Veeam Agent for Linux Overview

Veeam Agent for Linux is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Backup tools. It is most often compared to Cohesity DataProtect: Veeam Agent for Linux vs Cohesity DataProtect

What is Veeam Agent for Linux?

Veeam Agent for Linux is a simple backup agent that’s designed to ensure the Availability of your Linux installations, both on‑premises and in the public cloud. Veeam Agent for Linux’s built‑in integration with Veeam Backup & Replication allows you to leverage your Veeam backup repositories and get your on‑premises backups off site.

Veeam Agent for Linux Buyer's Guide

Download the Veeam Agent for Linux Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2020

Veeam Agent for Linux Customers

ContinuitySA, Industrial Scientific

Veeam Agent for Linux Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Veeam Agent for Linux pricing:
  • "It's a subscription based license, which is started on a yearly basis. Currently the licensing is split between three editions: standard, enterprise, and enterprise plus. As long as you check the comparison between the additions and make sure that you have what you need, there are no extra costs with Veeam."
  • "Licensing costs are $300,000 USD yearly, and we pay for three years at a time."

Veeam Agent for Linux Reviews

reviewer1053252
Sr. Product Manager - Mcafee at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Sep 19, 2019
Has good instant VM recovery features and helps migrate physical to virtual or physical to cloud

What is our primary use case?

I'm a pre-sales engineer, so I'm basically supporting our partner. We're an IT distributor. There are many inquiries these days looking for backup solutions for Linux, so we made it for Linux. This tool already uses Linux, instead of a backup administrator needing manual workloads to backup the Linux machine. You can deploy this agent remotely, from a backup server. You just have to enable flash and pull and check the compatibility of Linux with big machines and you can remotely deploy it and start backing up in no time. Our backup is pretty plain and simple. We can back up the entire machine… more »

• "The really amazing feature about Veeam Agent is that when you're using the central deployment model, you can actually use the instant VM recovery feature, which is really a pain point that I find some days."
  • "It would be much better if more applications were supported on the Linux side. For example, their agent for Windows not only can back up the Windows machine, but it can also back up Active Directory for granular restore, SQL servers, Exchange, Oracle, SharePoint, etc. When it comes to Linux, only Oracle databases are supported. There are workarounds, though."

What other advice do I have?

Check the compatibility, in detail. Generally speaking, there are many distributions and kernel versions supported, but it's important to be very picky about the kernel and distribution version that they are running. First, to check the agent that's compatible with them or not. For example, the most known Linux distribution is Red Hat. There have been many releases of Red Hat, many of which are being used in production. Right now, there is a version from Red Hat 5 through Red Hat 8, which I think is the latest. At the moment, I think Veeam supports 6 to 7.5 and it had 8 which is a new release…
Joy Opiniano
IT Data Center Infrastructure Technical Team Lead at Dr. Sulaiman Al-Habib Medical Group
Jul 11, 2019
Straightforward initial setup, with valuable ASM backup capability

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our Linux backup.

• "The Veeam Backup and Replication Suite is very user-friendly."
  • "In new releases, I hope they can support Oracle cloud."

What other advice do I have?

In HMG Hospitals, for example, we have seven data centers here. We have a main and a DR. In our backup strategy, we start by backing up our main site, and then the DR, and then the other branches. We have Veeam backup and replication on all sites, but we are managing all of them from one single place. That is our backup strategy, and everything has been taken care of. We have a primary, we have a base of the domain, our secondary back up, and then our third copy backup will be on tape. You can implement the Veeam agent for Linux if you have the Veeam Availability Suite. Otherwise, you are just…
Learn what your peers think about Veeam Agent for Linux. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2020.
456,495 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1046832
ABP Food Group Infrastructure team lead at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aug 5, 2019
If someone deletes or corrupts a whole server, we can restore that serve through multiple sources

What is our primary use case?

We use the latest version of this solution that's on-prem. Our primary use case of this solution is to back up our system. It's our main backup.

• "The ease of use for the graphical interface and the ease of installation are the most valuable features of this solution."
  • "It could use deduplication features."

What other advice do I have?

If you have the money to buy this solution, you should because it makes life a lot easier. I would rate it an eight out of ten. Not a ten because sometimes the reporting is lacking. Sometimes you can get an error. Something will go wrong but you can't clearly see what.
Adriano-Simao
IT System Integrator at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Sep 16, 2019
An easy-to-manage solution that offers fast recovery and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for disaster recovery purposes. We replicate from one site to another from our environment.

• "The solution is very user-friendly and has an easy to use interface. We can manage it easily. It allows for a simple backup."
  • "In terms of the physical environment, I'd like them to integrate it with other kinds of solutions. We don't just work with Microsoft or Linux, but other kinds of infrastructure data as well."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model. I would advise others to go ahead and implement it. This is a good solution for disaster recovery. It's easy to implement and easy to operate. Veeam is a good solution for the second phase of a disaster which is basically recovering all of the environment. It's also very fast. I would rate the solution nine out of ten.
Fredrick-Massawe
System Administrator at Bakhresa Group of companies
Aug 14, 2019
A scalable backup solution with a straightforward setup and easy to manage and restore backup

What is our primary use case?

Agent is installed to our VMs virtualized with Oracle VM virtual machines and backup them to our NAS storage over the LAN. This is managed by VBR which was installed for our VMware VMs

• "The initial setup was straightforward. It's not complicated. It takes around half an hour to implement, but it depends on the performance of the server that you are installing the backup software on."
  • "It's scalable, but it's not scalable on every platform."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model. I would recommend that anyone who needs to run a backup platform should use this solution. I would rate the solution nine out of ten.
Alaa-Al-Qasem
IT Manager at The National Company for Electronic Payments
Aug 12, 2019
An excellent solution that's quick to install, easy to manage, and able to restore even single files

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used to backup data.

• "It's most compatible with VMware. It can restore single files instead of having to restore the whole machine, once again leading to savings for the company."
  • "Scalability, if you are talking about Linux, is good. However, if you need to backup more types of solutions or Unix systems, like HP/UX, AIX, etc., it's not compatible."

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the hybrid deployment model. The backup for Veeam is very fast, especially in comparison to EMC Network. Scalability, if you are talking about scaling on Linux, is good. However, if you need to backup more types of solutions or Unix systems, like HP/UX, AIX, etc., it's not compatible. In this case, EMC NetWorker is more compatible with different types of Unix operating systems. That's something a new user should keep in mind if they are considering implementing Veeam. I would rate the solution nine out of ten.
reviewer926436
Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Oct 4, 2019
Single file restore capability works well, but I would like to be able to install directly on Linux

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for backup and recovery.

• "The user interface is good."
  • "I would like to be able to install Veeam directly to Linux instead of having to go through a Windows server."

What other advice do I have?

I haven't explored all of what this solution has to offer as I have only been using it for four months, but so far it's good and I would recommend it. In the next release, I would like to see Veeam installed in Linux instead of Windows, that is the main concern for me. Some locations avoid using Veeam because of this, being installed on a Windows Server and not Linux. This would be a huge improvement. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
reviewer1119891
System Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Aug 15, 2020
Very good, simple to use, and fits the purpose

What is our primary use case?

We sell the latest version of Veeam Agent for Linux.

• "It's simple to use."
  • "There isn't much to improve. They just need to follow the trend or the development of other Linux products. Follow in terms of making the product compatible with new versions of Linux. They just need to include as many versions for Linux as possible."

What other advice do I have?

If you have a Linux environment and you need to protect it via an agent, that's when you have to use it. Otherwise, you just don't use it. You back up this little machine without initiation. It is very good, and it fits the purpose. That's a 10 out of 10.
See 4 more Veeam Agent for Linux Reviews
Download our free Veeam Agent for Linux Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.