Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows is the #9 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Backup tools. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows?

Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows is a simple backup agent that’s designed to ensure the Availability of your Windows‑based servers and workstations, both on‑premises and in the public cloud. The built‑in integration of Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows with Veeam Backup & Replication allows you to leverage your on‑premises Veeam backup repositories or your Cloud Connect provider to get your on‑premises backups off‑site.

Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Buyer's Guide

Download the Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2021

Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Customers

ContinuitySA, Landmark Information Group

Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows pricing:
  • "The licensing fees are billed on a yearly basis, and the fees are much lower than what I pay for NetBackup."
  • "The pricing model is based on CPU and must be declared as Microsoft or VMware licensing."
  • "The pricing is good."

MA
Technical Presales Consultant/ Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Flexible and stable with good technical support

What is our primary use case?

The solution is an agent. It can be used to back up almost from Windows Servers 2008 up to Service Pack 1, up until 2019. It integrates with Veeam Backup & Replication, which can enable you to restore to the cloud or back up a cloud workload as well. It clearly used to do image-based backups. The main reason Veeam came up with the Agent was that they were mainly focusing on virtual environments before and that was a major challenge for their existing customers. Not everyone is going with a fully virtual environment. Virtualization has many advantages, however, the virtual architecture design… more »

• "If you have windows machine at home and you'd like a backup, you can always download their free edition and plug in an external hard disk, and do a full backup of your laptop."
  • "Some customers have Oracle databases and Veeam does support back up of Oracle databases."

What other advice do I have?

We are a distributor, not a reseller. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's a great product. The only drawback is the support for the ASM disks and the support for legacy Windows operating systems. I'd recommend the solution to other companies. It's a straightforward solution. I am mostly a Linux guy, therefore, we're not as focused on Windows. In general, it's worked like a charm. It's helped me do backups and restores and it has never failed me in that perspective, except for the ASM disk issues.
RM
Senior Systems Support Analyst at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Easy to use, helpful notifications, and you have control over retry attempts when jobs fail

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam for backing up our entire infrastructure, which is running on a hyper-converged solution. We back up our Windows servers to disk and to tape.

• "The most valuable feature is the ease of use."
  • "If you are doing an AIX backup then you have to use the CLI because it doesn't appear on the console, the way that Windows and Linux jobs do."

What other advice do I have?

There are many advantages to using this product. That said, there is still a problem with AIX integration. The native AIX backup client is a really poorly designed system and is unusable. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Steve Lowrey
Information Technology Director at Fairview Schools
Affordable, extremely stable, and very good for recovery tasks

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for business continuity and backup and recovery.

• "The solution is very affordable for small businesses."
  • "I can't think of anything that may be missing."

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a Veeam customer and end-user. I don't have a business relationship with the company. I've got a Veeam agent for Linux and I've got a Veeam agent for Microsoft Windows. I've also got Veeam Cloud Connect and backup for Office 365. I'm using Veeam Backup Essentials for Enterprise. The two-socket edition is currently what I'm running on this site. I tend to do an on-prem backup and then I replicate to the cloud. I would advise other organizations to talk to your local rep to get full details on what the product can do for you. That way you can use it to its fullest capability. I'd rate…
Rudolf Kozdon
IT specialist - Monitoring and security at Operator ICT
A very user-friendly and intuitive solution that helps maintain stability

What is our primary use case?

We bought the Veeam Enterprise license for Linux and Microsoft backup for the virtual machines running on those operating systems. The reason we bought this software is that I have a lot of experience with Veeam software. When I compare Veeam with the storage manager from IBM or data protocol from HP or Exeter or some backups from Dell, Veeam is superior. I could buy these other products but Veeam is best because it is very user-friendly as well as being a very great solution. In addition to my personal experience and opinion, when we bought this software, our virtualization software only had… more »

• "Veeam helps to create a stable environment with virtual servers."
  • "The initial setup is very straightforward."
  • "Veeam is very user-friendly and intuitive software."
  • "The solution could use some updates to minor details omitted from current reporting."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Veeam on Microsoft Windows as a nine-out-of-ten. What I would expect in order to make this product a ten-of-ten is that they will add some details in reporting about the backup jobs. They need to just fill this little hole in the software by adding details in the reports that are not currently included and it is really giving me everything I need as a user. I would recommend Veeam to others who are looking into implementing it.
EC
IT Manager - Infrastructure at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to use, lightweight, and the pricing is good, but replication orchestration needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam for backing up our ESX servers. We back up all of our VMs on a daily basis and we replicate them off-site.

• "The Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows is easy to use and performing a recovery is easy to do."
  • "I would like to see the capability for remote installation of third party applications added( Like installing WinRar MS Office etc..) , and Firewall for servers."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Veeam is to do a proof of concept first, to make sure that it works in your environment. Overall, we are pretty happy with this product. Compared to what else is out there, it works well and it seems to have a lot of options. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Wira Chinwong
Service Director at scsi co.,ltd
Free to use, stable, and user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backup purposes.

• "The product is free to use. We don't have to pay for a license."
  • "If they could let you can do replication to physical servers - a backup from physical servers and a replication to physical servers - that will be better."

What other advice do I have?

We are both using the solution and implementing it for our customers. We are using the latest version of the solution at this time. I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. We've been very happy with it so far. I would definitely recommend the product to other users, companies, and organizations.
MH
System Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
A critical system either performs impeccably or it is a failure. This impeccable product is a success.

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers for Veeam Agent and more people are buying it for Microsoft Windows. They are buying Veeam Agent for Windows as a solution for allowing and maximizing the performance of Veeam for Windows and they are also buying Veeam as a product. These agents are very popular. We sell Veeam Agent to 50% of the Windows customers looking for a backup and recovery system and we sell other products to the other 50%.

• "This is a reliable system that supports Veeam backup and recovery for Windows."
  • "There really are no cons. The product simply has to maintain development to keep up with changes in the operating system."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate the Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows as either a zero or a ten. The product is either working or it is not working. When it is not working, it is not doing its job and it is a zero. All the other times when it is working, it is a ten. It is black or white. It is very simple to rate. It is a ten virtually all of the time because it is working.
SK
IT Consultant at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User interface provides a lot of information and has a replication feature that allows us to do the VR

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backups and VR.

• "The user interface is good. It provides a lot of information."
  • "The predictability of the solution needs improvement. Sometimes, if it's doing something at the back end, it may go slow. Today, the backup completion took four hours, but sometimes it can do the backup in 30 minutes or an hour. With solutions like NetBackup, I can predict to a much higher degree of certainty how long something will take to complete."

What other advice do I have?

Due to the unpredictable nature of how long a backup will take on the system, I can't really commit to Veeam. For an SMB, I might suggest Backup Exec as an alternative to Veeam. For an enterprise-level company, I would recommend NetBackup. I'd still recommend Veeam, but it would be based on specific customer requirements. I would rate the solution nine out of ten.
See 5 more Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Reviews
Download our free Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.