Veeam Backup & Replication Overview

Veeam Backup & Replication is the #1 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Rubrik: Veeam Backup & Replication vs Rubrik

What is Veeam Backup & Replication?

Veeam® Availability Suite™ delivers something fundamentally different — Availability for the Always-On Enterprise™ — leveraging IT investments in server virtualization, modern storage and the cloud to help organizations meet today’s service-level objectives, enabling recovery of any IT service and related applications and data within seconds and minutes.

Veeam Backup & Replication is also known as Veeam Backup and Replication, Veeam Availability Suite.

Veeam Backup & Replication Buyer's Guide

Download the Veeam Backup & Replication Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Veeam Backup & Replication Customers

Vodafone, American Standard Brands, Welch’s, University of Florida, Tata Global Beverages Limited, National Bank of Abu Dhabi, Hirslanden Private Hospital Group, MacLean-Fogg Company

Veeam Backup & Replication Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Veeam Backup & Replication pricing:
  • "The pricing is good and affordable."
  • "My understanding is that it is a fairly small price point."
  • "We have increased our scalability while being able to free up senior resources from recovery activities. I estimate our overall savings to about $20,000 per year."
  • "Veeam is more reasonably priced than some competing products."
  • "I don't know what the costs are for sure, but I think that it's on a yearly basis."

Veeam Backup & Replication Reviews

Sanjeev Roy
Project Manager at renaissance group
Top 5Popular
Apr 7, 2019
Integrates Between Server and Replication Station

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case with Veeam Backup & Replication is as the intermediate agent. Veeam integrates devices between the main server and the replication station. We set this resolution between the main server and our replication machine. It is getting images from VMware. We serve up with Veeam and it responds to the daily load. With Veeam Backup & Replication, replicated servers will be picked up again from the new location station machine. Now our table updates are available automatically. We get a lot of features with Veeam and we are happy to use this solution. After shutdown, the servers… more »

• "We get a lot of features with Veeam and we are happy to use this solution. After shutdown, the servers here automatically turn off and Veeam is keeping up all this. It's tension free work."
  • "We try to compare Veeam with other solutions because we are the operations. Then we can give the answers for improvement which is the specific additional system features that other solutions provide."

What other advice do I have?

For the Veeam Backup & Replication software, we care about the system dependency on software-based, not the hardware-based licenses. For actualization concepts and hyper-connection concepts, businesses can easily use Veeam replication and instances. I would rate Veeam Backup & Replication a ten out of ten. The reason, first of all, is because Veeam provides what I need for my devices, my services, and service providers. With Veeam Backup & Replicate, I'm getting the full service of what I need.
Ola Zaher
Infrastructure Section Head at citystars Properties
Mar 26, 2019
We can now restore a single email box with all of its folder contents

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for a backup solution for our front-end servers.

• "It has helped us transfer the solution in two days instead of working for a minimum of one week to ten days."
  • "I would like for them to develop the ability to fix the way it does backups. We can't pick a backup for one database. We have to do a backup on the whole Exchange VM. I'd like for them to change it to where we can do individual backups."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution to find a good implementor who can help you during and after the implementation. I would rate it a nine out of ten. It's a good product that we can rely on, it has many features and works on many platforms. It's a very good product.
Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,209 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Achilles Lobo
Infrastructure Architect at Grupo Protege
Jan 17, 2021
Stable, scalable, and affordable

What is our primary use case?

We do backups of our hyper-real environment and our branch office environment and we have servers running on the 2012 version.

• "The solution is quite stable."
  • "The initial setup was not straightforward at all."

What other advice do I have?

A few months ago, about two months, I was in a meeting and I asked my service provider which version we were using. They said that we were using the latest version. I don't know if it's still the latest version, however, if it not the latest, it's almost the latest. We access our backup through a service provider. We're in the process of looking for more protection services to better guard against attacks. I'd advise those considering the solution to look carefully at the licensing. In the beginning, we experienced some troubles with the licensing models that were acquired by service provider…
Randall Carter
Senior Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Nov 1, 2020
Automatically adapts to your environment, offers one-click restore, and we are pleased with the support

What is our primary use case?

The main use case is performing a backup of a virtualized environment.

• "The most valuable feature is adaptability, where it automatically adapts to the environment that it's being installed on."
  • "They need full cloud integration such that an on-premises backup can be offloaded to the cloud for storage."

What other advice do I have?

I think that this is a good product across any environment. I've installed it for schools, in the financial industry, for lawyers, and places that vary in size from small to large. I've never had any issues and I recommend it. I know that there are always new features being released but at this point, there is nothing to say that I need anything more. That said, there is always room for improvement. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
JoseDa Silva
Technical Pre-Sales Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 12, 2020
User-friendly and easy to integrate

• "I can't think of any improvements yet for Veeam because they are very good. It integrates very well with Microsoft applications. It is very easy to integrate. Micro Focus can also integrate but it's more complex. You have to know the product very well to be able to integrate. While Veeam, it's very user-friendly. You don't need to have certifications or anything to work on Veeam."
  • "I like the Acronis backup solutions on the block-based part of backups or snapshots. That's a nice functionality that Veeam doesn't have."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Veeam Backup Replication a ten out of ten. In the next release, I would like for them to have block-based backups as well. But I don't know if they will do that because they've got all the functionalities to restore a system and it's working. If they would put it in, that would be fantastic, it will maybe even improve the performance when backing up. I would rate Acronis an eight out of ten. They're missing a lot and are still not very user-friendly.
Calvin Engen
CTO at F12.net
Feb 24, 2020
Reduced our overall backup windows while reducing our dedicated backup infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

Primary backup and long-term retention to protect our client data across our datacenters. Allows for incremental RPOs for VM and file-level recovery across multiple datacenters to our IT staff of more than 200 technicians. Enable fast restores and long term archival.

• "Before Veeam, we had backup infrastructure sprawl. Veeam was able to reduce our overall backup windows while reducing our dedicated backup infrastructure."
  • "Vendor integration for many of the enterprise features have allowed for us to have greater performance from our storage vendors further improving on our commitments to protect our clients' data."
  • "Multithreading of health check process: This can take too much time to process on large jobs and/or large VMs."
  • "Additional executive summary reports for the entire infrastructure would be a nice to have."
  • "One challenge that we have encountered was on the long-term retention of data. Be sure to look into a dedicated deduplication appliance."

What other advice do I have?

Since everyone's data is different, I would recommend a proof of concept project to understand how your data will be used within this solution. If you are intending to keep data for long-term retention, look at a dedicated deduplication appliance.
reviewer1266192
Group Product Specialist at a wholesaler/distributor with 201-500 employees
Reseller
May 19, 2020
A well-organized interface that is simple to use and can verify backup integrity

What is our primary use case?

We use and promote Veeam for protecting server farms. We also work with system integrators, providing them with this solution and helping them to size deals.

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to verify that backups are valid."
  • "We would like to see support for some additional storage systems."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to make sure that the sizing is correct. Having good or perfect sizing is the best thing that somebody can do for their company, and, if possible, to put more funds into analytics reporting so that they can provide intelligent sizing in advance. In fact, the biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that you never want to have the wrong sizing. Overall, I am quite satisfied with this product. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
reviewer1059954
Enterprise Chief Infrastructure Hosting & Cloud Architect with 5,001-10,000 employees
Nov 23, 2020
Good support, easy to set up, stable, and the on-premises version is doing a good job

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to back up all of the critical VMs and the critical server. It's applied on the server.

• "They provide good technical support and we are satisfied with the support we have received."
  • "The Cloud version is not ready, they need maturity and ease of deployment in terms of management."

What other advice do I have?

In the near future, we will deploy the cloud version. I would rate the Veeam Backup Replication on-premises version a ten out of ten, and for the Cloud version specifically with Azure, I would rate them a four out of ten. I don't know how it performs with other Cloud providers.
See 26 more Veeam Backup & Replication Reviews
Download our free Veeam Backup & Replication Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.