ManishK
Director at SafeSquid Labs
Easy to learn, simple to manage, and reliable

• "Ubuntu Linux is very easy to learn, manage, and keep updated."
  • "The solution is a little complicated to customize and could be made easier."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution in my organization as a software development platform.

How has it helped my organization?

Ubuntu Linux is a very good platform for software development. If you want to deploy dependencies for a particular software on Ubuntu it is probably the easiest. If you compared it to Red Hat or any other distribution of Linux, getting the dependencies and other configurations in place is quite a hassle. We have saved time by using this solution.

What is most valuable?

Ubuntu Linux is very easy to learn, manage, and keep updated.

What needs improvement?

The solution is a little complicated to customize and could be made easier.

In a future release, the implementation of lightweight desktops and remote access for server platforms could be improved.

I have been using this solution within the past 12 months.

The solution is stable.

Ubuntu Linux is scalable. However, there could be better documentation to assist in scalability in many areas, such as PCP scanning.

We have approximately 40 people using the solution in my organization. We have plans to increase usage in the future.

It is not very difficult for us to find support for Ubuntu Linux by ourselves since we have already been using it for many years. We generally do not need support from anywhere.

The installation is easier than any other solution.

We did the implementation ourselves.

The solution is free.

I have evaluated other distributions of Linux, such as Red Hat.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. For those thinking about whether they should try out the solution, I would advise them to go ahead and give it it try.

I rate Ubuntu Linux a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
AO
Senior System Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable and easy to use; support could be improved

• "Stable and easy to use solution."
  • "Lacks the ability for disk expansion."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our NFS environment. I'm a system administrator and we're customers of Ubuntu Linux.

What is most valuable?

Compared to other solutions on the market, this is a relatively suitable and good product which is stable and easy to use. Ubuntu currently serves our OpenShift environment.

What needs improvement?

The product could be better. It lacks the ability for disk expansion and is not very suitable for our needs. I also think support could be improved thereby simplifying installation.

I've been using this solution for six months.

The solution is stable.

If I need to increase the disk on Ubuntu it's just hard for us to increase in the environment so scalability is not so easy.

We don't pay for technical support so we can't use it in Turkey.

I've used Red Hat Enterprise and I prefer working in that enterprise environment so I prefer that solution.

If you have two different versions, one version can't be installed on the VMware environment. It is not suitable. I carried out the deployment myself and it took quite some time and a while to understand the program. We have an admin person and an engineer dealing with Ubuntu.

What other advice do I have?

Red Hat Enterprise is very widespread in Turkey and very few use Ubuntu. I work in an enterprise environment and I prefer Red Hat Enterprise Linux because we can easily get support. Red Hat is very widespread and Red Hat support is very responsive. I don't think I would recommend Ubuntu for anyone working in an enterprise environment. I think we'll be shifting to Red Hat at some point.

I would rate Ubuntu Linux a six out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Ubuntu Linux. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KH
Data Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, stable, and it can be used free of charge

• "Ubuntu is very easy to use and you can manage it on your own."
  • "If the user interface were further improved then it would be better because more people would be able to use it."

What is our primary use case?

Ubuntu is a Linux operating system and one of the applications that it hosts is my SQL database.

What is most valuable?

Ubuntu Linux is very useful as an operating system.

It has got longer support than some Linux distributions for each version that comes out, so it's good for enterprise-level organizations.

Ubuntu is very easy to use and you can manage it on your own. Compared to other Linux distributions, it is more user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for approximately five years.

Ubuntu provides quite a stable environment.

Ubuntu is scalable and we have approximately 10 users in our organization. It is very easy to scale up and there are no licenses involved. It is just a matter of upgrading your own hardware.

We have not had any technical support issues.

We have multiple versions of Linux distributions. The suitability for each, or which one we use, depends on the demand from the vendors and developers.

It is very easy to install, and it will take approximately 30 minutes to complete.

I have done some installations myself, although most of the setup was completed by our system administrator.

It comes as free software, where there is an option for you to buy support licenses.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I think that Ubuntu Linux is quite good. It is meeting our expectations and I recommend it.

RK
Senior Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Open-source, easy to use, and very stable

• "The initial setup is simple."
  • "We'd like to have a bit more of a friendly user interface."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution for programming.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

We find the solution quite stable.

The solution is cheap and open-source. It's not expensive at all.

The initial setup is simple.

What needs improvement?

We'd like to have a bit more of a friendly user interface.

They seem to put out new releases too often and the solution changes too quickly.

I've been using the solution for more than ten years.

The stability of the product has been good. There are no bugs or glitches. The performance is good. It doesn't crash or freeze on us.

We have more than 100 users on this solution currently.

I've never contacted technical support. I just use the solution for personal tasks. I haven't had any issues that required me having to reach out to support for assistance.

We found the initial setup to be very easy. We simply downloaded it from the internet.

I'm only part of a small department. Therefore, I'm not sure, company-wide, how many people are needed to perform maintenance, or if any maintenance is required.

The solution is open-source. We don't have to pay in order to use it. I use it for personal use, and therefore it is free.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

We're using the latest version of the solution. With Ubuntu, you need to configure and install some packages.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been quite happy with the solution's capabilities.

Ubuntu is easy to use, and user-friendly. However, sometimes, it changes too quickly, and they release changes too quickly.

OmidKoushki
Solution Architect at KIAN company
Can be used as a base operating system for clusters in containerized environments

• "It is easy to use, performs great, and is stable and scalable."
  • "The Linux operating system is very traditional, and you need to use specific commands. I think that it can be improved to be more handy."

What is our primary use case?

I'm responsible for building and providing container environments, and, therefore, I need to install and configure Kubernetes clusters on Linux operating systems. We use Ubuntu as a base operating system for the Kubernetes cluster and container environments.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use, performs great, and is stable and scalable.

What needs improvement?

I think they need to focus more on securing and hardening Ubuntu's operating system.

The Linux operating system is very traditional, and you need to use specific commands. I think that it can be improved to be more handy.

All operating systems in the world are moving toward simplicity, and Linux distribution should also be focused on simplifying the GUI and command line to provide a better experience for the users.

I've been using Ubuntu and Linux systems for around three years.

I work with simple environments like a laboratory, and it is stable because there are no huge workloads on that server.

In general, I think Ubuntu servers are very stable for providing cloud native applications.

I think that Ubuntu Linux is a scalable solution.

We used Windows Server 2012 and 2016 before switching to Ubuntu Linux.

Installation is very simple and straightforward, but if you want to install more than one server simultaneously, for the Linux distribution, you would need to use an automation server. However, if the Linux community provides specific tools built into Linux like, for example, WDS Microsoft, then you will be able to simultaneously install multiple Linux operating systems on multiple servers.

What other advice do I have?

In comparison to Red Hat, I think Ubuntu offers more security, scalability, and better performance, as well as better GUI and administration.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Ubuntu Linux at eight.

Wesley Lee
Senior Product Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Great customization, good stability, and very good documentation

• "The setup is fairly easy."
  • "There are some drivers that are not there encoded, however, I thought that was pretty normal. They could be more comprehensive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an operating system.

What is most valuable?

The customization of the solution is its most valuable aspect.

The solution offers good documentation.

The setup is fairly easy.

The solution's pricing is overall pretty good.

What needs improvement?

Right now, the solution is working quite well for us. I can't think of a feature that is lacking.

I've been using the product only for about a few months at this point.

The solution is stable. It's reliable. We don't seem to have any issues with bugs and glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze

We've never tried to scale the solution. I wouldn't be able to comment on its scalability.

We have 30 to 40 people on the solution currently.

We never really contact technical support. Typically, if we face issues, we try to handle it in house by ourselves. There is pretty good documentation available, and in that sense, we're satisfied with the level of information we can find to help us navigate the solution.

The initial setup was not complex. It was quite straightforward. However, we don't use it in any complicated way.

Deployment is very fast. It only takes about an hour or so to set up.

The pricing of the solution is pretty fair.

What other advice do I have?

We're on the latest version of the solution.

I'd recommend the solution to other users.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall.

AJ
Human Resources Manager at a outsourcing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, with good support, but the integration could be simplified

• "I like that everything is in the command line. It is really helpful."
  • "At times, it can be complex when we are trying to integrate or when we are trying to set up some features."

What is most valuable?

I like that everything is in the command line. It is really helpful.

What needs improvement?

Recently, we experienced a problem with the integration with DAD where it was not syncing.

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for four or five years.

We are working with the latest version.

This solution is stable. It runs smoothly in our environment and we have not been faced with any issues using it.

It's a scalable product.

We have support, but only use it on rare occasions.

They respond well to customer care.

When we raise a ticket with them, they reply to the emails. For example, if they have a tag for a particular issue they will respond to you within four hours.

We only connect with technical support when we have an issue.

As I am from IT security, there are some type-overs required. I need to use Kali Linux.

I have also tried some penetration testing tools, which is testing that is better done using Kali Linux tools.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It takes a couple of hours to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

We are currently evaluating different software solutions that we can deploy in our environment. Some that we are considering are CrowdStrike and Microsoft Defender ATP.

We are looking at the options and the features that offer us the best endpoint protection.

I would rate Ubuntu Linux a seven out of ten.

Dimitris Iracleous
Lead Technical Instructor at codehub
Is stable and flexible

• "Ubuntu Linux is flexible because it has a lot of new features, so you can use it without any problems."
  • "You have to do a lot of configurations yourself. It is not very user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

It can be used to write an application that is for all kinds of users to operate as an independent application.

What is most valuable?

It is a stable, open source solution as well.

What needs improvement?

You have to do a lot of configurations yourself. It is not very user friendly, but if you wanted to be a technical person, you may use it. However, you may still have a lot of difficulty with the configuration.

They could make more automations for the average user.

I've been using it for 6 months.

I have never had problems with stability.

The installation is straightforward, but you have to study beforehand. It isn't as straightforward as Windows is. You have to know some things you have to do.

It took about two hours, but it could be higher than that because we had to check for things. We didn't need a lot of reboots as compared with Windows, but I had to decide a lot of technical things during the installation.

It's an open source solution, but you can make donations if you'd like to.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Ubuntu Linux at eight and would recommend it to those would like to implement it.

For average users, I would recommend Windows because it's the system most people use. If they are gamers, they will not find any game applications, as Ubuntu Linux is mostly for developers.

Download our free Ubuntu Linux Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.