Veritas Backup Exec OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Veritas Backup Exec is the #16 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Veritas Backup Exec vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Veritas Backup Exec?

Backup Exec delivers powerful, flexible, and easy-to-use backup and recovery to protect your entire infrastructure whether built upon virtual, physical, or a combination of both. Backup Exec is licensed per media server, agent and option.

Veritas Backup Exec is also known as Backup Exec, Symantec Backup Exec.

Veritas Backup Exec Buyer's Guide

Download the Veritas Backup Exec Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2021

Veritas Backup Exec Customers

Beta Offshore

Veritas Backup Exec Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Veritas Backup Exec pricing:
  • "There is an evaluation license available to test this solution."
  • "It is a mid-range solution on the pricing scale."
  • "It has a good price-value ratio. Its price-value ratio is better than Veeam."

SP
IT Network Analyst at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Excellent backup capabilities with good technical support and a fairly easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution daily for daily backups and weekly for full backups and monthly for the stuff that gets sent off-site.

• "The backup potential of the solution is very good. It's protected us in the past very well and allowed us to get up and running after an attack with minimal loss."
  • "Something within the software itself isn't quite right. There may be a bug or glitch. It will work fine for weeks and then all of a sudden it just tanks."

What other advice do I have?

We're currently considering looking for a new solution. We want to see what is out there. This product is also quite expensive. Having a reliable backup is essential to your company. For example, we were using this product to back up one of our servers that got the CryptoLocker virus. We were able to go back and restore it to just a few hours previous to the attack and we were able to get everybody right back up and running within a day, in less than a day's time. It absolutely could have just spread right through the whole environment had we not caught it. This solution gave us the ability to…
MasoudGhorbani
Senior Network Administrator at MapnaBE
Fully compatible with different tape libraries and has easy user and file recovery

What is our primary use case?

I use it in many uses, for example for Microsoft Exchange and for databases, for active directory and file servers. I use Backup Exec because it has agents for different software and is based on your infrastructure.

• "Veritas Backup Exec is fully compatible with different tape libraries."
  • "A web console would be great because nowadays a lot of products are web-based and you can access the console from various environments. So I would recommend bringing this feature in the next solution."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Veritas Backup Exec an eight. I would advise that it's not important which product you use because I think most of the products are good quality and nowadays have at least a standard because of technological enhancements, but it's more important to understand the concept of back-up and recovery. For example, how many jobs are needed, what is your infrastructure, what storage do you need, things like that. Having knowledge of data and back-up recovery is more important than the actual solution. It's not important which tools you use, because nowadays all…
Learn what your peers think about Veritas Backup Exec. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KO
Chief Technology Officer/Director at a tech company with 11-50 employees
Supports differential backup, as well as granular file restore from specific points in backup history

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider, and some of my clients are using this solution. The primary use case is to back up system applications such as SQL databases and Microsoft Exchange. It is also for backing up the user's files, which are kept on the server. This solution will back up your server, and it will work on both Windows and Linux. My experience is with an on-premises deployment model.

• "This solution is not complex and you do not have to be too technical to use it."
  • "The price of this solution is very high."

What other advice do I have?

Depending on the size of the data being backed up, it can take a couple of hours to complete. This is a solution that keeps evolving with technology. They know the trend of cyber attacks, so Veritas try as much as possible to build up their backup solution to combat whatever attack is in trend. They recently sent me a document that shows that their data protection can mitigate against ransomware. This is good for enterprise clients because it shows that they are thinking of their customers. A lot of organizations today are afraid of ransomware, and Veritas is ensuring that they are…
Suman Jha
Manager - Backup & DR Global Infrastructure at TMF Group
Easily restore data with this package designed for simple environments

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is that we are using it for backup mostly with Hyper-V service.

• "The product makes it easy to restore data."
  • "It could be improved in the area of reporting and ease-of-use."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering this product would be to know how many servers have to be covered and the complexity of the environment as well as the capabilities of Backup Exec. Veritas cannot handle a complex environment very well. It is really only designed for a simple environment. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I can rate Veritas Backup Exec as somewhere around eight. It has some very good capabilities but limitations with system complexity, user-friendliness, and depth of reporting.
Pawel Augustyn
System Senior Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good stability, good price-value ratio, and easy to use for backup, encryption, and restore operations

• "It has good stability. Its interface is very good, responsive, and easy for restoring data. I use it for backup, encryption, and restore operations, and it works. I am using many agents from VM to LMDP. I also use an agent for SQL Server, which has advanced options because it is the Enterprise version."
  • "It is currently missing the dynamic backup feature for virtual machines, which is available in NetWorker. I can create politics in NetWorker to add virtual machines with specific tags, but I cannot do this in Backup Exec, which is a minus point for me. Currently, a user has to send a request to the Backup administrator to add a machine to the backup, but I should be able to create rules to automatically add a new machine to the backup. This kind of functionality is very important in current times, especially when we are using cloud solutions. I should be able to create more than one stream in a policy and specify how many streams I want to run in parallel in one policy. Currently, I have to manually create more policies to backup more than one virtual machine at the same time. Their support can also be improved in terms of response time."

What other advice do I have?

It has good replication, and it is better than other products. It is good for backing up not only VMs but also clients. It is also good for SQL Server and NDMP data servers. I would rate Veritas Backup Exec an eight out of ten.
Vandy Va
Head Of IT Infrastructure at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Very fast with good backup capabilities but can be a bit expensive

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for the backup capabilities of our whole system, including our applications. We don't use it as a VM backup, however. We're able to handle daily backups of everything and we tend to back up quite regularly.

• "The solution is very fast. It does not take a long time to backup everything."
  • "The pricing of the solution is a bit high."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company. The solution is a bit expensive. The trade magazines seem to imply that you can do a virtual environment for almost the same price, which would be better. Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. It's okay. It could be better in a variety of ways.
Ricardo Christie
Tape Library Associate at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A great back-up solution that recovers data, applications, databases and systems

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for file backups. We use it for Veeam, Exchange, and Sharepoint. Within our organization, roughly five people had access to this solution.

• "The ease-of-use in general is great."
  • "If you keep it for too long and the catalog gets really big, the application tends to move slowly."

What other advice do I have?

It's very easy to use. It's easier than all of the other backup solutions available. In terms of ease-of-use, Backup Exec is the most straightforward one that I have dealt with. On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.
PK
Desktop Support Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, simple to set up, and offers good technical support

What is our primary use case?

It's great for the kind of customer who doesn't have a dedicated database environment. They only use it for file folders or a NAS system backup, or a few files or folder-level backups for the system.

• "The flexibility is very good."
  • "There needs to be an integration process of the endpoint devices so that we don't have to redo everything for different products."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the solution for mid-range customers or customers that have a very small infrastructure setup. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. Overall, we've had a great experience with its capabilities. I'd recommend the solution to others. Of course, it needs to be as per the customer requirements. In many environments, we are currently recommending the NetApp Backup or this Backup Exec. It's completely dependent on the customer environment.
See 6 more Veritas Backup Exec Reviews
Download our free Veritas Backup Exec Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.