Ubiquiti UniFi Overview

Ubiquiti UniFi is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Wi-Fi Hotspot Software. It is most often compared to Purple WiFi: Ubiquiti UniFi vs Purple WiFi

What is Ubiquiti UniFi?
Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AP, Featuring a clean industrial design, can be integrated seamlessly into any wall or ceiling surface (mounting kits included). The LED indicator simplifies deployment and configuration. With its software-based capabilities, the UniFi virtual control plane allows for unlimited scalability under one centralized controller. The UniFi Controller software is bundled with the UniFi AP hardware at no extra charge - no separate software, licensing or support fee.

Ubiquiti UniFi is also known as UniFi.

Ubiquiti UniFi Buyer's Guide

Download the Ubiquiti UniFi Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Ubiquiti UniFi Customers
NASCAR Grand-AM, Maritime Parc, Outdoor Music Festival, One Republic Tour, British Armed Forces, Arcadia School District, Bartlett School District, Universidad del Azuay, Estelar Hotels, Intercontinental Bali, Moscow - Enforta, Miami - Sling Broadband, Manhattan - MST, Ecuador - Aire.EC

JM
Manager ITeS at a non-tech company with 11-50 employees
Good centralized management and easy to set up, but technical support needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

Ubiquiti UniFi is used for deploying Wi-Fi connectivity for staff and students. All of the services have MAC bindings and are whitelisted, and once they leave they can no longer use it.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is how it is centralized."
  • "Setting up IP generation for something like guest access is pretty confusing and should be improved."

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend for small companies and organizations. A single controller can handle a maximum of 255 users on a single subnet. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Phillip Peerman
Supervisor of IT Infrastructure & Cybersecurity at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Ubiquiti's support model is community driven and it enables us to manage multiple networks from the same cloud logon

What is our primary use case?

Ubiquiti UniFi is the most cost-effective network (wired and wireless) solution on the market. I think the reason they are so cost effective is that their support model is community driven. If your needs are rather basic and you are willing to dig in and learn the solution, it will pay dividends for years to come. The advanced feature sets are lacking, but for small businesses, Ubiquiti UniFi checks most of the boxes for features required. Ubiquiti UniFi offers a lot of enhancements through software (which is free) as time goes on making the hardware a better value all the time. No support… more »

What other advice do I have?

Purchase one of each device (switch, AP, USG) and try them out in a lab environment with a PC based controller. They are so cost effective you will find them impressive. Ubiquiti was founded by a former Apple employee, Robert Pera, who was a wifi engineer at Apple.
Learn what your peers think about Ubiquiti UniFi. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BrianCook
Senior Technology Specialist - VP at Unified Technology Solutions
Reseller
The cloud management has revolutionized the way we provide services to clients

What is our primary use case?

Provide WiFi and Networking to School and Business Campuses that are Clients of our MSP, because we manage the networks too we can't just install some equipment and walk away, we need to be able to quickly make changes. The UniFi line gives us that ability through the Cloud Management feature. We host our own cloud management server so we are not tied to the manufacture's whims, schedules, and changes. The software easily resides on other cloud-based servers we already had so the additional monthly cost is minimal.

• "The cloud management has revolutionized the way we provide services to clients, onsite trips have almost ceased and once complicated changes are made in minutes."
  • "Documentation could be improved, especially regarding known issues or new features. It relies heavily on the user community to provide support and info. There is a vast user group with support groups on both the dedicated forums as well as most social media platforms."

What other advice do I have?

Try it, you will be pleasantly surprised at all it does for such a low price.
FS
Consultant at SharKom Srl
Leaderboard
Straightforward with good central management and good stability

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily meant for internal office use. The solution has only one SSID, and there aren't normally restrictions on bandwidth, etc.

• "Overall, the suite of tools is quite useful."
  • "If I could manage the W-LAN or other items without a UniFi switch, that would be very helpful. I have not tried, but I think some options are tied to the hardware, like the Ubiquiti switch."

What other advice do I have?

I always update the solution to the latest version, so I think that 99% of our customers have the latest instance. While the solution is on-premises, sometimes it has a remote login from the Ubiquiti Cloud. We're not on the cloud, we just use the login. I'd advise others considering using the solution to use a virtual machine. It's cheaper and simpler than using Ubiquiti Key. I don't know, with the integration of the cameras, if that's possible in all cases, however. In those cases, companies may have to use Ubiquiti Key. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
DK
Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Leaderboard
Provides great cloud key functionality in monitoring the environment

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the solution is for our own office use. In addition, we've deployed it in a retirement village where we use it for tracking nurses as well as providing internet access for residents and staff. We deal with small to medium size enterprise companies. Our company are resellers and integrators, and I'm a company director.

• "Functionality of the cloud key in terms of monitoring and managing the environment."
  • "Software interfaces could be improved and there is a lack of documentation."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to research the solution first, set it up in a lab environment to make sure it's working fully before you approach a customer with it. It's a good product at a reasonable price, much better in terms of cost than Cisco which is very expensive. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
MF
Network Administrator at a consultancy with self employed
User-friendly, centralized management, and there is a good knowledge base for reference

What is our primary use case?

We use the UniFi Security Gateway (USG) and the access points. Normally, we use it to set up small scale networks. I have not implemented any large-scale corporate networks with it. Rather, they have been small to medium-sized. It is useful if they want to configure VLAN or implement VPN connectivity between two sites. The VPN can also be configuring using UniFi Wireless.

• "I like the centralized management console, where we can add all of the devices to the Unifi controller and then management them from a single point."
  • "I don't like the concept of the QoS, Quality of Service configuration because it doesn't give very granular configuration access to prioritize network traffic."

What other advice do I have?

UniFi is a product that I can recommend if it is a small or medium-sized network. Personally, with a medium-level network, I would definitely purchase UniFi for that. I have not used the command-line option, but instead, I use the graphical interface. My understanding is that if you are good with the command line then it is easy to install. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
reviewer1139577
User
Allows for effective monitoring and troubleshooting both remotely and on-site

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for both wired and wireless networking in a factory that is based in Johannesburg, South Africa.

How has it helped my organization?

UniFi Network Management Controller has allowed our admins to effectively monitor and troubleshoot network issues, both online remotely and on-site.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the UniFi Network Management Controller. The level of reporting offered by the controller, when used with other Ubiquiti equipment, has been invaluable.

What needs improvement?

A more powerful heatmapping application in the controller would assist in more reliable WiFi modeling.

Five years.