Calvin Engen
CTO at F12.net
Reduced our overall backup windows while reducing our dedicated backup infrastructure

• "Before Veeam, we had backup infrastructure sprawl. Veeam was able to reduce our overall backup windows while reducing our dedicated backup infrastructure."
  • "Vendor integration for many of the enterprise features have allowed for us to have greater performance from our storage vendors further improving on our commitments to protect our clients' data."
  • "Multithreading of health check process: This can take too much time to process on large jobs and/or large VMs."
  • "Additional executive summary reports for the entire infrastructure would be a nice to have."
  • "One challenge that we have encountered was on the long-term retention of data. Be sure to look into a dedicated deduplication appliance."

What is our primary use case?

Primary backup and long-term retention to protect our client data across our datacenters. Allows for incremental RPOs for VM and file-level recovery across multiple datacenters to our IT staff of more than 200 technicians. Enable fast restores and long term archival.

How has it helped my organization?

As our datacenters continue to grow, we had a challenge of reducing backup windows while being able to scale our total protected VMs. Before Veeam, we had backup infrastructure sprawl. Veeam was able to reduce our overall backup windows while reducing our dedicated backup infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

Granular permissions through Veeam Enterprise Manager have allowed for us to pass control down to our support staff instead of having it with senior datacenter resources.

What needs improvement?

Multithreading of health check process: This can take too much time to process on large jobs and/or large VMs. Better to have built-in deduplication for long-term retention. Storage efficiency is a weakness.

Three to five years.

No, we have not experienced any stability issues.

Also, know where the bottleneck is within your environment. If you are repurposing older equipment, it likely won't be up to the task. Storage performance is crucial to your backup times.

Support has been great; no complaints.

We used PHD Virtual and what is now Unitrends UVB. Backup infrastructure was becoming a significant cost and scaling this solution meant more sprawl. Backup windows were increasing outside our comfort levels. At the time, we as acquired a company with additional datacenter services. Consolidating to one solution with a single interface was key. This, in turn, ensured that we had complete visibility of our backup environments across multiple datacenters.

Veeam helped us solve all of these areas of concern.

It was pretty straightforward.

In-house.

We have increased our scalability while being able to free up senior resources from recovery activities. I estimate our overall savings to about $20,000 per year.

Plan your long-term backup strategy for growth and size the solution appropriately. Veeam has a number of setup options to choose from so make sure you understand them to make the right decision.

I would always suggest a multi-year agreement as this will allow for the best possible ROI of licensing.

We looked at vRanger, Unitrends, and Datto.

What other advice do I have?

Since everyone's data is different, I would recommend a proof of concept project to understand how your data will be used within this solution. If you are intending to keep data for long-term retention, look at a dedicated deduplication appliance.

Private Cloud

Other
TT
Group Product Specialist at a wholesaler/distributor with 201-500 employees
Reseller
A well-organized interface that is simple to use and can verify backup integrity

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to verify that backups are valid."
  • "We would like to see support for some additional storage systems."

What is our primary use case?

We use and promote Veeam for protecting server farms. We also work with system integrators, providing them with this solution and helping them to size deals.

How has it helped my organization?

Provided much more, best to say, time, and less worry about backup. It automated backup to the point of almost no involvement needed and our backups can be checked, tested and verified at any time in accordance with our policies.

What is most valuable?

Veeam is much more flexible than other products, such as Commvault.

The interface is well-arranged and it is simple to use.

This solution is very easy for us and our partners to deploy.

The most valuable feature is the ability to verify that backups are valid.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see support for some additional storage systems. They do have a range available but more should be available.

The cost of this solution could be reduced.

I have been working with Veeam Backup and Replication for two years.

I am extremely satisfied with stability. You can make sure that every backup is 100% recoverable, which is a feature that I and my team are very grateful for. It is something that is not available in most solutions, as far as I have seen.

Veeam is easily scalable. I had a couple of cases where I had to scale from small to medium to enterprise-level organizations. There were thousands of nodes and it was easy to do. It took between a couple of hours and a day or two, depending on the size of the deployment.

The technical support is good, although there are very few complaints. Issues are normally resolved within 24 to 72 hours.

I have used similar solutions by vendors such as Commvault.

Veeam is much more flexible and easier to use. With Commvault, you need an additional technician to launch or deploy anything. It requires a lot of time just to set it up. Also, Commvault is more expensive.

The initial setup is simple and straightforward without the need for more complex preparations.

In-house and vendor team - expertise was on a level and did not require extensive amounts of time.

We estimate our ROI within 1,9 - 2,3 years.

Veeam is more reasonably priced than some competing products.

Each solution has its own points that are good but in cost-optimization, Veeam is a good price and it is very easy to deploy for both us and our partners.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to make sure that the sizing is correct. Having good or perfect sizing is the best thing that somebody can do for their company, and, if possible, to put more funds into analytics reporting so that they can provide intelligent sizing in advance. In fact, the biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that you never want to have the wrong sizing.

Overall, I am quite satisfied with this product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JJG124536
Product Manager Storage, Database and Backup & Replication at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Easy to install with good incremental backup capabilities and works for companies of various sizes

• "The solution can work for companies no matter the size or scope."
  • "There needs to be more integration with VMware and the virtual machine."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for replication, backup, and disaster recovery.

It's basically BaaS, Backup as a Service in in physical and virtual environments,

and DRaaS, Disaster Recovery as a Service. It allows for backups on-premise.

What is most valuable?

The solution allows for incremental backup and incremental reverse. It's very helpful.

Overall, it's a good product. The tool is very important to our organization.

They've gone ahead and improved 90% of the tool. They have the software that we need and we've really enjoyed using them overall.

The solution is easy to install and the programming is pretty basic.

The solution can work for companies no matter the size or scope.

What needs improvement?

In the future, I would like to see the product offer a full backup, virtual machines, and point systems as well as database and application power in the Veeam Backup. There needs to be more integration with VMware and the virtual machine.

For my client, bandwidth is a problem. We do not know the sizing of the environment and it's a problem in every RPO in the time of sizing. This is a big problem.

If the solution could offer a backup for SAN as part of its functionality, that would be a major advantage in comparison to other software companies. It is made for VMware. This is a specialty tool for VMware virtual machines. It would be ideal if it could also be for Veeam and you didn't have to leverage it via VMware.

I've been using the solution for about three years at this point.

We handle all sizes of company. It doesn't matter if it is medium, large, or small - including government organizations and banks, which can be quite sizable.

I don't have too many tickets with Veeam, however, I do find it hard to communicate with them. They could be better in that sense. I do use them rarely, although I do have an open ticket right now.

I'm also using CloudConnect, as well.

The initial setup is not overly complex. It's pretty easy to install. For us, the implementation is straightforward, as it is what we do. We handle implementations for a variety of clients.

We handle the implementation ourselves for our clients. We don't need an implementor or consultant to help us.

We have looked at other solutions in the past - for example, VMware.

The difference is in licensing. Veeam is licensed via a virtual machine or a physical machine. Other companies have a different setup.

However, VMware is very easy to use in terms of functionality, and the console makes it easier to create jobs from a backup.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners with Veeam.

We have the solution on-premise in our data center. I have platforms in VMware and Hyper-V.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Alexey Parakhnevich
IT Engineer at Softline
MSP
User-friendly and quite stable with a straightforward setup

• "The initial setup is pretty straightforward."
  • "Although the solution offers documentation, it has it only in English, which doesn't help us much in Belarus."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam in our company for demo purposes to present to our clients and our customers. We have some keys in production implementation in the production environment, in our clients' infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The solution is a very convenient instant crypto machine. It's great for virtual machine recovery, mass storage, data immigration, restoring backups of physical service to mutual environments, et cetera.

Some features of Veeam will work in cloud environments, such as Azure.

The solution is extremely user-friendly.

Overall, the product has proven to be quite stable.

The solution has extensive documentation.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I just started working with version 11 in January and I am still looking at the changes. I haven't come across areas of the solution that are lacking just yet. I still need to explore it more.

Although the solution offers documentation, it has it only in English, which doesn't help us much in Belarus. It would be much more helpful if they provided their documentation in multiple languages.

The backup jobs and the scheduled tuning are not as convenient as compared to a solution such as Data Protector. They should work on these aspects to make them more convenient.

Veeam can not do some backup jobs. yOu can only arrange it on a daily basis and no more than that. You can't, for example, do a backup twice in one day, even if you need to.

I've been working with the solution for a while. I just started using the latest version in January.

The stability of the solution is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's excellent.

The solution is scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We've never had to open a ticket for Veeam. I've never dealt with technical support directly. I can't speak to how knowledgable or responsive they are.

Up until two years ago, I worked with Micro Focus Data Protector, version 9.5. It's more for enterprises and has more capabilities for working with tape libraries, replication between the sites, data trends, or working with virtual tape libraries, and so on. It is more expensive, however, in comparison to Veeam.

The initial setup is not overly complex. It's rather straightforward. Specifically, when it comes to small environments, deployment is very easy. You don't have to be overly skilled to do an implementation.

I don't know the exact pricing of the software. I can't speak to its direct costs.

I haven't properly evaluated Commvault, however, I've attended webinars on the solution and have a bit of familiarity with it.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an integrator. Our organization is a Gold Partner with Veeam.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's pretty good.

HK
Enterprise Chief Infrastructure Hosting & Cloud Architect with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good support, easy to set up, stable, and the on-premises version is doing a good job

• "They provide good technical support and we are satisfied with the support we have received."
  • "The Cloud version is not ready, they need maturity and ease of deployment in terms of management."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to back up all of the critical VMs and the critical server. It's applied on the server.

What is most valuable?

It's doing a good job.

What needs improvement?

Azure Cloud version support requires improvement. The on-premises is doing well.

I don't think that it is really ready.

Ideally, the cloud version and the on-premises version can be managed through the same interface, but that is not the case with their cloud-native implementation. The cloud-native solution is completely disconnected from the on-premise solution. This is an area that needs to improve.

When we started to talk to them about the cloud, we were under the impression that it's was going to be the same console, and everything would be the same, but that is not the case.

The cloud offering as a SaaS and the integration with the cloud providers. We work with Azure, and I think they need better integration with Azure.

Also, the consolidation between the on-premises solution and those going to the cloud should have the same user experience. That will allow them to manage two environments in the same place. That would be a very good feature to offer, and it would be helpful.

If they could offer that feature it would probably put them ahead of their competitors.

We have been using Veeam Backup & Replication in our organization for approximately six years.

It is very stable.

It's scalable.

We have a maximum of five users who system administrators. They are managing this solution and operating it.

I am not aware of what the organization had in place before I arrive. Veeam Backup & Replication was already in place before I arrived.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I was not a part of the on-premises deployment, so I am not sure how long it took. I don't have an answer for that.

We don't require any staff to maintain this solution.

We had the help of a reseller and the experience was good.

I don't know what the costs are for sure, but I think that it's on a yearly basis.

I don't think there are any costs in addition to the standard licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

In the near future, we will deploy the cloud version.

I would rate the Veeam Backup Replication on-premises version a ten out of ten, and for the Cloud version specifically with Azure, I would rate them a four out of ten.

I don't know how it performs with other Cloud providers.

Atul Dond
Sr. Executive Admin at a tech consulting company with 11-50 employees
An easy initial setup with technical support and the ability to handle multiple jobs

• "The initial setup is very easy."
  • "The stability could be better, specifically in the cloud."

What is most valuable?

The VMR is the solution's most valuable aspect.

There is a great catchup backup quality to the solution.

We can have multiple jobs going so long as we have the proper licensing in effect. It's quite helpful.

The initial setup is very easy.

Technical support has been very good. They're helpful.

What needs improvement?

While we used the cloud and on-premises deployment models, on the cloud we found we had some issues and we moved to everything on-premises to counteract that.

The solution needs to fix its incremental sizing. Currently, we are facing an issue with the incremental backup. For example, with a normal user laptop, it is taking a huge amount of incremental backup on a daily basis - more than two, three DBS it is taking place on a daily basis. Much improvement is needed. Though the compression rate is good, what exactly they are backing up on daily basis for such a great extent is unresolved. We want to understand why this is happening.

The stability could be better, specifically in the cloud. We had bad experiences with the cloud. We were using Azure and we found some security issues in terms of ransomware. We relied on the cloud backup, however, the data in the cloud ended up also getting corrupted due to the ransomware. Data security is a huge concern on the cloud, in our experience.

The scalability could be more effective.

I've been using the solution for about two years at this point.

The stability is okay, however, it isn't as stable as we would like it to be. There could be some improvement.

We had issues with ransomware getting into the cloud backup and causing troubles for us. It's not as secure on the cloud as it needs to be.

The scalability could be better. It isn't quite where we need it just yet.

We currently have 20 people using the solution. They are backing up the server time and users.

We've been satisfied with the level of support we get from technical support. They are helpful and responsive. They've been good overall.

The initial setup is not complex. It's very easy and very straightforward. A company should have no trouble with the process of deployment.

The licensing is pretty good. If you have it set up correctly, it allows the solution to take on multiple jobs.

What other advice do I have?

We have experience in both on-premises and cloud deployment models.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. While the on-premises deployment seems to be working well for us, the cloud has given us problems.

Microsoft Azure
Thiago Souza
Solutions Architect at Net Place
MSP
Simple and easy to use and manage

• "One of the most valuable features is the simplicity of the solution's administration."
  • "While the Veeam Backup Replication tool can mostly back up all the data in the environment, the AIX from IBM backup capabilities nowadays could stand improvement as they are not featured on a single pane of glass."

What is our primary use case?

We are familiar with all the versions. As resellers we can sell any version of the solution.

Our use cases involve  Veeam or Hyper V infrastructure. They concern physical servers, Office 365, complete solution specs, a mold self, the Como workloads and Oracle SAP.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the simplicity of the solution's administration. I like its rental capabilities, as well as the backup data, replication abilities, in respect of the current Veeam or the backup servers to the Cloud provider. Disaster recovery is also simple and very easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

While the Veeam Backup Replication tool can mostly back up all the data in the environment, the AIX from IBM backup capabilities nowadays could stand improvement as they are not featured on a single pane of glass. A consultation is required for its administration. As such, the integration of AIX would be welcome.

While Veeam Backup & Replication is a complete solution, it would be nice to have the Veeam server on Linux. The availability of the Server Manager only on Windows installation should be addressed.

I have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for around two or three years.

The solution is stable and allows for ease of use.

The solution is very scalable. Once the license is attended to, there is not much need to concern oneself with new implementations or changes to the installation process. As such the solution is scalable, stable and very friendly to use.

I rate the technical support as a ten out of ten. Veeam boasts a wide documentation forum in which most issues can be resolved. When there is a need to engage their support services, we have found them to be straightforward and very quick to resolve the issue.

Taking into account the setups and boss configurations, the deployment takes from two to three days and is very simple to do. With the right partner it can be accomplished pretty quickly and simply.

Deployment and maintenance involves two or three people. It is quite easy.

We evaluated ARC server and Capizec. We are a reseller and implementation company, so we handle both of these aspects as concerns the software of many different back up tools, but Veeam lags far behind the competition. The others use WAN and are our first choice.

In comparison with Veeam Backup & Replication, the license form and attendant specs of the competitors make things quite easy.

What other advice do I have?

I truly like the solution. It is easy, fast and reliable when it comes to growth.

While our parent company has the solution on-premises, we also sell it as a service, as we are Veeam partners.

We have a variety of client types and sizes.

Chris Childerhose
Lead Infrastructure Architect at ThinkON
ExpertTop 5
By moving the Veeam server to a physical server and creating a Proxy server on each of the hosts we are able to leverage SAN based backup which is very fast.

• "Features with the most value are Instant VM Recovery, SQL Explorer and Exchange Explorer."
  • "Physical backup is always where room for improvement could be but Veeam has always stated they are not going in that direction."

What is our primary use case?

Veeam is our primary backup system used with the DD2500 for the repository.  We use Veeam 9.5 Update 3 on a physical Windows 2016 server with Proxy servers deployed 1 per host in our HA Cluster.  We also use the Enterprise Plus licensing for Nimble Snapshot Integration for backups and this allows our backup window to be reduced.

How has it helped my organization?

With moving the Veeam server to a physical server and creating a Proxy server on each of the hosts we are able to leverage SAN based backup which is very fast. Jobs are completed overnight and never run in to the business hours.

What is most valuable?

Features with the most value are Instant VM Recovery, SQL Explorer and Exchange Explorer.  Allowing our Veeam Agents access to the repositories for backups is another big plus.

What needs improvement?

Physical backup is always where room for improvement could be but Veeam has always stated they are not going in that direction, however, with Veeam Endpoint Backup physical server backup is possible.

More than five years.

Stability has always been the best part of Veeam and never has there been an issue with this.

The scalability of Veeam is endless depending on your needs and there were no issues for us.

Customer service is always been top notch and I rate it a 10/10.

Technical support is 10/10. They are always fast with responding to tickets and help you in the best way possible. They even arrange discussions with Architects if you have questions on best practices or environment setup.

We still use Symantec Backup Exec but only due to having physical Exchange 2010 servers. Once we virtualize this will be decommissioned. Having Veeam Endpoint Backup may be the alternate solution to fast track this.

Initial setup was very straightforward and there never seem to be issues with Veeam.

We completed the implementation in-house using local resources.

ROI has been about 6 months.

Be sure as always to evaluate products, get licensing costs, etc.  Choose what is right for your business model.

No other options were evaluated as we knew Veeam was one of the better solutions for Virtual Backup.

What other advice do I have?

Veeam is a great product and always works. The product setup is easy and learning of the product for someone technical is straightforward. I look forward to the improvements in this product as it progresses.

Download our free Veeam Backup & Replication Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.