GN
IT System Manager and Infrastructure Architect at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to use with good online integration and very stable

• "The online configuration, especially in the latest version, is very good."
  • "The solution could be more integrated with the Microsoft environment."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to manage the virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

The solution overall is very good.

The online configuration, especially in the latest version, is very good.

It's worked well for us so far and hasn't disappointed on any level.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of an aspect that needs improvement, as it's work so well for us so far.

The solution could be more integrated with the Microsoft environment.

I've used the solution for ten years now. It's been a decade.

The solution is very stable. It's reliable. We don't have issues like crashes. It doesn't freeze. there aren't bugs or glitches.

The scalability of the solution is very high because it can scale in or out, so it's very good. If a company needs a solution that can size up or down to fit their needs, this is it.

We've never directly contacted the solution's technical support. We have a partner that assists us if we run into issues of any kind. Therefore, I can't speak to their level of service.

The initial setup happened about a decade ago, therefore I don't recall all of the details. However, I don't remember it being complex or difficult. It was pretty straightforward.

The deployment didn't take too long. It might have been an hour and a half or so.

We have a two-man engineering team that handles maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

We're VMware partners.

I'd recommend the solution. It's very good. A company wouldn't have any trouble implementing it. It doesn't disappoint, and I don't see an area where it is lacking.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

AF
IT Manager at Inelectra, S.A.C.A.
A user-friendly end-to-end configuration management solution

• "vCenter Configuration Manager is pretty simple."
  • "I think the logging side should be improved because it's pretty difficult to keep up to date VMware and with vCenter."

What is our primary use case?

We use vCenter Configuration Manager at least four times a year. We start at the baseline, deploy the virtual machine's upgrade, and set the new parameters for the virtual machine.

We use vCenter Configuration Manager for the configuration of vCenter, the DC host, and all the HP. Every time the HP sends logs or patches, we deploy them through vCenter Configuration Manager. We also use the vRealize Log Insight. I'm connected at this moment through vCenter.

What is most valuable?

vCenter Configuration Manager is pretty simple.

What needs improvement?

They should make it easier to log in and communicate with them. At the moment, I'm using vRealize Log Insight because it's a pretty easy tool to keep up to date with everything. But it would be easier if I could do it through vCenter Configuration Manager. I think the logging side should be improved because it's pretty difficult to keep up to date VMware and with vCenter.

vCenter Configuration Manager is stable. One or two of our servers are very old machines, and the stability was pretty intuitive to get the information, so we made it inclusive. We made some adjustments with our machine to get more results to include more machines in the VMware environment.

vCenter Configuration Manager is scalable. I really like it.

Technical support is perfect. We activated it at least four times, and it was wonderful.

It's easy to set up and implement vCenter Configuration Manager. To configure the whole thing, including the hub, the whole deployment, including the integration of 100 servers, took us about six months. It takes less than a month just to configure vCenter.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend vCenter Configuration Manager to potential customers.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give vCenter Configuration Manager a ten.

Learn what your peers think about vCenter Configuration Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,608 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IlanBen Shetrit
Solution Architect & Presale at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
The interface is very user-friendly and the solution is simple to use

• "The interface is very user-friendly and the solution is simple to use."
  • "The reporting could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a client that has an environment with three data centers with 25 hosts per site on each of them. There's also a headquarters in Israel. The solution is used at each center.

What is most valuable?

The interface is very user-friendly and the solution is simple to use.

What needs improvement?

The solution could use an internal cloud service. It should offer a vCloud foundation, but on-premises. For example, a small cloud environment or something that can be built on-premises and not hosted by Microsoft or other big hosting sites. We'd like to use some sort of vCloud to take the risks away from headquarters. The resources would be on-site on the customer side.

The reporting could be improved.

I've been using VMware in general for 12-14 years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is scalable. Our last project was for a company with a workforce of around 10,000 people.

As integrators, we often are the technical support for our customers. Their technical support that the solution offers is also good.

We didn't previously use another solution. We prefer VMware.

The initial setup's difficulty depends on the client's environment. Deployment can be complex or simple, but it depends on the underlying architecture. It can take anywhere from two weeks to one year.

We're integrators, so we handle the implementation for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

We're an integration company.

I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it eight out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Integration Partner
Noor Parkar
Sr. System and Storage Administrator at a government with 51-200 employees
An easy initial setup with a good user interface and good technical support

• "The solution is stable and we haven't run into issues with bugs or glitches."
  • "The solution should allow for more customization."

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very good.

We like the level of technical support that we get using this product.

What needs improvement?

I don't think there are any features that the solution is lacking.

The solution is already quite user-friendly and offers good technical support, but it could always be further refined and improved.

The solution should allow for more customization.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The solution is stable and we haven't run into issues with bugs or glitches.

The solution is easily scalable. We've found it easy to expand. Other companies should not have any trouble if they need to scale it out as well.

We have about 10-15 people using the solution currently. They're all admins.

The technical support is very good. We've had a good experience with them and are satisfied with their level of support.

VMware is the most popular solution in the market and now everybody is using it. It is the most reliable as well. However, in my opinion, there are not enough competitors in the market, and all offer similar functionality.

The initial setup is quite easy. It's not complex. The solution offers good documentation that assists in the process.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and have no special relationship with vCenter. We use the latest version of the solution.

I would recommend the solution. I'd rate it eight out of ten.

AN
Datacenter Pre-Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Enables us to monitor our VMs and environment

• "There are a lot of features, but I've found vMotion and VRS most valuable."
  • "There isn't a clear document covering all the errors. It would be helpful if the company provided better documentation for solving issues."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use for vCenter is to manage my hosts and all my VMs via vCenter. I can also monitor my VMs and my environment.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features, but I've found vMotion and VRS the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The main issue I have with vCenter Configuration Manager is that when I have a problem or error, I have to search a lot to get the solution. There isn't a clear document, and in some instances, none at all. There isn't a clear document covering all the errors. It would be helpful if the company provided better documentation for solving issues.

Additionally, I'd like to see more automation features in the next releases. If they could add more automation features to make the configuration and implementation processes easier, that would be good.

I have been using vCenter Configuration Manager for about six months. I'm pre-sales but lately my company and I have gotten a new task to go more deeply into technical problems and technical configuration.

This product is very stable, it's a very good product.

Configuration Manager is scalable.

The initial setup was simple.

We didn't evaluate a competitor, we only work with VMWare.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of 1 - 10, I would rate it an 8. I would recommend vCenter Configuration Manager to other users.

LD
Microsoft Architect at a non-tech company with 11-50 employees
A strong solution that is easy to set up and highly available

• "I appreciate it because it's very easy to set up and configure new disks and servers."
  • "It is not so user-friendly that you can just start the host and everything works."

What is our primary use case?

We have a basic configuration with a host in a cluster, and a virtual machine.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are vMotion and high availability.

I appreciate it because it's very easy to set up and configure new disks and servers.

What needs improvement?

The pricing can be improved.

It is not so user-friendly that you can just start the host and everything works. However, for somebody with five or ten years of experience, the administration is not very difficult.

We have been using VCM for close to one year.

This is a stable and very strong solution.

We have not needed to scale as of yet.

I have not had the need to contact technical support.

Our intention is to upgrade to version 7.

The initial setup is not complex.

We have an in-house team for deployment. Two of us are in charge of using and maintaining this product, and we are both administrators.

We did not continue to look for other products after evaluating VMware.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

ZS
Director of Maintenance Systems Division Data Center at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Feature-rich, but it needs more flexibility in multi-tenancy permissions

• "My experience working with this solution has been good and I recommend it."
  • "The Self Service Interface is not very good and it needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are solution providers and we are in a classic environment without automation. We are licensed and we are using vCenter to manage and maintain our environment.

What is most valuable?

All of the features are important, so it's difficult to say which is the best.

What needs improvement?

The Self Service Interface is not very good and it needs improvement.

There should be more flexibility and rules for permissions in the Multi-tenancy.

I have been using this solution for more than ten years.

It's a scalable product.

We have more than 20 engineers using this solution.

We have not contacted technical support. We have the competence and knowledge to maintain and manage this solution.

We did not use the help of a vendor team. We were able to implement ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

As a company, we are hosting many solutions. We are working on expanding our portfolio for both internal and external users.

We have private cloud solutions, a classic infrastructure as service, and multi-tenant. We also have public cloud solutions for our external customers.

My experience working with this solution has been good and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
ZH
ICT Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good configuration management solution for on-premises and cloud

• "The feature that I have found most valuable is the virtual machine management across different hosts, located in different areas."
  • "They could improve the hybrid-cloud environment and its management, not only for the local host but also including the connection between public and private cloud."

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is the virtual machine management across different hosts, located in different areas. This is the most accommodating aspect I have found using vCenter.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, I would say easier management of the whole environment, meaning an easier interface.

Additionally, they could improve the hybrid-cloud environment and its management, not only for the localhost but also including the connection between the public and private cloud.

I have been using vCenter Configuration Manager for almost three years.

It is a stable solution.

vCenter is scalable.

Right now we don't have too many people using the application since we don’t need that many administrators on the environment, so less than 20 people are using it.

The initial setup was not so complex. My team and I did it by ourselves.

I think the first time I set it up the installation took two or three days. My second time was much easier - just a couple of hours.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate vCenter Configuration Manager an eight. I would recommend it.

Product Categories
Configuration Management
Download our free vCenter Configuration Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.