LD
Director Lean Infrastructure at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy installation without too much configuration; lacking support for graphic drivers

• "Doesn't require significant manual configuration."
  • "Could be better support for graphic drivers and support from the hardware lenders."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a customer of Ubuntu Linux and work as director lead infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

I love the way that they introduced the Linux system by making a lot of user adjustments for beginners who'd never used Linux before. It makes the solution much more feasible for people who have never used this operating system before to start using it without too much manual configuration. The way that they included third-party drivers for easy installation is great, for example, as are drivers for the video drivers Nvidia and ATI. The operating system is customizable which is also an excellent feature. Basically, you can do almost anything you can imagine from a user interface perspective.

They also do a lot of interesting investment and they make their operating system really usable and adjustable for server systems as well. They have their own Kubernetes offering, which can be used within their operating system. It's great for IT pros.

What needs improvement?

What I think could be improved greatly is the support for the majority of hardware vendors like ATI, Nvidia, and all the other vendors producing hardware and supplying perfect drivers for Windows operating system, but they don't care much for Linux. Canonical are doing a great job, but the third-party support and the vendors should be paying more attention to the Linux operating system, not only with Microsoft drivers and so on.

I'd like to see better support for graphic drivers and support from the hardware lenders when they next provide an update. I believe the third-party vendors are putting their efforts in development for the operating system that has better penetration among users. Unfortunately, they're not paying too much attention because not so many people are using Linux at the moment. It's not their priority. Another aspect might be that the vendors don't like to put a lot of effort into their support and drivers for Linux, because the community that uses Linux is geared towards open source software, and the vendors are rarely happy about that. Still, most of the vendors put their major efforts into the Microsoft ecosystem. I believe it's all due to the market penetration, but it would be great if we could see improvement in this area.

I've been using this solution since it came on the market.

I think it's very stable.

I think it's very scalable due to the nature of the architecture. It's a reliable operating system.

We haven't had any need to contact technical support.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Ubuntu for any user looking to try Linux for the first time. And I believe that most of the things they need would be just working out of the box.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

AA
Operations Manager at a retailer with 201-500 employees
Good user interface and a straightforward setup but have not used it long enough to really gauge its usefulness

• "The solution has a very good graphical user interface."
  • "After only a week of using the solution, we haven't really found any limitations or missing features."

What is most valuable?

We're still in the learning phase. However, from what I have seen in the short time I've used it, it's been rather user-friendly.

The installation is pretty straightforward.

The solution has a very good graphical user interface.

What needs improvement?

After only a week of using the solution, we haven't really found any limitations or missing features. The experience has been pretty good so far.

We're very new to the solution. We're still learning about the product. It's only been a week or so, so far.

The stability, so far, has been good. We haven't had any issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze on us. It's been very reliable so far.

We have about 20 users on the solution currently. However, I've mostly restricted the usage to just myself as I explore the solution. It's still early days. We haven't done any scaling.

While the solution is still new to us, we'll continue to use it so long as the solution itself proves to be useful to the company.

We haven't yet dealt with technical support in any way. Therefore, I can't speak to their level of knowledge or responsiveness.

I did previously use a different solution, however this was recommended to us by colleagues and we're trying it out.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward. We didn't have any issues implementing the product.

The deployment was pretty fast as well. We had it set up within an hour.

I handled the implementation myself. I didn't need the assistance of an integrator or consultant.

The solution isn't really expensive at this time. So far the version we are using goes, it is being used on the virtual machine. That was a free download.

What other advice do I have?

We've just installed Ubuntu very recently. I'm just trying to see how it is right now. We have it installed on Windows 10 Pro. While we use the on-premises version, we're very interested in exploring the cloud.

I'm not sure just yet if I would recommend the product to others simply due to the fact that I've basically just started using it. I need at least a month of working on it in order to be able to tell if it works how we hope it will and if I would recommend it to others.

Right now, I would recommend the solution at a six out of ten. I need more time to really analyze it properly.

Learn what your peers think about Ubuntu Linux. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
552,027 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IS
Co-Founder at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Developer-friendly and easily accessible

• "The most valuable feature is that it's developer-friendly and easily accessible. Like any other Linux operating system, you have access to open sources, all the necessary tooling, and anything that helps developers do their work. I'm no Linux guru, but Ubuntu offers packages that I find easy to use. There are other options for people who are very skilled with Linux, but this solution has the perfect balance of having enough technical requirements to meet your needs while still being usable. It doesn't require you to be so technically proficient that you need to recompile kernels or anything like that. It's a Linux operating system for normal people."
  • "The only improvement I would suggest is to switching back to Aptitude. They switched a lot of the packages that used to be running in Aptitude to Snap. I don't find them as usable when they are in Snap. The most obvious instance of this is that it's caused me to have issues with Chrome. Starting Chrome took a couple of seconds before it was up and running, which wasn't pleasant. Back when it used to run packaging in Aptitude, I didn't have this problem. I know they're familiar with these issues because a lot of other people have experienced them too."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for office work and developing software.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it's developer-friendly and easily accessible. Like any other Linux operating system, you have access to open sources, all the necessary tooling, and anything that helps developers do their work. I'm no Linux guru, but Ubuntu offers packages that I find easy to use. There are other options for people who are very skilled with Linux, but this solution has the perfect balance of having enough technical requirements to meet your needs while still being usable. It doesn't require you to be so technically proficient that you need to recompile kernels or anything like that. It's a Linux operating system for normal people.

What needs improvement?

The only improvement I would suggest is to switching back to Aptitude. They switched a lot of the packages that used to be running in Aptitude to Snap. I don't find them as usable when they are in Snap. The most obvious instance of this is that it's caused me to have issues with Chrome. Starting Chrome took a couple of seconds before it was up and running, which wasn't pleasant. Back when it used to run packaging in Aptitude, I didn't have this problem. I know they're familiar with these issues because a lot of other people have experienced them too.

I have been using this solution for five years.

This solution is stable.

I have never contacted technical support, but I probably will in the future. They offer very good services.

I use Windows 10 because I have to, due to the programs I have that came with it, but I use Ubuntu on top of that.

The initial setup was very quick. It is easy to install.

I implemented myself.

I'm aware of the paid services that they offer and provide technical support for, which are very good. Down the road, I will use some of them, specifically the service that automatically patches the central core of the operating system because it seems useful. Another service they used to have is a paid networking service. The services they offer are useful, but they depend on your particular situation and requirements. I would consider paying for them when a situation calls for them, but I don't need them right now.

You don't need to pay for licensing.

Some of my colleagues use Mint, but it's a matter of preference and specific to each person.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Ubuntu Linux, specifically for developers.

I would rate Ubuntu Linux a nine out of ten.

FK
IT Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to use and comes with many available packages

• "The feature that I most like in Ubuntu is that it is really easy to use. Ubuntu is very easy to use and comes with many available packages. I think that Ubuntu is a good solution for the small business or a small lab."
  • "I would recommend they improve the network security, because it can be very difficult. I mentioned that when you upgrade Ubuntu, the network cut is always deactivated, so you have to restart the service to reactivate the network. It is important to improve this ability."

What is most valuable?

The feature that I most like in Ubuntu is that it is really easy to use. Ubuntu is very easy to use and comes with many available packages. I think that Ubuntu is a good solution for the small business or a small lab, like ours. We have a different database, more applications, and more solutions, and it's not so difficult to use Ubuntu for that.

What needs improvement?

it sometimes happens that when you upgrade, the network card deactivates.
the "Network-manager" network service must be restarted to allow the server to be able to reconnect to the network. this is a situation that I have experienced several times.
Therefore if it is a novice it could be compromising for him.
I think it would be important to improve this so that the network service or even any other service is not stopped after an upgrade.

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for eight to ten years.

We are three senior engineers and four junior engineer doing the maintenance.

In terms of scalability, Ubuntu allows us to implement the necessary scalability. But in our solution, we don't need scalability. But it is possible to implement the solution in Ubuntu and I think it permits scalability.

I have tried to do the scalability by using the future machine to implement the scalability solution, but at this time we don't use it in our solution in the lab because you have many people with commercial access. For this kind of use, normally it is on our server for our solution but it's possible to implement a scalability solution with high availability, also.

I never contacted customer support. Maybe in the future I will contact Ubuntu technical support. For now, when we have a problem, we try to go to the community on different discussion forums to solve our different problems.

The initial setup is easy, it's not complex.

It does not take a long time. The installation of Ubuntu takes maybe 30 to 40 minutes for only its installation and not to deploy our additional software solution.

What other advice do I have?

What I can advise is that Ubuntu is a good solution for different environments, such as one server, but it will be important for them to estimate their scalability solution. If there are many people with access to the server, we know there will be load implementation of the server and you can use Ubuntu here. Ubuntu is easy to use and has a big community for the back-end that can help with the deployment of the solution.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Ubuntu Linux a nine.

MH
Solution Architect / Head of DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
User-friendly, easy to use, and open-source

• "The solution is free to use."
  • "The product could be easier to manage."

What is our primary use case?

Ubuntu is a Linux OS. The solution is primarily used for web servers and web traffic.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use for developers and DevOps teams.

The commands and user commands are very good.

The repository and the security repository are up to date, which is great.

The product is very user-friendly.

We've found the solution to be quite stable so far.

The solution is free to use.

There is a very good open-source community surrounding the solution that can help you troubleshoot if you run into any issues.

What needs improvement?

You need a Linux operating system to be the host of the web servers. We don't use a GUI. It's not like Windows. It's not for daily users to write documents or browsing sheets or browsing the internet.

The product could be easier to manage.

I've been using the solution for five or six years at this point.

The stability of the solution is very good. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's reliable.

The solution can scale if you need it to.

We don't really deal with technical support per see. It's a free-to-use open-source solution. The way it works is it has a community and you can submit to Ubuntu and you can get help from some of the people that lead this community. It's pretty good. You can find what you need to solve pretty much any problem you might have.

I've also used CentOS, and I would recommend Unbuntu over it.

I did not install the solution myself, however, if you decide to use the cloud you can choose it as a wizard. It's my understanding that it is pretty straightforward.

The solution is free to use. It doesn't cost us anything. It's great that we have access without having to worry about licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

We don't use a GUI. We tend to focus on its OS layers. Therefore, we don't really deal with any dashboards.

I'd rate the solution at a perfect ten out of ten. It's been very reliable and we appreciate its capabilities overall.

LC
Programma / Project Manager at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Open-source, scalable, and easy to install

• "The solution is stable."
  • "The learning curve is quite high for non-technical users. Therefore, it's not a suitable solution for a general office environment."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data storage.

What is most valuable?

The data storage capabilities are great.

We love the fact that this solution is open-source. It's free to use.

The product can scale.

The solution is stable.

The solution is easy to install.

What needs improvement?

I can't really speak to any missing features.

There are some costs on offer that could be lower.

I've been using the solution for five years. It's been a while, although I don't use it too much.

The stability is very good. We have found that there aren't any bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is quite scalable. If you need to expand it, you can do so as a company.

It's the base of our data platform. 70,000 people are using it. The IT team alone is 5,000 to 6,000 people.

I've never dealt with technical support directly. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are, as I have never called them for assistance.

We have two major operating systems: Microsoft and Linux.

The solution is quite straightforward and easy to install. It's not too complex or difficult. However, I cannot speak to how long it takes to deploy.

The solution is open-source. I'm not sure if we pay for any licensing or services and if we do, I am not sure of the exact costs. It's not a part of my responsibilities.

What other advice do I have?

We use both cloud and on-premises deployment methods.

I'm not sure which specific versions we are using and if they are the latest or not.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been quite satisfied with the product so far. It's been great.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies. I wouldn't recommend it if you were deploying it as an office environment, however, for the data platform, it's perfect.

CW
Lead Desktop Support Technician at a educational organization with 10,001+ employees
Stable and doesn't use a lot of resources

• "Ubuntu doesn't use a lot of resources. So I think that's pretty cool. It's totally like Microsoft."
  • "Ubuntu might work for a bigger company, but I don't think so. Again, you would have to get the right people to do it. You need somebody technical. If you have a bunch of people who aren't technical, then it is just going to be a headache trying to get a feel for it or teach them."

What is our primary use case?

I'm not doing coding with Ubuntu or the whole shorthand thing. I use the browser and stuff like that. I use it the way it's intended. If I download an ISO or particular distro, I use it, and if I don't like it, I find another one.

What is most valuable?

Ubuntu doesn't use a lot of resources. So I think that's pretty cool. It's totally like Microsoft.

I started using Ubuntu this year, so not very long.

Ubuntu Linux is stable. It's now on the 16th edition I think, which just recently came out. I have a paid education license.

Ubuntu might work for a bigger company, but I don't think so. Again, you would have to get the right people to do it. You need somebody technical. If you have a bunch of people who aren't technical, then it is just going to be a headache trying to get a feel for it or teach them. Microsoft is easier. You can do this, do that, implement, push it out, or whatever.

I never had to reach out to tech support for anything. Usually, I can find what I need by Googling it and getting an answer from the online community.

I've used a few different Linux distributions, but I didn't like the look and feel. So I don't like the other version. I forget what the other version is. There are two other versions. X Force is the blank version. I don't like that version. And I don't really like Gnome, either.

The initial setup is straightforward. You mount the ISO, download the ICE route, and run it on whatever you want to run it. If you want to try it out, you try it out. If you want to install it, you install it. Blow away your geo part chips, and that's it.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Ubuntu Linux nine out of 10. I can't really say much about using it for server purposes, and I don't know anybody who would deploy Ubuntu in a user environment. Most people are not technical, so that's not something they want to deal with.

DEEPEN DHULLA
Director & CTO at TechnoInfotech
Great auto upgrade operating system with very good hardware performance

• "The auto upgrade operating system feature."
  • "Lack of integration with other operating systems."

What is our primary use case?

The solution provides digital use for end users. I'm the director of the company and we are customers of Ubuntu.

What is most valuable?

Ubuntu has better security and better production in comparison to Microsoft Windows and the hardware performance is better than Microsoft. The best feature of the solution is the auto upgrade operating system we get as a support from Ubuntu. The solution is good on the support level in several aspects; the web server, database management, security management, and viral management. Ubuntu is great on all of these.

What needs improvement?

The product currently lacks interoperability with other operating systems like Windows. This means that it's not possible to integrate with some of the popular Windows applications  such as accounting, tax, financial accounting and bracket improvement. I'd also like to see a lighter version of this solution.

I've been using this solution for 15 years.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution. We are a 15-person team using the product but we have deployed for organizations which have 100+ users. We use a three or four person engineering team for deployment. We plan to increase usage of this product.

We have hardly needed to contact technical support. The solution has good documentation and a community forum for support.

I've been using Red Hat and CentOS but I'm not comfortable with the operating system. With Ubuntu it was a lot quicker to get better security features or updated versions.

Initial setup is very straightforward. It takes maybe 10-15 minutes. I carried out the deployment myself.

We haven't gone for a support subscription. Ubuntu is very reasonably priced for anyone looking to use it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Ubuntu in preference to Red Hat which has shifted to a very advanced engineering team. Ubuntu is for anyone who wants to start out. It's best to use it on the desktop and server. It's one of the reasons providers like Google and Amazon are giving reviews based on Ubuntu.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud