AF
Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to install and understand, but it should be specified that the DR component must be out of the domain to protect against ransomware

• "I like that the solution is very simple to install."
  • "The DR component should be part of the comprehensive package, not separate."

What is our primary use case?

We use the latest version, although I do not recall exactly which one.

We use the solution for our regular backups and replication. While I have proposed that we also use it for DR, I have been informed that this component in Veeam comes with a cost. Perhaps in the future we will do this.

What is most valuable?

I like that the solution is very simple to install. The setup is not complex.

The good thing about the solution is that it's easy to understand, implement and take back data and resources. It's not complex.

What needs improvement?

The solution is too expensive. While I feel the DR component to be very straightforward and simple, I have been informed by management that it is overly expensive, although I do not have the full financial information at my disposal to verify this on my own.

The DR component should be part of the comprehensive package, not separate.

Ransomware attacks present an issue. Veeam should make it clear that the server needs to be out of the domain when it comes to ensuring that there is no ransomware attack or security breach. This is an issue of primary importance. An ex-colleague of mine told me that when a ransomware attack occurred, the re-set team, which dealt with a similar Veeam setup, ensured that the server was not part of the domain. Specifying that the server must be out of the domain will ensure that no ransomware attacks will occur. This needs to be locally authenticated.

I have been using Veeam Backup & Replication over the course of the past year.

It is easy to take back data and resources.

I have not had occasion to make use of tech support, although this was utilized in my previous company, where I was doing incorporation consulting.

The solution is very simple to install. It is not complex. The implementation is easy.

While I do not have all the financial information at my disposal, I understand from management that the DR component is too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We have around 5,000 employees using the solution in my organization.

While the product is good, I would recommend that one be certain to have his Veeam server out of the domain. It should be locally authenticated.

I rate Veeam Backup & Replication as a seven out of ten.

DR
IT Analyst at Deschutes County
Rock solid, great scalability, and great support

• "It is a rock-solid backup solution. That's all, and that's what we were asking for."
  • "They fixed everything that I was hoping for. It is pretty good. There were a few things in 9.x that I was wishing for, and they came true in version 10. We were looking for retention without having to make a copy job. We're getting ready to migrate m365 to the cloud. I haven't dived into it to make sure, but I wish the m365 backup would integrate into the current console so that we don't have to use two different consoles."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is about a hundred VMR servers and maybe a handful of agents.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization. I don't have to spend all day troubleshooting backups, so it has freed up a lot of time.

What is most valuable?

It is a rock-solid backup solution. That's all, and that's what we were asking for.

What needs improvement?

They fixed everything that I was hoping for. It is pretty good. There were a few things in 9.x that I was wishing for, and they came true in version 10. We were looking for retention without having to make a copy job.

We're getting ready to migrate m365 to the cloud. I haven't dived into it to make sure, but I wish the m365 backup would integrate into the current console so that we don't have to use two different consoles.

I have been using this solution for maybe two years. I use it daily.

It is rock solid. We didn't have any issues.

Its scalability is great. They have scale-out backup repositories where you can add more extents, so it'll grow with you. You just buy more space or another server and then add it into the scale-out backup repository.

Primarily, there are six users, and I'm the primary one. We're all in the operation center.

Their technical support is great. They're quick, very knowledgeable, and very proficient. I would give them a ten out of ten.

We used Unitrends before this, and it was constant babysitting. It worked great for that time period, but once we migrated to VMware, we decided to try one of the industry standards. It has really paid off for us. Unitrends was quite a bit more expensive.

Now that I understand it, it would probably be simple, but initially, it was a kind of interesting concept. It was a little bit complex, and we had a vendor who configured it for us, but we battled it until we got it all configured the way we wanted. The biggest issue was the space for making the backups. We didn't realize how much space we would use.

What other advice do I have?

Don't waste your time. Go ahead and do it.

I would rate Veeam Backup & Replication a ten out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EG
Systems Technician at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A reliable backup solution with a straightforward interface

• "I think the interface is straightforward"
  • "Technical support can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam to backup all the virtual machines and all the company data.

How has it helped my organization?

It's a backup solution. The only way it has improved the organization is by giving us a modern and robust backup solution. The previous solution wasn't complex, lacked features, and was abandoned.

What is most valuable?

I think the interface is straightforward. It's not complex. The other thing I like is that it usually works very well.

What needs improvement?

Technical support can be improved. Cloud backup could also be better. It would be better if there were an option to back up and then manually attach to storage. It's possible on-premises, but this isn't possible on the cloud.

I've been using Veeam Backup & Replication for two years.

I consider it to be very stable.

It depends on the license. If we have more laws, more data to back up, then it's possible to do it. It's very scalable. It's only an issue of licenses and if it's necessary to increase the bandwidth and if it's necessary to increase the number of proxy servers. It's very scalable, and the product has no limits.

We had issues with the technical support. We had a very good response for some incidents and a very bad one for other incidents. It isn't homogeneous. It's a bit heterogeneous. It has a lot to do with the support engineers that deal with your case.

We did look at other options. The other solutions I was looking at weren't good enough.

The on-premises installation was very simple, but the on cloud installation has been more complex. It took us about one week for on-premises and three weeks for cloud deployment.

We used a reseller to implement the solution.

It's the market price. It isn't expensive, nor is it cheap.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise potential users to consider this solution and analyze it. See if this could be a good solution for their use case. Even though there's room for improvement, I believe it's a good solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Veeam Backup & Replication an eight.

Stefan Schneider
Lead Engineer Storage at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Great support, easy restore feature, and quite scalable and stable

• "Its ease of use for restore is really good. For Exchange, the Exchange Active Directory is great."
  • "The implementation of the features can be improved. Currently, there is no segregation of duty. Normally, any backup software or client service software is implemented in a way where one person is responsible for the implementation of the server, and one is responsible for the client, but Veeam Backup & Replication is not implemented in that way. Therefore, restores don't work like that. The backup guys have to do the restores, which is not a good thing. Its pricing should also be improved. It is quite expensive."

What is our primary use case?

It is used for the virtual environment, which includes virtual Windows servers being on ESX or Hyper-V. It is also used for databases and Exchange in these environments.

We are using version 10. The latest version is 11, but we are not eager to use that because it came out only two weeks ago, and that is not enough for us.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The implementation of the features can be improved. Currently, there is no segregation of duty. Normally, any backup software or client service software is implemented in a way where one person is responsible for the implementation of the server, and one is responsible for the client, but Veeam Backup & Replication is not implemented in that way. Therefore, restores don't work like that. The backup guys have to do the restores, which is not a good thing.

Its pricing should also be improved. It is quite expensive.

I have been using this solution for more than 12 months.

It is quite stable, but you cannot compare it to IBM Spectrum Protect. IBM Spectrum Protect is more stable than Veeam.

It is quite scalable. We are planning to increase its usage. Its scalability is linear. You have more and more virtual systems and fewer physical systems. IBM Spectrum Protect is more for physical systems, and Veeam is for virtual systems.

Their technical support is great. I would rate them a ten out of ten.

It is complex. You certainly need some external guidance for this. The deployment itself is not a big thing. It is the creation of the architecture that is complex. You have to create an architecture that fits your needs.

We can do it ourselves.

Veeam is quite expensive. There are no additional costs to the licensing fees. IBM Spectrum Protect is also expensive.

They should improve its pricing. They raise the price every time there is an increase in the features of the product. They should think twice about that.

We had a look around, but we decided on Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Veeam Backup & Replication an eight out of ten.

Chen Bar Sinai
HR Manager at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Fast restore performance, priced well, and helps us to recover from accidental changes

• "The most valuable feature is that I can back up the whole machine and then restore it relatively fast."
  • "When you want to restore files, you first need to restore the machine, and then you have to mount it, and then restore the files."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Veeam for SQL and file server backups.

How has it helped my organization?

This product helps because when something has changed that we didn't know about or didn't want to be modified, and we find out about it the following day, we can go back to exactly where we were and when it worked perfectly.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that I can back up the whole machine and then restore it relatively fast. The restore can be done in a few minutes.

What needs improvement?

When you want to restore files, you first need to restore the machine, and then you have to mount it, and then restore the files. I wish it were like Symantec, where I can search for a file and it will give me the latest version, no matter where it is. It could be on tape or on disk, and it still restores the latest version.

We have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for between five and six years.

Veeam has 100% stability and I have had no problems with it.

I have not needed to rely on scalability, although it can scale relatively easily. It is only a matter of licensing. The applicability to different sizes of organizations depends on the use cases.

I haven't had any issues with technical support. I'm using a third-party for support and it is working well. In addition, Veeam checks in with me once a year to ask how things are and see if there is anything that needs to be improved.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

The price of this product is very good. In fact, this is why we acquired it in the first place. It was relatively cheap and also good.

What other advice do I have?

I do not use the entire package with all of the features. However, there is nothing I need that isn't in the product. My advice for anybody who is considering Veeam is that for a small or medium-sized business, it is enough. However, for a larger organization, I would suggest Commvault.

SP
IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, and very stable but needs the automatically check for backups

• "The product is very simple in its design. We don't need it to perform complicated tasks."
  • "It needs to offer an automatic check for backups."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for backup and replication.

What is most valuable?

It's a very easy solution to use. It's easy for IT teams to manage, however, you don't need any special skills to really wrap your head around the product.

The product is very simple in its design. We don't need it to perform complicated tasks.

We work with the standard version, which is free.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if there was something that could assist you in managing the database more effectively.

It needs to offer an automatic check for backups.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is very stable. We don't have any issues with its reliability. It's bug and glitch-free for the most part. It doesn't crash or freeze.

We've never really tested the scalability of the product. It's my understanding that you can extend service to ten or maybe to 20 machines. It's not complicated to do that. However, I can't speak to its full potential as it relates to scalability.

We only have four people dealing with the product directly in our company.

Technical support is okay. We're satisfied with the level of service we're provided.

The initial implementation is not complex in any way. It's very straightforward.

While we work with the standard version of the solution, if you want to upgrade, the pricing is too high. They could work to make it more affordable for the Polish market. It's too high for most companies to afford. If it was more affordable, it could be more accessible.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Veeam.

We're using the standard version of the solution.

While I'd advise others to look at other companies to compare, I do recommend Veeam. It's my understanding that 60% of IT companies use Veeam. It's very popular.

Overall, I'd rate the solution six out of ten if I were to compare it to other versions of Veeam products. It's an okay solution. If it had an automatic check for backups, I'd rate it much higher.

KS
System Administrator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to set up with good features but file copy jobs result in errors

• "The initial setup was very easy."
  • "I only ever found one error. It was when we were doing a file copy job. After using it for ten minutes, it would slow down and cause a bottleneck error."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution for backups and replication.

What is most valuable?

For the most part, all of the features are very good.

The initial setup was very easy.

What needs improvement?

I only ever found one error. It was when we were doing a file copy job. After using it for ten minutes, it would slow down and cause a bottleneck error.

It would be ideal if the product can reduce the number of errors we received.

I had been using the solution for about six months or so. It hadn't been that long.

We do seem to get many errors, especially during file copies.

Not too many people are using the solution. It was basically just myself and my colleague, and we were using it in order to evaluate it. It hasn't been used widely yet.

I've never used technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are, having never spoken with them directly. I wouldn't be able to evaluate their services.

Before working with this solution, I did not use any other similar products. In the past, I simply used a bit of HP products for certain tasks.

The initial setup is not complex or too complicated. It's very easy and quite straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

There is only one license that you can purchase. My colleague was handling the licensing details. I was looking at it more from a technical perspective and therefore can't speak to the pricing or licensing agreements that are possible.

We were basically evaluating Veritas and Veeam. We've just been evaluating both of them.

What other advice do I have?

I used the solution at my previous company. Currently, our organization is considering Veeam and Veritas and we are evaluating both to see which would be best for our company.

I would advise other users to not do file copy jobs from Veeam. It's best to just use it for replication purposes.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten overall.

MT
Data Protection Specialist at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A stable solution that makes it easy to backup and replicate many central sites and remote sites

• "If you have a lot of central sites and remote sites, you can easily set up the replication and make it easier."
  • "The reporting feature can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam Backup and Replication for image backups.

What is most valuable?

We use Veeam Explorer for Exchange for single item restores and to restore mailboxes, which is good. With SQL Explorer, you can access SQL, and it's got some good tools that are integrated into the product.

The Veeam physical backups for Windows is good, but I'm not sure about other operating systems. If you have a lot of central sites and remote sites, you can easily set up the replication and make it easier.

What needs improvement?

Veeam Backup and Replication is a very good product, but there's room for improvement. For example, if you have to set up multiple servers, there's a lot of work to configure and set up projects. But once it's set up, it's very easy to manage. I think you have to resize it in the data center, and then it's pretty simple. We can integrate the storage, and you can use data resizing and do a lot more.

The reporting feature can also be improved. Version 10 has come up with a better report, but version 9.4 isn't so good. I mean, it doesn't show whether we can allow customization of reports and more.

I have used Veeam Backup and Replication for one year.

Veeam Backup and Replication is very stable. I haven't faced any problems with it so far.

Their technical support is excellent. Whenever I have contacted Veeam support, they were very good, very helpful, and supportive. Their website is a very good support site as well.

The initial setup is straightforward, and it took us about an hour to deploy.

I'm told that Veeam Backup and Replication is a cost-effective solution, and it's very competitive in terms of pricing. It's cheaper, and it's going to be up ahead of the competitors in terms of pricing by sockets. Compared to other vendors, they're much cheaper, and Veeam is almost everywhere now.

What other advice do I have?

Veeam is very good.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Veeam Backup and Replication an eight.

Download our free Veeam Backup & Replication Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.