TM
Systems Engineer at a educational organization with 11-50 employees
Flexible, secure, easy to install, and there is good community support

• "There are several manuals online that are free and available to help you."
  • "The repository needs to be kept up to date all of the time."

What is our primary use case?

Ubuntu is mainly required for work services, your domain name services, and internet public-facing services.

What is most valuable?

It is flexible. It's the best of both worlds.

It's secure.

There is a lot of content available online that can help you, if you have an issue. There is good community support to help you with any issues you may encounter.

There are several manuals online that are free and available to help you.

What needs improvement?

The repository needs improvement.

The repository needs to be kept up to date all of the time.

With my previous employment, I have used Ubuntu Linux for approximately five years.

It is not currently being used but has been used within the last year.

We were not using the latest version. It was between version 16.4 and 18.4.

It's a stable solution.

I use a mix of different solutions, two of which are Ubuntu Linux and CentOS.

The initial setup is straightforward and it is only ten minutes maximum to deploy.

We have one engineer to maintain this solution. It is not complex. It's something you install, configure, and walk away from.

We did not use a consultant, we completed the installation ourselves.

We don't pay any fees.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, and it works quite well.

I would rate Ubuntu Linux a nine out of ten.

JW
Forensic Technology Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Less virus prone, highly stable, and free

• "Some of the main features of this solution are it is less prone to viruses since most viruses are written for Microsoft software, and it is easy to use."
  • "They can keep improving the solution's ability to be adopted by users by adding features, such as better tutorials and integration into the system."

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution as an operating system.

What is most valuable?

Some of the main features of this solution are it is less prone to viruses since most viruses are written for Microsoft software, and it is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

In a future release, from a user perspective, they should allow the integration of Microsoft Office or other business solutions. There are free tools available but I think these solutions would allow for better business adoption.

I have been using this solution for approximately three years.

The solution is stable.

I have found the solution to be scalable.

I have used Apple OS, Microsoft Window, and most recently started using Linux Mint.

The installation is easy and it takes approximately one hour.

One of the benefits is you can have a dual boot of your system to allow both Ubuntu Linux and Microsoft Windows to be used.

I did the implementation of the solution myself.

This solution is free.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others it is very stable.

I rate Ubuntu Linux an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Ubuntu Linux. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
542,029 professionals have used our research since 2012.
HG
Director of Linux Platform Software Institute at a consumer goods company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Security is the main advantage when using this solution

• "The security is very good."
  • "The user interface needs to be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for Ubuntu is as a Linux operating system.

What is most valuable?

The security features are what I find most valuable. It is very secure by default.

What needs improvement?

I think that the Ubuntu user interface should be improved. It could be simplified. We have not seen any real improvement in the last kernel, which we expected to happen with the latest release.

But the user interface should be improved because it is not very user-friendly.

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for five years.

The product is stable. We do not have problems with downtime.

We have hundreds of people using the solution and we do not see a problem with scalability. Most of these people are end-users. I think six of those people are administrators to help to maintain the product.

The technical support is okay. We do not have to get in touch with them often but when you need them the support is there.

I think that the initial setup was easy.

It is not very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend Linux Ubuntu. It is a good solution.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst andten is the best, I would rate the product as an eight-out-of-ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: distributor
TL
Head of Security at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Open source, configurable, robust, and free

• "Some of the highlighted valuable features are that is based on Linux, configurable, functional, and robust."
  • "Better integration between the interface of the software and the operating system itself would be a benefit in the future."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for internal application deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

Our SmartVista solution is based on Debian Linux, that is really similar to Ubuntu.

What is most valuable?

Some of the highlighted valuable features are that is based on Linux, configurable, functional, and robust.

What needs improvement?

Test automation and application maintenance could be improved.

I have been using the solution for 17 years.

The solution is stable, it is based on 20 years of history.

I have found it to be scalable.

The solution is open source and has no technical support.

Yes, Red Hat 4, SuSe 6.3, . . . .fro the 90s. Because of functionality and easier management

It is a free product.

What other advice do I have?

Since I have been using the solution for a long time I have used many version. Currently, I use 20.04, and previously versions 18.04 and 16.04. I would advise others to trust in open source solutions, they are really configurable and do not give up too early.

I would recommend this product.

I rate Ubuntu Linux an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

LE
Head, Information Systems and Technology at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Free and open source enterprise solution

• "For us, OpenStack is awesome. We want something that will be much simpler than a broad and complicated solution."
  • "In terms of what could be improved, I would say management and storage. Mostly, the storage mechanism."

What is our primary use case?

We pretty much use it to run everything that we have at the moment.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, I would say management and storage. Mostly, the storage mechanism. There have been some subsequent versions that have improved on this. But I'm talking about the version that we are currently running. We are aware that there have been some subsequent versions that have addressed this challenge.

I have been using Ubuntu Linux between six and 10 years, and I joined the company about three years ago.

In terms of stability, it has been very stable.

Because the version we are running is the community version, we are on our own. We rely on information available in the community to address support cases. I heard that there was going to be some training at some point. For now, we pretty much manage it by ourselves. But we've not really had any cause for support. Because of how very broad the solution is, you need some substantial budgets to be able to manage it.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten I would rate Ubuntu Linux an eight.

Off the top of my head, I would advise to check out the management of the storage.

Also, the UI can always be improved.

Private Cloud
JC
Assistant Researcher at CNRS
Stable, good package management functionality, and it is easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

I primarily used Ubuntu Linux as a DNS server. I was running other types of servers, as well.

What is most valuable?

What I like best is the way in which packages are managed.

What needs improvement?

I don't like the graphical interface in Ubuntu and it should be better.

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for more than 15 years.

All Linux systems, including Ubuntu, are stable.

This is a scalable product. We have more than 100 Linux users.

The support available for Ubuntu is okay.

Prior…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

What I like best is the way in which packages are managed.

What needs improvement?

I don't like the graphical interface in Ubuntu and it should be better.

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for more than 15 years.

All Linux systems, including Ubuntu, are stable.

This is a scalable product. We have more than 100 Linux users.

The support available for Ubuntu is okay.

Prior to Ubuntu, I worked with Sun Unix for servers.

I have made the switch to using CentOS primarily because of the interface. It is more lightweight than Ubuntu.

The initial setup and installation are easy, and not difficult to complete. It should not take more than 15 minutes to deploy.

Our in-house team of two engineers is responsible for deployment and maintenance.

Ubuntu Linux is open-source and available to use free of charge.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good operating system and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

IR
Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable, simple, and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

I am using it for the desktop system. I have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is stable and quite easy to use as compared to other Linux operating systems. They have created a system like Windows. It is simple and without any problems.

What needs improvement?

When you upgrade the core of this operating system, it can crash. This is the only problem I had. It needs more stable upgrades.

I have been using this solution for a few years.

For desktop, we don't need it to be scalable. Currently, it is for personal use, and there is only one user.

I have not used their technical support.…

What is our primary use case?

I am using it for the desktop system. I have its latest version.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for a few years.

I have not used their technical support. Ubuntu probably has a lot of documents, but I never had to read something about it. I have used CentOS for dozens of years, so Ubuntu seems simple to me.

We use CentOS for our web servers.

It is very simple. It took less than half an hour.

Usually, I do it by myself, and it is very simple.

It is free.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Ubuntu Linux for other users who want to start using it.

I would rate Ubuntu Linux a 10 out of 10.

Nhan Tran
Data & AI expert at One Mount Group
Highly stable, easy to install, and scalable

• "The solution is very stable, it does not need to restart to maintain stability."
  • "The solution could improve by being more user-friendly, you need to know how to use the command-line interface which you might not understand."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution as a hosting system, processing machine for my machine learning model, and for running applications.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by being more user-friendly, you need to know how to use the command-line interface which you might not understand.

I have been using this solution for approximately three years.

The solution is very stable, it does not need to restart to maintain stability.

Ubuntu Linux is scalable.

We have approximately 25 people using the solution in my organization.

I use Microsoft Windows Server.

The installation is straightforward, it takes less than 10 minutes.

I did the implementation of the solution.

We have a team of five engineers that do the Ubuntu Linux server maintenance.

The use of the solution is inexpensive and the hardware it needs to operate can be priced very low. There is not a license for the solution but there is for the hardware.

What other advice do I have?

Ubuntu Linux is the perfect solution for us. If they make the solution more user-friendly it will cost more overall. The current version is best.

I rate Ubuntu Linux a nine out of ten.

Download our free Ubuntu Linux Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.