Veritas Backup Exec Overview

Veritas Backup Exec is the #11 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Veritas Backup Exec vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Veritas Backup Exec?

Backup Exec delivers powerful, flexible, and easy-to-use backup and recovery to protect your entire infrastructure whether built upon virtual, physical, or a combination of both. Backup Exec is licensed per media server, agent and option.

Veritas Backup Exec is also known as Backup Exec, Symantec Backup Exec.

Veritas Backup Exec Buyer's Guide

Download the Veritas Backup Exec Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Veritas Backup Exec Customers

Beta Offshore

Veritas Backup Exec Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Veritas Backup Exec pricing:
  • "There is an evaluation license available to test this solution."
  • "It is a mid-range solution on the pricing scale."

SP
IT Network Analyst at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Excellent backup capabilities with good technical support and a fairly easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution daily for daily backups and weekly for full backups and monthly for the stuff that gets sent off-site.

• "The backup potential of the solution is very good. It's protected us in the past very well and allowed us to get up and running after an attack with minimal loss."
  • "Something within the software itself isn't quite right. There may be a bug or glitch. It will work fine for weeks and then all of a sudden it just tanks."

What other advice do I have?

We're currently considering looking for a new solution. We want to see what is out there. This product is also quite expensive. Having a reliable backup is essential to your company. For example, we were using this product to back up one of our servers that got the CryptoLocker virus. We were able to go back and restore it to just a few hours previous to the attack and we were able to get everybody right back up and running within a day, in less than a day's time. It absolutely could have just spread right through the whole environment had we not caught it. This solution gave us the ability to…
IT Specialist at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
A solution with a good maintenance interface and excellent backup features

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as thumbprints for backups.

• "The dashboard was good. I loved to see the maintenance dashboard every time I logged on. That was my first screen because it always gave me a reminder of how many days before my next renewal."
  • "The cost is quite high. Along with the general costs, the supposed agents that you have to buy for the various options that you want to use ends up driving the costs higher as well."

What other advice do I have?

We used the on-premise version of the solution. The dashboard was good. I loved to see the maintenance dashboard every time I logged on. That was my first screen because it always gave me a reminder of how many days before my next renewal. I have evaluated the solution against other applications, and it is quite stable, but if you want to compare it to what other applications are offering, then I would say that I would hesitate if I have to make that recommendation that others should use it. I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.
Learn what your peers think about Veritas Backup Exec. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
501,499 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Network Administrator at MapnaBE
Fully compatible with different tape libraries and has easy user and file recovery

What is our primary use case?

I use it in many uses, for example for Microsoft Exchange and for databases, for active directory and file servers. I use Backup Exec because it has agents for different software and is based on your infrastructure.

• "Veritas Backup Exec is fully compatible with different tape libraries."
  • "A web console would be great because nowadays a lot of products are web-based and you can access the console from various environments. So I would recommend bringing this feature in the next solution."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Veritas Backup Exec an eight. I would advise that it's not important which product you use because I think most of the products are good quality and nowadays have at least a standard because of technological enhancements, but it's more important to understand the concept of back-up and recovery. For example, how many jobs are needed, what is your infrastructure, what storage do you need, things like that. Having knowledge of data and back-up recovery is more important than the actual solution. It's not important which tools you use, because nowadays all…
System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Gives us a good view of what's happening on the network and it's now easier for us to correct and to troubleshoot network issues

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for authentication, we check for authentication issues. The app allows users to only access the network according to the policy that the organization provides.

• "The solution is very scalable. Whenever we grew, it was just a matter of adding new licenses, so it's easy to grow."
  • "In terms of improvements, I think the pricing model could be improved. They charge you by port, for every port that you have even if you're not using all of them."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises version of the solution. For what we need, for how we're using the solution, it does what it's supposed to do. If I were to give advice about the product to others, I would say that it's a very simple solution and it does pretty much what it's supposed to do. We haven't had any problems with it for the past six or seven years. I would rate the solution at nine out of ten. It's helped us tremendously over the years in locating all kinds of issues that we had on the network. It also finds any issues very quickly. I would recommend it.
KO
Chief Technology Officer/Director at a tech company with 11-50 employees
Supports differential backup, as well as granular file restore from specific points in backup history

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider, and some of my clients are using this solution. The primary use case is to back up system applications such as SQL databases and Microsoft Exchange. It is also for backing up the user's files, which are kept on the server. This solution will back up your server, and it will work on both Windows and Linux. My experience is with an on-premises deployment model.

• "This solution is not complex and you do not have to be too technical to use it."
  • "The price of this solution is very high."

What other advice do I have?

Depending on the size of the data being backed up, it can take a couple of hours to complete. This is a solution that keeps evolving with technology. They know the trend of cyber attacks, so Veritas try as much as possible to build up their backup solution to combat whatever attack is in trend. They recently sent me a document that shows that their data protection can mitigate against ransomware. This is good for enterprise clients because it shows that they are thinking of their customers. A lot of organizations today are afraid of ransomware, and Veritas is ensuring that they are…
Technical Services Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Offers a more predictable backup and recovery process and has many features

What is our primary use case?

Primarily we use the solution for our ERP, databases, and applications.

• "The beauty of the solution is that you can rely on it. It offers a quick recovery time when it's backing up items. The way it recovers data is excellent."
  • "The licensing packet is confusing. If Veritas could do a better job of clarifying it, that would be helpful."

What other advice do I have?

We're a reseller of this solution. We also use an on-premises version in our offices. It is the most preferred backup solution for data protection for our customers. We use it ourselves for our production environment backup. Whoever is accessing our server, whoever is accessing the sources, is using it. It's mandatory for our organization to understand the product. Everyone including the sales team, the pre-sales, the technical guys, etc., everybody knows the product. If you are looking for a safe and reliable solution, I would recommend it. If you're looking for something new, or something…
Manager - Backup & DR Global Infrastructure at TMF Group
Easily restore data with this package designed for simple environments

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is that we are using it for backup mostly with Hyper-V service.

• "The product makes it easy to restore data."
  • "It could be improved in the area of reporting and ease-of-use."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering this product would be to know how many servers have to be covered and the complexity of the environment as well as the capabilities of Backup Exec. Veritas cannot handle a complex environment very well. It is really only designed for a simple environment. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I can rate Veritas Backup Exec as somewhere around eight. It has some very good capabilities but limitations with system complexity, user-friendliness, and depth of reporting.
Virtualization Specialist at dk
Easy to install and learn with extensive forums for support

What is our primary use case?

We have an on-premise deployment with a master server and five media servers. There is also Tape Libraries included and the maturity of the solution let us backup everything with assurance.

• "I have not seen another backup solution as scalable as this one."
  • "The user interface needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I have suggested this solution to four of five people. For big companies, with more than fifty people, I recommend this product completely. However, for companies with less than fifty people, I don't suggest it. For the installation, you need at least two servers and a tape librarian. This is a good enterprise-level solution. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
See 13 more Veritas Backup Exec Reviews
Download our free Veritas Backup Exec Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.