UrbanCode Deploy OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

UrbanCode Deploy is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Release Automation tools. It is most often compared to Ansible: UrbanCode Deploy vs Ansible

What is UrbanCode Deploy?

IBM UrbanCode Deploy orchestrates and automates the deployment of applications, middleware configuration, and database changes into development, test, and production environments—local, dedicated or shared cloud environments—accelerating time to market and reducing cost by shrinking manual efforts from days to minutes with automation, while reducing risk by cutting deployment errors by up to 90 percent.

UrbanCode Deploy is also known as uDeploy.

Download the Release Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

UrbanCode Deploy Customers

As policy, IBM does not release customer names on non-IBM web sites.  However, public DevOps and UrbanCode Deploy case studies can be found here. IBM's UrbanCode Deploy customers span Small-Medium Businesses to Fortune 500 companies across all industries worldwide.

UrbanCode Deploy Video

Archived UrbanCode Deploy Reviews (more than two years old)

YV
Rollout Manager at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides a Full Overview of the Development Environment

• "It is very easy to make a software release. It used to take us at least a couple of hours to make a release, now we went to production with a new one last night. This new release took me five minutes."
  • "I certainly would like to have a better way to pass information between deployment steps using UrbanCode Deploy because that's really difficult to do."

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we are using UrbanCode Deploy, a product from IBM. Before I had a bit of expertise with it at a bank in Belgium that uses recent commissions from computer systems.

Now, I work in Belgium for an importer of Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc. I'm in the middleware department. What we do is we link all the different applications together.

We deploy UrbanCode as a middleware solution.

How has it helped my organization?

In the beginning, this tool was completely new to us, to everybody in the company, actually. At that time, Urban CodeDeploy was not performing well at all. After that, when we started to use the tool more and had some better insights, UrbanCode Deploy started performing better.

Last week we sat together with some IBM experts to see where we could gain some more deployment type of performance optimization. We still have to do this. We got new recommendations yesterday. We will now see how much effort it will take to implement them. We will not implement them if it takes over 2 weeks.

If we can gain maybe ten or fifteen percent optimization with UrbanCode Deploy, then we will invest further in the platform. The tool is performing not so bad now.

What is most valuable?

For me, the most valuable thing is that we have a full overview of our environment, where we have deployed what, when it went okay, when it went wrong, etc. These kinds of things.

It is very easy to make a software release. It used to take us at least a couple of hours to make a release, now we went to production with a new one last night. This new release took me five minutes.

It makes it easy to select what we want to deploy and to follow it up afterward. The reports that we get when something goes wrong work very well.

What needs improvement?

What UrbanCode Deploy improved for us is that we have better visibility. We are not deploying faster with it. Actually, it's a little bit slower.

We have the software application automation fully under control with UrbanCode Deploy. Whereas when we did it the old way, we had failures.

Before we used UrbanCode Deploy it was difficult to find out why we had failures. Now, we don't have any failures anymore, or almost none.

For the last couple of months, we have no failures at all and we have full visibility. The interface is doing very well.

Performance-wise, our deployment now takes longer. We know that, but that's something that we can live with to take advantage of UrbanCode Deploy's other feature set.

We are one major version behind and we will do the updates internally. The only problem is UrbanCode Deploy is used not only by me but by all of the company. We all do our deployments with UrbanCode. Upgrading is not my decision.

I certainly would like to have a better way to pass information between deployment steps using UrbanCode Deploy because that's really difficult to do.

Personally, I would like it if you can loop on some things like the tags and the agents. I would like to have some more loops.

I'm really not that satisfied with the stability of UrbanCode Deploy. First of all, it needs a lot of memory and it needs a lot of CPUs. This has a huge impact on viewing. I expected an interface that is far more responsive and it seems most of the screen handling is done on the server and not on the client. Hence, just for working with it, you need a machine with 4 CPU's or cores to be comfortable.

If you use the API's to do some stuff from Jenkins it performs way better. Doing the same action using the REST API, is literally just hundreds of milliseconds, whereas the GUI takes seconds. That is certainly something that UrbanCode Deploy could improve on.

The current version that we have, the 6 series, does not scale at all. It is not good enough, in my opinion. They knew this and they have upgraded this with a whole new technology. We do not need it to scale any further at this moment.

In the beginning, we had some issues with UrbanCode technical support, some things that did not work the way we thought they would work. For some of them, we opened PMR's with IBM. As always with IBM PMR's take a long time to respond.

I'm not happy with UrbanCode customer support at all. On the other hand, we also put some time in with these experts last week. These experts were certainly highly qualified. With them, we proceeded very well and very quickly on some items, so it's a little bit mixed.

The support that we get from PMR's is not good. I give it a score of 2 out of 10. We have PMR's open for more than a year.

Management wants to use UrbanCode to make sure that we all deploy the same way. I do not know if they evaluated other products. I was just given the product at the moment and I was in the company already for some time. The strategy behind this is that everybody deploys with UrbanCode.

We have a department called Infra. Management decided to use UrbanCode for several reasons so it was imposed on us that we should use it and it was installed outside our team.

Because the company likes to use the big solution providers, our middleware is IBM. Our deploy tool is IBM so they have a lot of big players. I personally prefer Open Source solutions. I don't just want to use Open Source. We use Jenkins & GitLab

Jenkins & GitLab are tools that everybody uses and if there are problems, these problems are fixed quickly by the community or by the developers. That's basically how Open Source works. I am not at all against paying for a solution. For example, it could well be that we use GitLab but the Enterprise Edition. It gives us the opportunity to start with a community edition.

I like to evaluate tools to see how they work, to see how they fit us as a company, and then switch to a paid solution. This is something I miss with big companies like IBM.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, the way you have to develop with UrbanCode Deploy is to use the graphical interface, which is nice. However, for development UrbanCode Deploy is slow.

Each time you have to click on something, you have dropdown menus, etc. I am a coder by nature. Some tasks I would normally prefer to go faster. It would be better if I could type commands directly using UrbanCode Deploy.

I would give UrbanCode Deploy a six or a seven because it is not easy to set up. The documentation is not commonly found. I think it's pretty expensive too. UrbanCode Deploy is not so much used in the market. When you implement, it's not so easy but you can overcome that. Afterward, when it runs, it runs slowly to complete. Now that we have the solution, we rely on it and really trust it now. I would have given it more points if it were easier to work with. My final rating would be seven out of ten.

Take at least one month and properly evaluate the tool with a real business case because it was sold to us in a different way. We were told this tool can do anything and within a week you will have a solution. In reality, it took us three or four months even to come to the final solution. The tool is not as easy as the vendor says it is. You have to get used to it and you should not think that this tool is just magic that will solve your problem. You have to think around your current problem and then see how you can get that into the tool and not vice versa. Don't expect the tool to solve your problems.

Yavuz Yasin Celik
Computer Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Its reusable templates make your life easier

What is most valuable?

Reusable templates make your life easier.

How has it helped my organization?

Using reusable templates (mainframe and middleware), you can force developers to use the same rules for deployment. Also, you have choice to break that rule.

Since 2016.

In our implementation, we created 16 PMR for this product. 15 of them were solved.

Customer Service: Perfect. IBM has one of the best customer services. Technical Support: Perfect. IBM has one of the best technical supports.

We implemented in-house.

What is most valuable?

Reusable templates make your life easier.

Since 2016.

Perfect. IBM has one of the best customer services.

Perfect. IBM has one of the best technical supports.

We implemented in-house.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Digital.ai, Broadcom and others in Release Automation. Updated: October 2021.
543,089 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user631593
User at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
I can create a deployment process visually and see that process executing in real time.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to create a deployment process visually and to see that process executing in real time, step by step, with access to log files and with a click of a button.

How has it helped my organization?

It has drastically improved how we function. We can now realize continuous delivery practices. We can automate more and integrate with other system much more easily.

What needs improvement?

Need more granular security: for example, access to the Settings tab is all or nothing. I would like to be able to grant access to parts of the Settings tab and also provide read-only access to parts as well.

Reporting: I am excited to learn more about Insights. Until then, native reporting in UCD needs a lot of work.

I have used it for 1.5 years.

We have encountered scalability issues. We did not scale particularly well. We have not been able to maintain a cluster with 3 servers in UCD. When running with 3 servers, we have experienced instability and agent connectivity issues.

Customer service is average. For a company our size and the amount we stretched the tool, I would say more could have been done to help our journey. With that said, there are a lot of examples where IBM has worked very well with us.

Technical support is slightly above average. It has been good. We have challenges that we still need to work through.

We were previously using a home-grown solution. That solution couldn't scale, was risky to make changes to, and could not provide the features we need to achieve continuous delivery.

Initial setup was complex. There is a lot to consider in a large enterprise: security model, resource tree strategies, infrastructure topology (UCD servers, agent relays), management of UCD agents (installation, monitoring, troubleshooting, etc.).

We implemented it mostly in-house but we did have some help initially from IBM consultants. I would rate that help as fair.

Systems Specialist, Development, D2C DevOps Architecture at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
The gating and approval workflows are valuable.

What is most valuable?

• The gating and approval workflows.
  • The udclient.jar API calls are relatively easy to understand.

How has it helped my organization?

• Centralization of our deployment process
  • Unification of our nonprod and production deployment process

What needs improvement?

It makes it easier to create new resources, especially new components, and to import new servers into uDeploy Environments.

I have used it for six months.

Once I understood the API, deployment was reliable.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is good.

N/A: I have not had to invoke technical support.

We did not previously use a different solution.

I was not involved in the initial setup & configuration.

We use IGS on site to assist our IT staff as needed.

We are still evaluating competitors like XebiaLabs Release, Puppet and Chef Automate. There is a chance we could move to Chef Automate

What other advice do I have?

Learn the API and automate common tasks from your CI|CD pipeline

it_user459012
Co-founder at ClarityWorks BV
Enables the creation of reusable component templates. WebSphere deployments do not work out-of-the-box.

What is most valuable?

The valuable features are “scriptability” and customizing the deployment processes.

How has it helped my organization?

It’s not necessarily the product, but more the drive to automate deployment that results in improvements.

UCD gives the freedom to create reusable component templates. You set up a process for deploying something once, such as a standalone Java application, and then that is “templetized” and can be reused.

In these templates, you can:

• Standardize the used repositories, such as Nexus
  • Standardize how an install.sh script must be made
  • Determine how staging parameters must be stored in a config file.

Many of the improvements are, therefore, based around automating the deployments. They are automated in such a way that no more "screwdrivers under the hood" are allowed in any stage.

This saves time, and makes the process much more reliable, reversible, repeatable, and traceable. In the beginning, this is painful. I can’t stress enough how much effort should go into getting this right.

What needs improvement?

WebSphere deployments, for some reason, don’t work out-of-the-box. We have worked on the Websphere issue with the IBM uDeploy development team a lot more now. What we want to be able to do is apply configurations to the Websphere using the standard plugin. This can be done by creating json snippets that must be parsed with the large json files of the cell, the node and the server that have been created during the mandatory initial configuration discovery of the target machine. We have had lots of difficulties getting the parsing to work, now a new version of the config plugin has been released which is an improvement.

However, what we want to be able to do with our CICD automation is to create configurations paired with the EAR files so that we can start doing partial updates, of only the parts that have changed. Also rollbacks will this way be much easier to accomplish. uDeploy can not work like this to date, the plugins do not allow it.

UCD needs to perform a discovery of the environment. This would not be needed if it would understand more about WebSphere environments and releases.

We have used this solution for one year.

In terms of deployment for WebSphere, the configure plugin didn’t do what we wanted. The plugin requires a discovery of the target WebSphere environment. For some reason, applying changed configurations via the plugin doesn’t work for us.

In itself, UCD is a stable tool. Once something works, it continues to work.

I would give customer support a rating of 6/10. The customer is expected to bring a significant amount of knowledge to be able to configure component templates, resource tree, etc.

Customer support is available, but it is remote and only acts upon raised incidents. At our own cost, we have hired IBM specialists on premise to solve the WebSphere issue.

We didn’t have a previous solution. This was our first real attempt to introduce one central deployment tool to automate and standardize deployment processes for all techniques, such as Linux, IIB, IIS, and WebSphere.

We chose the product because we have a long-lasting relationship with IBM.

Initial setup was done on only one environment. Even then, UCD has a quite complex setup due to a needed high-available setup with load balancers, queue managers, license servers, and databases.

Depending on the size and complexity of the organization, you need at least three environments:

• To develop and test new versions of UCD
  • To build reusable deployment solutions
  • To execute them

IBM did the implementation. Unfortunately, they did it without considering that deployment automation is not just about a tool, but much more about standardizing and optimizing the deployment landscape and the processes.

It was done as a remote implementation, which of course didn’t fit. It had to be changed in numerous ways.

I have no knowledge on the ROI. In the end, I think the costs must be seen in the light of the objective you want to achieve. If you’re considering release management, CICD processes, and want to be a DevOps organization, then the costs for the tool don’t matter much.

What other advice do I have?

Think about what deployment automation really is. It means no tweaking throughout the stages whilst applying changes. Everything must be code. That is the most important step; having everything as code.

Once that is done, then probably all of the good deployment tools in the upper-right corner can do the job.

In the end, deployment should be something that runs in the background; getting a signal to deploy something that has been created.

Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Automated deployment forces the organization to standardize runtimes. They could add support for some of the vendor's own middleware.

What is most valuable?

Ability to do automated deployments. It does what it promises: It helps you automate deployments. But, it works better for some application component types than for others.

How has it helped my organization?

Automated deployment forces the organization to standardize runtimes, development output and handling of platform provisioning.

What needs improvement?

They could add support for some of IBM’s own middleware. IBM is so big a company that the left hand doesn’t understand the right hand.

I’ve been using UrbanCode Deploy for too long.

We have not had stability issues.

We have not had scalability issues.

Technical support is bad.

We had various solutions before this one.

Setup was complex because IBM started on the wrong foot.

Don't use the tool in combination with IBM as datacentre manager.

We didn’t evaluate other tools. We were forced to use it by IBM as datacentre manager.

What other advice do I have?

Look for other tools if IBM runs your datacentre.

it_user587571
Solution Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It offers OOTB plugins for middleware.

What is most valuable?

It provides a wide list of OOTB plugins for middleware.

How has it helped my organization?

By standardizing the automated deployment application process, reducing the amount of errors due to manual steps and by providing visibility into the release cycles of various teams/applications, we've improved our global efficiency by at least 25% and still counting, since we've only used the product for a short period of time.

What needs improvement?

• A simplified UI
  • A simplied licensing model
  • Lack of technical expertise available in the market that forces us to rely solely on IBM Professional Services

I have used UrbanCode Deploy for six months.

We have not had any stability issues so far.

We have not had any scalability issues so far.

They have very good response time to our technical support tickets. The solution/answer that allows us to close the ticket typically comes from level 2 or level 3 support (i.e., not level 1).

We didn’t have a previous solution. We just had a very wide variety of custom in-house scripts.

Initial setup was straightforward.

The licensing model can be very simple, or quite complex, depending on how you want it to be and how you negotiate with IBM. I suggest to deeply evaluate your growth/scaling capacity, since this will dictate your choice of licensing model. If you know that your needs in terms of applications to automate is fairly stable and very predictable, then you might consider a simple approach of the server and agent licensing model. If you're in a rapidly evolving environment and it's hard to predict, but you know that it will grow rapidly, then you might consider a PVU licensing model based on the CPU capacity of the server, regardless on the number of agents deployed into your datacenter(s). And somewhere in between, the hybrid approach is the floating model that is a good fit for the shrink-and-expand type scenario (our choice).

It all depends on your requirements and the guesstimate of growth and potential shrink capacity.

We continued with custom in-house scripting; a dead end, obsolete approach that cannot scale and belongs to the past, not the future. Open source-based products (Jenkins and others) that we complement with in-house custom functions, require too much human investment in development effort to provide minimum features that make solutions properly operational in large-scale enterprises with complex IT landscapes; a buy vs. build decision.

Its competitors are: Xebia Labs, CA Release Automation.

What other advice do I have?

Properly evaluate the ratio of applications that are based on newer architecture models (cloud native vs hybrid vs traditional). Weigh in that element into the decision and consider a hybrid approach: big vendors' ARA tools vs. new cloud-based deployment technology like Kubernetes.

it_user585882
Release Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
It helps us create a detailed, accurate implementation plan. Pricing is on the higher side.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is auto-deployment of application versions through direct connectivity with UrbanCode Deploy.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, for a planned release, an Excel-based implementation plan had to be created and validated beforehand in a production-like environment. On the go-live date, a high number of resources were required to run that implementation plan and perform a high number of deployments and validations. This eventually takes almost a day for a release leading to business impact and high release cost. The Excel implementation plan size climbs to 2000+ lines depending on the size of the release, which is prone to errors.

UrbanCode Release is used to run deployment from non-production environments and hence the plan continues to mature until we reach the go-live day. It is run through the non-production releases a number of times and hence is validated beforehand. With the usage of UrbanCode Release, we are able to save on efforts required to create a detailed, accurate implementation plan. Also, as it has direct connectivity with UrbanCode Deploy, we can schedule automatic deployments and hence save on time and cost of resources. The overall release efficiency has improved multifold.

What needs improvement?

Performance of the tool is quite slow. It takes a lot of time to load a plan if the plan size is bigger. Also, the reporting feature needs to be strengthened to provide more valuable real-time reports.

I’ve used UrbanCode for 1.5 years.

Sometimes the tool gets hung while running a plan. Also, sometimes the deployment status is not accurate with regard to UrbanCode Deploy.

The tool's performance goes down when the number of simultaneous users increases.

Technical support for us is good as we are one of the initial big customers for this tool. The tool has developed in consultancy with us.

We were completely manual before this.

Initial setup was complex, as providing user privileges, environment-application mapping, and environment release allocation are some of the pre-install tasks to be completed for creating a plan. Creating a long plan is also complex.

Pricing is on the higher side. Individual licenses for each user is not an expected model for a tool like UrbanCode Release. It should have group licensing.

We evaluated Nolio by CA for release management.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a must have. UrbanCode Deploy provides great advantages.

Technical Specialist - DEVOPS at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Gates help approvers provide their approvals without having to rely on when deployment happens.

What is most valuable?

Gates is one interesting feature, which will help approvers provide their approvals in advance, without having to rely on when deployment happens.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped developers manage and deploy their own applications.

What needs improvement?

The Archiving policy is something which should be looked at.

The resource tree is pretty bulky and slow. Making a change to the resource tree manually is pretty difficult when size increases.

I have been using it for more than six years.

Sometimes logs were not returned back and answers were not found, but still re-executing them worked fine.

Also, when the application history grows and resource tags with component tags are used, actual deployment take-off occurs much later than when you start the deployment.

I have not encountered any stability issues, as such, in 6.1

I have encountered scalability; the artifact's clean-up policy is not efficient, so it takes up a huge amount of storage.

Also, when you have a large number of components in the same application, the deployment take-off is very slow. I assume it fetches the current inventory and compares it against the requested version.

Customer service is good, as opposed to earlier products where recreating the problem on the IBM side used to take days.

Support is great, I would say. They are very reachable, collaboratively connect and help solve the problem

We had home-grown solutions different for different applications. We have standardized by adopting this solution.

Initial setup was not that complex, but you need to work on integrating this with your company standards, and tools and policies supported.

Implementation started initially with vendor support but post that, it was done on our own. This was when there were only a few members at the company when we started in 2010. So, not much documentation and help was available.

ROI is difficult to explain but it's provided huge savings.

It is a bit costly but good ARA tools are not free, and this has competitive pricing.

Before we chose this solution, we evaluated other options.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good tool to use if you have a substantially big enterprise.

it_user401046
Sr. Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

It has out-of-the-box integration with source-code repositories, various ticketing systems, plus a wide variety of plugins to use during deployment. Custom plugin development was easy and the tools capability of keeping the version tracking of workflows were pretty good.

How has it helped my organization?

It provided a reduction in deployment time and lowered the application downtime.

What needs improvement?

More out of the box plugins are required though good number are avaialble at the moment.

I've used it for one-and-a-half years. The sole purpose of the tool was to pick the application binaries from various sources and deploy them on target systems.

There were some issues related to high memory consumption, but those were primarily due to the deployment workflows being developed incorrectly.

There were no issues with the stability.

The tool is capable of handling the load. The single application server was handling 50-70 applications which were quite complex in nature.

7/10

We used BMC BladeLogic previously. BladeLogic is more for automating tasks performed on servers like compliance, patching, and provisioning. It is not suited for devops/application deployment and hence the migration from BMC to IBM.

It was fairly simple as the product is easy to install.

We did it in-house with failover.

For us, it was more about automating the complex application deployments which were manual for years. IBM products are expensive unless you can strike a deal. However, the tool did help us in automating the use cases and integrate with existing platforms via plugins.

We explored Ansible, Puppet and Chef. I worked on Chef for a few days and I am not a very big fan of it, probably due to my lack of interest.

What other advice do I have?

For DevOps, this tool is one of the best with all its integration capabilities for repositories and various systems. Perform the initial setup carefully, and probably with someone who has knowledge on the tool plus enough experience of designing infrastructure solutions. For me, the pain starts due to mostly incorrectly designed/implemented tools.

Simardeep Singh
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It has flexible deployment options, allowing us to model our components as we want and need. More plugins are required.

Valuable Features

It has flexible deployment options, allowing us to model our components as we want and need, which is the most valuable feature we've found from our experience with it.

Improvements to My Organization

It reduced more than 70% of our manual effort when it automated deployment of both UNIX and Windows-based applications using UrbanCode Deploy. We used plugins available in the plugin center and used UNIX shell and powershell scripts to automate completely.

Room for Improvement

More plugins are required. There are also many bugs in UrbanCode Deploy. Finally, database deployment and rollback of databases needs to be worked on.

Use of Solution

I've used it for one year two months.

It does not support variable changes and utilizations while executing the application. We were setting the variable values in the application process and using it in the same process, but apparently that's not supported.

There have been no issues with the stability.

We have had no issues scaling it.

Technical support is very good.

Refer to the IBM Learning Center as that will help with the setup

Implementation Team

We used a vendor team for our implementation.

Other Solutions Considered

Rundeck is also a good option, but UrbanCode Deploy provides more features and is easier to use.

Other Advice

Before buying this, try the trial version and check if it serves your purpose.

AIX Build&Deployment Specialist at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has automated the deployment of tasks to different environments which we were previously only able to do manually. They need to reduce the footprint and improve the performance of UD agent.

Valuable Features

• Rich plugins
  • Visualized process design
  • Visualized approval process

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

They need to reduce the footprint and improve the performance of UD agent. If the agent runs for too long it can cause a memory issue on the production server. We must keep the agent offline and only enable them during deployment.

Use of Solution

We've used it for three years.

There have been no issues with the deployment.

There was no issues with the stability of UD agent.

We have had no issues scaling it for our needs.

In my experience, I'd say that technical support has been good so far.

The initial setup is easy and straightforward.

Implementation Team

We implemented it with our in-house team.

Other Solutions Considered

We compared UrbanCode Deploy with XebiaLabs XL. We chose UCD because of the process design function.

Other Advice

The product became more complex after IBM acquired it.

it_user382419
IT Architect at a tech company with 51-200 employees

Valuable Features

We have 5,000 to 6,000 developers and we wanted to make sure that with such a large community, we were able to scale up to support thousands and thousands of applications, around 4,000 of them. They're all being continuously deployed through UrbanCode.

It's a great product and a great framework. If you're on a team that has a good mixture of both developers and people who operate the environment or have an operations focus, you're going to love this tool because it allows you to easily integrate with your environment.

Our integration involves a portal that allows our developer and app teams to order application environments (similar to an AWS portal). The self-service tool integrates with APIs for deployments that automatically create the integrations required to develop and deploy our code. So UrbanCode's APIs have made it much easier to enable application developers to create apps much more quickly with its self-service mechanism, speeding up the entire process. If we didn't have the API, it would make it much tougher for us to support, scale, and do self-service in our application-development process.

Improvements to My Organization

One area is with Java deployment. We were able to reduce this from 20 steps to 4 or 5 steps, which is about a 4x reduction in complexity and specification, making it easier for our Java developers to develop and deploy their code.

The other area is not just with the tool itself, but with company culture and taking advantage of technology. UrbanCode Deploy has really transformed the way we do code deployment, connecting development and operations more closely. We're almost 100% of the way there with a cohesive devops, which I can quantify at about a 28% improvement.

Room for Improvement

Its reliability has been a little suspect, and one of our frustrations has been that it's taken them some time to focus on fixing that problem. They're able to simulate customer environments and configurations in terms of size and setup, so that when they're in development, they can run test cycles and build product enhancements and fix problems for customers. Instead, it seems they're building something locally with synthetic data that doesn't really match any customer.

Another area of improvement would be plug-ins, which seem to not have kept pace with current technology. I feel that they don't have enough staff to build plug-ins, and it's a struggle for us. It should be part and parcel of what the product is, which includes the ability to integrate with many different technologies in a centralized deployment architecture. Plug-ins multiply the value of the product, especially when you then have the ability to stretch to new integrations and technologies without having to wait on IBM to develop something.

Use of Solution

I've used it for two years.

We had a fairly in-depth POC where we took all our key platform deployment types. For example, at the time we had a very small WebLogic environment and deployed into Teradata, Oracle, and Red Hat OpenShift. During the 2-3 week POC, we analyzed our deployment of existing scripts, embedded them into UrbanCode Deploy, and automated their execution. This required a bit of decomposition in our existing scripts in order to properly implement the product.

It actually didn't require a lot of effort on our part, which is one of the advantages of UrbanCode. So that was one of the compelling things that encouraged our thinking during our POC -- that it wouldn't take us that much time to convert our environment over to using it.

On the whole, I've had really good experiences with technical support, especially since we're a strong partner with IBM. As I'm an architect, I don't submit as many trouble tickets as I used to, but when I did, the tickets were impactful and technical support was very responsive. I was able to get to level 3 support fairly easily.

I set it up, but I did have someone bless the configuration to reassure us that we had set it up well enough to scale to cover our IT.

ROI

ROI is tricky to pin down. There are a couple of good metrics in areas for which we were able to reduce the complexity of deployments. See the above discussion regarding organizational improvements.

Other Advice

Understand your environment, your processes, and how your teams use your technologies. Make sure you spend some time decomposing those areas and making sure that the orchestrations and automations you create fit your customers' needs. Don't have the expectation that it's going to be easy and plug-and-play out-of-the-box.

it_user387936
Software Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Getting the deployments automated adds a lot of value. We use it to reproduce deployments and for the traceability aspect.

Valuable Features

Getting the deployments automated adds a lot of value. Before we automated deployments, there was a big problem with manual intervention and people making changes on production services and forgetting what they did. It was just impossible to reproduce deployments.

Then there's the traceability aspect -- you can trace back to the code which is stored in ClearCase through the build. All the deployment artifacts can be traced back to the original source.

Room for Improvement

The biggest area of improvement that I would suggest is in the upgrade process. We started 2015 with uDeploy 4.7, and in order to get the latest version, we had to upgrade first to version 5, which was introduced for the IBM branding. That was straightforward enough, but the jump from version 5 to version 6.1.2 was enormous. We had to focus on testing the security model because it was completely new. We documented and tested it in a production environment. Once we did the upgrade, we found another big change in the version implemented, which we didn't anticipate and which caused problems in our production environment. We re-architected the implementation and there were 4-5 failings we had to work through. Future upgrades probably won't be this difficult, but this one was tough.

In terms of functionality, the reporting could be improved a bit. It seems like the new version has better reporting capability, but data visualization would be nice to have.

Use of Solution

We first started using uDeploy around 2011 or 2012, but when we started to automate our deployments in 2010, we used Anthill Pro. When we started using uDeploy, we kept Anthill Pro as a backend for the builds. We now are on version 6.1.2 of uDeploy.

It's less stable than our other IBM products. We have ClearCase, and it rarely is unstable as it's designed for devops work and can deal with the development process on the product itself. There have been a lot of broken stoppages in uDeploy 6.1.2, particularly in the upgrade. We installed the newer 6.2.01 in our sister environment and actually had some regressions in the interface. It seems to have the stability level of open-source products.

It's scaled fine for what we need it to do. We have over a hundred applications configured in it.

They're always knowledgeable, but it seems they're overwhelmed. They're great and deal with our issues, but it seems the hurdle is their other customers who also need help. There aren't enough resources available.

Other Advice

It's really good if you have a lot of applications that need to be deployed in different environments. You need to have a team to support it because there's a lot of different pieces and it's a really deep solution. There are many features, only some of which we've been using. It's not the kind of thing that only one person can work on. It's not for a small shop; it's for an enterprise.

it_user387957
Senior Release Engineer at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
The ability to deploy as often as possible allows a number of people to work on it at the same time.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

It's provided us with more reliable and faster deployments, as well as the ability and flexibility to create and modify deployment applications to meet the needs of the ping.

What needs improvement?

We're running version 4.8.4, which isn't the latest version. This version lacks reporting, which may be improved in the latest version.

I've used it for four years.

It's been a very stable product. We've had a few performance issues, but they haven't been serious. I'd say we've been going for a couple of years without having any issues or needing any support or assistance.

It's absolutely scalable. We have gone from about 17 products to 32, maybe it was 42 since we've gotten uDeploy. Before it could take a couple of days and we could only do a few deployments, just barely a few in a month. Now we can do multiple deployments in a day, we can get hotfixes out very quickly, and we can easily modify and customize processes as the needs of the teams change. It scales very well for us. We also, for instance, have needed to improve our security and all that is there in uDeploy. We don't have to do anything other than figure out how to configure it.

Technical support is always very knowledgeable and proactive. In contacting different people, we've always had very good responses.

We weren't using anything before and we had to get something up and running quickly. It did take us a little longer to get the uDeploy up and running than we'd hoped, but once we did it certainly met all of our needs.

It was complex at times. It took us a while to come up with the standard process that we needed, but then once we had it it also took a while to actually get all of our projects up and running. We didn't know how to use the CLI at that time. We might have been able to do better if we knew that.

It was all done in-house. I'll add a comment that the learning curve for uDeploy is high. Even now there's a couple of us who know it well, but being able to bring somebody else on-board and explain it to them would take a little time. Of course, now that we know what we're doing, we have somebody so we can explain it to somebody else, but at the time when we started and since we didn't know what we were doing, and it took a lot of trial and error to figure out how to use it.

What other advice do I have?

Standardize processes as much as possible so that you can re-use them. Don't be afraid to create multiple applications when that reduces the complexity. Don't make applications really complex to try and do all these things all at once. If you can, break it down into smaller apps because they're easier to manage. Generally the more independent things are then the fewer things break at any one time.

If you have problems, it doesn't affect more than just the particular instance that you're looking at. Our developers have done a lot to break down our projects into smaller and smaller pieces so that they help with that. We can deploy an application, but if it's only got three modules that are changed, then we only need to deploy three modules. Breaking it down into independent pieces and reusing them, I think, is really important.

Integrating it with an automated build system, I highly recommend that. We use Jenkins. We can easily connect our Jenkins artifacts and push them to uDeploy so that they can be deployed. We have some interaction between the two so that we have good auditing and knowing which build is the one that got deployed. In fact, using versions that relate to the build version, so that when you go into uDeploy and you look at a version then you can see that that version came from specific build and the build tool, that's really helpful.

It just changed my whole job and made it easier. I'm sure that some people might have different opinions on that, but coming from where we were and getting to where we are was just never could have been done without uDeploy and it's just incredibly powerful for us.

it_user382521
Enterprise Development and Deployment Support at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's user-friendly enough for our development team to access and use on a daily basis.

What is most valuable?

There are several most valuable features for us.

1. Automation of deployment processes for all our projects;
  2. It's user-friendly enough for our development team to access and use on a daily basis; and
  3. The lead approval process is one of the unique features in it that can't be found in any other automation tool.

How has it helped my organization?

It's improved our organization's functions in a few ways.

1. It has automated the manual deployment process for all Java, .NET, and C++ applications;
  2. It makes is easy to track production releases with date and time; and
  3. It's gotten rid of the manual errors for deployment that occurred from manual testing.

What needs improvement?

I think that the IBM support team needs to be more proactive in their responses to PMR tickets raised by customers. Also, the plugins for ServiceNow Integration need to be updated.

I've used it for three years.

We've haven't encountered any issues with deployment.

We haven't experienced any issues of instability.

We've been able to scale sufficiently.

I'd rate customer service at a 5 out of 10.

I'd rate technical support at a 6 out of 10.

We previously used IBM Rational Build Forge and then migrated to UrbanCode Deploy, which has more flexibility and process-oriented features.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward with the installation of agents and clients. The configuration process and specific jobs are dependent on the complexity of your application or project.

Our client's in-house team helped with the implementation, and they had an expertise of about an 8 out of 10.

I can't say exactly what our ROI is, but as we're in the insurance sector, I know that this is a cost-efficient tool.

It's available at a very reasonable price.

We evaluated OpenStack and Amazon Web Services.

What other advice do I have?

It's best to do a POC on the applications you're currently running to check the feasibility of using UrbanCode Deploy.

it_user375798
Coordinator-Release Management at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
We like a few things, such as the calendar, the permissions model, and the process editing. Sometimes the deployment process reports are faulty.

What is most valuable?

We like a few things, such as the calendar, the permissions model, and the process editing. The component template and deployment interface are very good.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization has already improved by quite a bit by taking out so much manual intervention from multiple people doing the deployments. We've simplified our process and the deployments are now much faster.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes the deployment process reports are faulty. I've run into situations where the job says it was successful but it really erred-out. It would be nice if the reports are correct all the time.

The configurations tab takes forever to load. It doesn't work very well so that needs to be improved. Also, you can't filter by resource tag, which would be useful.

We've used it for six months.

The deployment reports are faulty.

So far, the product has been very stable.

We're in the process of moving pretty much most of our codes to run through it one way or another. I anticipate it will scale well.

So far, we haven't had an issues with support so it seems okay.

Our existing solution was mostly manual deployments so that, of course, is very error-prone. We looked at several different solutions to try to see what we could implement quickly and what would have the most impact, the most return on investment in a relatively quick amount of time. This was the tool we decided to try out and so far it's working pretty good.

It's very time consuming, the setup of the solution. We ended up scripting a lot of it, so that it was quicker. There's a lot of pieces that you have to set up for one particular job to run on it. You can actually make steps and end up having to sit there and figure out what you missed, so we ended up scripting a lot of it so that we wouldn't miss pieces, which made it also quicker to set up new applications, to be able to get all the way through deployment.

We implemented it with our in-house team.

What other advice do I have?

It's a pretty straightforward tool for straightforward deployments. If they have many complicated deployments, they're going to really want to look at the plugins and what's out of the box to make sure that it's going to be able to do what they need to do, and that they need to make sure that they have the resources and time to spend setting it up.

it_user380979
Application Developer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Prior deployments and logging stored in a web GUI can now be accessed by any member of the team.

What is most valuable?

There are three main valuable features for us:

1. The ability to deploy objects consistently to any of our multiple environments;
  2. Prior deployments and logging stored in a web GUI which can be accessed by any member of the team; and
  3. Flexibility of the plugin system to use features supplied by IBM or the ability to write our own.

How has it helped my organization?

Teams are now able to schedule deployments to any environment and watch in a screen the deployment occur. This has allowed teams to reduce the number of staff online when a deployment occurs.

Tracking and audit-ability of the deployments are easy and allow teams to research any issues quickly and resolve the issue with little assistance.

What needs improvement?

The reporting functionality is limited and it is difficult to retrieve information from the database due to the table structure.

We've used it for about one year.

We encountered no issues with deployment.

We have occasional minor issues with stability.

We've had no issues scaling it.

6/10

7/10

The prior solution was created by our company. We determined that to add the features required to expand our solution, it was better to use a vendor product.

The initial setup was straightforward and well-documented.

We implemented it through our in-house team.

I'm not able to answer this.

Cost is based on the number of agents installed. This is normally one agent per target box/system.

Yes, we evaluated Jenkins.

What other advice do I have?

This product is excellent for deploying components and running processes related to deployments. It is not intended to be a build system, but is easy enough to incorporate into any CI Build system. The tool has two "sister" products which work well with UrbanCode Deploy. It is intended for this tool to be used for larger companies.

it_user202026
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reliable deployments from one environment to the next.

Valuable Features:

Repeatable, reliable deployments from one environment to the next.

Improvements to My Organization:

We are able to help customers automate deployments reliably.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for eight months.

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

Scalability Issues:

No issues encountered.

The IBM Urbancode team is a great bunch of people and they are extremely knowledgeable.

Valuable Features:

Repeatable, reliable deployments from one environment to the next.

Improvements to My Organization:

We are able to help customers automate deployments reliably.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for eight months.

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

Scalability Issues:

No issues encountered.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an IBM business partner.
IT Technical Analyst at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It doesn't support build automation however we are able to follow the whole release cycle for more than 700 diverse apps

What is most valuable?

Plugin-based architecture.

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided a platform for traceability across the whole release cycle for more than 700 diverse applications.

What needs improvement?

• Licensing structure - pay per machine deployed to.
  • Additional integrations with ALM solutions.
  • Unclear why it doesn't support build automation, which is covered by a separate product.

3 months.

No issues encountered.

No - scalability is handled via client relays which offload the server's work to proxies.

Good.

Good so far. Not a lot of history there.

Yes, we used Build Forge. It's a build tool that was being re-purposed for deploy and it was beginning to fail often.

Very straightforward. Command line prompts to install all components, and hook into enterpriseDB. Trial version will use its own Derby DB.

TBD. Have handled most of this in-house so far, but we have a service contract available. No info on expertise.

No specific numbers right now, but we're saving the deploy team, the infrastructure team, the help desk team, and the development teams many hours. Results are variable based on how much automation was already done, and the quality of the legacy code.

Evaluated Automic, CA product offerings. Also kept tabs on the Serena offering.

What other advice do I have?

• Start with small wins to build momentum towards the larger applications.
  • Align with the compliance team from the beginning. We had compliance and internal audit in the room for the PoC to run through concerns up front.
it_user163686
Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Import/Export of application automation data has room for improvement but Server/Agent architecture is valuable.

What is most valuable?

I've found that the most valuable feature is the Server/Agent architecture. In most cases, once you install the agent onto a machine, you rarely (if ever) need to log on to the agent machine itself to diagnose issues with most scripted deployment tasks.

How has it helped my organization?

Urbancode Deploy allowed us to implement a nearly-complete Continuous Delivery solution for one of our web applications - builds were deployed and promoted straight through from a development environment all the way to a Staging/UAT environment with little to no engineer interaction.

What needs improvement?

Upgrade & Migration from older versions, as well as Import & Export of application automation data between multiple environments has some room for improvement.

2.5 years.

Installation into a clean environment is easy and straightforward. Upgrading an existing Urbancode Deploy server is unfortunately quite tricky, as many of the migration scripts for the database need patching and fixes based on the specific customer install.

Only on a couple of very rare occasions, and IBM Tech Support was very responsive in all of those.

Yes, with this particular product it is important to heed the provided best practices for inventory management and server specs - the larger the installation footprint, the more quickly the internal database size and repository size will grow if not managed appropriately.

Their sales and licensing support seems adequate. I would encourage any potential customer to make sure they accurately forecast their licensing needs as the PO process seems to take weeks rather than days.

IBM's Technical support is fantastic when you are in a "down" state - unfortunately I feel it drops off quite quickly from there. If the application is not entirely non-functional, their capacity for working through functional issues does not seem very deep.

Yes, I have used FinalBuilder for deployment automation - which did not use a Server/Agent model or offer any sort of repository management or inventory tracking, which were the major selling points for Urbancode Deploy.

Initial setup in a clean environment is very straightforward.

In-house.

Urbancode Deploy allowed our group to go from managing deployment of two enterprise applications to fifteen, over the course of 18 months, with no increase in staffing or increase in system downtime. The number of deployments performed by our group increased exponentially and our deployment success rate went up by quite a bit.

Yes, we evaluated Thoughtworks GO and Nolio alongside this product.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to budget for/ accommodate a demo/dev/test environment for uDeploy as well as a production environment.

Systems Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
I like the web interface for deployment to various enviorments. Would like to have full blown support for repositories.

What is most valuable?

• Automatic detection of new builds (via an agent on Nexus).
  • The ability to easily create a custom deployment workflow in the web interface.

How has it helped my organization?

Deployment to various environments can be done from a web interface without needing to manually copy files around or log into systems to run scripts.

What needs improvement?

Full blown support for repositories such a SonaType Nexus would be better than having to deploy an agent to watch particular filesystem paths.

We've been using IBM UrbanCode for 3 months.

No issues with deployment and the automatic deployment of agents and agent relay has proved very useful.

We have not encountered any issues with stability.

Currently a single node is sufficient for our needs, so scalability has not been an issue.

There was no need to contact customer service.

There was no need to contact technical support.

The previous solution was a mix of manually copying files around and logging into systems to run scripts. IBM UrbanCode Deploy enabled us to easily take builds from SonaType Nexus and deploy them into the environments without needing manual steps.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was very easy to install and configure IBM UrbanCode Deploy and remotely deploy its agents.

In-house.

Before chosing this product we also evaluated Midvision RapidDeploy, Thoughtworks Go and Xebia Labs XL Deploy.
Thoughtworks Go: the plugin to integrate with Sonatype Nexus is a thirdparty plugin and has been broken for sometime.
Xebia Labs XL Deploy: The set up of each app for deployment is overly complicated.