Unitrends OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Unitrends is the #39 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Unitrends vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Unitrends?
Unitrends increases uptime, productivity and confidence in a world in which IT professionals must do more with less. Unitrends leverages high-availability hardware and software engineering, cloud economics, enterprise power with consumer-grade design, and customer-obsessed support to natively provide all-in-one enterprise backup and continuity. The result is a “one throat to choke” set of offerings that allow our customers to focus on their business rather than backup.
Unitrends Buyer's Guide

Download the Unitrends Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Unitrends Customers
NHL Players Association, Salvation Army, Sligro Food Group, Mason General Hospital, Tec Group, Saldab IT, Baker Tilly, Clinton Savings Bank, Ennit Magna Bank, Manukau Institute of Technology
Unitrends Video

Archived Unitrends Reviews (more than two years old)

GG
Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Reliable solution that offers great predictive analytics and reporting

• "The predictive analytics are great and the reporting is awesome."
  • "If the interface could be less complex, it is would be great."

What is our primary use case?

Unitrends is a hardware-based solution that we use for backup and disaster recovery. We are trying it out to get it into our market to sell.

How has it helped my organization?

With Unitrends we can spin up devices into a VM in about five minutes' time. The disaster recovery time is very quick. Even while we are busy fixing hardware, we still have a running machine. That minimizes the loss of service. Something that usually took two hours now takes only five minutes on the server.

What is most valuable?

The feature I find most valuable is the hardware functionality because it's reliable and it's got predictive analytics and hardware failure. The predictive analytics are great and the reporting is awesome. It is a very reliable product.

Unitrends offers a lot of services and that allows us to seed devices. What we do is to create a backup on site, write it to a disc, courier it to Unitrends and they seed it to the cloud. So you don't need to copy terabytes of data over a line. That's very handy.

It is all very dependent on what the customer is buying. They can buy a hardware solution or a software solution. We don't particularly like working with a software solution because we don't trust underlying hardware and hypervisors and those type of things.

I will compare Unitrends to a Swiss army knife back up. It offers a lot of ways to do all sorts of things.

What needs improvement?

If the interface could be less complex, it is would be great. It's not the easiest to get around and to work with. Someone with a technical background won't have a problem with it, but new people might struggle with the interface complexity.

I would like to see more support for the different major cloud vendors and more focus on the desktop so that I can give a client a single solution for all of their backup requirements. I don't like selling two or three different backup products to cover various needs. I want to be able to provide my client with a single solution from a single vendor.

We've been working with the latest version of Unitrends for about two years now.

If you do proper planning, the program is very stable. I think Unitrends is designed for a data center and servers rather than for end-user backups.

Unitrends is very scalable. You can basically plug in a new device and add more devices as you scale.

Unitrends is not extensively being used here in South Africa but we have a lot of plans to increase usage of the product. It's being extensively used overseas, and it has already appeared in Gartner and the visionary side of their graph and it has a lot of usage in Europe and the US. We're trying to increase the market in South Africa dramatically.

The technical support is brilliant. Unitrends provides what they call a white glove service, where they monitor the devices. They will send people out to either do repairs should something go wrong, or they will send a new device out. Then it's a matter of plugging it in because they do a lot of the maintenance work themselves.

I've used many solutions throughout my career in technical support. We switched to Unitrends because it works and we have started selling Unitrends because it works. It's reliable and it's a very trustworthy system.

I used Backup Exec and other solutions before, but I have found that a lot of them can't be trusted.

We went through a long period of evaluation before choosing Unitrends as a product.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward if the planning is done well. It is very important to realize that it isn't just a plug and play thing. You must do proper planning and get your capacities right. You can't just do a lackadaisical implementation. So it is not straightforward, but it's very well sorted out by the time it goes into production. They do provide templates for the setup and essentially they give you an entire project plan.

The time it takes to deploy the program will depend on the size of the customer. A small client's deployment will be very fast. But you have to plan first and have to look at the client's capacity, how much they're backing up and how often they're backing up. Then you can cut their RTO's and RPO's down. You must include the business planning, what their objectives are, and then fit everything within that framework. If you try to miss a few steps and wing it, the program won't work for you.

We are vendors for Unitrends. We use Unitrends themselves as part of the deployment and they're very good.

Licensing costs appear high for hardware devices and software, when compared to other solutions. But in the long run, they're not, because you get free hardware replacement after three or five years. It's not an easy comparison, but it is more cost effective in the long run than most other solutions. You don't need new licensing every year.

For hardware devices, you pay a per seat or per call licensing structure. There are no other hidden costs like you have with a lot of other products. The upfront licensing is very simple to understand.

Most of our customers use VM and Backup Exec, but because we are resellers of Unitrends, we also use it from time to time. For end-user backups, we use a product called CloudBerry, which we have yet to actually sell into the market here in South Africa. We focus mainly on the data center and server market.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to follow the recommendation when you do the planning and installation. If you don't you're going to run into trouble. For what it's designed for, I will rate this product a nine and a half out of ten. It is pretty much the best product out there for what it claims to do. They've lived up to just about every promise they have made on marketing and on their website.

reviewer963924
User
The daily backup report is one of the most valuable features

What is our primary use case?

We use it to back up our VMware environments. We do daily backups of virtual servers and databases.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced recovery time. From recovering VMs to just simple file-level recovery. It's all fast and easy.

What is most valuable?

The daily backup report is one of the most valuable features. There is a clear report sent and emailed to me every morning that shows if all backups were successful.

What needs improvement?

The only area that I would say needs some improvements is the initial setup. A little more assistance and help during implementation would be great.

What needs improvement?

Learn what your peers think about Unitrends. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RR
Senior Infrastructure Analyst with 51-200 employees
The whole appliance needs to be more resilient. If you are a large organization, this is a product for you.

• "It is fairly stable."
  • "If you are a large organization, this is a product for you."
  • "There are some questions as to how safely they are storing backup data."

What is our primary use case?

It performs as a backup product.

How has it helped my organization?

The whole appliance needs to be more resilient. It lost our database, and that is something that cannot happen. If the data was written and managed a little better, we would not lose our entire backup. A bit more thought needs to be put into the process.

What needs improvement?

There are some questions as to how safely they are storing backup data. We had an issue about a year ago, but it actually ended up wiping our entire backup history, because one of the databases got corrupted, and we couldn't recover the backup data. Six to seven years of backup data just disappeared. So, obviously we weren't too happy. It's one of the primary reasons we're looking at the market and have gone down a different route for backups, essentially.

I also think there should be a lesser focus on the physical appliance, which was virtualized. I'm willing to look at it from the ground up and go actually a bit more resiliency, we don't want to lose the entire database because it took a snapshot of the appliance. This is a pretty common thing. We unravel all this data that's backed up if we need to collaborate.

It's fairly stable, it runs, it does a backup like you said. Things don't tend to go wrong until either VM upgrades or Unitrends breaks with an update. In terms of that it just carries on. It does its job, that's the main thing.

It's scalable to a point. Yes, it is quite scalable.

The technical support team is pretty good, actually. In all fairness to them, they are good. It is not their fault that their products are not functional in all aspects. But, from the support perspective, they did work quite hard to get things working in our favor. They did try their best. We cannot fault the support team for a problem with the product, itself.

I was not involved with the initial setup. It was inherited by me.

Always look at your backups strategy, and what your RPO and RTO are. Also, understand your infrastructure and the risks involved, including how the backup works.

If you are a large organization or corporation, with multiple sites, you can replicate the data from one Unitrends device to anoter Unitrends divide appliance. Then, this is definitely a solution for you. But, if you are a smaller corporation or organization, and you are worried about your backups, Unitrends may not be your best product choice.

I have no advice about the pricing of the product.

I inherited the product, so I did not comparison shop or evaluate other products.

What other advice do I have?

It hasn't improved our backup because of the signal comeback with their solutions. They purchased RDR, but we don't know whether, I believe there's new functionality now in the current version, but it's not quite there yet. But there's still the pitfall there. If the database gets corrupted you lost access to your data unless it's stored under the appliance. So, you are basically doubling up on your data storage. So, I can't really say much more than that.

it_user791514
Manager at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
User
It has drastically cut down on our restore time

• "Unitrends has helped us cut down the time that it takes to restore a server to its original configuration."
  • "The amount of updates which are being released. Updates should be limited to two or three a year, focusing more on quality instead of a rushed bug release."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Unitrends to assist when a file or server level restore/backup is needed. We perform nightly backups of all servers, as well as a monthly backup to disk, which is stored offsite.

How has it helped my organization?

Unitrends has helped us cut down the time that it takes to restore a server to its original configuration. Before, we only had the file structure backing up on a nightly basis and were utilizing bare metals.

Unitrends has drastically cut down on our restore time.

What is most valuable?

The scheduling and event viewer is easy to use and a helpful item when setting up new servers to be backed up. It determines what errors are being generated as a result of an issue.

What needs improvement?

The amount of updates which are being released. We were running 9.2 for the longest time when 10 came out. We were advised to upgrade, then two weeks later, we were told to wait. Since version 10 came out, there have been multiple versions released for Unitrends. Updates should be limited to two or three a year, focusing more on quality instead of a rushed bug release.

Three to five years.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

One of the best features is the customer service. When submitting online, the techs are quick to return my call and are very patient and helpful in answering all my questions.

I recently had an issue backing up a specific server (and without sending an email), the tech emailed me at 4 AM and provided a solution to the error which was generated.

Since I have been with the company, we have always used Unitrends.

I do not know.

You should be aware how much the monthly costs are to use, what the initial costs for hardware are, and what the options to expand are, if needed.

We did not evaluate anyone else.

Network Manager / Senior Network Engineer at Warnock, Tanner & Associates
We can remote manage, monitor and report multiple client sites, but there's no support for dual VPN utilization.

• "Iinstant recovery (allows a spin-up of your image as a VM on the appliance)."
  • "No appliance update notifications."

What is our primary use case?

We currently use Unitrends to backup of local on premises environment as well as our Azure VMs.

We use our local network as an off-site storage for our Azure VMs and replicate our local backups to Azure.

We also have several appliances installed at our customers.  Using the notifications we can easily monitor backups and address any failures quickly.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has given us the ability to remote manage, monitor and report multiple client sites .

We have relied on this appliance several times to recover our clients from Crytpo viruses that have locked their files for ransom.

What is most valuable?

- Cloud replication
- Remote management of clients
- Reporting
- Iinstant recovery (allows a spin-up of your image as a VM on the appliance).

What needs improvement?

Pushing the client to Windows 8 and Server 2012, no appliance update notifications, more stable pricing model, no support for dual VPN utilization (required for cloud replication and remote monitoring which cannot be done simultaneously).

Three to five years.

Unitrends is very stable.

The product is very scalable however if you are a small company that uses multiple subnets you must purchase a higher end appliance with multiple NICs. The lower end appliance no longer come with 2.

Customer service is excellent.

Technical support is very qualified and educated.

We previously used 3X and they went out of business.

Initial setup is very easy and straight foreword. You will need to program the Unitrends appliance with network configurations. Next will be installing the client on each workstation. This can be pushed on Windows 7 and earlier. Server 2012 and Windows 8 will require you to visit each workstation.

Configuring some of the advanced features however can be very tedious and difficult. A call to Unitrends support more than likely will be necessary.

We implemented the product for ourselves and a several clients.

How much is your data worth to you?

Pricing model constantly changes.

Before choosing Unitrends we also looked at Veeam, Symantec, Acronis, Backup Assist, etc.

What other advice do I have?

This is a great product. Easy to setup, technical support is great, lots of documentation available. The reports are great to keep your backups working and recovery testing is easy.

We have needed to restore a handful of times already and having Unitrends has been 100% thus far making us look good.

There recently has been a lot of restructuring that has been happening at Unitrends and our common contacts and reps keep changing. They have also switched their sales model and no longer sell direct.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We originally we just a customer and began selling this product to our customers and eventually becoming a partner.
Senior Systems Engineer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
The licensing is all included in the appliance, but it could be a little more customizable

• "VM backup is much faster and more reliable, as I can test my backups with Data Copy Access jobs."
  • "It is very easy to set up and get started. Almost too easy. We racked this device and had it up and running in less than 15 minutes."
  • "It would be great to have the job throttle/limit the max number of backups on a single ESXi host."
  • "It could be a little more customizable."

What is our primary use case?

Backup replacement for Backup Exec.  Also, we are replicating backups from one datacenter to another.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to set up and get started. Almost too easy. We racked this device and had it up and running in less than 15 minutes. The racking of the appliance took the longest, as it is heavy.

What needs improvement?

We have a huge VMware infrastructure with multiple hosts that use local storage. Backup jobs of VMs seem to target one host at a time, so if there are 10 VMs on that host getting backed up, it hammers that ESXi host until sometimes the jobs hang and nothing more occurs. It would be great to have the job throttle/limit the max number of backups on a single ESXi host.

Still implementing.

Everything has been stable since implementation.

Not yet.

So far, they have gone out of their way to assist us if there are questions or issues.

Yes, we utilized Backup Exec and a Dell DR4000 disk appliance. We were going to replace the DR4000 with a DR6300, but found that the cost of Unitrends was about the same as the DR6300. We liked the fact that the Unitrends appliance was all-in-one.

Very simple. You just put in a name and an IP address, then browse to the website to get to the console, deploy agents, and start backing it up.

In-house implementation.

Not calculated.

The cost of Unitrends definitely draws you in. The licensing is all included in the appliance, which is a great incentive.

Yes, we looked at Backup Exec and the DR6300, as well as the Dell EMC iDPA 5800. The price of the iDPA was steep and they would not let us demo a unit.

What other advice do I have?

So far, so good. It could be a little more customizable, but hopefully reviews like this and feature request updates that I have submitted move that along.

Network Systems Engineer at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Diversifying jobs within the same server helps break down a large chunk of data into more manageable and concentrated chunks

• "It is an easy system to use. The support, if needed, is always willing to help."
  • "It is a quick and easy way to organize my backups and to keep track of them."
  • "The ability to diversify jobs within the same server helps break down a large chunk of data into more manageable and concentrated chunks."
  • "The ability to run just differentials without pulling the full on your archive."

What is our primary use case?

This is my primary backup and archive service.

It is an easy system to use. The support, if needed, is always willing to help.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a quick and easy way to organize my backups and to keep track of them.

So far, I have not had any issues and support has always been helpful.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The next release should bring back the ease of some search issues from the legacy program.

The ability to run just differentials without pulling the full on your archive.

No issues.

This is our second system with Unitrends.

Talk with the sales guys. They can work with you on the best package.

Not this time around.

Network Administrator at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
The customer and technical support are excellent

• "The simple and fast restore routine."
  • "There are a few quirks where the GUI, agent, and back-end are not precisely meshed."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to back up files and virtual machine (VM) instances.

How has it helped my organization?

It works as expected the vast majority of the time. This is an improvement over other products that seem to break with the slightest change in the environment.

What is most valuable?

The simple and fast restore routine.

What needs improvement?

There are a few quirks where the GUI, agent, and back-end are not precisely meshed. The new OS may have fixed those issues, however.

Excellent.

We used software-only products. There were a number of incidents where the compatibility with the hardware was not a 100 percent.

This solution alleviates the compatibility issue.

It was probably as simple as could be considering that every environment will need some amount of tweaking.

It was implemented in-house.

Not calculated. Estimated at about one year.

Initial pricing is competitive. Renewal pricing is steep, so make sure to project costs for the lifetime of the appliance(s).

None worth mentioning here.

Network Administrator at a transportation company with 11-50 employees
It makes it easier to track and set up new backups due to its coverage of both physical and virtual environments

• "The ability to back up both physical and virtual appliances under one roof."
  • "Network-based storage stability could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to back up both physical and virtual environments in and out of the office.

How has it helped my organization?

Easier to track and set up new backups due to its coverage of both physical and virtual environments (or we would have needed two separate solutions).

What is most valuable?

• The ability to back up both physical and virtual appliances under one roof.
  • Its cloud backup capability.

What needs improvement?

Network-based storage stability could be improved.

I had some issues early on with network-based storage dropping connections, therefore corrupting the backups.

No issues.

A 10 out 10. Whenever I have had issues, the customer service staff has been more than helpful in resolve them.

Veeam. Cost of licensing was getting expensive due to our other site expanding.

Fairly easy, once I got my head around the way they set retention policies.

In-house.

Several options are available. Speak to their sales staff to ensure you have the right solution for your needs.

Technology Director at a non-tech company
It saves time and pays for itself in one year

What is our primary use case?

Backup Recovery

What is most valuable?

Ease of use.

How has it helped my organization?

It saves time.

What needs improvement?

All things with a computer chip.

Outstanding.

Vendor provided backup service. Unitrends product paid for itself in one year.

I had excellent help from my reseller.

A vendor team did the…

What is our primary use case?

• Backup
  • Recovery

What is most valuable?

Ease of use.

How has it helped my organization?

It saves time.

What needs improvement?

All things with a computer chip.

Outstanding.

Vendor provided backup service. Unitrends product paid for itself in one year.

I had excellent help from my reseller.

A vendor team did the implementation.

One year.

Affordable.

Yes, Veeam.

IT Manager at a marketing services firm with 201-500 employees
It provides instant recovery for a solution that backups all the servers on our network

What is our primary use case?

Backup of all servers on our network.

What is most valuable?

Provides instant recovery.

How has it helped my organization?

Our ability to backup quickly.

What needs improvement?

None.

More than three years.

Tech support helped us with the deployment. They were awesome.

It is a 10 out of 10.

Arcserve.

The initial setup was straightforward. We received help…

What is our primary use case?

Backup of all servers on our network.

What is most valuable?

Provides instant recovery.

How has it helped my organization?

Our ability to backup quickly.

What needs improvement?

None.

More than three years.

Tech support helped us with the deployment. They were awesome.

It is a 10 out of 10.

Arcserve.

The initial setup was straightforward. We received help once we were up.

Unknown.

Licensing and renewals are a tad expensive.

it_user761184
Network Administrator
User
A solution which can backup most operating systems to its appliance

What is most valuable?

Support for older operating systems.

How has it helped my organization?

A solution which can backup most operating systems to its appliance.

What needs improvement?

Linux full bare metal backups (automatic).

Eight years.

Every few years, an update may not be applied right and we may have to manually reload the software.

Customer Service: An eight out of 10. They are very helpful most of…

What is most valuable?

Support for older operating systems.

How has it helped my organization?

A solution which can backup most operating systems to its appliance.

What needs improvement?

Linux full bare metal backups (automatic).

Eight years.

An eight out of 10. They are very helpful most of the time, which is why we selected them.

rsync.

We implemented it ourselves.

The nice thing with this appliance is you do not have to worry about server licencing, and it's separate from the SAN.

Veeam.

Bartt Nelson
IT Director at a government
Easily mastered interface and application for backup/recovery, which is versatile, fast, and reliable

What is most valuable?

• Easily mastered interface and application for backup/recovery.
  • Versatile, works well in VM and physical environments.
  • Nice VM or file-level recovery, without spinning anything up to accommodate.

How has it helped my organization?

Fast and reliable. Able to integrate two sites and backup environments over an extended campus WAN.

What needs improvement?

Implement the changes that are being requested through the GUI.

Seven years.

Mostly networking, not the appliance or implementation specialists fault.

Having issues backing up systems with tons of small files.

Yes, expansion is only possible by buying a new appliance.

Good.

Very good technical support.

Yes, switched companies and the requirements changed drastically.

Very straightforward.

Mostly in-house with some vendor assistance.

Good.

No advice. The pricing is fairly competitive.

Yes, Veeam and others.

What other advice do I have?

No, we are happy with second gen of the appliance that we have purchased.

IT Manager at a marketing services firm with 201-500 employees
Cuts down on the amount of time spent verifying backups

What is most valuable?

Backup to disk Ability to restore to virtual machines.

How has it helped my organization?

It cuts down on the amount of time spent verifying backups.

What needs improvement?

Renewal issues: It should have the ability to do year-by-year for multiple years.

Three years.

Any issues that come up are handled by tech support and our onboarder.

The stability is rock solid.

Customer Service: Awesome support. Technical Support: Awesome support.

Arcserve. We switched to a new solution due to…

What is most valuable?

• Backup to disk
  • Ability to restore to virtual machines.

How has it helped my organization?

It cuts down on the amount of time spent verifying backups.

Three years.

Any issues that come up are handled by tech support and our onboarder.

Awesome support.

Awesome support.

Arcserve. We switched to a new solution due to usability.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Not applicable.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great system.

Andrew-Murphy
Systems Administrator at a construction company with 51-200 employees
The best part of their service is their tech support. They keep following up until they know everything is right.

• "Replication to Forever Cloud."
  • "​​Follow up for the DRaaS service setup. I'm still waiting to schedule a DRaaS test after upgrading several months ago."

How has it helped my organization?

Less headaches to worry about backups. 99% of the time, I don't have to touch it. Set up the jobs and let it go. 1% is the setup of new backups and verification the new backups work.

What is most valuable?

• Backup and restore
  • Replication to Forever Cloud
  • Tech support

What needs improvement?

Yes. I was backing up too much information. Changed from doing two physical appliances, one local, and one remote to two local and a Forever Cloud for remote. This doubled our storage space for backups and solved the problem.

Good customer service. No problems with my sales rep.

High level of tech support. The best part of their service. They keep following up until they know everything is right.

I've used physical tape, NetBackup, Arcserve IT, Backup Exec, and high-speed tape caching. It's great going right to disk.

I didn't do the initial setup. However, when we converted the second remote to a local support, they guided me through the entire process.

We implemented straight through Unitrends Support

More sleep!

When you purchase initially, get into the program which gives replacement hardware for free when you renew your support agreement. It makes the renewal down the road so much easier to cost justify.

Datto.

Director of Information Technology at a legal firm with 201-500 employees

• "Backup/archive to multiple locations."
  • "Making the seeding process more accessible and easier to understand. Also, make more of the undocumented best practices easier to find."

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to move completely away from using tape and robocopy for backup efforts.

What is most valuable?

• Reliable DR
  • Backup/archive to multiple locations
  • Excellent support

What needs improvement?

When we first moved to v10, we did have issues with restores. Support jumped right in and found the issue, and published a bug fix, this took care of the issue.

None.

Excellent. I like that I can chat directly with them for simple issues, and can also reach out to higher level engineers for the more difficult issues.

Excellent, see previous answer.

We used Zerto, which was not able to do file-level restores for any volume larger than 2TB.

It was straightforward in the initial setup, but a bit more complex in the tuning and tweaking.

I actually implemented most of it by myself.

Make sure you do the homework to size the solution properly. Buy the Enterprise Plus licensing if you can afford it.

System Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 11-50 employees
Allows us to add new assets to our existing backup strategy with minimal errors
Unitrends allows us to easily add new assets to our existing backup strategy with no headaches. I am used to seeing quite a bit of errors when using different backup strategies and this has been minimized. When I have had to reach out to Unitrends support, they are quick to get back to me and try their best to help come up with a solution. I've had good luck with the product so far and wouldn't hesitate to implement it again.

Senior Network Administrator at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
We went from tape backups to hard disk backups. The restores have been a lot quicker.

What is most valuable?

Loving the new SLA Policy feature. Recovery is very quick.

How has it helped my organization?

We went from tape backups to hard disk backups using Unitrends. The restores have been a lot quicker.

What needs improvement?

Stabilizing SQL database backups: They are way too sensitive and I am having to constantly fix SQL level backups.

None. Easy deployment.

Customer Service: Excellent. Technical Support: Excellent.

Which solution did I use previously and why did I

What is most valuable?

Loving the new SLA Policy feature. Recovery is very quick.

None. Easy deployment.

Symantec NetBackup.

It was actually very straightfoward

It was in-house with the assistance of Unitrends tech support.

I've already received my ROI through many man hours being saved going from tape to hard disk.

Consider the Enterprise Plus license, it adds a few extra analytics and reporting that will provide you with a little more insight into your RPO and RTOs.

Dell solution, ExaGrid, and a little bit of Veeam.

Unix/Apple System Administrator at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Able to migrate backup solutions without having to purchase a lot of hardware separately. Technical support has not been very helpful when there are complex issues.

• "Being an appliance-based solution, we were able to migrate backup solutions without having to purchase a lot of hardware separately."
  • "Support is great for small simple issues, but anything more difficult, it is hard to get good resolutions without having to badger them and their management."

How has it helped my organization?

We had a pretty solid backup platform before. I wouldn't say Unitrends made anything better, besides ditching Symantec's per TB licensing model and saving us a lot of money.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Support is great for small simple issues, but anything more difficult, it is hard to get good resolutions without having to badger them and their management. I think maybe Unitrends' support teams are too small for the size of their customer base and numbers of incidents.

Issues with one appliance having disk-related issues happens often. There were many issues with this one appliance (with different causes). Another appliance is habitually having issues with archive times to Unitrends Archive device.

I would like one management console for a whole environment that works quickly. It can be done, however anything you look up slows queries down because you might be searching multiple backup appliances at once.

Like any other company, sales will tell you almost anything, but the real proof is when you get it in your environment for a test drive.

Technical support has not been very helpful when there are complex issues. It is sometimes difficult to find someone who can answer questions the right way. I have had tickets that have changed hands, and each person claims to have fixed the issue while there are multiple reasons given for the problem.

Symantec Net Backup: It was too costly.

Initial setup was not difficult, but did require planning.

We implemented through a partner, but much of the work was done by my own team.

Bacula, Rubrik (I think it was too new at that point), and Dell.

Network Engineer at a wellness & fitness company with 501-1,000 employees
​Technical support is inadequate, but ​it has removed the need to have a copy for backup replication purposes

• "The ability to backup both physical and virtual machines, along with having an appliance store the backups locally instead of on a file server, NAS, or SAN."
  • "Techs don't see to be well-versed in troubleshooting issues that arise and tickets stay opened for weeks for resolution."

How has it helped my organization?

It has removed the need to have a copy for backup replication purposes, as we replicate our backups to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Technical support is quite inadequate. Techs don't see to be well-versed in troubleshooting issues that arise and tickets stay opened for weeks for resolution.

Restoration has been unstable when needed. Some backups don't restore properly or take an excessive amount of time to complete.

We have not needed to scale, so this is not applicable.

I give them a one out of 10.

It was supposed to straightforward, but ended up being complex due to unforeseen issues by Unitrends support.

What other advice do I have?

Carefully observe reviews on this solution by actual end users before considering this as a backup strategy.

Network Engineer at a wellness & fitness company with 501-1,000 employees
In the past we used two separate products for backing up virtual and physical nodes. We switched because this solution supports both.

What is most valuable?

It's an all-inclusive backup appliance that is separate from other storage needed to backup. It is also valuable because it has the ability to backup both virtual and physical nodes.

How has it helped my organization?

It has made our business continuity process more efficient with less administrative overhead needs for managing two backup solutions for both physical and virtual needs.

What needs improvement?

It needs both a better interface and a more solid support structure for when issues arise.

I've been using it for almost a year now. We transitioned from Veeam Backup.

The transition was challenging due to bugs and misconfiguration but we worked through it.

There have been no performance issues.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

It's average.

We used to use two products - Veeam and ArcServ. We chose Unitrends because it is all-inclusive and meets both virtual and physical backup needs.

We implemented it ourselves with guidance from the vendor.

What other advice do I have?

It has solid qualities such as being all-inclusive disk backup appliance with replication capabilities off site. Make sure you understand the pros and cons of the solution compared to what your currently are using.

Virtualization Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Incremental backups are quicker than differential backups and can thus be done more frequently but the Windows agent must be version 7.5 or higher.
A couple of weeks ago Unitrends announced their latest release of Unitrends Enterprise Backup, namely version 7.5. The last couple of days I’ve been able to try this new version and I must say I’m pretty impressed by all new features and the ease of use of this new version. First let’s start with the feature list and dive in to some of these further: CloudHook for archiving to your cloud storage provider. Navigation grouping for easy management of clients and virtual machines. Support for Exchange incremental backups. Support for multiple SQL restores. New Policies report and Storage Footprint report. System performance enhancements, including faster backups, faster replication, and faster VMware inventory scan. CloudHook With Unitrends CloudHook you have the possibility to archive…

• CloudHook for archiving to your cloud storage provider.
  • Navigation grouping for easy management of clients and virtual machines.
  • Support for Exchange incremental backups.
  • Support for multiple SQL restores.
  • New Policies report and Storage Footprint report.
  • System performance enhancements, including faster backups, faster replication, and faster VMware inventory scan.

CloudHook

With Unitrends CloudHook you have the possibility to archive your backups in the cloud. In earlier days we had to put our long-term backups on tape, because having the data that was been backuped in the same datacenter was no option. Getting it on tape and then moving it to another location ensured us of data salvation in case of a major event. With cloud storage becoming more and more available, companies are looking for this option to archive their backups. With Unitrends CloudHook you have the possibility to archive your backups into the cloud in a very efficient way. At the time of writing there are 3 cloud storage solutions supported by UEB 7.5 namely:

• Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3)
  • Google Cloud Storage
  • Rackspace Cloud Files

Navigation Grouping

With Navigation grouping UEB 7.5 making backups of multiple VM’s or physical servers in an organized manner is easy. Group servers together to make navigation, monitoring, backup, restore, archiving and reporting much easier. The following list of items can be grouped together:

• Physical Clients like Windows and Linux Servers
  • VMware VM’s
  • vApps
  • VMware templates
  • Resource pools
  • HyperV VM’s

Removing these groups is just as easy as creating them, and it will return the interface to the original state.

xchange incremental backup support

UEB 7.5 provides the possibility to make incremental backups of your Exchange Database. This has a couple of benefits:

• Incremental backups are quicker than differential backups and can thus be done more frequently. This benefit lays in the fact that a differential backup includes all changes since the full backup (it does not change the Archive flag) while incremental backups only backup the changes since the last incremental (it changes the archive flag)
  • Another benefit of incremental backups is the fact that log after completing a successful incremental, unneeded transaction log files are automatically truncated, freeing space on the Exchange server.

To use the Unitrends Exchange incremental backups the following requirements must be met:

• The Unitrends appliance must be running version 7.5 at least.
  • The Windows agent must be version 7.5 or higher.
  • Differential and incremental backups cannot be in the same schedule.
  • A full backup must be in the schedule. The incremental forever strategy is not supported.

Multiple SQL restores support

Now you can restore multiple SQL databases with a single click. You can also create custom folders of protected servers and virtual machines – significantly reducing the clicks needed to manage protected assets. The only limitations on this is the Windows limitation which is 6 simultaneous restores can run at the same time

To use this feature you must meet the following requirements:

• The Unitrends appliance must be running version 7.5 at least.
  • The Windows agent must be version 7.5 or higher.
  • Databases must be restored to the original SQL instance and name.

New reporting capabilities

With the UEB 7.5 release a couple of new reports are available, which will help you to produce better and more efficient reports on your UEB environment:

• Policies report. This report contains information about the general data protection policies applied to your systems, including systems protected, retention settings, schedules, data included or excluded from backup, and backup type. This report, along with the Schedule History report, may be used to assist in satisfying regulatory compliance audits
  • Storage Footprint report. This report needs to run on replication targets to determine the amount of physical storage consumed by each replicating source system

System performance enhancements

UEB 7.5 features the following performance enhancements:

• As UEB 7.5 now uses hardware assisted encryption leveraging the AES instruction set on the processor as well enhanced space reclamation algorithms provides for much faster backups.
  • Pipelining optimizations, hardware assisted encryption and improvements made to the algorithms that manage the replication queue provide a significant increase in faster replication.
  • In release 7.5 UEB provides a much faster VMware inventory scan for all environments.
  • With all the new features and improvements UEB 7.5 provides a smaller backup window and increased retention.

Arjan’s view

With all these new features and (performance) improvements as well as the fusion between two great companies (Unitrends and PHD Virtual), and their products, UEB 7.5 is a feature rich product which I can easily promote to all my customers. With the Unitrends team growing larger and larger and international the support for the Unitrends products is great. With backup and recovery on a modern way but with the possibility to leverage old and new infrastructures and features the UEB 7.5 is an awesome release which shows that Unitrends is a company to keep in mind.

it_user234705
Cslt-Sol Architect/Dev at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I really like the way appliances are updated but I think instead of deploying the VBAs from vCenter, it would be really nice if only the first deployment is needed from vCenter.
Recently I got an opportunity to play around with Unitrends backup solution, which is still in beta. For those of who are not aware, PHD Virtual is now part of Unitrends. At first I was a bit skeptical because I have seen products being wasted after an acquisition. But in this case I think I am quite happy with the progress the product has made under the new name. My goal is to share my views on my testing of the product and also try and explain the new architecture. Once you get a hang of it, its really simple and makes a lot of sense. In my initial attempt, I sort of screwed things up but that was mostly because I was being hasty and didn’t bother reading the few simple concepts. Like in previous version, the one we will discuss here, version 8 revolves around the good ole VBA…

Like in previous version, the one we will discuss here, version 8 revolves around the good ole VBA. However now the VBA does a lot more and has delivered on the promises in the past. For example: my previous complain was lack of single pane of glass to manage multiple VBAs, that’s no longer a problem here. In fact they went a step further and made it possible to manage VBAs that could be deployed in Citrix or even Hyper V environments.

Architecture:

In version 7, the concept of appliance roles was introduced and version 8 continues with this model. Each appliance can be dedicated to a single role or a single appliance can have multiple roles configured. So what are those roles?

Presentation (P) – The Presentation appliance is the appliance running the web-based interface you use to configure and manage your installation. Only one presentation appliance is necessary per installation, across all configured environments (including across all hypervisor types). All management and configuration of PHD Virtual Backup occurs through the Presentation Appliance’s web interface.
Management (M) – Each Environment requires one appliance designated as the Management Appliance. This appliance performs inventory and other hypervisor-specific tasks and manages the work of the Engine appliances. Each environment you add to your PHDVB deployment requires the IP address of one appliance to act as Management appliance. The Presentation Appliance can also be designated as a Management Appliance.

Engine (E) – Engine appliances perform the actual data processing and send data to their configured data stores. Engine is the most common role an appliance will take on in your deployment. Appliances with the Presentation and Management role can also be configured with the Engine appliance.

Note: As a general recommendation, you will need at least one Engine appliance for every 10 TB of source data you will protect (or every 1 TB of data if using XenServer or 5 TB is using CIFS backup storage).

So for any deployment you will need at least one VBA that has the P M and E roles. If the environment is small enough, a single VBA can host all those roles. And then add more engines as the environment grows. You can tell someone was thinking scaling. The latest version of the beta also incorporates a tutorial video that gives you a high level view of what the VBA roles may look like when laid down. This will also assist you in determining what will be ideal for your environment. I highly recommend you watch this before moving forward with the full configuration.

Deploying:

I am stealing a diagram from Unitrends documentation to explain how the roles can be laid out.

In the example above, as you can tell three VBAs are deployed. It’s a very small two host environment but it maybe a good idea to isolate the engine for the P and M roles if expansions are anticipated down the road. Technically you could with a single engine unless you needed different kinds of backup datastores to backup the data. Yes the engine does NFS, CIFS and attached storage, however you can only have one type of storage per engine. So in the example above, you could assume maybe VBA2 uses NFS and VBA3 uses attached storage. Its also possible that the hosts are running really large VMs that exceed the 10TB limit per engine and that’s why two VBA are deployed.
What could be another reason for two VBAs in the example above? Is it possible that host1 is running esxi and host2 is running Hyper-V? I would say YES its possible to manage two different environments using the same portal but there is one important piece that we are missing, the engine. Take a look at the diagram below:

The diagram above is identical to the one before it with one key difference. Host 2 also has a manager VBA which means the example above could very well work for environment 1 being vSphere based and environment 2 being Hyper V or even Citrix based. Isn’t that awesome!?

Your engine is attached to a disk where the backups are stored. When attaching the storage, you can set encryption to be on if helps you sleep better or some compliance has that requirement. You can also set the compression rate of the backup and block size. Below is some useful information to make those assessments.

Backup Compression:
• Use BDS Setting – The default setting, this option will use the compression setting applied to
the backup data store. The default setting at the backup data store is GZIP.
• Uncompressed – No compression is applied to the backup data. This can be useful (or required) when using storage devices that perform additional compression.
GZIP – This compression method performs the highest compression level resulting in reduced amount of storage space used. The additional compression used by GZIP will impact performance – backup speed and overall backup time.
• LZOP – This method results in less compression than GZIP but in most cases will impact performance much less, resulting in compressed backups faster than the GZIP alternative.
Block Size:
• Use BDS Setting – The default setting, this option will use the block size setting applied to the
backup data store. The default setting at the backup data store is 1 MB.
• 512 KB, 1 MB, 2 MB, 4 MB – The size of the backup block used to store backup data should not be adjusted in most situations unless instructed to by support. Adjusting the block size can impact backup and restore performance.

My wow moment:

The deployment is really simple. If you can deploy an OVF you are gold as long as you understand the architecture. Because I didn’t in the beginning I managed to screw up my initial deployment. The folks over at Unitrends were kind enough to get on a call with me to take a look at my issues. On first glance I was informed that I need to update my appliances just like any good ole vendor would suggest. My eyes started to roll until I found out how simple that really is.

The folks over at Unitrends sent me a link to a file which took a few seconds, I unzipped it went to the config tab of the portal on my VBA, hit upload, selected the file with the .phd extension and hot save. And that was it. So I figured if I only have to do that to each VBA it shouldn’t be too bad. But I was informed, because I did it from the presentation VBA that knows the managers and the engines in my environment, all the appliances will be updated and I will get a message once that completes. Sure enough 10 mins later I got the message and as I hit OK, all the branding had changed from PHD to Unitrends and all my appliances were updated. Way better than my original plan of redeploying with the latest appliance. I know this doesn’t highlight the tools backup abilities, but I think the tool itself has proven it can do backups and more over the years. But to me the manageability of your backup solution is key.

One key thing to note is there is also an auto update feature that will pretty much negate the need for you to update the appliance at all as it will happen on its own.

The portal and UI:

When you login to the portal you get a holistic view of your entire environment. This includes number of VMs, number of VMs that have been protected with backups, recent restores, jobs, alerts, available storage etc all in one place. Don’t forget you could be pulling this information from your entire environment that could be hypervisor agnostic. I think this dashboard brings good value to the table and gives a good high level on things. You can hit the cog on the right to change the frequency of how often this data is updated, the default is 5sec.

The errors and some alerts are really my doing. I didn’t realize it was a bad idea to try and backup 400gb of data on a 40gb backup volume. But I was quickly able to add more storage and get past that.

The rest of the tabs are pretty self-explanatory. The protect tab allows you backup, replicate VMs, the Recover tab exactly what it says. You can do full restores or even File level restores. One of the things I like is the ability to change he mac on the VM when doing a full restore, its good to see features from the past are still baked in. The Jobs tab lets you create new jobs, monitor them and view recent jobs.

I really like the report tabs because it presents all the useful information you can think of right out of the box in a very pretty way. Way prettier than I can ever make it because I just don’t have that kind of patience or talent. There are reports around VMs, virtual appliances (this tells you the version your VBAs are running), replication, archives and storage. So there should be all kinds of reports for you to pass around in meetings not just with pretty colors but also very useful information.

The Configure tab is where all the magic happens. This is where you add the multiple VBAs and assign them the appropriate roles. This is also where you can do the update all my VBA magic with a single click. Your SMTP info for email alerting and also the credentials for FLR are stored here.

Lastly another thing that’s covered in this tab brings me to my next topic.

Licensing:

The solution gets installed with a trial license at first. And once you realize you kinda like this, they want money. Urgghh those evil people. Jokes aside, this is also a key factor for a lot of organization on how much will it cost. I don’t have the pricing information at this time. However I do know the product is licensed on a per socket basis. Meaning the sockets of the hosts. So if you have 10 hosts with 4 sockets each that you need to protect all the VMs on you will need 10*4 = 40 licenses. Hopefully the cost will be acceptable like in the past.

Conclusion:

Overall I really like the solution. I didn’t cover a lot of the actual backup technology used in the back because most of that has been covered by others and myself in the past. I will post a few links to my previous reviews. I wanted to point out all the new things that I saw and wanted to go over the architecture so that you understand what will it take to deploy this product. If you have half a working brain like myself, all you will need is this post and access to a vCenter where you can deploy the OVF. And you will feel like an all-important backup guru like myself (that’s a joke, I am anything but). Just make sure you watch the tutorial video once you eploy the first VBA, that will really make things extremely simple for you.

The one thing I really like was the way appliances are updated and I think I made that quite clear when I was on the phone with Unitrends. Like everything else there are things that one can desire. Though this is kinda hard to come up with at this point, but I think instead of deploying the VBAs from vCenter, it would be really nice if only the first deployment is needed from vCenter and the rest could be handled from within the solutions portal. Perhaps there could be a report that suggests adding more engines etc to improve performance maybe. The data is already there it seems like, just need to tie it all together. In the end, good job PHD virtual you have done great. And Unitrends don’t let us down because we are spoiled.

This post originally appeared here.

Download our free Unitrends Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.