Florent ADODO
IT Assistant at Hotel 2 Fevrier
Good performance, good backup options, and a lot of documentation, but needs better scalability

• "It is responding very well, and its performance is good. It has a lot of options. For backup, you can connect it to a cloud or a physical hard drive. They also provide an API for integration with different platforms and products. However, we have not integrated it with another product."
  • "Its scalability should be improved."

What is most valuable?

It is responding very well, and its performance is good. It has a lot of options. For backup, you can connect it to a cloud or a physical hard drive.

They also provide an API for integration with different platforms and products. However, we have not integrated it with another product.

What needs improvement?

Its scalability should be improved.

I have been using this solution for four years.

It is stable.

It is scalable, but its scalability should be improved. Currently, we are using it for 15 computers. When we tried to increase its usage to 17 computers, it was very slow.

I never required technical support from the vendor because they provided a lot of documentation with the product.

I had some difficulties in the first two months. I read most of the information and highlighted a few things, and since then, it is fine. For every update, they provide a lot of documentation.

Before Veritas Backup Exec, we were using a solution provided by a South African company called Vox Group. They used to monitor directly from each office. They had their own interface monitoring for monitoring the devices.

Its installation is very simple. It took around one hour.

It is also very simple to upgrade. I just need to launch the new version. Upgrade also takes around one hour. There are some files that we need to upload. We also need to install some drivers and check the compatibility. Every version comes with a driver pack that we need to install.

The first installation was done by a vendor. They did a remote installation. Their company is based in Belgium.

For the monitoring of this solution, we have only two people. My colleague and I handle its monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for a company with around 15 computers. When we tried to increase its usage to 17 computers, it was very slow. We plan to keep using this solution for now. Later on, if we find something more scalable, we will switch to that.

I would rate Veritas Backup Exec a six out of ten.

Pawel Augustyn
System Senior Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A good interface that makes file restoration easy

• "The interface for this solution is excellent, and it is easy to restore files compared to other solutions."
  • "I would like to be able to create a restore task that can be scheduled so that the same restore action will be performed automatically."

What is our primary use case?

This is our backup and recovery solution.

We are using the on-premise deployment model to backup virtual machines, nas resources and MS  SQL.

How has it helped my organization?

We have felt better when we know that our we have had backup copies.
We have been making restore test of all backup resources.

What is most valuable?

Encryption of data backup on tapes

What needs improvement?

I have found the duplication to be very poor.

It is not clear how to automate processes using the command line interface.

I would like to be able to create a restore task that can be scheduled so that the same restore action will be performed automatically. As it is now, if I want to restore the same resource or the same system for testing then I have to create a job task from scratch. Having an automatic restore would save me time.

The problems I have had seem to be related to integrating the solution.

I have been using this solution for two years.

enough stability, but need to clear logs manually

I din't try it yet.

Enough  ok,

other company = other solution

The initial setup of this solution is complex.

I performed the deployment myself.

One of the cheapest backup solution.

What other advice do I have?

Choosing a backup and recovery system is something that depends on the size of the resources in your environment.

Rating this product is tough because I have had problems with the integration. In this context, I would rate this solution a six out of ten. However, the solution is good and if I were using a new installation, I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Overall, I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Veritas Backup Exec. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
542,029 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Data Center Administrator at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Reasonably priced, stable and scales well, but the console is complicated

• "Veritas is good for small environments."
  • "In the future, their console should not be complicated."

What is our primary use case?

Veritas is used for standalone servers. such as physical servers We also use it for backups.

What is most valuable?

Veritas is good for small environments.

It's a good product.

What needs improvement?

In one console, you will see a variety of things. In my opinion, it should be simple and straightforward. It is currently a little complicated.

It is not straightforward to click the drives.

Even assigning the tapes to the media pole is difficult when compared to Veeam.

Some of the steps, are to assign, create a set, then a media set, for example.

In the future, their console should not be complicated. For example, When you compare with Veeam it has multiple columns on one side itself where you can browse all of the features. With Veritas, it is not like that at all, it goes to the next window, then the next window, and continues that way to view the features.

Veritas Backup Exec is a stable product.

The scalability of Veritas Backup Exec is good.

Technical support is adequate, but it could be improved.

We are also using Veeam and Symantec.

Veeam is completely different when it comes to virtualization, such as virtual machines.

We use Veeam for the majority of our backups.

If I had to rate Veeam, I would give it a ten out of ten.

It is not an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Veritas Backup Exec a six out of ten.

LI
Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Flexible, reasonable-priced, and it allows for backing up data from both on-premises and the cloud

• "This is a very flexible product, which allows you to back up not only the physical environment but also the cloud environment."
  • "The integration with SaaS applications like Office 365 needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Veritas Backup Exec is one of the backup and recovery solutions that we implement for our clients. This product is used to implement a backup repository to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

This is a very flexible product, which allows you to back up not only the physical environment but also the cloud environment. It has a lot of system and application support.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if it were possible to maintain the information that is in the cloud. The integration with SaaS applications like Office 365 needs to be improved.

We have been selling Veritas Backup Exec for a few months, and Veritas NetBackup for 14 years.

This is a stable solution.

Veritas Backup Exec is a scalable product. This product is used for smaller customers, whereas NetBackup is used more as an enterprise solution.

I have not had end-user experience with the Veritas technical support.

We also work with Veritas NetBackup.

I am not familiar with the installation process, but my understanding is that it's simple.

This product is priced for smaller customers.

What other advice do I have?

Veritas Backup Exec is a product that I can recommend to others.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

DD
CAD Engineer at a manufacturing company with 11-50 employees
Great backup solution with good file option feature, SQL and EM agent; user friendly

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is as backup for our file servers, SQL, things like that. We're a customer of Veritas and I'm a CAD engineer.

What is most valuable?

I like the open file option, SQL agent, and the EM agent. It's a user friendly solution.

What needs improvement?

This is a very good product. I've been comparing it to some DR solutions, there are some products that include disaster recovery which Veritas is lacking for now. It's possible that they will include it in the next release. We're looking for something with a DR backup.

I've been using this solution for 15 years.

In general, the stability is good, but we do sometimes…

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for 15 years.

In general, the stability is good, but we do sometimes have issues. The documentation is very good so any issues can be solved.

We are a small company and I'm the only person using this product so we haven't tried scaling it. I think the next version, NetBackup, includes the option to expand.

The technical support is very good.

The initial setup is straightforward and only takes about half an hour. We do upgrade patches when new releases come through and also carry out regular maintenance.

The pricing of this solution is moderate, I believe.

SA
Project Manager at a non-profit with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Easy to install and manage, stable and scalable, but the pricing could be improved

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and reseller. We use this solution for a client.

What is most valuable?

Veritas Backup Exec is easily managed.

What needs improvement?

The pricing is an area of improvement and the mode of marketing it.

I have been using Veritas Backup Exec for more than five years. I began using it before it became Veritas, it was previously a product under Symantec.

Stability is one of the best features of Veritas Backup Exec.

Veritas Backup Exec is a scalable product. Most of our clients are medium and enterprise-sized organizations.

The…

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and reseller. We use this solution for a client.

What is most valuable?

Veritas Backup Exec is easily managed.

What needs improvement?

The pricing is an area of improvement and the mode of marketing it.

Stability is one of the best features of Veritas Backup Exec.

Veritas Backup Exec is a scalable product.

Most of our clients are medium and enterprise-sized organizations.

The technical support is okay.

We don't use the support frequently, only when there is a problem.

We have worked with other solutions before Veritas Backup Exec.

The initial setup is easy and quite user-friendly.

The pricing can be improved.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend purchasing this solution and try it yourself.

I would rate Veritas Backup Exec a seven out of ten.

GT
Executive Head Cloud Services at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reseller
Stable, reliable, and comes with good support

• "Its reliability and the fact that we have all the skills that we need for Veritas Backup Exec are the most valuable."
  • "They can improve the reporting component. The reports aren't user-friendly at all. You have to download them to Excel to get statistics."

What is most valuable?

Its reliability and the fact that we have all the skills that we need for Veritas Backup Exec are the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

They can improve the reporting component. The reports aren't user-friendly at all. You have to download them to Excel to get statistics.

I have been using Veritas Backup Exec for five years.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

They have always been good.

Its price is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We are very happy with Veritas, and we work with them consistently for our servicing. We are a reseller, and we have been their Value Added Reseller of the Year three times.

This solution has been good for us. We have had good support. It is very stable, and it works for our customers. Only the reporting feature needs to be fixed.

I would rate Veritas Backup Exec an eight out of ten.

MS
IT Infrastructure Services at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Is stable but needs to update the technology

• "It's quite stable, and so far, we have had no technical issues with Veritas Backup Exec."
  • "The backup is not robust enough when you have a lot of technology."

What is most valuable?

The automation, backup, database backup, and SQL module are valuable features.

It is quite stable as well.

What needs improvement?

They need to make sure that they follow the technology and update in general to be up with modern technologies.

The backup is not robust enough when you have a lot of technology.

I've been working with this solution for seven years.

It's quite stable, and so far, we have had no technical issues with Veritas Backup Exec.

The initial setup was simple. It takes about 8 people to maintain the operational side of things.

Licensing depends on the part of the backup you're using. If you have SQL backup, then you must have a SQL license. If you have normal data backup, you would require a license for that.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this solution at six.

Download our free Veritas Backup Exec Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.