vCenter Configuration Manager Overview

vCenter Configuration Manager is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Configuration Management tools. It is most often compared to SCCM: vCenter Configuration Manager vs SCCM

What is vCenter Configuration Manager?
Automate configuration management across virtual and physical servers, workstations, and desktops.

vCenter Configuration Manager is also known as vCM.

vCenter Configuration Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the vCenter Configuration Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

vCenter Configuration Manager Customers
Bank Al Bilad, Thomas-Krenn.AG, Pronto!, Unimed Juiz de Fora
vCenter Configuration Manager Video

vCenter Configuration Manager Reviews

Francisco Gimo
Management Information System Officer at Kenmare Resources Mauritius
Jul 6, 2020
Great for automating and very stable, but complex to implement

What is our primary use case?

I provide services to our customers. We largely use it for automation.

• "The solution is excellent at automating processes."
  • "There are some complexities within the system center. For example, we use two different applications for updates and the deployment of the machine. We also have another third party solution."

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer. We don't have a special relationship with the company. I would recommend System Center. We are going through a technological era where everything is done using technology, and security measures are important. With this solution, security is already in place. With this solution, a lot of the items are automated, including a lot of administrative work. You can minimize so many things, including security vulnerabilities, simply by using the solution. It's great. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. They lose a few marks due to their general complexity, which takes a lot of…
Anil-Bherwani
Associate Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Jan 16, 2020
It is really affordable and we haven't had any stability or scalability issues

What is our primary use case?

We are responsible for the planning stage only, and we gradually do monthly-based monitoring and capacity utilization of the IT infrastructure. Based on our findings, we do some brainstorming to determine if there was an error or if it was due to less processing or storage capacity or memory management, those kind of things. So we use this program to do internal planning, basically.

• "It is a stable solution."
  • "The technical support could be faster."

What other advice do I have?

In some cases, we require more from the solution than what is offered. We usually map these things into the Configuration Management tool so that they are taken care of or made available faster. I think this should be a part of the program so that those things could be reflected faster. On a scale from one to 10, I will rate the program between 8.5 to 9.5 because in India some of the medium-sized business enterprises are not having a flexible IT budget for a configuration management tool. They prefer that the system integrator should buy it from his own pocket.
Learn what your peers think about vCenter Configuration Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
465,339 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MahdiBahmani
Solution Architect, IT Consultant at Merdasco - Rayan Merdas Data Prosseccing
Jan 23, 2020
Good disaster recovery and business connectivity capabilities but generally doesn't compare to competitors in the field

• "The most valuable features that VMware's vCenter Configuration Manager have, when compared with other solutions, are their disaster recovery and business connectivity capabilities."
  • "It lacks the capability to manage the other systems."

What other advice do I have?

I think before using this kind of software, most companies should train their administrators to ensure that the deployment is perfect. Also, maintenance would be easier if you train your engineers before using this kind of software. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate vCenter Configuration Manager a six. This is because compared to the other solutions such as Microsoft's StoreSafe or Studio Team System solutions or Ubuntu it is not as good. This software is specific for VMware products whereas the other software is more flexible.
reviewer1418577
Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Sep 21, 2020
Many features come into play to make this a strong management tool

What is our primary use case?

The primary purpose of the product is to maintain system performance and optimize it.

• "It has many valuable features that serve many purposes."
  • "The ease of setup and installations could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate vCenter Configuration Manager as maybe an eight to nine-out-of-ten. To make it even better and to score a ten-of-ten, the ease-of-use and the flexibility of configuration could be improved. If it was easier to use and easier to implement and to set up, it will be closer to a ten.
Abdul Amaan
General Manager IT/system engineer at VT Solutions
Jun 21, 2020
Work is simplified with patch management and template features; configurations could be reduced

What is our primary use case?

We use Configuration Manager at one or two companies where we provide services. I live in Fiji and people don't really go into the detail of compliance and automated configuration. Most things are generally done manually so with the implementation of Configuration Manager it becomes automated. There are some reporting and management tasks involved. We're partners with vCenter and I'm the IT general manager.

• "Beneficial patch management and template features."
  • "Not very user friendly, too many configurations."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend people use this solution. It can make your life a lot easier and it has a lot of features which could help a system administrator prevent problems and foresee potential issues. I would rate this solution quite highly but it loses a couple of points because of the complexity so I'll give it a seven out of 10.
Raju Pawar
IT Admin at Sikraft
Feb 10, 2020
Very easy to manage, user-friendly, and simple to set up

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to control the host.

• "The solution is very easy to manage."
  • "The snapshot functionality on the solution needs improvement. After renewing the snapshot, all of the production was stuck. Right now, its functionality is one of our main concerns."

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. It's a fantastic product.
reviewer1384830
IT System Manager and Infrastructure Architect at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Aug 12, 2020
Easy to use with good online integration and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to manage the virtual machines.

• "The online configuration, especially in the latest version, is very good."
  • "The solution could be more integrated with the Microsoft environment."

What other advice do I have?

We're VMware partners. I'd recommend the solution. It's very good. A company wouldn't have any trouble implementing it. It doesn't disappoint, and I don't see an area where it is lacking. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
Arnin Frederick
IT Manager at Inelectra, S.A.C.A.
Feb 1, 2021
A user-friendly end-to-end configuration management solution

What is our primary use case?

We use vCenter Configuration Manager at least four times a year. We start at the baseline, deploy the virtual machine's upgrade, and set the new parameters for the virtual machine. We use vCenter Configuration Manager for the configuration of vCenter, the DC host, and all the HP. Every time the HP sends logs or patches, we deploy them through vCenter Configuration Manager. We also use the vRealize Log Insight. I'm connected at this moment through vCenter.

• "vCenter Configuration Manager is pretty simple."
  • "I think the logging side should be improved because it's pretty difficult to keep up to date VMware and with vCenter."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend vCenter Configuration Manager to potential customers. On a scale from one to ten, I would give vCenter Configuration Manager a ten.
See 7 more vCenter Configuration Manager Reviews