Noor Parkar
Sr. System and Storage Administrator at a government with 51-200 employees
Reliable with a quick setup, but could be more secure

• "The solution has proven to be scalable. It can scale quite well."
  • "It could always be a bit more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for web applications.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very flexible.

We've found the solution to be stable and the performance is reliable.

The solution has proven to be scalable. It can scale quite well.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I have less experience with this solution than others, however, I can't recall specific improvements or features I would like to see.

It could always be a bit more secure. If they could continue to work on making it more and more secure in upcoming releases, that would be ideal.

I've been using the solution for about two years or so at this point. It's been a while.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. Its performance is good. It's reliable.

The scalability potential of the solution is good. If a company would like to expand the solution, it can do so with relative ease. It's not hard.

We have about 50 people in total who are currently using the solution.

Whether we continue to use the solution or increase usage will depend largely on end-user requirements. It's not really up to us for the most part.

The solution has been very easy to install. It's not overly complicated or difficult. it's pretty easy in general.

Normally, the deployment is pretty fast.

We have a technical team of two administrators that can handle any maintenance requirements.

I can handle the implementation myself. I do not need to call on consultants or integrators. It can be managed in-house.

We are not buying any licenses at the moment.

What other advice do I have?

We are simply customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Unbuntu Linux.

We are using the latest version of the solution. I cannot recall the version number off-hand.

I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten overall.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations and other users. We've had a good experience overall.

SK
Founder at a non-profit with 1-10 employees
Flexible with good flexibility and extremely lightweight

• "The solution is always adding more features."
  • "Occasionally, we have problems with stability."

What is most valuable?

The solution is very lightweight and extremely powerful. You can do almost anything you want to do with these systems. You don't have any limitations. For example, for Windows, there's a limitation where you can't run microservices with Docker.

Docker only runs on Linux as it is actually using the Linux channel. If Microsoft can make the Linux Subsystem for Windows run Docker it would be good. Docker and microservices are the future of everything we are doing. Using Docker and microservices is the best - and it works well on Ubuntu.

For the moment, Ubuntu actually it's installing its own philosophy which according to me is so good.

The solution is always adding more features.

The solution has great functionality and it's easier to use than Oracle or Windows.

What needs improvement?

Occasionally, we have problems with stability. They prefer functionalities over stability sometimes compared to Debian. For Debian, they prefer stability over functionalities - they don't make a run on new technologies. They stabilize, they implement the most stable versions that they can.

Depending on the stability you require on your server, you might prefer going for Debian over Ubuntu. If it is implemented in servers where stability is not really a big deal then you go with Ubuntu as you likely need new features.

We find that the stability isn't that great. They have opted to keep adding new features and functionalities, and due to the fact that it's always evolving, it's not as stable as a solution that is pretty static.

I use Debian as well. I prefer Debian, however, I also like Ubuntu. Ubuntu is like Debian. Ubuntu is from Debian. I'm also familiar with the Windows Server, and I find that Unbuntu is more flexible and has more potential in terms of how we need to use it.

We currently use the open-source version of the product.

What other advice do I have?

We do a lot of configurations for the community. We don't have a partnership with Canonical. We use the open-source solution.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been very satisfied with the solution's capabilities. Compared to Windows, it's very good.

Learn what your peers think about Ubuntu Linux. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RS
Lead Linux Administrator at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
This is complete; it's stable, fast and free

• "The solution is stable, fast and free."
  • "Limited application support compared with Windows and MacOS."

What is our primary use case?

I support a group that works with artificial intelligence. I install the machines for them and they do the customization. Some use Python, some use Java, some use other languages. They install their own IDs, their own products, their own systems and I deal with the operating system and support it. I'm a lead Linux administrator.

What is most valuable?

This is an excellent solution, it's stable, fast and free. From an admin perspective, we don't have issues. The solution is complete.

What needs improvement?

For the beginner who might not be very comfortable with the tool, it can be frustrating. Like with any new solution, it's complex in the beginning. The solution has limited application support compared with Windows and MacOS. It's not an issue with the system itself, it's the choice of the company that makes the software. It's a marketing decision made by the manufacturer. Most games I run are designed to be run for Microsoft Windows. It doesn't run many softwares that we have online. You don't have many games on Linux, but Linux is not the problem, it's a choice the developer has made.

I've been using this solution for 16 years.

The solution is stable, no bugs or glitches.

The scalability is pretty good. I have around 50 users for the team that I help and have no complaints.

Ubuntu has a lot of resources, either online or books, and there's a huge community that helps users to get through most of the problems they're going to come across. It's hard to find anything negative about this product.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. You download the software, copy to a USB flash drive, install, finish and that's it.

What other advice do I have?

If it's something that people are thinking about using, it's pretty straightforward. You don't have to worry about anything. If you're transitioning from something, run a lab, have a proof of concept.

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

CA
Owner and business consultant at networks srl
Fast, free, and supports containers and all kinds of libraries

• "It is fast and easy to install. It also supports containers and all kinds of libraries. I can do almost everything with it."
  • "It can be improved in terms of user-friendliness for inexperienced users. It also has a lot of scope for improvement in terms of deployment. It is kind of hard for inexperienced users, and the learning curve is very steep. There is not really good documentation for new professionals. Even we are using network servers to install it."

What is our primary use case?

I am using it for quite a lot of things. I teach at a university where we use it for radiation protection computations. On the networking side, I use it for both workstations and firewalls. I always use its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is fast and easy to install. It also supports containers and all kinds of libraries. I can do almost everything with it.

What needs improvement?

It can be improved in terms of user-friendliness for inexperienced users. It also has a lot of scope for improvement in terms of deployment. It is kind of hard for inexperienced users, and the learning curve is very steep. There is not really good documentation for new professionals. Even we are using network servers to install it.

I have been using this solution for 12 years.

If it is administered properly, it is stable. If there are administration issues, they are kind of hard to resolve for inexperienced users.

It is scalable in terms of server cluster infrastructure, but the main issue with scalability is the hardware.

We have five to ten users in the enterprise. We also use it for every student. In terms of our plans to increase its usage, I don't know what the future brings because I see that Microsoft has also started to use Linux infrastructure.

I am not using the Enterprise support for Ubuntu. I am kind of used to it, and I know how to compile kernels and modules. It is no issue at all.

I started with BSD. It takes 10 to 15 minutes to install Ubuntu Linux.

I installed it myself.

I don't need to pay for the license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution based on the application. For a firewall, I would go for a dedicated device. For a desktop, it is okay to use.

I would rate Ubuntu Linux a ten out of ten.

Bernard Bassil
System Manager at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
The updates are very helpful and the way they update their OS is very helpful

• "The most valuable features are stability and updates. We are not using the interface, the interface of the OS, we are using it as the server. We actually sync it through SSH and we deploy our application, so we don't have access to do it. The updates are very helpful and the way they update their OS is very helpful."
  • "The ZFS needs improvement. They do an implementation of the ZFS storage that needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to have as an operating system, to install some applications.

What is most valuable?

I think the operating system is very stable and this is a major advantage.

What needs improvement?

We don't have any kind of support. We have our own skills here at the university and it's enough.

I have a few years of experience with Ubuntu Linux.

It depends more on the hardware layer, not on the operating system. If it can grow on the hardware, CPU memories, then we can put more stress on it. But usually, when we configure it, we configure it on the VM machine and then I start the OS and the application. When we want to expand, we create a new VM, and we start a new Ubuntu OS and we deploy another application. This is how we expand.

We have around 500 to 600 users. We are a university and we have a lot of staff here.

We don't use any external support.

The documentation is very useful with any kind of issues and we easily find a solution on the net variety suite. That is why also we choose Ubuntu. Because any kind of problem or any kind of implementation issue, we have a solution, we are able to find a solution on the net.

We usually acquire a solution application and then we deploy it. It is a matter of one hour or two.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Ubuntu Linux.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

PA
Project Manager at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Flexible, stable, and easy to install

• "I like the flexibility."
  • "The config file can be changed in many ways, but with other solutions, there is only one way to configure the system."

What is our primary use case?

There are no specific uses beyond it being an operating system.

What is most valuable?

I like the flexibility.

I work on the command line.

What needs improvement?

If you update certain models, it's not as easy at times.

My main issue with Ubuntu Linux is that there are too many ways to administrate Linux.

In Linux, there are too many ways to configure it. My colleague configures in one way and I configure in another way, which makes it confusing.

They should unify the way to configure the Linux systems.

You can change the ATC conflict file. You can change some distributions in another way.

You have to look on many sites if you like to know why and why the configuration is set for in that way.

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for two years.

We have used version 16 for a long time, version 18, and version 20 for quite some time.

I have no issues with the stability of this solution.

Ubuntu Linux is scalable.

We have approximately 100 users in our organization.

Ubuntu Linux is the popular choice in our company. It is approved to continue usage.

I have never used technical support.

I only use research on the internet.

I am also using IX, HP Unix, Ubuntu, and some Linux.

It is very easy to install.

I completed the installation myself. I did not use an integrator or consultant.

I am a project manager. I am not a system administrator, I don't know about the cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Ubuntu Linux an eight out of ten.

MW
Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good performance, easy to install, and works well in a software development environment

• "Ubuntu Linux has the advantage of performance. It runs very quickly."
  • "More drivers for hardware such as different network adapters should be developed."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we recommend this product to our customers. We also use it internally.

Ubuntu provides us with a computer server, allowing us to combine our software code and different projects to produce graphics.

This operating system is suitable for cloud computing.

What is most valuable?

Ubuntu Linux has the advantage of performance. It runs very quickly.

This is a product that is being developed very quickly and it changes approximately every six months.

What needs improvement?

This product is not suitable for data transportation, data backups, or other data applications.

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for approximately five years.

This product is used by our engineering team, which has approximately 20 engineers. We plan to continue using it in the future.

I don't know of any free technical support that is available. We get support from the knowledge base or from the website, in the section titled Download Support Center.

I have also used Oracle Linux. It is very stable and good at tasks that include data transportation, data backup, data products, and other data-related functions.

These two products are different in their design. The choice of these products depends on the needs because they are designed for different goals.

The installation of Ubuntu is easy. It takes approximately 20 minutes to deploy.

Ubuntu is an open-source Linux operating system that can be used free of charge.

Buyers can pay for services and support, but they do not have to pay for a license.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend to customers who are software developers and make use of compilers. It is very useful for this use case.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

HimanshuTejwani
System Administrator and DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Open source, easy to set up, and easy to manage

• "The feature that I have found the most valuable is that it is open source. It is also very easy to manage. We can manage it ourselves."
  • "It is an open-source tool, and it doesn't have any support. If there is an issue with the implementation of a feature, such as clustering, I am not sure how to resolve it and get support for it. The stability of the vendor packages also impacts the stability of this solution. When vendor packages are unstable, or any packages are broken, they also impact Ubuntu Linux. It is very hard to resolve an issue related to unstable vendor packages."

What is our primary use case?

We run our personal applications or non-mission-critical applications on Ubuntu Linux to cut the cost.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found the most valuable is that it is open source. It is also very easy to manage. We can manage it ourselves.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for three years.

It is stable. I didn't face any issues.

It is scalable. We have big servers on it.

We have four to five people directly working on Ubuntu Linux. They are a part of the System Admin team.

I have used Kali Linux as well. If you want to go for an open-source solution, Ubuntu Linux is better. It is a bit better to use.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. It took about 20 minutes.

I implemented it myself. The deployment duration depends on the scenario. For small deployments, only one person is required.

What other advice do I have?

We have on-cloud and on-premises deployments. I am working on the core features, and I haven't faced any critical issues with it. We use it for our non-critical applications. We don't use it for any critical applications, such as financial applications, because we do not get any official support for it. For critical applications, Red Hat is a better option.

I would rate Ubuntu Linux a nine out of ten.

Download our free Ubuntu Linux Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.