vCloud Director Overview

vCloud Director is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Management tools. It is most often compared to VMware vRealize Automation (vRA): vCloud Director vs VMware vRealize Automation (vRA)

What is vCloud Director?

VMware vCloud Director provides software-defined services for data centers in the form of virtual data centers. Computing, networking, security, and storage are all virtualized when you deploy this solution. The result is that users will get to enjoy infrastructure that is operationally ready in a matter of minutes without needing to install and configure any physical infrastructure.

vCloud Director Buyer's Guide

Download the vCloud Director Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2020

vCloud Director Customers

MicroStrategy, National Democratic Institute, and NYSE Euronext.

vCloud Director Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about vCloud Director pricing:
  • "It runs our company in the millions of rand every month."
  • "This is an expensive solution."

vCloud Director Reviews

managerv859305
Manager - Virtualization, Storage & Backup at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Nov 8, 2020
Great extensibility feature, which enables integration of other services

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for infrastructure as a service, which is pretty much a self service, together with a period of management if the customer needs. We are partners with vCloud Director and I'm the manager of virtualization, storage and backup.

• "Good features of extensibility, which allows integration of other services."
  • "Lacks integration with the hyperscalers."

What other advice do I have?

It's important to have some development capabilities within your organization I think the most important thing is to understand your requirements and what your end goal is because you need to understand whether vCloud Director is going to restrict you or not. It's a very powerful product for service providers. You also need to keep in mind what other service add-ons you want to achieve because your overall design and architecture or blueprint is very dependent on what you want to do. Having a blueprint will provide you with the difference between a wonderful outcome or an unstable one. We've…
Rasoul Askari
OS & Servers Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 26, 2020
Good platform for visualization and monitoring but not for redundancy and distribution

What is our primary use case?

For vCloud we use a private cloud. In a distributed system, CapEx and OpEx are better. In storage, when you use a stand-alone system you have to pay much more than with a distributed system.

• "vCloud is a good platform for visualization. It is very handy for monitoring. VMware can integrate with all monitoring systems like vRealize, and the management monitoring is good. I'm very happy with VMware. VMware is good in management and monitoring systems."
  • "This is very simple in OpenShift. We are happy with vCloud in terms of the virtualization but not for redundancy and distribution."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate vCloud a seven out of ten. In the next release, I would like to see better integration with VMware and the older cloud solutions like OpenStack. I think VMware is working on it. OpenStack works better than VMware in a distribution system. We have better performance in surface storage, we have better documentation. vCloud is a good platform for visualization. It is very handy for monitoring. VMware can integrate with all monitoring systems like vRealize, and the management monitoring is good. I'm very happy with VMware. VMware is good in management and monitoring systems.
Learn what your peers think about vCloud Director. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2020.
456,495 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ronald Van Staden
Director at Silicon Sky Consulting LLC
Oct 6, 2020
Automated virtual resource creation with good options for scaling usage

What is our primary use case?

We are VMware Verified Cloud providers. So we run vCloud Director. We run NSX (Network Security Platform). We run the whole suite of VMware products to host our customers' various applications. Our primary use case is to enable our customers to use the vCloud Director platform to drive the portal that they create using compute resources from their side. So, it is used for the automation of resources in the VMware on our VMware platform for customers to create Virtual Datacenters.

• "There are various options for scaling and that flexibility is a good option."
  • "The initial installation and setup are very quick."
  • "The stability of the product is better than just 'good.'"
  • "The product could use a billing feature so we can automate billing for clients."

What other advice do I have?

I think the product has come a long way since its introduction. It is stable now. In the early days, there were some teething problems. At this point, I would definitely recommend it. It has become a mature product now and it works well. On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate the vCloud product as a good eight or nine-out-of-ten.
Engineerinfo98876
Java Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 24, 2019
Easy to manage and configure

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider. We offer business integration, application and infrastructure outsourcing, innovative solutions and strategic consultancy to private businesses. We offer the cloud service-delivery platform vCloud Director as an example of one of our products.

• "vCloud Director has improved our organization in so far as it is an easy solution to sell. I believe this is the case due to the fact that it is an easy tool to manage and to configure."
  • "Improvements could be made in the building feature since there isn't a real building feature associated with the product. We require a building feature to integrate with other solutions."

What other advice do I have?

My only additional commentary has to do with the making improvements to the user interface. If I was to give vCloud Director a rating from one to ten, 10 being the best, I'd give it an 8 based on the fact that it's stable, our customers seem to like it, and we can manage it quite easily.
reviewer1382925
Senior Professional Services Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 4, 2020
Easy to setup and manage, reliable, with a good interface and accessibility

• "The most valuable features are the UI, the interface, and accessibility."
  • "In the next release, we would like to see improvements with the pricing. It could be reduced."

What other advice do I have?

We will upgrade and continue our usage of this solution. I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using this solution. It's a very good product. I would rate vCloud Director a nine out of ten.