Veeam Backup & Replication Overview

Veeam Backup & Replication is the #1 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Rubrik: Veeam Backup & Replication vs Rubrik

What is Veeam Backup & Replication?

Veeam® Availability Suite™ delivers something fundamentally different — Availability for the Always-On Enterprise™ — leveraging IT investments in server virtualization, modern storage and the cloud to help organizations meet today’s service-level objectives, enabling recovery of any IT service and related applications and data within seconds and minutes.

Veeam Backup & Replication is also known as Veeam Backup and Replication, Veeam Availability Suite.

Veeam Backup & Replication Buyer's Guide

Download the Veeam Backup & Replication Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Veeam Backup & Replication Customers

Vodafone, American Standard Brands, Welch’s, University of Florida, Tata Global Beverages Limited, National Bank of Abu Dhabi, Hirslanden Private Hospital Group, MacLean-Fogg Company

Veeam Backup & Replication Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Solution Architect / Delivery Manager - Salesforce CRM - Tech Mahindra at Tech Mahindra (formerly Mahindra Satyam)
Very flexible solution, but needs more integration with cloud service providers

What is our primary use case?

I handle managed backup services for one of my clients. I implement and manage these solutions.

• "Very flexible, all-in-one solution."
  • "Needs better integration with cloud service providers."

What other advice do I have?

I am certified with the Veeam Sales Professional (VMSP) accreditation. This qualifies people to demonstrate and sell the product. I would rate this solution seven out of ten.
Reseller
It has application awareness and quick migration capabilities

What is our primary use case?

Centralized backup Remote WAN backup copy Replica Physical server backup.

How has it helped my organization?

If it backs up, then I'm sure it will restore!

What is most valuable?

Application awareness (via Windows VSS Writers, Oracle RMAN integration, etc.) Quick migration.

What needs improvement?

Dedupe capabilities.

More than five years.
Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MA
Technical Presales Consultant/ Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Rotating HDDs for offline backups use case

What is our primary use case?

Protection of virtual workloads.

What is most valuable?

Rotating HDDs for offline backups use case Instant VM recovery with vPower NFS and SureBackup, also known as Recovery Assurance by other vendors.

What needs improvement?

Relying on open source infrastructure for Veeam's architectural components instead of Microsoft for OS and DB. Support for containers, and agent-less KVM backups, and Citrix environments.
SR
Project Manager at renaissance group
Top 10Popular
Integrates Between Server and Replication Station

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case with Veeam Backup & Replication is as the intermediate agent. Veeam integrates devices between the main server and the replication station. We set this resolution between the main server and our replication machine. It is getting images from VMware. We serve up with Veeam and it responds to the daily load. With Veeam Backup & Replication, replicated servers will be picked up again from the new location station machine. Now our table updates are available automatically. We get a lot of features with Veeam and we are happy to use this solution. After shutdown, the servers… more »

• "We get a lot of features with Veeam and we are happy to use this solution. After shutdown, the servers here automatically turn off and Veeam is keeping up all this. It's tension free work."
  • "We try to compare Veeam with other solutions because we are the operations. Then we can give the answers for improvement which is the specific additional system features that other solutions provide."

What other advice do I have?

For the Veeam Backup & Replication software, we care about the system dependency on software-based, not the hardware-based licenses. For actualization concepts and hyper-connection concepts, businesses can easily use Veeam replication and instances. I would rate Veeam Backup & Replication a ten out of ten. The reason, first of all, is because Veeam provides what I need for my devices, my services, and service providers. With Veeam Backup & Replicate, I'm getting the full service of what I need.
TM
Director of Enterprise Infrastructure Services with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use, set up, and manage

What is our primary use case?

Backup and recovery.

How has it helped my organization?

Veeam was very easy to use, set up, and manage.

What is most valuable?

Backup and restores.

What needs improvement?

Support for HPE catalyst copy and cloud bank It could also improve on its cloud tier, to tier data to the cloud once it is backed up.

OZ
Infrastructure Section Head at citystars Properties
We can now restore a single email box with all of its folder contents

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for a backup solution for our front-end servers.

• "It has helped us transfer the solution in two days instead of working for a minimum of one week to ten days."
  • "I would like for them to develop the ability to fix the way it does backups. We can't pick a backup for one database. We have to do a backup on the whole Exchange VM. I'd like for them to change it to where we can do individual backups."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution to find a good implementor who can help you during and after the implementation. I would rate it a nine out of ten. It's a good product that we can rely on, it has many features and works on many platforms. It's a very good product.
Network Administrator at a wholesaler/distributor with 201-500 employees
Little to few failed backups and the replication feature has been very useful to instantly recover a VM

What is our primary use case?

VMware backup, but considering to implement Veeam's replication feature to use as part of our DR solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Reliable and easy-to-use backup and restore. Version 9.5 has been the most reliable with little to few failed backups.

What is most valuable?

Replication feature is very useful to instantly recover a VM. Not only can Veeam be used for backups, but also for DR usage as well.

What needs improvement?

Version 9.5 has been proven to be reliable, and U3a VMware 6.7 works without issues. Maybe synchronous replication.

Senior System Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
It's reliable and performs complete backups effortlessly. However, it could use a storage application.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps with process restoration. With Veeam, we never had backup or restoration issues. It is always good when performing complete backups. It always restores, when needed.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a storage application in the next version of the product.

The stability depends upon your configuration.

I don't have a problem with Veeam's scalability.

As long as you have enough storage and CPU, they know how to resolve it.

The price is…
BO
Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Gold standard for backup and recovery

What is most valuable?

The ease of use and reliability of this solution are real assets. Also, it has an ease of use to work with a third party vendor.

What needs improvement?

The virtual sandboxes seem complex to setup so I have not invested time in leveraging this feature. It would be nice if this feature was more user-friendly.

Three to five years.

This product has been very stable. Any issues that have come up are quickly resolved.

I have not experienced issues with scalability. I have deployed Veeam in two different environments for different employers of mine and both have been very solid. I am currently using ExaGrid as…
PH
Senior Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
User-friendly backup of the whole virtual server

What is our primary use case?

We are using Veeam at our college and we have been connected for a while now. We use it for backing up virtual servers in the Hyperwave and it is working very well. It works well for backing up services. We can backup Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft Sharepoint and it is actually easy to understand how to restore from it. It has an easy UI.

• "The most important part is that you actually know you have a backup of the whole virtual server."
  • "I have also been struggling with the storage and in some cases I need to move things due to performance."

What other advice do I have?

You can actually use the infrastructure you already have so you don't have to buy new hardware to actually start using it. That's the most important part about this solution.
JO
Server Administrator III with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is a good solution for backups and reporting.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this product is for backups and reporting.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the reporting feature. It is a very visual product.

What needs improvement?

I think that the tech support could be improved a bit.

I would rate the tech support an eight out of ten. It needs improvement.

I was not present during the initial implementation of the product.

I would suggest to others that they buy the full license when purchasing this solution.
KP
System Engineer at Elecon
User
It is a good product in regards to performance as well as data protection

What is our primary use case?

I use it for our VMware environment and physical servers. It is a good product, in regards to performance, as well as data protection.

How has it helped my organization?

After we bought this product, we backed up all the servers of Azure, as well as our physical servers.  The product is user-friendly.

What is most valuable?

Restore "File" and "Folder" from VM Backup in Windows, as well as Linux. AD Restore  Exchange Database SQL Database Veeam dedup and compression

What needs improvement?

In Linux, I suggest you backup for a PostgreSQL database.

HL
NSW Practice Lead with 201-500 employees
User
Replication is the most valuable feature

What is our primary use case?

Backup and replication.

How has it helped my organization?

Great RPO and RTO.

What is most valuable?

Replication.

What needs improvement?

Cross-hypervisor replication.

Enterprise Architect at SH Data Technologies
The Integration of physical agents and our cloud connect service is a valuable feature

What is our primary use case?

Until a year ago, this solution was our primary backup and recovery product. We are a cloud connect partner so we provide backups both onsite and offsite as well as replication.

• "The ntegration of physical agents with our cloud connect service is positive."
  • "Recovery speed is slow. Full recovery on large machines (1TB+) takes too long"
Technical Architect at SCC
MSP
It most valuable features are seeding and faster backups over small links

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is backup.

How has it helped my organization?

Replication.

What is most valuable?

Seeding Faster backups over small links.

What needs improvement?

DR features similar to Zerto No snapshots
WW
Architect Backup/Recovery with 1,001-5,000 employees
User
A flexible product missing some commonsense features and tools

What is our primary use case?

For multiple data centers: * Backup and recovery for VMware 2000 VMs * Windows and Linux Clients * Migrations (replication).

• "Veeam replication gives migration tools/options for VMware."
  • "I enjoy the ability to quickly search for VMs through the Veeam console."
  • "The remote SQL server has had multiple sizing issues within the logs and SQL backup space and sharing with other database apps."
  • "The product is missing some commonsense features and tools for an enterprise backup recovery product,"

What other advice do I have?

You will enjoy Veeam's resiliency. It does not break in the middle of the night if properly designed, and Veeam gives you tools to make this easier to do than other products. Users will be able to get around Veeam's shortcomings more easily if they are experienced with PowerShell scripting and watch the SQL database server (for remote SQL servers) like its your lifeline.
NM
VP Business Development with 11-50 employees
Helps us protect our IP address and critical information but needs faster recovery onsite

What is our primary use case?

Backing up VMs and it has been successful so far.

• "It has helped us to protect our IP address and critical information."
  • "The only issue on which we would like to see for improvement would be, potentially, the ability to do some different things with recovery, like faster recovery onsite."

What other advice do I have?

Right now we haven't fully exercised the solution but what I'm seeing on the backup side is pretty good. On the recovery/restore side maybe not so much. We're still validating that. So I would give it seven out of 10 overall. My advice would be, test it out and make sure it does what you want it to do. And make sure you can do what you need to get your data secure.
Sales Representative at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Reseller

What is our primary use case?

Replicate several sites using VMware, centralise backup, and 10 agencies with Hyper-V and SQL databases.

How has it helped my organization?

Get only one interface to manage all backup sites, secure them with replication, and manage outside LTO media.

What is most valuable?

Replication and restore object in Exchange boxes with possibility to select part of Microsoft directory.

What needs improvement?

Support others operation systems, e.g., AIX.  Add an archive option to support legal obligations.

Senior IS/IT Consultant, Backup D/R Specialist
Safer backups and restores, which means less time worrying

What other advice do I have?

Use a skilled consultant for the initial setup, then let him/her teach you for a day and you are set.
Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Being agentless minimized the install process for new servers.

What other advice do I have?

No special advice, other than just follow the wizard and you can start faster than another solution.
IC
Senior System Administrator at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
It is very simple and fast to power-on a replicated server, making it come online again

What other advice do I have?

It is easy, with many features, (I think) it is cheaper. Very useful for virtual environments.
RS
Lead Linux Administrator at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
We test new patches or features on a VM, which is the same as our production environment

What other advice do I have?

First of all, find out what your backup needs are. After that, try an evaluation (or free) version.
Technical Marketing Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Protects our production environment without the need to install clients on every VM.

What is most valuable?

Veeam's virtual lab is very useful for making use of existing backups for other purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

We use Veeam to protect our production environment without the need to install clients on every VM for every different MSFT applications that we have in production.

What needs improvement?

Veeam's been doing a good job in terms of delivering new features.

We have used this solution for more than 5 years.

The deployment was easy as pie.

There were no stability issues.

Our production environment is small but growing.…
Pre Sales Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Instant Recovery reduces the recovery time and enhances the business continuity results

What other advice do I have?

I always recommend using all the Veeam features, not only to just create backup jobs. Veeam is not only a backup software, it helps your organization for business continuity and disaster recovery as well.
Senior IT Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The WAN accelerator feature has been the most valuable for me. We evaluated many tools, but this was clearly better.

• "The WAN accelerator feature has been the most valuable for me. That feature reduced the time needed to complete the task from 25 days to less than a week! This is compared with the original tools used: ntbackup, robocopy and Windows Server Backup."
  • "Some support replies for a broken backup task have been "rebuild the job from scratch" and this is a bad thing to do if you have many VMs and repositories."

What other advice do I have?

If you have a complex environment, first study well how Veeam works. Having some days of training before is better than loosing some weeks after to rebuild the logical structure and jobs many times.
IT Administrator and Sr. VMware Engineer at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
there should be more manufacturers integrating their technologies, as that would allow more customers to make use of this excellent feature.​

• "The product allows us to use data more efficiently, reducing the cost of storage and backup time. It is vital to have data available in the shortest possible time."

What other advice do I have?

If you have virtualized or physical (lastest update of Veeam), you can trust in this solution. Our recovery time was reduced from many hours to a few minutes. Integration with VMware is transparent, easy to use, and intuitive. Backup storage is very efficient and using CBT saves a lot of disk space. Using tapes was greatly improved in the latest version, as well as integration with other sellers' storage products.
    Business Development Consultant at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Instant VM restore is one of the most valuable features of this product.

• "It lets you verify a backup with the least amount of effort."
    • "Offering mobile apps that give engineers a global view of his backup regime would be a "nice to have" feature."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure not to overlook the network capacity during the planning stage. This obviously depends on your backup set and has to be given more importance if your backup set is considerable.
    Senior Storage & Virtualisation Engineer (Managed Services) at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We can offer disaster recovery services for managed services customers.

• "The direct SAN backup feature perfectly integrates with our 3PAR storage infrastructure."
    • "The direct SAN backup integration can be perfected by improving the snapshot removal mechanism and process from the storage volumes."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend IT professionals who run their infrastructure in a predominantly virtual environment to go for the Veeam Backup and Replication solution. It does the job and it is relatively easy to set up.
    Technical Consultant / EUC Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    The ability of instant VM recovery is the most valuable feature. It is more stable then most other solutions in this area.

• "The ability of instant VM recovery, which means starting the backup VM and getting it online while the recovery is still happening is the most valuable feature."

What other advice do I have?

Get a consulting company to look at your setup and needs. Have them evaluate more than one backup solution and have them run a proof-of-concept so you can get a good grasp of the products. Test the two best ones, then choose the winner.
      GN
      Manager - I.T. Operations at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Enables us to restore the VM when the needs arises and for disaster recovery.

• "Enables us to restore the VM when the needs arises and for disaster recovery."
      • "Near-synchronous, better RPO and RTO snapshot-based takes a lot of space and resources."

What other advice do I have?

If they are looking for backup and recovery, Veeam is the way to go. If they are looking for a high RPO and RTO, Zerto is the way to go.
      IT Manager at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
      Running the virtual machine from within the backup gives us the chance to test the machine before restoring it.

What other advice do I have?

I am already telling others that I use this solution when I meet them in conferences and meetings.
      Master Solutions Architect (APAC) / Data Protection Specialists at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      VM backup and ease of use are the most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

Keep it up.
      Consultant infrastructures at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      Creates backups from storage snapshots. The heavy client is still needed to perform advanced tasks.

• "Replication Job base on a source HPE Catalyst store to perform a full reconstruction of our production systems on our third datacenter, which is our DRP Site."
      • "We would like to have the ability to perform more things on the web interface. The heavy client is still needed to perform advanced tasks."

What other advice do I have?

The Availability Suite is a good choice because of Veeam ONE, which gives you visibility on the whole infrastructure stack as well as reporting about how backups are doing. Just try it with the free trial license key to form your own opinion. Each business has specific needs, so you need to evaluate the product by yourself. Since the setup is very easy for a PoC, you should definitively give it a try. It out performs our expectations.
      IT Director at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
      Its ease of use and simple UI are the most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very solid product with an easy UI. If you are 90% virtualized, then it is a great product.
      Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      We are able to assure greater uptime for our servers and clients.

• "With Replication, Veeam allows us to have a duplicated VM on standby."
      • "The physical server backups and direct storage connectivity need improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to size your backup data volumes correctly. Whatever you think is enough, you will soon need more than what it may seem initially.
      Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
      The SQL table-level restore helps the customer to restore a single table instead of the entire database.

What other advice do I have?

VMware = Veeam is the best backup and replication solution. Microsoft Hyper-V = Veeam is the best backup and replication solution.
      Owner
      The biggest advantage has become the functionality of instant recovery and a synthetic full backup.

What other advice do I have?

It always depends on your needs and the client's environment. If the client has virtualization for almost all systems, then Veeam is the best way to protect them.
      Director, Information Technology at a newspaper with 51-200 employees

• "The ability to offload backup snapshots to the SAN helps with reducing the backup durations."
      • "They need to address the confusing recovery dialogue."

What other advice do I have?

I suggest that you have another set of backups than just a deduping appliance that replicates offsite. This ‘second’ backup should be stored in a secure manner considering the news of backups being taken hostage by ransomware.
      Virtualization, Storage & Data Protection Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      It is integrated with HPE storage solutions and it supports VM recovery.

What other advice do I have?

Only consider the Availability Suite if you need to monitor your virtual environment within backup processes and you have nothing implemented on it.
      Senior IT Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      With WAN acceleration, we send less data through our WAN lines. The reporting tool shows the status of the infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

Do some (at least) high-level training for the suite: If you don't want to waste time with many attempts during the installation, the best option is to understand the fundamentals of the Veeam suite. My impression is that this suite is usually reliable and very powerful.
      President & CEO at a tech services company
      One of the most important features is the self-restart feature which we use to provide remote backups.

What other advice do I have?

Veeam has been the best BDR product that we have ever used. Although it does require some expertise to set it up correctly, once it is set up it runs perfectly. Use an experienced Veeam company or consultant or spend time learning the product. It is very worthwhile Spend time to plan resources, bandwidth, etc. before installing the Veeam. Watch the Veeam process carefully in the first few weeks in order to learn what it does. It has a wide array of features so make sure you learn how to perform the various types of restores (e.g. virtual server restore, single file restore, etc.). Take…
      Professional Service/Solution Team at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      The most often used feature is a simple restore. The next most used feature is restoring a full VM due to corruption, virus or human error in managing the VM.

What other advice do I have?

Try it out, Veeam B@R give a free 30 day trial key. Seek professional advice. Take a look at the new Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365
      Data Center Engineer at Strategic Solutions of Virginia
      It drastically lowered the strain on our hosted environment during backup windows all while decreasing the amount of time the backups require for completion.
      RT
      IT Admin at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It offers granular restore points for SharePoint. I'm looking for it to support Unix/Linux platforms.

Valuable Features:

Simple VM backup & restore management console Works with both industry standard hypervisors, VMware & Hyper-V Fast and easy implementation Granular restore points for SharePoint

Improvements to My Organization:

It provides simple DR operation & management for our heterogeneous virtualisation platform.

Room for Improvement:

Besides Wintel environments, it would be good to have DR/HA for Unix/Linux platforms.

Use of Solution:

I have been using it for 1½ years.

Deployment Issues:

We have not had any issues with deployment, stability, or scalability.

Customer service is awesome.

Initial Setup:

Initial setup was straightforward because it only provides DR.

Implementation Team:

Project implementation was via a vendor team. …
      Technical Manager & Vice Chairman of the Board at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Backup speed and data compression power have helped us.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell others looking to implement this product about its pros and cons (SureBackup, data compression ratio, etc.), and would tell them to implement it on a dedicated physical server with FC-HBA. It is very easy to work with its GUI. It has a lot of features with a low (reasonable) price when compared with other backup solutions.
      Senior Implementation Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      With storage integration, it has improved the backup windows and reduced the impact on the VMs.

What other advice do I have?

It is very easy to implement and by far a better product than any I have seen so far.
      Infrastructure Senior Specialist at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
      BitLooker makes you exclude deleted file blocks, swap and hibernation files, and user files or folders.

What other advice do I have?

Consider it if you are running a totally virtualized infrastructure. And try to focus on Veeam as the single reporting tool. It is just very useful and easy.
      Specialist for System Integration at a tech vendor
      Features I like include Integrated WAN Acceleration, Instant VM Recovery and SureBackup.

What other advice do I have?

Try it and love it.
      Head of Infrastructure Division at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      Provides the ability to test the backups and replicas of backups in our backup site.

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate the Veeam product before manking any decisions. In my view, Veeam sells itself, and a team of sales and marketing is not necessary. Let your technical team evaluate and issue its opinion.
      Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Instant VM recovery reduces the time to recover an entire virtual machine.

What other advice do I have?

I am rating it as excellent, due to its advance features and functionality for virtual environment backup and replication. But I have left a little room for improvement by including non-virtual environment B&R, to avoid having IT silos in a customer’s environment. This product can certainly bring value and lot of visibility and control to virtualized IT environments. It fits very well with the virtualization and consolidation story.
      System Architect - Cloud Services at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      The system automatically tests the backups, without impacting the production systems.

What other advice do I have?

Start simple. Get it up and running. Then start investigating the many, many “cool” features that are available. Definitely take a look at future proofing technologies such as Virtual Lab, Cloud Connect for an offsite copy and SureBackup.
      Professional Services at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
      It is simple to install, configure and manage.

What other advice do I have?

If most, or all, of your environment is based on virtual machines and you want something that is simple to install, configure and manage but above all else, something that backups and restores your data successfully then Veeam is your product.
      System and network administrator at a government
      The 3-2-1 backup rule is good -- it has three copies of data, two different medias, with one off-site copy.

What other advice do I have?

There's no need to buy direct attached disks, as you can just build from scratch a “Veeam appliance” with a a big 2U 8 core Xeon server with 16 GB RAM and lot of SAS disks (at least 2 RAID). You then add Windows Server OS and the Veeam software. With this setup, you won’t need extra space, separate SANs, or network switches, except maybe for your LTO drives. Otherwise, use some VMs for Veeams and separate the proxy so you can make your big physical server a repository. Do not allow your physical server to backup your ESXi hosts with VMFS datastores, as you might not find your VMs in the VMDK…
      RA
      Solutions Engineer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
      Reseller
      You can bring back up applications within five minutes if needed. When the disk capacity is getting low, you have to clear the backup disk & then perform the backup.

What other advice do I have?

Backup is not much of a concern, but for recovery you do have to plan for additional capacity especially when you want to redirect your restore. Veeam's planning recommendation should include for customers to assign a VM as a thick disk for recovery purposes.
      Technical Operations Team Lead - EU at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      We utilize the integration with VMware. Reporting via PowerShell is useful for our daily checks.

What other advice do I have?

This is perfect backup solution for small to medium businesses that have an onsite VM environment. If you’re using AWS S3 for off-site then look elsewhere. This does not support it natively despite what their marketing might lead one to believe.
      Systems/Network Administrator at a printing company
      We were using Symantec Backup Exec 2010. We moved away from it in favor of being able to perform total VM backups.

What other advice do I have?

We have not implemented the array-based functionality as of yet. We elected to install a 10 Gb NIC for the main back up pipeline. The new 10 Gb connection has increased backup performance by 20%, and I believe the array-based platform has seen 40% performance increases. We are backing up to SATA drives, so we are trying the 10 Gb route first. If we decide to backup to an all flash array, then maybe the array-based platform will be considered.
      Architect at a tech services company
      Reliability of backup process are valuable as this is used as a failover migration tool.

What other advice do I have?

By far it is the best virtualization protection product, but lacking in the physical protection space. It does physical backups, but it fells like an after thought.
      Windows System Administrator at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We can now perform restores as file level instead of the whole VM.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use of the product and overall confidence in the product and Veeam support are valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

We can now perform restores as file level instead of the whole VM.

What needs improvement?

A better reporting function where we can see all the job statistics as standard rather than buying this feature with Veeam One.

I've been using it for six to eight months.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

Using Synthetic Full Backup caused issues with storage, but since switching to True Full Backup everything seams to be fine.

What do I think about the scalability

Engineer with 51-200 employees
      Instant VM Recovery is valuable as it provides us with rapid recovery of failed/lost VMs with a low recovery time objective (RTO).

What other advice do I have?

Do a PoC and compare cost x benefits with other solutions.
      Data Center Expert with 501-1,000 employees
      The installation is wizard-driven and will install any dependencies you may need that aren’t already installed.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a VMware or Hyper-V environment, then Veeam is the most mature and solid product in its class today. If you have a mixed environment, well then you may have some thinking to do. Personally I would still consider Veeam knowing they are working on their physical backup solution, which you can use today (although it’s very basic right now) or go with something else on the physical side for the time being.
      IT Development Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      Using Veeam Cloud Connect you can backup and restore to and from the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

Try it! You can test it before buy it, almost without effort and you probably will forget a lot of other vendor solutions.
      Network Manager at a logistics company with 501-1,000 employees
      The ability to backup servers without an agent installed is valuable.

What other advice do I have?

Veeam is the first backup solution I’ve used that’s designed for Virtual environments. With that disclaimer, I’d give the product 8/10 for out of the box functionality and ease of use. However, this is assuming there are no issues for Veeam in your environment, but we did have a few. This required several support calls with Veeam, which did somewhat quickly offer us a properly working backup system. Including Veeam support’s assistance, my rating would go up to 9/10, but this depends if you have a perpetual license with no support, or a subscription with ongoing support. The support increases…
      IT Project Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      Patch release and support are efficient and it doesn't take ages for most issues to be resolved.

What other advice do I have?

The best approach would be to implement a trial in a test environment to test it and run all the features to help you decide which edition and features you need and understand the architecture needed to run it.
      Solutions Architect at FLEXdata Solutions
      From our viewpoint, top features include: simple restoration capabilities and integration with NetApp Integrated Data Protection capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

Firstly understand the business requirements and expectations, then design and architect the deployment in line with these requirements. Ensure you get the “plumbing” right, never forgetting that the reason you backup is that one day you may have to restore. Plan and prepare for that day.
      IT Infrastructure Executive at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
      By using an adequate number of backup proxies, more jobs can be executed simultaneously.

What other advice do I have?

It suits all the needs for a fully virtualized environment, just make sure you have proper planning on the storage sizing.
      Solution Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      Includes useful features for a virtualized environment such as those based on VMware or Microsoft Hyper-V.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the price for the support. It is very high. Close the deal with -5 years support from the beginning.
      Network Operations Manager at a legal firm with 51-200 employees
      Allows us to restore from disk, tape or from our NetApp appliance snapshots.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Veeam 9 for its quick and effective backups to disk, tape and even the cloud. Having said that, the restores have been reliable once completed.
      Senior Systems Engineer with 51-200 employees
      MSP
      I can quickly restore an entire VM even in a test environment.​

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you do your research before deciding to purchase a different product other than Veeam even if that include reaching out to someone like myself that has used the product. You will see other products that don’t use snapshots and claim to be better, or don’t cause VM stun because their product is different. The fact is a lot of this depends on your underlying infrastructure especially storage. If your infrastructure is old or using slow storage, then any product may not be easy to implement without issues.
      System Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
      Veeam Cloud Connect is a new feature that will make integrating service providers even more simple to store backups outside your datacenter
      Originally posted at http://www.v-strange.de/index.... Veeam released the new version of Backup&Replication v8. The new version contains more than 200 new features and functions and several bugfixes to v7 patch4. Additionally v8 GA code will include a workaround for the newly found VMware CBT bug. As a VCP we already got access to the RTM code so I had already the chance to take a closer look to the new features. Most of them are improvements "under the hood" and only a few could be seen as "killer features" but they all make VBR an even better and more comprehensive backup solution. Let's have a look at the "What's new" document to see which features are really cool and a must-have. You can find the document here. Storage Snapshot Integration for NetApp. For all NetApp…
      Technical Lead with 51-200 employees
      MSP
      It ensures that backup times are kept to a minimum and reduces the amount of data that is replicated to additional disks off-site.
      System Administrator - Backup & Storage Specialist at METRO SYSTEMS Romania
      It has provided us with much needed high availability for our retail sites, although it's not exactly ready for very large scale and complex environments with more than 1000 VMs.

What other advice do I have?

For what it's designed to do, providing high availability and backup for virtual environments, it's definitely a jewel. I still think there's room for improvement on things like stability & scalability; it doesn't quite feel like a fully mature product yet that's capable of being implemented on very big and complex enterprise environments. And of course, I don't even want to think about the ripples it will send if they decide to implement support for physical environments in the same product. Before contacting the support team, remember that the Veeam Community forum is a small treasure chest…
      IT Manger at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
      ​After we started using it, we transferred all our 30 virtual servers in seven hours. They should support physical server backups, though I believe v9 will do this.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise you to get it because some of the features are free.
      We're able to restore entire virtual machines in under 15 minute, although I'd like to see the virtual-environment concept or technology applied to backup physical servers.

What other advice do I have?

Veeam is a good product that is easy to deploy and manage and it just really works.
      Systems Administrator at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It has provided a higher level of reliability to core company systems. However, it needs better reporting of replication job details to provide troubleshooting insight.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend it, since the solution is very simple to implement, monitor and manage.
      Information Technology Bureau Deputy Director at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We've reduced the time it takes to manage backups, which can be done without offsite infrastructure. Like with all technologies, however, there's the constant need for updates, patches, replacements.
      IT Manager at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
      We've been able to perform granular restores of Exchange mailboxes, though we've yet to use the full restore functionality.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to go ahead with the implementation as I think it's the best product on market today for VMware ESXi disaster recovery. It really is straightforward to install and use, with some really nice features.
      Technical Architect at a government with 501-1,000 employees
      We can now leverage in-box Windows deduplication, giving us longer retention times and spaces to spare on our backup targets.​

What other advice do I have?

Ask for a trial license, get hands on experience with the product, ask for help when you need it and you’ll be pleasantly surprised by what it delivers.
      IT manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 501-1,000 employees
      It allows us to recover email and items from the Exchange and Active directories, although scheduling backups could be improved.

What is most valuable?

Recovering single emails from Exchange and single items from Active Directory.

What needs improvement?

A different kind of scheduling. We would like to do backup twice a day.

I've used it for one year.

Once we had an upgrade issue, but the excellent support from Veeam solved it fast.

Customer Service: 5/5 Technical Support: 5/5

We used MS Data Protection Center, but MS changed the…
      Network Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
      Off-​site replication was good and gave us a reliable backup, but direct SAN-to-SAN replication needs improvement.

What other advice do I have?

Do a live demo or trial – make sure it’s a good fit for what you need.
      Infrastructure Engineer at a local government with 501-1,000 employees
      Many valuable features. The rest of the field is playing catchup.

What other advice do I have?

I'd say plan your implementation carefully and work out how many proxy servers you require for your virtual estate and take note of resource requirements. I would rate Veeam a 5 against the competition but it's no contest in my opinion because the rest of the field is playing catchup.
      Network specialist at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We're able to backup our VMs quickly and without downtime.

What other advice do I have?

This is the number one product for backups and restorations of VMs in an enterprise environment.
      Senior Infrastructure Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      We can now perform replications for migrating data and infrastructure upgrades.
      ICT Consultant at a government with 501-1,000 employees
      We're able to check the quality of our backups and to access reports that let us know what happened during backups.
      Senior System Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Ability to verify backups of critical servers means I can sleep at night. Backup of physical servers could be better.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend getting your hands on trial version or even just use the free editions from Veeam to become comfortable with the console and see for yourself just how easy it is to manage backups. If you use the free edition you'll quickly want to use a full version so you can schedule backups and take advantage of some of enterprise features. Run a POC on some VMs and verify it's the right tool for you and see that the reviews don't lie. I would also recommend reaching out to a Veeam Gold or Platinum Partner if you have a more complex environment and get your design put up on a whiteboard…
      Virtualization Specialist at InterLAN S.A.S.
      I'm able to optimize my clients' recovery procedures in less time with the Instant VM Recovery feature.

What other advice do I have?

Watch the demos online, watch the YouTube channel, and use the trial version to learn about the product. It is the way to get to know the product.
      Consultant infrastructures at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      It has item-level recovery for Active Directory, Exchange, SQL Server and SharePoint, as well as backups for recoverability tests (SureBackup) and from storage snapshots (3PAR).

What other advice do I have?

Just give it a try. Download the product, install-it and test it. The best way to know what it can do and what it can't is to test it through a proof of concept.
      Acting Manager, Ground Systems Development and Operations Program at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We like the integration with vCenter and the reporting it provides.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise you to buy it.
      IT Consultant and Engineer at Cloud Services
      It's provided us with a file-level recovery option and it's stable, efficient, and flexible.

What other advice do I have?

Just keep in mind its functionality because, as of now, it is limited to VMs. It's taking backup of physical machines as well, but only on a clone level.
      Senior Infrastructure Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      It slots in with other virtualization products and we no longer spend time looking at continual backup failures.

What other advice do I have?

Read the online documentation as it's easy to follow, watch the videos of the features, and, yes, it's really that easy to use.
      System Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It's easy to restore from a backup and, as it's an OS-aware solution, I can also recover deleted objects to Active Directory.

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead, it is a very good choice and will give you peace of mind. I've found that it's the best backup solution for a virtual infrastructure.
      Director of Information Technology at a religious institution with 51-200 employees
      It's hard to put an actual number on ROI. When you recover a document/server and look like a hero -- priceless.

What other advice do I have?

I cannot speak highly enough of this product. It has made backup and recovery so much easier. Veeam’s motto of “it just works”, is 100% accurate. It is quite literally a point and click product that doesn’t require special client installs to servers.
      DA
      Sr. security/system engineer at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
      It's a great product that has helped us replicate a very old database run on VM.
      Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Top Reviewer
      It allows VM replication from one data center to another for DR.
      Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      It has allowed us to restore files, emails and entire servers and it scaled well for our organization.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework. Run a demo of the software. And for any backup solutions remember the three “P’s”. Plan, Plan and Plan
      Information Technology Manager with 501-1,000 employees
      We needed to switch to Veeam because almost all our systems are virtualized and this was not the focus for our previous solution.

What other advice do I have?

When looking at purchasing this product, I would recommend that you purchase the full suite, which includes Veeam One for monitoring of the environment. The products complement each other and can help ease burdens of administering both the virtual environment and data backup.
      Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      We used Netvault, but Veeam is far more flexible.

What other advice do I have?

Do a test. Have good hardware to run on and to backup to. Best to have SAN aware backups which require you give access to the storage cards to LUNS that you are backing up. Either iSCSI or Fiber. Network backups work, but much faster with SAN aware.
      CEO with 51-200 employees
      Veeam launches like a rocket and delves into the feature list of VMware. It's been an overall improvement.

What other advice do I have?

Nothing beats Veeam when it comes to Backup in a virtual environment. Just go for it, Veeam won’t let you down.
      Systems Engineer / System Administrator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      It's very simple to use and a reliable product.

What is most valuable?

Efficiency Objectivity Reliability Features

How has it helped my organization?

Restores are easier to do.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to be able to copy VMs directly to tape drives.

I've been using it for three years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 10/10. Technical Support: 10/10.

We previously used Backup Exec, but Veeam rules.

Freelance IT Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
      It has made the VM infrastructure easier to manage, as well as simplifying the backup and restore process.

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate your needs before choosing a product. If tape management is required only, then Veeam is not the choice.
      Systems Administrator at a government with 501-1,000 employees
      It's easy and very straightforward to configure.

What is most valuable?

I use the backup, replication, and the backup copy features. The most useful one is the backup feature.

How has it helped my organization?

I have a backup of my infrastructure every night, and have improved the speed of performing restores.

What needs improvement?

I think it is a good product but all products could be better.

I've used it for two years.

No issues with deployment, nothing went wrong.

This product has saved a lot of my time, as it’s very stable.

Customer Service: I have only needed to open two tickets in two years. Technical Support:…
      Datacenter Core Infrastructure with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Transparent and easy to use, which improves usability and manageability for the daily operations a backup/system administrator performs.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to make a correct design which maps on your IT environment needs. A simple Veeam POC can be setup to validate the product.
      President at CONNEKT|IT Services
      I can do a backup of an entire VM or just guest files.

What is most valuable?

I can do a backup of an entire VM or just guest files.

How has it helped my organization?

The safety and reliability of data loss and retrieval has been amazing ever since we implemented Veeam.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to be able to backup data to two locations.

I've used it for five years.

Nothing serious.

Nothing.

Customer Service: 9 out of 10 Technical Support: 9 out of 10

Not for…
      Senior Systems Administrator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Great for a VMware environment.

What is most valuable?

Sure backup Synthetic backups

How has it helped my organization?

It drastically reduced the backup time window and improved data protection.

What needs improvement?

Better flexibility for scheduling jobs, specifically for the SQL hourly log backup.

I've used it for eight months.

Nothing major encountered.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's better than others. Technical Support: It's the best I've encountered.

Which solution did I use previously and why

System Engineer at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
      I retired Backup Exec, and added Veeam in place of it. This increased the backup scope and reduced tape usage.

What is most valuable?

The ability to perform exchange restores.

How has it helped my organization?

Surebackup allows verification of the backup. This provides a higher level of confidence.

I've used it for two years.

No issues encountered.

If there is a communication interruption (ping drops) between the proxy and the Veeam server, the backup fails.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's excellent. Technical Support: It's just below excellent.

We…
      IT Manager at Asheville Head, Neck and Ear Surgeons, PA
      We previously used Symantec Backup Exec, it was cumbersome, didn’t handle our virtual machines, and kept us on tape backups.

What is most valuable?

The ability to manage backups from any machine from one location.

How has it helped my organization?

We’ve taken the human out of the equation when it comes to our backups. This means backups run when they should, like they should.

What needs improvement?

None since the release of endpoint backup management.

I've been using it for over two years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's wonderful - 10/10. Technical Support: It's wonderful -…
      Support Services Manager with 51-200 employees
      Has improved backup recovery time significantly

What is most valuable?

Ease of use Reliability

How has it helped my organization?

It's improved backup recovery time significantly, and makes backup testing a breeze.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any.

I've used it for five years.

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

Customer Service: 9/10. Technical Support: 8/10.

Used to use vRanger. Switched to Veeam as "it just works" as their slogan suggests.…
      Data Center Operations Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
      Good product but it's not suitable for a virtual environment.

What is most valuable?

Exchange and File server backup are valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

Versions of backup files helped us to recover files as per users requirement.

What needs improvement?

Virtual Environment

I've used it for seven years.

No, but deployment is bit complicated.

Having issues with the hardware.

Tape base backup and data is spread across the tapes.

Customer Service: 2/10. Technical Support: 2/10.

We previously…
      Server Administrator at a religious institution with 501-1,000 employees
      Set up is very easy. Pick your proxy server, set up the repositories and off you go. The backup compressions needs work.

What other advice do I have?

Don't wait. It is a very simple install and your backup and replication jobs will run better than ever.
      Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Physical servers backup could be improved but the simplicity of the product is great.

What is most valuable?

- CBT (Change block tracking) - Agent less - Replication - Dedupe

How has it helped my organization?

- Reducing backup storage - Reducing backup time

What needs improvement?

Physical servers backup.

2 Years.

Yes, but solved in a few time by the support.

No issues with scalability.

Customer Service: 10/10 - Very fast answer and follow up. Technical Support: 10/10.

Symantec Netbackup. We changed…
      Senior System Integrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      We previously used Backup exec, and evaluated Acronis before we chose this solution. Our ROI is one year.
      I have been using this solution since 2008 and find the fast recover and deduplication of this product valuable. An example of how this product has improved the way our organization functions is that it recover Citrix farm in 15 minutes. The exchange and Sharepoint have room for improvement. We encounter no issues with deployment, stability or scalability. We implemented through a vendor team; their level of expertise was high. Initial setup was straightforward. I would rate the level of customer service a 10 and the level of technical support a 9, so both were really excellent. We previously used Backup exec, and evaluated Acronis before we chose this solution. Our ROI on this product is one year. Costs for day-to-day and setup are 1 day cost to deploy, day-to-day depends.
      Backup & Storage Systems Manager at a university with 501-1,000 employees
      Most valuable features are explorer for exchange and instant vm recovery. Veeam Vpower Technology could be better.

What other advice do I have?

I advise this product to all system managers who need to use back up systems.
      IT Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
      With this product we were able to restore the Hyper-V Infrastructure to our 2nd Data Center and 20 Hospitals.

What other advice do I have?

Do your research but by far this is one of the best products out there. Agentless is a very good thing to leverage in a Backup Software.
      Information Systems Manager at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
      ​Backup of physical could be improved but individual item restoration is very useful.

Valuable Features

VM Replication, Individual item restore.

Improvements to My Organization

Improved virtual infrastructures backup and recovery.

Room for Improvement

Backup of Physical could be improved. Additionally, customer service needs improvement.

Use of Solution

2 years.

Customer Service: Customer service needs improvement. Technical Support: Good.

Initial setup for Virtual was bit complex.

Implementation Team

In-house.
      System Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
      Previously used a different solution, but Veeam was easier to setup and use. Very good product for a mid-range company.

How has it helped my organization?

Able to backup virtual servers and setup and DR for critical applications.

What needs improvement?

File recovery could be better.

Two years.

No issues with deployment.

No problems with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Customer Service: I would rate the customer service as a 4/5. Technical Support: I would rate technical support a 5/5.

Yes, Veeam was easier to setup and use.

Easy to…
      System Engineer at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
      I love the ability to either restore the entire VM or just a single file if needed, it saved us a lot of pain and money.

What other advice do I have?

Check to see if they have a plug-in for your storage vendor.
      Systems Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Two features are unmatched compared to other products: SureBackup and the possibility of Replication (and Virtual LAB).

What other advice do I have?

It is a product with significant potential that can be positioned transversely on many case. The same reply can be made from the same VMware but we will not have a platform to test to see if it works (in VEEAM called Virtual LAb). To get a better solution, you switch to the Site Recovery Manager, but the costs are very high and certainly is a solution for much larger companies. The product is very reliable, easy to manage, and, above all, complete.
      IT Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Tape support is still not performing as expected; Veeam relates to backup as a repository instead of long term archive.
      IT Infrastructure Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      From a business continuity aspect it has removed the need for arranging warm-start DR arrangements.

What other advice do I have?

I would say you need to think about the long term storage of data and how you intend to archive that data.You need to fully understand the concept of "restore points" and full-incremental vs reverse-incremental backups along with the pro and cons. This information is available on the Veeam website. Finally plan as much as can before installation!
      Veeam allowed us to use just one backup solution. It allows us to restore of single objects when the vm is mounted.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend it to anyone running an extensive virtual environment.
      Technical Marketing Engineer with 201-500 employees
      ​It simplifies the backup process by allowing applications that are virtualized to be treated as virtual machines.

What other advice do I have?

Try it out and you'll be very surprised at how easy Veeam is for virtualized environments.
      Server Systems Analyst with 501-1,000 employees
      ​Performance of the replica when booting during an emergency could be better. Veeam is an excellent option.

What other advice do I have?

Do your research and comparison studies that are specific for your business. Not all products are best for every business, no matter how good they are. Veeam is an excellent option and was ultimately the best choice for our environment.
      Technical Lead & ICT Senior Infrastructure Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Speed and more management would be an improvement, but instant recovery is valuable and its very easy to use.

What is most valuable?

Replication, Sure Backup and Instant Recovery; very easy to use.

How has it helped my organization?

Real and fast restore and if needed a VM Instant Restore(1/2m).

What needs improvement?

Speed and more management.

I have used and given support of this product for my clients for around 4/5 years.

Some Speed and data, that we fix along the way.

Customer Service: 1 to 10, I give an 8. Technical Support: 1 to 10, I give an 8.

Technical Solution Specialist at Zones Inc.
      ​Very smooth backup and restore when required but offsite repository is not very stable.

What is most valuable?

Surebackup, reverse incremental, parallel processing for VM and the hdd and many more.

How has it helped my organization?

Very smooth backup and restore when required.

What needs improvement?

As every application has a scope of improvement so the Veeam, there are many areas they can improve on: the CBT errors, in hot add many times it is found that the Veeam proxy do not release the HDD even after the backup, offsite repository is not very stable.

3 years.

Not Much, environment specific.

Not much, it is quite stable.

How are customer

User at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
      Gives us the power to protect critical VM's. Make sure you purchase the correct license.

What other advice do I have?

We have two types of licenses with Veeam, one is for in-house and the other is for the service provider or your customers. Make sure you have a clear understanding of which license you need in your organization.
      Systems Administrator at a transportation company with 51-200 employees
      We specifically like the file level restore and bandwith optimization. I'd like a friendlier UI.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very straight forward software that does not require technical intervention. Can fully integrate with VMware / Hyper-V without any issues. If your are not sure what is going to be the final decision, try It for free and see the results by yourself.
      Senior Manager of Network at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      At the time we bought it, it was the only virtual backup product like this on the market.

What is most valuable?

Flawless virtual machine backup.

How has it helped my organization?

Ability to have disaster recovery site capabilities integrated into our backup solution as well as a backup product that scales along with our needs.

What needs improvement?

None that I can think of.

5 years. We just upgraded to version 8.

Only one minor Microsoft related configuration issue that easily resolved.

No issues with scalability.

Customer Service: Very good. Every support call as been…
      CTO with 51-200 employees
      We are able to restore VM very fast, with 0 downtime. Could have ​more APIs with storage from different vendors.

What is most valuable?

Granular restore and Vmware integration.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to restore VM very fast, with 0 downtime.

What needs improvement?

More APIs with storage from different vendors.

2 years.

Issues with deployment - none.

Issues with stability - none

Issues with scalability - none.

Customer Service: Very good. Technical Support: Very good.

HP Data Protector, we switched because Veeam was easier to manage and…
      Principal Technology Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Best product on the market for Backing up and replicating Virtual infrastructure. Perfect with VMware.

What other advice do I have?

It's the only solution for an enterprise Virtual environment.
      IT Senior Systems Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
      Very fast & reliable. I'd like to be able to do both VMware & Hyper-V backups at the same time.

What is most valuable?

Backup, Restore, Replication

How has it helped my organization?

Very fast & reliable backup, less management, fast restores

What needs improvement?

Being able to do both VMware & Hyper-V backups at the same time. At the moment, as far as I know, you can only do one or the other.

3 - 3.5 years

No deployment problems, super easy.

No stability problems, very stable.

No scalability issues, easy to scale.

Customer Service: Very good. Technical Support: Very good.

Which solution did I use

Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Integration of Exchange and SQL granular restore reduce our RTO, but integration with Storage Array could be better.

What other advice do I have?

If you’re > 80% virtualized environment (Hyper-V or VMware) and no need of complex tape rotation, this is a good product. Be careful of having installed integration services or VMware tools.
      Systems Analyst at a hospitality company with 10,001+ employees
      Senior Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
      It needs to be able to backup physical servers, but we are able to drastically reduce our backup and restore times.

What is most valuable?

The file level restore and the instant restore of a whole VM from a snapshot.

How has it helped my organization?

With this product we are able to drastically reduce our backup and restore times. We are able to have a true DR site with Veeams replication jobs.

What needs improvement?

It needs to be able to backup physical servers.

I have used this solution for 3 years.

No deployment issues.

No stability issues.

No issues with scalability, it is very easy to deploy an additional proxy server.

Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      For 10000 + VM environments this product is the best. Customer support not as great as Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

Inter site backup replication, object level AD restore and complete VMDK level VM backup and restore.

How has it helped my organization?

It is helpful in BCP in the event of disaster and human errors on VM infrastructure to reduce MTTR and fast recovery.

What needs improvement?

Random CBT errors during backup jobs.

More than 3 years.

No, those are related to network not related to product.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

Customer Service: It's good but comparing to VMware and…
      Senior Systems Support Analyst at a government with 501-1,000 employees
      Great product, Veeam works with both VMware and HyperV, integrates well.
      Network Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Had issue when license files downloaded from OWA which would render it unusable, but backup/replication are valuable.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely one of the simplest ways to backup a virtualized infrastructure but you may not be able to fully get rid of your regular backup software if you have physical servers or specialized applications that required specific plugins that Veeam does not support.
      Support Manager at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
      Backups don't fail often which saves time and data but backing up Exchange could be better.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use, it's simple to backup and restore.

How has it helped my organization?

Backups don't fail often which saves time and data.

What needs improvement?

Backing up Exchange could be better, particularly Clustered Exchange.

4 years.

Customer Service: No issues. Technical Support: Excellent, their support is fast and efficient.

Backup Exec, I was looking for something designed for Virtual Machines.

How was the

IT ADS Section Manger with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Very reliable and fast data recovery. Price is a bit high.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use

How has it helped my organization?

Very reliable and fast data recovery

What needs improvement?

I feel the price is a bit high

5+ years

No issues with deployment of Veeam Backup & Replication.

No issues with stability of Veeam Backup & Replication.

No issues with scalability of Veeam & Replication.

Customer Service: Acceptable Technical Support: Acceptable

vRanger

Straightforward, clear…
      Systems Specialist at KESA
      Veeam has saved us many hours but the performance is slow when making changes (This could be our hardware, or Veeam)

What other advice do I have?

Veeam is a great fit for a seasoned IT pro, of someone who is green. Get a trial of the software and try it. My other advice is to do the math and get a large enough SAN. We currently keep 180days of backups for 50+ VMs.
      System Administrator at a recreational facilities/services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      This really is a top notch product. Stability and ease of use well worth the money.
      Account Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      If they have any doubts, first try a POC...Will help them decide.

What is most valuable?

2-in-1: backup and replication Sandbox and Open FIles Instant VM Recovery

What needs improvement?

I believe none.

For almost 3 Years.

Customer Service: Good. Technical Support: Good.

Was using Symantec.

No, very user friendly.

In-house.

we implemented as demo lab for ours partners to test.

What's my experience with pricing,

Sr. Systems Engineer with 51-200 employees
      I evaluated CommVault. Veeam was much better priced for the features we needed.

What other advice do I have?

Veeam is an excellent and reliable VM backup tool at a great value compared to other products. I strongly recommend deploying the free trial to get familiar with the product. After using the trial I would be surprised if someone doesn't purchase Veeam.
      Technical Consultant with 51-200 employees
      Talk to a certified integrator, product is simple but you will get some important tips.

What is most valuable?

Backup.

How has it helped my organization?

Improved backup and recovery speeds, ease of use.

What needs improvement?

Problems occur using VMware based snapshots.

4 years.

Nothing serious, fixed quickly via patch.

Customer Service: Was excellent now very good. Technical Support: Good+.

BackupExec, not good enough support for VM backup.

Straightforward.

IT Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Veem gives ease of mind in regards to virtual backup & has given us the opportunity to test the backup.

What other advice do I have?

go for it :) you wont regret it.
      Network Administrator at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
      Would be good to have ability to backup physical servers but product is breath of fresh air compared to similar products

What other advice do I have?

Download the free version and give it a try. I believe you will find what you are looking for.
      System Administrator-L2 at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Zero failure on restoration of the backups is the best part.

What other advice do I have?

When used with VMware, have good Backup infrastructure and add Cluster in the backup job and all your VMs will be backed up, even if you have DRS enabled on the Cluster and VMs migrate to different hosts.
      IT Manager with 51-200 employees
      Great solution but I have faced a few challenges in terms of setting up remote jobs
      As promised, this is the next instalment in my Veeam posts, specifically on Remote Backup (backup to a remote site across the WAN). This has been a learning experience even though I already had one site doing remote backup for almost a year. The goal with this particular project is to leverage as much goodness as possible out of Veeam v7 for our customer. This meant learning how to make best use of some of the features of Veeam that are either new to v7 or are things I hadn’t really looked at in the past. This particular customer has Veeam Enterprise Essentials, licensing that lines up with their VMware vSphere Essentials licensing. They do NOT have the WAN Accelerator goodness that comes with the PLUS versions so it will be interesting to see how we do with traffic…
      IT Manager with 51-200 employees
      Back up to remote location & ability to handle replication across WAN links are worth their weight in gold
      Before I get rolling on this post let me just say this … I love Veeam I am unapologetic about it, I think Veeam is one of the best applications to come down the pike in a long, long time. And, no, I’m not a Veeam employee, just a very enthusiastic user of the product! OK, now for the meat and potatoes … One thing we (itgroove) get asked about, a lot, is remote backup. I’ll be honest, to this point in time I have not come across any remote backup system that I can heartily endorse to any customer. Yes, there are a lot of remote backup services out there – some better than others – but they all tend to leave me a bit cold as they usually fall down horribly when it comes to quick recovery. Worse, they usually end up costing way more than most people bargain for. We…
      Cloud Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
      Easy installation and simple management

Valuable Features:

Easy installation Simple management Simplified backup verification Simplified restore operation Excellent Instant recovery engine

Room for Improvement:

Snapshot-based no vCloud Director integration very incomplete knowledge base
      Download our free Veeam Backup & Replication Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.