Veritas Backup Exec OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Veritas Backup Exec is the #16 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Veritas Backup Exec vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Veritas Backup Exec?

Backup Exec delivers powerful, flexible, and easy-to-use backup and recovery to protect your entire infrastructure whether built upon virtual, physical, or a combination of both. Backup Exec is licensed per media server, agent and option.

Veritas Backup Exec is also known as Backup Exec, Symantec Backup Exec.

Veritas Backup Exec Buyer's Guide

Download the Veritas Backup Exec Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Veritas Backup Exec Customers

Beta Offshore

Veritas Backup Exec Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Veritas Backup Exec pricing:
  • "There is an evaluation license available to test this solution."
  • "It is a mid-range solution on the pricing scale."
  • "It has a good price-value ratio. Its price-value ratio is better than Veeam."

Veritas Backup Exec Reviews

SP
IT Network Analyst at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Excellent backup capabilities with good technical support and a fairly easy initial setup

• "The backup potential of the solution is very good. It's protected us in the past very well and allowed us to get up and running after an attack with minimal loss."
  • "Something within the software itself isn't quite right. There may be a bug or glitch. It will work fine for weeks and then all of a sudden it just tanks."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution daily for daily backups and weekly for full backups and monthly for the stuff that gets sent off-site.

How has it helped my organization?

As far as if we need to restore a file, the solution absolutely has improved the way our organization functions. It saves us a lot of time. We're backing up all of our servers with it.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The product needs to be consistent. Within the process itself, a lot of times it will hang on the jobs and you have to then restart all the services to get it to release. The job rate sometimes just randomly will tank. Therefore, you have to stop jobs and restart them in order to get them back at a quicker pace. Those are probably the two worst features.

Something within the software itself isn't quite right. There may be a bug or glitch. It will work fine for weeks and then all of a sudden it just tanks.

I've been using the solution for about 12 years, however, it's my understanding that the company itself has likely used it longer.

We've found some sort of bug or glitch in the solution that makes it a bit unpredictable. It will work fine for weeks and then all of a sudden it just stops and takes a dive.

That said, it's pretty stable. I would probably say, it is at least 90% stable. It's that 10% where the job rates have a little bit of a problem. I was hoping that this newest version would be better, however, it has the same issues as older versions.

The solution's scalability is actually getting better. I have not tried to go into the virtual world with it, however, it says that the product can do it. I've not tried it due to the fact that we're using the other products for it, and have Veeam for a virtual solution.

There are three of us that would potentially could go into the product to use it. That includes a network administrator and myself.

At this point, we don't have plans to increase usage.

I have never used technical support personally just yet. The previous administrator had to for a couple of different issues and they mentioned that support was good.

I'm not sure if a different solution was ever used. I've been at this company for 12 years and we have only used it. They used it even before I arrived. I'm not sure if anything came before it.

The initial implementation was actually fairly easy. It was pretty straightforward. I actually just rebuilt it and put it onto a newer server. It is actually very easy.

I had deployed within a day due to the fact that I was familiar with it. If somebody wasn't familiar with it, might take them up to a couple of days to do it. I was very familiar with it and therefore could do it pretty fast. It took me just a few hours or probably a day's worth of work to get everything in there, the way I wanted it.

We do not require any additional staff for deployment and maintenance.

We handled the implementation in-house. We didn't require a consultant or reseller to assist us.

Any time any of these products can back up your systems so that you can quickly restore them or restore files is most definitely beneficial to your company.

The solution is not the cheapest option. It's pretty pricey.

Although I know that we pay for it yearly, in March, I'm not sure of the exact costs.

The pricing goes by different types of databases that you're backing up. It's more expensive, for example, if you have an SQL database depending on what you're backing up.

I don't recall paying anything beyond a standard licensing fee for the product.

What other advice do I have?

We're currently considering looking for a new solution. We want to see what is out there. This product is also quite expensive.

Having a reliable backup is essential to your company. For example, we were using this product to back up one of our servers that got the CryptoLocker virus. We were able to go back and restore it to just a few hours previous to the attack and we were able to get everybody right back up and running within a day, in less than a day's time. It absolutely could have just spread right through the whole environment had we not caught it. This solution gave us the ability to be able to get back up with minimal data loss.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. If they were able to take out some of the bugs we have found I'd rate it higher.

MasoudGhorbani
Senior Network Administrator at MapnaBE
Fully compatible with different tape libraries and has easy user and file recovery

• "Veritas Backup Exec is fully compatible with different tape libraries."
  • "A web console would be great because nowadays a lot of products are web-based and you can access the console from various environments. So I would recommend bringing this feature in the next solution."

What is our primary use case?

I use it in many uses, for example for Microsoft Exchange and for databases, for active directory and file servers. I use Backup Exec because it has agents for different software and is based on your infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

I remember in the 2010 version you needed to have two jobs per data source; one job for full backup and another job for a differential. But now you can merge both of them into a single record and have different schedules for them. The results and the interface are better now, and there is no extra knowledge needed for using this. It is very simple.

What is most valuable?

I prefer to use a tape library and Veritas Backup Exec is fully compatible with different tape libraries. So I prefer this software.

Of course, all of the solutions are agent-based, but granular recovery, GTR, works well in Backup Exec. It was Symantec in the past. I can easily recover a user or a file. It mainly works directly to the original location, which is why I prefer to use it.

What needs improvement?

In the past, it was not user-friendly. But nowadays it's very user friendly. But it could be better if it had a web-based interface.

I want to have a user-friendly interface for virtualization. Now virtualization doesn't have an extra interface. A great interface would be good. And maybe it would be better if they launched a virtual appliance.

I have been using Veritas Backup Exec for at least six or seven years.

I am still working with it on daily projects.

It is stable. It's like other Windows based services. You turn down the tape library and want to restart services. I think it would be better to be more intelligent about these changes. For example, when I want to turn off the tape library and turn it back on, it would be better if there was no need to restart the services. Sometimes I need to restart services or even sometimes I need to restart the server in order to bring up the tape library or ABS.

I don't know how compatible it is with a cloud environment, but for scalability for SMB companies it's good because you could have one central management and deploy different servers in different areas and manage it in a single, central point. I think it is good for SMB's.

Generally, I use this solution for servers and not for clients.

It is good for small and medium clients. Although I think that it would not be popular with enterprise companies. I don't have experience in a closed environment. But I think if you don't have this environment, it would be good and suitable for them too.

Generally, Web Backup is more complex, but Backup Exec is easy to use.

The initial setup is not very complex. I've deployed in different projects, but installation was the easiest part for me. Having a good plan for the backup solution is more complex than installation, I think. You have to consider the concurrent back-up jobs and the speed and data growth.

It is good that you don't need to install an extra database.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Veritas Backup Exec an eight.

I would advise that it's not important which product you use because I think most of the products are good quality and nowadays have at least a standard because of technological enhancements, but it's more important to understand the concept of back-up and recovery. For example, how many jobs are needed, what is your infrastructure, what storage do you need, things like that. Having knowledge of data and back-up recovery is more important than the actual solution.

It's not important which tools you use, because nowadays all the solutions, for example, Veeam, are good. It's better to know what you want and to have good knowledge of back-up and recovery concepts, for example, storage, data, data growth, SQL, etc.

Learn what your peers think about Veritas Backup Exec. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KO
Chief Technology Officer/Director at a tech company with 11-50 employees
Supports differential backup, as well as granular file restore from specific points in backup history

• "This solution is not complex and you do not have to be too technical to use it."
  • "The price of this solution is very high."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider, and some of my clients are using this solution.

The primary use case is to back up system applications such as SQL databases and Microsoft Exchange. It is also for backing up the user's files, which are kept on the server.

This solution will back up your server, and it will work on both Windows and Linux.

My experience is with an on-premises deployment model.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows my clients to restore a backup from a specific point in time.

What is most valuable?

This solution creates a differential backup to reduce storage requirements.

This solution is not complex and you do not have to be too technical to use it.

Veritas offers granular restore, which is an option that many other solutions do not have. It allows you to restore, for example, a single SharePoint document, rather than an entire site.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution is very high. It has a lot of features, but it is still kind of expensive for emerging markets, for example, in Africa. The problem comes from the fact that it costs more to back up the data than it is actually worth. A client may ask: "Why should I spend ten thousand dollars to back up data that is worth only two thousand?" They need to have a customizable license, or a different license for countries with emergent markets, such as Nigeria. Nigeria is a very big market, with a population of two hundred million, but it is also a competitive market and products need to be priced competitively in order to remain.

I would like to see an unlimited appliance that does not have a backup limit. If I have a customer who chooses to use the backup appliance then they should not be limited to, for example, ten terabytes.

This solution is very stable.

This solution scales very easily. As soon as you add a new server, it backs it up immediately.

Technical support for this solution is very good. When you run into a problem you can call them at any time. They respond very quickly and are ready to assist you.

The initial setup of this solution is not difficult. It takes between forty-five minutes and an hour to set up.

I deploy this solution for my clients, and I contact Vertias if I have any trouble. They ensure that you have a successful implementation.

Depending on the size of the environment, the deployment can take two or three days.

The number of people required to maintain this solution depends on the complexity of the environment, but I would say that one or two people is sufficient.

When my customers see the price of this solution, they are unsure whether they will ever see a return on their investment.

There is an evaluation license available to test this solution.

My clients have used Micro Focus Data Protector (when it was called HP Data Protector), and they were not satisfied with it.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on the size of the data being backed up, it can take a couple of hours to complete.

This is a solution that keeps evolving with technology. They know the trend of cyber attacks, so Veritas try as much as possible to build up their backup solution to combat whatever attack is in trend. They recently sent me a document that shows that their data protection can mitigate against ransomware. This is good for enterprise clients because it shows that they are thinking of their customers.

A lot of organizations today are afraid of ransomware, and Veritas is ensuring that they are strengthening their data protection to combat or mitigate such attacks. It is something that any enterprise needs to embrace.

I have used other data protection solutions and I see Veritas as one of the best in the market. This solution also has options, such as granular restore, that are not available in other products.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Suman Jha
Manager - Backup & DR Global Infrastructure at TMF Group
Easily restore data with this package designed for simple environments

• "The product makes it easy to restore data."
  • "It could be improved in the area of reporting and ease-of-use."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is that we are using it for backup mostly with Hyper-V service.

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to step up to a better backup routine from the previous product we were using.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for me are the ease of restoring the data and the backup window.

What needs improvement?

I think that the one place the product could improve the most is in user-friendliness. If you compare it with Veritas' NetBackup, for example, that difference is pretty clear. They could take a lesson from their own products.

Capability-wise the Backup Exec product is very good, but the lack of user-friendliness means people struggle to find and use some of the interesting features that would otherwise benefit from. They will miss utilizing those capabilities.

Reporting capabilities are not up to the standard of other products. If you compare the reports which we get from NetBackup, those contain a lot of information that we need and do not get with Backup Exec. By comparison, the Backup Exec reports are pretty simple.

Better reporting capability and a more user-friendly design would greatly improve usability.

We have been using Veritas for backup for close to five years now.

We have not seen any glitches in the product's function. It has always been stable and reliable.

It is easy to scale the solution. There is a limitation to the size or complexity of the environment that it will be optimal for, but it is scalable.

The technical support is pretty good. We have reached out for Backup Exec and we have gotten the support that we needed.

We were using Data Protection Manager prior to Backup Exec. We switched to Veritas because we saw by comparison that it was a better product for our situation with more capabilities.

The setup was simple. I do not really remember exactly how much time it took to set up because it has been quite some time now, but I know that we did not have issues getting it up and running.

The setup was done by a small team from within our company without the help of a vendor or integrator. The team was mostly made up of engineers within the company. The product has remained in place for about five years.

It requires maintenance from our side. Usually, it is mostly the admins managing it, so that is about four people in our case.

The cost of Veritas is really mid-range for this class of product, I would say. Everything is included in one license and there are no additional, hidden costs.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering this product would be to know how many servers have to be covered and the complexity of the environment as well as the capabilities of Backup Exec. Veritas cannot handle a complex environment very well. It is really only designed for a simple environment.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I can rate Veritas Backup Exec as somewhere around eight. It has some very good capabilities but limitations with system complexity, user-friendliness, and depth of reporting.

Pawel Augustyn
System Senior Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good stability, good price-value ratio, and easy to use for backup, encryption, and restore operations

• "It has good stability. Its interface is very good, responsive, and easy for restoring data. I use it for backup, encryption, and restore operations, and it works. I am using many agents from VM to LMDP. I also use an agent for SQL Server, which has advanced options because it is the Enterprise version."
  • "It is currently missing the dynamic backup feature for virtual machines, which is available in NetWorker. I can create politics in NetWorker to add virtual machines with specific tags, but I cannot do this in Backup Exec, which is a minus point for me. Currently, a user has to send a request to the Backup administrator to add a machine to the backup, but I should be able to create rules to automatically add a new machine to the backup. This kind of functionality is very important in current times, especially when we are using cloud solutions. I should be able to create more than one stream in a policy and specify how many streams I want to run in parallel in one policy. Currently, I have to manually create more policies to backup more than one virtual machine at the same time. Their support can also be improved in terms of response time."

What is most valuable?

It has good stability. Its interface is very good, responsive, and easy for restoring data. I use it for backup, encryption, and restore operations, and it works.

What needs improvement?

It is currently missing the dynamic backup feature for virtual machines, which is available in NetWorker. I can create politics in NetWorker to add virtual machines with specific tags, but I cannot do this in Backup Exec, which is a minus point for me. Currently, a user has to send a request to the Backup administrator to add a machine to the backup, but I should be able to create rules to automatically add a new machine to the backup. This kind of functionality is very important in current times, especially when we are using cloud solutions.

I should be able to create more than one stream in a policy and specify how many streams I want to run in parallel in one policy. Currently, I have to manually create more policies to backup more than one virtual machine at the same time.

Their support can also be improved in terms of response time.

I have been using this solution for two and a half years.

It is a stable product. There are no issues with its stability, but I am facing an issue with QNAP storage.

I use two types of storage for backup: Data Domain and QNAP. With QNAP, the backup server connects through iSCSI, and sometimes, I had problems with the stability of storage on QNAP through the iSCSI interface. I didn't have any such issue with Data Domain. I am trying to find a solution to this. I have tested the storage from Quantum, which is a good solution. Very soon, I will change from QNAP to the duplication storage from Quantum.

They are helpful, but they are not very fast. They respond, but it takes them 24 hours to send the first response, which is not good. I am using their standard support. They might have another better support.

Its initial setup was complex because I had an old version of Backup Exec, and I could not upgrade directly to version 20. I had to do a new installation and migrate the data. It was nice but complex.

It has a good price-value ratio. Its price-value ratio is better than Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

It has good replication, and it is better than other products. It is good for backing up not only VMs but also clients. It is also good for SQL Server and NDMP data servers.

I would rate Veritas Backup Exec an eight out of ten.

Vandy Va
Head Of IT Infrastructure at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Very fast with good backup capabilities but can be a bit expensive

• "The solution is very fast. It does not take a long time to backup everything."
  • "The pricing of the solution is a bit high."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for the backup capabilities of our whole system, including our applications. We don't use it as a VM backup, however. We're able to handle daily backups of everything and we tend to back up quite regularly.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very fast. It does not take a long time to backup everything.

We have a backup operator and admin that can handle the back up of the files on the database. They're able to handle all aspects of the solution quite easily.

It's very good at allowing us to back up the servers.

What needs improvement?

We had issues during the installation.

The solution is affected by internet congestion. It requires quite a bit of bandwidth in order to really work effectively.

The pricing of the solution is a bit high.

We've found the scalability to be a bit limiting.

I've been using the solution for about five years at this point. It's been a while.

The solution isn't really giving us what we need. We're seeing some limitations and we're finding it doesn't support us in the way we need it to. Therefore, we are looking at potentially moving off of it in the near future.

Normally we have about 17 people on the system, and three core people that handle the solution directly.

I'd advise a company, if it is smaller, or needs a comprehensive solution or a virtual environment, that Veritas may not be the best option.

We mostly worked with technical support via a portal for customer support. Largely, we've been happy with their level of service. They call us when we have issues and they help in whatever way they can.

The initial setup can be a bit complex. We had to adjust some settings on one server in order to finalize the deployment.

The solution operates on a subscription basis. A company pays yearly. They also need to pay extra for technical support access.

We're currently looking at other options We're considering moving away from the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

The solution is a bit expensive. The trade magazines seem to imply that you can do a virtual environment for almost the same price, which would be better.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. It's okay. It could be better in a variety of ways.

Ricardo Christie
Tape Library Associate at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A great back-up solution that recovers data, applications, databases and systems

• "The ease-of-use in general is great."
  • "If you keep it for too long and the catalog gets really big, the application tends to move slowly."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for file backups. We use it for Veeam, Exchange, and Sharepoint.

Within our organization, roughly five people had access to this solution.

What is most valuable?

The ease-of-use in general is great.

What needs improvement?

What I didn't like about it is that sometimes, even though it says that it's successful, there are some bugs in it — it's not really successful. Sometimes, I would do a backup and it would say that it was successful but then when I tried to restore it, it's not in the catalog to restore. Then I have to go digging into my email to see if I have a copy of that catalog, then go and find it and restore it. In short, I think there is an issue with the cataloging.

Other than that, it runs pretty fine. If you keep it for too long and the catalog gets really big, the application tends to move slowly because of how big the catalog and the database is getting. We kept on upgrading to the newer version; after a while, it just began to move slow, even if we updated and imported the catalog and the data.

I have been using Veritas Backup Exec since 2015.

Veritas Backup Exec is quite stable.

For small enterprises, Backup Exec works flawlessly; However, they were trying to push us to their bigger enterprise backup, which was NetBackup. When I left my previous company, we were actually in the phase of implementing NetBackup. They recommend NetBackup for larger enterprises.

Overall, It scales up, but only to a certain point. If you want something bigger, you should look into NetBackup.

I would give the technical support a rating of seven. Sometimes it feels like their reps are not trained enough.

The initial setup was quite straightforward. I didn't try to make it any more complex than it already was.

Deployment is really quick; It took us less than one day.

What other advice do I have?

It's very easy to use. It's easier than all of the other backup solutions available. In terms of ease-of-use, Backup Exec is the most straightforward one that I have dealt with.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

PK
Desktop Support Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, simple to set up, and offers good technical support

• "The flexibility is very good."
  • "There needs to be an integration process of the endpoint devices so that we don't have to redo everything for different products."

What is our primary use case?

It's great for the kind of customer who doesn't have a dedicated database environment. They only use it for file folders or a NAS system backup, or a few files or folder-level backups for the system.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The flexibility is very good.

We find that the solution is very easy to use.

The initial setup is very easy. It doesn't take too long to deploy everything.

The technical support is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

We are not able to initiate our endpoint device backup on it. For the endpoint devices, I have to depend on the DLO.

We need more integration capabilities. There needs to be an integration process of the endpoint devices so that we don't have to redo everything for different products.

I've been using the solution for about seven years or so. I've used it for a while.

We have found the stability to be quite good. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and the performance is great.

We have about 35 to 40 people who use the solution. It's good for companies with a smaller infrastructure setup.

Technical support is great. We're satisfied with the level of service they provide to us.

The initial setup is not complex or difficult. It's very straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the implementation process.

The installation takes maybe two or three hours. It's pretty fast.

We have the same team that handles deployment and maintenance.

I handed the implementation myself. I didn't use an integrator or consultant.

We are currently not paying for a license.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the solution for mid-range customers or customers that have a very small infrastructure setup.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. Overall, we've had a great experience with its capabilities.

I'd recommend the solution to others. Of course, it needs to be as per the customer requirements. In many environments, we are currently recommending the NetApp Backup or this Backup Exec. It's completely dependent on the customer environment.

Download our free Veritas Backup Exec Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.