Turbonomic Overview

Turbonomic is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Analytics tools. It is most often compared to VMware vRealize Operations (vROps): Turbonomic vs VMware vRealize Operations (vROps)

What is Turbonomic?

Turbonomic Application Resource Management matches application demand to infrastructure supply to continuously ensure application performance. The software integrates with leading APM and IT service management solutions to form a control plane to automate IT resource management, on-premises and in multicloud environments.

Turbonomic is also known as VMTurbo Operations Manager.

Turbonomic Buyer's Guide

Download the Turbonomic Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Turbonomic Customers

JPMorgan Chase, First Canadian Title, UBS, Aetna, Alpha Maxx, London School of Economics, Expedia, JMC Steel Group, Southern Waste Systems.

Turbonomic Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Senior Director IT at BARBRI Inc.
Its ability to scale up and down on demand allows for maximum cost efficiency

What is our primary use case?

Turbonomic provides insight and recommendations into our Azure cloud configurations designed to allow optimum efficiency and cost. By analyzing the load on demand, the product can sense when more resources are needed as well as when resources are being wasted.

What other advice do I have?

Wonderful account team and support. Training is exceptionally thorough.
Alliances Director, Data Center at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
We have seen a 30% performance improvement overall

What is our primary use case?

Resource Optimization: The system automatically sizes and moves resources based on the needs of the applications. This optimization results in better performance and less resources needed.

• "The system automatically sizes and moves resources based on the needs of the applications."
  • "We have seen a 30% performance improvement overall."
  • "Enhanced executive reporting standard with the tool beyond the reports that can be created today. Something that can easily be used with upper management on a monthly or quarterly basis to show the impact to our environment."
Learn what your peers think about Turbonomic. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Technical Analyst IT, VMware Infrastructure Team at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
We utilized the Plan View to understand our hardware requirements

What other advice do I have?

Turbonomic has provided us an automagic optimization of our environment from an operational point of view. I am not sure if we could have as easily setup the same functionality from vROps or on such a granular level.
Architect at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
The install is simple and the product is intuitive

What other advice do I have?

You should at least try this out. The install is simple and the product is intuitive. What other solution is capable of showing you an issue, recommending a solution, and making the necessary changes to resolve the issue?
IT Manager - Business Technology Solutions at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
We get weekly and monthly reporting to our operations. This gave insight to management on how our virtual environment is doing in terms of efficiency and capacity.

What other advice do I have?

Automation is a good goal but we can't get there until the organization is ready.
IT Operations Manager - Infrastructure at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
We have rebalanced our storage platform improving performance and capacity use across hosts and storage

What other advice do I have?

As a manager of a large complex critical healthcare infrastructure, this product has been a huge benefit to me and my team. It is the go to solution for troubleshooting and decision-making regarding our VMware-based datacenters.
Systems Engineer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Its support quality is what all support organizations should aspire to achieve
TeamLead at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enforces compliance policies across a hybrid cloud
Enterprise Systems Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helps rightsizing over-provisioned VMs for resource reclamation

What other advice do I have?

It works great. I definitely recommend it.
Systems Administrator at a government with 10,001+ employees
Gives us a good idea of the hardware specs we will need for future expansion
IT Servers & Infrastructure Leader at a tech services company
We have automated our virtualization management and are providing performance to our Apps when they needs it.

What other advice do I have?

With Turbonomic Operations Manager automated all environment virtualization infrastructure (Hyper-V, vSphere, XenServer) with one unique management console. We save our CAPEX working with a plan inside of Operations Manager when we change hardware by lifecycle or when we have new projects, we have a capacity planning with that.
System Administrator at UL Workplace Health & Safety
Video Review
I don't have to care for and feed each individual VM, nor make sure that the environment's balanced just the right way. The reporting could be better graphically.

• "The biggest value I'm getting out of VMTurbo right now is the complete hands-off management of equalizing the usage in my data center."
  • "The one point is the reporting. We do have reports out of it, but they're not the level of graphical detail I would like."

What other advice do I have?

I would say if you have a VMware environment that you are having to spend almost any time load balancing and VMotioning your machines, you're going to need VMTurbo. If you have constrained resources, if you have a limited budget on how many hosts you can buy, you're going to need something like VMTurbo to make sure that the applications that need CPU and RAM are getting it, and the ones that don't are resized so that you can get those resources back. In reviewing it, we really like to get hands on. We engaged a lot of times through the VMware user group. We get sponsors out to those meetings…
User at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Handles load balancing in VMware clusters.

What is most valuable?

Turbonomic does a great job of handling things like: Load balancing in VMware clusters Giving insights into how VMs are being utilized resource-wise Giving insights into how virtualized applications are running inside of VMs Offering suggestions (and that can be automated) to adjust clusters, host hypervisors, and VMs for the best performance

How has it helped my organization?

It has saved us a lot of time in keeping our vSphere clusters running smoothly.

We have used this solution for four to five years.

Customer Service: This is one of the areas that Turbonomic shines. Any issues we have with the product are handled quickly. Turbonomic has a great and…
CTO at F12.net
Provides automation of the workloads to the best hosts and trending of resource capacity over time.
Pre Sales Engineer - BigTec at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A performance-based application that provides automatic planning on every type of infrastructure

What other advice do I have?

With this product, the admin IT takes time to do other kind of jobs and not to resolve problems.
Business Unit Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
MSP
We were able to visibly see the future deployments and the impact that it would have on the existing environment.

What other advice do I have?

Immediate ROI was seen due to the reduced IT infrastructure CapEx. I highly recommend deploying Turbonomic prior to purchasing any hardware.
Senior IT Analyst, Infrastructure Systems at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Great product and we use it extensively, from setting up VMturbo to load balance our VM's across a cluster.

What other advice do I have?

Great product and we use it extensively, from setting up VMturbo to load balance our VM's across a cluster, implementing right sizing recommendations, policy rules, memory/storage and CPU trends and plans for future projections in order to determine how we can reduce our hardware and licensing footprints.
CIO at a university with 501-1,000 employees
The PLAN feature helps us with forecasting and planning resources.

What other advice do I have?

It's been a great fit for our organization.
System Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees

What is most valuable?

Dashboards for critical servers. When there is an issue, we can get to critical data quickly. Much faster than using vCenter.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to focus in on the actual problem faster.

What needs improvement?

I have found the interface not to be intuitive. Hopefully this will be addressed in the future.

About one year.

User

What is most valuable?

The automation has been great. We had some VMs running slow due to high IO on their LUNs, and Turbonomic automatically moved them to correct the problem. Our server performance has been much improved. As the environment changes, Turbonomic adjusts and keeps everything running smooth.

How has it helped my organization?

Response times have been improved on many of our servers.

We've had the solution a few months.

We allowed our DRS rules to be used for Turbonomic, but didn't have one of the rules selected as active in VMware. All we had to do was click a check box to fix the issue.

What do I think

Sr. System Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
It has reduced our hardware costs by allowing us to purchase only the necessary resources instead of over purchasing out of caution.

What is most valuable?

The most common features we use are the reports for VM performance and the planning tools. We use the planning tools to right-size hardware purchases when replacing old hardware. It takes the guess work out of switching hardware platforms.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

The automated resize of VMs requires caution. Make sure you properly configure this feature before it is enabled.

It's been a while. About five years.

What do I

User with 201-500 employees
DRS Scheduling/automation and reporting are extremely valuable.

What is most valuable?

DRS Scheduling/automation. Reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

Allowing Turbonomic to take over for vCenter DRS has shown a marked decrease in vMotion of virtual machines to keep our cluster resources balanced.

What needs improvement?

The interface could use some work to improve overall usability.

Three years.

Customer Service: Excellent! Technical Support: Excellent!

Server Systems Administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The ability to utilize simple graphs to cost-justify the addition of new equipment and resources is extremely helpful.

What is most valuable?

The ability to utilize simple graphs to cost-justify the addition of new equipment and resources is extremely helpful, and goes beyond what is provided in other solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

Automatic migration of VMs keeps our workloads balanced at an efficient level.

What needs improvement?

The "consumer and producer" model Turbonomic is based off of can be a bit difficult to understand in the beginning. Continued awareness of the "Green Circle" portal for training and tips will always be useful.

2 years

Deployment and upgrading is simple and reliable.

Customer service always responds…
Server and Virtualization Team Lead at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
It has allowed us to focus less on optimizing VM workloads.

What is most valuable?

The automation piece is one of the most valuable features. It has allowed us to focus less on optimizing VM workloads. Custom dashboard has also been helpful with upper-level management.

How has it helped my organization?

Turbonomics is DRS on steroids. Our clusters have been perfectly balanced.

What needs improvement?

VM level granularity on some of the automation actions such as adding memory/CPU. That would allow an admin to schedule the exact time for the specific action for any given VM.

We have had this solution running since mid 2016.

EVP Financ with 51-200 employees
It continually gives me a solid look at my virtualization environment. It gives me a second set of eyes on our VMs.
Senior Systems Engineer - Virtualization at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It has increased the utilization of our hosts without sacrificing performance.
User at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
This product has allowed us to see how dense we can make our ESXi clusters.

What is most valuable?

Capacity reporting features.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has allowed us to see how dense we can make our ESXi clusters.

What needs improvement?

Reporting on powered down VMs.

Six months.

Customer Service: 10 out of 10. Technical Support: On a scale of one to 10 it's been a 5.

Straightforward. Deploy an OVA.

Vendor team,…
Operation & Project Lead at a maritime company with 201-500 employees
We now have a perfectly balanced load across our clustered hosts.
Senior Systems Engineer (VMware) at a hospitality company with 201-500 employees
Helps us rightsize workloads highlight bottlenecks and effectively plan for capacity.

What is most valuable?

Migration planning, VM rightsIzing reports, performance assurance dashboards, workload placement rules and planning.

How has it helped my organization?

Helps us rightsize workloads, highlight bottlenecks and effectively plan for capacity.

What needs improvement?

Can't wait for the new GUI (which is due soon) as the old interface can be difficult to navigate.

Nope.

Customer Service: Really good, all the account management I've spoken to understand their product and how…
Senior Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It gives us insight and assurance that we are meeting operational targets.

IT Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Automation of leveling out compute power across servers and forecasting.

What is most valuable?

Automation of leveling out compute power across servers and forecasting.

What needs improvement?

I would simplify the navigation, this would be a great read-only tool to give to upper management.

One year.

Not a single hiccup.

It eats memory but a simple reboot fixes that.

Customer Service: Nine out of 10. Technical Support: Nine out of 10.

Only native VMware solutions.

Very simple.

What about the

User at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have been able to recover significant headroom by utilizing Turbonomic's measurements.

• "The most important feature to us is an objective measurement of VM headroom per cluster. In addition, the ability to check for the right-sizing of VMs."
  • "Remove the need for special in-house knowledge and development."
IT Infrastructure Architecture Team Lead at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
We can now precisely model future workload and infrastructure supply to plan for growth.

What is most valuable?

Planning and workload placement.

How has it helped my organization?

Planning infrastructure needs for our virtual environment was previously a tedious task that included a lot of guesswork. With Turbonomic we can now precisely model future workload and infrastructure supply to plan for growth.

What needs improvement?

The UI can be slow and occasionally hangs, requiring logging out and back in. More informative progress status when working with plans would be helpful.

Four months.

None.

Minor issues when removing targets from the application, requiring reboot of the Turbonomic virtual appliance. …
Systems Administrator at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
The ability to load balance automatically my storage and hosts has saved a lot of time.
Sr Server Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
We have used Turbonomic to help correct performance issues with applications in our business.

What is most valuable?

Workload Placement and Capacity Planning.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

A more interactive dashboard with integrated features.

Two years.

No issues with deployment or upgrades.

No stability issues at all.

None.

Customer Service: Customer service is excellent. Technical Support: Excellent.

We used vCOPS.…
Lead - Global Virtualization Team at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
User
We are able to optimize our resources in the infrastructure while gatekeeping the oversized resource requests.

What other advice do I have?

We are happy with Turbonomic. It has a very supportive technical team and a sales team. And let's not forget the training team for their dedication and contribution in educating us.
System Engineer at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Turbonomic helps us manage our virtual infrastructure with a more automated and hands off approach thanks to the way it proactively looks at issues.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely try this if you have a huge virtual infrastructure, it has become a staple in our environment. Be very clear about what your needs are to ensure you receive proper licensing.
Senior Systems Engineer - Virtualization at a hospitality company with 10,001+ employees
The "financial" idea works very well, and has allowed us to reduce our infrastructure footprint significantly without impacting performance.
IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The auto resource leveling on my hyper-v cluster saves my staff so much time on monitoring and performance tuning.

What other advice do I have?

None.
Vmware Administrator at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
With Turbonomic we are using our hardware resources more efficiently.

What is most valuable?

Load Balancing Resource reclamation

How has it helped my organization?

With Turbonomic we are using our hardware resources more efficiently.

What needs improvement?

Turbonomic needs to find how to have the appliance OS up to date. Per our security tool, it has missing patches. A real central management console to manage all the instances from one place.

Three months.

No, if you use the VMturbo appliance, you can have the tool running in a couple of hours.

Customer Service: The…
System Engineer I at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
There are three main areas that we find priceless. The automation, planning/forecasting and reporting.

What other advice do I have?

Any company with a virtual infrastructure should have Turbonomic.
Network Admin at a tech services company
I am able to balance my VMs across all my hosts in my cluster. Also it can help with right-sizing both memory and vCPU.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

It allows for automation thus freeing my time to do other projects.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if it was easier to remove a host from that we would not want to manage (licenses).

Five years.

None.

Customer Service: I haven't had to use it much, but the couple of times I called, it was taken care of right away.…
Systems Administrator and Tech Support Manager at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
We've been able to balance our environment with much more automated ease than was previously possible.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

They could do with a little less UI clutter.

3 years.

None.

Turbonomic is fantastic at scalability! It has great built in tools to plan scaling.

Customer Service: 5/5 stars, Turbonomic representatives are always available and friendly! Technical Support: 5/5 stars, representatives have always been able to rapidly address any technical concern and get…
User with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have a lot more visibility on what is happening on a single pane of glass.

What other advice do I have?

Great tool, easy to recommend.
TeamLead at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
This ensures control of workloads to assure performance and deliver service levels.
Data Center Server Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use Central management of resources & report capabilities

What is most valuable?

Easy to use central management of resources and report capabilities.

How has it helped my organization?

Ongoing process. Overview, scaleability and resource usage.

What needs improvement?

Better hardware utilization and point VM and apps on demand to better working places.

We are in implementation phase.

Customer Service: Eight out of 10. Technical Support: Not necessary so far.

Ongo…
Senior Systems Engineer at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
We automate our vMotions, so it has helped us keep congestion on our hosts way down, and has been more effective than DRS.

Systems Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
We love the custom dashboards. We use them on the TV above our desks and it helps us keep an eye on the environment.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to keep a detailed eye on your environment, and also pass off some of the administration to automation, Turbonomic is a great reliable platform for you.
Sr. Systems Admin Virtualization Services at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
The automation of vStorage migration, ability to create dashboards and the rightsizing recommendations.

What other advice do I have?

None at this time.
Senior Network Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We no longer have to worry about cluster management, even in an environment with multiple hypervisor vendors.

What other advice do I have?

As a MSP, a hidden gem is the planning guide. I use it for sales guys to determine if they need to purchase any new CPU nodes, for quotes they are preparing for potential clients.
Senior Systems and Infrastructure Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The dynamic and autonomous optimization provided by Turbonomic virtual machine placement is impressive.

• "With over 2500 ESX VMs, including 1500+ XenDesktop VDI desktops, hosted over two datacentres and 80+ vSphere hosts, firefighting has become something of the past."
  • "Since the introduction of a HTML 5 based interface, our main - but minor - criticism of a less than intuitive operation managers' GUI would be the area of improvement."
Senior Systems Engineer
We are able to right-size VMs and host resources to save money and provide services to the business.
Senior Consultant at a non-profit with 11-50 employees
For our organization, the key feature/benefit is allowing us to better utilize available resources.
Senior Systems Engineer at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The dashboards are fantastic, the Improve Overall Efficiency view is great in getting resources in check when the build out was over estimated.
Sr. Infrastructure Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have made use of the planning tool to project when in our migration and modernization project we would need to procure new hardware.

• "We have VM placement in Automated mode and currently have all other metrics in Recommend mode."
  • "I like the detail I get in the old user interface and will miss some of that in the new interface when we perform our planned upgrade soon."

What other advice do I have?

Take advantage of the deployment team to learn the best way to use it to your advantage in your environment.
Computer Systems Admin with 11-50 employees
The most valuable features are automation and the single console to manage my virtual environment.

What other advice do I have?

I have used tons of software that has had a huge learning curve. Turbonomic is easy to use, but has the ability to provide much more complex data and planning for projects and growth.
Sr. IT Consultant - Infrastructure Management at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Enhanced Server Infrastructure Performance - Smart Tool with ease of implementation

What other advice do I have?

Looking forward to new features and planning to utilize rightsizing of our environment.
User at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Automation balancing work loads, and correct sizing.

What is most valuable?

Automation balancing work loads, and correct sizing

How has it helped my organization?

Helps us get the most out of the hardware we have in place.

What needs improvement?

Better QA for updates/timeline.

Two-plus years.

Deployment is an easy OVA deployment.

Login issues/Tomcat Java issues were common with older version.

Customer Service: Support is very responsive. Technical Support: Technical support is very knowledgeable and helpful.

User at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
i find the reporting and planning most valuable.

What is most valuable?

Reporting and planning.

How has it helped my organization?

Capacity planning.

What needs improvement?

More reporting flexibility

2 years

Customer Service: Excellent Technical Support: Great

Complex to get reports we wanted.

Good

Complicated

Which other

Director, Information Technology at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have been able to use the planning feature to consolidate VM's on few hosts and have been able to show savings of several hundred thousands.

What other advice do I have?

We are very pleased with how Turbonomic is working out in our environment.
Systems Admin at a energy/utilities company
The features most valuable are seeing over allocations and being able to automatically make changes.

What other advice do I have?

This is not a set it and forget product. You will have to look at what is going on and have a plan.
Capacity Planner ✪ Technology and Operations at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Turbonomic has a user friendly outlook making it easy for consumers to navigate within the web UI.
Interesting aspects of Turbonomic: Turbonomic is helpful in generating a variety of reports. In most cases these reports act as the baseline for maintenance activities that we carry out within our virtual environment. Turbonomic has a user friendly outlook making it easy for consumers to navigate within the web UI. I use the 'Plan' tab within Turbonomic to perform capacity planning and trending analysis thereby predicting growth/decline within the virtual infrastructure. Scheduling reports and creating dashboards (for subsets of the environment) are a few among many features within Turbonomic. Areas for improvement: 'Supply Chain' tab within Turbonomic could be presented differently in an  effort to make it more useful for the customers. 'Group Management' allows you to…
Manager IT Infrastructure Computing at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides automation of cluster resource management.

What is most valuable?

Provides automation of cluster resource management.

How has it helped my organization?

This has saved us a great deal of expenses by better balancing workloads across ESXi hosts. This allowed for higher VM densities.

What needs improvement?

Reports: Have a wider variety of canned reports ready to go.

We have been using this for three years.

We had a couple of minor version bugs, but support was excellent and quick to address these.

There were no issues with stability.

There were no issues with scalability.

How is customer service and

IT Tech Lead at a retailer with 5,001-10,000 employees
We use it for capacity planning and placement recommendations.

What other advice do I have?

Do a 30-day demo and actually use the product. You will quickly see how good or bad of a VMware admin you are. If you use 3PAR, EMC, NetApp, and/or UCS, this will be invaluable to you, especially if you have junior staff. It is a great way to give them visibility into those environments without granting them access.
Virtualization Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Our clusters are more balanced now than relying on DRS to manage workloads.
Technical Solutions Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We can scale a production (or proposed) use case based on normalized real data, and know exactly the horsepower it will need.
Sr. Systems Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Keeps clusters aligned, compute wise. We also use the planning and forecasting tools to determine needs.

What other advice do I have?

The Turbonomics team is always looking for ways to improve their product. They are also willing to engage the customer success team to help us find new ways or easier ways to get more from the product. This is refreshing in a world where, after purchase, you are usually on your own after installing, other than support. That is not the case with this team.
Data Center Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Automation of keeping resources balanced among the cluster.

What is most valuable?

Load balancing VMs across our cluster.

How has it helped my organization?

Automation of keeping resources balanced among the cluster.

What needs improvement?

NA.

Six years.

Occasionally the server does not load balance properly and needs to be restarted.

Customer Service: 10. Technical Support: 10.

In-house.

NA

What's my

Ops Sys Programmer II at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
The reporting and planning features are used a lot and contribute to our ROI.
Systems Administrator at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
We have fully automated resource scheduling with our VMware clusters.

What other advice do I have?

We really love Turbo and the time it saves us.
VDI Operations Team Lead at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
This toolkit has some hooks that allows us to up size VM's on the fly based on the user's current utilization.

What is most valuable?

The automation, of course.

How has it helped my organization?

This toolkit has some hooks that allows us to upsize VMs on the fly based on the user's current utilization.

What needs improvement?

Decrease the cost.

Three years.

Needed to upsize the DB shortly after deployment. Also, configuring for a highly secure environment required a lot of file tweaks in the Linux subsystem.

Customer Service: Excellent. They've always been quick to support any issues/queries we have. Technical…
Senior Cloud Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Turbonomic balances on more metrics than vROps and has helped us utilizing our hosts in a better way. We are also using the API heavily for querying performance data.
NETWRK ANALYST IV with 10,001+ employees
Has enabled me to buy more servers only when I really need to buy them

What is most valuable?

The automation of balancing VMware cluster workloads. This feature insures that my VMware clusters are always running in an optimal state. The streamlined automation is what sold me on this product.

How has it helped my organization?

I like the reporting system along with the ability to export reports to PDF format.

What needs improvement?

HTML 5.

Six years.

None.

I did have a few issues but support quickly resolved the issue.

None.

Customer Service: Top-rated. Technical Support: Top-rated.…
Infrastructure Engineer at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Turbonomics resolves the issue with continuous workload placement and sizing recommendations/actions.

What other advice do I have?

This has been a set-it-and-forget-it solution that does a great job but is behind the scenes.
Virtualization Specialist at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
The VM rightsizing tools and the intelligent placing of workloads help us to not only streamline what we have but, in conjunction with the sizing tools, to look at future scenarios

• "It became obvious to us that there was a lot more being offered in the product that we could leverage to ensure our VMware environment was running efficiently."
  • "The old interface was not the clearest UI in some areas, and could be quite intimidating when first using the tool."

What other advice do I have?

The ability to connect to many different environments along with the integration with partner systems make this an essential tool in our IS VM management strategy.
LAN/WAN Administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We allow it to do all our VMotion migrations, ensuring our systems are running at their peak performance.

What is most valuable?

The planning is great to see how much capacity I have in my VMware infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

I would like it to auto-update itself rather than me having to check upgrade then apply on a monthly basis.

We have used the solution about five years now.

No, installation was straightforward.

No, we've had no issues todate.

We've continued to expand our VMware environment and the application has…
Sr. Network Engineer with 5,001-10,000 employees
The optimization has allowed us to focus our efforts on other areas of our virtual environment.

What is most valuable?

The dashboards are amazing. They give me the ability to show our line of business how their application servers are performing. We also like the automation tool for managing our clusters so they are fully optimized.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

To be able to drill down into RDMs and get all of the information about each RDM attached to a server.

Four years.

We have never had any issues with deployment or upgrades.

What do I think about the scalability of the

Expedia Virtualization and Cloud at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Turbonomic has allowed us to achieve greater density with optimal performance to our hosted consumers.
Data Center Manager at a sports company with 501-1,000 employees
We spend much less time figuring how to distribute VMs and how much horsepower to give each one.

What is most valuable?

Automatic resource use optimization

How has it helped my organization?

We spend much less time trying to figure out how best to distribute VMs, and how much horsepower to give each one.

What needs improvement?

Better alerting and reporting.

Two years.

Customer Service: Very good. Technical Support: Very good.

No, unless you count VMware's built in DRS functionality.

It was…
Infrastructure Architect/ Sr. Manager of IT Operations at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Within a week of running Turbonomic we were able to see clearly which guest systems needed to be resized and especially moved to other nodes within our clusters to obtain the optimal performance.

What other advice do I have?

Great product, can't wait to set to auto drive and let it do its magic.
Network Specialist II at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have the ability to monitor and automate both the right-sizing of VMs as well as the ability to automate the VMotion of VMs across ESXi hosts

• "The ability to monitor and automate both the right-sizing of VMs as well as to automate the vMotion of VMs across ESXi hosts."
  • "While the product is fairly intuitive and easy to use once you learn it, it can be quite daunting until you have undergone a bit of training."
Systems Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
We can reclaim license costs and forecast future resource needs.
Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
The technical support is excellent, they stay engaged until there is a solution in place.

What is most valuable?

Automating VM moves.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously we had no automated VM moves, which meant some of our VM hosts would be overloaded and others would be under utilized.

What needs improvement?

Finding help can be difficult if needed. Most times we will just call Turbonomic rather than search through the user guides and forums for help on an issue. Better alerting features would be helpful as well.

Two years.

No issues with deployment. With upgrades, we have always had assistance from Turbonomic to make sure everything is smooth.

Network Engineer II at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has freed up space on our VMware hosts to allow optimized utilization of our resources.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for a solution to give you a deeper dive into how your VM environment is being utilized and to provide some optimization; then you can't go wrong with Turbonomic!
Team Leader, Sr. Virtualization Lead with 1,001-5,000 employees
This software has helped me ease my morning burden of adding/removing CPU and storage vMotions.

What is most valuable?

Reporting is a great feature. Also how it can automate easy tasks so you are not burdened with them.

How has it helped my organization?

Gives me more time to spend on real issues.

What needs improvement?

The GUI could be more user friendly, and more CMD applets should be created or shared with the community.

Two years.

Customer Service: Great. Always very helpful, above and beyond most companies. Technical Support: Always very knowledgeable the few times I had to call. …
Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
VM Right-Sizing, Project Cluster Resource, and Load balancing allow us to use our resources properly.

What other advice do I have?

Turbonomics is doing great in enhancing their product.
User at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
After configuring the automation it has kept the VMware clusters balanced.

What is most valuable?

After configuring the automation it has kept the VMware clusters balanced.

How has it helped my organization?

Performance of all hosts have improved.

What needs improvement?

The GUI is not always user friendly and some settings are not where you would expect.

Approximately three years.

I had full support from the Turbonomics group. They assisted with the install and configuration. Great company to work with.

It's been a very stable product.

It easily handles the environment.

Customer…
Director of Technology Operations & Digital Security at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides automation of balancing workloads on ESXi hosts.
Senior Network Engineer at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
I let the product move machines to new hosts and change datastores as needed for best overall performance.

What other advice do I have?

Keep up the great work and keep the new features coming. We are excited to see what happens in the next 12 months with advancements.
Windows Systems Administrator at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
We use it to keep our virtual landscape balanced and bottleneck free.

What other advice do I have?

If you need a product that can automate workload balancing, capacity planning, reporting of resource use - Turbonomic is a fantastic choice.
Network Engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It forced us to organize and standardize our storage environment - making smaller, generic datastores.

What other advice do I have?

I like to say "Set it and forget it". It has never made a bad decision. It obeys all rules you have in place in VMware. The reporting is fantastic and the forecasting has made the budgeting nightmare much easier in this area. Like the rest of us, you will be hesitant to turn on "automagic" provisioning but you will be wondering why it took you so long to do so shortly after!
Practice Manager - Cloud, Automation & DevOps at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
You can deploy the OVA/QCOW2 file to multiple hypervisor platforms or use a RHEL distribution.

What other advice do I have?

Try it out for free and see how quickly it can optimize your environment.
Senior Systems Administrator at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Helped us right size a number of VMs and helped reduce CPU ready time.

What is most valuable?

Reporting, Dashboards & DRS.

How has it helped my organization?

Helped us right size a number of VMs and helped reduce CPU ready time.

What needs improvement?

Maybe a cleaner backend. HTML5?

Over 1 year.

No issues. Simple to deploy. The team helped set up the appliance and were quick to help with any custom requests.

No issues yet.

Customer Service: Very good. Very quick response times. Technical Support: Very good. Knowledgeable staff.

Which solution did I use previously and why did

IT Team Leader EMEA at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Improvements for performance or growth can be executed without human interference.

What other advice do I have?

Great added value to our business.
Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
We use it over the built-in VMware tools for distributing VMs to hosts.

What is most valuable?

Resource balancing

How has it helped my organization?

Use it over the built-in VMware tools for distributing VMs to hosts.

What needs improvement?

The way dashboards are accessed with a pop-up can sometimes get in the way.

6+ years

No implementation was easy.

No issues.

No issues scaling we add a new host every 1-2 years.

Very good.

The built-in VMWare tools.

Straightforward.

What about the

Virtual Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Balances my VMware clusters across all my hosts.

What other advice do I have?

My experience with Turbonomic has been exceptional, they've offered me a $25 gift card to write a review of their company but I'd gladly write them a review for free. They really are a great company to work with and they have a great product.
Senior System Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees

How has it helped my organization?

We first pursued the product some years back for it's capacity planning tools but we find the continuous analysis the most useful. We can spin up new servers without a full understanding of workload values and then keep tabs on it and make adjustments as needed.

What needs improvement?

We found that if we didn't keep up with some incremental version updates, the required jump to the next version required a complete re-deploy from an image. That's avoidable by keeping up with the incremental updates.

4 years

It's been very reliable.

Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Helps us in predicting when a new host will be needed soon.

What other advice do I have?

We have really loved having VMTurbo. It keeps out workloads spread evenly across multiple hosts and has good analytics.
Systems Engineer at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
I like that I can monitor all my environments resources from one central console.

What is most valuable?

- The fact that I can monitor all my environments resources from one central console. - I can provide a report on each individual machine if requested. - I can trust Turbonomics to streamline my environment by allowing it to perform certain actions.

How has it helped my organization?

It is like we hired a junior system admin that works 24 hours a day to keep our environment in top form.

What needs improvement?

The Graph and Report outputs could be improved.

We have been using Turbonomics (VMTurbo) for about 1.5 years now.

How

IT Infrastructure Manager at a logistics company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Creating custom dashboards is easy and gives quick visibility into a specific groups of systems or metrics.
Manager at a maritime company with 51-200 employees
We add and remove resources based off our optimization report.

What other advice do I have?

Turbonomics is a GREAT Product - Worth every $$..
Network Systems Analyst at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
With running as thin as we do, this product has simplified the decision making process for maintaining and managing the environment.
Director at a university
The automation feature of Operations Manager monitors performance and migrates VMs between hosts as needed.
Chief Financial Officer at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
The ability to group VMs together to provide service or department picture of their infrastructure is great.
IT Infrastructure Manager at a wellness & fitness company with 501-1,000 employees
The software was able to provide us with recommendations on correctly sizing the platform.
Infrastructure team leader - senior infrastructure analyst, storage and virtualisation at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
The tool allows us to reduce the operational time spent managing our vSphere estate

What other advice do I have?

None.
Senior Systems Administrator at a engineering company with 501-1,000 employees
Capacity planning reports are helpful when requesting additional hardware. The dashboard is too basic, could use more details.

What other advice do I have?

This is a great product, once it's set up, you hardly need to login to the interface.
IT Manager & Cisco CCNA Teacher at a non-tech company with 51-200 employees
Storage Analysis and Automated Datastore migration are two valuable features.

What is most valuable?

Storage Analysis and Automated Datastore migration.

How has it helped my organization?

Allowed us to concentrate less on the day to day optimization and more on the big picture of utilization.

What needs improvement?

Interface needs to loose Flash completely and switch to HTML5.

1.5 years

No, the product ran just fine, though on a couple of occasions performing a version upgrade did not complete and required several attempts.

No, we scaled our ESXi hosts and VMTurbo scaled accordingly.

Customer Service: Excellent! Both pre-service and post-service…
Infrastructure Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
One of the most valuable features for us was the automation aspect.
Storage & Virtualization Engineer at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
I tend to use the "To Do List" in order to keep my systems efficient.

What other advice do I have?

We purchased this product because it was the best that we evaluated. I'm very happy with our choice.
IT Manager at a marketing services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We used the free version at first. Install was simple.

Valuable Features

Removes the need to monitor our virtual environment and I receive daily reports on actions taken for that given day.

Improvements to My Organization

We see increased speed in our environment as VM's are moved based on needs and requirements.

Room for Improvement

Could be more user friendly, but the provided training provided the needed clarity. The product comes with a ton of features and options, which without training seemed overwhelming.

Use of Solution

6 months.

Customer Service: Very good. Technical Support: Very good.

Install is very simple - used the free version at first.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Systems Administrator at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
I'm able to test a complete disaster recovery procedure, or plan a new VM or host implementation.
Senior Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helps mitigate risks in vSphere environment and boost efficiency
Manager - IT Infrastructure at a non-tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Best features for my needs are the autonomic scheduling, capacity planning, and right sizing capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

Turbonomic helps me maintain a lean operations team. What used to take half my day now is automated. ROI on this is a no-brainer.
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Better vMotions decisions than DRS. I'm waiting for the HTML5 GUI since flash has refresh issues.

Valuable Features

Better vMotions decisions than DRS.

Improvements to My Organization

Showed us how to merge clusters to increase density.

Room for Improvement

Waiting for the HTML5 GUI since flash has refresh issues.

Use of Solution

2 years.

Customer Service: Perfect. Attention to details on every open ticket. Technical Support: Top notch effort put into each support request.

Painless.

Other Advice

Better algo (looks at more metrics) than VMware's DRS.
Technical Consultant at a recruiting/HR firm with 10,001+ employees
With this setup we were able to get specific reporting and it allows us to acquire the necessary hardware in time to meet the demand.
Systems Engineer at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
It helped manage all the things that we needed to do to increase responsiveness.

Valuable Features

We were not able to pay for a version higher than vCenter Standard licenses for our virtual environment. Turbonomic stepped in and helped manage all the things that we needed to do to increase responsiveness and lower costs.

Improvements to My Organization

I no longer have to pour over the VM's and hosts statistics to figure out if my environment is running at it best.

Room for Improvement

It does take a while to figure out their way of doing things. From forecasting and a lingo perspective.

Use of Solution

Over one year.

Customer Service: When we purchased the product they were super helpful to make sure we had all of the communication that was necessary to make sure this product was installed successfully.…
Infrastructure Administrator at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
It has helped us justify hardware and software purchases.
Site Reliability Engineer at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Valuable features include the reporting and management functions of if the solution.
Network Administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I use it for planning additional workloads and purchases.

What is most valuable?

- Balancing workloads across my environment. - Planning for additional workloads and purchases.

How has it helped my organization?

Turbonomic has made more time available for me to pursue other projects.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the interface move to HTML5, but I am told that is in the works.

2 years.

None at all, it was very easy.

None.

Customer Service: Probably the best customer service I have ever encountered. Technical Support: Excellent.

Which solution

Senior Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Has allowed us to hold off on turning up additional hypervisors by allowing us to better use existing hardware.

What is most valuable?

Automated resource management. Notifications on resource congestion.

How has it helped my organization?

Turbonomic has allowed us to hold off on turning up additional hypervisors by allowing us to better use existing hardware.

What needs improvement?

Training was a bit disjointed at first, but the second session was improved.

Turbonomic has been active for six months.

Yes, due to some versioning issues in our hosting environment, but support quickly tracked down the cause and supplied a fix.

We have not experienced any stability issues since install.

How are customer service and technical

Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Automation and planning capabilities have become a valuable asset for us.

LAN/WAN Administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The capacity dashboard allows us to plan our upcoming projects to ensure we have enough resources to support the project.

What other advice do I have?

We will continue to use the product because it works and is easy to monitor and train others in my team to use.
Infrastructure Manager at CGI
Better than DRS to load balance VMs across hosts.

What other advice do I have?

Easier integration with Hyper-V hosts/clusters would be nice. Not sure if newer versions have been able to improve this.
IT Manager at a legal firm with 51-200 employees
The ability to view where we can benefit from additional purchases of equipment has been helpful.

What is most valuable?

The top level view of my overall infrastructure's health has been a great tool. Also the ability to view where we can benefit from additional purchases of equipment and such has been a big help.

How has it helped my organization?

Overall, Turbonomic has helped us be more efficient with the equipment we have.

What needs improvement?

I am not a giant fan of the new interface. I still use the older interface.

None at all.

Customer Service: 10/10 Technical Support: 10/10

Which solution did I use previously and why did I

Server Infrastructure and Operations at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Once it is set up and running, it works behind the scenes to run the VMs as efficiently as possible based on the available resources.
Deputy Director, IT at a performing arts with 1,001-5,000 employees
Action mode policy allows us to manage our environments on a more proactive front.

What other advice do I have?

The product has worked great. It has become a set and forget tool for us which is a good thing.
Sr. Engineer at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Getting the numerous VMs properly sized has saved a fair bit in hardware and licensing costs

What other advice do I have?

VMTurbo is unique in its approach to resource usage tracking and recommendations based on it. There is no other tool I have found that can do what it does the way it does it. Highly recommended.
IT Manager at ChyronHego Corp
Allows me to keep track of resource use across multiple sites.

What other advice do I have?

My review is unbiased and true to my use, however I was promised compensation for my review.
Director - Information Technology at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
We used Turbonomic's metrics in order to fine tune our environment further.
IT Systems Engineer at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
Automatic Equilibrium using real-world metrics and dynamically balancing workloads while adding new applications into the environment.
Sr. Virtualization Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
After about a month of following the recommendations, we found we trusted Turbonomic enough to start automating the resizing and moves.
We have found the forecasting of the environment and optimization the most beneficial.

Valuable Features:

Today we have found the forecasting of the environment and optimization the most beneficial.

Improvements to My Organization:

The automation of VMotion allows us to avoid over utilized memory and CPU on our Hosts.  Turbonomic also addresses the issue of I/O on our network something that has been a concern at times in the past.

Room for Improvement:

The graphical interface could be better.

Use of Solution:

We began looking at this solution about a year ago and after Proof of Concept finally implemented a few months back.

Stability Issues:

System Architect at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
It has automated move and workload placement.

What other advice do I have?

Turbonomic was positioned perfectly to take advantage of a lack of metrics and tooling that was available for VMware at the time. Their tools were superior to even those provided by VMware. The market has since caught up, and there are many more competitors in this space. Turbonomic will need to continue to innovate and compound upon what makes them unique to stand out.
Associate Director - Technology Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It allowed us to plan and scale our capacity based on our sales pipeline. The UI, existing plan modification and the reports layout could be improved.

Valuable Features

Capacity Planning

Improvements to My Organization

It allowed us to plan and scale our capacity based on our sales pipeline.

Room for Improvement

The UI, existing plan modification and the reports layout.

Yes, after every major update a new bug would cause an issue requiring another update.

Customer Service: 4/5 Technical Support: 3/5
Systems/Network Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have primarily used the automation features of the product to right size the VMs and migrate the VMs to best use the resources we have available.

What other advice do I have?

Having longer historical trending on resources has given us insight to our growth potential over the next few years. This allows us to better budget our needs.
Senior Network Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy VM deployment - set an IP, set a password, give login credentials to clusters.

How has it helped my organization?

Trending on capacity and overall workload for multiple clusters and hypervisors.

What needs improvement?

UI can be clunky at times, they have a new UI just not fully released.

4 years

Keep your branding file handy. After updates you will need to rebrand the interface.

vRealize, Nagios, SCVMM.

Easy VM deployment - set an…
IT Security Engineer at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Being able to easily drill-down to find root issues is valuable.

What other advice do I have?

Shopping around is important and depending on what gaps you're trying to fill one product may be better than the other.
AVP, Senior Server Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Resource Load Balancing, Right-sizing recommendations and Capacity Planning are important features.

What is most valuable?

Resource Load Balancing Right-sizing recommendations Capacity Planning

How has it helped my organization?

We no longer have to constantly manually manage host utilization to keep some hosts from running much 'hotter' than others.

What needs improvement?

UI is still maturing. The UI is relatively easy to use but still does not have that professional look to it.

3 years

Not thus far.

Customer Service: On a scale of 1-10, 9.5. Technical Support: On a scale of 1-10, 9.

Which solution

Senior Systems Engineer at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

The right sizing and resource balancing.

How has it helped my organization?

When spinning up new servers we use vendor best practices and hardware sizing documents.  Turbonomic lets us see real usage and resource requirements.

What needs improvement?

I would still like to see more canned reports for historical data.

About 3 years.

Deployment is easy.

Turbonomic is stable the only piece is the discovery could still be better.

Customer service has always been great with Turbonomic.

IT Operations Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
The reporting and capacity planning features are the most valuable for me.
Network Administrator at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The customizable dashboard lets us get quick insight into our environment.

What other advice do I have?

This is an overall great and easy to use product and has been very helpful in our organization, definitely recommend it!
Server Admin at Cobb EMC
Works/performs as advertised. It automatically removes a large workload in the day to day care of my virtual environment.

What other advice do I have?

The Turbonomic solution works/performs as advertised. It automatically removes a large workload in the day to day care of my virtual environment.
Senior Systems Engineer at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It keeps resources loads balanced with in my ESX clusters.
Network/Systems Administrator at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
DRS is the closest "solution" we previously used, we switched because we needed a solution for real automation, forecasting, and reporting.
VDI Operations Team Lead at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
We utilize it to increase our VM density on our VDI clusters.

What is most valuable?

We utilize the Turbonomics product to increase our VM density on our VDI clusters.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has extended the life of our HW and allowed us to get more utilization out of the existing HW before needing to add hosts to the cluster.

What needs improvement?

Would like some better canned reports allowing for average utilization of VMs in the environment during a defined range of hours.

2 years.

Some minor issues once in a while with versions - remediated quickly with an update.

How are customer

Systems/Network Administrator III at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
Valuable features include Impact Summary and VM Maintenance Automation.

What is most valuable?

- Cluster Projections, Capacity and Planning - Impact Summary - VM Maintenance Automation

How has it helped my organization?

Getting a better understanding on host utilization, providing better planning on infrastructure upgrades.

What needs improvement?

vCenter integration. Would love to have the ability to manager the infrastructure within one window.

3-4 years

None.

Customer Service: On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest -> 10 Technical Support: On a scale of 1-10, 10…
Information Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Provides Auto Load balancing via the homegrown engine that it uses.

What is most valuable?

Auto Load balancing via the homegrown engine that Turbonomic uses.

How has it helped my organization?

Limits the amount of time I have to spend staring at a screen to find bottlenecks and slowdowns in my virtual environment. The ability at one glance to see what machines are over provisioned or under provisioned and the ability to adjust that with just a click.

What needs improvement?

User interface could use a bit of tweaking.

None whatsoever.

Customer Service: Exceptional, customer service and support is amazing! Technical…
Systems Architect at a sports company with 51-200 employees
I like that it allows me to easily pull up PDF report.
Technical Specialist at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Provides a level of automation beyond VMware's DRS.

What other advice do I have?

Load the demo and see the recommendations. You'll be blown away by how over-provisioned your virtual machines are.
Director of IT at a non-tech company
Simple deployment - point it to vCenter and give it credentials.

What other advice do I have?

If you don't at least try it, you'll never know how much better things could be.
Technical Specialist at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
The sizing tool is one of the most valuable features.
AVP Intel Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Being able to link multiple clusters together to for a super cluster allow us to balance out our load as needed.
Virtualization Administrator at University of Maine System
Provides automation in the form of virtual machine migrations in VMware vCenter.

Valuable Features

Automation in the form of virtual machine migrations in VMware vCenter.

Improvements to My Organization

Automation, policies, and reports have made a lot of previously manual work now either more efficient or completely automated.

Room for Improvement

I would like to see the new HTML5 web interface released soon. In using the preview, it looks very promising.

Use of Solution

Three years.

No issues.

We did have an issue certain build causing the database to fill up however technical support was very helpful in getting updated to a newer version to correct this issue.

No issues.

Customer Service: Excellent. All my interactions have been timely and…
Systems Engineer at Nex-Tech
For us, the monitoring features, as well as the right-sizing recommendations and reports have been the most valuable.
Network Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
We chose it when vCOPS​ did not have auto load balance option.

What is most valuable?

Capacity planning

How has it helped my organization?

Auto load balance recommendations, always keeps our VMware cluster optimized.

What needs improvement?

GUI interface is not as slick as VMware.

Two years.

Very easy deployment, very light virtual appliance.

Customer Service: Excellent. Technical Support: Excellent.

vCOPS, at the time vCOPS did not have auto load balance.

Stra…
Cloud Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Shows me different ways to move my environment to a healthy state.
System Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
We regularly use reports to show us IOPS stats, over/under utilized VMs, and wasted space on our datastores.

What other advice do I have?

I never regretted going with Turbonomic over vCops and would easily do it again.
Systems Administrator at CityServiceValcon
It provides automation options for moving and resizing VMs.

Valuable Features

Automation options for moving and resizing VMs as necessary have been crucial for our environment's performance.

Improvements to My Organization

Automating move and resize tasks have allowed our team to spend less time micro-managing VMs and more time completing projects.

Room for Improvement

Alert emails could be more comprehensive. The name kind of drives me crazy...It's difficult to say "Turbonomic" in conversation and have someone take you seriously.

Use of Solution

I have used it for almost a year.

I encountered minimal deployment issues; we were lacking proper licensing for our environment's hardware.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any…
IT Infrastructure Manager at a recruiting/HR firm
It provides us with intelligently-controlled VMs with consistent performance, including identification of over-provisioned VMs so that we can take back resources.

What other advice do I have?

Give the demo version a go, you might be surprised by the results!
Sr. Systems Engineer at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
Forecasting allows you to forecast and simulate new environments. I can add new hardware, test and predict how our investment will impact our performance.

What other advice do I have?

Understand the product and what it does, it falls into a little bit of a luxury tool, know how they approach the problem and you have to know your platform. This is not the kind of thing you buy off the shelf.
Technology Architecture Manager at Mary Washington Healthcare
It does things way beyond DRS and Storage DRS. Our past monitoring solutions just overwhelmed us with data.

What other advice do I have?

Just load the demo. It's completely non-invasive and you will probably be blown away by how much over-provisioning you have been doing.
System Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
After implementation and turning on the VMTurbo DRS in automated mode we recognized better and balanced performance.

What other advice do I have?

Another aspect of being a VMTurbo customer is being a member of the Green Circle Community, an online community for innovators, virtualization experts and forward thinking IT professionals who engage with one another and share their experiences. I’ve been involved since the beginning of the Green Circle,and it’s been such a great platform to engage with and help others. The community is so diverse, and you know that what you read is true.
Windows Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It gives us a quick look into what the environment is doing, down to the individual application.

What other advice do I have?

Whether you have a single, specific virtualization technology or a multi-platform environment, you need this software if you want to see end to end in your environment.
Senior Cloud Services Architect with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Automation allows us to right size our infrastructure. Reports are useful for troubleshooting and business review.

What other advice do I have?

Right out of the box the hypervisor support is strong. VMWare shops probably get the most bang for your buck. UCS may be of use as well - additionally NetApp. Companies that have a single domain would find it easier to roll out the application management module due to only requiring the single set of credentials for deployment. Whereas in a multi-tenant environment, the provider requires visibility into each tenant’s domain which requires additional planning and may require a security design change.
Independant IT Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
We analyse on a daily basis recommendations that VMTurbo provides, ensuring our environment runs at optimal performance.

What other advice do I have?

There are a few parts that I would rate higher than 8, specifically the Planning module, and one that needs more work being the Reporting module. When implementing, we would highly recommend working with the VMTurbo team to undertake some training to get the most out of the product. The documentation is not as good as it could be, so training would be invaluable.
Network & Communications Architect at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
In addition to the core feature set, the planning tool has been invaluable to us.

What other advice do I have?

Do the 30 day demo, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Manager, Data Center Operations at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
MSP
​Provides a level of automation beyond VMware provided DRS. Easy virtual appliance based implementation.

What is most valuable?

Most valuable features were Capacity management and hardware planning.

How has it helped my organization?

Provides a level of automation beyond VMware provided DRS.

What needs improvement?

Reporting is improving. GUI is ugly.

About a year.

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Customer Service: Great customer service. Technical Support: Technical support was great.

Assistant Manager, Systems Admin. with 51-200 employees
With automation, machines are moved to the most efficient host based on data that VMTurbo gathers, WAY more efficient.

What other advice do I have?

Just do it, it takes very little time and effort to install, and once it is the data comes in relatively fast. That data will show you immediate issues that you can address. Then set up automation to move your machines to the most appropriate hosts. After that, start digging into the planning power that this thing has, and is getting better at. I think people will be shocked at how easy this is to get going and how much information you can get from it. Spend some time really learing the workload screen as well, it is worth the time.
Sr. System Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Helped to “right size” productions server environment. We now can do more with less.

What is most valuable?

Smart Analytics to determine environment efficiency.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Dashboard view could be improved.

3 years.

No issues with deployment.

Had 1 issue during a service pack that required me to redeploy and lose all previous history.

No issues with scalability.

Customer Service: On a scale of 1-10 I would say 8. Technical Support: On a scale of 1-10 I would say 8.…