DEEPEN DHULLA
Director & CTO at TechnoInfotech
Great auto upgrade operating system with very good hardware performance

• "The auto upgrade operating system feature."
  • "Lack of integration with other operating systems."

What is our primary use case?

The solution provides digital use for end users. I'm the director of the company and we are customers of Ubuntu.

What is most valuable?

Ubuntu has better security and better production in comparison to Microsoft Windows and the hardware performance is better than Microsoft. The best feature of the solution is the auto upgrade operating system we get as a support from Ubuntu. The solution is good on the support level in several aspects; the web server, database management, security management, and viral management. Ubuntu is great on all of these.

What needs improvement?

The product currently lacks interoperability with other operating systems like Windows. This means that it's not possible to integrate with some of the popular Windows applications  such as accounting, tax, financial accounting and bracket improvement. I'd also like to see a lighter version of this solution.

I've been using this solution for 15 years.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution. We are a 15-person team using the product but we have deployed for organizations which have 100+ users. We use a three or four person engineering team for deployment. We plan to increase usage of this product.

We have hardly needed to contact technical support. The solution has good documentation and a community forum for support.

I've been using Red Hat and CentOS but I'm not comfortable with the operating system. With Ubuntu it was a lot quicker to get better security features or updated versions.

Initial setup is very straightforward. It takes maybe 10-15 minutes. I carried out the deployment myself.

We haven't gone for a support subscription. Ubuntu is very reasonably priced for anyone looking to use it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Ubuntu in preference to Red Hat which has shifted to a very advanced engineering team. Ubuntu is for anyone who wants to start out. It's best to use it on the desktop and server. It's one of the reasons providers like Google and Amazon are giving reviews based on Ubuntu.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Valon Balidemaj
Information Technology System Administrator at a outsourcing company with 201-500 employees
Easy to manage and has easier installation than Windows

• "I feel the graphical interface to be very user friendly, as is first time installation."
  • "Debian have a more stable operating system than Ubuntu Linux."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a desktop appliance.

What is most valuable?

I like that the solution is stable and easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

As I use Debian with KDE and love it more than Ubuntu, I choose to rate Ubuntu Linux as a nine out of ten, whereas I rank Debian as a ten. This is because I feel Debian have a more stable operating system than Ubuntu Linux. This is my sole reason for this rating.

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for five years.

The solution is stable, although I feel Debian, which I use with KDE, to have a more stable operating system than Ubuntu Linux.

While the scalability can vary, I do feel the solution to be scalable.

Canonical does not provide us with technical support for the solution.

I make use of Debian with KDE and feel Debian's operating system to offer more stability than Ubuntu Linux.

First time installation is very user friendly. It is very easy, even more so than Windows.

What other advice do I have?

We make use of the solution for our in-house use.

I feel the graphical interface to be very user friendly, as is first time installation.

I also work in the private sector and have my own company for implementing surveys for reviews and clients. My first suggestion would be to go with open source. We use Proxima and also use uni version in the domain control of it. We use Ubuntu Linux on the client side. So, I strongly recommend using open source and not spending too much money on the licensing with Microsoft.

As all of the applications are usually now on the database, what else does one need? A single operating system consisting of scalability and speed means the person will not have to deal with all the dump stuff that happens behind. Of primary importance is to have a good internet connection and Chrome. For these small jobs, I see no need for use of Windows or Mac. Apple or Microsoft should be used for designing other things. I am referring to Ubuntu and Linux use.

I rate Ubuntu Linux as a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Ubuntu Linux. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
552,027 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Noor Parkar
Sr. System and Storage Administrator at a government with 51-200 employees
Reliable with a quick setup, but could be more secure

• "The solution has proven to be scalable. It can scale quite well."
  • "It could always be a bit more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for web applications.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very flexible.

We've found the solution to be stable and the performance is reliable.

The solution has proven to be scalable. It can scale quite well.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I have less experience with this solution than others, however, I can't recall specific improvements or features I would like to see.

It could always be a bit more secure. If they could continue to work on making it more and more secure in upcoming releases, that would be ideal.

I've been using the solution for about two years or so at this point. It's been a while.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. Its performance is good. It's reliable.

The scalability potential of the solution is good. If a company would like to expand the solution, it can do so with relative ease. It's not hard.

We have about 50 people in total who are currently using the solution.

Whether we continue to use the solution or increase usage will depend largely on end-user requirements. It's not really up to us for the most part.

The solution has been very easy to install. It's not overly complicated or difficult. it's pretty easy in general.

Normally, the deployment is pretty fast.

We have a technical team of two administrators that can handle any maintenance requirements.

I can handle the implementation myself. I do not need to call on consultants or integrators. It can be managed in-house.

We are not buying any licenses at the moment.

What other advice do I have?

We are simply customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Unbuntu Linux.

We are using the latest version of the solution. I cannot recall the version number off-hand.

I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten overall.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations and other users. We've had a good experience overall.

SK
Founder at a non-profit with 1-10 employees
Flexible with good flexibility and extremely lightweight

• "The solution is always adding more features."
  • "Occasionally, we have problems with stability."

What is most valuable?

The solution is very lightweight and extremely powerful. You can do almost anything you want to do with these systems. You don't have any limitations. For example, for Windows, there's a limitation where you can't run microservices with Docker.

Docker only runs on Linux as it is actually using the Linux channel. If Microsoft can make the Linux Subsystem for Windows run Docker it would be good. Docker and microservices are the future of everything we are doing. Using Docker and microservices is the best - and it works well on Ubuntu.

For the moment, Ubuntu actually it's installing its own philosophy which according to me is so good.

The solution is always adding more features.

The solution has great functionality and it's easier to use than Oracle or Windows.

What needs improvement?

Occasionally, we have problems with stability. They prefer functionalities over stability sometimes compared to Debian. For Debian, they prefer stability over functionalities - they don't make a run on new technologies. They stabilize, they implement the most stable versions that they can.

Depending on the stability you require on your server, you might prefer going for Debian over Ubuntu. If it is implemented in servers where stability is not really a big deal then you go with Ubuntu as you likely need new features.

We find that the stability isn't that great. They have opted to keep adding new features and functionalities, and due to the fact that it's always evolving, it's not as stable as a solution that is pretty static.

I use Debian as well. I prefer Debian, however, I also like Ubuntu. Ubuntu is like Debian. Ubuntu is from Debian. I'm also familiar with the Windows Server, and I find that Unbuntu is more flexible and has more potential in terms of how we need to use it.

We currently use the open-source version of the product.

What other advice do I have?

We do a lot of configurations for the community. We don't have a partnership with Canonical. We use the open-source solution.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been very satisfied with the solution's capabilities. Compared to Windows, it's very good.

RS
Lead Linux Administrator at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
This is complete; it's stable, fast and free

• "The solution is stable, fast and free."
  • "Limited application support compared with Windows and MacOS."

What is our primary use case?

I support a group that works with artificial intelligence. I install the machines for them and they do the customization. Some use Python, some use Java, some use other languages. They install their own IDs, their own products, their own systems and I deal with the operating system and support it. I'm a lead Linux administrator.

What is most valuable?

This is an excellent solution, it's stable, fast and free. From an admin perspective, we don't have issues. The solution is complete.

What needs improvement?

For the beginner who might not be very comfortable with the tool, it can be frustrating. Like with any new solution, it's complex in the beginning. The solution has limited application support compared with Windows and MacOS. It's not an issue with the system itself, it's the choice of the company that makes the software. It's a marketing decision made by the manufacturer. Most games I run are designed to be run for Microsoft Windows. It doesn't run many softwares that we have online. You don't have many games on Linux, but Linux is not the problem, it's a choice the developer has made.

I've been using this solution for 16 years.

The solution is stable, no bugs or glitches.

The scalability is pretty good. I have around 50 users for the team that I help and have no complaints.

Ubuntu has a lot of resources, either online or books, and there's a huge community that helps users to get through most of the problems they're going to come across. It's hard to find anything negative about this product.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. You download the software, copy to a USB flash drive, install, finish and that's it.

What other advice do I have?

If it's something that people are thinking about using, it's pretty straightforward. You don't have to worry about anything. If you're transitioning from something, run a lab, have a proof of concept.

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

CA
Owner and business consultant at networks srl
Fast, free, and supports containers and all kinds of libraries

• "It is fast and easy to install. It also supports containers and all kinds of libraries. I can do almost everything with it."
  • "It can be improved in terms of user-friendliness for inexperienced users. It also has a lot of scope for improvement in terms of deployment. It is kind of hard for inexperienced users, and the learning curve is very steep. There is not really good documentation for new professionals. Even we are using network servers to install it."

What is our primary use case?

I am using it for quite a lot of things. I teach at a university where we use it for radiation protection computations. On the networking side, I use it for both workstations and firewalls. I always use its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is fast and easy to install. It also supports containers and all kinds of libraries. I can do almost everything with it.

What needs improvement?

It can be improved in terms of user-friendliness for inexperienced users. It also has a lot of scope for improvement in terms of deployment. It is kind of hard for inexperienced users, and the learning curve is very steep. There is not really good documentation for new professionals. Even we are using network servers to install it.

I have been using this solution for 12 years.

If it is administered properly, it is stable. If there are administration issues, they are kind of hard to resolve for inexperienced users.

It is scalable in terms of server cluster infrastructure, but the main issue with scalability is the hardware.

We have five to ten users in the enterprise. We also use it for every student. In terms of our plans to increase its usage, I don't know what the future brings because I see that Microsoft has also started to use Linux infrastructure.

I am not using the Enterprise support for Ubuntu. I am kind of used to it, and I know how to compile kernels and modules. It is no issue at all.

I started with BSD. It takes 10 to 15 minutes to install Ubuntu Linux.

I installed it myself.

I don't need to pay for the license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution based on the application. For a firewall, I would go for a dedicated device. For a desktop, it is okay to use.

I would rate Ubuntu Linux a ten out of ten.

Bernard Bassil
System Manager at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
The updates are very helpful and the way they update their OS is very helpful

• "The most valuable features are stability and updates. We are not using the interface, the interface of the OS, we are using it as the server. We actually sync it through SSH and we deploy our application, so we don't have access to do it. The updates are very helpful and the way they update their OS is very helpful."
  • "The ZFS needs improvement. They do an implementation of the ZFS storage that needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to have as an operating system, to install some applications.

What is most valuable?

I think the operating system is very stable and this is a major advantage.

What needs improvement?

We don't have any kind of support. We have our own skills here at the university and it's enough.

I have a few years of experience with Ubuntu Linux.

It depends more on the hardware layer, not on the operating system. If it can grow on the hardware, CPU memories, then we can put more stress on it. But usually, when we configure it, we configure it on the VM machine and then I start the OS and the application. When we want to expand, we create a new VM, and we start a new Ubuntu OS and we deploy another application. This is how we expand.

We have around 500 to 600 users. We are a university and we have a lot of staff here.

We don't use any external support.

The documentation is very useful with any kind of issues and we easily find a solution on the net variety suite. That is why also we choose Ubuntu. Because any kind of problem or any kind of implementation issue, we have a solution, we are able to find a solution on the net.

We usually acquire a solution application and then we deploy it. It is a matter of one hour or two.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Ubuntu Linux.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

PA
Project Manager at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Flexible, stable, and easy to install

• "I like the flexibility."
  • "The config file can be changed in many ways, but with other solutions, there is only one way to configure the system."

What is our primary use case?

There are no specific uses beyond it being an operating system.

What is most valuable?

I like the flexibility.

I work on the command line.

What needs improvement?

If you update certain models, it's not as easy at times.

My main issue with Ubuntu Linux is that there are too many ways to administrate Linux.

In Linux, there are too many ways to configure it. My colleague configures in one way and I configure in another way, which makes it confusing.

They should unify the way to configure the Linux systems.

You can change the ATC conflict file. You can change some distributions in another way.

You have to look on many sites if you like to know why and why the configuration is set for in that way.

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for two years.

We have used version 16 for a long time, version 18, and version 20 for quite some time.

I have no issues with the stability of this solution.

Ubuntu Linux is scalable.

We have approximately 100 users in our organization.

Ubuntu Linux is the popular choice in our company. It is approved to continue usage.

I have never used technical support.

I only use research on the internet.

I am also using IX, HP Unix, Ubuntu, and some Linux.

It is very easy to install.

I completed the installation myself. I did not use an integrator or consultant.

I am a project manager. I am not a system administrator, I don't know about the cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Ubuntu Linux an eight out of ten.