Atul Dond
Sr. Executive Admin at a tech consulting company with 11-50 employees
An easy initial setup with technical support and the ability to handle multiple jobs

• "The initial setup is very easy."
  • "The stability could be better, specifically in the cloud."

What is most valuable?

The VMR is the solution's most valuable aspect.

There is a great catchup backup quality to the solution.

We can have multiple jobs going so long as we have the proper licensing in effect. It's quite helpful.

The initial setup is very easy.

Technical support has been very good. They're helpful.

What needs improvement?

While we used the cloud and on-premises deployment models, on the cloud we found we had some issues and we moved to everything on-premises to counteract that.

The solution needs to fix its incremental sizing. Currently, we are facing an issue with the incremental backup. For example, with a normal user laptop, it is taking a huge amount of incremental backup on a daily basis - more than two, three DBS it is taking place on a daily basis. Much improvement is needed. Though the compression rate is good, what exactly they are backing up on daily basis for such a great extent is unresolved. We want to understand why this is happening.

The stability could be better, specifically in the cloud. We had bad experiences with the cloud. We were using Azure and we found some security issues in terms of ransomware. We relied on the cloud backup, however, the data in the cloud ended up also getting corrupted due to the ransomware. Data security is a huge concern on the cloud, in our experience.

The scalability could be more effective.

I've been using the solution for about two years at this point.

The stability is okay, however, it isn't as stable as we would like it to be. There could be some improvement.

We had issues with ransomware getting into the cloud backup and causing troubles for us. It's not as secure on the cloud as it needs to be.

The scalability could be better. It isn't quite where we need it just yet.

We currently have 20 people using the solution. They are backing up the server time and users.

We've been satisfied with the level of support we get from technical support. They are helpful and responsive. They've been good overall.

The initial setup is not complex. It's very easy and very straightforward. A company should have no trouble with the process of deployment.

The licensing is pretty good. If you have it set up correctly, it allows the solution to take on multiple jobs.

What other advice do I have?

We have experience in both on-premises and cloud deployment models.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. While the on-premises deployment seems to be working well for us, the cloud has given us problems.

Microsoft Azure
Thiago Souza
Solutions Architect at Net Place
MSP
Simple and easy to use and manage

• "One of the most valuable features is the simplicity of the solution's administration."
  • "While the Veeam Backup Replication tool can mostly back up all the data in the environment, the AIX from IBM backup capabilities nowadays could stand improvement as they are not featured on a single pane of glass."

What is our primary use case?

We are familiar with all the versions. As resellers we can sell any version of the solution.

Our use cases involve  Veeam or Hyper V infrastructure. They concern physical servers, Office 365, complete solution specs, a mold self, the Como workloads and Oracle SAP.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the simplicity of the solution's administration. I like its rental capabilities, as well as the backup data, replication abilities, in respect of the current Veeam or the backup servers to the Cloud provider. Disaster recovery is also simple and very easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

While the Veeam Backup Replication tool can mostly back up all the data in the environment, the AIX from IBM backup capabilities nowadays could stand improvement as they are not featured on a single pane of glass. A consultation is required for its administration. As such, the integration of AIX would be welcome.

While Veeam Backup & Replication is a complete solution, it would be nice to have the Veeam server on Linux. The availability of the Server Manager only on Windows installation should be addressed.

I have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for around two or three years.

The solution is stable and allows for ease of use.

The solution is very scalable. Once the license is attended to, there is not much need to concern oneself with new implementations or changes to the installation process. As such the solution is scalable, stable and very friendly to use.

I rate the technical support as a ten out of ten. Veeam boasts a wide documentation forum in which most issues can be resolved. When there is a need to engage their support services, we have found them to be straightforward and very quick to resolve the issue.

Taking into account the setups and boss configurations, the deployment takes from two to three days and is very simple to do. With the right partner it can be accomplished pretty quickly and simply.

Deployment and maintenance involves two or three people. It is quite easy.

We evaluated ARC server and Capizec. We are a reseller and implementation company, so we handle both of these aspects as concerns the software of many different back up tools, but Veeam lags far behind the competition. The others use WAN and are our first choice.

In comparison with Veeam Backup & Replication, the license form and attendant specs of the competitors make things quite easy.

What other advice do I have?

I truly like the solution. It is easy, fast and reliable when it comes to growth.

While our parent company has the solution on-premises, we also sell it as a service, as we are Veeam partners.

We have a variety of client types and sizes.

Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Chris Childerhose
Lead Infrastructure Architect at ThinkON
ExpertTop 5
By moving the Veeam server to a physical server and creating a Proxy server on each of the hosts we are able to leverage SAN based backup which is very fast.

• "Features with the most value are Instant VM Recovery, SQL Explorer and Exchange Explorer."
  • "Physical backup is always where room for improvement could be but Veeam has always stated they are not going in that direction."

What is our primary use case?

Veeam is our primary backup system used with the DD2500 for the repository.  We use Veeam 9.5 Update 3 on a physical Windows 2016 server with Proxy servers deployed 1 per host in our HA Cluster.  We also use the Enterprise Plus licensing for Nimble Snapshot Integration for backups and this allows our backup window to be reduced.

How has it helped my organization?

With moving the Veeam server to a physical server and creating a Proxy server on each of the hosts we are able to leverage SAN based backup which is very fast. Jobs are completed overnight and never run in to the business hours.

What is most valuable?

Features with the most value are Instant VM Recovery, SQL Explorer and Exchange Explorer.  Allowing our Veeam Agents access to the repositories for backups is another big plus.

What needs improvement?

Physical backup is always where room for improvement could be but Veeam has always stated they are not going in that direction, however, with Veeam Endpoint Backup physical server backup is possible.

More than five years.

Stability has always been the best part of Veeam and never has there been an issue with this.

The scalability of Veeam is endless depending on your needs and there were no issues for us.

Customer service is always been top notch and I rate it a 10/10.

Technical support is 10/10. They are always fast with responding to tickets and help you in the best way possible. They even arrange discussions with Architects if you have questions on best practices or environment setup.

We still use Symantec Backup Exec but only due to having physical Exchange 2010 servers. Once we virtualize this will be decommissioned. Having Veeam Endpoint Backup may be the alternate solution to fast track this.

Initial setup was very straightforward and there never seem to be issues with Veeam.

We completed the implementation in-house using local resources.

ROI has been about 6 months.

Be sure as always to evaluate products, get licensing costs, etc.  Choose what is right for your business model.

No other options were evaluated as we knew Veeam was one of the better solutions for Virtual Backup.

What other advice do I have?

Veeam is a great product and always works. The product setup is easy and learning of the product for someone technical is straightforward. I look forward to the improvements in this product as it progresses.

MN
Database Administrator / Database Architect at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Stable and scalable with all the benefits of a virtual machine

• "The solution offers the normal benefits of a virtual machine versus a physical, actual machine. It doesn't take up space, for example."
  • "It would be ideal if they could capture everything and then timestamp and back up everything up to that timestamp."

What is our primary use case?

I'm not doing anything with the the solution right now. I'm just using them for database purposes. We store databases there and applications.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution saves our organization some money as we don't need to store to a physical machine.

What is most valuable?

The solution gives me everything which is no physical machine gives, however, it is much easier to relocate to do anything with it.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, when we shut it down, it doesn't properly shut down for us.

If we need to back it up, would be even better if we could do a backup when the files are open and the applications are working. If the solution itself had that capability to backup everything consistently, across all the files, across the system just as we are using the product, then it would have huge benefits, even more than it has today. It would mean that I would not need to purchase any other party third-party products to ensure that my application or my database will work after I back it up and start it up.

It would be ideal if they could capture everything and then timestamp and back up everything up to that timestamp. Then I would not need other products and I could just use this, which would be better.

I'm currently using the solution. I've been using it over the past 12 months at least.

The stability seems to be pretty good. I haven't had issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It seems to be reliable.

I'm not sure if we have plans to increase usage. I don't make that decision in the organization.

I have a systems admin who maybe has reached out to technical support in the past. I have not, personally. I find my systems admin quite knowledgeable. When I asked him something, he knows what to do right away. I'm not sure how many cases he's faced, where he did not know the answer and then had to go somewhere to get it.

Therefore, I can't really speak to any knowledge of technical support. I don't know how they are, to be honest.

I don't really handle the installation process. I can't speak to how difficult or easy the implementation process is.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

RW
Systems Administration at Camosun College
Reliable, fixes itself, works well with SharePoint, and the support is helpful

• "It's fairly easy to manage and set up."
  • "The initial setup could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to back up our two VMware sites, and some physical boxes.

Mainly, it is used for our two VM sites at either campus.

It works with the client. We have it on a clustered SQL which works well.

We have local backups at either site, as well as some backups going to an external storage appliance. It gives us information about what is going on.

We are also using replication.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the way that our organizations function.

What is most valuable?

It's fairly easy to manage and set up.

Once you get it working, it's fairly reliable and fixes itself. It's pretty good at keeping the backups running.

It works well with SharePoint.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could be simplified. It takes a bit to find the documentation.

It takes some time to get through the knowledge base and the changes in the versions over time.

Trying to find everything on how to configure it and set it up can get frustrating in trying to sort it out.

I have been using this solution for three to four years.

I am using version 10.

This solution is stable. Once we have all of the backups working, it never has any issues, except for the server going off, but that is a network issue or during the time that it's self-healing.

It keeps going and keeps running.

It's a scalable solution. I added one. We have a couple of proxies at either campus with one backup server with an enterprise manager on it. It works well.

I am the only person in our organization who is using this solution.

I have used technical support in three or four cases. They were able to help me. They are pretty good. I would rate them a nine out of ten.

We were using Microsoft Data Protection Manager and NetBackup. We decided to go with Veeam after testing it out, as it seemed to work better than the other products we were using.

The initial setup is okay.

It just took a while to try to sort out what is going on with it.

What other advice do I have?

Review the documentation and their knowledge base on how to set it up and configure it.

It takes a bit to get it sorted out and to figure it out, but once you get it working it just keeps working.

I would rate Veeam Backup Replication a nine out of ten.

EH
IT Manager at a legal firm with 51-200 employees
Scalable, reliable, and consistent

• "The solution just works consistently. I never have issues with it."
  • "I have issues with the licensing."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for disaster recovery, replication, and stacking up all the endpoints using the product's endpoint component.

What is most valuable?

Setting up the replication is very simple.

The solution just works consistently. I never have issues with it.

The product is stable.

The scalability is excellent.

What needs improvement?

I have issues with the licensing.

The solution isn't ideal for small companies or systems. It's much more geared towards larger entities.

I've been dealing with the solution for eight years.

The stability is excellent. The solution just runs. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze It's extremely reliable.

The scalability has been great. I can pretty much do whatever I need to. The problem is the licensing. Scalability equals licensing and that costs quite a bit.

The solution is best for businesses that are larger - those that have got multiple systems, and by that I mean about 20-plus systems, that need to be protected.

I have no issues with technical support. They have been helpful and responsive and I am satisfied with the level of service I get.

The initial setup of it has a learning curve that is a little bit steep, however, you quickly get a hang of it.

The solution is quite expensive, and that becomes an issue if you need to scale. Costs add up quite quickly. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how good your product is, if it's not affordable, you're not going to get people behind it.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an end-user.

My company uses both private cloud and on-premise deployment models.

The solution is a very good product for what it does.

I'd rate the product at a nine out of ten.

If this is a good solution or not for a company depends on the company size and what it wants to achieve. If your company is about 15 to 20 people and you just need to have backup and recovery and not have to worry about 24/7 uptime, then I wouldn't recommend Veeam for you. However, if you need something that is up 24/7 and you can quickly recover, then I would say go with Veeam. For big systems, I'd say you'd go with Veeam, and that it works best as an onsite system. When you start moving to the cloud, and when you need to back up the data for the company, you've got other systems that also can handle it.

Private Cloud
Stephan Warreyn
GF at Innopact GmbH
Good integration with storage systems and great support

• "The integration with some storage systems like HP or Nutanix and great support are the most valuable features. You get productivity support. You get a response within one hour, even in the evening or night. The functionality of the whole software is good."
  • "The whole graphical user interface is very easy, but the details are hidden deeply and aren't easily visible. You cannot easily see the details and explore or choose the settings. We should be able to easily explore various settings and options. If you can see more details while choosing the settings or setting it up, it helps in getting the software running easily. For example, in Microsoft Office, you can see much more in the interface than in Veeam Backup & Replication. It is a complex software. It is not easy to use, and you must know what to do and where to do. The user manual has more than a thousand pages. They should give some direct information through the software and improve the software. On their website, they can have some videos and step-by-step information to make us come straight to our goals."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for taking backup from virtual machines, quick migration from one host to another, and instant file restore from the exchange or file server. The most important use is to do the daily backup and have business continuity at the highest level.

What is most valuable?

The integration with some storage systems like HP or Nutanix and great support are the most valuable features. You get productivity support. You get a response within one hour, even in the evening or night. The functionality of the whole software is good.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for six years.

It is stable, and that's the reason for using this software for about six years.

It is scalable. We have only two users, and they are administrators.

Their technical support is great. You get a response within one hour, even in the evening or night.

I have used Acronis.

The installation was straightforward. It was not so difficult. It was done in hours, but it depends on the depth of your installation, number of machines, and what you consider as the installation.

I did it myself because I am a consultant as well as an integrator.

Its software solution has a fee.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I have a good experience with this. I plan to keep using this product, but I am making comparisons with another solution, which provides better and higher performance when you have some synchronizing job for business continuity.

I would rate Veeam Backup & Replication a nine out of ten.

VS
Software Security Architect at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
High scalability, powerful stability, and best monitoring and performance

• "Its stability and scalability were the main reasons for going for this solution. It is highly scalable, and its stability is also powerful. It has a friendly interface, and its monitoring and performance are the best in the market."
  • "The orchestration feature can be improved. They can improve the virtual machine orchestration to make it similar to VMware. They can also provide an option to automate the backup and recovery and schedule a backup."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for deploying machine backup and for recovery from a disaster recovery site. We also use it for file backup. For the database backup, we use the software embedded in the SQL Server.

What is most valuable?

Its stability and scalability were the main reasons for going for this solution. It is highly scalable, and its stability is also powerful.

What needs improvement?

The orchestration feature can be improved. They can improve the virtual machine orchestration to make it similar to VMware. They can also provide an option to automate the backup and recovery and schedule a backup.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is very stable. This is the main reason why we chose Veeam for this client and not VMware.

It is very scalable. This is another reason why we chose Veeam for backup and recovery for this client. It allows us to scale to many other projects. This project is very big. It involves more than 70 virtual machines in the production environment, and it is possible to scale to more than 100 virtual machines.

We didn't face any problems with this solution.

In the past, we also used VMware orchestration for VMware backup and recovery. Veeam is more stable and scalable, and its price is more attractive than VMware.

It was easy for our deployment engineers. The deployment took a maximum of one week. In my company, probably seven engineers are in charge of this. My company has been a large integrator in Romania, and we have expertise in many areas of IT. We have five to seven people for each subdomain in IT.

Its price is reasonable for a big company or a big client. It is not too much. It is cheaper than VMware.

We tested VMware and Veeam solutions, and we chose Veeam for this project because our client is a public institution and required a very stable solution. Veeam is more stable than VMware, and our client preferred Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Veeam Backup & Replication a nine out of ten. There are some features that they need to improve in Veeam, but it is perfect for most of the companies in Romania.

Download our free Veeam Backup & Replication Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.