Schedule a 30-minute demo or reference call with a real user from the PeerSpot community. Available only to members that are in a buying process for this product and have contributed a review that's then published.

vCenter Configuration Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

vCenter Configuration Manager is #5 ranked solution in top Configuration Management tools. IT Central Station users give vCenter Configuration Manager an average rating of 8 out of 10. vCenter Configuration Manager is most commonly compared to Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager:vCenter Configuration Manager vs Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is vCenter Configuration Manager?
Automate configuration management across virtual and physical servers, workstations, and desktops.

vCenter Configuration Manager was previously known as vCM.

vCenter Configuration Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the vCenter Configuration Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

vCenter Configuration Manager Customers
Bank Al Bilad, Thomas-Krenn.AG, Pronto!, Unimed Juiz de Fora
vCenter Configuration Manager Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about vCenter Configuration Manager pricing:
  • "Their licensing costs are high. But I think for the scale that we are using, it's suitable. If you use it on a larger scale with many servers, you have to pay a lot of money for them. I think it's suitable for organizations that don't need expert people that want more money each year or each month because it's a straightforward solution. We prefer to pay for these products that are integrated and straightforward."
  • "It is on a yearly basis."

vCenter Configuration Manager Reviews

Francisco Gimo
Management Information System Officer at Kenmare Resources Mauritius
Great for automating and very stable, but complex to implement

• "The solution is excellent at automating processes."
  • "There are some complexities within the system center. For example, we use two different applications for updates and the deployment of the machine. We also have another third party solution."

What is our primary use case?

I provide services to our customers. We largely use it for automation.

How has it helped my organization?

It's allowed us to automate most of the processes that we have in place. All the controls can now update positioning solutions. All of that is done through this software. For the company it's quite valuable, in that it saves resources, however, it also allows the IT team to be concentrated on different tasks. The company is growing and the need to focus on adding more systems etc. is very important. There are a lot of new systems being implemented. By taking manual tasks and automating them, it provides a great value for the customer.

What is most valuable?

The solution is excellent at automating processes.

Overall, it's a great tool.

What needs improvement?

There are some complexities within the system center. For example, we use two different applications for updates and the deployment of the machine. We also have another third party solution.

However, a third-party solution is dedicated to vulnerability management. And all the updates that have to be deployed to a specific product. You spend a lot of time in configuration due to the fact that you need to make sure all of your machines are compliant. Compliance is complicated.

I've been using the solution for about four years.

The stability of the solution is good. We haven't run into any issues with the solution. There aren't sudden crashes. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's reliable.

We haven't had any issues with scalability. If a company needs to expand the solution's services, they can do so easily. From a technical perspective, it's possible.

I've personally contacted technical support in the past.

They were able to assist us with no problem. A few times we managed to sort out the issue ourselves. Still, mainly they do support us. We're quite happy with their services.

One of the things that puts us at an advantage is the fact that we are not yet running the latest versions. The older versions have less issues that need to be ironed out and patched. Therefore, we're working with versions that have already been pretty much perfected. It means there's less reason to contact technical support.

There's a bit of complexity in the initial setup. There are compliance issues you'll need to sort through. Configuration can take a while because of this.

There may be better ways to do things with System Center that we're not aware of. We always try to look at audits before we try a deployment. How long it takes tends to be decided by what a user wants the solution to do and how the company is set up.

If you want to do something relatively simple like automate updates, however, the deployment is quite straightforward. It doesn't take a lot of time.

Also, if you sorted out configurations and taken the time to fix items and iron out details, the solution will deploy fairly easily and deliver its services well.

For example, a deployment that, if done with some center, may require a workaround to sort out any problem beforehand, but once that's done, everything starts working perfectly.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer. We don't have a special relationship with the company.

I would recommend System Center. We are going through a technological era where everything is done using technology, and security measures are important. With this solution, security is already in place.

With this solution, a lot of the items are automated, including a lot of administrative work. You can minimize so many things, including security vulnerabilities, simply by using the solution. It's great.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. They lose a few marks due to their general complexity, which takes a lot of time. Users need to take into consideration bandwidth and network usage when they set things up. While the solution does try to minimize resources, it takes a lot of time to get things where you need them to be. It's not straightforward. You'll need to go through many processes before you get there.

AB
Associate Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It is really affordable and we haven't had any stability or scalability issues

• "It is a stable solution."
  • "The technical support could be faster."

What is our primary use case?

We are responsible for the planning stage only, and we gradually do monthly-based monitoring and capacity utilization of the IT infrastructure. Based on our findings, we do some brainstorming to determine if there was an error or if it was due to less processing or storage capacity or memory management, those kind of things. So we use this program to do internal planning, basically.

What is most valuable?

People will purchase this solution because it is cost-effective and it suits ERP or CRM for the virtual environment solution. Azure is currently very popular in India, and some are using VMware on the Microsoft platform or on Red Hat Linux.

I find the vMotion and the DRS very valuable and important, as it is required for any medium or large IT solution for business applications.

What needs improvement?

Customers who want a business solution, should try to implement the IDL based processes for configuration management, patch management, release management and asset management. It will improve the life cycle management of their solution.

I am very familiar with this program, as I've been using it for almost fourteen years now.

We haven't had any stability issues.

I believe the program is scalable. We have at least three to four people at each site, depending upon the capacity of the internal users within our organization site.

We have support partners with VMware and Microsoft. We give our solutions to the clients based on their requirements, and then we also use the program ourselves. The technical support is not bad. It is good internally for our organization, and we are not facing any problems now. We have not taken platinum support, so our teams that are operating from the client site will have to wait longer to get their problems fixed. That is because every OEM has layers of support for platinum, gold, silver, and those kinds of things.

The initial setup wasn't really complex, it's just that the system integrator and the client should sit together and plan the basic things. They should write down in detail how to collect the information of the IT and non-IT comments, as well as data classification, so that those can be populated into the asset as well as the Configuration Management tool, and subsequently the tool can be used in a better way.

Deployment doesn't take that long. If the data is available, it can be configured within three to four days, after certifying the valid data by the customer. Data collection takes up more time and, again, it depends on the customer, whether it is government or private. If it is government, it takes a little more time because some of the departments will be reluctant to share all their data in one go.

It is an affordable program, but I don't know what the licensing fees are.

What other advice do I have?

In some cases, we require more from the solution than what is offered. We usually map these things into the Configuration Management tool so that they are taken care of or made available faster. I think this should be a part of the program so that those things could be reflected faster.

On a scale from one to 10, I will rate the program between 8.5 to 9.5 because in India some of the medium-sized business enterprises are not having a flexible IT budget for a configuration management tool. They prefer that the system integrator should buy it from his own pocket.

Learn what your peers think about vCenter Configuration Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MahdiBahmani
Solution Architect, IT Consultant at Merdasco - Rayan Merdas Data Prosseccing
Good disaster recovery and business connectivity capabilities but generally doesn't compare to competitors in the field

• "The most valuable features that VMware's vCenter Configuration Manager have, when compared with other solutions, are their disaster recovery and business connectivity capabilities."
  • "It lacks the capability to manage the other systems."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features that VMware's vCenter Configuration Manager have when compared with other solutions are their disaster recovery and business connectivity capabilities. All the software that VMware produces has very good business connectivity and disaster recovery features.

What needs improvement?

Configuration Manager should decrease the deployment time in the data center and the management time as this could help many data centers reduce their operating costs.

I think most of VMware's software is easy and simple to use but they lack the capability to manage other systems. When working with some other software out there you have a total solution for managing and configuring your data centers. Many other virtualization systems have this feature, and it would be a good idea for VMware to switch to this approach because I think most data centers are looking for total solutions to manage their data centers. Our trends show that this kind of simple management software is going to be a part of orchestration systems.

Overall, I think it's good enough to use for most customers who have VMware solutions in their data centers.

I have been working on virtualization for around seven or eight years.

This software helps customers to reduce management operations, including saving their resources and total cost. The basic platform is very good for reducing operational costs. Plus, the automation and easy deployment are very important to many data centers.

In terms of scalability, yes, most of the software that VMware produces is enterprise and scalable and they define the business connectivity and disaster recovery very well in most of their software.

In some cases, I have contacted support when I use the software, but mostly I am helped with the data centers by our in-house engineers. The quality is not black and white. It depends on the engineer that you get, but most of these companies have good software consultants.

The initial setup is perfectly easy to deploy, as well as in other VMware software. It takes less than five hours to deploy.

Most VMware software is easy to use, although you don't need support for deployment, it may be helpful for maintenance.

If you compare the performance between virtualization solutions, I think KVM is better than VMware. But in terms of disaster recovery and business connectivity, VMware has a better-developed software here.

Our company is a data center solution architect and consultant. We look for the best solutions for our customers and we try to find the best one for each project. It doesn't matter if that solution is from a small company or a famous company - we look for the best solution for configuring the situation.

What other advice do I have?

I think before using this kind of software, most companies should train their administrators to ensure that the deployment is perfect. Also, maintenance would be easier if you train your engineers before using this kind of software.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate vCenter Configuration Manager a six. This is because compared to the other solutions such as Microsoft's StoreSafe or Studio Team System solutions or Ubuntu it is not as good.

This software is specific for VMware products whereas the other software is more flexible.

RS
Manager at a media company with 10,001+ employees
An end-to-end configuration management solution with good user experience

• "vCenter has some good user experience, and the initial setup is straightforward."
  • "It would be better to integrate this infrastructure with native cloud environments, but we can't do it. We are trying to improve our experience by converting our infrastructure through virtualization on native cloud environments and workloads."

What is our primary use case?

We have some customers in our company, and we deliver the virtual infrastructure throughout the vCenter portal. We get them some resource pools, and they manage the resource pools. In some cases, if you want to have, for example, a resource manager portal, you can use the Cloud Director. But in most cases, we use the vCenter as a resource pool manager. We also use Vcops for operations management, insight manager, and VMware vRealize Log Insight.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It would be better to integrate this infrastructure with native cloud environments, but we can't do it. We are trying to improve our experience by converting our infrastructure through virtualization on native cloud environments and workloads. It's the most important thing for us. I think that it should be tightly coupled with native cloud environments.

I have been using vCenter Configuration Manager for nearly eight years.

We are not using these products on a very large scale. For example, we use it for 100 servers and not for 1,000 servers. We are using them in a few clusters based on their CPU types. On this scale, we are satisfied with the products. But we don't know if we want to ramp up to larger scales. We don't know if that is suitable or not.

The initial setup was straightforward. It didn't take a long time to deploy this solution.

We used the engineers and assistants. We are training them, and they are doing some VMware courses with some consultants that are experts in these environments. We have an expert consultant that trains the people that work in our environments.

Their licensing costs are high. But I think for the scale that we are using, it's suitable. If you use it on a larger scale with many servers, you have to pay a lot of money for them. I think it's suitable for organizations that don't need expert people that want more money each year or each month because it's a straightforward solution. We prefer to pay for these products that are integrated and straightforward.

We tested OpenStack, but I think it's for more complex environments, and we should pay more money to experts who can maintain this infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give vCenter Configuration Manager an eight.

SB
Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Many features come into play to make this a strong management tool

• "It has many valuable features that serve many purposes."
  • "The ease of setup and installations could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The primary purpose of the product is to maintain system performance and optimize it.

What is most valuable?

I find all of the features of the solution valuable. All of them are valuable although I use some more frequently. I like Snapchat, RDS (Remote Desktop Services), cloning, migration, DDS (Data Distribution Service), and server switch probably as the features I use the most. All of these features serve different purposes and are very useful.

What needs improvement?

Honestly, I do not feel like I am an expert with the product who can suggest technical enhancements. The setup and implementation could probably be better. It does not seem like we should have to do so much manual configuration. Instad of supplying everything manually at the prompts, it should offer some options for automation of the setup. I guess something like that is already available, but if it is I do not know it. If automating the updates were possible to do it would be very nice.

I have been using the product for about 10 years, but I have been working on managing it for the past two to three years.

I have not had to deal directly with the technical support because I am an architect so I am doing high-level design. The technical stuff or the day-to-day operations are done by another team. They are responsible for opening tickets and calls with level one and level two support.

The efficiency of the initial setup is good. Some automation is already available but it could be better. If you have the OVA (Open Virtual Appliance) or if you can somehow install it using the silent mode it would improve the functionality. For example, you create your definition and from that, you can get the parameters automatically without manually entering every field. So you use a pre-defined setup and instead of working manually you just do one click and the changes are pushed out.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate vCenter Configuration Manager as maybe an eight to nine-out-of-ten. To make it even better and to score a ten-of-ten, the ease-of-use and the flexibility of configuration could be improved. If it was easier to use and easier to implement and to set up, it will be closer to a ten.

Abdul Amaan
General Manager IT/system engineer at VT Solutions
Work is simplified with patch management and template features; configurations could be reduced

• "Beneficial patch management and template features."
  • "Not very user friendly, too many configurations."

What is our primary use case?

We use Configuration Manager at one or two companies where we provide services. I live in Fiji and people don't really go into the detail of compliance and automated configuration. Most things are generally done manually so with the implementation of Configuration Manager it becomes automated. There are some reporting and management tasks involved. We're partners with vCenter and I'm the IT general manager.

What is most valuable?

As an engineer, I'd say the most valuable features would be the patch management and templates. Both of these features make my job easier.

What needs improvement?

This is a good solution but it has too many configurations for what it does. In that sense, it's not particularly user friendly and requires too many clicks. From reviews I've read, I believe Acropolis might be easier to use in this regard.

I think the solution pretty much covers everything, I can't think of any additional features that might be useful.

I've been using this solution for the past two years.

The technical support is generally quite good although it depends who you're talking to. Most of the time issues are solved expediently although sometimes it takes a little longer than you'd probably want, but eventually it gets fixed. It's good but it could be better.

The initial setup can be a little complex. It's clear what needs to be done but because of compliance it becomes more complicated. It requires configuring thresholds and standard marks plus automated configurations. It's a matter of implementing some provisioning which can be tedious. I haven't worked with it too much, but it seems quite cumbersome.

Deployment time probably took a little longer in our case because it was implementing  compliance, patch management and software package distribution, so it probably took a couple of days. We used our own team for configuration.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend people use this solution. It can make your life a lot easier and it has a lot of features which could help a system administrator prevent problems and foresee potential issues.

I would rate this solution quite highly but it loses a couple of points because of the complexity so I'll give it a seven out of 10.

RP
IT Admin at Sikraft
Very easy to manage, user-friendly, and simple to set up

• "The solution is very easy to manage."
  • "The snapshot functionality on the solution needs improvement. After renewing the snapshot, all of the production was stuck. Right now, its functionality is one of our main concerns."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to control the host.

What is most valuable?

The feature that is the most valuable for us is the SP portal.

The solution is very user-friendly.

The solution is very easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

Aside from the snapshot, everything else is working fine. I can't think of any other features that we'd need in future releases.

I've been using the solution for the past five years.

The stability of the solution is very good. For us, there was no problem at all in our VMware. We haven't seen any bugs or glitches on the solution that would affect performance.

The scalability of the solution is quite good.

Currently, we have about 100 users on the solution.

The technical support of VMware on Dell is excellent. We've been more than satisfied with their level of service.

We didn't previously use a different solution before implementing this one. It's the first provided by Dell.

The initial setup of the solution is straightforward. We found it very easy.

The deployment was quick as well. It only took us about half an hour to get everything up and running.

You only need one person to manage the deployment of the solution.

The first time we deployed the solution, the Dell team handled the implementation. Now we are able to handle it ourselves.

We've had the solution for four to five years, but I'm unsure of the licensing costs surrounding it.

Before choosing vCenter Configuration Manager we didn't evaluate other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. It's a fantastic product.

SA
Managing Director at tathya technologies pvt ltd opc
Good clustering and load balancing, easy to set up, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

The client I'm working with is basically a national ISP, and they are hosting multiple services and a couple of mail servers and hosting servers. So, basically, clusters are made with multiple hardware and things are running on them.

What is most valuable?

The clustering part and the load balancing part are most valuable.

What needs improvement?

Error reporting should be more precise and descriptive, and there is no way to filter the logs. It would be helpful if its logs analysis can be more detailed, and the logs can be filtered.

I have been using this solution for about three years.

Its stability is good. It is stable and very traditional.

What do

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The clustering part and the load balancing part are most valuable.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for about three years.

Its stability is good. It is stable and very traditional.

It is indeed scalable. In terms of the number of users, we have three or four admin users.

In this company, presently, there is not much scope for increasing the usage. It is currently able to meet their requirements. They're using it on a small scale, and they don't need all of its features. Whatever is there at the moment is sufficient for them. I'm not sure if there is an immediate requirement for expansion. They might scale up, but it is going to take time.

I never needed any support.

Previously, I used to use Hypervisor and OpenStack, but a lot of involvement was there, so we slowly switched to VMware vCenter.

It was quite easy. It didn't take a long time. Anyone with basic networking knowledge can do it.

We didn't use an integrator or a consultant.

It is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate vCenter Configuration Manager a nine out of 10.

Product Categories
Configuration Management
Download our free vCenter Configuration Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.