

it_user693258
Head of QA at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
​It was the only way to organize and support automation testing process for our re-insurance tool for underwriters​.

What is most valuable?

Ability to test Java Swing UI on business application.

How has it helped my organization?

It was the only way to organize and support automation testing process for our re-insurance tool for underwriters.

What needs improvement?

Browser compatibility (probably solved in the newest versions).

Version 8 of Tosca had weak compatibility with automation via browsers. Firefox and IE produced issues, unexpected quits during execution of automation test, and during automated clicks at elements. Also, execution of tests was possible at one thread only (at the same time other instruments for automation, like Selenium, allow using multiple threads). But probably some of mentioned problems are not actual for up to date versions of Tosca.

No issues.

Not all of UI elements were managed correctly by regular Tosca functions, we was forced to use Custom Controls for doing that.

Eight out of 10.

A bit complex.

We were forced to use a custom version of IBM Java and custom controls for managing of Java Swing UI elements. Some time was required to understand how to link all this stuff with Tosca (most of our questions were ultimately answered in Tosca documentation). Time for first setups was three to four hours, per employee’s laptop, but after some attempts it was shortened to one hour.

Yes I can recommend Tosca, especially for Java Swing applications.

AutoIt.

QA Test Lead at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
It makes testing easy. Especially when we need to test lengthy Oracle R12 End to End flows.

What is most valuable?

User friendly, Model Based Test Automation.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes testing easy. Specially when we need to test lengthy Oracle R12 End to End flows. Tosca is really helpful. Easy to maintain test cases and Execution as well.

What needs improvement?

Dashboard for results still need to be improve in Tosca Test Suite

1 year

Sometime compatibility issues with Oracle forms.

98% Stability is fine with Version 9.3

Customer Service: 4.5/5 Technical Support: 5/5

Which

What is most valuable?

User friendly, Model Based Test Automation.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Dashboard for results still need to be improve in Tosca Test Suite

1 year

Sometime compatibility issues with Oracle forms.

98% Stability is fine with Version 9.3

4.5/5

5/5

HP QTP, We switched because of maintenance of scripts and test cases.

It was straightforward. In fact it was easy to deploy.

In-house one.

What other advice do I have?

I am really satisfied with the product.

I.T Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
You can convert manual test cases into automated ones. It supports both GUI as well as non-UI testing.

What is most valuable?

• Dynamic test case creation: Tosca lets you create automated test cases in no time. You can also convert your manual test cases into automated in a matter of seconds.
  • Optimize, manage and automate: It lets you jot down your requirements, design test cases, automate and analyse your test results within one GUI.
  • Scriptless automation:Testers can test without worrying about writing code.
  • Supports both GUI as well as non-UI testing.
  • Test case design: Really lets you think about your test approach and strategy, It lets you automatically generate all the possible (and required) permutations and combinations of the functionality to be tested.

How has it helped my organization?

We had this huge customer application (Java based) which needed to be tested end to end. Tosca let us execute around 400 test cases overnight. Hence, it saved a lot of time and brought value for our - and the vendor's :) - esteemed client.

What needs improvement?

Tricentis has vast and helpful documentation, including the Tosca manuals, along with a detailed description of each section that also contains various tips and techniques. Along with this documentation Tricentis has provided some videos, which are really helpful and help us understand the concept very quickly (and if we want to go into detail, then we can always refer to the detailed manual later).

It would be great if there are more video tutorials on the vendor's support website, at least for commonly used functionalities.

It's been over five years now; have been using it since version 7.6.

I have not encountered any deployment issues in my project.

I have not yet encountered any stability issues.

Customer service is excellent.

Technical support is excellent.

What other advice do I have?

The vendors' videos and webinars are of great help, so I would like them to keep coming up with more.

Senior Technical Automation Specialist at Sixsentix
Tosca CI: allows us to test when the code is deployed into the lower environment.

Valuable Features:

Tosca Continuous Integration (Tosca CI) - today's fast pace agile environment needs fast feedback. Working along with the development team and being able to test as soon as the code is available; gives the organisation an edge!

Tosca Continuous Integration allows you to exactly achieve that.

Improvements to My Organization:

We have implemented Tosca CI, it allows us to test as soon as the code is deployed into the lower environment. Automated sanity, smoke tests have been configured to run every time there is a code deployment. The sanity/smoke tests are triggered automatically from a build server. After the test finishes, a Junit result file is generated and fed back to the build server.

This saves us significant amount of time by avoiding additional co-ordination/follow-ups required for sanity/smoke test.

Room for Improvement:

The Junit result file gets overwritten each time the build is triggered from Jenkins or Bamboo. It would be nice to have the result XML files stored.

Deployment Issues:

Only minor issues.

Stability Issues:

The connection between the CI client and remote machine dropped off when certain standard Tosca modules were used in the test cases.

Example: TC Send Key, TC Name To Buffer

Scalability Issues:

No issues so far.

Customer service is reasonably good.

Initial Setup:

There were a few hiccups on the way with the configuration files.

Senior Technical Automation Specialist at Sixsentix
The recent version offers web analytics, along with recording for manual and automated test cases.

What is most valuable?

Tricentis Tosca is a fast-pace, ever-evolving test automation tool that can solve today's testing requirements and provide fast feedback. The recent version of Tosca introduces a number of exciting features, such as:

• Web analytics
  • Better identification of test objects
  • Record manual and automated test cases

How has it helped my organization?

• Easier to maintain than any other tool in the class
  • Fast turnaround
  • Ease of integration with third-party tools

What needs improvement?

Run time test execution status: They have improved on this a bit by introducing a progress bar. However, it can be further improved.

I have used it for 3.5 years.

I encountered deployment issues. However, their support is reasonably good and after some investigation, they finally resolved the problem.

I only encountered stability issues with versions lower than 8.x.

The current version is fairly stable.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.; it is very easy to scale.

Customer service is reasonably good. The live chat facility works just fine.

I have experienced that the tech support team is a mix of experienced and relatively newer staff. Most of the time, the queries get resolved.

The staff is nice and ready to help.

I previously used a different solution. I switched to Tosca because it has much faster turnaround time and is very easy to scale up.

Overall setup is reasonably simple. Only a few other settings need to be done before you can start using it, but it depends on what you need.

An in-house team implemented it.

Pricing and licensing is on the relatively higher side, when compared with other tools in the class. However, you start realising the benefits quite quickly.

Before choosing, I evaluated QTP and Selenium, along with Tosca Testsuite.

Software Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It analyzes the functional aspects of both standalone and browser applications.

What is most valuable?

Tosca has made the non-programming engineers job easy. The concept is unique but indeed the tool is very powerful in analyzing the functional aspects of both standalone and browser applications. I had a very wonderful experience with Tosca.

How has it helped my organization?

We have one application based on tax calculations and the transactions are calculated based on an Excel formula. We have developed implementations regarding how to implement or automate the application, but with Tosca the predefined modules from the TBOX engine and standard engine made our job to calculate the transactions easier.

Its unique way of test data maintenance re-usability of test cases is fantastic. Also, the support agents from the portal always respond to queries in less than 10 secs, which is very well appreciated!!

I am very happy using the product and also whenever I have asked for remote sessions, the agents always agreed.

What needs improvement?

I would request that they develop some modules on the classic engine.

I have been using it for more than a year now.

I have never encountered any deployment issues. Tosca is very intelligent in the way they handle the issues.

Tosca is efficient.

I would rate customer service 10/10.

Technical support is 10/10.

I am new to automation and Tosca is my first product.

Intitial setup is straightforward

A vendor team implemented it and they were 9/10.

We have achieved complete ROI.

We were advised to use QTP, but because we are new to programming, Tosca was the best for us to adopt.

Associate Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It uses model-based automation and does not require scripting knowledge.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features that I love within Tosca. To name a few:

• Model-based automation
  • Scripting knowledge is not required
  • Requirement traceability
  • Usage of built-in aid packs

How has it helped my organization?

Before implementing Tosca, the average time that we took for completing regression was about four days. After we started using Tosca, it has been reduced to six hours.

What needs improvement?

I personally feel like the pricing is a little bit on the high end.

I have been using Tosca for almost four years.

As of now, I have not encountered any deployment issues.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Tosca customer service is one of the best in its class.

The people involved in technical support really know what they are doing. This significantly reduces the amount of time it takes the end user to find solutions.

I was using a different solution, but it required scripting knowledge, which most of my team members did not have.

An in-house team implemented it.

Pricing is a bit on the higher end.

Before choosing, we evaluated QTP, Selenium, and so on.

Software Engineer Associate at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
A model based automation tool and doesn't require an explicit framework.

What is most valuable?

Tosca Testsuite is a model based automation tool and it doesn't require an explicit framework, unlike other automation tools.

How has it helped my organization?

Tosca very efficiently helps us manage the time taken for automation, its very user-friendly and easy to work with.

What needs improvement?

I feel that the Tosca tool should be improved for handling Siebel applications. My team has tried the automation for a few different types of applications with Tosca. One of them was a Siebel application. We faced the most difficulties in the automation of that Siebel application. Tosca doesn't handle Siebel applications as well as it handles other platform applications. We had to try a lot of workarounds to complete the automation. That was one issue we faced when we worked with Tosca.

Almost 10 months.

There are very minor issues. They can be easily resolved.

Tosca Testsuite is very reliable and stable.

Not much. I Haven't faced any such issues until now.

The support team of Tricentis is really excellent. The support portal and the support teams work and help is really appreciated.

I prefer TOSCA over other tools.

The initial setup was not that easy or not that complex. I can say it was moderate.

It was in-house.

What other advice do I have?

TOSCA Testsuite is a very good automation tool. It supports a wide variety of application automation. This tool provides a very efficient way of automation and also it is compatible with many other tools involved in the testing process like Quality Center, etc.

gagneet
Continuous Delivery Lead at SAI Global
A very different experience
Overall, it is quite a different experience in using it. It does not contain any code, and builds from the requirements as a model of what the actual application will contain. The catch being that initially you do not need to define your test cases from the application end and things might not even be in sequence of what the actual final application would look like. I have an analogy for this – a human body is composed of head, body, hands and legs. Each one has its own “attributes”, which in turn have “instances”. This is what is called the ‘Model-based approach’. Each hand will have attributes such as fingers, nails, elbow, fore-hand, wrist, etc. Then, all these attributes will have instances – long fingers, short fingers, thick fingers, etc. Now to build a body, you need to join all…

I have an analogy for this – a human body is composed of head, body, hands and legs. Each one has its own “attributes”, which in turn have “instances”. This is what is called the ‘Model-based approach’. Each hand will have attributes such as fingers, nails, elbow, fore-hand, wrist, etc. Then, all these attributes will have instances – long fingers, short fingers, thick fingers, etc. Now to build a body, you need to join all these “attributes” into a seamless body with the various parts working in tandem. This is what a test case would look like in TOSCA. With the initial parts of the body being the Test Case Design part. The joining together of the parts being the test case and the final infusion of blood being the execution and reporting [have not used Frankenstein here, as TOSCA tends to create a human rather than it’s alternate :-)]

TOSCA takes its roots in Object Oriented Modelling, employing concepts such as separation of concerns and encapsulation. In TOSCA, you can create classes, attributes and instances (objects). This modular breakdown makes the understanding and management of the actual requirements fairly simple; without going into how the final system under test would look like. I find this a very cool thing; although it took me some time to understand the concept in relation to the current bombardment of the existing Test Frameworks and Tools.

Again, the interface has a very intuitive design, which can be modelled according to the needs and quirks of the person working with it. People might argue here, that it is the same with Eclipse and other such tools like MS Visual Studio Test Professional, but the concept is totally different with TOSCA. You have the drag & drop capabilities, combined with a good integration across all the functionality provided from putting in the requirements to the final reporting; all in a single interface and tool, with support from a dedicated and technical team to get over the initial hiccups of using it.

The next good part, I found, was its capability to extend its technology adaptors (adaptors are used to automate tests against systems developed in various technologies, such as HTML, Java, .NET, Mainframe, Web Services, etc.) using the ubiquitous and simple VBScript and VBA; which is prevalent as the development language of choice in the Testing Community. I found this quite interesting, as we can now easily use TOSCA with almost any system, which we can code to make the underlying adaptor understand. For example, we had a hybrid mainframe green screen application to test (a rich Java GUI with an embedded mainframe emulator), which after a week’s work was ready to be tested with TOSCA; I have not come across such quick development cycles with other tools I worked with/on. That said, TOSCA has the capability to extend itself to different backend databases with the ease of just creating a simple module for it and using that module throughout your test cases to create a connection and then run your customized SQL queries.

If you start from the Requirement Definitions part, you can easily put in your current requirements and provide a measure of weight-age for each.

Then comes the part where you can extremely easily define the actions you can do on the objects which form your test cases. TOSCA by default defines 6 such actions – Do Nothing, Input, Output, Buffer, Verify and WaitOn, which take care of how a particular attribute defined earlier in the Test Design is taken action on.

TOSCA has been promoted by Tricentis in Australia for the past 3+ years now and has risen from being an unknown tool in the ANZ markets to now in the 2nd position after the ever prevalent QTP (although under HP’s banner, it has undergone a lot of iterations and name changes also now). Tricentis has used the MBT principles to create TOSCA as an easy to use and implement tool. It allows the test team to concentrate on creating the actual workflow of the application, from the ‘artifacts’ provided in the initial ‘Requirement’ and ‘Test Case Design’ sections. From then, it is a simple case of either matching these test workflows with the appropriate screen objects (‘Modules’), or running them manually [yes, you can run 'Test Case' created in TOSCA as manual or automated tests]. TOSCA provides a section for ‘Reports’, which is in PDF format or from the ‘Requirement’ tab, which provides an overview of what has been created, what is automated and what has passed/failed. The ‘Execution List’ tab provides a simplistic way to define the different ways (and environments) in which you can run your test cases.

As I wrote in my previously, TOSCA should be started from the Requirements of the application, where the application is broken into workflows and each is assigned a weight-age This provides the base for creating the test cases in our ‘Test Case Design’ section.

The ‘Test Case Design’ is the interesting part (and claimed by Tricentis, as not being used by any other tool, as yet). Here you need to dissect the requirements and application to create each attribute and assign its relevant ‘equivalence partitioning‘. Sometimes this may not be necessary and the TCD acts like a data sheet for the test team.

For most automation tools, you begin with the application and then match it with the requirements. TOSCA wants you to start from the requirements and build it to the actual tests. Then you add in the actual application and you are on the way to creating a well thought out automation or manual test practice.

With TOSCA v9.x, a new Cross-Browser testing concept called TBox has become the mainstay of the Standard and new modules to be created, giving users a great amount of flexibility. This allows you to create a ‘Module’ in one of the main browsers, and be used across IE, Chrome and FF.

Also, the Wizard has improved tremendously and has become a single point for different types os applications. It is now fairly easy to use the Wizard to dientify and open a Browser or a Desktop application and scan it quickly with good identification of the objects on the screen.

The only irritation that I find, is the change of the Context Menu (right-click), where an irritating feature of having additional (basic) features of the Right-Click being put as a small pic above the actual right-click context menu, where is it not noticeable properly and most of the time you are confused and looking for where those options went.

Another new feature that has been added to v9.3 is the Analytics Web Interface, which allows the Management or the Team to check the status of the Tests created and executed. Also introduced is a new REST API, which can be extended to connect directly to the Multi-User Repository and allow it to be accessed using the Web Interface.

A tighter integration with Agile tools like JIRA and TeamCity has also been introduced as a plug-in.

SAP TAX COE at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
The Risk Management feature is one we are seeing as very valuable in our environment.

Valuable Features

While we started implementation with a focus on testing automation, the Risk Management feature is one we are seeing as very valuable in our environment, allowing us to better focus on critical testing.

Improvements to My Organization

It has allowed us to have a highly reusable Regression Test suite. We have already been able to run it for an SAP upgrade and plan on using it on a regular basis (weekly) going forward.

Room for Improvement

The record and play is still a new feature and while SAP has been added to the latest version, it is still lacking usefulness for common repository setups.

Use of Solution

We've been using it for about 8 months

We've had no issues with deployment.

We've had no issues with stability.

We've had no issues with scalability.

We have had great customer service so far. Support has been responsive and helpful.

Technical support has been pretty responsive so far. They have provided solutions to most of our challenges and provide work arounds when no solutions were available.

Other Advice

The tool is very different than other testing tools and it is important to explain some of these different to all the stakeholders to ensure they really understand the benefits at their level.

By that I mean that a tester might see benefit in the ease of automation but a business user will see benefit in the risk coverage visualization, for example.

Ashwin Mor
Senior Software Engineer at Tech Mahindra
It's scriptless, so I don't need to know a lot of coding to test software, helping my company complete tasks other tools couldn't.

Valuable Features

• Scriptless tool -- great for those, like me, who don't have a lot of knowledge in coding to test software
  • Works quickly and easily

Improvements to My Organization

I have worked a lot with Tosca for the past year, and it has helped our organization complete many tasks which most of the other tools couldn’t.

Being a scriptless tool was pretty helpful for me, as I don't have a great knowledge of coding. Its features helps us complete the work soon, and in an easy way.

Use of Solution

It’s been one year I have been using this tool and it's been pretty good working with it.

5/5

It was easy, and a straightforward approach.

Other Advice

With it being a scriptless tool, it helps people without coding knowledge to work with ease.

The amazing features provided by Tricentis takes automation to a different world and it's fun working with it.

QA Automation Lead at a tech services company
The ability to scan the application and for it to have all of the attributes you need and put them into the test is the most valuable feature for us.

Valuable Features

I wouldn't usually describe user automation as a key feature but it is a key feature. The ability to scan the application and for it to have all of the attributes and things you need and put them into the test is the most valuable feature for us.

Improvements to My Organization

We did a full-blown POC. It was super successful and we were able to automate a large number of our scripts and save a lot of time and also automate a lot of our testing. We're now able to to build and get tests resolved. It has totally automated our testing, which is great. Now we are extending it across all of our teams.

Room for Improvement

We haven’t really defined this yet. Some tools we are trying to use, like virtualization, haven't been used yet, but this is really something on our end. What we can’t do we have customizations available. We know there’s a feature in the next release which automates even more, and we are trying to find a stop time so we can upgrade and get that feature.

It may be different for other companies, but for us, establishing a set of procedures to get people trained was important. The tool is fairly easy to use, but it's important that you have consistency and standards in place when using it.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for seven months.

It's very easy to install and easy for people to use.

There have been no bugs, and it's very stable.

We are rolling it out to five of our companies. We are trying to control things internally but the solution itself is 100% scalable.

We have had them here on site nearly every week. If they aren't here they are just a phone call away. We have happily invested to get extra training. From our standpoint we have to control the roll-out speed.

The initial set up is easy, not very complex at all. You can choose how you want to do it. Depending on the size of your company. You can choose how you want to do it.

Implementation Team

We had been a HP UFT user for a long time. We tried other tools, but this far and above exceeds this in terms of ease and flexibility with test scripts. For a lot of the tools you don’t need an automator.

it_user377766
QA Manager at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

The best feature is the speed in which we are able to get our automation up and running. We had an unorganized library of regression test cases. We have, within the first six months, been able to automate 85% on our critical business processes and we have been able to maintain that while keeping our BCR ratio down. We have also seen about 234 defects per month in production to less than 8.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to allocate more resources on projects instead of maintenance. Our maintenance has dwindled down to two employees and we have the confidence to try and other things and explore other units.

What needs improvement?

The only thing I am not happy about is not so much the product, but it's that we don’t a good way to control licenses. Sometimes people are using licenses at their desk and when they go home, they still have the license. There is no good way to control this. When we have an issue that someone tries to log in and they can’t, it’s down to the fact that someone has walked away with 3 licenses and they aren’t using them.

I've used it for one year.

There we're no issues with the deployment.

It’s been absolutely perfect for our organization. For a year and a half, we have been constantly running regressions and the results have been 100% consistent. If we do miss something and it misses production, it’s only due to a manual oversight and has nothing to do with the solution. When we follow our process, it’s consistent.

I am about to test it in a really big way. So far it has scaled to my needs. I am taking it organization- and vendor-wide in the next 6 months. Let’s see what happens when we bring a Cognizant on.

I would say it’s excellent. We have the best support ever. They have just gone over to the Magic Quadrant. I hope they are scalable with that move and we still get the same support.

We have used previous versions so this was down to an upgrade.

The use of the data sheet is not as clear-cut as we might think it would be. Some grasped it quickly and some did not. It depends on skill level whether or it is straightforward or complex. When it clicked, it worked well. It took a little longer than we would have liked.

What other advice do I have?

I would say, take the training and go in to the product and use it the way they recommend to use it. They trained as and it works well. Some listen and kindly say we will use it the Tricentis way and don’t, they end up seeing problems. If I were to make a recommendation, Tricentis is as the top of the list.

Quality Assurance Manager at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
This solution allows you to create an automated framework where you can manage everything in one place.

What is most valuable?

This solution allows you to create an entire automated framework where it allows you to easily manage everything in one place.

How has it helped my organization?

It's given us the ability to do automated tests which has made some things a lot quicker.

A part of our problem is that we don’t necessarily have staff 100% dedicated to it, so that's a problem in our area. We should have had more done and taken on some huge projects, so it’s more that we haven’t had the time to use it to the greatest extent possible.

What needs improvement?

Our stability problems mentioned below notwithstanding, I am sure the new release will address everything that we need. We are going to convert to the new version and we have to address a problem with one of our apps first. We recently went through some training, our staff was excited about that and being able to see the new version was great.

The biggest roadblock for us in getting the newest version right now is accommodation of our application. The current version makes our lives easier, but we're still holding off on some testing until the accommodation issues has been resolved.

I've used it for a year and a half.

We've had no issues with deployment.

I think the version we're using is fairly stable, but I think the new version is not so stable, and that’s what's stopping us from moving over to it. We're having application problems, but once that's resolved, we'll move over to the new version.

It's scaled for our needs so far.

Overall, I'd say that technical support is good. When I have had interaction or problems, I let them know and they provide me with get instant feedback. I have been happy with that.

We didn't use a previous solution, but I've personally worked with other tools. Testsuite is versatile, and that was the big thing about choosing it. We're using Power Builder, which Testsuite can support, along with other applications. So it's great having one tool instead of many.

What other advice do I have?

I think it’s important to get the training that is provided and really make sure you get hands-on time with the product. That’s our problem -- we haven’t been able to dedicate ourselves to it. If we had the time to stay with it and learn it then we could move forward.

Product Owner at Tricentis
It's an enterprise solution that approaches automated software testing from a business perspective, although it doesn't allow distribution of test cases to different machines for parallel execution.

Valuable Features:

For me there are three outstanding features:

The first one is the test case design feature. When using the feature in your project - I definitely recommend using it – it forces you to think about your test approach, and your overall test strategy. Using this feature you have to define valid and invalid states and conditions of your SUT from a business perspective (e.g. defining a valid age or a valid combination of two business properties). The tool helps you here by generating all necessary combinations automatically out of your prior definitions. You link them to a test case template and all the necessary combinations of your test cases are generated automatically. In most cases you need to adapt the generated test cases for the specific test case, but the fundamental work is done by the tool.

The second one is the simplicity of creating test cases and the underlying model based approach. The process of creating a test case is pretty straightforward. In case of a GUI application you “scan” the current screen of the SUT first. Afterwards all UI controls are displayed and you can choose the relevant one for your test. A representation of the screen – a module – is created and stored in a module folder. You can then simply drag and drop this module into your test case. In the test case, you select, for each UI control, an action e.g. “click” or a specific value. Afterwards, you can arrange the test cases in different execution lists, which are the representations of a test run from a business perspective (e.g. smoke test, regression test, etc.).

Overall, everything is reusable simply via drag and drop, and you will always have a single point of maintenance (e.g. in a future release of your SUT a button was added, you just need adapt the module. Linked test cases and execution lists are updated automatically).

The third one is the support of multiple UI technologies as well as non-UI technologies. In addition, there are (extra payable) features like mobile testing support and service virtualization capabilities.

Improvements to My Organization:

The tool is meant to be an enterprise solution for automating software tests. The vendor has its own test philosophy and wants you to follow it. It tries to hide all technical information of the SUT and forces you to always look at your SUT from a business perspective.

The target audience are business domain experts and software testers without technical knowledge. This can be confusing for testers with a technical background who are used to scripting their way through the SUT.

Introducing the Tricentis Tosca Testsuite in a company goes ideally along with changing the whole business process of software test. I would say the company needs to adapt to the tool, and not the other way round, which is not always bad.

Room for Improvement:

Though the tool claims to be an enterprise solution, it lacks some enterprise features. I would like to see a central management capability for admins, where you define initial workspaces, parametrize settings or update all clients centrally. Furthermore, the tool needs a real versioning functionality.

The out-of-the-box support for third party ALM tools must be improved. Embedding it in an existing application landscape often goes along with developing an adapter for third party components. In terms of extending the product from a technical viewpoint, the documentation for APIs is rare and incomplete. It definitely needs more code examples and a platform for developers.

The tool always gives the user one specific view where you create your test cases. This works perfectly for GUI applications, but not always for non-GUI applications. For instance, when defining test cases for web services, you have exactly the same layout as creating a test case for a Java application. Technology specific characteristics are somehow mapped into the existing view, which increases the complexity. Furthermore, the abstraction at non-GUI tests is not given as in GUI tests. You really need to have the technical understanding of web services or XML to create test cases, this runs counter to the target audience.

The test case design functionality is really complex, and tends to be rocket science, so this needs to be simplified. It goes along with the reporting functionality, when you want to create your own layout and customize the report. I didn’t really get it to work.

It would be nice to distribute test cases to different machines for parallel execution. Especially when it comes to mobile test or multi-browser test where the test case keeps the same but the underlying technical base changes.

Use of Solution:

I ‘ve been working with the Tricentis Tosca Testsuite for more than four years in the context of software test consultancy. I have a decent overview how the tool is used in different companies over several projects. I have gained experience in all functional areas of the tool. Furthermore, I have developed a lot of technical extensions to enhance the tools capabilities.

Overall I would rate the customer service as excellent. The support is available via email and phone 24/5 and is located in the headquarters of Tricentis. This means that the support staff is sitting next to the technical experts which, nowadays, is rare. You get a quick response that is often the solution for your problem. In case it is a more difficult inquiry, and is not solvable with first level support, you’ll be informed that your inquiry will be passed to an expert. Depending on the complexity, you can count on having a solution within one or two working days, which is pretty fair.

Furthermore the support team offers remote sessions, together with technical experts, to find a solution directly on your machine. The support is available in German and English.

On the downside, the community outside the Tosca support portal seems to be pretty small, or is nearly nonexistent. You hardly find solutions, or best practices, for a specific problem on the web. Other vendors have a more active community, and you can often simply Google a solution to the problem. In most cases with Tricentis, you need the support team or you have to contract on-site consultancy.

Initial Setup:

It depends on your environment and your company policy. Basically, you have three components: a license server, a database and the desktop application which needs to be installed on the same machine where the SUTis located. If you want to use the mobile and/or service virtualization feature you need additional components and preparations.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

You will not find an official pricing list. You have to contact the local sales team.

Other Advice:

The tool is a desktop application and comes with all advantages and disadvantages of a desktop application in terms of deployment and scalability.

There is a cloud version (TaaS), but this version is only suitable for manual tests and web tests. Web applications need to be publicly accessible within the cloud environment (so it is not suitable for internal testing environments). It would be a nice feature if the cloud version of Tricentis Tosca Testsuite is able to drive your locally installed application.

Do not buy this tool if you simply need a driver for your automation, as open source solutions (e.g. Selenium), or technology specific solutions are more suitable here. Also, if you are looking for a complete ALM solution, there are more capable tools out there. If you have a testing department full of techies, they will feel too restricted with the tool. It’s also not suitable for manual testing only, as there are better solutions for this purpose out there. But, if you have the plan to test multiple technologies, and your testing departments consists mainly of business domain experts or software tester with few technical background, and you are planning to introduce this tool as an enterprise solution and/or want to replace existing fragmented solutions, then it is worth evaluating it.

You definitely want to have a product training first prior to implementation, and you definitely want to have on-site consultancy while making your first steps with the tool. In most cases, you also need technical consultancy in cases the tool does not recognize UI controls.
Focus on a small prototype project first together with on-site consultancy. Take the learnings from that project, and do the next one on your own.

The company is a lot smaller than the top dogs, but they are compensating it with passion and a lot of new features in every release.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I wrote this review in Sept. 2015 before I began working at Tricentis.
IT Business Consultant at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's nice that it uses a risk-based approached via a weighted requirement set, although the context menu in the newer versions is not ideal.

What is most valuable?

The features we've found most valuable are-- It’s a modular structure, so changes in a module are automatically updated in all relevant test cases. It uses a risk-based approached via a weighted requirement set.

What needs improvement?

Not all functions are logical without certain know-how. Context menu in the newer versions is not ideal.

I've used it for about one year.

During an upgrade there were issues, but this was due to certain security settings on our end, and the Tosca support team was very useful in helping us with those setting and resolving the issues.

We're discussing internally with…

What is most valuable?

The features we've found most valuable are--

• It’s a modular structure, so changes in a module are automatically updated in all relevant test cases.
  • It uses a risk-based approached via a weighted requirement set.

What needs improvement?

• Not all functions are logical without certain know-how.
  • Context menu in the newer versions is not ideal.

I've used it for about one year.

We're discussing internally with fully integrate this tool within our business.

10/10. The customer service is top-notch.

10/10. The technical support is top-notch.

In our department there was not a different solution in place.

The initial setup was relatively straightforward with support from our network department for the setting up of a common repository.

We implemented it via our in-house team in combination with Tricentis consultants.

We also looked at Worksoft.

What other advice do I have?

Try it out and do a Proof of Concept.

it_user346803
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It helps us to create very accurate test cases, those that cover the most critical parts of our applications. However, it must recognize more controls than it does currently with only C# and Java.

What is most valuable?

I think the most valuable features are:

• Scriptless testing
  • Modules (object repository)
  • Test data management
  • It can be used by non-technical users, such as business analysts

How has it helped my organization?

The product helps us to create very accurate test cases. The goal was not to create plenty of test cases, but only those that cover the most critical parts of our applications.

What needs improvement?

Some areas have already been improved such as loops and conditions, but there is still one major issues. If you need to improve one of the Tosca engines, you have to develop it in the same language, such as C# and Java. So you need more technical experts to help you. QTP is more flexible on that point. Tosca must recognize more controls than it does currently.

I've used it for two years, and I spent only a few months in a project for a large insurance company.

No issues encountered.

10/10 - it's one of the most efficient support teams I use.

Tosca was chosen by the customer before we started the project.

Everything was already done before we started the project.

It was done through a in-house team, but they worked very closely with the vendor.

What other advice do I have?

You should be very careful if you have to customize Tosca because it could be very expensive, so take your time to evaluate it. Test it with many applications, many objects, and many controls.

Test Analyst at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Organized and easy to use testing tool, with options for fast automation and easy maintenance, also with tendency to improve greatly with every next release

Valuable Features

We've found TBox to be valuable for scanning applications and automating test cases. In newest version, time of scanning the application has been reduced immensely. Also, there is a lot of ways to identify controls that doesn't have unique IDs, and that process is more stable than before.

Improvements to My Organization

TOSCA is quite organized by itself, so it helps us do our job more efficient and quicker.

Room for Improvement

The ability to create more complex TestCases with "If" and "While" loops (now it provides IF, DO and WHILE statements, but they can't really be implemented the way we are used to use those loops).

Use of Solution

I've used the latest version for about three to four months, though TOSCA in general for more than a year-and-a-half.

N/A

Some issues with stability, but those are minor errors. Some errors happen without obvious reasons, or they're not obvious to me yet.

N/A

Generally, the support is good, but they give too many generic answers. Sometimes the problem is more direct and it requires deeper and longer thinking. That could be a bit improved.

Something in the middle. It's not really for somebody who is not passionate about testing. It's great for somebody who thinks about all the aspects of the TestCase.

Other Advice

Great tool for testing, but only when used by an educated tester or by somebody who's gone through the whole course and had at least a little bit of practice. It's worth it.

it_user318909
Senior Consultant at a engineering company with 501-1,000 employees
Using the TCD, subject-matter experts are able to perform systematic reviews of Testcases and we can then run regression tests.

What is most valuable?

Testcase design is most valuable, as it has helped in 2 different aspects. Storing the test data in one place, and deciding how many test cases are needed for a given scenario using one of the inbuilt algorithms, thereby ensuring the test coverage.

How has it helped my organization?

We used the TCD (red folder to design the test flow), and it was easy to get the tests reviewed by the subject-matter experts as it allowed systematic review of Testcases. Once it was OKd by the SME, we could confidently run the tests for regression.

What needs improvement?

Most of us have had the complaint that loop statements are missing, without which testing in reality was difficult, as many times Test scenarios needed to be run in iteration and version 8.4 has included this feature.

When I did work with v7.4, I often noticed that the Tosca executor abruptly hung and only way out was to kill the process. But this has been drastically improved in the later versions.

I would rate 3/5 as there is not much knowledge base available on the internet for one to independently solve the issues encountered, which is easily available and in abundance for other tools like QTP.

We previously (for six years) used QTP, and the client chose to have only Tosca for test automation as the license costs were lower compared to the HP tools.

The initial set up was complex as we had always used keywords and integrated Excel, pdf and word documents for storing Test evidence, it was difficult to achieve the same standard of Test evidence with Tosca. Not having the flexibility to code was posing a problem in the initial days.

The tool was always installed by a dedicated team from the vendor as we had not had an opportunity to know in detail how the installation worked.

ROI has been pretty high, but only in comparison to the tools we had from HP earlier. However, maintenance costs, and not having Tosca experts available, are the factors that have adversely affected the ROI in some cases.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise that, if one needs to install Tosca for test automation, always go for the latest version, as Tricentis is implemeting all the user feedbacks genuinely in their tools and it is evolving and has a great potential.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a strategic vendor.
Head of Test Automation at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It allows us to scale up test automation teams without the need for scripting/coding skills, though we'd recommend a POC to ensure the solution works for a particular system.

What is most valuable?

• Test cases design
  • Model based test automation

How has it helped my organization?

From a services perspective, it allows us to scale up test automation teams very quickly, because test analysts can contribute to the test automation effort without the need for scripting/coding skills.

From our clients perspective (e.g. large banks, government organisations etc.), it has allowed them to decrease their total execution effort, improve their time to market, and increase their total risk coverage.

I've used it for three years.

Customer service is very good. The online chat has extremely quick response times (average of 10s wait), and the staff are knowledgeable.

Technical support, is very good. The online chat has extremely quick response times (average of 10s wait), and the staff are knowledgeable.

The Test Automation team at TTC use many other test automation tools/solutions, and have chosen Tosca as our preferred tool because of it's unique model based approach to test automation. We have found this approach to have many benefits including; ease of use, extendability, robustness, maintainability and scalability.

The initial set up and install for Tosca is very straightforward. The client install takes less than an hour, and the only other components required are a license server, and a database. If the right people are available (e.g. System Administrator and DataBase Administrator) then the full infrastructure can be set up on day one.

Generally we see our clients achieve positive ROI within one to three years. This is along with other non-financial benefits which can be achieved immediately e.g. decreased execution time.

What other advice do I have?

We would always advise customers to have experts involved during a test automation implementation. Generally, we recommend conducting a POC to prove that the solution works technically for your systems, then we recommend a pilot project, to prove that the business benefits can be realized, and to provide experience about the product. Along with the POC and the pilot, a portfolio analysis should also be conducted to determine which test suites should be automated.

Expert consultants, like our test automation specialists, should conduct the POC and be heavily involved in the pilot. With an ongoing involvement during subsequent projects, and can also be brought in to supplement the team.

Try the Tosca Udemy course and download a trial to get a feel for Tosca as a product. Then, reach out to the local Tricentis Partner or the Tricentis Services Team for help with a POC and ongoing Tosca implementation. Ask for case studies and reference sites from any consultancy company when implementing any test automation tool. These case studies/references should ideally be local and tool specific. Expertise in other tools doesn't always translate to successful implementation in another.

it_user318897
Test Analyst at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Test case automation and maintenance has reduced the manpower and time needed for testing, although sometimes a scanning of the system under test lasts longer than it should.

What is most valuable?

• Complete or partial test automation
  • Methodology for reducing the number of test cases needed along with high risk coverage
  • Easy way to prioritize requirements
  • Ease of test case maintenance
  • It can be used by people with no previous programming knowledge
  • Agile

How has it helped my organization?

Test case automation and ease of test case maintenance through Tosca has reduced the manpower needed for testing, reducing the time needed for testing, and has thus saved money. Management of projects also got a lot easier.

What needs improvement?

• They could improve scanning of the applications under test
  • Useful tips could be improved
  • Better and graeter number of examples in manuals
  • Reduced cost of licenses

I've used it since March 2014.

Sometimes it is a bit slow when the project is too big and too complex. If there are custom controls being used, sometimes a scanning of the system under test lasts longer than it should.

Medium to high. (always quick to response, but sometimes not that helpful).

Medium to high. (always quick to response, but sometimes not that helpful).

We previously used HP Application Lifecycle Management for manual testing. We chose to switch to Tosca because of the test case automation and it offers easier management.

Initial setup is pretty much straightforward, but the licenses need to be managed separately the after setup.

We implement it through an in-house team.

ROI is high because of the market that is switching more and more to agile, automated testing, and our company also develops add-on for Tosca.

There are four types of licenses available, and you should use one that best suits your resources and preconditions. Because of expensive licenses, if your company is new to the market, do not start a business using Tosca if you expect slow growth - use cheaper solutions instead, and switch to Tosca once you are overwhelmed with projects and work.

it_user317874
Business Consultant at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
This automated testing solution reduced our manual efforts, increased test process replication, and facilitated bug analysis.

What is most valuable?

The test automation function is independent of the technology used by the drag & drop functionality.

How has it helped my organization?

The project that I used this product on did not have a professional test management approach within the test activities they had for their IT systems. That's why they implemented automated testing with Tosca Testsuite, and the manual effort got reduced. At the same time, the replication of test processes was raised by up to 100%. This made the bug analysis for their software development much easier.

What needs improvement?

There's not much. The release cycles of the vendor are much faster than what companies can implement. Sometimes, out of the box functionalities are reduced to reduce the tools complexity, but then customers do miss some functionalities they had in the past.

I've used it for two years.

Not part of my job, but during the upgrade our IT departmend faced several issues in the installation process of the new version.

Similar issues within the execution of automated tests occurred, but they were solved within the configuration settings and/or with the help of the vendor.

Best I have ever seen.

Best I have ever seen.

Not as part of this project, but I used HP Quality Center as a test tool before. I found it much easier to learn as Tosca Testsuite has been devleoped for users with a very good and intuitive user interface.

The main installation was already done when I started. The setup of work areas, and multi-user workspaces is very easy and straightforward. Different options are described very well in the user manual.

Not sure, but I think the basic installation was done by a vendor team.

It's hard to calculate because there is no base available to compare with. However, test automation and management setup can be done very fast, and it has lower real costs when compared to doing a manual test execution for three or four times.

The department did an evaluation between HP Quality Center and TOSCA before my assignment started. The main reasons for choosing Tosca Testsuite was its easier usability as well as lower costs.

What other advice do I have?

Check the efforts of your manual testing per application every year, and then decide on what, and how, to automate. Usually there should be an ROI at the latest, after using Tosca Testsuite for two years.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're a partner.
it_user289665
Technical Tester at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Tbox automates complex test scenarios and it's helped us keep track of test execution and coverage.

Valuable Features:

I mostly use the TOSCA Commander to create test cases. I also utilize the Tbox feature to automate complex test scenarios. Lastly, I find the requirements linking very useful in analysis after a release (i.e. test coverage, etc.).

Improvements to My Organization:

The product is very useful in keeping track of test execution and coverage. This is because it has a feature called Execution List which shows resources and the test cases they have executed. There is also a tab for Requirements where the test cases can be linked.

So, by combining those two together, you will be able to see which test cases are mapped to requirements, and if they have been executed. You will also see the number of passed and failed test cases. It is very easy to use once you know all the features. It barely crashes and recovers gracefully most of the time.

Room for Improvement:

The product, at times, does not recognize objects, especially in web applications. It would be good to have that fixed in the next version. As a work around, you have to use the feature called TBox which allows you to scan complex objects.

Use of Solution:

I have been using it for more than six months.

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

Scalability Issues:

Initial Setup:

The initial setup was hassle free. Although, it would be great if the documentation for the initial set up would include more screenshots and a troubleshooting section.

it_user294936
Software Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's automated, allows us to design and integrate manual test cases, and we can see status and results in the requirements section.

What is most valuable?

• Test case design
  • Shows results in the requirements section
  • Manual test cases
  • Automation

What needs improvement?

Test automation – how you can record the module. It’s already easier to record than it was, but there is still room for improvement.

UI has gotten better but could still be improved.

There are some keyword shortcuts in test case design and in general that could be introduced. Sometimes everything is too big – it’s hard to describe.

I've used it for four years.

Not so far because we only started automating now. So far we have not tried to move the existing project to a new version- we just started.

With the license stability, we have had a lot of issues. There were many interruptions to the connection and took two-three weeks and have installed the license ourselves.

We just started – it should be ok.

Quite good – they were trying to solve the problem.

It was ok. I have seen better. They tried to find solutions quickly so that is a plus, and they always called back when there was an appointment or said they would call back.

No previous version was used.

Straightforward – only problem was with the license server.

We looked at Ranorex and Eggplant. We decided to go with Testsuite because you can integrate manual test cases and you can see the reports in a nice way and see how the test case is going in the requirement section.

it_user277017
Senior Test Manager, Head of Test Automation Process at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It accomplishes what a lot of different tools did before. We use it in our main, regressive, HTML, and web-case tests.

What is most valuable?

Business dynamic steering and table steering.

How has it helped my organization?

For example, you can make templates and share them with storage elements. We use it in our main, regressive, HTML, and web-case tests.

What needs improvement?

At the moment, none. In the latest version I don’t see much room for improvement.

I've used it for six years.

In the past there were.

The product is stable; no problems with stability features.

What is most valuable?

Business dynamic steering and table steering.

What needs improvement?

I've used it for six years.

In the past there were.

The product is stable; no problems with stability features.

We had in the past, but those are gone in the latest versions. In the beginning there were problems with scaling up, but those are gone as well.

We had QA Windrunner, which was running out of its maintenance lifecycle. Also, the product wasn’t very good as it caused problems, was only a tool for testing automation, and we needed a tool that could be used for several purposes like reporting, putting in requests, and data storage. Testsuite accomplishes what a lot of different tools did before. Now, three or so tools are no longer needed, and our testing is all unified in TOSCA.

It's very good.

It's very good.

It was implemented through a vendor team – our team members had done a TOSCA certification so they worked together.

What other advice do I have?

The best way to look into the solution, you have to experience things for yourself. Have technical support from the beginning so that you have guidance early on.

Test Manager with 501-1,000 employees
We're able to create reusable data classes when using our test cases, and non-technical testers can automate tests with access to information.

What is most valuable?

We like the idea of reusable data classes when we are using our test cases. We work with a lot of data, and so being able to create reusable data classes is very helpful to us.

How has it helped my organization?

The primary driver for us is that it puts automation into the hands of non-technical testers. Previous programs, if you’re not a programmer, you can forget about it, but with TOSCA it’s easier to get information and start automating your own tests.

What needs improvement?

So far, all our issues have had to do with our unfamiliarity with the product.

We are in a preparation phase – we haven’t seen everything yet. We purchased it about six or seven months ago, and started actively creating tests in the last six weeks.

It's excellent, 9/10.

It’s excellent, 9/10, as the response times have been quick and there haven’t been any problems.

Initial setup was straightforward. It took a little bit of juggling to get a central database set up as defaults to working in isolation, but other than that it was OK.

We did it in-house.

TOSCA was recommended, so we didn’t look into anything else. Our software provider said it could support their solution so we went for it. We had looked into HP UFT and Smartbear. We had used HP UFT but are fading away from them.

What other advice do I have?

Be prepared to change how you approach test automation – definitely a mindset shift. It's highly configurable so you want to make good use of that. Don’t be afraid to ask for help from Tricentis, they will get back to you. Have a good bank balance because it’s not cheap.

Senior Manager of QA at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Very rich automation/test management framework but consider the coding needed to integrate with your application
Recently, I was asked a set of questions regarding my experience with TOSCA. Here are the questions and my answers: General info: Is there any need for coding or scripting? Based on my research, I expect that the module is created when scanning has been finished. But some users commented that coding or scripting is needed. - Depends on the application and technology you are trying to automate. TOSCA has a lot of engines (HTML, .NET, Java, Webservices, etc.) with control library's that can be used out of the box. For something that is not covered by these engines (like a custom java widget) you will need to code for steering. Are control statements like if/then/else and loops supported? - Loops are not directly supported. If/then/else are supported for templates (data…

General info:

Are control statements like if/then/else and loops supported?

- Loops are not directly supported. If/then/else are supported for templates (data driven test cases).

Test case organization:

Is it possible to group test steps and according to our needs include/exclude particular test groups?

Is it possible to rearrange test steps once they are created?

Is it possible to perform multiple execution for test steps and test groups?

Is there a possibility to create some variables whose values can be adjusted in some of the test steps?

- Yes. In TOSCA variables are called "buffers"

Is possible to add references in a test to some other test?

- It's possible to organize test steps in the library and reuse them in TC's. For other kinds of references you are free to create custom fields (to store path to other TC for example).

Is it possible to modify verdicts, for example, if a test fails that is declared as passed?

Is a test progress view supported? Is it possible to stop/start a test on an error or some other event?

- Yes. You can define different behavior on an error (for example requesting a manual action to continue).

Is it possible to schedule tests? This is useful to have when night runs are executed

- You can trigger TOSCA execution using the TOSCA API from cmd line using windows scheduled jobs.

When some test step fails in some test group, how is that reflected to the corresponding test group? Does the parent test group also fail?

- The parent test groups are organized as "Business execution lists". If one TC fails, Business execution list will also fail.

Logging:

Is it possible to filter results?

How is logged data is stored?

- Execution results stored in a TOSCA repository (local or shared (DB))

Is it possible to export logs/results?

- Yes. You can print repository content to various formats (excel, PDF, jpg, etc.)

Other:

How does TOSCA work with the command line?

- The TOSCA API offers all operations in the cmd as the TOSCA Commander shell. Run TC's, Create TC's, print report, everything...

Is it possible to configure test speed? For example, to insert some delay when GUI is slow.

- Yes, there are multiple settings and options to play with the speed.

Is there any possibility to explore a linux system with TOSCA? Maybe via putty or WinSCP?

- I don't have experience with TOSCA and LInux. Theoretically TOSCA can run external applications. We have created integration of TOSCA and JUnit tests for our needs.

When a test is created on one system, can it be easily transferred to another system? For example, when I create a test, I want to deliver it to another colleague who is working on another machine. Or does he have to create it on his own machine?

- You can use multi-user repository, which has checkin/checkout operations like SVN or CVS. You can also export your TC's or other TOSCA objects to file and import to other local/shared repository.

In the end, what is your opinion/experience about TOSCA?

- Overall impression about TOSCA is quite positive - it's a very rich automation/test management framework. In the right hands it can be used for creation of a really powerful and complex solution. There are many more features that are useful for automation but there can really be a need for some coding effort to integrate with your application - this needs to be considered.

QA Expert at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
I have used TOSCA for R&D only,. not any real client project. TOSCA is very good for Business requirement based test case not complex test scenarios Good Visual representation, easy to understand and comfortable to implement business ideas. Can cover only user validations. (you can not satisfy all possible complex scenarios and requirements) It is a good test case building tool for managers or business personnel not for a core QA person. So, if you are targeting for Technical QA career, it might not help that much. But, if you are on to business area, team lead who manage clients with requirements, it is very good tool for you. In market, it is not that much popular, so you may not get many jobs that need TOSCA

I have used TOSCA for R&D only,. not any real client project.

TOSCA is very good for

• Business requirement based test case not complex test scenarios
  • Good Visual representation, easy to understand and comfortable to implement business ideas.
  • Can cover only user validations. (you can not satisfy all possible complex scenarios and requirements)
  • It is a good test case building tool for managers or business personnel not for a core QA person. So, if you are targeting for Technical QA career, it might not help that much. But, if you are on to business area, team lead who manage clients with requirements, it is very good tool for you.
  • In market, it is not that much popular, so you may not get many jobs that need TOSCA
it_user72699
QA Expert at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Great tool but I think it will take a few more years to mature & grow
After working on TOSCA for 18 months this is what I think:- (Note: this is my personal opinion and not that of the company I work for) There is no such thing as "No Coding skills required". Even TOSCA has some custom vb script files that come with the installation that allow you to do certain automation tasks. Also you can create your own vb script files and associate them to modules within TOSCA for further customisation. My understanding of test automation is keeping your test scenarios in the centre and wrap your automation tool around it. TOSCA shakes this basic understanding of mine to the core. It's either the TOSCA way or the highway :) I do not consider myself an expert TOSCA userit makes it easy simply because I do not know how to create custom controls…

After working on TOSCA for 18 months this is what I think:-

(Note: this is my personal opinion and not that of the company I work for)

I do not consider myself an expert TOSCA userit makes it easy simply because I do not know how to create custom controls in TOSCA (yet). May be future improvement in HELP files might help here.

The only benefit I have seen is the ease the maintenance of existing test automation scripts. Because the way TOSCA binds the tests with objects, test data sheet and so on when the time comes for maintenance it is really easy.

Concept wise - TOSCA is an great tool. A tool that promises no coding skills required. A tool that talks about moving away from conventional test automation methodology of object driven test automation towards model based test automation. But I think it is still a bit further away from reality and will take a few more years to mature & grow on its own.

Download our free Tricentis Tosca Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.