Brad Henderson
Supervisor Automation Development at ConocoPhillips
Helps free up employee time but governance needs improvement

• "The ability to do citizen development is the most valuable feature. That initiative has helped us to expand it because that gives folks that are closer to the business the ability to develop their own solutions that are tailored to what they need to do, as opposed to waiting for someone in IT to contact them to build it out. Or to wait for a business analyst to provide some type of value metric, but they can actually go and build it themselves."
  • "Governance has room for improvement but that's more of a cultural thing. It depends on your company. We have the reference architecture that we have in place, but it's easy for someone to say, "Okay, I need to make an adjustment here outside of that reference architecture." Because it's so easy for them to do that, they leave the company now that a non-compliant bot is out there running a production process, we need to be able to rank that in. There needs to be footwork that we have to do as an organization for my team as opposed to a true problem with the platform."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are in our financial department. We had a bit of a downturn, but we still had work that needed to be completed. So we developed several automations to manage a lot of the financial work and a lot of our payment processing systems. We expanded that out to include more of our traders' work processes, just because we saw there were a lot of workloads coming in and a lot of repetitive work. So we used UiPath to eliminate a lot of that for our commercial traders, then we did the same thing for our operations and production teams so that they have their own automated processes.

We plan on scaling it and using it in more functions.

How has it helped my organization?

Our biggest metrics are in our financial org, they have more of a cost avoidance where we don't have to backfill those positions. It's around $2 million a year because we don't have to bring in personnel to complete the processes.

It has helped solve certain human errors but that's an unintended bonus because we're automating a process as it is that a machine is going to repeat. We don't really have a person to do it.

UiPath has helped to free up employee time. The additional time enabled us to focus on higher-value work. By removing a lot of the repetitive work, it's given them the ability to do more analytics and to dive into the data science realms of their job to do more data-driven analysis of what they're doing.

What is most valuable?

The ability to do citizen development is the most valuable feature. That initiative has helped us to expand it because that gives folks that are closer to the business the ability to develop their own solutions that are tailored to what they need to do, as opposed to waiting for someone in IT to contact them to build it out. Or to wait for a business analyst to provide some type of value metric, but they can actually go and build it themselves.

My job is to actually be the evangelist to these groups. I'd say we've been pretty successful. My developers are working with the citizen developers who help to guide them and to teach them how to build their own automations for their business process.

It's pretty easy to build automation. The no-code process has really driven the adoption by the business people so that they don't have to skill up and learn how to code anything. They only need to know how to click a button and build it out. That's the best component.

We used the UiPath Academy course. It's our training regimen for our business users. We have to introduce them first to the platform and understand how to work through the platform. It's a pretty straightforward and easy course. With our citizen development program, we also have the Academy where they can either do hands-on learning or use the Academy to get some video training as well.

The biggest value of the Academy is the ease of being able to access the training.

What needs improvement?

Governance has room for improvement but that's more of a cultural thing. It depends on your company. We have the reference architecture that we have in place, but it's easy for someone to say, "Okay, I need to make an adjustment here outside of that reference architecture." Because it's so easy for them to do that, they leave the company now that a non-compliant bot is out there running a production process, we need to be able to rank that in. There needs to be footwork that we have to do as an organization for my team as opposed to a true problem with the platform.

We have been using UiPath for around five years now. It's the on-prem version, but we have it deployed in the cloud in our Azure tenant. We started on-prem then we migrated it about three years ago.

It's pretty stable. It's more of the architecture and how it runs because it has to leverage VDIs and as Microsoft releases an update, we have to be watching that process because it'll make the box really brittle. Any change to the UI anywhere will break and that's where we have to step in and fix it.

Every corner of the business except for folks out in the field uses UiPath. It's around 200 people or so.

We've had a little bit of back and forth whenever we have an issue and some of the solutions we got back were pretty boilerplate-type answers. We had an issue with a Microsoft update. They said, "Well, could you potentially reach out to Microsoft and have them let you know."

They're just going to release the update. We need to be a little bit more proactive on the software side. Our account executive took care of it for us. He stepped in and enabled us to not have that response again.

I wasn't there for the initial setup but I heard about it. It was complex, but that was more of a cultural thing.

The deployment took around a year to get that through planning, discovery, and implementation.

Our biggest return is our cost avoidance and not having to backfill personnel.

I think the pricing is comparable. It's fair pricing for the size that we're deploying.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to make sure that you have a really good understanding and a really good culture in your company that understands and wants to get on board with automation because it will require that type of mindset of understanding what you're doing before you do it.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

SM
Sr Consultant at a marketing services firm with 1-10 employees
Saves significant time on manual, mundane, and repetitive processes for our clients

• "The most valuable aspect is the different capabilities and features that can be applied to different processes."
  • "I would like to have a guidebook of examples that help me to determine the feasibility of specific use cases, based on the tools and the features that are out there."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Orchestrator, Studio, attended and unattended robots.

I am on the business analyst side, so I do not have much experience with Orchestrator.

We are using this solution to automate processes for our clients. They typically have mundane processes or something that's super repetitive, that we're able to quickly automate for them and see that return. We did do an attended bot with them as well, to improve their call center.

With respect to how easy it is to automate our company's processes, on a scale of one to five, I would say it's a four. This is a rating from the business side, as opposed to the development side. We understand what the features are, and when new releases come out we have an understanding of what's feasible. I am not rating it a five because sometimes we do not know whether a use case is feasible or not. It means that I may have to speak to one of the developers to see whether it can be done with the tools and the features that are out there.

We host the UiPath Academy RPA training every other month for our clients. I have not taken the full course, but on a scale from one to five, I would rate it a five. This is based on the number of people who sign up for it and look forward to attending it, just to learn the basics of RPA.

In terms of how long it takes from purchasing a UiPath license until having the first robot, the average is probably four weeks. It depends on the complexity of the process.

How has it helped my organization?

We have helped our customers to reduce some of their manual work, but they also benefit by freeing up their time to use elsewhere. Some of the processes we have automated have people spending hours locked up trying to finish.

It is also that we are improving areas such as the production line, or even automating some of their dashboard reporting to get more accurate information a lot quicker. We've been able to help cut that down but then also provide accurate data, and faster as well.

With respect to saving time, this fiscal year we were at seventy thousand hours saved across the enterprise. That is significant and has been across different departments and different regions, as well.

In terms of eliminating human errors, we do not have an exact calculation. We do get a lot of good feedback about the bot's performance doing well.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect is the different capabilities and features that can be applied to different processes. I don't consider one particular feature more valuable than the others because they are all relevant to what the need is.

What needs improvement?

With respect to the stability, on a scale from one to five, I would rate this solution a five. I haven't had much in the way of negative experience with it.

There are approximately two thousand people working on RPA across the firm. On my current project, we are a team of about sixteen people at our client's site.

I cannot say for a specific client, but I do know that our clients are constantly looking for what's out there. Whether it is from banking, automotive, or retail, they want to know what they can do to improve their firm or their company. RPA has been on the rise in the last three years, so I would say they want to be able to get hours back and save time so that they can allocate resources elsewhere. They are always looking for a tool out there that'll save them money and time.

In regards to ROI, we track it upfront. We have asked for the information to assess if a candidate process is a good use case. Then we track it in our dashboard throughout the year just to ensure that we are actually calculating the hours correctly. We'll then follow up to make sure that they are seeing those changes and they are receiving those hours saved. We have found that over the year, they are seeing a return on investment.

We track data in terms of money savings that the tool provides. I don't have the dollar amounts, but I can say that there are some processes where we have saved $50,000 USD just on a single process. It really varies on the complexity of the process and the time it would take to complete without automation.

I have worked with other tools and I see them as pretty similar.

My experience is with Blue Prism and Automation Anywhere. I'm not developing, so I don't have any details on the tool itself. My preference for UiPath is based on what seems to be the goal, and what is easier to understand. It rolls out more features and newer features, faster.

What other advice do I have?

I am looking forward to trying the new UiPath Connect feature. I have seen the demo and it seems like that would be helpful for my role, specifically being on the business side. It is able to assess the use cases and determine what percentage they are RPA-able. I think that it will be super helpful.

My advice to anybody who is researching this solution is to try UiPath Academy Live first before they invest in the tool. This will allow them to get a better understanding of how it works, and get familiar with the services provided.

Sometimes I have questions. If I didn't have any questions then I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Overall, I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about UiPath. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,608 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Veera Appana
Associate Consultant at Capgemini
User-friendly interface, saves us time and money, and the support is good

• "In addition to savings in time and cost, UiPath further saves us money because of the reduction in human error."
  • "Many of the features that UiPath has are good, although better documentation is required for them."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution to automate business processes that are rule-based. This includes the automation of different applications and background processes, such as posting invoices.

How has it helped my organization?

UiPath makes it very easy to develop automations. The interface is user-friendly and makes it easy to perform operations or use services, whether it is a database or another product. We can perform tasks on Microsoft Azure, for example. Many operations can be completed using inbuilt packages.

For whatever activity we want to perform, it only involves using the drag-and-drop capability, so it is easy to do. Anybody can do it. No programming-specific knowledge, like .NET, is required.

It is easy to develop custom components, which makes life easier.

UiPath allows us to implement end-to-end automation starting with the process analysis and ending with the monitoring. This is important to us because for any new process that we identify, using the task capture methods helps us to gather the documents that are required to automate it. After we develop the automation in Studio, we can easily monitor it using Orchestrator. It is helpful to have a complete solution from start to end, with all of the features that it has.

Using automation means that we increase our process output with minimal effort, which is something that every company wants to do because there is a saving in terms of manpower. It is definitely helpful in our organization.

The amount of time or cost savings depends on the process. For example, some processes that take four or five people to complete can be done using a single bot. Also, people can only work six or seven hours a day, whereas, with automation, the bot can run 24 hours a day. Not only is the process done more quickly but at less cost.

Attended automation has helped to scale RPA benefits because we have some scenarios where human collaboration is required. These are business-critical processes, so any level of automation is important for us.

In addition to savings in time and cost, UiPath further saves us money because of the reduction in human error. When a human is performing a task, mistakes happen. When the bots are used, there are no errors and when the number of mistakes is reduced, the business has more income.

UiPath has helped to speed up digital transformation, although hosting it requires IT support. For example, if UiPath needs to be updated or our infrastructure needs to be expanded, then it requires the help of IT support.

What is most valuable?

One of the things that I like is that they keep adding new features, such as machine learning models. For example, if you are reading a PDF copy of an invoice then the RPA should be able to identify and understand it. Rather than using rules to identify different formats for different kinds of invoices, machine learning and AI should be involved.

We are using the AI functionality and it gives us the ability to have more automation, saving more time and manual effort, and at less cost. This is possible because UiPath provides pre-built and pre-trained AI models that we can import, depending on the use case.

Some of the processes we have implemented are very complex, and these are the ones that we need AI for. Some of them involve human interaction and cover use cases such as taking different formats of invoices and pushing them to SAP. We have had good success when working with the machine learning capabilities.

The Action Center and Task Manager are very good for business users. The features are helpful because these days, business users are expecting more than a simple rule-based operation in RPA systems.

UiPath Studio integrates well with third-party tools such as Git. It is easy to maintain code from within Studio.

What needs improvement?

I have been using UiPath for three years.

I have had issues with previous versions but the latest updates have resolved my problems. As of now, the stability is very good.

Scalability is very good in UiPath.

We have five UiPath users in our project; one is a lead, another is a manager, there are two developers and a consultant. At this point, I'm not sure if we plan to increase our usage.

I have been in contact with technical support in the past, and I would rate them a ten out of ten. They respond very nicely and help to resolve our problems.

When we deploy processes, it takes about half an hour. It varies depending on the process but half an hour is the average per activity.

UiPath is easy to maintain and support. We have a support team and QA teams, and they are responsible for monitoring the processes and the bots. They will check the activities that take place in production.

The number of staff required for maintenance depends on the architecture that the client has.

The licensing model is very good.

We chose UiPath because it is more flexible and has better licensing terms than some competing products.

What other advice do I have?

We use some third-party tools in conjunction with UiPath. For example, to maintain the code and for versioning control, we use Git. We have two or three years of experience with Git and not only is it compatible with UiPath, but it is also easy to use.

My advice for anybody who is implementing UiPath is to start with the documentation. There is a lot of good documentation that includes best practices and plenty of examples. Using the documentation, one can easily learn UiPath.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

KF
Health Systems Specialist at a government with 10,001+ employees
Doubles productivity in records processing with high industry compliance

• "An example of how this product has improved the way our organization functions is that it has doubled the number of records that we process per hour."
  • "We have had some problems with processing errors, but these are largely due to our legacy system and UiPath is working to help resolve the issue."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Studio, the Orchestrator, and both unattended and attended bots. We are using the product primarily to index and process patient records into patient charts when records come in from outside sources.

How has it helped my organization?

An example of how this product has improved the way our organization functions is that it has doubled the number of records that we process per hour.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the unattended bots. They are valuable because records come in automatically from the vendor with a cover sheet, and that cover sheet has a QR (Quick Response) code. An unattended bot will take the record, and based on the code can index it and upload it to the patient's record with no human intervention.

On a scale from one to five where one is not stable and five is very stable, I would rate the stability of the UiPath platform as three right now. There are some nuances in it that are throwing some error codes when reading the QR codes. But we are in the process of working with UiPath to get that issue corrected.

Right now we have about five people in our organization involved in the automation program. We can expand that as necessary.

Our team used UiPath Academy RPA training. Two of the individuals on the team have gotten their certifications.

On a scale from one to five where one is the least beneficial and five is the most beneficial, I would rate the UiPath Academy as a four. The team really liked it. The two people that have certification are our two main developers. They had been doing their academy in concurrence with our deployment while they are still working on the project. They both said the academy has been very helpful.

We also have a customer support person dedicated to us. They call them Customer Success Managers. We use them and then we have also had to reach out to the home office in Romania. They are working on a solution for us right now. The service, on the whole, is very good.

I was part of the decision process in choosing UiPath as our RPA solution. We had not previously been using another solution but knew that we needed to invest in one because we looked at our employees' overtime records. We were paying for overtime and did not see the need to just for scanning and indexing. A bot can run 24/7, so the bot takes care of processes that can be automated instead.

The initial setup process was complicated because of us and the requirements of our organization. It was not because of UiPath. But even with those complications, from the time we purchased the UiPath license until we had our first robot in production took only about three months.

We did not use an integrator, reseller, or consultant for the deployment. We used internal staff and the UiPath engineers helped us along.

On a scale from one to five where one is very bad and five is excellent. I would rate our experience with UiPath as a five. They have been very responsive and have given us engineering support at no cost. They seemingly did that just to ensure that we were successful.

We are starting to see a return on investment. It has only taken us about a month to realize that. Basically, we have seen a performance benefit. Where it was taking a human about an hour to do ten records, we have estimated that we are going to be able to up that count to about 80 records an hour. One of the humans that is doing the manual part of it has already said that the product has helped double their workflow. The solution has also helped to eliminate human error by approximately 85%. I would say that it is going to save us at least 40 hours a week right now. I also think that is a conservative estimate.

For our licensing cost with this solution we have invested $90,000 right now, but that is to cover several facilities. The UiPath solution is not expensive considering that.

UiPath was the only RPA solution we looked at. They are TRM (Technology Reference Model) approved and they appeared to have the best platform.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to five where one is very difficult and five is very easy, I would rate the ease-of-use of the platform for automating our company's processes as a four. The UiPath product has fit our model the best. Number one, because in the VA (Veterans Affairs) hospitals the RPA solution has to be TRM approved and not all RPA solutions are. They have also been very helpful because we have a little bit of a unique system. There are some nuances in an older system that we are still using that can not be changed at the moment. They have helped us work around those issues and they have provided the technical support that we needed.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best. I would rate the product overall as a nine. From everything that I've heard from the staff, the ease-of-use and the effectiveness of it are really good.

If I were to give advice to a colleague at another company who is researching RPAs, I would tell them to go with UiPath because of the product and the culture of the company. I think the culture of the company is one of the reasons that you are going to ensure that you will be successful.

AF
Process System Administrator at Rich products
Good training and helpful activities in Studio are helping to restore value-added time for our employees

• "The most valuable features of Studio are all of the activities that UiPath and their partners have developed."
  • "If there was a little more flexibility with the selectors, and they were a little bit more adaptive, I think it would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Studio and the attended robots, but we haven't implemented Orchestrator yet.

Our primary use is to automate tasks within the accounts receivable, accounts payable, and trade settlement realm that we work in. We're also getting into some more internal audit automation.

We run automations in Windows Virtual Machines. It was a long process for us to get started, getting our IS to buy into letting us set up this environment and get started with it.

With respect to how easy it is to automate our company's processes, on a scale of one to five, I would rate this solution a two or three. They offer upfront training, the UiPath Academy, and that makes it easier but you still need to have a technical mindset to understand it, as it is now.

We have all used the Academy. On a scale of one to five, judging how beneficial it is, I would rate the training a five. It's a great experience and very beneficial.

From the point that we purchased our UiPath license until we had our first robot was approximately six months. It took us a while because we had a bunch of other projects in front of getting our first automation. The process was hard, although it was not complicated. The approval process involved going through a security review.

How has it helped my organization?

We have not found that our automations have saved us money, yet. However, it's giving people back the time so that they can do more value-added work.

With respect to saving time, we have just measured the out rate. We're probably saving thirty hours a week with what we have going now, so almost one FTE.

This solution has absolutely helped reduce or eliminate human errors, although I cannot estimate by how much at this time.

Using this solution has definitely increased the confidence and communication that we have between departments because we're saving a lot of department time, and they can focus on their value-added tasks. With this, they're a lot more willing to work with us, and they're happier employees.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The biggest problem that we have when working with this solution is the selectors. If there was a little more flexibility with the selectors, and they were a little bit more adaptive, I think it would be helpful.

With respect to the stability, on a scale from one to five, I would rate this solution four and a half to five. We haven't had any problems.

Currently, we have twelve automations running.

In our organization, we have three people directly doing automation and design work. There are probably six or seven more than are trying to get the larger enterprise into UiPath and get their departments set up with it.

The technical support for this solution is excellent. They got back to me really quickly and provided the solutions that I needed. It was very helpful.

We were not using another RPA solution prior to this one. In deciding to invest in this technology, we recognized that people were doing a lot of tedious processes and that we can make better use of their time.

Huron Consulting assisted us with the implementation and deployment, and they were very helpful. On a scale from one to five, I would rate them a five.

We have been asked to start measuring for tracking ROI but have not yet begun. However, I can say informally that we have seen performance benefits. People are very happy with the things we've automated so far and they're just glad to be relieved of some of that tedious work.

Right now we only have a couple of Studio licenses and a couple of bots, so we're at about $8,000 USD per year. We're hoping to ramp that up pretty soon.

We evaluated Blue Prism and Automation Anywhere before choosing this solution.

One of the major reasons that we chose UiPath was because they gave a free trial at the time when we were looking at it, and none of the other vendors did. Then they also have the UiPath Academy, which allowed us to look at it first and then learn how to use it before we actually had to make an investment.

What other advice do I have?

From a cost perspective, the unattended robots are going to be of more benefit because they can run twenty-four hours a day. At the same time, the attended robots are pretty affordable. I think we're coming up with more use cases where people have it on their desktop and want to be able to run it on demand. We have definitely benefited from both types of robots.

We are looking forward to some of the new features that are going to be released. One of them is in the UI, where you can document what your processes have and figure out if any have the potential for automation. That is going to be very helpful.

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to first speak with a partner. If someone is new and hasn't been in this space before, it's going to be kind of confusing and they're going to need somebody to guide them it setting it up.

This is a really great product and there's a lot of potential for it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Brian Schall
Project Manager at MidAmerican Energy Holdings Company
Gives us the ability to have an agile development group to do automation without relying on IT but we've had issues with stability

• "The ability to automate processes allows the opportunity to allocate resources differently."
  • "The bots do not seem stable and we spend a lot of time fixing things that break."

What is our primary use case?

I'd say our finance applications, like accounts payable, have been our biggest use cases for this solution.

What is most valuable?

I would say just the ability to be able to go outside of the IT department in our organization to get things done and have a sort of agile group to do automation. It is difficult to get IT involved in this type of thing in our organization. So being able to have our own agile group is beneficial for us.

Another thing that is valuable is that I think it's just saved a lot of our finance and customer service people a lot of manual time on processes. We are just able to involve a lot more value-added work.

What needs improvement?

I really liked the insights dashboard. I guess that there is an additional fee for that. Being able to see your return on investment in real-time is definitely beneficial. We spend a lot of time manually calculating how many hours we saved and that would make it a lot easier. The improvement I want is already there. I have to look into implementing it.

The area of the solution that has room for improvement is the stability of the bots. It just seems like we have spent a lot of time trying to fix bots that are down and whether that is our coding or the product. I think there must be a better way to diagnose the issues and avoid them.

On a scale from one to five, five being the most stable, I would rate the stability of the UiPath platform as a three. We've had a lot of issues with bot stability. I don't know if it is how we go about development or if it is the platform itself, but we spend too much time trying to fix all the bots that seem to be breaking.

I have not used technical support personally but our IT group has. Everything I have heard about the customer services group has been positive.

I have used the UiPath Academy RPA training. On a scale from one to five where one is the least beneficial and five is the most, I would rate the UiPath Academy as a four out of five. I'm not an IT person, so would have given it a five if I was. Parts of the training may have been more advanced than I expected.

We had a lot of archaic processes in our company — a lot of paper-based processes — so we knew we needed a better solution. That meant we had to work through a lot of processes and re-engineer what we were doing. We knew that we needed to move in the direction of automation because the processes were just not sustainable. We had processes but we did not actually have an automation solution until we started using UiPath.

The initial setup for the product was something I found to be a bit complicated. At least the first couple were pretty complicated. It was just that we were all new to the technology and we didn't really know necessarily what we were doing. It is getting better. From the time we purchased the UiPath license until we had your first robot in production, I think we took about three months.

We did you use an integrator. It was EY Technologies (Ernest & Young). They helped us out a lot and our experience with them was good.

We have certainly seen a return on investment. As far as how many months it took to see real value, I think we just crossed that threshold. So it was about twelve months in total. We have probably saved — just at our platform — around $100,000. The solution has also helped to eliminate human errors with a couple of the bots that we've deployed for sure. It has also saved our organization time. If I had to estimate, I'd say probably 8,000 hours a year so far.

We looked at Blue Prism, Automation Anywhere, and UiPath. We kind of landed on UiPath because it just seemed like it was a little easier to navigate than the other ones from a user experience.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, we do not run any of our bots in a virtual environment and we use only untended bots so far. Either of those situations could change at any time. We have a couple of processes that we are looking at for attended processes, but we haven't implemented any yet.

We have about five people involved directly in the initiative. On a scale from one to five where one is very difficult and five is very easy, I would rate the ease of use the platform for automating as a four. It is a four because I would say it takes a little time to kind of get up and rolling for a developer, but it is not too bad.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product a seven. We have just had some issues with keeping bots up and running. I feel like the issue is the learning curve.

The advice I would give to a colleague at another company who is researching this solution is to just do it. Make sure you know what processes you are going to want to automate. If you need to do standardized anything in the processes, do that on the front end in the planning stages versus kind of chasing your tail on the back end.

MP
Senior RPA and AI at Bertelsmann
Savings in time and money helps us compete with services offered by lower-cost countries

• "The most valuable feature of unattended robots is that they are always available."
  • "We would like to see improvements in Studio such as syntax highlighting and documentation functionality for audit purposes."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Orchestrator, attended robots, and unattended robots.

Our primary use case for this solution is in the financial industry.

We do not yet run our automations in a virtual environment.

With respect to how easy it is to automate our company's processes, on a scale of one to five, I would rate this solution a four. The whole interface needs some TLC because it can be a bit tricky.

We have used the UiPath training and it has improved a lot since we first tried it. When I used it a while ago, it had its problems. I think it came due to the fact that it was not developed by native English speakers. For example, they had questions that were simply wrong. It has improved a lot and now it is beneficial. I think that the biggest challenge is for them to stay up to date.

From the point that we purchased our UiPath license until we had our first robot was approximately four and a half months.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has saved us time, but more importantly, it has saved us money by not paying certain fees or certain penalties. With respect to saving money, the last amount that I saw was six figures. Legally, I am not allowed to say more.

Being in the finance business and having certain audits, this solution helps to make sure that we have validations and checks in place to help us to do our processing quicker. Also, with invoices, normally when you pay them by a certain date you get a certain discount. So, we've managed to significantly increase the savings we get just from having invoices processed earlier or on time.

In terms of eliminating human errors, we have one process where we've eliminated errors completely. The average is that we eliminate errors by fifty to sixty percent.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature in Orchestrator is the scalability.

What needs improvement?

They have added a lot of new features over the past months, and things are a little more complicated. In the interface, sometimes you just have the screen full of windows and figuring out what goes where can be a bit tricky.

We would like to see improvements in Studio such as syntax highlighting and documentation functionality for audit purposes. That would be great.

With respect to the stability, on a scale from one to five, I would rate this solution a four. There are a couple of things that break the robots, and it has to do with the technology itself. The user interface and other components are prone to error, and it's not one hundred percent automation. This is something that you take into consideration when you do RPA. They have also had a couple of updates over the past years where they made significant changes that basically broke the robots.

We have more than a hundred people involved with RPA.

So far, I have only used the ticketing through email support, and it is sometimes frustrating. I've only just learned that there is telephone support. It is hard for me to rate customer service because I was looking for telephone support, thinking that it was not available.

In general, there is room for improvement support-wise.

We are in an industry that is heavily targetted by low-cost countries, so in order for us to stay competitive, we had to do something. When we did our research, the two obvious solutions were RPA and AI.

When we started, it was with Blue Prism, and we learned from the issues we had. When we were looking at what we could do as an AI, UiPath started to emerge and started to become a big player. We then looked at capabilities and the licensing model, and at the time there were two vendors that had pretty similar capabilities.

These two were Automation Anywhere and UiPath. Automation Anywhere had a very high initial investment requirement and UiPath didn't, which is why we stayed with UiPath. I believe that you had to buy at least a hundred licenses for Automation Anywhere, whereas with UiPath you can buy one or two.

It looks like we made the right choice.

The initial setup of UiPath was straightforward. The approvals on our side slowed things down. If it were not for that then we could have been up and running in six weeks.

We implemented the solution ourselves.

We only automate processes where we expect to see ROI within twelve months. As such, most of our processes have an ROI between six and twelve months.

We evaluated Blue Prism and Automation Anywhere before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are in the process of moving this solution to the cloud.

From a cost perspective, it is very hard to get ROI with an attended robot. The price is too high.

My advice to anybody who is researching this solution is not to overthink it. RPA is a technology that you learn by doing it.

This is a very strong product. I think that there is a lot of good investment and a lot of good attention out there. This is the best or one of the two best tools out there. They are listening to what the market wants and just need to be careful not to get greedy. That said, there is always a little bit of space for improvement.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

BP
IT Manager at a mining and metals company with 10,001+ employees

• "The product saves time and effort so employees are spared wasting time on mundane tasks."
  • "Even with drag-and-drop the product is a little difficult to use unless you are a programmer."

What is our primary use case?

We don't have a single primary use case. We use the Orchestrator studio to deploy attended and unattended robots to relieve the workforce of the mundane tasks that they currently do.

What is most valuable?

I don't think there is one most valuable feature. From my viewpoint, Orchestrator is great because I'm able to manage and control the robots and licensing. Obviously Studio is very valuable for our developers because it gives a nice visual way of developing the robots. Of course, the robots themselves do all the work. It is really a package that has to be put together.

What needs improvement?

The Insight product coming out in the next release looks interesting as a management tool, but I haven't dug into it enough to fully appreciate it.

Obviously, the Studio can always be improved. Even though you can drag-and-drop, it's still cumbersome unless you are a programmer. I think the Studio X is going to help tremendously for the citizen developers. I think that is going to be a big benefit in simplifying the interface.

We have been using the product for more than six months.

There are currently four-and-a-half people in the organization involved in the automation project and I think we'll have no problem scaling that up as necessary.

We have used UiPath Academy. In fact, we've actually referred our citizen developers there.

On a scale of one to five where one is the least beneficial and five is very beneficial, I would rate the UiPath Academy about a four. It is specifically for developers, so there is a complexity level there that can take a little bit for say the average user who isn't an expert to get through, but for somebody who's already done development, it's good.

We actually signed up as a premium support member and took out a contract back about four months ago. Christopher Wilkins is our liaison and he's phenomenal. Absolutely any time I called Christopher, he has gone out of his way to help us. He's our success manager.

From the time of purchase to deployment took about six months total. We did a quick prototype that I had spent two months to get it up and running and then it took me six months to clean it up.

I thought that the implementation was complicated but that was because they did the prototype and then handed it off and I had to come in and take the prototype and actually make it work in production.

We run the automation in a virtual environment. It was a bit painful to get it all working. We actually use Citrix VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) environment and the problem with that is it uses a storefront. When you log in, it doesn't know which server you're accessing. UiPath had problems with that, so we had to ditch that attempt. What we're doing is we're using the VDI image just to read and chart virtual machines every four months and using those for our UiPath.

We did use a third party. Our experience with them was good and bad. The young man that came in from the Netherlands was extremely bright, but he was all over the place. So he thought he knew how certain things would work and in reality, they did not. So it was painful because instead of having a methodical way of working through the issues, he was jumping about too much and it didn't go very smoothly.

We don't really have exact numbers for the return on investment right now because we are too early into the process. We are still trying to get the whole organization comfortable with the concept. But you can see the processes have helped reduce human error in the finance area. It has also saved our organization time. Anytime you don't have a person doing the manual work, they can go on to do better things with their time.

What other advice do I have?

I inherited a bit of a mess. On a scale from one to five where one is very difficult and five is very easy, I would rate the ease of use of the platform for automation as about a three. Most of the problem is with the processes themselves having not been streamlined. So if there is a bad process in place and we still have to automate it, it will still be a bad process.

On the other hand, we do experience performance benefits using the solution. For mundane processes, the people who no longer have to do them because they are automated are extremely happy about that. The benefits were almost immediate. If we had somebody wasting three to four hours producing a single report that we can have a robot do, it's an immediate benefit.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as a nine or ten. I think the product is tremendous. We're still early in the process. As we get into AI, I think it's going to be a tremendous benefit.

My advice to anyone looking into this as a solution is to let somebody else do the deployment. You really have to make sure you understand the infrastructure required to properly scale up the solution. Make sure that you have senior management on board with the concept and then work hard to get citizen champions out there as soon as you can.

Private Cloud
Download our free UiPath Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.