Ubiquiti UniFi Switches Overview

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Ethernet Switches. It is most often compared to NETGEAR Switches: Ubiquiti UniFi Switches vs NETGEAR Switches

What is Ubiquiti UniFi Switches?

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches is also known as UniFi Switches.

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Ubiquiti UniFi Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches Customers

Staypineapple

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Ubiquiti UniFi Switches pricing:
  • "Ubiquiti switches are quite affordable and you don't have to pay extra for support."
  • "I feel that the price of this solution is definitely reasonable compared to all of the others."
  • "The price of Ubiquiti UniFi Switches is really good. We have deployed a few Ubiquiti UniFi Switches in New Zealand, and they are a value for money. They are cheaper and stable, but if you have the budget, I would recommend Meraki switches."
  • "The price is reasonable."

MA
Director of Technical Operations/CTO at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Deploys quickly, offers good stability, and has great feature sets

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use the solution for wireless. We have a lot of wireless clients. That's the big bulk of usage as we're rapidly evolving to IOT.

• "The ability to deploy quickly and then having one central location for all the settings are its most valuable aspects."
  • "The documentation for command lines needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We like using the solution. We didn't want to change horses in midstream, even though a lot of people have attempted to convince us to do so. We try to use the latest version of the solution. We update the firmware on a regular basis and so most of the time, it's maybe one version behind at the most. We're going to basically start some life cycle management too. We're using the solution on-premise with a cloud key. I would advise other users to take training before transitioning from the physical. You can get pretty lost in the process. Take any training you can on the…
MS
Mangement Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Rock solid stability with adjustable voltage configuration for PoE

What is our primary use case?

I use Ubiquiti UniFi Switches. I like the Ubiquiti PoE EdgeSwitches, but I have to use their switches in certain cases because I have 24-volt and 48-volt PoE. Ubiquiti runs 24-volt PoE in a lot of their radios. We use our switches to have programmable voltages. Our day-to-day use cases with Ubiquiti UniFi Switches is basically internal LAN switches for routing WiFi by normal LAN traffic and telephony. We also have to worry about load balancing, because of our telephony in cameras on the same networks.

• "For the world where you have to balance traffic and traffic loads and bandwidth, their GUI makes it really easy because the switches, though they are enterprise grade level two or level three switches, the GUI is designed so that it's easy to set up VLANs where you need to control your traffic so that your phones don't break up and get choppy because of other people loading the network down too heavily."
  • "Most configuration can be done on the GUI but sometimes you have to go under the hood and tweak on the CLI."

What other advice do I have?

I would give Ubiquiti UniFi Switches a rate of Nine on a scale of ten. I just really do like them. Having programmable voltages is fabulous on the ports. Nobody's got programmable voltages on the ports. Ubiquiti have to be because of the gear, but it makes it really slick. That's one place where the GUI is kind of cool, is that you can toggle a port on and off. You can toggle a group of ports off. You can say, "Hey, kill my cameras." It toggles all my cameras for me and bring them back online.
Learn what your peers think about Ubiquiti UniFi Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.
ThomasWilke
CEO at CITOM
Simple to use, open technology, with a nice GUI

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Ubiquiti UniFi switches are one of the products that we implement for our customers. The use case for this solution depends on the size of the infrastructure. Normally, for smaller installations, we use the routing functionality because they are layer three switches. In larger organizations, we use it as a layer two switch and we use Compass routers to handle 10-gigabit bandwidth. We have one customer using this configuration who does 3D modeling and 3D printing, which requires a lot of bandwidth.

• "These switches are very simple to use and the GUI is very nice."
  • "The VPN technology in Ubiquiti products is really difficult for beginners who do not have the right skills."

What other advice do I have?

We are focused on open software and manufacturer-independent solutions, so Ubiquiti fits our strategy well because they operate on the Linux operating system. We have had no problems where this product did not do what it was supposed to do, either from the hardware side or the software side. This is a solution that I recommend for normal operations. The suitability of these switches depends on what you want to do, what your tasks are, and what the application is. Ubiquiti is not always the manufacturer of choice. If you need really high-speed networks or have special requirements then it is…
CS
Network System Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to use with centralized management, simple to install, and configure

What is our primary use case?

We are a tech services company and this is one of the solutions that we provide to our customers. I have worked a great deal with Ubiquiti switches and other products. The primary use case for this solution is to supply power to access points and Voice over IP devices. For example, we install one 24-port switch so that we can connect multiple devices into it, and then create different VLANs.

• "The GUI interface is very easy to use and the Linux-based command-line interface is also good."
  • "The technical support for this solution could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend. It's simple to use, and the installation and configuration are pretty straightforward. Anyone who has a little bit of experience with switches and firewalls could use it. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
NM
Easy to use, the VPN performs adequately, and the technical support is okay

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for the VPN and it has been successful for us.

• "The most valuable feature for us is the VPN."
  • "It would be helpful to have better visibility into exactly what is going on in the network."

What other advice do I have?

I am exploring the possibility of using our Ubiquiti switch as an external gateway but I'm not sure whether I want a gateway in the cloud, or what kind of gateway exactly, so this is something to be decided later. My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is that you really need to look at the risk profile. Also, I don't think that it is necessarily scalable because I think that I'm on the edge of the limit of what we can use it for. However, there may be something else coming that will assist with this. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
AlexChubarov
Network and CyberSecurity Engineer at Nextro
Reseller
A stable solution that provides value for money and comes with a user-friendly interface

• "Ubiquiti UniFi Switches are stable and support Layer 3. They come with a user-friendly interface. If you're not familiar with the command-line interface or you wouldn't like to configure it by using the command line, they have a user-friendly interface that you can use. They also have good documentation about how to use these switches."
  • "They can improve the visibility of networks to match Meraki switches, which have good visibility tools to go through the network. In a Meraki device, you get a clear picture when using the bug interface. You can also see its neighbors and have a clear picture of all connected devices. Ubiquiti UniFi Switches do not have such features that Meraki switches provide."

What other advice do I have?

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches are suitable for small companies. I don't know any company that uses these at the enterprise level. If Ubiquiti wants to brand it as a big enterprise solution, it needs to advertise and promote these switches accordingly. I would rate Ubiquiti UniFi Switches an eight out of ten.
PC
IT Administrator at a outsourcing company with 1-10 employees
Easy to install with a reasonable cost and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a bridge to extend our LAN.

• "I haven't found the cost of the solution to be too high."
  • "I'd like there to be better reporting for the solution."

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user. We don't have a business relationship with Ubiquiti. I'm using the latest version of the solution at this time. I cannot speak to the exact version number. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten overall. I would definitely recommend the product to other users and companies.
Magnus Sjolander
Manager at a comms service provider with 1-10 employees
Reasonably-priced, reliable, and relatively maintenance-free

• "It's been working fine, it's been stable, and there are no interruptions."
  • "I had some initial problems with the configuration that necessitated contacting technical support."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is looking into implementing this product is to go ahead and buy it. This is a good switch; the functionality is there and the design is nice too. I think that it's a good buy. So far, this product has had what we've needed. Even though I'm an engineer, I have not done a deep dive into this switch. As such, I haven't paid so much attention to it or the initial setup, so I'm not sure that if I am missing anything or not. Other than the configuration problems, I haven't had any issues. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
See 11 more Ubiquiti UniFi Switches Reviews
Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free Ubiquiti UniFi Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.