Veeam Backup for Office 365 OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Veeam Backup for Office 365 is #9 ranked solution in top Cloud Backup tools. IT Central Station users give Veeam Backup for Office 365 an average rating of 8 out of 10. Veeam Backup for Office 365 is most commonly compared to AvePoint Cloud Backup:Veeam Backup for Office 365 vs AvePoint Cloud Backup. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is Veeam Backup for Office 365?

Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 allows you to mitigate the risk of losing access to email data and helps to ensure data Availability to Office 365 users. This helps organizations comply with the policies, requirements and regulations due to long‑term archival, fully functional search and granular restore capabilities. Since it is integrated with Veeam Backup & Replication, the solution can be used to back up hybrid cloud environments and migrate mailbox data between Exchange Online and on‑premises Exchange organizations.

Veeam Backup for Office 365 was previously known as Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365.

Veeam Backup for Office 365 Buyer's Guide

Download the Veeam Backup for Office 365 Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Veeam Backup for Office 365 Customers

Columbia Power & Water Systems

Veeam Backup for Office 365 Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Veeam Backup for Office 365 pricing:
  • "The pricing model makes this solution more expensive than it needs to be."
  • "This is not a stand-alone product and requires a standard Veeam license for your organization in addition to the cost of the solution."
  • "We decided on Altaro because, from the point of view of the total cost, Altaro looks cheaper than Veeam. Veeam has a lot of costs that are not clear when you start it, which makes it less flexible than Altaro, but only after half a year, you can be really sure that you made a good decision."
  • "Its price is a little bit high, but it is a fantastic solution. It is more expensive than NetApp."
  • "It is strictly subscribed on a per-user basis."

Veeam Backup for Office 365 Reviews

Kevin Heron
Technical Operations Manager at Ocient, Inc.
This product takes care of hole in backing up Microsoft's flagship product, but the pricing model is bad

• "This covers the areas of backing up Office 365 that Microsoft does not include in its standard routine."
  • "The product is easy-to-use."
  • "The pricing model is unnecessarily confusing and could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam because — while Microsoft provides a terrific environment called Office 365 — they do not back up files that are stored there. The files most customers are concerned about are OneDrive and SharePoint files, but they often overlook their mailboxes and the Exchange piece of Office 365. It is the customer's responsibility to actually back that data up, which Microsoft does not do a good job in sharing with you. We had moved all of our file server shares to OneDrive and SharePoint, and we were just over a terabyte of data. To make sure they were being backed up properly, I implemented Veeam Office 365 Backup.

How has it helped my organization?

It has given us some peace of mind when it comes to backing up Office 365 files that Microsoft does not include in the 365 backup structure.

What is most valuable?

What I like in this particular module within Veeam is that it allows you to restore mailboxes selectively. Instead of having to restore all the mailboxes that you have backed up, you can be more targeted. Let's say you had a request from the vice president to get their entire mailbox restored. They are typically the guys who blow up their mailboxes. I could restore just their mailbox from the backup and no one else's. But it gets even more granular as I can also restore individual folders inside their mailbox. It gives you a lot of flexibility in terms of what you are able to restore.

In SharePoint and OneDrive, you are able to restore down to the file level, which is really handy. It gives you a lot of restore options. Their GUI is just stupid easy to use. You basically go in, you browse the different modules — whether it is Exchange or SharePoint or OneDrive as the parent — you click on your tenant name, then you go to exchange the mailboxes, and then you go under the individual user that you want to restore. That could be the whole mailbox, or a folder, or whatever. It just takes a couple of clicks and it is done. It just works.

What needs improvement?

One of the things that should probably be improved is the pricing model. The price is based on a per-user charge. I wish that was not the case because it is not really in use by most of the users. It is not all that often that people need something restored. I do not know how they would change it exactly, but it just does not seem appropriate. If they can change their pricing model, that is only going to help to get more people to adopt it. They could make it more affordable.

A better pricing model would just make sense and be better for some companies. We do not have an issue, thank goodness. But some companies might be a little bit strapped for cash. As a solution that completes their backup regimen, it is a requirement whether they know it or not. You hate to see the pricing make the decision and exclude people from something that they essentially need. If they could make it more affordable, that would be better for everybody.

As far as adding features, unless Office changes, they do not need to change their feature set. It is already feature-rich. It has a really nice GUI and it is very easy to manage once you get logged in. So no, right now I would not change anything. Change is not always a good thing.

I have been using Veeam backup for a couple of years.

The stability of the system is awesome. It all depends on what the underlying operating system is. If you are running a Windows Server, that is your biggest worry. But if you are doing all of this in Linux, then it is solid.

The application itself is solid. You do not have to upgrade memory. You do not have to do anything like that. It is very solid. Assuming your underlying OS is running well — even if it is Windows — and you have got the current version, that is great. The product itself is very stable. I think Veeam goes a long way to validate and test this product before they send it out to the market. I find it to be very good and reliable.

As to scalability, right now, if you wanted to expand usage because you have more users, you have to buy more licenses. There is really no limit. The only limit is your wallet. That is also why I like the idea of a different licensing model: so I do not have to constantly consider the number of licenses. That cost depends on how many people you are going to onboard just makes it cumbersome. You could pay upfront each year, and try to figure out how many licenses we are going to need, but that is just a guess. We do that and I have never taken licenses back, so I do not know how good Veeam would be with that type of request. But that is another reason why a different licensing model makes sense: it would allow me to scale a little bit easier. You change the number of users in an organization far more frequently than you change the number of cores.

Currently, in our organization, I would say there are about 50 or 60 users on Veeam Office 365 Backup. I would call that relatively small. Veeam has lots of other companies as customers that are way larger. There are integrators out there that include this stuff in modeling for companies big and small. I'm pretty confident that it scales easily even for large organizations.

We do not have anybody on staff to deploy and maintain the system. It is just another part of the architecture and one of the many hats that we all wear. After the set up is done, it is just a part of the monitoring checklist. You come in and get yourself all squared away. You check the backups — what completed, and what did not — then you check these backups to be sure everything backed up successfully. If it did, that is great. If not, you have to find out why. We have internal policies behind how we address failed backups. So there are a certain number of retries that we do before it leads to having to really research a failure as an issue.

I have used the tech support for the product. They are all very good. They have a great website and there are a lot of self-help documents. That is typically what they point you to when you need assistance. But all you have to say is that you are not really so technical and you need a walk-through — even if it is stretching the truth a little bit — and they will help you out. Somebody doing the installation could download the right document, but even then they will walk you through it. It is quick and hardly takes them any time anyway.

Of the other software that I used prior to Veeam for backup or recovery solutions, probably the most relevant is NetBackup from Veritas. We used the Veritas NetBackup Appliance. Veeam for Office 365 is more targeted.

The setup for the product was straight forward. The actual deployment of the product was very quick. I would say it was inside of 20 minutes. After the installation, it has to go out and discover all the mailboxes and folders and stuff, and that can take a couple of hours. So I would say the amount of time it took in total was probably two or three hours. The actual keyboard time, was about 20 minutes. It depends a bit on how big the environment is. If you have a huge environment then it will take more than two hours to do all the discovery.

We did the implementation all by ourselves. We did not need anything like an integrator or tech support or help from the vendor.

I think the pricing model is wrong. Veeam itself is licensed according to the number of cores you have on your system. Maybe in pricing the backup solution they could just match that same model. So instead of having the Veeam license — which you have to have in order to use the Office 365 backup — and tacking on a per-user charge, they could base the cost on the CPU cores instead. Just tell clients that if they want the additional Office 365 Backup option it increases the cost by whatever amount pr billing period. It simplifies billing and cost tracking. Anything they could do to lower the actual cost of using the product would be good.

But in the end, right now, the Office 365 Backup component is licensed separately per user. It works in conjunction with the basic Veeam license so you need that too, but it is a separate tool in terms of licensing. You can not get it independently.

Before choosing this product, we did not actually evaluate any competition, which is not the usual due diligence. Veeam does not really have competition in the Office 365 Backup space. That really made the decision a slam dunk for me. It was the one product that solved the issue and it works.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Veeam Backup for Office 365 as a seven or eight. Choosing between the two, I give it a seven. I have to ding them a little bit because of the licensing. I am really not thrilled with that.

Engeline Snijders
Teamlead Enterprise Content Management at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
A stable solution that runs very fast and has the ability to restore at the item level

• "Its ability to restore at the item level is very valuable. It is very strong at that. In the past, we had to restore a lot of data only for a couple of items. We can now restore an item as well as an email, which is good for productivity."
  • "When you add a new site for backup, it gives you a notice that there is a new site, but the way you select that and configure that could be slightly better. It works, but it is not always very clear. For example, for the URL, you need to hover over the title or the name of the site. You should see it immediately on the screen. It should have a better user interface for selecting what you want to back up so that you get a more clear overview of the sites that are there and the ones that you want to combine in a backup. Its user interface should be more user-friendly. It has a lot of scrolling and doesn't give you a complete overview when needed. That's the main thing why it is not very user-friendly. It should have a better user interface."

What is our primary use case?

We have Veeam in place for Office 365 backup and restore. We use it for mail backup and restore, SharePoint, and Teams. We were still struggling with the backup of OneDrive, which is still a discussion. We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

Its ability to restore at the item level is very valuable. It is very strong at that. In the past, we had to restore a lot of data only for a couple of items. We can now restore an item as well as an email, which is good for productivity.

What needs improvement?

When you add a new site for backup, it gives you a notice that there is a new site, but the way you select that and configure that could be slightly better. It works, but it is not always very clear. For example, for the URL, you need to hover over the title or the name of the site. You should see it immediately on the screen. It should have a better user interface for selecting what you want to back up so that you get a more clear overview of the sites that are there and the ones that you want to combine in a backup.

Its user interface should be more user-friendly. It has a lot of scrolling and doesn't give you a complete overview when needed. That's the main thing why it is not very user-friendly. It should have a better user interface.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It has been running for two years, and it has been stable. We only had an issue this week with connectivity with AD, but that's normal.

We didn't try the scalability. We made an agreement in the beginning with a view to the end. We paid more than what was necessary. We ran it for so many users for so many years, and our manager at that point thought that it was a good offer. We have a license for 750 users, but we have approximately 550 users currently. We aren't using all subscriptions, so in the end, we may have paid more, but I should see other offers as well.

Everything went fairly smoothly from a technical point of view and from a point of view of implementation and other things.

Veeam was the first cloud backup we used, but we have several other systems in place. We have EMC's backup and recovery solution. We are now in the middle of a global Office 365 project, and we decided to use Altaro for backup and restore there. We decided on Altaro because, from the point of view of the total cost, Altaro looks cheaper than Veeam, but we can really tell that after half a year or so. In terms of features, they are very similar.

We don't have any experience with Altaro. They provided us a proposal for two years, which we found to be too long because we don't have any experience with it. We first want to be convinced that Altaro is a better option than Veeam. Therefore, we decided this week that we go for an agreement for one year to get experience, and, when we have a good feeling down the road, we will go for a commitment for a longer time.

The initial setup was straightforward. It runs very fast.

We had some support from a supplier.

We decided on Altaro because, from the point of view of the total cost, Altaro looks cheaper than Veeam. Veeam has a lot of costs that are not clear when you start it, which makes it less flexible than Altaro, but only after half a year, you can be really sure that you made a good decision.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Veeam Backup for Office 365 an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup for Office 365. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Anthony Njoroge
Product Manager - Netapp at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
A complete, mature, and intuitive solution that works well with various cloud providers and on-premise storage

• "We are able to store it on various cloud providers such as Amazon S3, Rocket, Azure, and IBM Cloud. It can also do on-premise integration, and we are able to use storage from on-premise. We are also able to recover data. It is a really good and intuitive solution. Veeam has developed a fantastic product. I've never seen anything that I don't like about Veeam. It looks like a very complete solution. It is really mature, simple to use, and quite interrogative. It also has APIs for writing scripts."
  • "Its price could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is the backup of 365 objects and emails. At the moment, you are just testing Veeam. We are using it for production, and we are running a few productions on APIs.

What is most valuable?

We are able to store it on various cloud providers such as Amazon S3, Rocket, Azure, and IBM Cloud. It can also do on-premise integration, and we are able to use storage from on-premise. We are also able to recover data.

It is a really good and intuitive solution. Veeam has developed a fantastic product. I've never seen anything that I don't like about Veeam. It looks like a very complete solution. It is really mature, simple to use, and quite interrogative. It also has APIs for writing scripts.

What needs improvement?

Its price could be improved.

I have been using this solution for a year or two.

It is stable.

It is scalable. We currently have about a hundred users. We are currently testing it, and we are looking at expanding to almost 2,000 users.

I have contacted them, and they are good.

It is straightforward.

Currently, we have four engineers for its deployment and maintenance. We have the same number of engineers for NetApp.

Its price is a little bit high, but it is a fantastic solution. It is more expensive than NetApp.

We are already using NetApp, and we are currently testing Veeam to see which one has a much better use case. They are more or less neck-to-neck in terms of features and the simplicity of connecting to Office 365.

Veeam has, of course, a little bit more features than NetApp. I see a lot more options in terms of where to store your backup, but, in terms of features, they're both good products. From the price point, Veeam does seem to be a bit higher than NetApp.

I really like the fact Veeam has integrated into a single pane of glass. That's one thing that NetApp should do in the future. Instead of running it as a standalone backup solution for 365, Veeam has got it right in terms of simplicity and putting everything in a single glass for access purposes.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend both Veeam and NetApp. Both of them have got it right. The only difference I see is in the management. For Office 365, we have to go into our web console which is directly integrated on the cloud, which is good because it gives that differentiation. At the same time, if you're an administrator and you're managing backups, you should have the simplicity of having everything in a single pane of glass.

I would recommend using the Veeam console to someone who is doing Veeam on-premise or cloud backup. It gives you the simplicity of having everything in a single pane of glass. I like NetApp, but I would've liked its integration into the Netcenter. That would really raise the game for them in terms of giving a full position in a single pane of glass. However, if there are people who are using other backup solutions and they just want to purchase Office 365, NetApp is also a good product. I would recommend both to anyone, and let them feel for themselves, regardless of price, how they scale, what features they want, and how they want to store their backups.

I would rate Veeam Backup for Office 365 a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
MA
Technical Presales Consultant/ Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Easy and quick to install, with responsive technical support

• "Technical support in Veeam is good."
  • "They don't have native integration with deduplication of storage."

What is our primary use case?

We are distributors for Veeam.

The use case for this solution is for backup.

The challenging part is that people don't understand the importance of having a backup of Office 365. They think that their data is on the cloud and it's safe. They don't feel the need to back it up. Once they learn about the Microsoft shared responsibility model, they find out that Microsoft is not responsible for the data.

If, for example, an employee deletes his emails because he is angry with the management and leaves the company, the company will need a backup to restore at some point.

There are various reasons for backing up Office 356. There could be a cyberattack, and there are compliance requirements.

Even if Microsoft will protect their data, they will still need a copy of it, and the software will help with that.

Some people have a hybrid setup and will not only have Office 365, but they will be using a mix of Exchange on-premises and Office 365 that they need a backup of.

The most important part is to have your data accessible and restorable at any point.

What needs improvement?

The support for deduplication appliances is an area to consider for improvement.

They don't have native integration with deduplication of storage.

Also, they said that they were going to release a feature, with the ability to backup copies, having another copy of a backup is very much needed, rather than just one copy.

This feature is known in Veeam in their on-premises solutions but is not included in Office 365.

I am an expert in Veeam Backup for Office 365.

I have been dealing with Veeam as a company for five years, and Veeam Backup for Office 365 as a product for three years.

I am not able to tell you how many customers we have because we are in the distribution business, and there are many.

We mainly support an ecosystem of partners of no less than a thousand partners, who also sell this product to many customers. Veeam is the fastest, growing vendor in the backup industry, and it is difficult to keep track of how many customers are using the product.

Technical support in Veeam is good. It usually doesn't fail you. If you face any issues, the response times are good and the engineers' quality is also good. Most of the time.

Veeam Backup for Office 365 is a Windows software application, and you can install it on-premises or you can install it on the cloud.

As long as you have a Windows Server, the installation is really easy.

The download, installation, and configuration will not take more than 20 minutes.

It is strictly subscribed on a per-user basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. If you have Office 365 you should have a backup. Veeam will help you to do that.

I would rate Veeam Backup for Office 365 an eight out of ten.

YS
Lead Presales at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to install and configure with a good management console

• "The installation process is very easy."
  • "While I don't have a use case in mind, it would be great if they could integrate more automation capabilities into the solution."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily install the solution for our clients.

The solution is used for backup purposes, specifically for Office 365. By default, depending on how it is configured, it will back up every eight to ten days. Beyond that, if you need specific mail recovery or complete mail recovery, you can do that as well.

What is most valuable?

Overall, it's a very good product.

The configuration is easy.

The installation process is very easy.

I have found the solution to be very stable.

They offer a very good management console. With the dashboard, you can understand exactly what is going on in your infrastructure in relation to backup and recovery aspects.

What needs improvement?

While I don't have a use case in mind, it would be great if they could integrate more automation capabilities into the solution.

Integration with other products could be improved.

The solution is stable. There were previous issues, however, now the issues are sorted out. Now we can take the file backups, and NAS backups specifically. While streamlining or fine-tuning is still required, they're working on that.

Its performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

We have installed the solution for three or four customers.

I've dealt with Veeam support in the past, not necessarily for this product. However, it's my understanding that the support would be the same for Veeam across all products and I don't have any complaints with their level of responsiveness or helpfulness. That said, they could always improve their level of service.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. You have to install the console and everything is there. It is just a console installation. There are only three or four clicks and you are done. However, everything goes on the cloud. That is how we have configured.

It is not a huge task to configure O365. If you know how to do that particular thing, it's hardly a half-day's worth of work. In one instance, we had three, One storage and NetApp storage devices and 50 mailboxes, and two or three servers. That was the infrastructure. The deployment for that took half a day.

I can handle the deployment and maintenance aspects of the solution on my own. You only need one person.

As integrators, we help our clients install the solution.

The solution is subscription only. That said, you have to procure the licenses separately. So O365 licenses are separate and Veeam licenses are separate.

What other advice do I have?

If someone has O365 or any other mail solutions, they should definitely go for Veeam.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I've been pretty happy with its capabilities. I'd recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

GC
Science Technician at a government with 201-500 employees
Good interface and great support but needs a simpler initial setup

• "The support offered by both Veeam and our third party supplier is excellent."
  • "The solution could offer better reporting."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam to make backups in our system, including backups for Office 365 and other applications.

What is most valuable?

The time it takes to make a backup is very good. It's the most valuable aspect of the solution. It really doesn't take a long time. It's very efficient.

The interface on the solution is very good.

The support offered by both Veeam and our third party supplier is excellent.

The solution is very easy to use. It's not complicated at all.

I can add the backup to my virtual machine with Veeam integrators and it's good.

Generally, it's easy to integrate Veem to other products.

What needs improvement?

It would help if the initial setup was easier. It's a bit complex. When the next upgrade to the solution happens, they should work to adjust this.

The solution could offer better reporting.

We've been using the solution for two years at this point.

My impression of the stability of the solution is positive. We've been satisfied with is. We find the product to be reliable and haven't experienced bugs or glitches and don't find that it unexpectedly crashes.

The scalability is good. We have no complaints. If a company needs to expand outward, it can do so easily.

We do plan to increase the usage of the solution. As it is, we do use it every day.

We have a third party that offers us support, and we've found them to be very good. Veeam also offers support, so if we ever need assistance we're well covered. We're covered seven days a week, so we can always get assistance no matter the day. We've been satisfied with the level of support we've received.

I didn't previously use a different solution before using Veeam.

The initial setup is a bit complex.

The solution isn't too expensive. It's comparable to other competitors on the market. I'd say the pricing is average.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Veeam.

We use the latest version of the solution. We try to consistently keep it up to date.

I'd recommend the solution. It's worked well for us.

I'd rate the solution overall at a seven out of ten. It's easy to use, however, the initial setup could be simpler. Still, for us, we don't have too many complaints about the product overall.

WL
Senior Solutions Specialist at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good stability with good technical support and fair pricing

• "The product offers good stability."
  • "It's hard to predict the usage on the storage. I need to make some estimates for customers in terms of how much storage will be needed on the cloud, and this is always tricky. It would be helpful if they could help us estimate storage or simplify the estimation portion."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to backup our Office 365.

What is most valuable?

Overall, the solution is okay.

The way the system is built is very good.

The product offers good stability.

The solution is scalable.

We've found the technical support to be helpful.

The pricing of the solution is very reasonable. It's not expensive.

What needs improvement?

They could work on their SaaS model to make it a bit more appealing.

While the company has always engaged with Veeam, I've just become familiar with the solution over the last two months.

The solution is quite stable. We don't have issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's excellent.

The solution is scalable. You can expand it out if you need to. It's not a problem.

Currently, in our company, we have about 200 users on the solution. We do plan to increase usage. However, it will depend on the requirements of the organization.

We've dealt with technical support in the past. Typically, we've had good outcomes. We're pretty satisfied with their level of support. They are knowledgeable and responsive.

I'm not an engineer. I didn't really handle the initial setup. I can't really speak to if the implementation is straightforward or complex. I'm not sure how long the deployment takes either. I wasn't hands-on in that respect. That said, it's my understanding that, overall, it should be pretty simple to execute.

The pricing of the solution is reasonable. It's not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not a user. I'm a solution provider.

We'd recommend the solution to other organizations. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at an eight.

Jóhann G. Thorarensen
IT Manager at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
A stable product that integrates well with Microsoft Teams

• "The most valuable feature is the integration with our Teams environment."
  • "Some additional training materials would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is the backup of our education-related files and data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the integration with our Teams environment.

What needs improvement?

The environment mainly consists of PCs, although we have students and a few teachers that use Apple computers. Sometimes, we have compatibility issues related to this and the problems can take a long time to solve. Faster response time to complaints that we have had would be of great appreciation.

When you work with these cloud-based systems, the response time could be better. I never take anything for granted. When people complain about something, I always check in three different settings with different internet connections and different locations. I find that when it comes to Office, the response time could be improved quite a bit.

Some additional training materials would be helpful.

We have been using Veeam Backup for Office 365 for a couple of years.

This product is very stable. It's not perfect because all computers have a tendency to break down at one point or another.

This system is pretty scalable. I find it good because you can start with a package that is not very big, and then just add to it as much as you like. Also, you can remove things that you don't like or don't need.

I find that technical support can be improved because for people who are knowledgeable, it is good, whereas for people who are not, the support is too technical.

Our staff is made up of rather strong individuals with personal opinions about software, so we've tried to focus on fewer solutions with the widest application.

What other advice do I have?

For the past six months, Microsoft Teams has been of the biggest importance for us, both in terms of teaching and meetings. Our meetings include both in-house and outside. Office 365 is one of the things that is connected to that, and our files need to be backed up regularly.

This is definitely a product that I can recommend.

Product Categories
Cloud Backup
Download our free Veeam Backup for Office 365 Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.