vCloud Director OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

vCloud Director is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Management tools. It is most often compared to VMware vRealize Automation (vRA): vCloud Director vs VMware vRealize Automation (vRA)

What is vCloud Director?

VMware vCloud Director provides software-defined services for data centers in the form of virtual data centers. Computing, networking, security, and storage are all virtualized when you deploy this solution. The result is that users will get to enjoy infrastructure that is operationally ready in a matter of minutes without needing to install and configure any physical infrastructure.

vCloud Director Buyer's Guide

Download the vCloud Director Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

vCloud Director Customers

MicroStrategy, National Democratic Institute, and NYSE Euronext.

vCloud Director Video

Archived vCloud Director Reviews (more than two years old)

DR
Java Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to manage and configure

• "vCloud Director has improved our organization in so far as it is an easy solution to sell. I believe this is the case due to the fact that it is an easy tool to manage and to configure."
  • "Improvements could be made in the building feature since there isn't a real building feature associated with the product. We require a building feature to integrate with other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider. We offer business integration, application and infrastructure outsourcing, innovative solutions and strategic consultancy to private businesses. We offer the cloud service-delivery platform vCloud Director as an example of one of our products.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the fact that it's a VMware product. The majority of our customers already have this product on-prem; they are happy to use the same solution also in our cloud environment.

Three to five years.

It is a very stable solution.

My impressions of the scalability of vCloud Director are all positive.

Up until today, everything has been running smoothly. We haven't needed to contact the technical support team.

The initial setup was completed four years ago; the deployment was not straightforward or easy from what I can recall. We've installed the environment this year and it was quite straightforward. Much easier than five years ago.

I can't remember what our setup costs were. I know we paid in VSPP points. Our contract covers other environments so it's not something I monitor.

What other advice do I have?

My only additional commentary has to do with the making improvements to the user interface.

If I was to give vCloud Director a rating from one to ten, 10 being the best, I'd give it an 8 based on the fact that it's stable, our customers seem to like it, and we can manage it quite easily.

Kirill Naumenko
Head of R&D Department at Gigacloud
Helped our clients manage their infrastructure and has enabled us to provision our clients faster

• "This solution has helped us make money and provision our clients faster."
  • "vRealize Orchestrator is an expensive tool."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for our clients to manage their infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped us make money and provision our clients faster.

What is most valuable?

We have found the multi-tenants to be a valuable feature.

I think that the data protection, disaster recovery, and container features are the future. We work with the cloud Availability product. We want our clients to use it but we have had a lot of problems with it so we'll wait for the next version.

It's very stable.

Scalability is stable. I have the ability to scale horizontally.

The GSS engineers are good.

We analyzed the markets and our clients. We gathered some feedback from our clients and after that, we decided on this solution.

The initial setup was complex.

We integrated in-house.

vRealize Orchestrator is an expensive tool.

We looked at VMware and Open Source.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight. It has a lot of features in the roadmap, maybe in a few years, I can give it a ten.

I would advise someone looking into this solution to test your environment and to determine whether or not this solution is suitable for you. This solution was a good decision for our clients and we get good feedback from them.

Learn what your peers think about vCloud Director. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AA
System admin
self-service feature has helped migrate new customers from on-premise infrastructure to on-cloud enabled us to build a powerful cloud

• "Working with VMware has supported us especially in terms of building a very powerful cloud for our customers."
  • "There are some shortcomings. There are bugs with opening support."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for the cloud project and we have utilized it very well so far.

How has it helped my organization?

Working with a single vendor, especially with optimization, has improved our organization. Working with VMware has supported us especially in terms of building a very powerful cloud for our customers.

It has helped us provision new clients faster because it's built on an automated system. It has helped speed up provisioning around 75%.

What is most valuable?

We have found the whole suite of cloud applications to be the most valuable features. If you start a cloud, either private or hybrid, it will support you and you will get more features. It covers support in terms of computing, networking, and everything.

The self-service feature has helped migrate a new customer from on-premise infrastructure to on-cloud.

It's stable enough to run a business on it.

Scalability is very good. You can scale up and out.

Their technical support is very solid, we have a good relationship with them. So far, we haven't had any issues with them.

It can be easy to deploy but there is some complexity in terms of the configuration.

We used a consultant to integrate.

Working with VMware is different than working with Microsoft SPLA. SPLA is only for service provider level agreement. However, for VMware, you can work in different aspects. With VMware you can build an infrastructure whereas SPLA you can sign and have your licenses for building your infrastructure later on. You can't have the best of both worlds. VMware is better in terms of cost than Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight. So far we are satisfied with it, but there are some shortcomings. There are bugs with opening support. So far they have helped us very well.

I would tell someone looking into this or a similar solution that before deploying any cloud, you need to have a good consultant that can help you to build the cloud well, especially from the start and especially with the infrastructure. There are a lot of components that need to be taken into consideration before doing this.

AA
VMware Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Not cheap but has enabled us to provision our clients faster by around 60%

• "If a customer is looking for disaster recovery at a cheaper price, this is the best solution."
  • "vCloud Director isn't cheap."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for the public cloud. We offer public cloud to various customers. The idea is to offer a cheap public cloud service.

How has it helped my organization?

vCloud has improved our organization because it acts as a DR between the customer's premise to the public cloud. If a customer is looking for disaster recovery at a cheaper price, this is the best solution.

The self-service capability has been beneficial for my organization. Although we have a problem because it cannot support automation from A to Z. There is a lot of missing.

This solution has enabled us to provision our clients faster by around 60%.

What is most valuable?

ESG is one of the most valuable features. It deals with networking, traffic, and the security of some features like load balancer.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see automation for creating data centers and IP management. That would make it easier for customers.

It's generally stable.

It's very scalable.

The problem with vCloud Director is that there are not enough GSS engineers who can support us. Every time that I try to open a ticket with GSS support, they ask me to wait until the next day. If I try to open a ticket with another product like vSphere or vSAN I will get a quick answer.

vCloud Availability is hard to install but vCloud Director is easy to install.

We used an integrator who was great.

vCloud Director isn't cheap.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six because, from the end-user experience, it's hard to deal with the portal compared to other solutions like OpenStack.

JD
Technical Services Team Lead at Novosco
Orchestrator offers functionality and is worth the cost

• "I like the functionality that's available with Orchestrator. The platform stability stuff that I would be involved in worries me from the automation side because you have a lot less hands-on control of things. Price point, it kind of puts us off."
  • "Technical support is something that we've had problems with in the past. Across all the VMware solutions we have not always had the best response from support. To be fair a lot of the issues that came up for us have been quite niche but it seems that in terms of release cycles they introduced a lot of bugs and it's a lot of stuff that support generally has to work quite hard on. There have been cases when we've logged critical priority issues and not had responses in time. I think support is something that can be worked on."

What is our primary use case?

I do a lot of monitoring around this solution. Our hosted platform guys use it more than I do. Everything I use it for works well.

What is most valuable?

My impression of the data protection, data recovery, and container features is that they're all very good, I like them. Although I don't particularly have a use case for them within our company. It's very expensive but it's something we've looked into.

I haven't had problems with stability. It's pretty stable.

There are a lot of scalability options.

Technical support is something that we've had problems with in the past. Across all of the VMware solutions we have not always had the best response from support. To be fair, a lot of the issues that came up for us have been quite a niche but it seems that in terms of release cycles they introduced a lot of bugs and it's a lot of stuff that support generally has to work quite hard on. There have been cases when we've logged critical priority issues and not had responses in time. I think support is something that can be worked on.

We picked up this solution because we needed to provide new services.

We went with VMware because we have a lot of VMware experts in our business, it's something that we're quite skilled at. We are partners as well. VMware is generally the first protocol for these sort of things.

We integrated in-house.

Compared to alternatives like Microsoft SPLA, this solution is on the expensive side. It's an expensive solution but it comes with its benefits for being pricey.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight. I haven't had too many problems with it but I don't think it's perfect.

IS
Engineer at T-Systems
VMs can be managed on their own but searching in the cloud is problematic

• "We like the basic operations that we can do with the VM such as restarting, rebooting, creating snapshots, and deleting snapshots."
  • "If I just need to look for something quickly, it's quite difficult to find it with the way it's set up now. They should make the search button better."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to manage VMs on their own.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization by speeding up some basic scenarios. They can manage a simple operation on their own.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to search in vCloud Director more easily. If I just need to look for something quickly, it's quite difficult to find it with the way it's set up now. They should make the search button better.

The option to build up vCloud Director on the flash is quite annoying because you need to have integrated the flash, which can be problematic with the processor. Finding the integration plugin which works with the processor and which works with the flash is hard. I think this is an important feature to redesign. Eliminating the integration plugin would make it much better.

Generally, it's quite stable. We don't have issues where the Director doesn't work. However, sometimes the vCloud Director cannot finish some operations for some reason. We'll need to try the operation twice or three times, redeploy, and do other steps. It could use some improvement. It would be better if it was a click and go.

Scalability is fine. If we need it, it works nice, but it's not our main focus.

Their technical support is good. Their guys are well trained and answer quickly.

Most of our clients are using classic solutions from the vSphere, 6, 5.5, or even older. We give them vCloud Director as an option for their business.

This solution is cheaper than other alternatives.

We looked into other cloud solutions like Microsoft Cloud and ABS. Our clients chose NSX because they have us as a middleman for support.

What other advice do I have?

I rated this solution a seven because the search button really bothers me. Also, because it isn't always able to finish an operation.

HS
Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Enables us to provision new customers significantly faster and the stability has been rock solid

• "The stability is rock solid."
  • "The initial setup was complex. There's a lot of things you have to factor in, like security, backup, disaster recovery, monitoring, and how to maintain the platform. It's something we still struggle with, but it's getting better."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to onboard multiple customers into a multi-tenant platform.

How has it helped my organization?

My company's a traditional hardware reseller so moving into a subscription-based model is challenging from a sales perspective. It's a new way of getting customers in and getting them tightly coupled with my company.

The self-service capabilities have affected the way that our customers can now do their own thing. Whereas in our old legacy platform, we had to sit down and do stuff for our customers. We don't require as many people to maintain the platform.

It has also enabled us to provision new clients faster. We can provision a new customer in a few hours and they will be up and running.

What is most valuable?

The multi-tenancy feature is very important for us from a service perspective. The recent new capabilities are a huge step forward for this product.

The data protection, disaster recovery, and container features are limited but evolving as well. We use some third party products for data protection and disaster recovery.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a full transition to NSX-T, more work on the container, and double integration.

The stability is rock solid.

We're still a small, newly started service provider so we haven't had a lot of scale yet.

Their technical support is very good compared to other vendors.

The main reason that we switched solutions was that we were running a legacy based infrastructure as a service. Customers had to submit a ticket and then we did something in the background for the customer. They requested self-service capabilities, so that was the main reason we knew it was time to switch.

The initial setup was complex. There's a lot of things you have to factor in, like security, backup, disaster recovery, monitoring, and how to maintain the platform. It's something we still struggle with, but it's getting better.

I implemented it myself. I designed and deployed the solution myself because I have a long background with VMware. We haven't used any external companies for implementation.

I would advise someone looking into this or a similar solution to get people who understand the technology and what you can do with it to get the program right the first time. You can make a lot of mistakes during the deployment. Get someone in there to help you if you don't understand the product 100 percent.

I rated this solution an eight. I believe that everything has room for improvement and wouldn't give any solution a ten.

We only looked at VMware. We looked at alternatives like OnApp but we saw that VMware was moving forward with a lot of innovation on the vCloud Director and stuck to that.

JD
    OSS Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Evolved version and the self-service features are especially valuable

• "It has helped us develop a better way of selling services to customers, evolve from the typical housing, and make revenues for the Telefonica company."
    • "I would like to see mode accessory recovery and integration with SD-WAN."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider and our primary use case for vCloud Director is to build our own product.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

We like that it's multi-tenant, is supported, that it evolves with time and allows us to offer services to our enterprise customers in the B2B segment

The self-service features have been very valuable to our organization. We are a service provider so we push access to our customers so that they can self-serve. With every version, it evolves more. It gets better with time.

It allows us to provision new clients faster because we also automate with CLI which is a valuable feature for us.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see Business recovery and integration with SD-WAN.

More than five years.

Stability is very good, rock solid.

We have some limitations with scalability because we are service providers. In the past with things like the number of VLANs, external networks, and the number of volumes per customer, we had to be very, very careful to be able to scale properly and with business sense.

Their technical support is very good.

We've been in the hosting business for fifteen years, so it was a natural evolution for us when it came time to switch. In a way, we are growing together with VMware.

The initial setup was straightforward the first time. It was complex the second time. It became a brownfield because we had several products integrated and we had to connect them every time. The roadmap wasn't easy, but we did it.

We went directly with VMware Professional Services for the integration. We wanted a guaranteed seal and quality from the vendor.

In terms of costs, I would say there is no comparison between this solution and alternatives. If you are in the market for VMware services, that's just what it is. You don't have any other product like this on the market.

We didn't look at other alternatives because we know that no other vendors have what VMware has.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking into this or a similar solution I would tell you to start fresh and start with VMware Professional Services and their architects from the beginning.

I would definitely rate this solution a ten. It has been working flawlessly for the last ten years and we have been very happy with it.

SB
    Senior Cloud Architect at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
    Enables us to provision our clients faster but the initial setup was complex

• "Their technical support is great. We had some difficult cases and they were able to solve them in a timely manner."
    • "Initially, the setup was complex."

What is our primary use case?

We use vCloud Director for our customers. They use it to deploy work machine networking and to manage their own applications and backup solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

It enables us to provision our clients faster but the process is different. It is faster and the customer can auto-deploy via a template. It can take three to five minutes depending on the type of operating system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are that our customers can create their own data center.  At the moment we don't use vCloud Director for data protection or disaster recovery. We are thinking about seeing the demo for vCloud Director and to implement the data next year.

The self-service capabilities have allowed our customers to have their own templates and to deploy from those templates.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see them up the storage.

Three to five years.

We've been using this solution for more than four years and we have found it to be stable.

We have found it to be scalable. Each year we know they will implement more and more features.

Their technical support is great. We had some difficult cases and they were able to solve them in a timely manner. Overall, we are satisfied.

Initially, the setup was complex but VMware is working to simplify the integration.

We implemented it ourselves.

Our customers see reduced costs because they use our solution. I see that the company is growing and is a positive part of the solution.

Our customers use different products like Azure, Amazon, and VMware. They use our infrastructure for disaster recovery. The objective is to recover.

We chose to switch to VMware because our customers don't want to spend a lot to change make a transition.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone looking into this or a similar solution to use vCloud Director if a customer wants to remove their old hardware.

I rated this solution an eight because it's a good product.

TT
    Senior Solution Specialist with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Our customers can take care of their virtual data centers with the self-service portal. It could be more stable.

• "The self-service portal is the most valuable. We are acting as a service provider, so our customers can take care of their virtual data centers with the self-service portal. Therefore, we don't need staff for it."
    • "We consider it intuitive and user-friendly. It offers a variety of functions for the customer to control the networking, virtual workloads, disk snapshots, and all of vSphere's core features."
    • "It could be more stable. We have had issues with multiple different versions."
    • "vCloud Director could use the vCenter database to store information. This way, we don't end up in a situation where we have things going out of sync."

What is our primary use case?

We using it for the public cloud.

What is most valuable?

The self-service portal is the most valuable. We are acting as a service provider, so our customers can take care of their virtual data centers with the self-service portal. Therefore, we don't need staff for it.

What needs improvement?

vCloud Director could use the vCenter database to store information. This way, we don't end up in a situation where we have things going out of sync.

More than five years.

It could be more stable. We have had issues with multiple different versions. However, we are managing it.

The scalability works as it should.

The technical support could be better. We managing with the current support though.

We did not use a previous solution.

The setup is complex as we have our own customized portals which we integrated with the product. It's quite a complex solution.

We did the deployment in-house.

The solution is costly, efficient, and robust versus alternative solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Do a proof a concept before making a decision.

CM
    Pre-Sales Engineer at Secura

• "vCloud Director requires less knowledge to get into in the first place. Therefore, when we bring in new members of staff, we can always give them the customer experience straightaway, and they can pick it up quite easily."
    • "We have had very minor problems with it when we've been upgrading."

What is our primary use case?

We use the vCloud Director as a multi-tenanted cloud provider, and it's amazing. It makes provisioning new customers so much easier, and our customers are given power over their platform. It gives them the idea that they have a virtual private cloud. It is the main product that we sell in our business.

How has it helped my organization?

vCloud Director requires less knowledge to get into in the first place. Therefore, when we bring in new members of staff, we can always give them the customer experience straightaway, and they can pick it up quite easily. This means the training is easy to start with, then we can introduce them to the more advanced features behind the scenes later on.

In terms of disaster recovery (DR), we sell it as a service to our clients. We have our vCloud Directors spanning across two different data centers. We've had some of them that had problems go wrong in one data center with their software. Then, we are able to just move them across with no problems, except for minor downtime. Everything works together, which has been great.

What is most valuable?

The scalability is amazing. It gives our customers the options that they need. If they suddenly need to add more resources, they don't need to plan for it. They just need to pay us for it, and we can extend it for them.

It's good giving the customers power. Thus, if a customer wants to reboot their server or if their server is hung, they don't need to give us a call. They simply need to log into their portal and reboot it.

What needs improvement?

I've seen that there are more HTML5 bits coming in. With that, it's exposing more of the NSX. So, if they keep going in the same direction where they give more features under the hood in vSphere to be exposed to the vCloud Director, that would be great. The bits they've done so far as we've been going forward into the vSphere 6.5 have been good. I would like them to just keep doing what they are doing going forward.

Stability has been great. We have had very minor problems with it when we've been upgrading, but VMware has always stepped in. They have been able to fix everything for us. It's a fantastic product.

The scalability has been very good. We can add more hosts in. We have not had any problems with it so far.

The technical support is great. We've used VMware support primarily with our upgrades, and they have been great every time. We've had some issues, and they've always been able to fix them in a good time frame.

The initial setup was complex at first, because none of us had dealt with the technology before. However, as we followed documentation and had help from VMware to get us off the ground, it became easier as time went on and we became more familiar with the product.

We deployed it in-house.

Provisioning new clients is normally very quick. It's quite easy just to roll out a new client. The only complicated bit is deploying the service for them afterwards.

VMware was always the way to go because other platforms, like Hyper-V, were already out there, but the products weren't as mature. They didn't have as many features. VMware is very good for HA and disaster recovery. We needed the scalability, because we started as a very small business and VMware allowed us to expand without too much hassle.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product. It is like magic. It allows you to do so much.

Put it in a lab, and you'll instantly fall in love with it. That's all you need to know. Just give it a go. If you're looking for something that allows your customers to get access to their VMs and stop bothering you, then get in there and try this solution out.

vRealize Orchestrator is a powerful tool. A common query that we get from our customers is they might have issues where their servers are slowing down, but they have no idea why. So, we can pull up all of the graphs and say, “Very clearly your storage is too busy. It has too many IOPS or your CPU is maxing out.” This gives us a sales opportunity, because we can sell them a resource, and hopefully fix their problem.

We don't use the container features.

PD
    Senior Engineer with 501-1,000 employees

• "We use it to replicate VMs for our customers from one data center to another data center."
    • "If you use it for a lot of customers, it is too heavy for this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for hosting our customers: a single environment with a single GUI. Our customers are known to have compute and Eos infrastructure cells.

With vCloud Director, our customers can use the VMs:

• They can destroy them.
    • They can create new ones.
    • They can change them.

They can do this in simplest and quickest way possible.

What is most valuable?

• Its simplicity
    • It is powerful.

You can use it for a few customers. However, if you use it for a lot of customers, it is too heavy for this solution.

Concurrent users use tends to go slowly.

The technical support is super.

We decided to automate our actions.

The initial setup was complex because we had more than one solution to implement.

For VMware, we hired an engineer for a couple of days.

We are able to provision new clients faster. Every month, we take on more customers.

HPE and VMware were on our shortlist.

We have also used Microsoft SPLA.

What other advice do I have?

We use vRealize Orchestrator with vCloud Director for creating work flows. You can automate your work.

Using the self-service capabilities, our customers can quickly use the product with instructions and learn it within an hour.

JA
    ICT specialist
    It is fast at deploying environments. If you have a deployed environment and lose it, you can't easily deploy it back.

What is our primary use case?

We are using it as our QA environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us with user segmentation and QA.

What is most valuable?

It is fast at deploying environments and good for segmenting users.

What needs improvement?

If you have a deployed environment and lose it, you can't easily deploy it back with vCloud Director. Because of this reason, we don't have the data protection, disaster recovery, and container features.

Stability is okay.

Scalability is great.

I haven't used technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward. …

What is our primary use case?

We are using it as our QA environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us with user segmentation and QA.

What is most valuable?

It is fast at deploying environments and good for segmenting users.

Stability is okay.

Scalability is great.

I haven't used technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It enables us to provision new clients more quickly.

I haven't used any alternative solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Go for this solution, but you will need quite a big environment to utilize vCloud Director.

PD
    IT Administrator with 201-500 employees
    Its self-service capabilities allow us to give resources to our customers. They can spin up as many or as few machines as they like.

• "So far, we have had no problems at all, as it has been very stable. It is working well."
    • "vCloud Director works and makes my life easier. Its self-service capabilities allow us to give resources to our customers. They can spin up as many or as few machines as they like, and it works."
    • "There didn't seem to be any type of integrated path on how to do the initial setup. There seemed to be different bits of paperwork or instructions available from various places. We always had to go looking for what to do next."

What is our primary use case?

We use it and have several customers who use it.

It has performed well. We don't have any real problems with it.

How has it helped my organization?

The product helped us get more customers, so that worked out quite well. It saves us a lot of time provisioning new clients.

What is most valuable?

vCloud Director works and makes my life easier. Its self-service capabilities allow us to give resources to our customers. They can spin up as many or as few machines as they like, and it works. We don't have to worry about it. We maintain the platform, and our customers take care of the rest.

I am happy with the data protection.

So far, we have had no problems at all, as it has been very stable. It is working well.

I always worry about disaster recovery. I can't afford for it to break.

It is very scalable, which is one of the reasons that we use it. We have not had to increase the resources that we have thrown at it yet. However, when we do, the process should be straightforward.

We have never really needed any technical support.

When we were first creating the cloud, we asked for some input from some VMware specialists. Since then, we haven't had any issues.

We were using VMware already, then some of our customers asked if we could give them a cloud solution

In the end, the initial setup was straightforward, but we had to try to do it a few times.

There seemed to be different bits of paperwork or instructions available from various places. We always had to go looking for what to do next. There didn't seem to be any type of integrated path on how to do the initial setup.

We used a consultant for the deployment.

We had experience with VMware, so we stuck with VMware.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend VMware and vCloud Director, if they want to go cloud.

Avi Saadi
    System Administrator at Bezeq
    Organizations can use this product for disaster recovery

• "Technical support is great. They help us 24/7."
    • "We are having a bit of a problem with vCloud Availability. We know that vRA has a new product, HCX. We would like to know about it, then migrate to the product."

What is our primary use case?

It's a virtual data center for customers, and it's performing well.

How has it helped my organization?

Organizations can use this product for disaster recovery or for migration to our cloud.

This solution enables us to provision new clients more quickly.

What is most valuable?

We are using it like a virtual data center for customers with all the benefits.

What needs improvement?

We are also looking for upgraded VMware environments to the latest versions.

The stability is very good.

The scalability is very good. We are working now to increase the size of our environment.

Technical support is great. They help us 24/7.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution. It is a very good product.

We would like to start using the container feature and PKS. We are mostly using the vCloud Director, vSAN, and vCloud Availability.

Right now, we are not using their self-service. We implemented our self-services. Developers in our company make a self-service portal. However, we are also looking at the self-service of VMware products.

Dan Belmonte Alcaraz
    Solutions Engineer at NTT Com MS
    The compatibility with vSAN and NSX is its greatest feature. However, we previously had compatibility issues migrating VMs from a vCenter to it.

• "The compatibility with vSAN and NSX is the greatest feature of vCloud. It also has integration with vROps, which is quite nice."
    • "In version 6.7, compatibility to migrate VMs from a vCenter to vCloud Director had a problem. However, this has been solved in the newest version."

What is our primary use case?

We use it in a new data center.

What is most valuable?

The compatibility with vSAN and NSX is the greatest feature of vCloud Director. It also has integration with vROps, which is quite nice.

What needs improvement?

In version 6.7, compatibility to migrate VMs from a vCenter to vCloud Director had a problem. However, this has been solved in the newest version.

The stability is good.

The scalability is the best part.

Our customer wanted to deliver a host and new services. We discussed what would be good solution and thought that vCloud Director would work.

It has enabled us to provision new clients faster. We don't have to configure a new host nor configure a new VM. We just have to secure it.

It is better than other solutions out there when it comes to cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend, especially with the new features coming out in versions 8.0 and 9.0.

it_user669336
    Owner at a tech services company
    With the resource pool payment model, you pay for resources instead of paying for hourly use. As pure IaaS software, it includes no additional services.

• "Remote console (ability to control booting and OS installation process)."
    • "Lacking additional services reduces the level of cloud integration companies just love with Amazon and Azure."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

• Remote console (ability to control booting and OS installation process).
    • Support for Windows desktop OS's (mostly used as test machines for software development companies).
    • Resource pool payment model (pay for resources instead of paying for hourly use).

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to test Windows desktop OS's (XP, 7, 8, 8.1, 10).

What needs improvement?

This is pure IaaS cloud backend software with absolutely no additional services which are offered by Amazon and Microsoft today. Lacking additional services reduces the level of cloud integration companies just love with Amazon and Azure.

To go into more detail:

vCloud Director is the alternative to Amazon EC2 and that's it. However,
    Amazon AWS offers approx. 50 other services such as S3, Glacier, RDS,
    Lambda, Workspaces, Elastic Beanstalk, RedShift, X-Ray, etc. Compare it to VMware Cloud Platform and you will quickly see how many services VMware doesn't offer today.

Customers require tight integration of different platforms provided by a single vendor in order to increase performance of their environment and drive down TCO. VMware still doesn't have cloud offering that compares to Amazon AWS or Microsoft Azure.

I have used VCloud Director for over five years.

No stability issues.

The resource pool payment model is very limited when it comes to scalability.

I rate technical support 6/10.

We used rented servers running VMware ESX/vSphere on SoftLayer and decided to switch to VCloud Director because we got tired of the hardware issues we had with those servers (RAID controller failures, HDD failures).

Initial setup was straightforward.

We tried Terremark, which was also based on VMware (don't know if they used VCloud Director).

Infrastructure Expert at Cloud Counselage Inc. (www.cloudcounselage.com)
    FT capacity issues are now resolved in vSphere 6.0.

What is most valuable?

vCloud Director: To name a few, ease of use, robust security and easy extensibility to VMware's Hybrid cloud platform; VMware vCloud Air and public cloud space.

vCAC (vCloud Automation Center): Now known as 'vRealize Automation' is the best in class, high profile automation for your cloud workflows. Vendor neutral; Apart from VMware Cloud suits, it can be used with other vendor cloud platforms like Amazon, OpenStack, Azure etc.

vROps (vCenter Operations Manager): Now known as 'vRealize Operations'; vROps is the best in class most granular, high penetration monitoring, investigative and troubleshooting tool for your Cloud, datacenter, VDI environments Used for Capacity planning, Performance monitoring and troubleshooting etc.

vSphere: vSphere being the foundation for vCloud, there are many takeaways; Long distance vMotion, HA, FT, DRS, Storage DRS, Storage profiles, dual heartbeat in cluster environments. 4X capacity increase in 6.0 compared to version 5. vCenter Server Appliance now has the same scalability numbers as the Windows installable vCenter Server: 1,000 hosts and 10,000 virtual machines. FT now supports 4 vCPUs VMs and 64GB memory with Storage redundancy.

How has it helped my organization?

vSphere: vMotion (ease of migrating VMs from one host to another), DRS (ease of migrating VMs from one host to another automatically to balance out workloads in cluster environments), Storage DRS (ease of migrating VMs from one Datastore to another automatically to balance out workloads in storage cluster environments, HA (High availability is ensured by the newly developed FDM construct. FT (Ensuring 100% up-times reliably), Storage profiles (to bifurcate storage tiers accoring to the SLAs etc., dual heartbeat in cluster environments for confirmed Host isolation avoiding false alarms/isolation responses; key to maintain SLAs.

What needs improvement?

FT capacity issues are resolved now in vSphere 6.0. Cheers!!

I've been using vSphere, vCloud Director, vCOPs suits and vCAC for almost 4 years.

None.

None.

FT capacity issues are resolved now in vSphere 6.0. Cheers!

Excellent.

Excellent.

Yes; Microsoft's Azure for cloud and Hyper-V for virtualization. The reason for switching was indeed the efficiency crisis with Hyper-V resulting in subsequent service issues ->service tickets-> increased number of troubleshooting tasks -> increased number of breaches in the SLAs

Straightforward, as it's designed at a more abstract level.

Vendor as-well-as in-house. I give them a 5-star rating.

Depends on the licences purchased per ESXi, vCenter for vSphere and licences purchased for vCloud Director, vCOPs suites.

Yes; Microsoft's Azure for cloud and Hyper-V for virtualization.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. Follow the bottom-up approach; VMware's Implementation Guide for each product and you will sail through.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Cloud Counselage Inc. (www.cloudcounselage.com) is an official 'Solution Provider' Partner with VMware Inc. 1. Our website link for events: https://www.cloudcounselage.com/events.html 2. Our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/cloudcounselage 3. Our LinkedIn page: www.linkedin.com/company/cloud-counselage 4. Our Twitter page (still new): www.twitter.com/CloudCounselage
    it_user335202
    Lead Enterprise Systems Architect at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Video Review
    Our developers have a straight line to be able to provision resources and help the business move along on new platforms.

Valuable Features

The most valuable features of course is resiliency between data centers and within the data center and application availability for our enterprise environments and also to help our business be a leader in our industry which has helped us for growth based on our quality of infrastructure.

Improvements to My Organization

Really the benefits of a vCloud Director are for our developers to have a straight line to be able to provision resources and help the business move along on new platforms and provision things rapidly for the business without allowing them to have full control to move those environments into production.

Room for Improvement

Really what I would like to see is some of the capabilities from like IBM XIV to where essentially VMware could mask physical CPUs from certain virtual machines so that in the instances like Oracle where we could save on licensing and not have to cover licensing across unused resources. For me, I think it would be great eventually in the future for VMware to have that capability to mask CPU and coordinate with Oracle to where smaller businesses who don't have enterprise license agreements to cover any and all CPUs to be able to license these assets and not have to carve out physical resources just for work or workloads or any other type of virtual work clause that depend on CPU counts within physical resources.

Use of Solution

Our primary platform is vSphere, everything is licensed on enterprise plus. We also run vCloud Director in our development environment that we eventually want to spread for automation and to our production environments as well. I'm also here to look into the vRealize Suite to eventually upgrade those environments to the latest platforms.

Stability in solutions is fantastic. In the life cycles that we've had all the products, we've maybe had some hiccups here and there only on the hardware side. Of course, within any large enterprise environment, there's always some hiccups but even with those the HA failures that we've had, the recovery time within the application platforms has been fantastic and that's been reported up to the CIO and up to the CEO of the company. They have visibility to that and that's why they love the product features of vSphere.

The scalability is fantastic as well. We're a Dell customer so within our environments, we actually use Dell Blades. On that platform, we're able to scale out rapidly within our clusters and provision new resources really within a matter of days or if we have hardware onsite, it's a matter of minutes.

I got to be honest from my side as a vExpert, I handle a lot of front-line, high level cases that may happen. I have a good group of Engineers that I work with, that I help train on VMware to be able to handle any issues that come up. Issues really don't happen very often because we do invest in a lot of tools to help us in the environment in case there's any issues. Support has been great. They're very good at communicating back and forth with the VMware support and also any of the third party plugins that we have between hardware solutions and software solutions, all of them are great with coordinating with VMware support.

Other Advice

VMware's been the market leader in the virtualization segment for many, many years. I've worked with the product since 1.0 days and I've seen the evolution of the other hypervisors as well but none have totally matched the enterprise quality that VMware has.

Peer reviews are important but hands on with the products and doing POCs are very important as well. Really, I think from my standpoint, the peer reviews help to focus on needs for a particular enterprise environment or particular solution and I think it helps weigh out what features may not be necessarily needed for particular solution. Really, peer reviews I think are fantastic. I do them all the time but that depends on use case what you need them for.

it_user240039
    Lead Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Originally posted https://anthonyspiteri.net/vcloud-director-8-new-features-and-a-new-ui-addition/ Since June the vCloud Director SP Beta has been running with a lot of renewed interest in the IaaS Platform. The beta was well participated in and there was a lot of robust discussion around the future of vCD as well as questions around the lack of a decent UI for those without in house development skills to exploit the new API only features. The beta program was closed the weekend of VMworld San Francisco with v8.0 GA’ing a few weeks later. With the v8.0 SP release the vCD team have started to incorporate enhancements from the vCloud Air vCD builds, though the original 6 month lag between VCA services coming to the SP builds seems to have fallen by the wayside.…

Before diving into the new features of the 8.0 version I thought it would be a great time to highlight the release history of vCloud Director since v 1.0 was released back in August of 2010. There have been 6 major releases and 16 minor releases which backs up one of my biggest claims around platform maturity and as to why vCloud Director is the best Cloud Management Platform on the market when it comes to the abstraction of vSphere resources and presenting pools of compute, storage and networking via a true multi-tenant interface.

VMware vCloud Director 8.0 Features:

• vSphere 6.0 Support:

This to me is the biggest reason to look at upgraded to the new build. Support for vSphere 6.0 is significant for Service Providers who are looking to upgrade to take advantage of all the new features and benefits and optimizations. Note that Hardware Version 11 is not supported and won’t be exposed via the Provider vDCs.

• NSX 6.1.4 Support:

This is also a significant feature that allows Service Providers to have NSX-v 6.1.4 deployed and working in a supported fashion with vCloud Director. Deployment of the vShield Edges will be 5.5.4 builds and allow deployments, redeployments and manageability to be maintained.

• Organizational virtual data center (vDC) templates:

System administrators can now develop organization specific virtual data center templates with pre-set resource and delegation rules. Organizations deploy these templates to quickly create new virtual data centers on a self-service basis – Without API capabilities this feature can’t be accessed…however I don’t see a great amount of value in this particular feature as in general SPs doing their own provisioning do so off workflows that take into consideration self service vDC profiles.

• vApp enhancements:

System administrators can now reconfigure virtual machines within a vApp, as well as network connectivity and virtual machine capability during vApp instantiation – Again from what I’ve seen this features can’t be accessed unless you are deploying and modifying vApps/VMs from the API. I know that this perticular feature solves a problem with Zettagrid faced in creating our vCD UI where VMs needed to be created first and then only able to be modified after that was complete…this allow VM composition on the fly.

• OAuth support for identity sources:

OAuth2 tokens are now supported – Probably a feature that isn’t going to be used by most Service Providers…unless I’m missing something?

• Tenant throttling:

Prevents a few tenants from consuming a majority of the resources for a single instance of vCloud Director and ensures fairness of execution and scheduling among tenants – This sounds like an awesome features that gives the ability for workloads to be throttled to protect against noisy neighbors and sets more granular control of what a tenant can consume in terms of storage, compute and networking…however it’s only offering a new algorithm that ensures operations running or in queue from a “busy” tenant do not stop or slow down a request from a “sedentary” tenant. The tenant throttling feature only gives control over the number of simultaneous resource-intensive operations any tenant can run…ie this might be fairly useful in large (vCloud Air) vCD deployments, but isn’t a ground breaking feature that offers too much to the majority of SPs.

• Preparation for Advanced Networking Services:

The answer to the question as to what’s Changed in the UI is…nothing…however interestingly I did spot a UI addition which had been introduced (apparently undocumented) in preparation for the still not yet in Beta Advanced Networking Service which will allow vCD to interact with a new appliance that acts as the gateway for vCD and NSX to talk advanced services.

Can’t say too much more on the Advanced Networking Service but it will be fed down to vCAN Service Providers on the back of it’s release in vCloud Air last month as part of VMware’s commitment to delayed feature parity for SPs deployments and vCloud Air…good to see some UI enhancement in any case!

Final Thoughts:

As I mentioned above for the majority as Service Providers that can’t make use of the new features the biggest feature enhancements in this release is the compatibility with vSphere 6.0 and NSX-v 6.1.4 and even for those that have the capability to develop against the API’s the vApp Enhancements around VM recomposition will allow for a more streamlined provisioning flow for VMs but the other features are a little less impressive…however I am certainly looking forward to the next release as it should deliver a lot more vCloud Air service features.

it_user334515
    IT Infrastructure Engineer at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
    We’ve already deployed three-tiered applications with just a push of a button to deploy from dev to staging to production.

Valuable Features

Ability to give our developers a self-service environment, where they can go on particular portal and deploy their own systems.

Improvements to My Organization

Automation piece. If we can continue to develop automation for developers, that should seamlessly carry over into product environment as well without admin heavy lifting. In automation, there's still a lot of manual processes, but with vCloud, less so.

Room for Improvement

I don’t see any improvements that could be made based on the way we use it. Maybe some built-in third-party tools that we’re using now in terms of automation (i.e. Bamboo) would be an improvement.

In regards to stability, this gives you more control yet takes out the human element. There’s consistency that’s set in the script and then we can make small changes as we grow.

They’re now moving more into vRealize and more integrated systems. It used to need more scripting, but VMware are now working more hand in hand with other solutions.

Great tech support. I love those guys. Every time I had a ticket, I could escalate, and they’d work in tandem with other vendors (i.e. NetApp) to find solution.

I wasn't part of initial set-up, but I believe it’s complex based on the senior engineer’s experience.

For example, right now the metrics to upgrade is complex, requiring certain elements. It’s very simple to use and train end-users. In our shop, we try to make them more self-sufficient, so a lot of knowledge transfer.

Other Advice

Access the enormous amount of virtual apps they have to get practical performance instead of just the KB to deploy. They also need to get an understanding of audience as well. Understand pain points to understand how to approach solution.

It loses points because things are moving so quickly that it has yet to catch up.

it_user320277
    Virtual Systems Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Its flexibility allows me to adapt it to students' needs, although a better GUI for both students and administrators would be an improvement.

What is most valuable?

Flexibility – it allows me to adapt the product to all student needs.

How has it helped my organization?

Students using the environment vs. not using the environment. Students can find products that they want to use and if they’re using it, they’re happy with it.

What needs improvement?

Better GUI as they don’t hold with the programs that well. Better user interfaces in general. Both the administrative and user interfaces need to be better.

It’s fairly stable, no bugs no crashes.

It scales fine, it went from 1,000 to 2,000 machines without any issues at all.

Technical support’s wonderful. Whenever we find an issue, we submit a ticket and they resolve it within an hour usually. Sometimes the complexity of the environment is high, and that’s fine, but usually it’s very quick.

We were using Lab Manager, and when VMware discontinued it, we needed to switch.

Complicated – there was no upgrade path from Lab Manager to vCloud Director, so we basically had to design a new solution.

No, because of the time VMware has been in the market. I don’t like using people that are new, and VMware has been around for a long time. Also, we just thought it would be simpler to stay with the same vendor.

What other advice do I have?

I really don’t know of any products right now other than this. They’re pretty high – if someone has a peer review that’s low, I won’t consider the product.

it_user320640
    Infrastructure Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    We can import acquisition products into our environment without reconfiguring them and it's infinitely scalable.

Valuable Features

The physical segmentation of networking and security.

Improvements to My Organization

Lately we have been using it to import acquisition products into our environment without reconfiguring them at all, due to how the segmentation works.

Room for Improvement

I feel like vCloud is two years behind the feature set – in terms of the UI, and vCenter. I can't do the same tasks that I can do in terms of UI as with vCenter.

It's stable, usually admin error if something goes wrong.

It's infinitely scalable.

It's good overall. We have had times when it has been slower than we would have liked, but I would say that about every vendor we use.

Setup is easy.

Other Solutions Considered

It's all about the product, what limitations the product doesn’t have. We speak to vendors all the time, but once you see a product and how it will fit in then that’s the real test.

Other Advice

You can't go wrong with VMware. The stability and the flexibility it allows, they do it best compared to competitors. Peer reviews are fairly important but I try to form my opinion from a POC over anything else.

it_user297132
    Presales Cloud Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    ​It helps us provide private cloud solutions to our clients, but it is too platform dependent.

Valuable Features

The orchestrator is the most valuable feature.

Improvements to My Organization

It helps us provide private cloud solutions to our clients.

Room for Improvement

Though the product is quite good, I feel it needs a more public view, where the server access studies to migrate organizations into cloud be clearer. Also, orchestrator should be API based, and have templates to use instead of having to create the Java scripting from scratch. It also needs to be more independent of the platform on which it is used on.

Use of Solution

I've used it for two years.

It's very good.

It was complex as it does not include a good, extensive feasibility and compatibility guide.

Implementation Team

We used a vendor team who were very good.

ROI

It is quite good on ROI and year on year it is about 50%.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

vCloud Director is a good solution, but it is costly when compared to other solutions like Nutanix.

Other Solutions Considered

We didn't evaluate other solutions.

Other Advice

Choosing VMware in general, is best in terms of functionality, but it is not necessarily cost effective, as their licensing and setuo cost are too hight. Maybe we will see more products for cloud and automation.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: VMware Partners
    it_user234723
    Senior Cloud Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
    Summary: vCloud Director, once the flagship product spearheading VMware’s vCloud Suite, is slowly winding down for enterprise customers – potentially leaving some companies with a roadmap challenge. Having just started work for a cloud service provider in the Channel Islands (Foreshore) my focus has shifted and vCloud Director is a product I’m working with. After VMworld last year I wrote about how badly VMware communicated their product shift away from vCloud Director (vCD) and this year I’ve not seen much sign that communication has improved. At VMworld Barcelona this year only one session out of over 400 was about vCD. Yep. One (although to be fair it was ‘vCD roadmap for service providers’ – more on that later). How the mighty have fallen. What do we know about the vCD roadmap…

What do we know about the vCD roadmap?

As announced last year the vCloud Suite roadmap involves the current features moving into other products, both in the vCloud Automation Center (now vRealize Automation) and the core vSphere product. It’s likely that the provisioning aspects will go into vCAC (now vRealize Operations) and some of the network functionality (multi-tenancy in particular) will go into the ‘core’ vSphere product. vCloud Director will continue to exist for service providers but for enterprise customers there is a migration to be done. There was also the following statement;

Yes, VMware will offer a product migration path that enables customers and partners to move from vCD to VCAC…

So far, so good.

So what’s the problem?

The problem is it’s been a year since that announcement and there’s been near radio silence since then. If enterprise customers need to transition off vCloud Director then VMware need to provide information, preferably sooner rather than later, on how that’s likely to work.

The last I heard, 2017 was an approximate ‘end of life’ for vCloud Director for enterprises. While that’s a couple of years off that’s not long to transition potentially complex infrastructure, especially when the ‘final destination’ itself is in flux – what will vCAC look like in a couple of years? Presumably NSX (or some version of NSX Lite, backed into the core hypervisor) will provide the multi-tenancy but when? Should companies be buying into these products and gaining familiarity already?

While at VMworld I spoke to various VMware employees and I was told there is a team within VMware who are looking at this challenge. Even if there are some transition scripts or similar to help move certain aspects of functionality the transition is going to be a painful process. I’ll reiterate that everyone I spoke to tried to help and in some cases did make the situation clearer but it seems VMware didn’t send anyone with much knowledge of this to VMworld, and didn’t really plan on communicating anything. Maybe there’s just not enough to tell yet?

Given the timeframes involved I suspect VMware are relying on enterprises adopting vCAC and eventually NSX so that when the time comes to migrate it’s less of an issue.

A clearer roadmap for Service Providers

As I work for a service provider I also wanted to find out more about the roadmap for us. While at VMworld I made it my mission to find out some more information – that’s one of the great things about VMworld, there’s usually an abundance of information. Via the Meet the Expert sessions I spoke to Ninad Desai and Gurusimran Khalsa from VMware who were both very helpful (thanks guys) and I even tried the VMware stand in the Solutions Exchange but they didn’t have anyone to talk about vCD. vCloud Air, VMware’s new flagship offering, is still based on vCD under the hood so at least service providers can be assured that development will be ongoing and aggressive. It’s clear the components and APIs will continue evolving individually (vCNS to NSX for example) but there won’t be a VMware provided GUI to unify them in the same way that vCloud Director has in the past. vCloud Director’s latest release, vCD-SP 5.6, makes it clear that VMware partners will create the GUI going forward;

This was also covered in the single vCD session at VMworld (PAR3096, “New features and interfaces for vCD”) which included the three initial partners offering a front end for vCD (Onapp, Parallels, & AirVM). Unfortunately these third party GUIs will be an extra cost so service providers will have to decide whether they can absorb the increase or have to pass it on to their customers. VMware’s rationale is that a more frequent release cycle (driven by vCloud Air no doubt) justifies existing prices but I can’t help feel that service providers are getting less than we used to for the same cost.

As an aside, I’m still curious as to how partners will compete against vCloud Air despite VMware’s recent recommitment to it’s partner network. Antoni Spiteri thinks it’s all good but for a certain percentage of their partners I’m more inclined towards his earlier post entitled vCHS vs vCloud Providers. VMware will always be able to integrate new features before their partners, they have a larger marketing budget, and more market clout – the only thing VMare don’t have is a global network of datacentres (yet). Data sovereignty is critical to many customers so for the time being that’s enough to keep partners in business but they’re going to have to differentiate more keenly to stay in business.

Final thoughts

For enterprise companies who bought into VMware’s original vision for vCloud Director they can’t transition off the platform overnight – they’re using features which can’t be offered today via another VMware product and it takes considerable time to move to other tools, rewrite code, change processes and reintegrate functionality. Hopefully VMware have a migration plan and it can be better communicated so everyone can plan their roadmaps.

Personally I’m surprised there wasn’t more conversation at VMworld on this topic. Am I missing something? I’d love to hear in the comments.

Further Reading

Flexiant’s 7 reasons not to rely on vCloud Director (though they are obviously a competitor they’re still relevant)

Technical Lead Engineer at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
    It's definitely beta and I'm not a big fan of some aspects of the implementation, specifically that I might find myself jumping between this and the provided vCloud director a lot. It's not all bad though. Click through if you'd like to read my overview/opinion of the service. Main Page: To start, I could not get to the management using Chrome or Safari on my Mac. Only when I used Firefox was I finally able to get to the management page. Once logged in I was provided w/ essentially two obvious options. Make a Virtual Private Cloud OnDemand or view My Subscriptions. Once clicking the "Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) OnDemand" option and choosing a geographic location, I was committed to paying 'a cost', just to make a VPC. Technically, I 'get' it, but to charge for what is…

Once logged in I was provided w/ essentially two obvious options. Make a Virtual Private Cloud OnDemand or view My Subscriptions. Once clicking the "Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) OnDemand" option and choosing a geographic location, I was committed to paying 'a cost', just to make a VPC. Technically, I 'get' it, but to charge for what is essentially an imaginary boundary to start with is well, 'petty'. It wasn't really clear what that 'cost' was, but I'll just assume 'beta'.

Resource Usage Tab (aka billing): IP billing doesn't make sense to me. My VPC has 461.99 IP's reserved or is that a per hour cost? I don't get it.

I'm just going to assume this gets cleaned up and provides more explanation in GA code. This may be a Beta bug, but I wasn't able to see historically what was using storage that I was billed for after I deleted the VM's that were using it.

You'll also notice a dropdown for region. If you select a different region that you didn't select upon your original VPC deployment, you're prompted as to whether you want to create one.

Uhh, yes? How much is this going to cost me?

Doing so, you'll need to wait while it's created. It took about a good 30 minutes for me, but again 'beta'. Hoping GA spins things up much faster.

Virtual Machines Tab:

On this tab is where I can create virtual machines and view a list of my created virtual machines. Standard fare, and from here I can manage from within vCloud Director. It'll open another interface for me to do more things. Why? I don't really know. It would be nice to see an addition column where I can simply click to open the VM's console from this view. Even if it is one by one or even a simple screenshot of the current screen.

Creating a virtual machine is relatively easy, VMware provides a pretty standard catalog of virtual machines. It's also possible to build your own catalog, but that'll forward you to vCloud Director to do so. Not sure if I like that. I understand the 'modular' approach, but not a fan of it from a user usability perspective.

I assume there is a cost difference, again would be nice to see what that is as I'm building it. Would also like to see something to the effect of 'expected performance numbers' and show whether hot-add is enabled or not. Easier to sell the idea of smaller vm's to start w/ option to grow on the fly as needed.

Once done, you're simply presented w/ a spinning circle indicating that vCloud Air is deploying your VM.

Gateway Tab:
    Nothing much you can do from this tab beyond seeing your created gateways.

To add additional gateways, you need to jump into the vCloud Director interface.

The good thing about the interface when you do need to jump into vCloud Director is that it is contextually aware. In other words, it will open vCloud Director to the page w/ the related settings.

Final Impressions:

I'm rather mixed. It is dead simple, but it still feels like duct taped solutions in a lot of aspects. I didn't even get into the API, which is REST-ful, simply due to time and the documentation site was giving me lots of java errors.

I didn't get the impression that when I create VPC's in multiple geo-graphical datacenters that I could get a universal view of all my VPC's. This would be especially important if I'm creating global service catalogs. As it is right now, I get the feeling that I would have to duplicate effort in two different geo locations. I can't even imagine more than that.

To be fair though, I think these are the same kind of problems I have w/ AWS. I also was not able to test the hybrid cloud connector in vCenter. There is also the matter of SSO, I didn't really see if there was a way to connect my onsite directory services to reduce login complexity.

Consultor TI with 51-200 employees
    ​It has easy to deploy machines but is now difficult to implement because VMware no longer offers the product.

What is most valuable?

It has easy to deploy machines.

How has it helped my organization?

A department can deploy a machine easily without using the IT department.

I only used it for four months.

None in this version.

No issues encountered.

Yes, a lot including, for example, with Chargeback Manager integration.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical Support: 5/10 as the VMware support seem very ignorant.

No, but in the future, we are planning to install Open…

What is most valuable?

It has easy to deploy machines.

How has it helped my organization?

A department can deploy a machine easily without using the IT department.

I only used it for four months.

None in this version.

No issues encountered.

Yes, a lot including, for example, with Chargeback Manager integration.

8/10.

5/10 as the VMware support seem very ignorant.

No, but in the future, we are planning to install Open Stack as it's simpler.

It has an easy setup by following the documentation.

We used a vendor team who I would rate as 7/10.

We couldn't calculate it.

Yes, with other colleagues. No implementations being done by us at the moment.

What other advice do I have?

I think VMware has abandoned the product a with vSphere 5.5, vCloud Director is an obsolete solution. As VMware no longer offers the product, it is now difficult to implement.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a VMware partner.
    System Administrator at a cloud provider with 51-200 employees
    Although deployment is simple, I suggest taking security and licensing compliance into consideration when doing so.

Valuable Features

The real multi tenancy and distributed administration for vDCs is the goal of this product, which combines consuming resources as a service with a great governance model for different customers.

Suppose you need to build one or more virtual datacenter, and meet the demands of customers, supplier and departments. In a traditional architecture (vCenter and esxi hosts) you need hard integration work to answer this problem.

vCloud director solves this problem weaving computational resources, storage and networking with consumption requests from companies, departments and individual operators in a dynamic and safe way.

Improvements to My Organization

We combine this architecture with existing vDCs with limited business impact (because vMotion could aid to limit or eliminate downtime). Now selling VM, request demo or trying an environment is very simple: just a few clicks to go!

Improvement in IT departments regarding the delivery of virtual datacenters for Business, Government and Captive area (holding headquarters and associated companies). Hospitals and Governments could use this because data is under their control, with very low risks for stability and security: governance still remains with the cloud consumer.

In my scenario I'm using 2 vDCs (marked as gold and platinum) in 2 different places and allow an organization (our customer) to use parts of these vDCs to stretch VM distribution across a datacenter, make DR on-demand (and without up-front costs) and respond quickly to business demands.

Use of Solution

I've been using this solution for 3 years.

Deployment is very simple, but I suggest a little design and hardening phase to meet security and licensing compliance.

Product is mature enough to support huge loads: the underlining technology is the best in class to meet many customer needs. The product is very stable.

Product is born to be scalable, because it should be used in different modes (cloud provider and private cloud environment).

People say that VMware customer service is very helpful and quick to solve issues. In my life I've use this service only for administrative issues (contracts, portals, licensing); this is because documentation, their knowledge base and community always are enough for problem solving.

Official documentation is very good, and could give you skill to deploy, run and improve your vCD system (VMware always work hard for this phase).

Setup was quite straightforward, because VMware always provides great documentation for deployment, configuration and troubleshooting.

Implementation Team

I deployed and set up this system in-house (my team staff: virtualization area), because this is a company core-business, and it is the minimum to do to learn and solve problems quickly.

ROI

Our ROI was reached considering 2 factors:

- A service provider model built on VMWare contracts and many resource delivery models, cost are as-a-service and bound to the VM vRAM: licensing cost is 1:1 to the assigned resource. Considering 50% of infrastructure cost per VM in 3 years, 10% of VMware cost and 10% of infrastructure cost, break even could be in 1.5 years.

- In both private and public scenarios many administrative tasks are solved by on-demand models that could be elastic and efficient. Considered a manpower reduction of about 40% and a potential reduction of 99% for provisioning tasks. IT Virtual administrator staff finally do the real job: troubleshoot, provision and do only heavy activities with less effort.

One more important thing: vCloud works with his chargeback product to show and take many costs under control.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

As mentioned above, the service provider model costs are calculated considering:

- physical environment cost (up front cost or by loan)

- licensing cost 1:1 to vRAM

- setup requires no more than 1 week.

Other Advice

Before installing vCloud director, I suggest:

1. Check HCL and compatibility matrix between vCloud director, vSphere and vCloud network and security (ex: vShield manager)

2. Use vDC resources only for vCloud director purpose, don't mix traditional vSphere and vCloud director usage.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: VMWare Partner Service Provider
    it_user6696
    Director of IT at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Great product, if you are already heavily invested with VMware

Valuable Features:

Simple, scalable, and comprehensive solution for large enterprises

Room for Improvement:

It is not targeted to smaller and midsize companies. Pricing can be beyond their budgets.

Other Advice:

There is a great amount of work to be done before considering deployment of this or any other cloud platform

Valuable Features:

Simple, scalable, and comprehensive solution for large enterprises

Other Advice:

Virtualization Counsultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Best solution for big enterprises
    Best solution for big enterprises Easy to manage Easy scalability Easy to Config

Best solution for big enterprises
    Easy to manage
    Easy scalability
    Easy to Config

Technical Architect at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MSP
    Great product with scalability as the central notion

Valuable Features:

+ Great cloud services platform + A natural extension to the virtualization layer

Room for Improvement:

+ Platform maturity and interoperability required

Valuable Features:

Room for Improvement:

+ Platform maturity and interoperability required