vCenter Orchestrator OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

vCenter Orchestrator is the #9 ranked solution in our list of top Process Automation tools. It is most often compared to VMware vRealize Operations (vROps): vCenter Orchestrator vs VMware vRealize Operations (vROps)

What is vCenter Orchestrator?
VMware vCenter Orchestrator simplifies the automation of complex IT tasks and integrates with VMware vCloud Suite components to adapt and extend service delivery and operational management, effectively working with existing infrastructure, tools and processes.

Download the Process Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

vCenter Orchestrator Customers
Beiersdorf Shared Services
vCenter Orchestrator Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about vCenter Orchestrator pricing:
  • "The price is reasonable, and one of the reasons that this product was selected."
  • "We provide the VMware solution to our clients, for which they pay a perpetual license."

vCenter Orchestrator Reviews

UnmeshDeshpande
CTO at Kingsway Hospitals
Central point for configuring, provisioning, and managing virtualized IT environments

• "The open, flexible architecture has brought in the agile computing environment along with better Dr capabilities. Automation management and operational tasks across VMware and third-party applications, like our HMIS and other business productivity applications, have delivered peace of mind."
  • "It is practically difficult at this stage to really comment on the improvisations of V central. But more tech events and PoC cases would help the EA to design better solutions and utilization."

What is our primary use case?

We are a healthcare establishment. The main essence here is the 24X7X365 availability. This was possible due to virtualization. The best-suited candidate for the virtualization was VMware as the technical resources are easily available in the market. The Virtualization standards offered by VMware are defacto industry norms. This enabled us to have better resiliency and dynamic fail-over cluster for our application server and the databases. Using the virtualizes such as VMware, we achieved HPE SimpliVity Snapshot performance due to the capabilities of vCenter deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

The open, flexible architecture has brought in the agile computing environment along with better Dr capabilities. Automation management and operational tasks across VMware and third-party applications, like our HMIS and other business productivity applications, have delivered peace of mind. Automation is the KPI of any IT Lead organization. The healthcare industry is no exception to this. We were able to automate the business logic for provisioning, de-provisioning, HA, and clustering of our virtualized environment. This has reduced the manpower as well. Some more addition to the op-ex reduction of the organization.

What is most valuable?

VMware vSphere includes the components and features that fulfill most of the imaginations of a Virtualization expert. A virtualization layer that runs on physical servers that abstracts processor, memory, storage, and resources into multiple virtual machines. The central point for configuring, provisioning, and managing virtualized IT environments.

The essence that is served is on the spot provisioning of the compute nodes and infrastructure in a virtualized manner

Effective time saving, diminished manual errors, complex IT workflow, and reduced operational cost has resulted in increasing our IT Application Service value proposition by many folds

What needs improvement?

As a customer and a DC Architect, it would be great if more self-learning resources are made available online. One on one sessions from VM ware for rapidly growing organizations like us will further strengthen the intent of embracing the product portfolio from VMWare. A couple of the pointer in this regards can be as below:

1. Quarterly technology reviews from the OEM.

2. Consultation and handholding

3. Opex Model

I have been using vCenter for two years.

It is very reliable and stable.

Performance of the solution is as planned on the drawing board.

The support from OEM and the Vendor has been good, though it was required only a few times at the very initial stages.

We have always been with VMware.

The implementation was straightforward.

Implemented through a vendor team. The expertise of Vintech was far above the expectation. A sure shot A+.

It generally meets expectations. The pricing could be a little better.

Acropolis from Nutanix.

MT
Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Reliable with good technical support and an easy initial setup

• "The solution is pretty stable and reliable."
  • "There can be compatibility issues."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for service enablement applications. Those are the applications running there.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers one central view. The VMotion is good. It's easy to put it into service and maintenance mode if needed. I'm an architect, however, my team is more hands-on day-to-day, and they know about the solution in detail.

The initial setup has been pretty straightforward, and the team, in general, has been happy with the process.

The solution is pretty stable and reliable.

Technical support is very good at taking a deep dive into issues.

What needs improvement?

On the KVM side, we really don't have anything. There we have a gap. It's a very small deployment on the KVM side, however, it would be ideal if we were able to properly use all the resources and get the full performance of the platform.

On the orchestration side, we're lacking the KVM part as well.

There can be compatibility issues. We need to keep track of different versions of the software. For example, we're still on E6 I6 6.5. In some cases, we can't upgrade to Red Hat 8 yet, for compatibility reasons. Every time we do, we have to be applying HPE firmware and stuff. Sometimes we run into complications and we have to stage everything in the lab just to make sure all the versions are compatible. There's this forward and backward compatibility of different software you need to constantly be aware of.

I've been dealing with the solution maybe for five years at this point. I've used it for a while now.

The solution is mostly stable, so long as there aren't compatibility issues between different pieces of software. Mostly, it's reliable.

Typically, I don't deal with technical support issues. I'm not in that area. That said, it's my understanding that we have gotten a pretty good, deep analysis of the issues at hand when we have had tickets open in the past. My team seems satisfied with the level of support given to them.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's very simple and straightforward.

Our team can handle it with ease. We don't need the assistance of integrators or consultants.

Our customers are the ones that hold the licensing. We just provide services. Therefore, I cannot speak to any exact costs or licensing agreements.

What other advice do I have?

We provide services to customers. However, we are users of the product.

I don't know of any better VM environment. I would rate this solution at a nine out of ten. We've been very happy with its capabilities so far.

Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Microsoft, ServiceNow and others in Process Automation. Updated: September 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Thomas Chan
Assistant Manager System at Pro-Technic Machinery Ltd
Makes it easy to manage VMs, reasonably-priced, and the technical support is helpful

• "The most valuable feature is how easy it makes it to manage the VM."
  • "When the SSO certificate needs to be renewed, the upgrading and testing are quite complicated."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is how easy it makes it to manage the VM. In our case, that is quite good.

What needs improvement?

The product is not quite easy to use and needs improvement in that regard.

When the SSO certificate needs to be renewed, the upgrading and testing are quite complicated. We faced this issue just three months ago.

I have been working with vCenter Orchestrator for between three and four years.

For what we use it for, it has been quite stable.

It is a scalable product and we have between 60 and 70 end-users. We do not plan to increase usage within the new few years.

Technical support is quite good and quite helpful.

Prior to vCenter Orchestrator, we did not work with a similar solution.

There are a lot of steps that have to be done using the command line and the documentation doesn't cover the entire process. The knowledge base was not open to the public so it was not easy to resolve the issue that we were having. We had to ask for support.

We had support from the vendor for our deployment.

Two people are in place to support this product and perform maintenance.

The price is reasonable, and one of the reasons that this product was selected.

We evaluated Microsoft System Center Orchestrator at the same time, but vCenter is the solution that was chosen. One of the reasons that we chose it was the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Syed Nouman Ali Rizvi
System Administrator at Institute of Space Technology (IST)
Good management tools and distributed resource scheduler, but the GUI should be enhanced

• "The backup and recovery times are very quick."
  • "The GUI should be enhanced in the future."

What is our primary use case?

We recently deployed a SAN in our office and the servers deploy on vCenter Orchestrator.

We also have a wireless deployment for different controllers, and we have many ERD solutions in our office that are hosted on VMware technology.

Many of our older, physical servers are being converted into VMs, and then we use vCenter Orchestrator with them as well.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS).

The backup and recovery times are very quick.

The management tools are very good.

What needs improvement?

I think that vSAN can be improved.

The GUI should be enhanced in the future.

I have been working with vCenter Orchestrator for probably three years.

vCenter Orchestrator is a stable product.

Scalability has not been an issue. In one project, we have between 2,500 and 3,000 users.

The VMware technical support is good.

The initial setup is straightforward. Including the training that we had from the training center, our deployment took place over about six months.

We evaluated and analyzed several similar products and we selected VMware as being most suitable for our requirements.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering vCenter Orchestrator is to first collect all of their requirements or the requirements of the client. These are the basic steps and once everything is understood, the products can be properly selected.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

AM
Creative Head/Director at a marketing services firm with 1-10 employees
Stable and easy to install and use

What is our primary use case?

The version we use is not updated.  The solution allows us to manage multiple VMware in a single, vCenter, console. It is very useful.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better performance.

We have been using vCenter Orchestrator for around six years.

The solution is stable.

I do not have knowledge of the technical support.

The solution was easy to install.  The implementation process takes between 30 to 43 minutes.

When it comes to the deployment, they have an…

What is our primary use case?

The version we use is not updated.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better performance.

We have been using vCenter Orchestrator for around six years.

The solution is stable.

I do not have knowledge of the technical support.

The solution was easy to install.

The implementation process takes between 30 to 43 minutes.

When it comes to the deployment, they have an administrator. We will provide them with support should an issue arise.

What other advice do I have?

We have around 10 customers making use of the solution.

My recommendation is that one solely go with vCenter.

I rate vCenter Orchestrator as a ten out of ten.

MD
Consultor gerente at Telefónica
Affinity rules are valuable, but a lot of experience is needed to use this solution

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution as a test for a future project.

How has it helped my organization?

vCenter Orchestrator is not in production yet.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is affinity rules.

What needs improvement?

Using this solution requires a lot of experience.

I have been using this solution for one month.

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution as a test for a future project.

How has it helped my organization?

vCenter Orchestrator is not in production yet.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is affinity rules.

What needs improvement?

Using this solution requires a lot of experience.

I have been using this solution for one month.