Vblock [EOL] OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Vblock [EOL]?

VCE Vblock Systems is an all-in-one virtualization platform that integrates the leading storage, network, and compute technologies from the likes of EMC, VMware and Cisco. VCE Vblock allows organizations to easily and securely deploy cloud computing and virtualization in their environments, supporting these multiple technologies and providing flexibility and agility for changing business needs.

Vblock [EOL] is also known as VCE Vblock.

Download the Converged Infrastructure Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Vblock [EOL] Customers

Xerox, ACS, and Columbia Sportswear.

Vblock [EOL] Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Vblock [EOL] pricing:
  • "Vblock is priced at a premium because people don't want the headache of managing and deploying different products."
  • "The paid support for Vblock is expensive."

Vblock [EOL] Reviews

Tahir Shahid
Chief Consultant and Architect at Tahir Professional Services
Centrally-managed and stable, but the initial setup could be made simpler and technical support can be improved

• "The most valuable feature is that it is centrally managed, as it is quite easy for our customers to manage everything, end-to-end."
  • "With respect to the technical support, there is room for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we specialize in data center-centric, high-end enterprise-level infrastructures. We deal with a variety of things including hyper-converged infrastructure, and Vblock is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There is a different platform and there are different interfaces for different parts of the product. Although there are some centralized components, you still manage each component using its own set of tools. There is definitely room for improvement in this regard.

I would like to have a catalogue like menu where you simply define your end computing needs and the rest would be taken care of internally.

The initial setup could be unified to make it simpler.

I have been working with Vblock for between five and six years.

This is a stable product, which is the primary reason that a customer purchases it. It is guaranteed that it is going to work as it should.

Vblock can be scaled, although it is better to know how big it will need to scale ahead of time. It can become complex very quickly and the whole model is rigid. So, you generally chose which model works best in the environment and you have to stick with it.

With respect to the technical support, there is room for improvement. Because of the model that they are adopting, you are dealing with different departments in the backend. The initial impression you get is that you're dealing with a single group because you're getting one product. However, in the background, you are dealing with different teams who may not necessarily be communicating with each other.

I have experience with several similar solutions by IBM and Dell EMC. VxBlock is the higher-end version of Vblock.

The initial setup is taken care of by DELL EMC, but you're dealing with different teams because of the nature of the product as opposed to a hyper-converged offering.

DELL EMC teams are very well trained and offer very high level of expertise and support.

Vblock is priced at a premium because people don't want the headache of managing and deploying different products. When people buy Vblock, they buy it for a specific reason.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product but having a more seamless, unified product management, deployment, and support would definitely help.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
Fred Armantrout
Senior System Specialist at Burns & McDonnell
A reliable and highly-available solution with good technical support

• "The most valuable features are reliability and high availability."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see a smaller footprint in the data center and have improvements to disk performance."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is as a virtualization host for everything and anything we can run on it.

How has it helped my organization?

Centralized virtual hosting platform in a cohesive system with a bundled verified combination of known hardware, firmware, virtualization

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are reliability and high availability.

What needs improvement?

It's difficult to think of anything that needs to be improved because it's a good stable system, but paid support is expensive so the cost of operation could be lowered.

In the next release, I would like to see a smaller footprint in the data center and have improvements to disk performance.

I have been using VBlock's for over ten years.

This is a highly stable solution.

This solution is scalable if needed to be expanded.

We've never expanded beyond our initial purchase.

All company employees can be using it, so that would be well over seven thousand.

The technical support is good. Tt's only a single phone call for any problem.

Previously, we used standalone VMware on separate hosts.

We switched for the consolidation of equipment into a single system that included storage, host, and compute. All of that improved reliability.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward and it took less than a week.

The seller included installation and the initial configuration.

The paid support for Vblock is expensive.

We looked at other options, but at the time it was the best solution that fit at that time. Ten years ago there were not that many choices, besides building your own.

What other advice do I have?

It is probably due for a replacement because of its age. Usage-wise, we are trying to move things to a cloud installation in place of the on-premises, so it's probably going to be phased out in some form, eventually.

Work with your local representatives from Dell EMC to see if it fits your needs. They have multiple options and versions.

It's been very reliable, the support is very good, and it fit our needs very well, but our needs are constantly changing.

Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, FlexPod, Oracle and others in Converged Infrastructure. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Rajsudheer-Dangeti
Sr Private Cloud Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Leaderboard
A simple pre-built solution with an easy initial setup and good technical support

• "It's an integrated box Mac solution, so it's a plug and play. The deployment and build is pre-made and ready to deploy. It makes it easy to apply."
  • "The user control could be more advanced. They should work to improve this in future releases."

What needs improvement?

I'd like a hypervisor to be added to the solution.

Upgrading should be easier. It should just be a click of a button to upload, enter calls or enter systems.

I've been using the solution for six or seven years.

Scalability is limited. Storage, for example, has a limit. Right now, we have 4-5,000 people using the solution.

Technical support is critical for us. Once you contact support, there may be a follow-on of vendors that will pitch in and help. We can reach out for any technical issue and find assistance.

We did use a different solution, but it was at the end of its life cycle and policy, which is why we switched.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's already applied, so it's very easy to connect the system. The time it takes to deploy depends on the model used. On average, deployment at the factory will take slightly less than five days. It will take another three to four days to do configurations and qualifications and everything but just to set it up it's probably only a couple of hours.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. There are, however, many new solutions coming to the market that have much more advanced features.

Download our free Converged Infrastructure Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, FlexPod, Oracle, and more!