Ubiquiti WLAN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Ubiquiti WLAN is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Wireless LAN tools. It is most often compared to Aruba Wireless: Ubiquiti WLAN vs Aruba Wireless

What is Ubiquiti WLAN?

UniFi is a revolutionary Wi-Fi system that combines Enterprise performance, unlimited scalability, a central management controller and disruptive pricing.

Ubiquiti WLAN Buyer's Guide

Download the Ubiquiti WLAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Ubiquiti WLAN Customers

NASCAR Grand-AM, Maritime Parc, Outdoor Music Festival, One Republic Tour, British Armed Forces, Arcadia School District, Bartlett School District, Universidad del Azuay, Estelar Hotels, Intercontinental Bali, Moscow - Enforta, Miami - Sling Broadband, Manhattan - MST, Ecuador - Aire.EC

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Ubiquiti WLAN pricing:
  • "This product is more cost-effective than some others on the market."
  • "This solution is reasonably priced."
  • "It is a cost-effective solution."

Ubiquiti WLAN Reviews

Henrique Barjas
Infrastructure Manager at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
Robust, easy to install, easy to deploy, and has good visibility

• "You can save backups of this controller locally and then I can export it to wherever I want."
  • "I have never used cloud solutions. My first approach would be something related to the cloud, and backups on the cloud, and maybe an easier way to connect to it because I have an on-premises environment."

What is our primary use case?

It's a WLAN solution. I can provide access point management for the whole corporation.

We are not physically installing a single site, we have a few branches across the nation, and I can manage them in a single point.

I have a few SSIDs that broadcast to specific sites.

I can manage the login, and I have it integrated to make it easier for my clients. They don't need to use passwords, it is based on a certificate that is on my domain.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I really like is the backup. You can save backups of this controller locally and then I can export it to wherever I want.

It notifies me when I have to update the access points. It is consistently roaming my environment and alerts me when it is not up-to-date, or if it requires my attention.

For example, it alerts me, if there is an access point that is conflicting with another access point outside of my organization and is using the same channel.

It includes a heat map, which is pretty good. I can import an image with my company or my site, and delimitate the spaces, such as where the wood is, or concrete, brick, glass and few other materials, all with built-in options on the tool. I can pin my devices won where they were installed and we know exactly the broadcast intensity of the signal.

The heat map is a nice troubleshoot tool, that helps me to manage the solution and understand if there is a complaint regarding a co-ordinant. For example, if someone complains that the Wi-Fi is not connected in some place of my sites, I can check the heat map and shows me the proper signal strength on that specific place, I know then, that where I should act, on my AP or on the client's connection to evaluate the network card for the user.

The heat map is always working well.

It has good visibility.

This solution gives me a lot of power to manage the WLAN for my company.

Ubiquiti WLAN is a very robust product to use.

They have a feature that allows you to wirelessly connect between them. If for example, the Wi-Fi has a poor connection with the network, it will look for a partner, and select the wireless from there, or if I don't have data cabling on the local, I can simply connect it into the eletric network and it will work as a wireless extension from any other devices. We barely have outages with the solution and I requires a minimal attention/effort to keep running.

What needs improvement?

For me there is little room for improvement on my scenario, I have never used cloud solutions or had a glance on it.

The improvement I see right now as a good feature is firmware related, if I were able to re-firmware my legacy/old Ubiquiti AP's with a generic new firmware, this would definitely extend the life-cycle of my older assets that still work smoothly, It would allow me to avoid some hardware expenses within years and keep my environment up-to-date.

Another nice improvement for this would be a seamless integration with PowerBi from Microsoft to generate dashboards and aggregate the info on Infrastructure reports easier.

I have been using Ubiquiti WLAN for approximately two years.

We are using the most updated version, which is version 6.0

We had two instances where the controller was down, but that was due to a server issue.

The controller and access points are pretty stable.

In my environment, I currently have 20 access points. In the beginning, we had 15 or 16 access points, we already had close to 30 in the close passando, and now we are running around 20.

In my experience, this platform scales pretty well. I have not scaled it to hundreds of access points, so I am not sure if it can scale for larger enterprise companies the same way it has for us.

I have never contacted technical support.

I have experience with the Ubiquiti UniFi solution. I have been working with it for three years. It's pretty stable.

I have also, worked with Hewlett Packard and Cisco.

The command line breaks the point for troubleshooting and for managing the information, as mostly things are done using a GUI on Ubiquiti, it really gets way easier to identify the issue sometimes.

It was easy to set up. I would rate it an eight out of ten.

It was only two hours to deploy.

It is very easy to manage the solution.

It doe not cost much, I could say that it delivers a nice pack for what it costs.

What other advice do I have?

Ubiquiti itself, is a good company to start with.

Ubiquiti is the best choice for small companies because of the easy installation, their variety of products, and their integration, and you can manage all of your devices from a single controller.

As of right now, I don't have any switches, just Ubiquiti access points, and a controller, but we can manage any device that is manufactured by the same vendor. This is a great feature to have.

I, personally, have never used the switches. I am not sure what the capabilities of it are, or what the throughput is.

If you are a small or medium-sized company, it will ease your life. It will present you with dashboard, and management capabilities.

I haven't seen that ease with other vendors. Ubiquiti offers you a simple way to manage it.

I don't know if it can be used in large companies, where you have large environments to manage, or with data centers or services that you offer on a large scale (over 200 AP/switch devices).

I would rate Ubiquiti WLAN a nine out of ten.

Spencer Malmad
Owner at Tech Exchange
Stable, easy to deploy and manage, and fewer access points are needed when compared to other vendors

• "The most beneficial thing about Ubiquiti is that it is simple to deploy."
  • "The downside is the interface changes, where they are constantly doing firmware updates."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and the Ubiquiti WLAN is one of the networking products that we implement for our customers. We have worked with different versions including the AC Pro HD, the HD, and the XD.

I have set up and manage multiple sites. There are 45 access points deployed all over a billion square feet.

What is most valuable?

The most beneficial thing about Ubiquiti is that it is simple to deploy. I found that the access points were easy to identify on the network and they came over easily, which was an upside.

What needs improvement?

The downside is the interface changes, where they are constantly doing firmware updates. I often felt like I was being pushed into updates, in spite of it already working. In my mind, it also raises a red flag because you have to wonder why they keep changing the firmware. You can decide to ignore the update, but then if you move the access point then it will update automatically anyway. This is a little bit of control that you give up. So, while it is easy to deploy, all of these things that happen in the background make me uncomfortable.

I have been working with Ubiquiti in general for several years, but specifically with WLAN for the past two to three years.

The Ubiquiti WLAN is very stable, although if I don't update it, I feel a lot better.

The technical support is not good. We did get help, but I didn't have a good feeling about it.  By comparison, it isn't the level of support that you would get from Cisco or Aruba.

I would say that they have improved from when I started with them a few years ago and that they are getting better. In fact, it's a lot better, and also, the need for calling technical support has been reduced as well. By comparison, we call Fortinet for technical support more often. With Fortinet, we often joke that you wait on hold for so long that you've fixed the problem before you even speak with somebody about the issue.

Another comparison is with Meraki; with them, you get them on the phone quickly and they fix the problem. That's it.

I have experience with products from several vendors. Some examples are EnGenius, Fortinet, Cisco, Juniper, Aruba, and Cisco Meraki.  There are differences between them and some of my colleagues are upset with the security levels that are offered by some of the other vendors.

For example, if you want to compare Juniper to Cisco, Cisco settings are not as secure. The group settings are much higher in terms of encryption on the Juniper than on the Meraki. And, if you want better security, which is group 14, you can't do that unless you call them up and they actually set it for you. So that's on the Meraki side, or Cisco.

In terms of support or how things actually happen under the hood, some people liked Meraki the best. I am leaning towards liking Meraki more, but there are some drawbacks. As far as the support is concerned, or the overall experience with the solution, Ubiquiti is simple and easy and inexpensive. You go to Meraki or you go to Aruba or you go to the others, it's a lot more money.

For many years, I use the EnGenius products for Wi-Fi. Pretty much all the access points we were selling to our clients were the EnGenius brand. Then we went to Ubiquiti and I was happy because it was much easier, I can manage it in one place, it's better, and I don't have to update things as much if I choose not to. With EnGenius, I never changed anything. I set it once, and I forgot it, and there's something to be said for that. You just set it and forget it and leave it. But the EnGenius, if you have to do troubleshooting then it is quite a problem because the management is terrible.

We implement and deploy network solutions for our customers. This includes setting up the physical access points, then configuring them by adding them to access groups, making sure that the channels don't conflict with other devices, and so forth.

The deployment and models depend on the density of the access points in the space.

This product is more cost-effective than some others on the market.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Ubiquiti is to first make sure that you have a good plan first. Make sure that you have done your homework in terms of the space where it will be installed. The best is if you're replacing the existing solution, you should still review the placement. The reason is that nine times out of ten, you'll use fewer Ubiquiti devices than you would if you were using Aruba, or Meraki, or some other brand.

You don't need to buy as many, even though with the budget you have you can buy twice as many access points for the same money you would spend on Meraki, but it's overkill. You don't need that many. So, be conservative about the number of access points that are put out there. This is to say that you have to do a really good survey.

Look for metal plating, look for the line of sight access, so that you put the access points where they can actually see each other. Make sure that the access points are not too close to each other, but not too far away. That's the whole thing. I go with 50 or 75 feet away, in tight spaces.

Overall, I feel that this is a good product.

Learn what your peers think about Ubiquiti WLAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
542,029 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DA
Senior Manager Infrastructure at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Competitive pricing with an easy initial setup but needs better technical support

• "The pricing is very competitive and the feature sets are very good. It compares well against more expensive options."
  • "The support needs improvement. The official support is kind of complex. It's not that straightforward compared to Cisco and Aruba."

What is most valuable?

The configuration is straightforward.

The initial set up is easy. All solutions at this point, at a basic level, are very similar in terms of features and items of that nature.

What needs improvement?

The support needs improvement. The official support is kind of complex. It's not that straightforward compared to Cisco and Aruba. Their support is probably so much better. That's one of the reasons I'm looking for an alternative solution.

You may find a lack of features compared to Cisco, or other options. For example, on Cisco or Aruba you've been able to find the Wi-Fi 6 access point for a long time now. If you have set up a new solution, you probably will look for something with Wi-Fi 6 coverage. Ubiquiti at that point didn't have it. Now they have it. I checked their website and they do have Wi-Fi 6 support. However, it's clear that they are behind on some pretty standard aspects.

If you're talking about enterprise-level coverage, you likely have many locations. Ubiquiti can handle this, however, it's a bit complicated. To compare another solution, Meraki cloud has a cloud controller. Ubiquiti has a cloud controller, however, it requires some other stuff and probably an appliance that you need to have in order to have this centralized solution control. Cisco is more straightforward and easier to manage at this point.

If you were to compare solutions in general, Cisco is a step forward. Again, there are no big differences. It's just these minor details. However, overall, it makes a difference, depending on your requirements.

When I started to compare other solutions it was due to the fact that I do have technical issues with this product. There seems to be interference between the channels of the solutions. What I was told is that Ubiquiti can set up the channels automatically in order to avoid interference between channels, especially on 2.4 large coverage. That's fine, however, I heard that Cisco, for example, does have the option to do it automatically for APs. If there's a conflict between channels, and interferences become a big issue on your network, they will automatically adjust. That feature is not available on Ubiquiti. That is probably one of the reasons why I do have some technical issues regarding the overall experience.

The solution has okay stability.

I've had issues with technical support.

When it came to dealing with interference, they weren't upfront about the issues caused by too many APs being set up. I didn't really get a timely response from Ubiquiti. It took too long to get into contact with them. Their worldwide support just isn't as good as, for example, Cisco.

I'm in South America. That means, if I have an issue, I can call Cisco and have expert help in 24 hours or less. Ubiquiti doesn't have that kind of turnaround. They can't help you solve things very quickly.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward and very similar to any solution of this nature. A company shouldn't have issues implementing it.

The relationship between the cost versus performance is probably the reason this is the best solution from a pricing perspective. It's pretty cheap and has the best features if you were to compare it to others.

We haven't switched yet, however, we are looking for new options.

I have issues with interference and I'm looking for products that offer solutions to help me avoid this. I've looked at Cisco, and they seem to be able to adjust automatically if interference is detected.

I've also looked at Aruba, and I've found that comparing the three, Cisco and Aruba are much more mature solutions.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I've run an internal audit about the company's Wi-Fi solution properties, all the main metrics about the solution. I was told that there was interference between the channels due to the fact that we have many floors and the floors are where the conflict comes in. Even though the channels were set up automatically by the solution, there were too many APs on the same floor, and that caused the interference to become an issue. It was not caused by the specific solution, however, the fact that their solution was not capable of fixing that automatically or doing something to let me know that that problem was being caused by too many APs density was not the best response.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. We've had problems with interference, however, that issue aside, the value you get in terms of features and pricing is quite good. It's not the most mature solution, however, it does offer a pretty good set of features overall.

CM
Owner at Platinum I.C.T.
Offers free management with good documentation and an easy initial setup

• "All of the interfacing is very good."
  • "Largely we're happy with the product, however, the firmware deployments could maybe be managed a little bit differently."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution with all of my clients.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a pretty simple approach to WLAN.

You can manage it for free. It's just a one-off purchase.

It offers a very good hotspot manager where you can manage vouchers, credit, et cetera, right from Windows. It makes it very easy.

Everyone wants to buy a Cisco or Aruba or one of the other products, due to the fact that they have all these nice features. However, at the end of the day, they never use them. Most of the clients never use the features that they're paying a lot more money for, whereas with Ubiquiti I certainly wouldn't say that is the case.

All of the interfacing is very good.

The solution offers very nice documentation.

The initial setup is quite easy.

What needs improvement?

Room for improvement could likely happen in small areas. Largely we're happy with the product, however, the firmware deployments could maybe be managed a little bit differently.

I would like it if there was a better way of integrating the hotspot manager into payment gateways. When you run a desk metric, it would be nice to have integration into payment gateways so people can buy bandwidth themselves, on your wireless network.

I've only been working with the solution for about a year or so. It's been a short amount of time.

The solution is very stable. We haven't had issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The companies we work for range from small to large. Some are game lodges. Others are bigger organizations.

I've never really had to engage with technical support. We never really had any issues. In fact, we've only had one issue and their technical support in my opinion was very good. They came back to us quickly. They didn't take a week or whatever to respond. I would say their expertise and their willingness to help and assist is definitely there. We're satisfied with the level of support they provide.

I've worked with Aruba in the past. I've worked on some projects lately where you go to some clients that have Aruba installed. I just find that the interfaces, and the set-up, and the manageability of the network is pretty complex with Aruba. The license cost - to actually maintain it, is fairly exorbitant. I don't see the benefit of Aruba compared to Ubiquiti.

The initial setup is not complex. It's very easy. There are obviously little places you can play with and learn about, for example, certain little benefits and features that you can enable or disable. However, if you want to get the WiFi network going on Ubiquiti, you just follow the wizard, and everything will just happen. You don't have to get too fancy.

We are installers. We can install the solution for our clients.

The pricing of the solution is fairly reasonable. There are other solutions, such as Aruba, that cost much more, and I don't see any extra features and benefits that a client gets for the cost difference.

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers and installers.

My advice to other companies considering this product would be to get a consultant in order to do a proper site survey. Planning is super-important, no matter what device or product you ultimately choose. At the end of the day, if you don't plan properly then you can't expect the deployment to be rolled out properly. You need to do proper feasibility on-site. You need to make sure that the areas that you want to be covered will be covered properly.

This product is pretty easy to get set up and get going. For that reason, I'd rate it at an eight out of ten.

BT
System & Network Administrator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Management interface is a key feature, enables viewing of devices centrally

• "Great management interface."
  • "Switching devices requires reconfiguration from scratch."

What is our primary use case?

Our company uses this solution extensively and recently we've deployed it for our clients too. I've also been using it personally so it's a flexible solution. There are probably 10 users in my company. I'm a systems and networks administrator and we're customers of Ubiquiti.

What is most valuable?

The product has a great management interface. We centralized all the devices which enables the possibility to see the coverage of one device in a plan. It's a nice feature.

What needs improvement?

This is not a simple solution like you might find with other vendors. There could be some improvement with the updates and it requires a special environment to manage the Ubiquiti device. You cannot manage a device without the environment. You need to understand the architecture, the environment, and the management of the device which is somewhat complicated. It's not something that anyone can do.

Another issue is that there's no option to take another device, say a second PC or a mobile phone, and try to manage the environment. It's only the initial device that can be used and you need to continue with that. If you wish to change a device, it requires reconfiguration from scratch. I think this is a negative in the solution. Even with this issue it's still a good solution.

I've been using this solution for almost four years.

The solution is stable, but I have experienced an issue with updating lately. Every time I launch the update, the device crashes and I have to manually restart the device,

Scalability is good. Once the environment is in place, adopting a new device is very simple,

We were using Cisco prior to switching to Ubiquiti but the solution didn't have an interface to centrally manage all the devices. Our company is a multi-seat environment so Ubiquiti is very useful.

The main difference between Ubiquiti and other solutions is the wireless coverage and the equipment. The device in itself is solid, It has all the functionality that I need.

Initial setup is a little complicated, because it first requires configuration of the LAN environment before adopting the device. I mention this for those who are not regular users of the product. I don't have a problem with it but I know it's difficult for others. For someone who knows what they're doing, deployment takes about half an hour.

This is an affordable solution and there are no hidden extras.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to study the system before implementing in the real environment, because it can be a little bit difficult initially. Once you have experience it's a very good solution.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

SP
Managing Member at Pender & Associates
Good Management portal, easy to install, and scalable

• "The solution is very easy to install."
  • "The product needs to improve the user interface in the migration from old to new versions."

What is our primary use case?

Currently, I'm mainly using it for residential and small business purposes.

What is most valuable?

It's got good performance, and I like that I can manage it remotely.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is great.

The solution is very easy to install.

The system can be configured to optimise the network security.

What needs improvement?

The new user interface could be improved - some of the features in the old UI are missing in the new UI.

I've been using the solution for over four years.

The solution is stable. The performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution can scale well. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

I'm an MSP, so I've deployed Unifi networks in many sites.

The initial setup is straightforward and simple. It's not overly complex or difficult.

The process can take different amounts of time, depending on the setup. Right now, I've got it installed on a number of different sites.

The pricing is reasonable. There are no licenses required to use the solution. That's one of the benefits of using the product.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'm using a couple of different access points. The AC-LR, UAP Lite, In-Wall units and also the mesh APs, I use all lines of the access points.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Please contact me at support AT penders DOT co DOT za
Nguyen Nhan Tuan
Group Head at VNMC
Good security and reasonably priced, but the signal strength from the access points should be improved

• "The most valuable feature is the level of security on the Wi-Fi network."
  • "The strength of the signal from the access points could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

This is part of our wireless network infrastructure. One of the things that we use our network for is video conferencing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the level of security on the Wi-Fi network.

What needs improvement?

The strength of the signal from the access points could be improved.

I have been using Ubiquiti WLAN for fourteen years.

I have not had any trouble with stability.

We have thirty people in our office and they have different devices such as laptops and smartphones. There are normally around 100 connections at a time.

I have been in contact with online support from the community and it is quite good.

I have also used Aruba and Cisco Meraki wireless but the cost is higher with those solutions.

The initial setup is a little bit complex.

This solution is reasonably priced.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I have already recommended it to two of my colleagues.

Overall,  I am satisfied with the product but it would be great if the signal strength was a little bit higher.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Ravikumar Subbiah
IT MANGER PAN-INDIA at Escon Elevator Private Limited
Cost-effective, scalable, but lacks features

What needs improvement?

There are some connectivity issues that need to be resolved. Additionally, the frequency has to be improved.

I have been using the solution for two years.

I have found they need to work on the stability of the solution.

The solution is scalable.

The customer service is good.

I have one or two technicians that do the implementation of the solution.

It is a cost-effective solution.

I have evaluated Aruba and they…

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution for two years.

I have found they need to work on the stability of the solution.

The solution is scalable.

The customer service is good.

I have one or two technicians that do the implementation of the solution.

It is a cost-effective solution.

I have evaluated Aruba and they have a lot of enhanced features this solution does not.

What other advice do I have?

I am not going to use this solution anymore in the future, I am going to use Aruba. However, I do find this solution cost-effective, it could be suitable for those who do not need some of the advanced features competitors have.

I rate Ubiquiti WLAN a seven out of ten.