vCenter Orchestrator Overview

vCenter Orchestrator is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Process Automation tools. It is most often compared to VMware vRealize Operations (vROps): vCenter Orchestrator vs VMware vRealize Operations (vROps)

What is vCenter Orchestrator?
VMware vCenter Orchestrator simplifies the automation of complex IT tasks and integrates with VMware vCloud Suite components to adapt and extend service delivery and operational management, effectively working with existing infrastructure, tools and processes.
vCenter Orchestrator Buyer's Guide

Download the vCenter Orchestrator Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

vCenter Orchestrator Customers
Beiersdorf Shared Services
vCenter Orchestrator Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about vCenter Orchestrator pricing:
  • "Our licensing is on a yearly basis. We pay for the license and then we pay the support every year."
  • "The price is reasonable, and one of the reasons that this product was selected."

Amel Magouri
Senior Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Simple, ergonomic, and easy to use in a complex environment

What is our primary use case?

We are a software IT provider. I work with vCenter. We use it for our clients. It's for customers and our customers who use VMware products. We are the implementation engineers. Most of our clients work with the traditional data counter. Our primary use case of this solution is for virtualization management, so virtualizing the infrastructure, and optimizing IT workload.

• "The most valuable feature is that it's simple and very ergonomic to use the product compared to other virtualizing product. Out of Microsoft, Red Hat, and IBM, we found VMware to be the best one."
  • "It is too expensive. One of the main issues is the price."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a ten because of the price.
UnmeshDeshpande
CTO at Kingsway Hospitals
Central point for configuring, provisioning, and managing virtualized IT environments

What is our primary use case?

We are a healthcare establishment. The main essence here is the 24X7X365 availability. This was possible due to virtualization. The best-suited candidate for the virtualization was VMware as the technical resources are easily available in the market. The Virtualization standards offered by VMware are defacto industry norms. This enabled us to have better resiliency and dynamic fail-over cluster for our application server and the databases. Using the virtualizes such as VMware, we achieved HPE SimpliVity Snapshot performance due to the capabilities of vCenter deployment.

• "The open, flexible architecture has brought in the agile computing environment along with better Dr capabilities. Automation management and operational tasks across VMware and third-party applications, like our HMIS and other business productivity applications, have delivered peace of mind."
  • "It is practically difficult at this stage to really comment on the improvisations of V central. But more tech events and PoC cases would help the EA to design better solutions and utilization."
Learn what your peers think about vCenter Orchestrator. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
524,194 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ikechukwu Okorie
Managing Partner at Commsworth Solutions Limited
A solution with excellent dashboards and a straightforward setup that's easily scalable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to try to make use of it on a couple of workflows, as well as deployment, and packages.

• "In regards to the workflows, the fact that we can actually have a full dashboard library of all the existing workflows on this is great. We can see all the workflows and what all the actions do and can work with scripts."
  • "As we work towards more stability on the solution, sometimes we'll try something and it breaks and it's easier to restart the service. That's the only drawback. We've experienced this with other applications as well."

What other advice do I have?

We're using the on-premise deployment model. It's a great solution and it's great to work with as well. Anything coming from VMware is pretty much top-notch, but, of course, you still have to look at the licensing requirements before you sign on to the solution. It should be a case of functionality versus budget in terms of if it will work for your organization. I would rate the solution eight out of ten.
IE
Cloud Support at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Useful for creating workflows, but the IDE needs improvement that includes support for more languages

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for creating workflows, and we have a public-cloud deployment. We are a cloud service provider. We have the ability to do custom workflows for our customers, but none of our customers are using workflows right now.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the workflow creation."
  • "The custom workflows are very difficult and confusing."

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I'm still exploring. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
HI
IT Development Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Workflow automation will make your daily tasks easier, but it needs bulk deployment capabilities

What is our primary use case?

I have used this solution through all of the generations from 4.1, 5, 5.1, 5.5, 6, 6.5, and 6.7. Our primary use case was for the deployment of a virtual machine with a specific naming convention. I have my own naming convention for applications such as Active Directory. The deployment model depends on the environment. For VMware, I have only used it in private cloud deployments. In Asia, it is a public cloud using Microsoft Azure.

• "The most valuable feature is workflow automation."
  • "This solution needs to have more built-in workflows."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that Orchestrator will ease your life in your tasks. Once you teach yourself this product, it will make difficult jobs relatively easy. It is a good solution, but it needs the capability of bulk deployment. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Thomas Chan
Assistant Manager System at Pro-Technic Machinery Ltd
Makes it easy to manage VMs, reasonably-priced, and the technical support is helpful

• "The most valuable feature is how easy it makes it to manage the VM."
  • "When the SSO certificate needs to be renewed, the upgrading and testing are quite complicated."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Adam Viusa
IT Manager at Garcia de Pou
Offers 100% stability and acts as a central place for our VMs

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-premise deployment model. vCenter is our primary resource for all our U.S. Enterprises. It's the central place for the VMs we are using as our servers.

• "It's 100% stable, it's always stable. We haven't had any bugs. The solution works very well and we haven't had any problems."
  • "Storage has room for improvement. It's a big problem for our solution. The interface also needs improvement, it should be simplified."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten.
MuhammadFarid
Co-Founder, IT Infrastrucure Solutions BU Head at Go Live
A scalable solution with a nice interface and an easy setup

What is our primary use case?

The solution is a cluster of servers which is managed by the vCenter cluster manager or vCenter Orchestrator. It controls workflows for us.

• "Communication with technical support is very good. It has a repository of knowledge base articles which we can access which are very helpful."
  • "Mainly VMware integrates with other products, but there is no easy way to link with other products from a different vendor. We can integrate with other products from the same vendors fairly well, but if they could make it so integration is easier with other vendors, that would really help."

What other advice do I have?

We mostly use the private cloud deployment model. I would recommend the solution. I'd rate it 8.5 out of ten.
See 6 more vCenter Orchestrator Reviews
Product Categories
Process Automation
Download our free vCenter Orchestrator Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.