Ubiquiti UniFi OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Ubiquiti UniFi is #1 ranked solution in top Wi-Fi Hotspot Software. IT Central Station users give Ubiquiti UniFi an average rating of 8 out of 10. Ubiquiti UniFi is most commonly compared to Purple WiFi:Ubiquiti UniFi vs Purple WiFi. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 32% of all views.
What is Ubiquiti UniFi?
Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AP, Featuring a clean industrial design, can be integrated seamlessly into any wall or ceiling surface (mounting kits included). The LED indicator simplifies deployment and configuration. With its software-based capabilities, the UniFi virtual control plane allows for unlimited scalability under one centralized controller. The UniFi Controller software is bundled with the UniFi AP hardware at no extra charge - no separate software, licensing or support fee.

Ubiquiti UniFi was previously known as UniFi.

Ubiquiti UniFi Buyer's Guide

Download the Ubiquiti UniFi Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Ubiquiti UniFi Customers
NASCAR Grand-AM, Maritime Parc, Outdoor Music Festival, One Republic Tour, British Armed Forces, Arcadia School District, Bartlett School District, Universidad del Azuay, Estelar Hotels, Intercontinental Bali, Moscow - Enforta, Miami - Sling Broadband, Manhattan - MST, Ecuador - Aire.EC

Ubiquiti UniFi Reviews

JM
Manager ITeS at a non-tech company with 11-50 employees
Good centralized management and easy to set up, but technical support needs to be improved

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is how it is centralized."
  • "Setting up IP generation for something like guest access is pretty confusing and should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Ubiquiti UniFi is used for deploying Wi-Fi connectivity for staff and students. All of the services have MAC bindings and are whitelisted, and once they leave they can no longer use it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is how it is centralized. There are two options that you can use, where one is a cloud-based approach and the other is standalone. The cloud-based approach is more flexible and allows me to access it and control things from anywhere.

The coverage is ok, it is stable, and I am able to discover things quickly.

I am able to easily identify who many users are accessing the Wi-Fi, along with which people are connected to which access points. All of this information is available in the console.

What needs improvement?

This solution could be more user-friendly.

Setting up IP generation for something like guest access is pretty confusing and should be improved. The Java support within that is also a problem. The system is able to use the launcher base, and also use the social networking IP generation, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It depends purely upon the Android device in which you are using to access it. Even with a laptop, it will wait for Java and if it is not there or not configured properly then the client will suffer. The UniFi controller or the help guild should report what the Java version is so that I can easily see what is required.

I would like to have better and more structured reporting about individuals. Right now, we can see the user and where they are connected, but it does not give details such as what is being accessed.

I have been using Ubiquiti UniFi for the past two years.

I would say that this solution is stable.

Both the access point stability and controller stability are factors that come into play. The access point stability does not give me any difficulty. However, the controller keeps taking updates and if something goes wrong then I have to reconfigure and reinstall. I don't have the chance to reaccess it, reconnect, or login. It is not allowed. I have to completely take it out. There is a way to back up the current setting in a database, but it is not happening currently. I have written a support ticket about this, but I have not received a proper response from the team.

The scalability is based on the capacity of the controller. In our case, it is a small campus that has 18 towers with access points. We have not reached the maximum yet, and getting all 18 devices working has not been an issue. Also, if I add a new device then it will recognize it.

There is a limit to the number of end-users who can connect to each access point. We have found that a maximum of six or seven people can be connected to a single tower with pretty good bandwidth. Beyond that, bandwidth becomes a problem.

Overall, I think that it will work for a small organization, but not a large one.

The level of support is limited. When I am stuck with any technical issues, it takes a long time to fix. In fact, the biggest difficulty that I have with this solution is getting the proper level of support.

We had a couple of generalized Wi-Fi towers on the campus before this solution was implemented. These were easily integrated into the current system.

The initial setup is straightforward. Once you create the master login, you start adding the access points. In standalone mode, you can immediately start the discovery. Whatever is there in the LAN will automatically be detected.

The only thing is that when the configuration for the access points is being done for the first time, it needs to be done properly so that it detects them. For example, if you use a different IP address and it is not being directed properly then you have to re-configure the access point and then wait for a few minutes before you can use the new IP. You sometimes have difficulty with the discovery but it is usually straightforward.

I did not evaluate other options before choosing Ubiquiti UniFi.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend for small companies and organizations. A single controller can handle a maximum of 255 users on a single subnet.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Supervisor of IT Infrastructure & Cybersecurity at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Ubiquiti's support model is community driven and it enables us to manage multiple networks from the same cloud logon

What is our primary use case?

Ubiquiti UniFi is the most cost-effective network (wired and wireless) solution on the market. I think the reason they are so cost effective is that their support model is community driven. If your needs are rather basic and you are willing to dig in and learn the solution, it will pay dividends for years to come. The advanced feature sets are lacking, but for small businesses, Ubiquiti UniFi checks most of the boxes for features required. Ubiquiti UniFi offers a lot of enhancements through software (which is free) as time goes on making the hardware a better value all the time. No support contracts required.

How has it helped my organization?

For switching and wireless, Ubiquiti UniFi is a hit, and as long as your requirements are pretty basic, Ubiquiti UniFi will make you look like a star with the bean counters. It's enterprise hardware for the price of happy homeowner equipment. We've deployed Unifi solutions in numerous small and medium sized businesses without and problems. With the cloud management each network can be managed from the same logon. Ubiquiti has two factor Authentication (2FA) to secure the cloud management.

What is most valuable?

The software developers at Ubiquiti are awesome. I think of Ubiquiti as a software company as much as a hardware solution. Ubiquiti offers a cloud-managed solution connecting to your controller that can be hosted locally, in the cloud, or on Ubiquiti's Cloud Key controller.

The Cloud Key Gen2 is a huge improvement over the Gen1 solution mainly because it offers battery backup to keep the onboard MongoDB from getting corrupted when a power failure is experienced. You can manage multiple networks (sites) from the same cloud logon.

What needs improvement?

The weak link to Ubiquiti UniFi's solution is the USG (gateway/firewall appliance). While the USG offers basic features, it doesn't have much above basic. It's also underpowered to handle the advanced features that it does offer at Internet connection speeds above 250 Mbps. This could (and probably will be resolved) in a future hardware/software upgrade. At most sites, we have installed alternate security appliance solutions to the USG.

Some end users will miss the advanced features and technical support. But considering the cost, this can be seen as a plus once you get your bearings on how to configure the equipment. For large enterprises used to the feature set of Cisco, Juniper, and the other big names, this is not a good solution. There are simply too many feature shortcomings for most large enterprises.

If you need more advanced features, Ubiquiti offers another product line called EdgeMAX. It's not as advanced as Cisco and Juniper, but it is much closer.

More than seven years.

Carrier-class stability. RMA is available while under warranty. The product is cheap enough to be able to afford cold spares.

Can be scaled out to large networks as long as your requirements are basic.

The community forums are very populated with others that are more than willing to help. The biggest concern with this is if you run into something that is a show stopper there is no one to call to get a fast resolution. The equipment is so cost effective you can afford to keep cold spares on a nearby shelf though.

Previously we used Cisco small business solutions. The cloud management and price brought Ubiquiti to the front runner position.

Pretty straightforward. If you have network experience, the quick start guide will have you off and running and impressed in no time.

In-house. Ubiquiti was very simple to learn for me. If you are familiar with network systems you will be up and running in no time.

Ubiquiti is a value leader for those looking to dig in and learn a network solution that is pretty unique in the industry with regard to value and bang for the buck.

It's very cost effective! There is no licensing required with the Unifi product line.

Cisco small business equipment, Netgear.

What other advice do I have?

Purchase one of each device (switch, AP, USG) and try them out in a lab environment with a PC based controller. They are so cost effective you will find them impressive. Ubiquiti was founded by a former Apple employee, Robert Pera, who was a wifi engineer at Apple.

Private Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Ubiquiti UniFi. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
555,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BrianCook
Senior Technology Specialist - VP at Unified Technology Solutions
Reseller
The cloud management has revolutionized the way we provide services to clients

• "The cloud management has revolutionized the way we provide services to clients, onsite trips have almost ceased and once complicated changes are made in minutes."
  • "Documentation could be improved, especially regarding known issues or new features. It relies heavily on the user community to provide support and info. There is a vast user group with support groups on both the dedicated forums as well as most social media platforms."

What is our primary use case?

Provide WiFi and Networking to School and Business Campuses that are Clients of our MSP, because we manage the networks too we can't just install some equipment and walk away, we need to be able to quickly make changes. The UniFi line gives us that ability through the Cloud Management feature. We host our own cloud management server so we are not tied to the manufacture's whims, schedules, and changes. The software easily resides on other cloud-based servers we already had so the additional monthly cost is minimal.

How has it helped my organization?

In the old days, if I client needed a change we had to find a PC or Server we could use to access the switch, worse is if they were having problems you couldn't even tell if the switch was up, and you had to track all those IPs. With the Ubiquiti Unifi line the switch checks into the server, so if it has any ways of reaching the internet we can see what is going on.

What is most valuable?

Definitely Cloud management, to be able to monitor and work on remote equipment has saved us a fortune in travel and diagnostic time. And not just making changes, but being able to remotely power cycle and individual POE port has helped us troubleshoot issues that had nothing to do with the switches themselves. So say an AP or VOIP Phone is completely locked up, a quick search for the mac address, if the port isn't already labeled, lets us find the device and power cycle it without affecting any other devices.

What needs improvement?

Documentation could be improved, especially regarding known issues or new features. It relies heavily on the user community to provide support and info. There is a vast user group with support groups on both the dedicated forums as well as most social media platforms. So far we have been able to find solutions to all our issues but there is always the fear an issue will come up we can't resolve and we won't be able to reach out to the company directly. They do offer a subscription support service, but it doesn't make sense for the large number of devices we have.

We have been using the UniFi line of Ubiquiti products for the past few years, we moved over when Cloudtrax was purchased and closed the free cloud service offering.

We use this in sites from 6 ports to over 600 and have had no issues.

The one bad part, it is almost nonexistent and relies on a user community.

We came from the OpenMesh CloudTrax system, we liked it a lot but they were bought by Datto and the free cloud service went to $10 per device/month and that wasn't something we felt our clients would accept.

Very Simple once you get the cloud controller working.

Well looking at other options at $10 per device a month our ROI is in the $1000s.

Take the time to read through the forums and groups first and you will learn some neat tricks, pricing is straight forward with no hidden costs so no surprises there. Play with it first before your first install, we actually build the whole network before a single piece of equipment goes onsite.

We came from OpenMesh so we kind of knew what we wanted, we looked at a few other options like Datto and Cisco but they were too expensive. We also looked at the ZyXEL cloud line but we found the command link was blocked by some of the firewalls we used.

What other advice do I have?

Try it, you will be pleasantly surprised at all it does for such a low price.

Private Cloud

Other
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Reseller and System Integrator.
FS
Consultant at SharKom Srl
Straightforward with good central management and good stability

• "Overall, the suite of tools is quite useful."
  • "If I could manage the W-LAN or other items without a UniFi switch, that would be very helpful. I have not tried, but I think some options are tied to the hardware, like the Ubiquiti switch."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily meant for internal office use. The solution has only one SSID, and there aren't normally restrictions on bandwidth, etc.

What is most valuable?

The central management is the solution's most valuable aspect.

There's an ability to keep out some users as well which can be very handy.

Overall, the suite of tools is quite useful.

The solution is straightforward and simple to use.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for seven or eight years. Before I worked at my current company I was using it at my home and for some customers. I started using it originally around 2014 or 2015.

The solution is very stable. I must say that when we deploy some notch points, we never get feedback - neither negative nor positive. It's just transparent and it works. A client would only reply is something is not going well, so their silence is a sign that everything is good. Basically, we set it and forget it.

We haven't had any very big deployments yet. We might have one or two bigger ones this summer for some other companies. We are going to deploy 70 in one hotel, and maybe more than 200 in another company. We haven't extensively tested the limits of the solution's scalability yet.

I've never been in touch with technical support because I've never needed assistance.

I personally haven't used a different solution. However, another person in the office has used Google's version of the solution. We have tried to deploy it in the past, but the cost is really, really high so the customer rejected it.

If the customer wants only one or two access points, then it may be that he already has some consumer-level solution, like TP-Link, and we have to adapt to it. Normally, we only work with Ubiquiti and don't deploy other brands.

The initial setup was really straightforward.

Deployment only took a little bit of time, since I had some preset virtual machines to load for the customer. I simply had to connect the switches to the areas we were trying to reach and assign them and we were done. There was nothing much more to do beyond that.

What other advice do I have?

I always update the solution to the latest version, so I think that 99% of our customers have the latest instance.

While the solution is on-premises, sometimes it has a remote login from the Ubiquiti Cloud. We're not on the cloud, we just use the login.

I'd advise others considering using the solution to use a virtual machine. It's cheaper and simpler than using Ubiquiti Key. I don't know, with the integration of the cameras, if that's possible in all cases, however. In those cases, companies may have to use Ubiquiti Key.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

DK
Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Provides great cloud key functionality in monitoring the environment

• "Functionality of the cloud key in terms of monitoring and managing the environment."
  • "Software interfaces could be improved and there is a lack of documentation."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the solution is for our own office use. In addition, we've deployed it in a retirement village where we use it for tracking nurses as well as providing internet access for residents and staff. We deal with small to medium size enterprise companies. Our company are resellers and integrators, and I'm a company director.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the functionality of the cloud key in terms of monitoring and managing the environment. If something's not working, we can remotely log on, fix an AP, change a password, implement upgrades, etc. It can all be done remotely. In general, the solution is reliable, trustworthy and generally works quite well.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvements, I would say that the software interfaces could be better, they can be somewhat lacking at times. There's also a lack of documentation. We work with distributors and they are the ones that supply support and solutions for us. There is currently no proper after-sales technical support from the company.

As mentioned, the product could be improved by including documentation which is currently insufficient. I would also recommend additional testing of software before new releases. The product needs more R & D in terms of their software.

I've been using this solution for about five years.

Once you get over the initial setup the product is stable and works quite well. We've had some issues where devices automatically stop working and they need to be re-set. There have also been glitches in the firmware where a device stops working and then you can't find it in the application. It needs and it requires a hard reset. But on the whole, it's stable.

We use the local support rather than the Ubiquiti technical support. We have our own team to maintain the products.

The initial setup takes about one to two hours and is somewhat complex in the fact that there's no proper support in terms of out of the box or a manual, or any indication of where to find proper information, so they do need to work on documentation.

Implementation needs to be done by a technical person. There are a lot of chat groups and forums online and you might find five or ten different solutions to resolve the issue but it's not coming from the company. From that aspect, we'd prefer a solution where more testing is done before they release the product.

There are no licensing fees. When you buy the hardware it comes with the software so there's no annual fee. In South Africa to buy Ubiquiti the cost is around 1,900 Rand (approximately $USD100).

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to research the solution first, set it up in a lab environment to make sure it's working fully before you approach a customer with it. It's a good product at a reasonable price, much better in terms of cost than Cisco which is very expensive.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
MF
Network Administrator at a consultancy with self employed
User-friendly, centralized management, and there is a good knowledge base for reference

• "I like the centralized management console, where we can add all of the devices to the Unifi controller and then management them from a single point."
  • "I don't like the concept of the QoS, Quality of Service configuration because it doesn't give very granular configuration access to prioritize network traffic."

What is our primary use case?

We use the UniFi Security Gateway (USG) and the access points.

Normally, we use it to set up small scale networks. I have not implemented any large-scale corporate networks with it. Rather, they have been small to medium-sized. It is useful if they want to configure VLAN or implement VPN connectivity between two sites. The VPN can also be configuring using UniFi Wireless.

What is most valuable?

I like the centralized management console, where we can add all of the devices to the UniFi controller and then management them from a single point. When we are setting up a VLAN, we have to define a network and then add the ports to the particular profiles. After that, the configuration is finished.

Security-wise, it has a lot of features.

The UniFi controller is user-friendly and it is very easy to manage.

This product is regularly updated, including firmware updates, which is something that I like.

What needs improvement?

I don't like the concept of the QoS, Quality of Service configuration because it doesn't give very granular configuration access to prioritize network traffic. I am a Cisco CCNP and I know that in Cisco, we have more granular ways to define a quality of service, but I have found it quite difficult to do so in UniFi.

Some of the networking features are not very easy to configure.

I have been fully engaged with UniFi for the past year, although I have been working with it for almost two years.

UniFi is a stable solution.

This is product is scalable, although I haven't worked in a large-scale network.

I have eight clients who are using UniFi.

I have not had the opportunity to speak with the technical people, although the UniFi knowledge base is a very good reference. Initially, I read through the knowledge base and I consult it when I encounter issues.

I have experience with a similar product by Cisco.

It is very easy to deploy UniFi, especially compared to other products. Setting up the whole network might take a couple of days, or if you have all of the products and work continuously, it might be done in a couple of hours.

When it comes to wireless access points, it is normally cloud-based.

When clients purchase this product, I normally help them to configure it.

What other advice do I have?

UniFi is a product that I can recommend if it is a small or medium-sized network. Personally, with a medium-level network, I would definitely purchase UniFi for that.

I have not used the command-line option, but instead, I use the graphical interface. My understanding is that if you are good with the command line then it is easy to install.