MA
Technical Presales Consultant/ Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Is easy to install and use, and has an Immutable Repository feature

• "They introduced a new feature called the Immutable Repository feature, which helps protect environments from malware attacks that target backup file extensions."
  • "The Veeam backup application interface is application-based and not web-based."

What is our primary use case?

I have a customer who used to use Veritas NetBackup, which is also a very well-respected enterprise backup solution. The company's compliance requirement to have daily backups meant that he had to fix issues even if that meant staying after work hours.

Veritas was doing a great job backing up his environment, but every weekend, he would receive a notification that a backup failed. He would then have to go back to the office and contact Veritas support. They would fix the issue, but he wanted something that will just work and that could be left alone.

So we did a proof of concept for Veeam and that's what happened. It was really easy to set up and configure, and he never received any notifications that required him to return to the office and fix an issue.

What is most valuable?

They introduced a new feature called the Immutable Repository feature, which helps protect environments from malware attacks that target backup file extensions. Usually that's a common trend here. Many cyber attacks have occurred where they don't just come and hack the environment, they hack the backup solution.

With the Immutable Repository feature where any customer can get any server and any hardware, install Linux on that server, and use it to conduct immutable backups. These backups cannot be modified or deleted within a specific time period. I really like this feature and think that it adds value because before that, only enterprises could afford expensive storage appliances that provided this feature.

Now, anyone, especially small and the medium businesses, looking for warm storage or individual backup storage can utilize any existing x86 hardware with Linux kernel 5.4 or above to conduct immutable backups.

Veeam is a simple a solution that's easy to work with, and they distinguish themselves in the market in this particular aspect.

What needs improvement?

The Veeam backup application interface is application-based and not web-based. At present, everything is going web-based. Veeam does have a web interface that can centrally manage Veeam backup servers for free. However, it would be great if the backup console itself was web-based; that is, the main backup applications software was web-based.

It's a Windows-based software, but it would be great if customers could install it on Linux. Veeam can do backups of Linux, but the management server can only be installed on Windows.

Better support for Oracle would be great. Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN is available, but it's a really primitive product.

I've been working with it since 2017. I've worked with versions 9.5, 10, and 11.

Veeam's stability has improved; since version 9.5, it has been very stable.

In terms of the scalability, the solution is scalable depending on the environment. That is, it is scalable to some extent, depending on the scenario. In rare use cases, it will have limited scalability.

For example, for VMware and Hyper-V and physical workloads, Veeam is pretty scalable. However, if you have a really huge Nutanix cluster and you are fixed with only one proxy, Veeam is not that scalable even though you can increase the RAM in the CPU.

Generally, in terms of installation and configuration Veeam is the easiest in comparison to those of other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I've been a Veeam enthusiast for five years now, seeing the product grow from just backing up VMware, to backing up Hyper-V, to backing up lots of other environments. I'm pretty satisfied with the progress they are making.

Recently, they announced a few future releases which will fill lots of gaps in the market like, for example, support for Red Hat Virtualization.

They have also acquired the company that specializes in Kubernetes backups. This was a big gap for Veeam, especially in the service provider segment because many service providers will use Red Hat Linux for their stack and OpenStack to manage their cloud, and will use Kubernetes to provide platform as a service to their customers or infrastructure or software as a service. Service providers usually have a huge number of workloads, unlike end users.

I'm pretty satisfied with the way Veeam is developing their product at a rapid growth rate while maintaining the stability of the software and its simplicity and flexibility as well.

Veeam Backup Replication is an almost flawless product, and I would rate it at eight on a scale from one to ten.

KS
Managing Director/ VP of Sales at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reliable with helpful technical support and competitive pricing

• "It's a pretty complete product."
  • "During the initial setup especially, there's a bit of a learning curve."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for backups.

We're a managed service provider and we use it to back up our own stuff. We use it to backup all of our client's data. Obviously, depending on the client, they're very much siloed. We've got multiple backups and multiple instances of Veeam deployed in their particular partitioned-off networks. Those are daily backups. We do full backups and we do incremental backups. Exactly what that schedule depends on the client itself, however, on a daily or a weekly basis, we have the typical things that end users do where they delete files and we have to go recover them.

How has it helped my organization?

We've had catastrophic failures at sites due to our location in Florida. Over the years, hurricanes come through and things happen, and we've had to deploy backups to get clients back up and running.

What is most valuable?

The most important features of backups are them being able to make sure they're reliable, and that whatever you need to restore you have access to. Veeam offers us that. You can easily restore everything to get the data back in the event of an emergency.

It's a pretty complete product.

For the most part, it is competitively priced.

Technical support has always been very helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

Pricing is always an issue. The less it costs, the better for us and our clients. Therefore, if they can lower the costs, that would be ideal for us.

The ease of usability and a learning curve to get up to speed are usually important. If they can continue to streamline and simplify their product, that would help us a lot. During the initial setup especially, there's a bit of a learning curve.

I've been in the business for 30 plus years and have health with multiple backup solutions, including Veeam, for many, many years.

The solution is reliable. It's stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

Technical support has been good. We haven't had any issues really.

There's a learning curve you need to deal with when you are implementing the product. Once you're implementing it and figuring out everything configuring the features, it's okay, however, it's not exactly straightforward.

We go through some training first from our more senior-level people that have already been using it when we train new people, and obviously, that has helped when it comes to implementation. We're finding it's getting easier to cross-train folks.

We're generally able to support it, in terms of maintenance. We've got thousands of users, and therefore, we've got several people on the team at various stages. We have two or three senior guys and then we have several of the mid-tier folks, and obviously, we've got new folks coming on every month that we're cross-training for the entry-level positions.

In terms of pricing, our marketing department handles that. I don't really deal with that area. However, I can say that I would assume that the solution is competitive or else we would not be using the product.

I'd advise those considering the solution to first make sure they take the vendor training and get at least one or two on the team up to speed from people that know the product. Then, use them to cross-train the rest of your staff.

I'm always researching and downloading information, and recently, I was looking at that Cloud Backup Report.

We've looked at other options. They're all pretty similar. With Veeam, the interface seems to be fairly easy to use and the price points are good. I don't know exactly what it is off the top of my head, however, I know that we've had several conversations about it being price competitive.

What other advice do I have?

I've done lots of backups in the past, both onsite offsite, and for DR.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Pedro Martins
Consultant at a integrator with 5,001-10,000 employees
Quick, easy to work with, and good support for Microsoft products

• "Veeam is quick, easy to work with, and its support for Microsoft products is good. They also provide adequate solutions for backing up Microsoft applications in the cloud, such as Office 365."
  • "Veeam needs to have more support for non-Windows systems and other databases. For example, I can do SQL with Veeam but not Informix or Oracle. This is unfortunate because we have many partners with Oracle systems and Informix databases, and Veeam does not yet have the agents we need for specific Oracle and UNIX operating systems."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Veeam Backup and Replication in small installations and projects with Windows as well as standard Linux systems. We also use it as a backup solution for cloud products such as Office 365. In total, we have around 14 Veeam users, which covers about 100-200 devices using it.

Regarding the technical implementation, we have three primary technical personnel that maintain our use of Veeam. Because our company is multinational, with data centers located in Nordic countries such as Finland, we often have conferences outside our country and we share the services used to configure and perform the maintenance of our systems when needed. In this case, I can't point to an exact number of all the technical staff involved with Veeam throughout the greater organization.

Ideally, when it comes to backups, we prefer to use only one solution rather than two. However, we also have customers in the healthcare sector in Portugal who are using legacy UNIX and Oracle systems, and Veeam does not have agents for these operating systems. So when these customers want to create disaster recovery plans, we like to use Commvault to set up replication and create backup copies of the data code.

What needs improvement?

Because we are limited to using Veeam on mainly Microsoft systems, we have to resort to another backup and replication provider, Commvault, to handle these other systems. In general, I think that Veeam needs more improvement in terms of support for other applications and IT systems. It would be much more convenient for us to have all our backups for the different systems covered under one solution only, rather than having to use Veeam alongside other solutions like Commvault.

I have been using Veeam for a couple of years now.

As far as I've been using it, it has been a stable solution.

With regard to scalability, we don't have any problems in terms of basic Windows systems.

Our local support team for Veeam is composed of four technical members who assist with support across the board. In first line support, there are more support members, but in second line support there are only two to three people who can support our customers. However, the problems are generally so easy that when using Veeam across our data centers, there aren't many support issues that can't be solved quickly.

It took us about five weeks to install Veeam in our environments and to implement it with our various solutions. We did not have much trouble with the initial setup, and it wasn't very difficult to work with.

We have implemented Veeam in-house, as it is very important for us to do it this way when it comes to backups and data replication.

We pay yearly licensing fees for Veeam in our data centers where we're using disaster recovery and replication between our many solutions, especially cloud solutions. From the beginning, we've done our licensing from a separate channel through our data center team in Seattle.

What other advice do I have?

Veeam is a good backup product but it definitely needs more complexity when it comes to supporting different types of systems and applications. That said, it works perfectly for how we use it in our Microsoft solutions and I know we will continue to use it.

I would rate Veeam Backup and Replication a ten out of ten.

Achilles Lobo
Infrastructure Architect at Grupo Protege
Stable, scalable, and affordable

• "The solution is quite stable."
  • "The initial setup was not straightforward at all."

What is our primary use case?

We do backups of our hyper-real environment and our branch office environment and we have servers running on the 2012 version.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, we had to manage the tapes and backups locally. When we needed to restore data, we needed to ask for people in the branch offices to insert the tapes and manage everything manually. When we deployed this solution, we no longer had to contact people on-site, to make these actions happen.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is its ability to make use of an appliance to use as a staging disk to allow us to make fast recoveries directly from the bridge. This helps us avoid using the communication links

What needs improvement?

The cyber recovery and cyber protections need to be improved within the solution. Right now, they are quite limited. They need to be more extensive and more robust. It would be good to have machine alerts within the technician service in order to be more accurate and go more deeply into the process of validation for the backup data.

We see some limitations in the way that data is analyzed and the market update for the archive is handled.

The initial setup was not straightforward at all.

I've been using the solution for about two years at this point. It hasn't been too long.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't had any issues with its reliability. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

We don't see any limitations when it comes to scalability. We haven't experienced any either. The scalability is quite good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We have about 5,000 users on the solution.

We don't directly contact technical support. Our service provider might if there are issues. However, if there are any problems, we've noticed that they are resolved quickly, and therefore I can assume technical support is pretty good. We don't have any complaints.

We previously used HP's Data Protector. We switched solutions when we switched service providers.

The initial setup was not straightforward or easy. It was difficult and complex. We experienced some issues early on and needed to make some updates and figure out some workarounds to put it into production.

The deployment took five or six months to put everything into action. It was a long process.

I'm not sure exactly how many people are needed for maintenance.

The contract we have for this solution is affordable. It's not too expensive. That said, I don't know the exact pricing. I don't handle billing or licensing at my organization.

We evaluated other service providers, not other backup solutions. Other service providers came with HP Data Protector, NetBackup, and Commvault as solutions they offered.

I'd say that Commvault is a more comprehensive solution if I were to compare it directly to Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

A few months ago, about two months, I was in a meeting and I asked my service provider which version we were using. They said that we were using the latest version. I don't know if it's still the latest version, however, if it not the latest, it's almost the latest.

We access our backup through a service provider.

We're in the process of looking for more protection services to better guard against attacks.

I'd advise those considering the solution to look carefully at the licensing. In the beginning, we experienced some troubles with the licensing models that were acquired by service provider. That caused some limitations. It was a major concern for us at first and might be a major concern for others.

In general, I would recommend the solution. I'd rate it at an eight out of ten.

Randall Carter
Senior Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Automatically adapts to your environment, offers one-click restore, and we are pleased with the support

• "The most valuable feature is adaptability, where it automatically adapts to the environment that it's being installed on."
  • "They need full cloud integration such that an on-premises backup can be offloaded to the cloud for storage."

What is our primary use case?

The main use case is performing a backup of a virtualized environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is adaptability, where it automatically adapts to the environment that it's being installed on. It can auto-configure backup transport, whether it be a direct-attach or network-based.

It has one-click restores and instant recovery, which is important because if a product doesn't have a good restore and recovery capability, then the backup is pretty much useless.

What needs improvement?

They need full cloud integration such that an on-premises backup can be offloaded to the cloud for storage. It is my understanding that they are focusing on solidifying that now. Everybody wants to be able to integrate with the cloud.

I have been using the Veeam Backup & Replication solution for 12 years.

Around the first quarter of this year, they rolled out release 10. The last stable version was 9.5 Update 4, and since the release of version 10, they just rolled out the first update, which is 10 Alpha.

Version 10a has a lot of fixes. For the most part, it's a very fluent software, and very stable. However, some of the new features, when they're trying to roll them out, they seem to have to do the updates just to stabilize those.

Over the years they've had some minor bugs, but nothing that stands out in the crowd compared to anything else because everybody else has the same issues.

This is a scalable product.

I've been very, very pleased with the Veeam software tech support. When you call in, you actually get a live person and they are typically able to assist you or direct you to second-tier support if it's above their typical area of expertise.

The complexity of the initial setup depends on the environment and whether it is an all-in-one or distributed. For an all-in-one situation, it can be very straightforward. You just install it and press next, next, next. You will get everything you need and a fully functional product.

In a distributed setup, you have a couple of components that are external to the server that you're loading the main software on. This is a database server and reporting server, as well as an enterprise managing component. With these additional components, you have just a little bit more configuration. They're not that complex and I've actually done some other backups in the past that were more complex.

Overall, it is pretty straightforward.

In the company that I work for, we have a managed services group. So, our backup and engineering team for managing other environments are also are skilled at doing Veeam.

We have a lot of customers that use Veeam, and I'm the installer implementer. I implement these solutions and do upgrades to them. There are a couple of us who are field engineers, and either of us can maintain and deploy updates.

My understanding is that it is a fairly small price point. They have two different models, where one is based on the sockets that you're protecting, and the other is based on instances, or servers. You can choose whichever model works best for you.

What other advice do I have?

I think that this is a good product across any environment. I've installed it for schools, in the financial industry, for lawyers, and places that vary in size from small to large. I've never had any issues and I recommend it.

I know that there are always new features being released but at this point, there is nothing to say that I need anything more. That said, there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: PARTNER
Jahan Zaib
Head IT manager at mksons
Easy to set up and can scale well but the snapshot restoration takes too long

• "It's simply very good software for backup purposes."
  • "The patching can be quite difficult at times."

What is our primary use case?

I have two to four servers, and I back up one VM to another VM through Veeam Backup. That's the primary use case.

What is most valuable?

Veeam Backup is very user-friendly.

It's integrated with many deduplication software solutions  - including Dell software.

It's simply very good software for backup purposes. All the IT infrastructure is shifted on Veeam rather than other methods.

The initial setup is very easy.

The stability is good.

The solution can scale well.

They are fulfilling the requirements of their users and the updates they offer are good. I used one update recently and it was good. Any previous problems were solved in the update release.

What needs improvement?

Unfortunately, when one of my servers crashed, I instructed a colleague to delete the backup job, and he did. He accidentally deleted backup replication, however. I had nothing then. Both the backup and the original machine were deleted. We learned that there is no chance for recovery once the backup is deleted. They should make it possible to restore a replica in cases where it is accidentally deleted.

The restoration, reiteration, or snapshotting somehow is creating some sort of problem for us right now. I don't know, if it's the hardware's fault or a software issue, however, sometimes it takes a long time to delete a Snapshot. It can take anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours. They have to minimize the time of restoration that Snapshot is creating right now.

The patching can be quite difficult at times.

We try to make the backups run at off-peak times, however, sometimes something goes wrong and it doesn't back up as scheduled.

I've only been using the solution for about a year at this point.

We've found the solution to be quite stable so far. We haven't had any issues.

It is scalable. It's good for scalability.

We only have one person that handles the backups. Not every user in the company has access to the solution. We don't intend to add more users.

We use ten Veeams, give or take, currently. However, we might add more in the future.

We use the community edition. The problem I've faced in the community edition is that the community edition always relies on the community to solve a problem. I tend to google answers or ask the community. They seem to have a lot of users and it helps in the sense that there is a lot of information out there. You can typically find an answer to your question.

The solution is very easy to set up and integrate with other solutions. It's not complex at all. The process is extremely straightforward.

It only takes one person to set up and administer the product. We have one or two people on staff that can handle any Veeam related duties. With jobs and replicas, it is a good practice for both to know the all use cases, to know all the backups and backups replicas. Then they will find it easier to handle and they will better understand the jobs.

I use the community version of the solution. I'm not sure of the licensing costs for the paid version.

What other advice do I have?

We are end-users of the solution and we rely on the community version right now. IN the future, we may use the licensed paid version.

I learned to use the latest update, however, my preference is that I use the second last update. I'm not necessarily on the latest version.

I'd recommend the solution.

I'd rate it at a seven out of ten.

Enayat Galsulkar
Senior Information Security Consultant at Future Telecom
A flexible and user-friendly backup solution

• "This solution is very flexible and user-friendly — it's very good. It's very good with our virtual and physical infrastructure."
  • "There's a lot of room for improvement surrounding the backup process."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to backup and replicate our visualized and physical infrastructure. We use it to take backups on a daily/monthly basis; to take snapshots for disaster recovery; for application-aware processing.

Veeam Backup and Replication is mainly used by our IT team but we have a Veeam Backup Agent deployed on all of our workstations to make backups for end-users. In total, there are roughly 60-65 people using this solution in our company.

For maintenance, we only require two engineers and a manager.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very flexible and user-friendly — it's very good. It's very good with our virtual and physical infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve the reporting. There is something called Veeam ONE Reporting — it's a separate module altogether. It's not included in the Veeam Backup and Replication bundle; it has to be purchased separately.

There's a lot of room for improvement surrounding the backup process. Searching through folders is complicated; customization involving backups is lacking. For instance, if I want to backup a particular server and store it in another repository, I have to first define a repository then I have to create a policy. Next, I have to execute the policy. It's not as if I just snap my fingers and it works — no. You need to build it and put that intelligence inside of it in order for it to act intelligently.

In addition, it should be more flexible when it comes to customizing policies.

I have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for roughly two years.

The technical support is very slow — their response time is very slow.

If I raise a ticket, they should quickly respond. Their first response is very slow; they work on their own sweet time. For instance, four days ago I reached out to technical support with an issue; only last night did they respond — they sent me an email asking me for our logs. The response time is very slow. It took almost four days for them to even respond. After I've uploaded the logs, they'll review them and come back with their findings. In other words, it takes roughly eight to 10 days just to understand the case — that's really bad.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give their support a rating of zero.

The initial setup was very straightforward; however, the configuration was not straightforward. After it's set up, you then need to build it. Think of it like making a pizza: first, you need to make the dough; then you need the proper ingredients; then you need to preheat the oven to the proper temperature — it's a precise process.

We pay on an annual basis. We pay roughly $12,000 for our software subscription.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Veeam Backup & Replication to others. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. The only issue I have is with their technical support; otherwise, it's a great product.

We chose Veeam because, according to Gartner and multiple reports, it's the number one product for virtualized infrastructure. We got the demo and began a POC on a couple of servers. It was good for performing backups, etc., but it's not about the product. The product is good, it's the service after the sale that you have to look out for. After the sale is complete, the service and support are what matters. This can make or break a product.

JoseDa Silva
Technical Pre-Sales Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User-friendly and easy to integrate

• "I can't think of any improvements yet for Veeam because they are very good. It integrates very well with Microsoft applications. It is very easy to integrate. Micro Focus can also integrate but it's more complex. You have to know the product very well to be able to integrate. While Veeam, it's very user-friendly. You don't need to have certifications or anything to work on Veeam."
  • "I like the Acronis backup solutions on the block-based part of backups or snapshots. That's a nice functionality that Veeam doesn't have."

What is most valuable?

Veeam Backup does not interfere with your environment. It's got those facilities, which are very good.

Acronis has been a long time player on the images and in block-based backups. I can't think of any improvements yet for Veeam because they are very good. It integrates very well with Microsoft applications. It is very easy to integrate. Micro Focus can also integrate but it's more complex. You have to know the product very well to be able to integrate. While Veeam, it's very user-friendly. You don't need to have certifications or anything to work on Veeam.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Veeam Backup Replication for four years.

Scalability is very good. The only problem that might occur with Veeam is if people do not size it correctly, they can get performance issues. If you don't do the right thing, you always have those types of problems anyway.

Backing up to the cloud, AWS or Azure is fantastic. It's really good. It also backs up applications as well like Oracle, SAP, and so forth. Veeam is a good backup solution.

The technical support is excellent. If you're on the right support level, they provide a solution immediately. They tell the customer exactly what is wrong. Compared to Micro Focus Data Protector, they've got good engineers to help you, but I think Veeam is much quicker and more helpful in resolving a problem.

If I had to choose visualization between Micro Focus Data Protector and Veeam, I would choose Veeam. It's a much better product. The functionalities for the end-user are much easier. It is a good product for an enterprise, but it's not that user-friendly like Veeam is. The functionalities that Veeam offers are fantastic. It's a very good product.

In terms of virtualization, I would recommend Veeam over Data Protector. Definitely. Even for hybrid, I would still recommend Veeam. Although, the Data Protector hybrid environment is also not bad. But the problem is the complexity.

Micro Focus is developing the virtualization side. You can't compare it with Veeam. The storage and backing up the environment are much easier on Veeam than Data Protector. Veeam is much more ahead at the moment.

Data Protector is not user-friendly. It's more complex. You need to know the product very well to be able to do backups or restores.

The price is reasonable compared to NetBackup, Backup Exec, Dell, Micro Focus, or Acronis, then Veeam is lower in price.

Micro Focus's pricing is not too bad either because they changed the licensing model.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Veeam Backup Replication a ten out of ten.

In the next release, I would like for them to have block-based backups as well. But I don't know if they will do that because they've got all the functionalities to restore a system and it's working. If they would put it in, that would be fantastic, it will maybe even improve the performance when backing up.

I would rate Acronis an eight out of ten. They're missing a lot and are still not very user-friendly.

Download our free Veeam Backup & Replication Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.