Veeam ONE OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Veeam ONE is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Virtualization Management Tools. It is most often compared to VMware vRealize Operations (vROps): Veeam ONE vs VMware vRealize Operations (vROps)

What is Veeam ONE?

Veeam® ONE™ is a powerful monitoring, reporting and capacity planning tool for the management of the Veeam backup infrastructure and VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V virtual environments. It helps enable Availability for the Always-On Enterprise™ by providing complete visibility of the IT environment to detect issues before they have operational impact.

Veeam ONE Buyer's Guide

Download the Veeam ONE Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Veeam ONE Customers
Business & Legal Resources Inc., Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities, Alliance Healthcare, Poulin Grain Inc., Linear Technology, Northwestern University, ARKEMA, Sogegross, City of Lynchburg
Veeam ONE Video

Archived Veeam ONE Reviews (more than two years old)

Thang Le Toan (Victory Lee)
CIO at Robusta Technology & Training
Optimal calculations for storage systems for operation and backup on DCV, HCI

What is our primary use case?

Transforming from the physical system to virtualization -- vSphere or Hyper-V, KVM and then monitoring reporting infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

The most important problem in the data center system is to monitor and calculate real-time, to be able to accurately forecast or monitor for troubleshooting (not all software can do it).

What is most valuable?

• Optimal calculations for storage systems for operation and backup on DCV, HCI
  • Stability and VM loading of the data center.

We have problems with IOPS calculations real-time, uncontrollable IOPS of storage leads to storage infrastructure errors.

What needs improvement?

The additional features are:

• Running control of both network and IOPS on physical infrastructure
  • Predicting compatibility requirements to transfer resources from physical to virtual to meet backup RPO and RTO within 15 minutes
  • Especially adding application objects to backup VM cluster (Oracle RAC, SQL cluster, AD delegation, Exchange DAG, MySQL Cluster).

Enterprise Engineer / Virtualization Support at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Performs capacity planning of virtual and backup environments. Does cost failure modeling.

What is most valuable?

Some of the valuable features, amongst other brilliant features, are:

• Veeam ONE Reporter: Reporter is the reporting server part of Veeam ONE. It is accessible via a web console, providing featured packed templates (workspace) and dashboard widgets.
  • Close-to-accurate capacity planning of virtual and backup environments.
  • Host failure modeling
  • What-if analysis in case one host has to fail
  • Determining if all production VMs will be continuously available on fewer hosts.
  • VM optimization by identifying over/under-allocated CPU and memory resources, i.e., right-sizing.

Generating reports is based on your selection criterion and parameters, giving you presentable views for VMware and Hyper-V infrastructures for:

• Backup infrastructures with disk, replication, and tape jobs
  • Backup repositories (capacity planning for forecasting)
  • Virtual infrastructure trends and alarms
  • Virtual infrastructure hosts, clusters, data stores, and VMs

How has it helped my organization?

Complete visibility into compute, storage, and backup resources.

It helps us to meet our client SLAs by optimizing resource usage with tremendous cost-savings (charge-back).

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more drill-down and granular coverage of the compute stack and virtual infrastructure elements for Hyper-V.

I am comparing this to more features already available for VMware environments. I read that more features have now been added in version 9.5 and that the current ones have been enhanced.

We have used this solution for four years, since version 6.5.

There have been no stability issues so far.

A lot of improvements are made with each new release, as long as you follow the proper and guided upgrade steps.

You also have to take into account the initial best practice deployment with optimal configurations that meet our clients' virtual and backup estates.

There have been no scalability issues so far. Our Veeam ONE servers are implemented as hosted VMs, as opposed to physical machines. These are easily scalable in terms of resources.

We used other solutions previously. We are still using SolarWinds Virtualization Manager, version 6.3, in conjunction with Veeam ONE.

One of our large clients decided to acquire Veeam ONE based on their own research. This decision was seconded by us.

We found the reporting and capacity planning tools were really what they needed. That helped us support them better. The cost savings was the driving force.

The initial setup was fairly easy and straightforward with guided wizard-driven configurations. The single-server is used for small to medium size enterprises.

Much larger virtual and backup environments with separate dedicated servers require advanced deployment.

Depending on the edition (Standard, Enterprise, Enterprise Plus), all license costs are calculated per number of physical CPU-Sockets, in each hosted, server hardware.

I evaluated Turbonomic 5 (formerly VMTurbo) before. It is a master and “monster” of capacity planning for virtual environments of any size. It is feature-packed and fast.

However, I first started working with SolarWinds Virtualization Manager and still use it in the workplace. I use it extensively for VM sprawl and storage monitoring which is easier for me with this product. It also gives us recommendations on resource sizing/tuning. Veeam ONE and Turbonomic do this as well in their own efficient ways.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for complete visibility into your VMware and/or Hyper-V infrastructure with seamless integration of Veeam backup & replication environments at no additional cost, then look no further. It just works.

Just “picture it”:

• Great cost-savings with linked SLAs
  • Boosts ROI across the board
  • Slices down on Capex and Opex

Learn what your peers think about Veeam ONE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user220182
Senior Systems Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

The reverse incremental feature is most valuable to us.

How has it helped my organization?

It is intuitive to use. It was easy to train IT guys how to use it.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see any backup process other than the snapshot backup.

We have used the solution for four years.

Sometimes if a backup failed, it meant the snapshot was not removed. This could cause the VM to crash when it ran out of snapshot space.

I didn't need it for our environment which had three ESX hosts and 50-60 VMs.

I didn't use the technical support directly, but the guys reporting to me did. I believe they were fairly straightforward.

I used a product called vRanger by Quest. They are very similar, but I decided to switch to Veeam after going to a VMware event and seeing that Veeam had become a partner of VMware. This gave me more confidence in their product.

The setup was very simple as it's pretty much a default install.

I see nothing different than what other vendors are doing, which is to price it at "per physical CPU". Just factor that in when looking at cost.

I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution for a small to medium size company. The backup speed isn't lightening quick. However, a lot depends on your environment and what you're backing up to i.e., NAS or SAN.

Rhys Comley
Senior ICT Systems Engineer (Pacific) at a engineering company with 10,001+ employees
Provides live monitoring and reporting on the health and performance of the virtual environment.

What is most valuable?

• Live monitoring and reporting on the health and performance of the virtual environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Identifies issues in real time, does capacity planning, and performs environmental monitoring that allows us to justify the need for additional resources in real time.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements in the GUI and in navigation.

I have used this solution for four years.

I didn’t encounter any issues with stability.

I didn’t encounter any issues with scalability.

Technical support is excellent.

The installation was straightforward.

We bundle it with Veeam Backup & Replication and Veeam Availability Suite under the cloud license model. It is very affordable.

What other advice do I have?

I don’t have any negative feedback. It provides a real-time, holistic view of the performance of our environment. It has allowed us to capture resource utilization issues for virtual machines. It allows us to capture information about snapshots, configuration, and performance issues in real-time. It has excellent reporting for capacity planning and management or reporting for customers.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a cloud partner.
it_user528894
Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Its backup, replication, monitoring and reporting features are valuable.

What is most valuable?

Backup Replication Monitoring Reporting

How has it helped my organization?

It is fast, reliable and secure.

What needs improvement?

They need to find better ways for RDMs and to somehow backup physical servers.

I have used it for five years.

I have not encountered any stability issues; the product is very stable.

I have not encountered many scalability issues.

Technical support is very good.

Initial setup was…

What is most valuable?

• Backup
  • Replication
  • Monitoring
  • Reporting

How has it helped my organization?

It is fast, reliable and secure.

What needs improvement?

They need to find better ways for RDMs and to somehow backup physical servers.

I have used it for five years.

I have not encountered any stability issues; the product is very stable.

I have not encountered many scalability issues.

Technical support is very good.

I did not previously use a different solution.

Initial setup was pretty straightforward.

They need to make better offers for SMB customers.

Before choosing this product, I did not exactly evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Simply, if you have a decent virtual environment… Go for it.

it_user168444
Manager Infrastructure at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides detailed monitoring and alerting. I'd like to see Xen- and KVM-based virtualization monitoring improved

What is most valuable?

• Detailed monitoring and alerting (I loved the advanced monitoring and reporting at my previous organization)

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, the infrastructure was configured and backed up at the application level and configuration changes were not replicated. With replication at the infrastructure level now, we don't have to worry about configuration changes.

What needs improvement?

• Monitoring of Xen- and KVM-based virtualization

I have used it for approximately over one year.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not scaled it until now.

I have not used technical support.

I did not previously use a different solution.

Initial setup was simple.

It’s a great tool and management should consider spending money for it, as it eases a lot of complexities.

I have been using the free version but would definitely opt for the paid version if management approves it.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a simple and reliable solution, especially as I have experience with VMware products (ESXi).

Senior IT Systems Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
The monitoring, reporting and capacity planning features are valuable.

What is most valuable?

Monitoring Reporting Capacity planning

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to proactively monitor of virtual infrastructure, and has reduced downtime.

What needs improvement?

Reduce the use of dark colors in the product interfaces (GUI).

I have used it for five years.

No stability issues encountered so far.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is not so good: Communication issues due to language differences Slow responses

We previously used IBM &…

What is most valuable?

• Monitoring
  • Reporting
  • Capacity planning

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Reduce the use of dark colors in the product interfaces (GUI).

I have used it for five years.

No stability issues encountered so far.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is not so good:

• Communication issues due to language differences
  • Slow responses

We previously used IBM & Microsoft solutions.

Initial setup was straightforward.

Licenses are getting costlier whenever there is a new version.

Before choosing this product, we also evaluated VMTurbo & VMware Operations Manager.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a great product.

IT Senior System Engineer, Data Integrity and IT Pharma Automation systems migration consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Virtual and Backup infrastructure monitoring solution

What is most valuable?

Here theyare features that I appreciated:

• Immediate alerting
  • Scheduled historical reporting
  • Unique enterprise backup console view
  • One settings point location
  • Infrastructure view
  • Business view
  • Data protection View
  • VM

How has it helped my organization?

This product gave us the ability to have a single notification point about global infrastructure.

Veeam console is well integrated with Veeam Backup & Replication so, we can view, at the same time, backup health and disaster recovery replication between different sites. The historical reporting feature, gave us the ability to understand any weakness and possible strange behavior to be investigated.

In any case, we utilized Veeam One and B&R in conjunction with other monitoring software to have a complete and real time situation of our infrastructure (network devices, applicative problems etc).

What needs improvement?

It would be really appreciated if Veeam One could provide an OS and program monitoring solution for the VM ( exchange monitoring and queue, event viewer, Active Directory, DHCP, DNS etc) and improve grant processes to apply in case of any infrastructure problems.

I started using it since 3 years ago in conjunction with other monitoring solutions (SCOM 2012, OpManager, VirtuaWin, Netwrix, Nagios

I had problems getting Veeam One and Veeam Backup & Replication to coexist on the same server.

Sometimes, I needed to reboot the server if it was on for a long time. I also had some performance problems if it was implemented on an old server.

Scalability wasn't an issue, but I had problems with the license files when we bought new licenses.

It was good.

They were great and well prepared.

About virtual host, I utilized (and I am still using), Nagios, Netwrix, OpManager but I am preferring them only for OS, network devices, bandwidth utilization and application server monitoring.

I liked Veeam One about VMware and HyperV server monitoring

Initial setup was quite straightforward and easy.

I implemented it on my own.

An excellent disaster recovery plan, backup replication, and real time monitoring.

Initial setup was €10,000 in conjunction with Veeam Backup & Replication Enterprise Edition with different sites/hosts to monitor. The day to day cost, is meanly relative licensing and minimal time to maintaining it.

• SCOM 2012
  • OpManager
  • Nagios
  • Netwrix

What other advice do I have?

If you already utilize Veeam Backup & Replication, it would be very important that you utilize this product to manage them together. (Other than essential licenses, the enterprise version gives you a single monitoring/backup console that sounds great).

DA
Sr. security/system engineer at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
The Active Directory aspect needs improving but overall straightforward to install.

What is most valuable?

The backup and replication ability.

How has it helped my organization?

Backups and restores are completed very fast. Also, it takes less time for backups than previously.

What needs improvement?

Active Directory, because if we could restore GPO as a single level object as well as restoring AD schema partition through backup then I think it will be great product.

I've been using it alongside Veeam Backup and Replication four years.

No issues encountered.

How are customer service and technical

What is most valuable?

The backup and replication ability.

What needs improvement?

I've been using it alongside Veeam Backup and Replication four years.

It is very good.

Technical support is also very good.

We are using both solutions right now.

It is straightforward to install and easy to configure and backup too.

I implemented it myself.

I think almost 80%.

It is just the license cost. and after that there is no cost except for support maintenance.

Yes we did.

What other advice do I have?

It is a nice product.

Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
If you are in a virtualized environment, there is nothing better than Veeam One but the alerts need better descriptions.

What is most valuable?

I really like the reporting. You can build your own reports and schedule to send them any time. I also like the fact that alerts are resolved automatically if there is no longer an issue.

How has it helped my organization?

From a storage prospective we were getting alerts when the Hyper V LUNS reached the threshold and we were able to fix the space issue before something worse happened.

No more surprises about our Hyper-V environment, storage.

What needs improvement?

Better description of the problems as the alerts are missing good descriptions. Sometimes you need to spend extra time to Google the error because the information from the alerts is not clear enough.

I've used it for two years.

Deployment is very simple, the installation wizard is very easy and then it is just simply adding whatever you want to monitor.

I don't have any stability issues.

I need to give them 10/10. All the cases are resolved in the time they give.

We used PRTG but we were getting a lot of false positives.

What other advice do I have?

If you are using a virtualized environment, there is nothing better than Veeam Backup and Veeam One.

If you deploy Veeam Backup and Veeam One, you will sleep much better.

it_user200493
Sr. System Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
If you're unsure, implement it in your lab environment, it will change your mind.

What is most valuable?

ESXi & vCenter comparability Veeam Backup support Fully customization

How has it helped my organization?

It has made it easier to monitor our virtual environments.

I've used it for one year.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 10/10. Technical Support: 10 but we haven't really used it.

No previous solution used.

It was moderate.

What about the

What is most valuable?

• ESXi & vCenter comparability
  • Veeam Backup support
  • Fully customization

How has it helped my organization?

It has made it easier to monitor our virtual environments.

I've used it for one year.

10/10.

10 but we haven't really used it.

No previous solution used.

It was moderate.

In-house implementation.

We also looked at SCOM.

What other advice do I have?

If you say no to Veeam One, at least implement it in your Lab environment, it will change your mind.

Senior Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is easy to recognize issues before they become significant although identifying hardware issues needs work

What is most valuable?

We like the alerting, reporting, and the dashboard features.

How has it helped my organization?

Using the reporting and dashboard features has allowed us to remain proactive with our infrastructure such as identifying datastores with high IOPS or an ESXi host with high memory utilization. Veeam ONE delivers this data in a user-friendly format that makes it easy to recognize issues before they become significant.

What needs improvement?

Veeam ONE does not easily recognize hardware issues within the infrastructure out of the box which costs some administrative overhead.

We have been using Veeam ONE for just over one year.

No issues encountered.

Stability has been perfect. Definitely no complaints in that area.

We have a fairly small infrastructure so scalability isn’t something we’ve tested.

We have not needed to contact Veeam customer service.

We have not needed to contact Veeam technical support. Any configuration issues have been solved using their knowledge base.

We used System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) prior to using Veeam ONE. We switched to Veeam ONE when the decision to use a third party solution was implemented.

Deployment was very easy and straightforward.It was mostly “Next, Next, Next, Finish” during the deployment.Connecting Veeam ONE to our vCenter and creating the SQL database on a remote host were the only details that required any focus.

We implemented Veeam ONE in-house, specifically with just one administrator; very easy to implement.

ROI is difficult to measure in a cost center since we don’t produce revenue.

Veeam ONE was procured through a promotion that coupled it with Veeam Backup and Replication. We were interested in a backup solution for our hypervisor environment however Veeam ONE quickly proved to be a solution we intend to license for the long term. As I’ve already mentioned with the ease of setup and use, costs have been minimal.

Veeam ONE is actually complimenting a different product leveraged through a third party contract. The third party is responsible for monitoring our business-critical systems, however, we prefer Veeam ONE because it recognizes issues before the third party solution does and, because no Veeam ONE agent is required, we’re comfortable using two monitoring solutions with no significant resource overhead costs.

What other advice do I have?

Veeam ONE is the perfect solution for monitoring and managing your hypervisor infrastructure. However we rely on a different solution for systems that are not part of our hypervisor infrastructure such as our database servers.

it_user6492
Cloud Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Great tool to learn how to monitor a Virtual Infrastructure

Valuable Features:

Simplified management Easy to install

Room for Improvement:

No integration with vsphere client Limited metrics to choose from

Valuable Features:

Simplified management Easy to install

Room for Improvement:

No integration with vsphere client Limited metrics to choose from
Download our free Veeam ONE Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.