Veeam Backup for Office 365 Overview

Veeam Backup for Office 365 is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Backup tools. It is most often compared to AvePoint Cloud Backup: Veeam Backup for Office 365 vs AvePoint Cloud Backup

What is Veeam Backup for Office 365?

Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 allows you to mitigate the risk of losing access to email data and helps to ensure data Availability to Office 365 users. This helps organizations comply with the policies, requirements and regulations due to long‑term archival, fully functional search and granular restore capabilities. Since it is integrated with Veeam Backup & Replication, the solution can be used to back up hybrid cloud environments and migrate mailbox data between Exchange Online and on‑premises Exchange organizations.

Veeam Backup for Office 365 is also known as Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365.

Veeam Backup for Office 365 Buyer's Guide

Download the Veeam Backup for Office 365 Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2020

Veeam Backup for Office 365 Customers

Columbia Power & Water Systems

Veeam Backup for Office 365 Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Veeam Backup for Office 365 pricing:
  • "The pricing model makes this solution more expensive than it needs to be."
  • "This is not a stand-alone product and requires a standard Veeam license for your organization in addition to the cost of the solution."
  • "The pricing is middle-of-the-road compared with competing products."
  • "We decided on Altaro because, from the point of view of the total cost, Altaro looks cheaper than Veeam. Veeam has a lot of costs that are not clear when you start it, which makes it less flexible than Altaro, but only after half a year, you can be really sure that you made a good decision."

Veeam Backup for Office 365 Reviews

reviewer1053252
Sr. Product Manager - Mcafee at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Sep 16, 2019
Easy to back up company emails to the cloud and offers an easy ability to restore to the cloud

What is our primary use case?

We've been using Veeam Backup for about a year. We get a lot of inquiries, whether it be from our partners or from end-users, who would like to backup their Office 365. They inquire about how to do so and the prerequisites, what exactly is required. Generally speaking, their concern is about how much storage is needed for the backup. Every company has a different backup policy, different RPOs, and different pre-pension policies. We help them determine how much storage they are going to need. That's basically it. That's how we deal with it.

• "Veeam makes modular solutions, so you can install Veeam Backup for Office 365 and Veeam Backup and Replication in one single server. You can do an all in one installation, and roll it out."
  • "The capacity storage is a challenge everywhere in the backup industry. The general feedback people are coming back to about this is that there is no deduplication based on it."

What other advice do I have?

Honestly speaking, lots of people just look at it from a business point of view. They say, "I just have a business need. I just want to backup my Office 365 data." But they don't take much concern into what that also requires. Generally speaking, from a backup point of view, the biggest concern is what percentage of data you'd like to backup and the capacity of this data. Also consider what the recovery point objectives are, meaning how frequently do you want to do backups. What kind of retention policy are you trying to achieve? The shorter the retention policy, the smaller the storage…
Kevin Heron
Technical Operations Manager at Ocient, Inc.
Aug 10, 2020
This product takes care of hole in backing up Microsoft's flagship product, but the pricing model is bad

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam because — while Microsoft provides a terrific environment called Office 365 — they do not back up files that are stored there. The files most customers are concerned about are OneDrive and SharePoint files, but they often overlook their mailboxes and the Exchange piece of Office 365. It is the customer's responsibility to actually back that data up, which Microsoft does not do a good job in sharing with you. We had moved all of our file server shares to OneDrive and SharePoint, and we were just over a terabyte of data. To make sure they were being backed up properly, I implemented… more »

• "This covers the areas of backing up Office 365 that Microsoft does not include in its standard routine."
  • "The product is easy-to-use."
  • "The pricing model is unnecessarily confusing and could be simplified."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Veeam Backup for Office 365 as a seven or eight. Choosing between the two, I give it a seven. I have to ding them a little bit because of the licensing. I am really not thrilled with that.
Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup for Office 365. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2020.
456,495 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Computescience67
Computer Scientist at a tech services company
Sep 9, 2019
Reliable solution for backing up Office 365 email

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution in our company is for backing up emails.

• "This is an easy-to-install easy-to-use solution for backing up Office 365 email."
  • "While there really is nothing wrong with the product some small improvements in the interface could make it even easier to use."

What other advice do I have?

Other people who are considering this solution will probably be good to go with it if it solves what they want it to do. Even without improvement, the program is really simple to use. I think sometimes it takes a long time to learn new programs and it really shouldn't be necessary when you are doing a simple thing. People who are in doubt should just try it to compare with other solutions because it is really good. They will find out quickly how it compares. At the moment I think we have all we need for backing up our Office 365 emails reliably, we have a solid solution with this product so I…
Engeline Snijders
Teamlead Enterprise Content Management at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 17, 2021
A stable solution that runs very fast and has the ability to restore at the item level

What is our primary use case?

We have Veeam in place for Office 365 backup and restore. We use it for mail backup and restore, SharePoint, and Teams. We were still struggling with the backup of OneDrive, which is still a discussion. We are using its latest version.

• "Its ability to restore at the item level is very valuable. It is very strong at that. In the past, we had to restore a lot of data only for a couple of items. We can now restore an item as well as an email, which is good for productivity."
  • "When you add a new site for backup, it gives you a notice that there is a new site, but the way you select that and configure that could be slightly better. It works, but it is not always very clear. For example, for the URL, you need to hover over the title or the name of the site. You should see it immediately on the screen. It should have a better user interface for selecting what you want to back up so that you get a more clear overview of the sites that are there and the ones that you want to combine in a backup. Its user interface should be more user-friendly. It has a lot of scrolling and doesn't give you a complete overview when needed. That's the main thing why it is not very user-friendly. It should have a better user interface."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Veeam Backup for Office 365 an eight out of ten.
Gervasio Alferes Caetano
Science Technician at Assembleia da Republica
Aug 16, 2020
Good interface and great support but needs a simpler initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam to make backups in our system, including backups for Office 365 and other applications.

• "The support offered by both Veeam and our third party supplier is excellent."
  • "The solution could offer better reporting."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Veeam. We use the latest version of the solution. We try to consistently keep it up to date. I'd recommend the solution. It's worked well for us. I'd rate the solution overall at a seven out of ten. It's easy to use, however, the initial setup could be simpler. Still, for us, we don't have too many complaints about the product overall.
Nitin Gunnoo
Senior Support Engineer at Rogers Capital Technology Services
Aug 15, 2019
A simple solution that's easy to implement and scale

What is our primary use case?

The solution is mainly used for production. If they lose connectivity to the cloud, they will have a backup on hand.

• "I believe the solution is very scalable. We can continuously add mailboxes and sites."
  • "You can't really edit. For example, if you have created a backup for a user, you can't drill down on a granular level during the backup. You have to back up the mailbox completely. That's it. It would be helpful if you could at least go inside the mailboxes to choose what you want."

What other advice do I have?

We are a consultancy and we also handle implementation and support. We use an on-premises deployment model. For those considering implementing the solution, I would say to just go for it. We really like it. We are a Veeam consumer, so we use Veeam for our data center backup ourselves and offer it to our clients as well. I would rate the solution nine out of ten.
reviewer861231
Senior Solutions Specialist at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Oct 13, 2020
Good stability with good technical support and fair pricing

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to backup our Office 365.

• "The product offers good stability."
  • "It's hard to predict the usage on the storage. I need to make some estimates for customers in terms of how much storage will be needed on the cloud, and this is always tricky. It would be helpful if they could help us estimate storage or simplify the estimation portion."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not a user. I'm a solution provider. We'd recommend the solution to other organizations. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at an eight.
Jóhann G. Thorarensen
IT Manager at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
Oct 26, 2020
A stable product that integrates well with Microsoft Teams

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is the backup of our education-related files and data.

• "The most valuable feature is the integration with our Teams environment."
  • "Some additional training materials would be helpful."

What other advice do I have?

For the past six months, Microsoft Teams has been of the biggest importance for us, both in terms of teaching and meetings. Our meetings include both in-house and outside. Office 365 is one of the things that is connected to that, and our files need to be backed up regularly. This is definitely a product that I can recommend. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
See 10 more Veeam Backup for Office 365 Reviews
Product Categories
Cloud Backup
Download our free Veeam Backup for Office 365 Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.