SP
IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, and very stable but needs the automatically check for backups

• "The product is very simple in its design. We don't need it to perform complicated tasks."
  • "It needs to offer an automatic check for backups."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for backup and replication.

What is most valuable?

It's a very easy solution to use. It's easy for IT teams to manage, however, you don't need any special skills to really wrap your head around the product.

The product is very simple in its design. We don't need it to perform complicated tasks.

We work with the standard version, which is free.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if there was something that could assist you in managing the database more effectively.

It needs to offer an automatic check for backups.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is very stable. We don't have any issues with its reliability. It's bug and glitch-free for the most part. It doesn't crash or freeze.

We've never really tested the scalability of the product. It's my understanding that you can extend service to ten or maybe to 20 machines. It's not complicated to do that. However, I can't speak to its full potential as it relates to scalability.

We only have four people dealing with the product directly in our company.

Technical support is okay. We're satisfied with the level of service we're provided.

The initial implementation is not complex in any way. It's very straightforward.

While we work with the standard version of the solution, if you want to upgrade, the pricing is too high. They could work to make it more affordable for the Polish market. It's too high for most companies to afford. If it was more affordable, it could be more accessible.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Veeam.

We're using the standard version of the solution.

While I'd advise others to look at other companies to compare, I do recommend Veeam. It's my understanding that 60% of IT companies use Veeam. It's very popular.

Overall, I'd rate the solution six out of ten if I were to compare it to other versions of Veeam products. It's an okay solution. If it had an automatic check for backups, I'd rate it much higher.

KS
System Administrator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to set up with good features but file copy jobs result in errors

• "The initial setup was very easy."
  • "I only ever found one error. It was when we were doing a file copy job. After using it for ten minutes, it would slow down and cause a bottleneck error."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution for backups and replication.

What is most valuable?

For the most part, all of the features are very good.

The initial setup was very easy.

What needs improvement?

I only ever found one error. It was when we were doing a file copy job. After using it for ten minutes, it would slow down and cause a bottleneck error.

It would be ideal if the product can reduce the number of errors we received.

I had been using the solution for about six months or so. It hadn't been that long.

We do seem to get many errors, especially during file copies.

Not too many people are using the solution. It was basically just myself and my colleague, and we were using it in order to evaluate it. It hasn't been used widely yet.

I've never used technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are, having never spoken with them directly. I wouldn't be able to evaluate their services.

Before working with this solution, I did not use any other similar products. In the past, I simply used a bit of HP products for certain tasks.

The initial setup is not complex or too complicated. It's very easy and quite straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

There is only one license that you can purchase. My colleague was handling the licensing details. I was looking at it more from a technical perspective and therefore can't speak to the pricing or licensing agreements that are possible.

We were basically evaluating Veritas and Veeam. We've just been evaluating both of them.

What other advice do I have?

I used the solution at my previous company. Currently, our organization is considering Veeam and Veritas and we are evaluating both to see which would be best for our company.

I would advise other users to not do file copy jobs from Veeam. It's best to just use it for replication purposes.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten overall.

Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MT
Data Protection Specialist at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A stable solution that makes it easy to backup and replicate many central sites and remote sites

• "If you have a lot of central sites and remote sites, you can easily set up the replication and make it easier."
  • "The reporting feature can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam Backup and Replication for image backups.

What is most valuable?

We use Veeam Explorer for Exchange for single item restores and to restore mailboxes, which is good. With SQL Explorer, you can access SQL, and it's got some good tools that are integrated into the product.

The Veeam physical backups for Windows is good, but I'm not sure about other operating systems. If you have a lot of central sites and remote sites, you can easily set up the replication and make it easier.

What needs improvement?

Veeam Backup and Replication is a very good product, but there's room for improvement. For example, if you have to set up multiple servers, there's a lot of work to configure and set up projects. But once it's set up, it's very easy to manage. I think you have to resize it in the data center, and then it's pretty simple. We can integrate the storage, and you can use data resizing and do a lot more.

The reporting feature can also be improved. Version 10 has come up with a better report, but version 9.4 isn't so good. I mean, it doesn't show whether we can allow customization of reports and more.

I have used Veeam Backup and Replication for one year.

Veeam Backup and Replication is very stable. I haven't faced any problems with it so far.

Their technical support is excellent. Whenever I have contacted Veeam support, they were very good, very helpful, and supportive. Their website is a very good support site as well.

The initial setup is straightforward, and it took us about an hour to deploy.

I'm told that Veeam Backup and Replication is a cost-effective solution, and it's very competitive in terms of pricing. It's cheaper, and it's going to be up ahead of the competitors in terms of pricing by sockets. Compared to other vendors, they're much cheaper, and Veeam is almost everywhere now.

What other advice do I have?

Veeam is very good.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Veeam Backup and Replication an eight.

AhmedAZZAM
Senior IT Consultant at société de services et d'ingénierie en informatique
MSP
Easy to deploy with good snapshots and instant recovery capabilities

• "The solution is very easy to deploy."
  • "The pricing could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used primarily for backup and replication.

What is most valuable?

The solution is the best product to backup and replicate in a real-time virtual platform.

This is the only product in the world that can do the two actions.

You can use a snapshot from many types of storage and restores granular items and functionality from the exchange, email, or any active data storage object.

You can do instant recovery, which is quite helpful. If you have any problems, you can start your Veeam from the backup and use it to restore, and it will do it in the background.

The solution is very easy to deploy.

The solution scales quite well. The performance has been good.

We've found the solution to be very stable so far.

Overall, it's a very good product.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved. They should work to make it less expensive.

In one case, the solution did not support a backup from EIX Unix from IBM. This is the only handicap I've found in relation to the product.

I've been using the solution for about three years at this point. It's been a while.

The solution is quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite reliable. The performance is good.

We've deployed the solution for 10 to 20 customers.

The solution can scale. If a company needs to expand, it can do so.

I've had some previous experience with technical support, and I don't really have any complaints. They were knowledgeable and responsive and I would say I've been satisfied with their assistance overall.

The solution is very easy to deploy. It's one of the selling points of the product.

The pricing is increasingly becoming more and more expensive. In 2020, it was a good price. After the last version, 10, the price has been very, very high.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten overall. If it weren't for the pricing issues, I'd likely rate it higher. It's a really great solution in general.

CA
Director of Information Technology and Communications at Enertotal sa esp
Stable, scalable, easy to setup, offer good support

• "It's not complex to replicate and back up the system."
  • "I would like to see the replication and a recovery plan of the servers in the cloud. It's very important."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for virtualization with VMware. I have approximately 50 servers. We also use it for replication of the file server.

How has it helped my organization?

There haven't seen any changes to the way the organization has improved.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for three months.

We use one of the first versions of this product.

It's a stable product. I would rate it an eight out of ten.

It's a scalable solution.

In our company, we have one administrator and one other operator who use it. One person for each server.

Based on the orders we receive, we will continue to use this product.

Technical support is good. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

Previously, I was using IBM Spectrum.

Three months ago, I made the decision to change to Veeam Backup & Replication because IBM solutions are expensive.

IBM is very good software, but the problem is the cost. I would rate IBM a ten out of ten.

I was also using Acronis, but I wasn't sure of it. I did not have the experience with it.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's easy.

It's not complex to replicate and back up the system.

We used an integrator, reseller, and a public consultant, which was very expensive.

The experience was good but it was a bit of a process with a bit of a struggle.

This is an expensive product, so reducing the cost would be an improvement. The difference between IBM and Veeam Backup & Replication is insignificant.

It is approximately $4,000 to $5,000 for the purchase of the product and I paid an additional $2,000 for the renewal.

What other advice do I have?

For large enterprise companies, I would suggest IBM, but for small companies, I would recommend Veeam Backup & Replication.

Enrico Boseli
CTO at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Top-notch replication and reporting

• "The replication feature has proven to be the most valuable feature for us."
  • "Sometimes Veeam is not that effective when it comes to legacy environments."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam to back up our customer's processes. We use it to save and store data and to replicate it from one site to another for data replication and disaster recovery.

In total, about 30 employees use this solution.

What is most valuable?

The replication feature has proven to be the most valuable feature for us.

The backup feature is good, but the replication as a technology at the time we chose Veeam was really effective.

Also, this solution is extremely user-friendly. They recently added a new reporting feature which has been really good.

What needs improvement?

Overall, it's a great technology; it's a great product. But Veeam has always been dedicated to the virtual environment — mostly the Intel virtual environment. In our market, the Italian market, there are many companies that have legacy environments that need to be backed up, and sometimes Veeam is not that effective when it comes to legacy environments.

Veeam Backup & Replication is very stable and reliable.

We installed it on-prem according to our customer's specifications. I would say it's a good product with fine scalability. I've never tried it in a very large environment, so I can't speak for large enterprises; however, I do know that some large companies use it.

The customer service is good and reliable.

The initial setup was very easy.

We resell perpetual licenses. We sell monthly licenses, too. Although the pricing could always be better, I'd say it's fair — it's not overpriced.

What other advice do I have?

Veeam Backup & Replication is a great product for a virtual environment — it's really effective.

From a technical point of view, it's very effective — I think they're doing great. Year after year, they announce many new features; they are definitely keeping up to date with the times. Many of their competitors have also released some sort of hardware as a repository together with their software. Still, I think that Veeam will stay software-only, which is fine. I think they're doing good.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Veeam Backup & Replication a rating of eight.

MM
Key Customer Manager at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Easy to install with good virtualization and the capability to scale

• "For virtualization it's perfect."
  • "The pricing could be better."

What is most valuable?

For virtualization it's perfect.

The solution is very simple to install. The support and maintenance are also very easy.

The solution can scale.

For the most part, the stability is okay.

What needs improvement?

The solution is pretty much the same as a solution such as Comet, however, the only difference is that this is a bit weaker and not so strong at covering the applications and the physical servers side.

This solution is very young and they don't have a lot of references.

For physical servers and some applications like SAP and databases, they're less good.

It's not quite as secure as Comet.

The pricing could be better.

I've been using the solution for more than five years.

The stability is okay. It's not as good as Comet. Veeam is stable, however, it's not quite optimized correctly.

The solution is scalable, however, Comet is better in this regard. That said, if a company would like to expand, they can do so.

We have about 2,000 users on the solution. We have about 15 customers using the product.

Technical support is fine. They are helpful and responsive. We're satisfied with the level of service they provide.

I've also used Comet, which I would describe as better almost across the board, except for the virtualization.

The installation is pretty easy. It's not too complex.

It's 20% faster to install than Comet. It doesn't take too long to deploy.

Once everything is set up, it's very easy to maintain everything.

The solution keeps getting more and more expensive. They should work on the pricing.

Every year, they seem to raise the price by 10-15%. They used to be cheap. Now they are costly.

What other advice do I have?

We have the solution deployed both on-premises and on the cloud.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We're quite satisfied with the solution overall.

I'd recommend this solution to others.

Ali Mansouri
Network System Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Strong backup integrity, high backup and replication performance, and reliable

• "I have found one of the most valuable features to be the integrity of the backups."
  • "think backing up from physical servers and ransomware security needs some improvements."

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be used for backing up data such as virtual machines, data servers, and applications.

How has it helped my organization?

We was concern about ransomware attack and with Veeam now we are protected. Thnaks Veeam

What is most valuable?

I have found one of the most valuable features to be the integrity of the backups. It does a great job at taking backups of physical servers and doing replications. The integration with their storage is done well.

What needs improvement?

I think backing up from physical servers and ransomware security needs some improvements. However, they have improved in the newer release by encrypting the backup server.

In upcoming releases, I do not want the UI to change, this is important for individuals using the solution. If there are many changes then they have to keep learning the UI over and over again making it difficult.

I have been using the solution for approximately five years.

The solution is stable.

In my experience, I have found the solution to be stable. You are able to scale out to repositories well. You can add all servers together as a bundle and use them as a scale-out repository.

The technical support is great. They have comprehensive FAQ information that can be searched for whatever your needs are.

I have used Veritas in the past and it does a better job at backing up servers.

Please, take a look at my Veeam Backup and Replication course

👉Get Full Veeam Backup Course Zero to Hero

The installation is simple, it takes less than 15 minutes.

This solution requires a license and the organizations I was involved in were using an enterprise license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend using this solution to others.

I rate Veeam Backup Replication a ten out of ten.

Download our free Veeam Backup & Replication Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.