Varonis Datalert OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Varonis Datalert is the #9 ranked solution in our list of top User Behavior Analytics - UEBA tools. It is most often compared to Splunk User Behavior Analytics: Varonis Datalert vs Splunk User Behavior Analytics

What is Varonis Datalert?

Varonis Datalert prevents data breaches and alert on suspicious activity, stop ransomware, and defend your data from insider threats. It monitors enterprise assets for suspicious activity and unusual behavior, detecting critical events and compromised assets on your core infrastructure: Windows, UNIX/Linux, NAS, Active Directory, SharePoint, Exchange, and Office 365. It detects insider threats and cyber threats by analyzing data, account activity, and user behavior and automate responses to suspicious activity and alert on unusual behavior - using deep analysis of metadata, machine learning, and advanced User Behavior Analytics (UBA).

Download the User Behavior Analytics - UEBA Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Varonis Datalert Customers

Enterprise Strategy Group

Varonis Datalert Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Varonis Datalert pricing:
  • "Licensing is on an annual basis. Maintenance and renewal fees are separate. Varonis Datalert is quite expensive."

Varonis Datalert Reviews

JP
IT Security Admin at a university with 501-1,000 employees
It does a good job on file share awareness and has phenomenal technical support

• "On the Varonis side, technical support is phenomenal. Their ability to explain is very good, and they seem to be very knowledgeable. When I get an alert that doesn't quite make sense, they dive in there and kind of take me through it. That's very useful and very good. There are some false alerts, but it is better to have a false alert than no alert at all."
  • "We have Microsoft Office 365. I just saw an article today which says that they're actually getting integrated with Microsoft Office 365, which would be a useful feature. For user-based reports, log on activity, and stuff like that, it doesn't seem to really be present like Log360. That could just be my inexperience with it. I've been dealing with it for only about two and a half months."

What is our primary use case?

I'm relatively new to this organization. I'm just comparing and contrasting ManageEngine Log360 and Varonis DatAlert. Both tools are rather new to me. I know that they're kind of looking at both. I don't know if they're going to want to maintain both. There seem to be some use cases to retain both. I think they've had DatAlert a little bit longer than Log360.

I've done a couple of webinars, but I haven't had a whole lot of time to just kind of dive into both of those. I'm still in the developmental stage, and I am evaluating both of these solutions. I am trying to compare apples to apples as to what they do and where their strengths and weaknesses lie to make sure that if we got rid of one, we weren't going to be missing out on something.

What is most valuable?

On the Varonis side, technical support is phenomenal. Their ability to explain is very good, and they seem to be very knowledgeable. When I get an alert that doesn't quite make sense, they dive in there and kind of take me through it. That's very useful and very good. There are some false alerts, but it is better to have a false alert than no alert at all.

What needs improvement?

We have Microsoft Office 365. I just saw an article today which says that they're actually getting integrated with Microsoft Office 365, which would be a useful feature.

For user-based reports, log on activity, and stuff like that, it doesn't seem to really be present like Log360. That could just be my inexperience with it. I've been dealing with it for only about two and a half months.

This tool is rather new to me. I've been dealing with it for only about two and a half months.

Their technical support is phenomenal.

I'm just comparing and contrasting ManageEngine Log360 and Varonis DatAlert. Log360 seems to do a little bit a better job on user-based awareness for running reports, and DatAlert seems to be doing a little bit better job on file share awareness. Log360 seems to actually be a full scene, and Varonis seems to integrate with scenes.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Varonis DatAlert a nine out of ten.

RR
Senior Security Engineer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Top-notch alerting and reporting

• "That alerting and reporting service is great."
  • "The GUI should be more functional. There should be a process for connecting through Chrome, Internet Explorer, etc."

What is our primary use case?

This solution informs us about who's moving data, whether accidentally or on purpose. If a mass folder deletion occurs or mass copying, master lateral movements, things like that, then this solution sends us an alert. We set up the alerts and this solution informs us of who's moving the data. Sometimes people drag and drop by mistake; this can move thousands of files and folders — depending on their size. If this happens, the system alerts us so we can correct it before it affects our users. We also use it for monetary purposes.

We use this solution to monitor all of our 16,000 users. Regarding the admin solution, we have around 10 users.

What is most valuable?

That alerting and reporting service is great.

What needs improvement?

The troubleshooting capabilities could be improved. It has so many interconnected components. It connects with Active Directory, SharePoint, Exchange, and NetApp. Trying to troubleshoot all of these components can get very complicated — especially with NetApp.

This solution is stable and reliable.

We expanded this solution in the past — it was a complex process. It cannot be done by an average user. To perform a full upgrade, you'll definitely require assistance from Varonis support.

The technical support is very good — very responsive.

The initial setup was a bit complex. The average user wouldn't be able to do it.

Deployment took between a week or two. The filtering, the fine-tuning; all of that takes a while. Plus, there is ongoing fine-tuning that has to take place after the initial setup.

Licensing is on an annual basis. Maintenance and renewal fees are separate. Varonis Datalert is quite expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others interested in using this solution is to be very careful during the initial installation. Either purchase professional services assistance from a third party or get help from Varonis support. It's not a job that an average user can do. The slightest mistake can wind up costing you a lot of data.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.