Veeam Backup for Office 365 OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Veeam Backup for Office 365 is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Backup tools. It is most often compared to AvePoint Cloud Backup: Veeam Backup for Office 365 vs AvePoint Cloud Backup

What is Veeam Backup for Office 365?

Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 allows you to mitigate the risk of losing access to email data and helps to ensure data Availability to Office 365 users. This helps organizations comply with the policies, requirements and regulations due to long‑term archival, fully functional search and granular restore capabilities. Since it is integrated with Veeam Backup & Replication, the solution can be used to back up hybrid cloud environments and migrate mailbox data between Exchange Online and on‑premises Exchange organizations.

Veeam Backup for Office 365 is also known as Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365.

Veeam Backup for Office 365 Buyer's Guide

Download the Veeam Backup for Office 365 Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2021

Veeam Backup for Office 365 Customers

Columbia Power & Water Systems

Veeam Backup for Office 365 Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Veeam Backup for Office 365 pricing:
  • "The pricing model makes this solution more expensive than it needs to be."
  • "This is not a stand-alone product and requires a standard Veeam license for your organization in addition to the cost of the solution."
  • "We decided on Altaro because, from the point of view of the total cost, Altaro looks cheaper than Veeam. Veeam has a lot of costs that are not clear when you start it, which makes it less flexible than Altaro, but only after half a year, you can be really sure that you made a good decision."
  • "Its price is a little bit high, but it is a fantastic solution. It is more expensive than NetApp."
  • "It is strictly subscribed on a per-user basis."
  • "I have a per-user license for the number of users and the mailboxes that I have."

Kevin Heron
Technical Operations Manager at Ocient, Inc.
This product takes care of hole in backing up Microsoft's flagship product, but the pricing model is bad

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam because — while Microsoft provides a terrific environment called Office 365 — they do not back up files that are stored there. The files most customers are concerned about are OneDrive and SharePoint files, but they often overlook their mailboxes and the Exchange piece of Office 365. It is the customer's responsibility to actually back that data up, which Microsoft does not do a good job in sharing with you. We had moved all of our file server shares to OneDrive and SharePoint, and we were just over a terabyte of data. To make sure they were being backed up properly, I implemented… more »

• "This covers the areas of backing up Office 365 that Microsoft does not include in its standard routine."
  • "The product is easy-to-use."
  • "The pricing model is unnecessarily confusing and could be simplified."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Veeam Backup for Office 365 as a seven or eight. Choosing between the two, I give it a seven. I have to ding them a little bit because of the licensing. I am really not thrilled with that.
Engeline Snijders
Teamlead Enterprise Content Management at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
A stable solution that runs very fast and has the ability to restore at the item level

What is our primary use case?

We have Veeam in place for Office 365 backup and restore. We use it for mail backup and restore, SharePoint, and Teams. We were still struggling with the backup of OneDrive, which is still a discussion. We are using its latest version.

• "Its ability to restore at the item level is very valuable. It is very strong at that. In the past, we had to restore a lot of data only for a couple of items. We can now restore an item as well as an email, which is good for productivity."
  • "When you add a new site for backup, it gives you a notice that there is a new site, but the way you select that and configure that could be slightly better. It works, but it is not always very clear. For example, for the URL, you need to hover over the title or the name of the site. You should see it immediately on the screen. It should have a better user interface for selecting what you want to back up so that you get a more clear overview of the sites that are there and the ones that you want to combine in a backup. Its user interface should be more user-friendly. It has a lot of scrolling and doesn't give you a complete overview when needed. That's the main thing why it is not very user-friendly. It should have a better user interface."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Veeam Backup for Office 365 an eight out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup for Office 365. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
534,468 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Anthony Njoroge
Product Manager - Netapp at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
A complete, mature, and intuitive solution that works well with various cloud providers and on-premise storage

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is the backup of 365 objects and emails. At the moment, you are just testing Veeam. We are using it for production, and we are running a few productions on APIs.

• "We are able to store it on various cloud providers such as Amazon S3, Rocket, Azure, and IBM Cloud. It can also do on-premise integration, and we are able to use storage from on-premise. We are also able to recover data. It is a really good and intuitive solution. Veeam has developed a fantastic product. I've never seen anything that I don't like about Veeam. It looks like a very complete solution. It is really mature, simple to use, and quite interrogative. It also has APIs for writing scripts."
  • "Its price could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend both Veeam and NetApp. Both of them have got it right. The only difference I see is in the management. For Office 365, we have to go into our web console which is directly integrated on the cloud, which is good because it gives that differentiation. At the same time, if you're an administrator and you're managing backups, you should have the simplicity of having everything in a single pane of glass. I would recommend using the Veeam console to someone who is doing Veeam on-premise or cloud backup. It gives you the simplicity of having everything in a single pane of glass. I…
MA
Technical Presales Consultant/ Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Easy and quick to install, with responsive technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are distributors for Veeam. The use case for this solution is for backup. The challenging part is that people don't understand the importance of having a backup of Office 365. They think that their data is on the cloud and it's safe. They don't feel the need to back it up. Once they learn about the Microsoft shared responsibility model, they find out that Microsoft is not responsible for the data. If, for example, an employee deletes his emails because he is angry with the management and leaves the company, the company will need a backup to restore at some point. There are various reasons… more »

• "Technical support in Veeam is good."
  • "They don't have native integration with deduplication of storage."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. If you have Office 365 you should have a backup. Veeam will help you to do that. I would rate Veeam Backup for Office 365 an eight out of ten.
GC
Science Technician at a government with 201-500 employees
Good interface and great support but needs a simpler initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam to make backups in our system, including backups for Office 365 and other applications.

• "The support offered by both Veeam and our third party supplier is excellent."
  • "The solution could offer better reporting."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Veeam. We use the latest version of the solution. We try to consistently keep it up to date. I'd recommend the solution. It's worked well for us. I'd rate the solution overall at a seven out of ten. It's easy to use, however, the initial setup could be simpler. Still, for us, we don't have too many complaints about the product overall.
WL
Senior Solutions Specialist at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good stability with good technical support and fair pricing

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to backup our Office 365.

• "The product offers good stability."
  • "It's hard to predict the usage on the storage. I need to make some estimates for customers in terms of how much storage will be needed on the cloud, and this is always tricky. It would be helpful if they could help us estimate storage or simplify the estimation portion."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not a user. I'm a solution provider. We'd recommend the solution to other organizations. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at an eight.
Jóhann G. Thorarensen
IT Manager at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
A stable product that integrates well with Microsoft Teams

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is the backup of our education-related files and data.

• "The most valuable feature is the integration with our Teams environment."
  • "Some additional training materials would be helpful."

What other advice do I have?

For the past six months, Microsoft Teams has been of the biggest importance for us, both in terms of teaching and meetings. Our meetings include both in-house and outside. Office 365 is one of the things that is connected to that, and our files need to be backed up regularly. This is definitely a product that I can recommend. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
BartHeungens
Hybrid Infrastructure Solution Architect at Bitcon
Clear procedures, easy to install, good support, scalable, and well-integrated

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to protect our mailboxes, our data, and Office 365. We use it in our office as well as for our customers who have Office 365. I use it in a multi-tenant way.

• "I want an additional copy of my data in the Office cloud and it works."
  • "When you are working in the Cloud security is very important."

What other advice do I have?

Definitely, I recommend using Veeam Backup for Office 365. They are adding SharePoint and OneDrive as well as other integrations. I would rate Veeam Backup for Office 365 a nine out of ten.
See 8 more Veeam Backup for Office 365 Reviews
Product Categories
Cloud Backup
Download our free Veeam Backup for Office 365 Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.