Patrick Graf Von Hardenberg
Senior IT Project Manager at Otto group
Orchestrator is easy to understand, and Unattended robots save our organization time

• "This solution saves us time in all areas."
  • "In future releases, we would like to see more drag-and-drop, and more out of the box AI."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Studio, Orchestrator, and mostly the unattended bots.

Our primary use for this solution is to give time back to the employees.

We do not run our automations in a virtual environment.

With respect to how easy it is to automate our company's processes, on a scale of one to five, I would rate this solution a five. It's drag-and-drop, and all of the activities are there.

On a scale of one to five, judging how beneficial it is, I would rate the training a four. All of this information there is self-explanatory and it works.

From the point where we started using the demo version, it was a couple of months until our first robot was ready.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has probably helped to eliminate human errors.

I can definitely say that this solution has saved the organization time. With all of the processes together, we have saved one full-time equivalent person.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the unattended automation.

This solution is easy to use and it saves you time.

What needs improvement?

In future releases, we would like to see more drag-and-drop, and more out of the box AI.

We have been using this solution for about two years.

With respect to the stability, on a scale from one to five, I would rate this solution a four. We had some issues where we needed to get in contact with the support, and sometimes, UiPath crashes on our servers.

We have about eight people in our automation group.

Most of the time, the technical support for this solution is very good.

One one occasion, it was not very good. We had a problem with a new version. When we updated to 18.2, the robots stopped working after some time. We had a lot of emails that included session logs. I made it quite clear that it was really important because we were in the beginning phase and the robots had to run. In the end, I fixed the problem by downloading the next version, 18.3. When we asked whether the problem was version-specific, they never got back to us, which isn't very good.

We did not use another RPA solution before this one.

From the external consultants, we got the idea that RPA has the possibility to save us time and money, so we decided to do it.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward. Orchestrator is easy to understand. You can connect the virtual machines to it and then run the robots.

In the beginning, we used a consultant from Roboyou to assist us with the process. Our experience with them was good.

We recognize ROI in terms of performance benefits as soon as a process is automated and an employee can do something else that is more meaningful. It is not a benefit listed on a spreadsheet, but the employees are happier.

Our licensing fees for this solution are €68,000 (approximately $75,000 USD) yearly.

Two years ago, we evaluated Automation Anywhere and Blue Prism, in addition to UiPath. UiPath was the best overall solution then, and it still is now. It has a big community, and you can download the demo versions to start testing immediately.

What other advice do I have?

This solution saves us time in all areas. We don't keep track of exactly what we have saved in terms of time, but we can say that we have more customer experience. If somebody has a mundane task and wants it automated then we do it.

My solution for anybody researching RPA solutions is to try UiPath. When you want to start, it is easy to register and get going.

This is a good solution and it saves us time, but there is always a path for improvement.

Mattia Mezzacapo
RPA Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Saves time, integrates well with Microsoft applications, fast and high-quality technical support

• "UiPath has the simplest low-code user interface that I've seen in my professional life."
  • "If you don't change the name of the activity manually then you will lose some information during logging. It would be useful to put a simple incremental ID on each activity, so even if you don't change the activity name, you will know where the process becomes stuck."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is the automation of many reports, dashboards, and tables that were created manually by some of my colleagues. The tasks involve collecting information from SAP Solution Manager, manipulating some of the data based on business rules that have been implemented, and then storing the data in a specific way that can be used in the next part of the workflow. This includes using Excel and the aim is to create a PDF report that is sent to the top business line managers.

UiPath is the perfect tool to implement a solution like this, with continuous operative tasks between Microsoft native applications such as Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.

How has it helped my organization?

Before our UiPath implementation, the organization spent approximately two junior FTE on these tasks, and another 0.2 senior-level FTE in order to guide junior resources.

This process runs every day and if these tasks are executed manually, it means that two resources need to be staffed forever. At the end of the project, the organization gained a boost of two FTE saved and released, able to move on to other projects. This produced real value for the organization.

The efficiency of the process was the key success factor.

What is most valuable?

UiPath has the simplest low-code user interface that I've seen in my professional life. You simply drag and drop the activity on the flow, in a clear way, with clear names, and manipulating clear variables/arguments based on parameters. These are the key points in my humble opinion.

The library creation platform is really simple to use. Basically, it works like a normal flowchart application and once you've published packages, you can use and re-use these packages like activities in another workflow.

Last but not least, official Microsoft office integration is really useful, although all of the official integrations are very easy to use.

The UiPath Connect! and UiPath Go! communities come to our support every time we need to implement something challenging.

What needs improvement?

There are features that could be implemented on the coding side; for example, automatically assigning a unique ID for the "activity" used during the flow. As of now, if you use an activity via simple drag and drop, the activity keeps the original name. If you don't change the name of the activity manually then you will lose some information during logging. It would be useful to put a simple incremental ID on each activity, so even if you don't change the activity name, you will know where the process becomes stuck.

During the last update, the connection between robots and the Orchestrator (cloud) changed a lot. It would be a good idea to provide an easy way to use a single type of robot, regardless if it is a standard robot, floating robot, connected user, etc. Basically, have a simpler way to deploy robots in development, testing, and production environments.

I have been working with UiPath since 2017, and I plan to continue.

This product is really stable, and this is true for the on-premises deployment as well as the cloud version.

This solution is really scalable. It can be used in other organizational departments or on other robots in order to boost your automated tasks.

The vendor provides really good support; fast response time and great quality!

UiPath was my first RPA solution.

During the initial setup, care should be taken when configuring the robot connection. If you choose the "modern folder" setup then you could be struggling.

I am part of the vendor team, implementing RPA for other clients.

We have a 300% return on investment.

The price and setup costs need to be supported by a strong business case.

We evaluated Blue Prism, Automation Anywhere, WorkFusion, and Selenium (for web automation).

Hybrid Cloud

Other
Learn what your peers think about UiPath. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Daniel Hartzler
Digital Workforce Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Gives you a technology or ability to build a solution on any legacy system

• "It gives you a technology or ability to build a solution on any legacy system."
  • "VM was on the service for high density. It is finicky at times. The latest release is a lot more stable. However, I've had a two week production outage where DLLs weren't registered and someone from Vegas had to login for eight hours onto the fraud service to work it out. Even though they uninstalled and re-installed it, all the different apps still wasn't working. So, I have lost a bit of faith in it to be honest."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is IP invoice automation.

We are currently using Orchestrator and bots.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives you a technology or ability to build a solution on any legacy system.

What is most valuable?

I love Orchestrator:

• The configuration part
  • The amount of keys
  • Transaction reporting
  • Logs
  • Accessibility on the iPhone.

What needs improvement?

VM was on the service for high density. It is finicky at times. The latest release is a lot more stable. However, I've had a two week production outage where DLLs weren't registered and someone from Vegas had to login for eight hours onto the fraud service to work it out. Even though they uninstalled and re-installed it, all the different apps still wasn't working. So, I  have lost a bit of faith in it to be honest.

I would like to have cloud stuff back in Australia and hosted there. I want everything in SaaS, bots included.

While it has eliminated human errors, it has created other errors.

I would like something that better identifies the processes. If it could watch the computer, then work it out for me, that would be good.

I have been using it since 2016.

Now that I've done an upgrade, it seems to be a lot better. Because I was running high density on the 2016.2 or 2016.3. I had a lot of problems, but I couldn't work out whether or not it was just UiPath or our client app that was timing out. But, we noticed that if you login as console, you have far less issues than if you run high density.

These days, the stability is a four out of five. Back in the day, it wasn't.

In my old organization, 50 to 100 people were involved.

I have a bit of a different issue because at my old company that I just left, I was only paying $3,600 USD per bot. I turned up at my new company, and because of our size, we are paying $8,000 per bot.

The support is not good. I had a two week production outage.

There was a business problem, and we needed to work at how to solve it. The partner was a big driver in this process.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

It took two weeks from the time we purchased our UiPath license until we had our first robot in production.

We used Blackbook.ai, and our experience with them was awesome.

We have seen ROI. The last company that I work for was trying to get 1000 FTEs out the door, and I think that they are already at 60. In Australia, at my current company, we are already at 10 FTEs. Just in Australia, we have save a million dollars, and maybe five million in India.

The reduction of 10 FTEs has saved us time.

At the last place that I worked, it was $700,000 USD.

Everything that I read about Blue Prism suggest that it is too heavy and takes too much development to ramp up.

I looked at Automation Anywhere for the price point, especially for a PoC. Between Blackbook.ai and what I saw already with UiPath, I just thought UiPath was the better option.

What other advice do I have?

Scout it out. I am going to try to work with this company a different way than what I did than last time, e.g., federated.

I would rate the overall product as a nine out of 10. It's an enabler. It seems pretty good. There is a lot of investment and new things.

I would rate the ease of use of the platform as a four out of five. It is pretty easy to use but it is not doing everything for me. I still have to do stuff.

I would rate the UiPath Academy as a four out of five.

AR
Senior Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Intuitive and logical solution that has some of the best training available

• "We're able to handle some of our tax and HR processes, the volumes of the documents or new hires at a tremendous speed compared to how we used to do it manually in the past."
  • "I think in the Studio, as in building automations, it takes a lot of clicks and there's a lot of options and I think sometimes there's just too much. It should be more simplified on the user interface."

What is our primary use case?

We use Studio and Orchestrator. I personally use unattended bots but we're releasing one of the largest attended implementations right now.

For the most part, it's still in the back office, finance, and accounting, that's typically where we've been starting. That's where for me, as an inexperienced developer, is easier for me to get started.

How has it helped my organization?

We're able to handle some of our tax and HR processes, the volumes of the documents or new hires at a tremendous speed compared to how we used to do it manually in the past.

What is most valuable?

I like the layout and design of the Studio using the RPA framework. It makes sense to me. It's very easy to get started. I've been a fan of the current debugger. I know that UiPath is releasing an updating debugger but I think that's been very intuitive for me as well.

I would rate the ease of use of the platform for automating my company’s processes a four out of five because, for me, there's still a lot of clicks and keystrokes I need to do for development. I know that UiPath is releasing StudioX, which is something that is needed, for people like me who aren't super technical.

I would rate UiPath Academy RPA training a five out of five. It's one of the best. Compared to its competitors, it's intuitive and it's robust.

It's everything that UiPath is moving forward towards, intelligent, machine learning, and AI. I embrace the fact that the direction it's going especially for me personally.

What needs improvement?

I think in the Studio, as in building automations, it takes a lot of clicks and there's a lot of options and I think sometimes there's just too much. It should be more simplified on the user interface.

As far as our practice, we have over 150 consultants in the States and over 350 in India. We also have a team in Europe. Overall, we have over 3,000 RPA consultants. UiPath is probably close to about a third that would be UiPath competent.

I haven't had to contact their technical support. I go through my SMEs.

We're always challenging ourselves to be more efficient and effective in the workforce. We also recognized that some of our businesses needed to do things better, faster and cheaper. RPA was a natural solution. For us, as a large organization, we want to learn about all of the top competitor solutions. UiPath is in the top-ranked quadrant regularly so it is an obvious choice.

Because of the market demands of Automation Anywhere, Blue Prism and UiPath, we had to invest in learning all three equally. I don't know the exact reason we went with UiPath, I can ask our clients.

The implementation process was easier than the competitors.

We have seen a 100% ROI. We do automation to deliver a faster ROI than traditional software. As a firm, we saved over 2 million dollars a year now from using RPA.

What other advice do I have?

Regarding both attended and unattended bots, I think there are places for both and it comes back to the purpose of what you're automating. I think attended is going to be great for the casual users of applications. It's a lot of the call centers and even some of the system developers. The unattended are places where you can really find those scaling volumes and processes. Typically back-office functions are unattended.

I would rate it a nine out of ten. There's always room for improvement. For me, it's very intuitive and logical. I grew up with a little bit more of a technical background so for me, it fits in well with my needs.

I would encourage someone considering this solution to use UiPath, especially if they're automated and especially with UiPath's new one-click cloud solution. It's so fast for them to get started. I would encourage them to be up and running in the same database to try it out.

IZ
Business Process Improvement Director at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to develop and easy to train everyone how to use it

• "The most valuable thing about this solution is that it is easy to develop and easy to train everyone how to use."
  • "The company needs to continue to develop artifical intelligence capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We have IT solutions that are oriented to service our call center because we are a contact center company. For example, we have a CTI (Computer Telephony Integration) solution to help manage our phone calls. It is something that we developed in house. We are developing a UiPath (the company that acquired ProcessGold) solution using RPA robots to improve our processes. So, that is our main use for the ProcessGold solution.

We use the UiPath product in order to reuse processes that we manage better and use the time of our agents more efficiently. When we established a connection with a client by phone, our agents spend a long time talking with the client and are also responsible for doing some back-end tasks. In order to reduce back-end tasks, we use RPA robots to reduce the time you need to spend on follow-up calls. For example, after a second call with the same client, you may need to fill in a form or a CRM entry. If we can simplify this task of filling out a form where we insert all the information automatically the robot saves that time. That is the main idea and the reason we use these robots.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most about this solution is that it is easy to develop and easy to train everyone how to use it. So, that means you can train more people in a short period of time and the time of training is reduced. That's the main characteristic of this tool that may have put it ahead of other choices for us.

What needs improvement?

If I were to talk about the improvements, I think that reducing the cost would be the first thing on my list. The dashboards for statistics would be great if they were more complete and more easy to integrate. If I could also see all the statistics on a mobile phone with a special mobile application and manage all the bots, this would be helpful.

I think that they must continue to integrate more digital intelligence tools in order to increase the capabilities the product provides for the users of their solutions. I know that they provide some of these tools, but they must continue researching and improving them.

We have been using this solution for about one year.

At this moment, the stability is good.

In some cases, we have developed some unique bots. At points, we needed to increase the number of bots. The scalability is fine. The number of people using the product for development is between three or four people in our company.

The initial set up was straightforward for this solution.

We have an internal team that makes deployments of all the programs and all of the bots.

This product is similar to Automation Anywhere and BluePrism. They are all similar and they are the leaders in the market for RPA at this moment. The ease of use of the UiPath product was attractive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for others who are looking into this product is that they have to pay attention to integrate the solution completely, taking into account all your needs and the users in your company. I mean this in the sense that you need to integrate all your applications and to know the profile of all the people who will be involved. You need to know the team you will work with and be able to unify responsibilities for the bots and the people. I think that's the most important thing to know.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate UiPath a nine. My opinion is that it is a good tool in order to automate all the processes in our contact center. It works to reduce the time for every phone call and makes us more productive for every phone call.

MB
RPA Operations Lead at a energy/utilities company with 11-50 employees
Offers valuable training and has dramatically reduced processing time

• "Compared to other solutions, training is very valuable. You can easily access the resources. There is a community edition which is a plus and something that other tools don't offer. Accessibility is the best feature."
  • "It interacts with so many products that the robot itself becomes unstable."

What is our primary use case?

I am a developer so I primarily use Studio most of the time, and when the bots go live, they move to Orchestrator.

We have a combination of different use cases. Sometimes it is dealing with Outlook or the Microsoft Office Suite. The idea is to build a solution that integrates all of the applications that are part of the same process.

We are not currently running our processes in a virtual environment but we are currently evaluating how we could make it work.

How has it helped my organization?

Everything was running well but the users had some challenges because they had to spend a lot of their day correcting the things that were misrepresented or not done correctly by another part of the team. The consultants had to manage the changes which were taking a lot of time but weren't on their to-do list for their day. UiPath is helping us save that time.

It hasn't really helped to eliminate human errors. The processing time is dramatically reduced. It makes it easier for consultants to make things right. If they spent eight hours doing a task, it now takes them two.

What is most valuable?

Compared to other solutions, training is very valuable. You can easily access the resources. There is a community edition which is a plus and something that other tools don't offer. Accessibility is the best feature.

I would rate the solution's ease of use as a five out of five. The majority of tasks are done through the recording which saves development time. You just record the things you want to achieve, customize it, and get it going. This reduces development time.

I have been using RPA training since I was new to the product. I did the developer training. I would rate it a five out of five. It’s very beneficial. You can just touch base with the actual tool and get it done.

It hasn't really reduced human errors but it has reduced the processing time. It's easier to make things right.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more of the AI Fabric domain feature.

It interacts with so many products that the robot itself becomes unstable.

I would rate the stability as four-ish out of five. There are some features that they are still working on. There will be better features in the upcoming versions.

We have around five users. We're in the kick-off stage so not many people are involved.

I have not needed to contact technical support.

We knew we needed to invest in a new solution because necessity is the mother of invention. We saw our consultants spending too much time processing areas of the business, so we knew we needed to evaluate new processes to make their lives easier.

We chose UiPath because of the accessibility. It's easily available and widely used.

It took us around six weeks from when we purchased our first license to having our first Robot in production. It was not a complex process.

We used Roboyo for the implementation. We had a good experience with them. I would give them a five out of five.

ROI is not on the grid right now. We hope to have a good ROI. It's a proof of value and it's not in production yet.

What other advice do I have?

With the existing features, I would rate UiPath an eight or nine out of ten. Once the new features come in, I would give it a ten. They keep improvising.

I would recommend not only automating the process but redesigning the process. It's not just about automating steps one to ten, you need to improvise your process and then try to automate that. Automating the steps as is won't really help and you can end up spending the same amount of time and money.

Wayne Ahrens
Technology & Innovation Consultant at a engineering company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Has the ability to take data out of wherever we have it and translate it into customer-owned Citrix environments

• "Having something that is very flexible like Studio X will make it possible to change with our environments very quickly, very easily, very nimbly, and to deploy and redeploy as needed."
  • "There is currently room for improvement in the area of ease-of-use."

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we're using Studio and soon to be using Orchestrator. We have not actually deployed any bots yet, but we have looked into both Orchestrator and bots. We have just looked at the solution set of that on why do we need to deploy in the future.

Our primary use will vary from department to department. We have what we call 11 global practices. These range across different platforms, but the underlying theme of that is we want to automate different items which might be finance or accounting or HR or whatever. But where I think it will be most useful is in our core business where I'm looking to apply it to engineering project management.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us has been the ability to take data out of where we have it — Excel sheets or wherever it may be — and translate it into customer-owned Citrix environments. Our primary core is engineering. A lot of our business requires us to take data what we have developed as part of the design process and relay that into work orders or other process triggers, ordering triggers, or material ordering, or different things for our clients. Allowing us to interface local data with Citrix environments is going to be a big deal.

What needs improvement?

I'm not exactly sure what I want to see enhanced yet. I know that we do a lot of small processes. Depending on how good Studio X is and how easy that is to build and manage we could potentially do a lot of small little things inside of various design tools like Excel, Word, and Outlook and to be able to kick out the workflows from that.

We like to do a lot of the design side locally for Excel, whether that be in a BBA or an add-in type environment. Being able to manage and deploy or build those will be helpful. Maybe we won't call them bots, maybe we call them processes that are centrally managed. In addition to the Microsoft stack, we use many other vendors like AutoCAD, Bentley MicroStation, Revit Inventor, BIM 360 and Autodesk Forge. To us, the CAD world is where we can see a lot of time savings and benefit ROI on a solution. That would be our next horizon.

I think this solution has room for improvement in the area of ease-of-use. It does require a little bit of coding background to be able to get in and really build out the solution. After I get in and look at Studio X a little more, I may change my opinion on that.

We have six people working in the organization involved in our automation program. We are pretty confident that can scale easily.

What other advice do I have?

Since we have not deployed to production yet, we are not sure which direction we'll be going in. We were looking on-premises but the software as a service cloud deployment will likely be a hit with our IT department. We plan to run our automation in virtual environments through a Citrix interface but not in Citrix.

On a scale from one to five where one is very difficult and five is very easy, I would rate the ease of the use of the platform as a three or four for now. I saw some things today I'd like to dig into a little farther, and I think that that Studio X would make it a whole lot easier for citizen developers to get in and do small tasks. Rebuilding tasks for accounting and finance where there are fairly rigid rules will be great. In the engineering world, our interfacing with the clients sometimes changes on a weekly basis. So having something that is very flexible like Studio X will make it possible to flex and change with those environments very quickly, very easily, very nimbly, and to deploy and redeploy. So if Studio X is what I hope it is, that rating may be closer to a five than not.

GunjanSharma
RPA Lead at Slalom Consulting
Human and robot interaction happen seamlessly with Attended bots

• "They've got the bolt on the market, so even with the new launches that happen with some of the new tools that came in, I think Connect really speaks to an overall automation strategy. I think that sets it apart."
  • "I talked to the product team. They are very passionate about this. In my opinion, all the different components that they have now released should be integrated under a single umbrella, available through a single landing page. That way, everything integrates with each other and they are able to communicate data back and forth. To me, that would be the ultimate solution."

What is our primary use case?

We're a consultant, so we help customers use this solution to develop automation and help set up COE. We provide the means for an entire organization to build its use cases. That's how we use Orchestrator both attended and unattended.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has helped eliminate human errors. The amount varies by specific use case, but it is sometimes 50% to 60%.

It has also saved organizations time. Internally, we're not at a stage where we've measured it. I would say right now it's not that great, but maybe 15 or 20 hours per person.

What is most valuable?

Orchestrator's value really comes from scheduling and jobs, where robots can trigger other robots. I can't speak to the new versions yet, but they all seem great. Attended is where the human and robot interaction can happen seamlessly. With unattended, some of the processes that were earlier so mundane are all being done without any human interaction, so that provides true end-to-end uninterrupted automation.

I would rate the ease of use for this solution as five out of five.

The UiPath Academy RPA training is awesome. It's top of the line, so I would also say that it should get a five out of five rating.

What needs improvement?

I talked to the product team. They are very passionate about this. In my opinion, all the different components that they have now released should be integrated under a single umbrella, available through a single landing page. That way, everything integrates with each other and they are able to communicate data back and forth. To me, that would be the ultimate solution.

I get it. There is a roadmap and it's a journey. Still, I would like to get to a place where everything integrates with each other. Now that we have all these different means that can help us enable a customer in their journey, making sure that they're integrated would truly add value. That removes the overhead of combining data from all these different sources.

I would rate its stability as five out of five. With any tool, there have been occasions when a job did not trigger or aborted, but that's been very rare in my experience.

I would say we have more than 20 users. There may even be around 50 users, if not more.

It was very easy to install this solution.

It does not take long from the time one purchases the UiPath license until they have a real bot in production. We do this mostly for our customers, but also for our own internal use case. We were able to get it done and up and running in weeks.

We have absolutely seen an ROI. The time to get an ROI varies from case to case.

Attended is fairly cheap. Anytime you bring in Orchestrator, that starts to become a little more expensive. I'm a little concerned about all the new SKUs that are coming in and the products associated with them. I am really interested in finding out if someone wanted a full product suite, what kind of money are they looking at annually.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate UiPath as ten out of ten. I've done implementations across tools, so I'm familiar with some of the other market leaders too. Honestly, though, UiPath is very good at keeping up with the times. It's easy to implement. Its ease of use and how quickly you can get set up and going stands out, in my view. They've got the bolt on the market, so even with the new launches that happen with some of the new tools that came in, I think Connect really speaks to an overall automation strategy. I think that sets it apart.

Download our free UiPath Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.