Ubuntu Linux Overview

Ubuntu Linux is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top OpenStack tools. It is most often compared to Oracle Linux: Ubuntu Linux vs Oracle Linux

What is Ubuntu Linux?
Super-fast, easy to use and free, the Ubuntu operating system powers millions of desktops, netbooks and servers around the world.

Ubuntu Linux is also known as Ubuntu.

Ubuntu Linux Buyer's Guide

Download the Ubuntu Linux Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Ubuntu Linux Customers
Samsung, eBay, AT&T, Walmart, Cisco, Time Warner Cable, Bloomberg, Best Buy, Dell, Intel, Microsoft, Ericsson, Orange, Wells Fargo

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Owner at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Scalability and expanding capacity are easily done in a short amount of time

What is our primary use case?

I used it before on my laptop, and I was quite happy with it. I had to change back to Windows 8 when we got a new product which is not supported by Linux. To show our product to our customers, I had to go back to Windows. I still have an older laptop which is using the Ubuntu version on it. I am still quite happy with it. I have not had so many compatibility problems between Ubuntu and Windows as I have had with Mac.

• "If there is a virus going into the network, it has to pass through an Ubuntu server, which can't be infected by the virus. So, there are less viruses on our systems."
  • "An easier to configure firewall would be a good add-on."

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: sales support.
Consultor at Scitum
​Old equipment works for at least two or three years more

What is our primary use case?

* Surprised with the better use of resources for old machines. * The GUI is easy and friendly. * The environment was a test machine with Intel i586 (recommended).

• "Use of the tools for systems and software to test functionalities."
  • "The integration with other applications, like Chrome or Firefox, works excellent for users navigating and test browsing."
  • "Developing more applications for businesses could work better, but that is not part of the OS piece. Let the developers work on other apps, therefore the needs for consuming less memory do not affect the performance of this OS version."
Learn what your peers think about Ubuntu Linux. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.
System Engineer
Provides a cheap, stable server for our DevOps team, using standards we can easily apply

• "RTO with the use of templating support for VMware for fast deployment of recovery or new systems, with the least amount work needed on custom settings, within application installed from install repositories. Shorter overall time with the vetted packages. Normally install and go."
  • "Stability of our systems has only improved since moving from CentOS to Ubuntu LTS."

What other advice do I have?

We are a non-profit consumer with a small budget, hence the need for a stable, low-cost server to provide services to our users. While I would recommend Ubuntu LTS (stable v16.04.3 at time of this review) try other distros to see how long it takes to deploy, and how much tweaking it will take to implement your project.
    IT Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Updates on packages are the main reason that I use this solution

What other advice do I have?

Ubuntu is a very stable Linux. I highly recommend it.
    Founder and CEO at a tech services company
    I need to upload a large amount of data and they do not charge me for traffic.

What other advice do I have?

It works like the others, but it seems cheaper. If you´re looking for a robust implementation, then go with AWS.
    Independent Analyst and Advisory Consultant at Server StorageIO - www.storageio.com

What other advice do I have?

Do a proof of concept (POC), scaling as large as you can as close to your intended production environment. If needed, use Google, AWS, Azure or some other cloud to do the POC in. Look for several things in your POC including what are the hardware performance and resource (CPU, memory, I/O, SSD) dependencies, how easy to manage, tune, troubleshoot along with resiliency. For example, fail nodes and see how system recovers as well as what you need to do to support the environment. Don’t be scared of Ceph, be prepared and informed, use it where it makes sense and is capable of meeting your needs…
    Senior Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    The package manager is easy to use & the OS supports a lot of hardware that enabled us to bring back to life old equipment and do more with less. It's ability to manage thousands of Servers seamlessly

What other advice do I have?

If you are going to implement this platform then you must run a new installation rather than upgrade any other distro's. This is to avoid garbage in and garbage out.
    Senior Developer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    The initial setup experience was the best of all other distributions.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it if you need al Linux based server. Just start downloading it and using it. It is free.
    Security Expert at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    I don't have to switch between multiple OS for my work.

What other advice do I have?

MATE Desktop is most suited if you want to run Ubuntu 16 in a virtual environment.
    Associate System Administrator at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
    Allows package management and customization.

What is most valuable?

Package management Stability Customization

How has it helped my organization?

Using LAMP services really improves all of the infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

Patch management.

We have been using this solution for six years.

I did not encounter any issues with deployment.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Customer Service: I have not used customer service. Technical Support: I have not used technical support.

Which

IT Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Review about Ubuntu Linux

What is most valuable?

1. stable 2. easy upgradable 3. secure 4. light

How has it helped my organization?

I always use it at home.

What needs improvement?

Backoffice tools should be improved: xls and doc files should be edited with light and faster tools.

15 years

Customer Service: Not applicable. Technical Support: Not applicable.

First I used Fedora. I switched for stability reasons.

What about the

Senior Consultant IT Infrastructure at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    Since it provides LTS releases with 5 years of support, you can have longer server lifecycles without having to worry about security patches.

What other advice do I have?

Try Ubuntu. Seriously. If you are looking for a good Linux distribution with a large community and lots of packages, Ubuntu is the way to go. However, if you need management tools (e.g. for automated installation, patch management etc.) you might have to invest some time in getting open-source projects involved or by writing your own solutions (if you don't want to use Landscape).
    Informatico aziendale at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's a very stable, quality OS, but big changes are in store from the Unity7 environment to Unity8.

What other advice do I have?

Don't be afraid. Try it, it's free, you can try it on your PC without installing it, and there is a big community of users for the primary support.
    CEO and FOUNDER with 51-200 employees
    ​They need to allow more Windows software to work with Linux, but we save money by avoiding the need for software purchases and upgrades.
    Download our free Ubuntu Linux Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.