vCloud Director Overview

vCloud Director is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Management tools. It is most often compared to VMware vRealize Automation (vRA): vCloud Director vs VMware vRealize Automation (vRA)

What is vCloud Director?

VMware vCloud Director provides software-defined services for data centers in the form of virtual data centers. Computing, networking, security, and storage are all virtualized when you deploy this solution. The result is that users will get to enjoy infrastructure that is operationally ready in a matter of minutes without needing to install and configure any physical infrastructure.

vCloud Director Buyer's Guide

Download the vCloud Director Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

vCloud Director Customers

MicroStrategy, National Democratic Institute, and NYSE Euronext.

vCloud Director Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

DR
Java Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to manage and configure

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider. We offer business integration, application and infrastructure outsourcing, innovative solutions and strategic consultancy to private businesses. We offer the cloud service-delivery platform vCloud Director as an example of one of our products.

• "vCloud Director has improved our organization in so far as it is an easy solution to sell. I believe this is the case due to the fact that it is an easy tool to manage and to configure."
  • "Improvements could be made in the building feature since there isn't a real building feature associated with the product. We require a building feature to integrate with other solutions."

What other advice do I have?

My only additional commentary has to do with the making improvements to the user interface. If I was to give vCloud Director a rating from one to ten, 10 being the best, I'd give it an 8 based on the fact that it's stable, our customers seem to like it, and we can manage it quite easily.
Head of R&D Department at Gigacloud
Helped our clients manage their infrastructure and has enabled us to provision our clients faster

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for our clients to manage their infrastructure.

• "This solution has helped us make money and provision our clients faster."
  • "vRealize Orchestrator is an expensive tool."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight. It has a lot of features in the roadmap, maybe in a few years, I can give it a ten. I would advise someone looking into this solution to test your environment and to determine whether or not this solution is suitable for you. This solution was a good decision for our clients and we get good feedback from them.
Learn what your peers think about vCloud Director. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
501,499 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AA
System admin
self-service feature has helped migrate new customers from on-premise infrastructure to on-cloud enabled us to build a powerful cloud

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for the cloud project and we have utilized it very well so far.

• "Working with VMware has supported us especially in terms of building a very powerful cloud for our customers."
  • "There are some shortcomings. There are bugs with opening support."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight. So far we are satisfied with it, but there are some shortcomings. There are bugs with opening support. So far they have helped us very well. I would tell someone looking into this or a similar solution that before deploying any cloud, you need to have a good consultant that can help you to build the cloud well, especially from the start and especially with the infrastructure. There are a lot of components that need to be taken into consideration before doing this.
AA
VMware Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Not cheap but has enabled us to provision our clients faster by around 60%

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for the public cloud. We offer public cloud to various customers. The idea is to offer a cheap public cloud service.

• "If a customer is looking for disaster recovery at a cheaper price, this is the best solution."
  • "vCloud Director isn't cheap."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six because, from the end-user experience, it's hard to deal with the portal compared to other solutions like OpenStack.
JD
Technical Services Team Lead at Novosco
Orchestrator offers functionality and is worth the cost

What is our primary use case?

I do a lot of monitoring around this solution. Our hosted platform guys use it more than I do. Everything I use it for works well.

• "I like the functionality that's available with Orchestrator. The platform stability stuff that I would be involved in worries me from the automation side because you have a lot less hands-on control of things. Price point, it kind of puts us off."
  • "Technical support is something that we've had problems with in the past. Across all the VMware solutions we have not always had the best response from support. To be fair a lot of the issues that came up for us have been quite niche but it seems that in terms of release cycles they introduced a lot of bugs and it's a lot of stuff that support generally has to work quite hard on. There have been cases when we've logged critical priority issues and not had responses in time. I think support is something that can be worked on."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight. I haven't had too many problems with it but I don't think it's perfect.
IS
Engineer at T-Systems
VMs can be managed on their own but searching in the cloud is problematic

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to manage VMs on their own.

• "We like the basic operations that we can do with the VM such as restarting, rebooting, creating snapshots, and deleting snapshots."
  • "If I just need to look for something quickly, it's quite difficult to find it with the way it's set up now. They should make the search button better."

What other advice do I have?

I rated this solution a seven because the search button really bothers me. Also, because it isn't always able to finish an operation.
HS
Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Enables us to provision new customers significantly faster and the stability has been rock solid

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to onboard multiple customers into a multi-tenant platform.

• "The stability is rock solid."
  • "The initial setup was complex. There's a lot of things you have to factor in, like security, backup, disaster recovery, monitoring, and how to maintain the platform. It's something we still struggle with, but it's getting better."
    JD
    OSS Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Evolved version and the self-service features are especially valuable

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider and our primary use case for vCloud Director is to build our own product.

• "It has helped us develop a better way of selling services to customers, evolve from the typical housing, and make revenues for the Telefonica company."
    • "I would like to see mode accessory recovery and integration with SD-WAN."

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking into this or a similar solution I would tell you to start fresh and start with VMware Professional Services and their architects from the beginning. I would definitely rate this solution a ten. It has been working flawlessly for the last ten years and we have been very happy with it.
    SB
    Senior Cloud Architect at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
    Enables us to provision our clients faster but the initial setup was complex

What is our primary use case?

We use vCloud Director for our customers. They use it to deploy work machine networking and to manage their own applications and backup solutions.

• "Their technical support is great. We had some difficult cases and they were able to solve them in a timely manner."
    • "Initially, the setup was complex."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone looking into this or a similar solution to use vCloud Director if a customer wants to remove their old hardware. I rated this solution an eight because it's a good product.
    TT
    Senior Solution Specialist with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Our customers can take care of their virtual data centers with the self-service portal. It could be more stable.

What is our primary use case?

We using it for the public cloud.

• "The self-service portal is the most valuable. We are acting as a service provider, so our customers can take care of their virtual data centers with the self-service portal. Therefore, we don't need staff for it."
    • "We consider it intuitive and user-friendly. It offers a variety of functions for the customer to control the networking, virtual workloads, disk snapshots, and all of vSphere's core features."
    • "It could be more stable. We have had issues with multiple different versions."
    • "vCloud Director could use the vCenter database to store information. This way, we don't end up in a situation where we have things going out of sync."

What other advice do I have?

Do a proof a concept before making a decision.
    CM
    Pre-Sales Engineer at Secura

What is our primary use case?

We use the vCloud Director as a multi-tenanted cloud provider, and it's amazing. It makes provisioning new customers so much easier, and our customers are given power over their platform. It gives them the idea that they have a virtual private cloud. It is the main product that we sell in our business.

• "vCloud Director requires less knowledge to get into in the first place. Therefore, when we bring in new members of staff, we can always give them the customer experience straightaway, and they can pick it up quite easily."
    • "We have had very minor problems with it when we've been upgrading."

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product. It is like magic. It allows you to do so much. Put it in a lab, and you'll instantly fall in love with it. That's all you need to know. Just give it a go. If you're looking for something that allows your customers to get access to their VMs and stop bothering you, then get in there and try this solution out. vRealize Orchestrator is a powerful tool. A common query that we get from our customers is they might have issues where their servers are slowing down, but they have no idea why. So, we can pull up all of the graphs and say, “Very clearly your storage is too busy. It…
    PD
    Senior Engineer with 501-1,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

We use it for hosting our customers: a single environment with a single GUI. Our customers are known to have compute and Eos infrastructure cells.

• "We use it to replicate VMs for our customers from one data center to another data center."
    • "If you use it for a lot of customers, it is too heavy for this solution."

What other advice do I have?

We use vRealize Orchestrator with vCloud Director for creating work flows. You can automate your work. Using the self-service capabilities, our customers can quickly use the product with instructions and learn it within an hour.
    JA
    ICT specialist
    It is fast at deploying environments. If you have a deployed environment and lose it, you can't easily deploy it back.

What is our primary use case?

We are using it as our QA environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us with user segmentation and QA.

What is most valuable?

It is fast at deploying environments and good for segmenting users.

What needs improvement?

If you have a deployed environment and lose it, you can't easily deploy it back with vCloud Director. Because of this reason, we don't have the data protection, disaster recovery, and container features.

Stability is okay.

Scalability is great.

I haven't used technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward. …
    PD
    IT Administrator with 201-500 employees
    Its self-service capabilities allow us to give resources to our customers. They can spin up as many or as few machines as they like.

What is our primary use case?

We use it and have several customers who use it. It has performed well. We don't have any real problems with it.

• "So far, we have had no problems at all, as it has been very stable. It is working well."
    • "vCloud Director works and makes my life easier. Its self-service capabilities allow us to give resources to our customers. They can spin up as many or as few machines as they like, and it works."
    • "There didn't seem to be any type of integrated path on how to do the initial setup. There seemed to be different bits of paperwork or instructions available from various places. We always had to go looking for what to do next."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend VMware and vCloud Director, if they want to go cloud.
    System Administrator at Bezeq
    Organizations can use this product for disaster recovery

What is our primary use case?

It's a virtual data center for customers, and it's performing well.

• "Technical support is great. They help us 24/7."
    • "We are having a bit of a problem with vCloud Availability. We know that vRA has a new product, HCX. We would like to know about it, then migrate to the product."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution. It is a very good product. We would like to start using the container feature and PKS. We are mostly using the vCloud Director, vSAN, and vCloud Availability. Right now, we are not using their self-service. We implemented our self-services. Developers in our company make a self-service portal. However, we are also looking at the self-service of VMware products.
    Solutions Engineer at NTT Com MS
    The compatibility with vSAN and NSX is its greatest feature. However, we previously had compatibility issues migrating VMs from a vCenter to it.

What is our primary use case?

We use it in a new data center.

• "The compatibility with vSAN and NSX is the greatest feature of vCloud. It also has integration with vROps, which is quite nice."
    • "In version 6.7, compatibility to migrate VMs from a vCenter to vCloud Director had a problem. However, this has been solved in the newest version."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend, especially with the new features coming out in versions 8.0 and 9.0.
    Owner at a tech services company
    With the resource pool payment model, you pay for resources instead of paying for hourly use. As pure IaaS software, it includes no additional services.

• "Remote console (ability to control booting and OS installation process)."
    • "Lacking additional services reduces the level of cloud integration companies just love with Amazon and Azure."
    Infrastructure Expert at Cloud Counselage Inc. (www.cloudcounselage.com)
    FT capacity issues are now resolved in vSphere 6.0.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. Follow the bottom-up approach; VMware's Implementation Guide for each product and you will sail through.
    Lead Enterprise Systems Architect at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Video Review
    Our developers have a straight line to be able to provision resources and help the business move along on new platforms.

What other advice do I have?

VMware's been the market leader in the virtualization segment for many, many years. I've worked with the product since 1.0 days and I've seen the evolution of the other hypervisors as well but none have totally matched the enterprise quality that VMware has. Peer reviews are important but hands on with the products and doing POCs are very important as well. Really, I think from my standpoint, the peer reviews help to focus on needs for a particular enterprise environment or particular solution and I think it helps weigh out what features may not be necessarily needed for particular solution…
    Lead Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    System administrators can now develop organization specific virtual data center templates with pre-set resource and delegation rules.
    Originally posted https://anthonyspiteri.net/vcloud-director-8-new-features-and-a-new-ui-addition/ Since June the vCloud Director SP Beta has been running with a lot of renewed interest in the IaaS Platform. The beta was well participated in and there was a lot of robust discussion around the future of vCD as well as questions around the lack of a decent UI for those without in house development skills to exploit the new API only features. The beta program was closed the weekend of VMworld San Francisco with v8.0 GA’ing a few weeks later. With the v8.0 SP release the vCD team have started to incorporate enhancements from the vCloud Air vCD builds, though the original 6 month lag between VCA services coming to the SP builds seems to have fallen by the wayside.…
    IT Infrastructure Engineer at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
    We’ve already deployed three-tiered applications with just a push of a button to deploy from dev to staging to production.

What other advice do I have?

Access the enormous amount of virtual apps they have to get practical performance instead of just the KB to deploy. They also need to get an understanding of audience as well. Understand pain points to understand how to approach solution. It loses points because things are moving so quickly that it has yet to catch up.
    Virtual Systems Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Its flexibility allows me to adapt it to students' needs, although a better GUI for both students and administrators would be an improvement.

What other advice do I have?

I really don’t know of any products right now other than this. They’re pretty high – if someone has a peer review that’s low, I won’t consider the product.
    Infrastructure Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    We can import acquisition products into our environment without reconfiguring them and it's infinitely scalable.

What other advice do I have?

You can't go wrong with VMware. The stability and the flexibility it allows, they do it best compared to competitors. Peer reviews are fairly important but I try to form my opinion from a POC over anything else.
    Presales Cloud Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    ​It helps us provide private cloud solutions to our clients, but it is too platform dependent.

What other advice do I have?

Choosing VMware in general, is best in terms of functionality, but it is not necessarily cost effective, as their licensing and setuo cost are too hight. Maybe we will see more products for cloud and automation.
    Senior Cloud Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
    Top Reviewer
    Even if there are some transition scripts or similar to help move certain aspects of functionality the transition is going to be a painful process.
    Summary: vCloud Director, once the flagship product spearheading VMware’s vCloud Suite, is slowly winding down for enterprise customers – potentially leaving some companies with a roadmap challenge. Having just started work for a cloud service provider in the Channel Islands (Foreshore) my focus has shifted and vCloud Director is a product I’m working with. After VMworld last year I wrote about how badly VMware communicated their product shift away from vCloud Director (vCD) and this year I’ve not seen much sign that communication has improved. At VMworld Barcelona this year only one session out of over 400 was about vCD. Yep. One (although to be fair it was ‘vCD roadmap for service providers’ – more on that later). How the mighty have fallen. What do we know about the vCD roadmap…
    Technical Lead Engineer at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
    It is dead simple, but it still feels like duct taped solutions in a lot of aspects.
    It's definitely beta and I'm not a big fan of some aspects of the implementation, specifically that I might find myself jumping between this and the provided vCloud director a lot. It's not all bad though. Click through if you'd like to read my overview/opinion of the service. Main Page: To start, I could not get to the management using Chrome or Safari on my Mac. Only when I used Firefox was I finally able to get to the management page. Once logged in I was provided w/ essentially two obvious options. Make a Virtual Private Cloud OnDemand or view My Subscriptions. Once clicking the "Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) OnDemand" option and choosing a geographic location, I was committed to paying 'a cost', just to make a VPC. Technically, I 'get' it, but to charge for what is…
    Consultor TI with 51-200 employees
    ​It has easy to deploy machines but is now difficult to implement because VMware no longer offers the product.

What is most valuable?

It has easy to deploy machines.

How has it helped my organization?

A department can deploy a machine easily without using the IT department.

I only used it for four months.

None in this version.

No issues encountered.

Yes, a lot including, for example, with Chargeback Manager integration.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical Support: 5/10 as the VMware support seem very ignorant.

No, but in the future, we are planning to install Open…
    System Administrator at a cloud provider with 51-200 employees
    Although deployment is simple, I suggest taking security and licensing compliance into consideration when doing so.

What other advice do I have?

Before installing vCloud director, I suggest: 1. Check HCL and compatibility matrix between vCloud director, vSphere and vCloud network and security (ex: vShield manager) 2. Use vDC resources only for vCloud director purpose, don't mix traditional vSphere and vCloud director usage.
    Director of IT at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Great product, if you are already heavily invested with VMware

Valuable Features:

Simple, scalable, and comprehensive solution for large enterprises

Room for Improvement:

It is not targeted to smaller and midsize companies. Pricing can be beyond their budgets.

Other Advice:

There is a great amount of work to be done before considering deployment of this or any other cloud platform
    Virtualization Counsultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Best solution for big enterprises
    Best solution for big enterprises Easy to manage Easy scalability Easy to Config
    Technical Architect at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MSP
    Great product with scalability as the central notion

Valuable Features:

+ Great cloud services platform + A natural extension to the virtualization layer

Room for Improvement:

+ Platform maturity and interoperability required