MW
Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good performance, easy to install, and works well in a software development environment

• "Ubuntu Linux has the advantage of performance. It runs very quickly."
  • "More drivers for hardware such as different network adapters should be developed."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we recommend this product to our customers. We also use it internally.

Ubuntu provides us with a computer server, allowing us to combine our software code and different projects to produce graphics.

This operating system is suitable for cloud computing.

What is most valuable?

Ubuntu Linux has the advantage of performance. It runs very quickly.

This is a product that is being developed very quickly and it changes approximately every six months.

What needs improvement?

This product is not suitable for data transportation, data backups, or other data applications.

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for approximately five years.

This product is used by our engineering team, which has approximately 20 engineers. We plan to continue using it in the future.

I don't know of any free technical support that is available. We get support from the knowledge base or from the website, in the section titled Download Support Center.

I have also used Oracle Linux. It is very stable and good at tasks that include data transportation, data backup, data products, and other data-related functions.

These two products are different in their design. The choice of these products depends on the needs because they are designed for different goals.

The installation of Ubuntu is easy. It takes approximately 20 minutes to deploy.

Ubuntu is an open-source Linux operating system that can be used free of charge.

Buyers can pay for services and support, but they do not have to pay for a license.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend to customers who are software developers and make use of compilers. It is very useful for this use case.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

HimanshuTejwani
System Administrator and DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Open source, easy to set up, and easy to manage

• "The feature that I have found the most valuable is that it is open source. It is also very easy to manage. We can manage it ourselves."
  • "It is an open-source tool, and it doesn't have any support. If there is an issue with the implementation of a feature, such as clustering, I am not sure how to resolve it and get support for it. The stability of the vendor packages also impacts the stability of this solution. When vendor packages are unstable, or any packages are broken, they also impact Ubuntu Linux. It is very hard to resolve an issue related to unstable vendor packages."

What is our primary use case?

We run our personal applications or non-mission-critical applications on Ubuntu Linux to cut the cost.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found the most valuable is that it is open source. It is also very easy to manage. We can manage it ourselves.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for three years.

It is stable. I didn't face any issues.

It is scalable. We have big servers on it.

We have four to five people directly working on Ubuntu Linux. They are a part of the System Admin team.

I have used Kali Linux as well. If you want to go for an open-source solution, Ubuntu Linux is better. It is a bit better to use.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. It took about 20 minutes.

I implemented it myself. The deployment duration depends on the scenario. For small deployments, only one person is required.

What other advice do I have?

We have on-cloud and on-premises deployments. I am working on the core features, and I haven't faced any critical issues with it. We use it for our non-critical applications. We don't use it for any critical applications, such as financial applications, because we do not get any official support for it. For critical applications, Red Hat is a better option.

I would rate Ubuntu Linux a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Ubuntu Linux. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
HF
Researcher (telecommunication networks, smart cities and IoT) at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Open source, stable, easy to use, and it has good community support

• "The most valuable features are that it's free and that it is simple to use."
  • "It could be easier for beginners and the user interface could be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are at a University and use this solution for teaching and research.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it's free and that it is simple to use.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Ubuntu Linux since it's existence, which has been approximately 20 years.

This solution is stable. We use it on our laptops and we deploy it in our virtual machines. We are pleased with it.

We plan to keep using this product.

This is a scalable operating system.

We have approximately 2,000 students and teachers using it.

The technical support is quite good. It's a large community with many tutorials and books available.

Previously, we had used many other operating systems such as CentOS, SUSE Linux, and a few other operating systems based on Linux.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It only took a few minutes to install.

We did not use an integrator or vendor team. We have a team of 10 technicians who can help if someone doesn't know how to install it. Most users can install it themselves.

It's an open-source solution that can be used free of charge.

What other advice do I have?

Ubuntu and Linux, in general, are very common operating systems. Many people have knowledge of it. There is a large community of people who can tell you what is needed and tell you about the bugs it may have. They can contribute because it is open source.

It is a good product and one that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
ManishK
Director at SafeSquid Labs
Easy to learn, simple to manage, and reliable

• "Ubuntu Linux is very easy to learn, manage, and keep updated."
  • "The solution is a little complicated to customize and could be made easier."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution in my organization as a software development platform.

How has it helped my organization?

Ubuntu Linux is a very good platform for software development. If you want to deploy dependencies for a particular software on Ubuntu it is probably the easiest. If you compared it to Red Hat or any other distribution of Linux, getting the dependencies and other configurations in place is quite a hassle. We have saved time by using this solution.

What is most valuable?

Ubuntu Linux is very easy to learn, manage, and keep updated.

What needs improvement?

The solution is a little complicated to customize and could be made easier.

In a future release, the implementation of lightweight desktops and remote access for server platforms could be improved.

I have been using this solution within the past 12 months.

The solution is stable.

Ubuntu Linux is scalable. However, there could be better documentation to assist in scalability in many areas, such as PCP scanning.

We have approximately 40 people using the solution in my organization. We have plans to increase usage in the future.

It is not very difficult for us to find support for Ubuntu Linux by ourselves since we have already been using it for many years. We generally do not need support from anywhere.

The installation is easier than any other solution.

We did the implementation ourselves.

The solution is free.

I have evaluated other distributions of Linux, such as Red Hat.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. For those thinking about whether they should try out the solution, I would advise them to go ahead and give it it try.

I rate Ubuntu Linux a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
AO
Senior System Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable and easy to use; support could be improved

• "Stable and easy to use solution."
  • "Lacks the ability for disk expansion."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our NFS environment. I'm a system administrator and we're customers of Ubuntu Linux.

What is most valuable?

Compared to other solutions on the market, this is a relatively suitable and good product which is stable and easy to use. Ubuntu currently serves our OpenShift environment.

What needs improvement?

The product could be better. It lacks the ability for disk expansion and is not very suitable for our needs. I also think support could be improved thereby simplifying installation.

I've been using this solution for six months.

The solution is stable.

If I need to increase the disk on Ubuntu it's just hard for us to increase in the environment so scalability is not so easy.

We don't pay for technical support so we can't use it in Turkey.

I've used Red Hat Enterprise and I prefer working in that enterprise environment so I prefer that solution.

If you have two different versions, one version can't be installed on the VMware environment. It is not suitable. I carried out the deployment myself and it took quite some time and a while to understand the program. We have an admin person and an engineer dealing with Ubuntu.

What other advice do I have?

Red Hat Enterprise is very widespread in Turkey and very few use Ubuntu. I work in an enterprise environment and I prefer Red Hat Enterprise Linux because we can easily get support. Red Hat is very widespread and Red Hat support is very responsive. I don't think I would recommend Ubuntu for anyone working in an enterprise environment. I think we'll be shifting to Red Hat at some point.

I would rate Ubuntu Linux a six out of 10.

KH
Data Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, stable, and it can be used free of charge

• "Ubuntu is very easy to use and you can manage it on your own."
  • "If the user interface were further improved then it would be better because more people would be able to use it."

What is our primary use case?

Ubuntu is a Linux operating system and one of the applications that it hosts is my SQL database.

What is most valuable?

Ubuntu Linux is very useful as an operating system.

It has got longer support than some Linux distributions for each version that comes out, so it's good for enterprise-level organizations.

Ubuntu is very easy to use and you can manage it on your own. Compared to other Linux distributions, it is more user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for approximately five years.

Ubuntu provides quite a stable environment.

Ubuntu is scalable and we have approximately 10 users in our organization. It is very easy to scale up and there are no licenses involved. It is just a matter of upgrading your own hardware.

We have not had any technical support issues.

We have multiple versions of Linux distributions. The suitability for each, or which one we use, depends on the demand from the vendors and developers.

It is very easy to install, and it will take approximately 30 minutes to complete.

I have done some installations myself, although most of the setup was completed by our system administrator.

It comes as free software, where there is an option for you to buy support licenses.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I think that Ubuntu Linux is quite good. It is meeting our expectations and I recommend it.

RK
Senior Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Open-source, easy to use, and very stable

• "The initial setup is simple."
  • "We'd like to have a bit more of a friendly user interface."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution for programming.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

We find the solution quite stable.

The solution is cheap and open-source. It's not expensive at all.

The initial setup is simple.

What needs improvement?

We'd like to have a bit more of a friendly user interface.

They seem to put out new releases too often and the solution changes too quickly.

I've been using the solution for more than ten years.

The stability of the product has been good. There are no bugs or glitches. The performance is good. It doesn't crash or freeze on us.

We have more than 100 users on this solution currently.

I've never contacted technical support. I just use the solution for personal tasks. I haven't had any issues that required me having to reach out to support for assistance.

We found the initial setup to be very easy. We simply downloaded it from the internet.

I'm only part of a small department. Therefore, I'm not sure, company-wide, how many people are needed to perform maintenance, or if any maintenance is required.

The solution is open-source. We don't have to pay in order to use it. I use it for personal use, and therefore it is free.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

We're using the latest version of the solution. With Ubuntu, you need to configure and install some packages.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been quite happy with the solution's capabilities.

Ubuntu is easy to use, and user-friendly. However, sometimes, it changes too quickly, and they release changes too quickly.

OmidKoushki
Solution Architect at KIAN company
Can be used as a base operating system for clusters in containerized environments

• "It is easy to use, performs great, and is stable and scalable."
  • "The Linux operating system is very traditional, and you need to use specific commands. I think that it can be improved to be more handy."

What is our primary use case?

I'm responsible for building and providing container environments, and, therefore, I need to install and configure Kubernetes clusters on Linux operating systems. We use Ubuntu as a base operating system for the Kubernetes cluster and container environments.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use, performs great, and is stable and scalable.

What needs improvement?

I think they need to focus more on securing and hardening Ubuntu's operating system.

The Linux operating system is very traditional, and you need to use specific commands. I think that it can be improved to be more handy.

All operating systems in the world are moving toward simplicity, and Linux distribution should also be focused on simplifying the GUI and command line to provide a better experience for the users.

I've been using Ubuntu and Linux systems for around three years.

I work with simple environments like a laboratory, and it is stable because there are no huge workloads on that server.

In general, I think Ubuntu servers are very stable for providing cloud native applications.

I think that Ubuntu Linux is a scalable solution.

We used Windows Server 2012 and 2016 before switching to Ubuntu Linux.

Installation is very simple and straightforward, but if you want to install more than one server simultaneously, for the Linux distribution, you would need to use an automation server. However, if the Linux community provides specific tools built into Linux like, for example, WDS Microsoft, then you will be able to simultaneously install multiple Linux operating systems on multiple servers.

What other advice do I have?

In comparison to Red Hat, I think Ubuntu offers more security, scalability, and better performance, as well as better GUI and administration.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Ubuntu Linux at eight.