Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Backup tools. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows?

Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows is a simple backup agent that’s designed to ensure the Availability of your Windows‑based servers and workstations, both on‑premises and in the public cloud. The built‑in integration of Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows with Veeam Backup & Replication allows you to leverage your on‑premises Veeam backup repositories or your Cloud Connect provider to get your on‑premises backups off‑site.

Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Buyer's Guide

Download the Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Customers

ContinuitySA, Landmark Information Group

Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Video

Archived Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Reviews (more than two years old)

FL
IT Manager at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to work with, good technical support, and our backups are always successful

• "I love Veeam because it is very easy to work with."
  • "It is not always easy to update this solution to the newer version, so the update process needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for backing up the machines in our company. It is an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

I love Veeam because it is very easy to work with. Prior to using the Veeam agents, we had problems with our backups.

What needs improvement?

It is not always easy to update this solution to the newer version, so the update process needs to be improved. It can be a pain.

In the network discovery, we still have to use the agents for some machines.

I have been using this solution for more than five years.

With respect to stability, we have never had a problem with it.

We have had no problems with scalability. It is very easy.

I am responsible for the backups, and we are currently backing up about fifty machines.

Technical support for this solution is very good.

The initial setup of this solution was straightforward.

We purchased a three-year license, and I think that the prices are ok.

What other advice do I have?

This solution has got all of the functionality that I need in order to work with it. It is easy to create backups and it is always successful.

We still have to use the agents for some machines. This could be solved by not installing agents and having the network discovery done by the solution.

SK
IT Consultant at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User interface provides a lot of information and has a replication feature that allows us to do the VR

• "The user interface is good. It provides a lot of information."
  • "The predictability of the solution needs improvement. Sometimes, if it's doing something at the back end, it may go slow. Today, the backup completion took four hours, but sometimes it can do the backup in 30 minutes or an hour. With solutions like NetBackup, I can predict to a much higher degree of certainty how long something will take to complete."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backups and VR.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a replication feature that allows us to do the VR. It's very good.

The user interface is good. It provides a lot of information.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs continuous data protection; something that allows for continuity. If one site is failing, the other site can come up so everything keeps going. The data protection should be continuous rather than schedule-based.

The predictability of the solution needs improvement. Sometimes, if it's doing something at the back end, it may go slow. Today, the backup completion took four hours, but sometimes it can do the backup in 30 minutes or an hour. With solutions like NetBackup, I can predict to a much higher degree of certainty how long something will take to complete.

The user interface is good, but occasionally the change rate of the visible information is a bit slow and provides the wrong guidance. For example, the visible bandwidth might refresh only after five minutes, so sometimes you're looking at incorrect details because the refresh hasn't happened yet.

I've been using the solution for more than three years.

The stability of the solution is good. I would give it a rating of eight out of ten. I've seen some products, like NetBackup, that were a bit more reliable in terms of stability.

In terms of the solution's scalability, I haven't scaled it up to a hyper scaled solution yet, so I cannot really comment, but I would rate it nine out of ten.

I don't usually use technical support, so I don't have much experience with them.

The initial setup is complex.

I handled the implementation on my own. I'm an integrator.

What other advice do I have?

Due to the unpredictable nature of how long a backup will take on the system, I can't really commit to Veeam. For an SMB, I might suggest Backup Exec as an alternative to Veeam. For an enterprise-level company, I would recommend NetBackup. I'd still recommend Veeam, but it would be based on specific customer requirements.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Tommy Myo Min Aung
Senior System Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
A good all-round solution that is easily scalable, very stable, and free to use

• "Technical support is good. They're very responsive. It depends on the timezone responding, but I usually get a response within three hours of creating a ticket."
  • "I've found a lot of difficulties on the initial setup and especially in terms of credentials. We really need a Window OS. It doesn't like the domain admin account. it's a primary permission issue."

What is most valuable?

The solution generally, is very sound. It's also free. We use a community edition. It saves a lot of costs for us.

What needs improvement?

I've found a lot of difficulties on the initial setup and especially in terms of credentials. We really need a Window OS and local admin account. It doesn't like the domain admin account. it's a primary permission issue.

I've been using the solution for six months.

For the most part, the solution is very stable.

Scalability is good. We're in the process of scaling across our organization currently.

Technical support is good. They're very responsive. It depends on the timezone responding, but I usually get a response within three-four hours of creating a ticket.

The initial setup wasn't too complex. We just had issues around permissions. We're almost done the implementation.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

We're saving a lot of money on costs right now since we've implemented the solution and we're using the community version.

We did evaluate other solutions but nothing is comparable to Veeam Community Edition in terms of license and limitation of Sockets and the number of VMs to be backup.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

In terms of migration, it's a pretty good tool. It is pretty good at accepting data from legacy applications.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

GB
System Manager at Ergon
Good monitoring and management tools, protects our customers data, and has a good user interface

• "The interface of this solution is quite good."
  • "An area that this solution could be improved would be with the licensing."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used for our private clients and customers. It is used for data protection in a data center.

What is most valuable?

The interface of this solution is quite good.

We use all of the features that this solution offers to us. There is not one more specific than the other, so it is difficult to just select one feature as we are satisfied with all that is offered in this solution.

There is no trouble or lack of features within this solution, which is the reason we have chosen this solution to work with.

What needs improvement?

An area that this solution could be improved would be with the licensing.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

This solution is quite stable. If a process or a service fails it is not always an issue of the instability of the solution itself. You can have some trouble with the infrastructure that lies right below the product itself.

They release periodic updates that sometimes fix bugs or glitches.

With our latest licensing, we have had no problem with scalability.

I have had recent experience or contact with technical support and I have no complaints. They work well and reply within a short time.

Previously we used Nakivo, Veeam Backup and Replication, and Veeam Agent for Linux.

The deployment method is normally on-premises.

For the most part, the setup is straightforward, depending on the solution that we implement for the customer. The complexities would depend on the customization.

The deployment time varies depending on the difficulties after implementation. A day after the implementation you have to do some fine-tuning activities. The tuning activities depend on the project. Sometimes you can implement and leave it with the customer as it is, whereas at other times it requires more tuning activities. When that happens you can expect that it will take days.

There are costs in addition to the standard licensing fees, and pricing can be a disadvantage or a weakness for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

The monitoring of the management tools that you find embedded within the package that you buy, is quite enough. It's enough to manage a typical installation.

If you need anything else then you will add onto the package that you buy. Moving from a standard to an enterprise version, you will add more features.

We are partners and resellers of Veeam Software.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten. I would recommend it, it is practically perfect.

PM
Manager at Thaba Chweu
Instant recovery feature enables you to recover a virtual machine in less than a minute

• "A full-featured option for managing virtual machines with an instant recovery feature."
  • "Updating and configuration can sometimes be a little bit of a hassel, but once you know the product better it is easy to use."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for the product is mostly for backup and associated features.

How has it helped my organization?

We think it improves our options for providing solutions for our clients.

What is most valuable?

My favorite feature in this solution is instant recovery, where you can recover a virtual machine in less than a minute. It is no trouble at all and works very well.

It is very easy to fix stuff with it and we have no problems at all.

What needs improvement?

Generally, I think it is a good product and there is not so much to add. There are a few places where it can be improved. One place where the product can be improved is the update time. Updating sometimes gives us a problem by taking too long or causing other problems. It's not as straightforward as it should be.

I would like to have an app for connecting with my mobile and my laptop. It would be nice if I can just look at it with a mobile device from home and more than one way to connect so I would not have to always use one device.

We have been using the solution for about three years.

Veeam is very stable. We never have problems with stability.

It's not very scalable — or it should be easier to scale. You really have to get to know the product and to go into configuration details and research what each feature does. Once you have gotten used to it, it's very easy to use, but it is not so easy at first.

We did have a reason to call the tech support line once and they really helped us out. They did not waste time getting around to helping us and delivered a solution quickly. A fast turn-around from support is important. So, considering that experience, I am completely satisfied with the product's technical support.

We are encouraging clients to switch to Veeam because it is better than several other products we have recommended in the past. We mostly used to use Veritas Backup Exec. We think that Veeam is a better solution.

We found the initial setup to be pretty complex. I think it took us about a month to get the whole thing configured right in the initial installations.

We are consultants so generally, we do the implementations for ourselves and clients.

Because we buy licenses for a longer-term — in our case we have chosen to go with three years — that gives us a discount and it's not so expensive. The longer the term for your subscriptions the more discount you get per year. I think you can go anywhere from one to five years.

When we chose to move to Veeam we were really just comparing it to our previous solution which was Veritas Backup.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would you rate Veeam an eight. To me, this means that I would recommend it to all of our clients and we are in the process of taking most of our clients onto Veeam. It is a really, really good product, but it is not perfect. But we are recommending now to many of our clients that they move to Veeam when it is an appropriate time to change their licenses.

So far, Veeam is handling all the virtual machines for one client and another client is picking up twenty licenses. We have convinced them that it is a good product.

IT Professional at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has good stability but the program can be more user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use this program for web applications.

What is most valuable?

I like working on the Azure platform.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a more user-friendly installation process and better technical support.  The troubleshooting for Windows needs to improve.

I have been using the solution for 30 years as IT specialist.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability is not very good - especially when I want to backup Microsoft Windows.

I am not very impressed by the technical support I received when I had an issue.

How was the

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use this program for web applications.

What is most valuable?

I like working on the Azure platform.

What needs improvement?

The troubleshooting for Windows needs to improve.

I have been using the solution for 30 years as IT specialist.

The solution is very stable.

The initial setup was really straightforward and we did it ourselves. The installation, however, was very difficult and troublesome.

What other advice do I have?

I will recommend this program to others, and I rate this product an eight out of ten. Not a ten because of the bad technical support and difficult installing process.

Lobna Alkomy
Backup & Recovery Section Head at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use and works well with virtual environments, but the VSS has problems with Hyper-V

• "Application awareness is very good and the speed of this solution is good."
  • "The stability of this solution needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I am a senior backup and recovery administrator and I am concentrating on these solutions.

This solution was deployed in a private cloud environment. We have switched to Commvault from this solution due to problems arising from its use with Hyper-V.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very compatible with the virtual environment.

Application awareness is very good and the speed of this solution is good.

We can power on the virtual machine from the backup site, without having to move it to the main site.

This solution provides the best storage value.

The interface is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

This solution has many issues with the VSS (Volume Snapshot Service) when working with the Hyper-V solution. They are related to networking and a need to restart the host.

The stability of this solution needs to be improved.

We used it with windows server 2012 R2 and we faced many problems related to the VSS service, the backup failed due to some issues with the VSS service and the solution was to restart not the service but the host totally to back again in full function. it was very bad situation especially we are talking about Hyper-V host with many production machines.

Honestly, i ca't be sure that the reason in veeam, may be in the window.

I have been using this solution for approximately four years.

This solution is not as stable as some others that I have used, such as Commvault and Veritas NetBackup.

This is a scalable solution.

Technical support for this solution is very good. They care about the customers and their needs.

I have worked with many backup solutions over the years, including:

The problems that we were experiencing using this solution led us to switch to Commvault. We spent some time researching the best solutions for the Nutanix environment, and we concluded that Commvault was the best choice.

I am aware that a new version of Veeam has since been released, but we needed a backup solution for Hyper-V and Nutanix

The initial setup of this solution is easy for a technical person.

What other advice do I have?

If you are using a virtual environment, are concerned with application awareness, and want a solution that is easy to use and administrate, then I recommend using this product.

In general, it depends on the environment.

TM
    Web developer at a energy/utilities company with self employed
    An efficient, reliable solution with a straightforward setup

• "The initial setup was straightforward. It was very easy. Deployment only took about one hour with configuration and everything considered."
    • "Maybe in the future, they could do something better with the user interface and the performance, but so far it's a really good, efficient solution."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backup and restore purposes.

What is most valuable?

So far, I've found the solution to be easy to use. It's fast and reliable as well. I can access whatever I need on very short notice.

Also, with Veeam I don't need to install Agent on every machine, unlike Veritas, one of its competitors. This makes it a more efficient solution.

What needs improvement?

So far, the solution has been working very well for us.

I'm new to the solution. I haven't been using it for very long.

The solution is still new to us, but so far I haven't faced any stability issues.

Technical support has been good. I haven't needed them so far, but they did ask if I wanted help with the implementation and the deployment. I didn't need anything, but they were very friendly.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the solution for different types of software, including Windows, Linux, SQL databases, etc. We use the on-premises deployment model. We have five or six administrators using the model currently.

I would rate this solution ten out of ten. I'd recommend it to others.

AM
    CEO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    Quick and simple for our customers to install, deploy, and use

• "This is a good product with a simple environment."
    • "I would like to have a more automated installation process."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we supply backup solutions to our clients. This solution is used for backing up Windows Servers. We do not use it in-house.

We are using an on-premises deployment model.

What is most valuable?

I have found that this solution has many good points.

What needs improvement?

The problems with this solution are generally tied to the Windows environment.

I would like to have a more automated installation process.

We have been using this solution for about seven years.

We have no complaints about the stability of this solution.

We only work in a small environment, so scalability is not something that we have had to address.

I have never needed to contact technical support.

Veritas was the leader in the market perhaps ten years ago. But since that time, many other companies like Veeam have come to the front. Veeam is a really good software application, whereas Veritas is a very complex product.

The initial setup of this solution is simple and it is very quick to deploy.

We use and evaluate many different backup and recovery solutions.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product with a simple environment.

David Dotan Sofer
    CTO at SoferTech
    A flexible backup solution for our VR infrastructure

• "The most valuable features are the flexibility and stability of the product."
    • "I would like to have more flexibility in terms of reporting details about the backup."

What is our primary use case?

I use the Veeam backup solution for our VR infrastructure.

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the flexibility and stability of the product.

The technical support is also very good.

What needs improvement?

If I'm trying to locate an item to restore from one of the backups, I would appreciate the ability to perform a global search on the catalog. This includes all backups from the entire infrastructure.

I would like to have more flexibility in terms of reporting details about the backup. Specifically, I would like to get it from the whole infrastructure, instead of each one of the jobs.

I have been using this solution for about eight years.

We use this solution on a daily basis.

For our needs, this solution is very scalable. We have approximately four hundred users.

I am very satisfied with the technical support and availability.

The initial setup of this solution is very straightforward. The deployment took a few hours.

Our licensing fees are on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.