Unitrends Overview

Unitrends is the #36 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Unitrends vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Unitrends?
Unitrends increases uptime, productivity and confidence in a world in which IT professionals must do more with less. Unitrends leverages high-availability hardware and software engineering, cloud economics, enterprise power with consumer-grade design, and customer-obsessed support to natively provide all-in-one enterprise backup and continuity. The result is a “one throat to choke” set of offerings that allow our customers to focus on their business rather than backup.
Unitrends Buyer's Guide

Download the Unitrends Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Unitrends Customers
NHL Players Association, Salvation Army, Sligro Food Group, Mason General Hospital, Tec Group, Saldab IT, Baker Tilly, Clinton Savings Bank, Ennit Magna Bank, Manukau Institute of Technology
Unitrends Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

User
The daily backup report is one of the most valuable features

What is our primary use case?

We use it to back up our VMware environments. We do daily backups of virtual servers and databases.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced recovery time. From recovering VMs to just simple file-level recovery. It's all fast and easy.

What is most valuable?

The daily backup report is one of the most valuable features. There is a clear report sent and emailed to me every morning that shows if all backups were successful.

What needs improvement?

The only area that I would say needs some improvements is the initial setup. A little more assistance and help during implementation would be great.

RR
Senior Infrastructure Analyst with 51-200 employees
The whole appliance needs to be more resilient. If you are a large organization, this is a product for you.

What is our primary use case?

It performs as a backup product.

• "It is fairly stable."
  • "If you are a large organization, this is a product for you."
  • "There are some questions as to how safely they are storing backup data."

What other advice do I have?

It hasn't improved our backup because of the signal comeback with their solutions. They purchased RDR, but we don't know whether, I believe there's new functionality now in the current version, but it's not quite there yet. But there's still the pitfall there. If the database gets corrupted you lost access to your data unless it's stored under the appliance. So, you are basically doubling up on your data storage. So, I can't really say much more than that.
Learn what your peers think about Unitrends. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
479,323 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manager at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
User
It has drastically cut down on our restore time

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Unitrends to assist when a file or server level restore/backup is needed. We perform nightly backups of all servers, as well as a monthly backup to disk, which is stored offsite.

• "Unitrends has helped us cut down the time that it takes to restore a server to its original configuration."
  • "The amount of updates which are being released. Updates should be limited to two or three a year, focusing more on quality instead of a rushed bug release."
Network Manager / Senior Network Engineer at Warnock, Tanner & Associates
We can remote manage, monitor and report multiple client sites, but there's no support for dual VPN utilization.

What is our primary use case?

We currently use Unitrends to backup of local on premises environment as well as our Azure VMs. We use our local network as an off-site storage for our Azure VMs and replicate our local backups to Azure. We also have several appliances installed at our customers. Using the notifications we can easily monitor backups and address any failures quickly.

• "Iinstant recovery (allows a spin-up of your image as a VM on the appliance)."
  • "No appliance update notifications."

What other advice do I have?

This is a great product. Easy to setup, technical support is great, lots of documentation available. The reports are great to keep your backups working and recovery testing is easy. We have needed to restore a handful of times already and having Unitrends has been 100% thus far making us look good. There recently has been a lot of restructuring that has been happening at Unitrends and our common contacts and reps keep changing. They have also switched their sales model and no longer sell direct.
Senior Systems Engineer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
The licensing is all included in the appliance, but it could be a little more customizable

What is our primary use case?

Backup replacement for Backup Exec. Also, we are replicating backups from one datacenter to another.

• "VM backup is much faster and more reliable, as I can test my backups with Data Copy Access jobs."
  • "It is very easy to set up and get started. Almost too easy. We racked this device and had it up and running in less than 15 minutes."
  • "It would be great to have the job throttle/limit the max number of backups on a single ESXi host."
  • "It could be a little more customizable."

What other advice do I have?

So far, so good. It could be a little more customizable, but hopefully reviews like this and feature request updates that I have submitted move that along.
Network Systems Engineer at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Diversifying jobs within the same server helps break down a large chunk of data into more manageable and concentrated chunks

What is our primary use case?

This is my primary backup and archive service. It is an easy system to use. The support, if needed, is always willing to help.

• "It is an easy system to use. The support, if needed, is always willing to help."
  • "It is a quick and easy way to organize my backups and to keep track of them."
  • "The ability to diversify jobs within the same server helps break down a large chunk of data into more manageable and concentrated chunks."
  • "The ability to run just differentials without pulling the full on your archive."
Network Administrator at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
The customer and technical support are excellent

What is our primary use case?

We use it to back up files and virtual machine (VM) instances.

• "The simple and fast restore routine."
  • "There are a few quirks where the GUI, agent, and back-end are not precisely meshed."
Network Administrator at a transportation company with 11-50 employees
It makes it easier to track and set up new backups due to its coverage of both physical and virtual environments

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to back up both physical and virtual environments in and out of the office.

• "The ability to back up both physical and virtual appliances under one roof."
  • "Network-based storage stability could be improved."
Technology Director at a non-tech company
It saves time and pays for itself in one year

What is our primary use case?

Backup Recovery

What is most valuable?

Ease of use.

How has it helped my organization?

It saves time.

What needs improvement?

All things with a computer chip.

Two years.

Outstanding.

Vendor provided backup service. Unitrends product paid for itself in one year.

I had excellent help from my reseller.

A vendor team did the…
IT Manager at a marketing services firm with 201-500 employees
It provides instant recovery for a solution that backups all the servers on our network

What is our primary use case?

Backup of all servers on our network.

What is most valuable?

Provides instant recovery.

How has it helped my organization?

Our ability to backup quickly.

What needs improvement?

None.

More than three years.

Tech support helped us with the deployment. They were awesome.

The stability is rock solid.

It is a 10 out of 10.

Arcserve.

The initial setup was straightforward. We received help…
Network Administrator
User
A solution which can backup most operating systems to its appliance

What is most valuable?

Support for older operating systems.

How has it helped my organization?

A solution which can backup most operating systems to its appliance.

What needs improvement?

Linux full bare metal backups (automatic).

Eight years.

Every few years, an update may not be applied right and we may have to manually reload the software.

Customer Service: An eight out of 10. They are very helpful most of…
IT Director at a government
Easily mastered interface and application for backup/recovery, which is versatile, fast, and reliable

What other advice do I have?

No, we are happy with second gen of the appliance that we have purchased.
IT Manager at a marketing services firm with 201-500 employees
Cuts down on the amount of time spent verifying backups

What is most valuable?

Backup to disk Ability to restore to virtual machines.

How has it helped my organization?

It cuts down on the amount of time spent verifying backups.

What needs improvement?

Renewal issues: It should have the ability to do year-by-year for multiple years.

Three years.

Any issues that come up are handled by tech support and our onboarder.

The stability is rock solid.

Customer Service: Awesome support. Technical Support: Awesome support.

Arcserve. We switched to a new solution due to…
Systems Administrator at a construction company with 51-200 employees
The best part of their service is their tech support. They keep following up until they know everything is right.

• "Replication to Forever Cloud."
  • "​​Follow up for the DRaaS service setup. I'm still waiting to schedule a DRaaS test after upgrading several months ago."
Director of Information Technology at a legal firm with 201-500 employees
We have been able to move completely away from using tape and robocopy for backup efforts

• "Backup/archive to multiple locations."
  • "Making the seeding process more accessible and easier to understand. Also, make more of the undocumented best practices easier to find."
System Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 11-50 employees
Allows us to add new assets to our existing backup strategy with minimal errors
Unitrends allows us to easily add new assets to our existing backup strategy with no headaches. I am used to seeing quite a bit of errors when using different backup strategies and this has been minimized. When I have had to reach out to Unitrends support, they are quick to get back to me and try their best to help come up with a solution. I've had good luck with the product so far and wouldn't hesitate to implement it again.
Senior Network Administrator at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
We went from tape backups to hard disk backups. The restores have been a lot quicker.

What is most valuable?

Loving the new SLA Policy feature. Recovery is very quick.

How has it helped my organization?

We went from tape backups to hard disk backups using Unitrends. The restores have been a lot quicker.

What needs improvement?

Stabilizing SQL database backups: They are way too sensitive and I am having to constantly fix SQL level backups.

Three years.

None. Easy deployment.

Customer Service: Excellent. Technical Support: Excellent.

Which solution did I use previously and why did I

Unix/Apple System Administrator at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Able to migrate backup solutions without having to purchase a lot of hardware separately. Technical support has not been very helpful when there are complex issues.

• "Being an appliance-based solution, we were able to migrate backup solutions without having to purchase a lot of hardware separately."
  • "Support is great for small simple issues, but anything more difficult, it is hard to get good resolutions without having to badger them and their management."
Network Engineer at a wellness & fitness company with 501-1,000 employees
​Technical support is inadequate, but ​it has removed the need to have a copy for backup replication purposes

• "The ability to backup both physical and virtual machines, along with having an appliance store the backups locally instead of on a file server, NAS, or SAN."
  • "Techs don't see to be well-versed in troubleshooting issues that arise and tickets stay opened for weeks for resolution."

What other advice do I have?

Carefully observe reviews on this solution by actual end users before considering this as a backup strategy.
Network Engineer at a wellness & fitness company with 501-1,000 employees
In the past we used two separate products for backing up virtual and physical nodes. We switched because this solution supports both.

What other advice do I have?

It has solid qualities such as being all-inclusive disk backup appliance with replication capabilities off site. Make sure you understand the pros and cons of the solution compared to what your currently are using.
Virtualization Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Incremental backups are quicker than differential backups and can thus be done more frequently but the Windows agent must be version 7.5 or higher.
A couple of weeks ago Unitrends announced their latest release of Unitrends Enterprise Backup, namely version 7.5. The last couple of days I’ve been able to try this new version and I must say I’m pretty impressed by all new features and the ease of use of this new version. First let’s start with the feature list and dive in to some of these further: CloudHook for archiving to your cloud storage provider. Navigation grouping for easy management of clients and virtual machines. Support for Exchange incremental backups. Support for multiple SQL restores. New Policies report and Storage Footprint report. System performance enhancements, including faster backups, faster replication, and faster VMware inventory scan. CloudHook With Unitrends CloudHook you have the possibility to archive…
Cslt-Sol Architect/Dev at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I really like the way appliances are updated but I think instead of deploying the VBAs from vCenter, it would be really nice if only the first deployment is needed from vCenter.
Recently I got an opportunity to play around with Unitrends backup solution, which is still in beta. For those of who are not aware, PHD Virtual is now part of Unitrends. At first I was a bit skeptical because I have seen products being wasted after an acquisition. But in this case I think I am quite happy with the progress the product has made under the new name. My goal is to share my views on my testing of the product and also try and explain the new architecture. Once you get a hang of it, its really simple and makes a lot of sense. In my initial attempt, I sort of screwed things up but that was mostly because I was being hasty and didn’t bother reading the few simple concepts. Like in previous version, the one we will discuss here, version 8 revolves around the good ole VBA…