WA
IT Manager at Kuwait Medical International
Adding a new server to a foreign location is easy, but the application stability needs improvement

• "The scalability is good. It can scale. Adding a new server to a foreign location is easy."
  • "There are bugs. For one month, I encountered a big issue where my storage pool could not be identified. My backups were stopped because they were not able to locate the storage pool. So, I removed the settings and started the backups again. The application is not stable. It needs some debugging and testing on the build side of production."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for VM backups.

We were using an older version and just upgraded two weeks ago.

What is most valuable?

The virtual machine backup is important for stability and scalability since our servers are on virtual machines.

Another good thing is that it has cloud backup.

What needs improvement?

There are bugs. For one month, I encountered a big issue where my storage pool could not be identified. My backups were stopped because they were not able to locate the storage pool. So, I removed the settings and started the backups again. The application is not stable. It needs some debugging and testing on the build side of production.

We use Vembu with Microsoft Hyper-V. While the installation is not a problem, there is a problem with the operation side of things. It should be automated. There is something wrong with the structure affecting the product because the backup should not be disturbed. We found without any changes to the network structure then the backups would be affected and I could not fix it by myself. I did not contact support for this, as it was probably due to the new update, but I am unsure. Now, I am monitoring this issue.

Six months.

Its application stability needs improvement. I have seen issues recently with it. Backups must have a very stable application. If your backup system is crashing, that means you cannot trust it.

We have nine locations. We do have plans to increase usage of the solution.

The IT department has five people who are administrators. One person configures the backups and others monitor the backups.

The technical support is good.

This BDR is the first proper solution that we are using. We previously used manual backups.

Initially, we had some problems when we tried to do the setup ourselves, but then the support helped us. They had a direct session with me and helped me with the installation. After that, it was fine.

The deployment is easy and fast. A location can be deployed in a day.

For each version, we have a dedicated BDR server and local storage. I schedule the backups. From there, we upload to the cloud storage. Therefore, each location will have their own BDR that will back up to the cloud.

The initial deployment to the cloud is important because once the backups are into operations making changes is not that flexible.

This solution helped us deliver an enterprise level data protection solution and reduced our budget by 50 percent. We spent $3,000 on Vembu's licenses where other solutions were almost double.

The competitor for Vembu is Veeam, who is very popular and famous. Vembu is good, but still has a long way to go. We found Vembu BDR to be more affordable.

Veeam is good for very high-end servers.

What other advice do I have?

Right now, we are satisfied with Vembu's operational performance and requirements. It is just a simple backup solution where we can backup all of our VMs.

Vembu allows you to implement a variety of different requirements.

I would rate the product as a six (out of 10). It needs some more work to be done in regards to product stability and functionality.

VV
System Engineer at ISB
A cost-effective backup that needs to improve by allowing for simultaneous monthly and weekly backup jobs

• "Because all our servers are hosted on VMware, the VMware backup is the most valuable feature. The integration and backup with VMware are very good."
  • "There are some limitation in Vembu that can be improved. When you take the backup from any server, the full incremental backup is limited. For example, if you run a weekly full backup and monthly backup, they cannot be run at the same time. I should not have to create a new job, but in this scenario, I am creating two jobs. The limitation is created because if I select monthly backup, then I cannot select weekly backup."

What is our primary use case?

Our daily scheduled backups are only with Vembu. We are using the disk based solution only.

We are a business school.

How has it helped my organization?

We have restored with the full backup. It was completely fine using Quick VM Recovery. The time frame depends on the size of the server, e.g., if it is 100 GB, then it will take an hour. Restoring would not be possible without Vembu.

What is most valuable?

The compression is fine because it is compressing the full backup files. For example, if our full backup is 100 GB, then it can be reduced down between 40 GB to 80 GB.

What needs improvement?

There are some limitation in Vembu that can be improved. When you take the backup from any server, the full incremental backup is limited. For example, if you run a weekly full backup and monthly backup, they cannot be run at the same time. I should not have to create a new job, but in this scenario, I am creating two jobs. The limitation is created because if I select monthly backup, then I cannot select weekly backup.

We have only been working with Vembu for a few months.

The performance is good. There are no issues with performance.

Backups are run at night, then we check them in the morning. We don't do active maintenance.

If we have multiple jobs running at the same time, then the performance will be reduced, e.g., if you run four or five jobs at once. If only one job is running, then the solution can be very fast.

It is deployed across our entire network, but we have a very small environment.

Their technical support is good and helpful. Their response time is as we expect it to be. If I raise a case, they will come back to me within half an hour to an hour at maximum.

Previously, we used Veeam Backup, but we replaced it with Vembu. We switched because Vembu is more cost-effective. So, price was a factor.

The initial setup is straightforward and doesn't take much time.

It takes two people to deploy it, e.g., a backup admin and I deployed it.

This solution has help us deliver an enterprise level data protection solution and reduced budgets.

With our manual backups, we can combine two or three jobs into one, taking three hours. We are reducing our time spent on backups by approximately two-thirds.

One month ago, we subscribed for one year.

At another organization, I have worked with Dell EMC NetWorker and Commvault (about two or three years ago). Dell EMC NetWorker can do the weekly and monthly backups that Vembu cannot.

What other advice do I have?

We are not using the deduplication feature. I am not 100 percent sure how the deduplication works on Vembu.

I would rate this solution as a seven out of 10. The product is good, but they need to resolve the multiple policies issue that is currently restricting us on the server.

Learn what your peers think about Vembu BDR Suite. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,305 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Shakeel Ahmed
IT Infrastructure Team Lead at a government with 201-500 employees
Provides us with cost-effective VM backup

• "It backs up our virtual machines with the CBT, Changed Block Tracking."
  • "The reports are at a basic level and there is room for improvement there. It only has historical reports and VM backup job-level reports."

What is our primary use case?

We have a multi-tenant environment with multi-cloud, but we are only using this for our local data center backups. This is a small setup with around 50 to 60 VMs.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to back up our local virtual machines. Without backup we could end up in very critical situations.

What is most valuable?

It backs up our virtual machines with the CBT, Changed Block Tracking. This is a common feature. We don't have a complex hierarchy here because we have a local data center with minimal use.

The compression ratio is fine and the deduplication is as well. We are not using the encryption feature yet, as we only deployed it recently. We may use it later on.

What needs improvement?

The reports are at a basic level and there is room for improvement there. It only has historical reports and VM backup job-level reports.

I have been using BDR Suite for about three or four months.

The stability is okay, it's running fine. Up to now we haven't had any negative issues.

Technical support is good. Whenever I raise a ticket they reply in a timely fashion.

Our basic goal is the backup of our infrastructure. We chose this platform because it's cost-effective.

The initial setup is very straightforward. The solution is very easy. It's not a complex one where we need to follow detailed diagrams. I installed and tested everything and it's running fine now.

Initially, I had some issues but I fixed them myself. When I deployed this tool it was having issues with some virtual machines, specifically with Windows 2019. Fortunately, I was able to fix that issue by updating the Windows version to the latest software.

The whole setup took one or two days, including the installation and configuration of servers.

Fixing the issue I mentioned took some days because I need to update the servers. Otherwise, the overall deployment did not take a long time.

In terms of a deployment plan, before deployment I considered my whole environment and then I started the deployment. Our IT team is just three or four people and I did it myself.

I didn't need too much help for Vembu, other than for licensing. They helped me on the licensing purchase.

The pricing is very good compared to Veeam. Veeam is very well-known software for backup and replication, and comparing Vembu to that, from the financial aspect, Vembu is very good.

I deployed Veeam and it worked very well, but the problem was that its price was very high. As a result, I searched for another solution and found Vembu. I deployed it and we have been happy with it. For us, the major difference was the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Our environment is at a very basic level. We don't have multi-level vCenters or cloud. Vembu BDR Suite is working fine for us. Right now we have only three hosts with virtual machines and it's okay for us.

Overall, this suite is very good. It has features which we use like a backup proxy and test processing. It delivers an enterprise-level data protection solution and helps us reduce our budget. It's cost-effective.

RB
Network Administrator at a non-profit with 201-500 employees
Restoring is easy but support requests should be answered more quickly

• "It's easy to restore."
  • "It's not that stable yet. Every two weeks, my backup will stop and I have to check it."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our file server and database backups.

How has it helped my organization?

It hasn't improved the way our company functions that much because we were using a backup which is about the same as Vembu.

What is most valuable?

The restore feature is the most valuable. It's easy to restore.

We've been using Vembu for less than a year.

It's not that stable yet. Every two weeks, my backup will stop and I have to check it. Sometimes it can be fixed by a restart and sometimes I need support to make it work.

It's scalable. It is being used extensively in our environment, but there are no plans to increase usage. During the season, we're around 200 employees and we back up about 4 TBs.

Support is very important. But sometimes they respond to me four hours after I contact them, maybe more. I would like them to improve their response time. Also, their time zone is different from US/Canada.

Overall, support is very good, but their reaction takes a while.

We were using Zenith ARCA. We switched to Vembu because of the licensing cost. Vembu is cheaper.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's just "click" and "okay."

The deployment took an hour or two. The installation plan was to store things locally. We have an online license for the offsite service, but we don't have the proper device installed yet. It requires a more sophisticated machine.

Initially, I worked on it myself. But, due to some errors, I asked support to reinstall it, to fix it. They were good.

We have seen a return on investment from going with Vembu.

The pricing is pretty normal. It's not too hard to license a server. It's pretty straightforward. If you need four servers, you just acquire four.

We evaluated Ipirius. We went with Vembu because of its features. It's similar to what we were using previously.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for a not-too-expensive solution, use the Vembu BDR Suite.

There are three people on our team who can access the server, who can actually operate it: an IT associate, supervisor, and system admin. In terms of maintenance, I ask their support to do it.

Overall, I would rate Vembu at seven out of 10. It's not perfect yet. It doesn't give me confidence that it will run 24/7.

NE
Information Technology Analyst 3 at a retailer with 51-200 employees
compression, encryption, and deduplication features all work fine

• "The compression, encryption, and deduplication features all work fine."
  • "The system died twice and it was apparently the result of corrupted disk sectors. I tried to work with tech support to fix it, but they essentially gave up. So twice, I had to rebuild our server."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for backing up VMs.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using it with VMware and the benefit is that we have reliable backups.

What is most valuable?

It's pretty basic backup stuff. I set it up and it just runs.

The compression, encryption, and deduplication features all work fine.

What needs improvement?

The system died twice and it was apparently the result of corrupted disk sectors. I tried to work with tech support to fix it, but they essentially gave up. So twice, I had to rebuild our server. I don't know why that happened and tech support didn't seem particularly concerned about figuring it out. That's my only complaint.

We've been using Vembu BDR Suite for about a year.

It did completely die twice and couldn't be revived. If that happens again, we're probably going to look at another product. My only concern is the stability.

We're not likely to be adding too many more VMs anytime soon. So I don't have any way of judging the scalability. We might deploy it on another site. We'll see about that.

Technical support is good but the problem I have is that I often can't understand the technicians because they have extremely heavy accents, and that makes communication kind of difficult.

We were using VDP, which is a free application from ESX. But it's not very good, in fact it's awful, and it's no longer supported. We replaced it with Vembu and we're quite happy.

The initial setup is simple. It didn't take more than a day or so, including testing. I got a trial version and decided it did what we want it to do and then I just set it up.

The solution provides us with enterprise-level data protection.

The pricing is quite reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

If you can't afford Veeam, which is very expensive, I would recommend Vembu.

Vembu is used by me and another system administrator. That's it. We manage it, but it only requires one person for deployment and maintenance.

Our end-users don't know it's there.

Forrest Wu
Sr. Specialist, IT at WWF-Canada
Improved our business continuity; it has helped us recover from a few incidences

• "It has improved our business continuity."
  • "The support is a bit slow in resolving an issue. It takes a long time to recover."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to backup VMware virtual machines, so I'm backing up my VMware environment. My product is for Windows Server Backup.

We are a small business. We don't use the enterprise version of the solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our business continuity.

We have used this solution to recover from a few incidences.

What is most valuable?

The firewall backup is the most valuable feature. We need it sometimes when we recover a single file.

The compression is the most useful feature for me.

What needs improvement?

The product's stability needs some improvements.

One year.

The solution is 90 percent stable. It is running well. The availability is good.

Two or three employees are needed for deployment and maintenance of the solution.

I only have two servers. I don't test other servers.

We don't count our users for this solution as it is a backup service.

I would rate the technical support as eight or nine (out of 10). I would like them to improve their response rate.

This was our first product.

The initial setup was neither simple nor complex; it was intermediate. It took four hours to set up/deploy. We implemented it into a very simple environment (Windows Server Backup).

We deployed it ourselves.

We have seen ROI with Vembu. The solution is worth it based on the few times that we used it for recovery.

We tested three products. One of the other products that we evaluated was Altaro.

We chose Vembu because the compatibility was better.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Vembu. We have been mostly satisfied with the solution. We plan to keep using it.

Overall, I would rate the product as a nine (out of 10).